• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pretty cool i though

Comment

Pretty cool i thought

Comment

Back to music over politics.

The 3 day Primavera festival in Porto was brilliant, or, at least the two days that I got to. Flew out of Dublin Wednesday and arrived in Porto around 11:00pm. Nipped out for a few drinks just to get a feel of where we were staying and home by 2am.

Up Thursday morning, sprinting to the toilet. Decided to stay at home as the others went out for breakfast to lash Imodium into me and to be close to the toilet...

A few hours later, we headed to the festival. As we're standing at the bus stop, I feel a cold sweat coming over me and bolt back to the Air BnB, which, thankfully, was very close by and spent the night not knowing which end of my body to place over the toilet - haven't been that violently ill in a long time. The rest of the crew fell in the door around 4am.

Friday morning, I pumped as much drugs as possible into myself and had the most miserable breakfast of dry toast and a boiled egg and then headed to the festival. Had some food there and swerved the booze bar one beer watching Beck. Bailed at 2am while the rest stayed on until after 5.

Saturday, I was right as rain and rearing to go. ALL the food and ALL the drink was consumed and it was a proper festival day. No idea when we got home.

Music highlights were Little Simz, Beck, Gorillaz, King Krule, Interpol and a nice chilled session from Slowdive as the sun set.

Sunday was up and over to Lamego in the Douro Valley for 3 days of full on rancho relaxo spending the day by the pool, sipping cool drinks and the evenings doing wine tours/eating good food/drinking really good cheap wine - Not a Tuesday wine to be seen but yet all were cheaper than a Tuesday wine, go figure, fucking Irish taxes on booze! Checked on one of the wines we drank a fair bit of and retail price in Dublin is 24 quid where as restaurant price in Lamego was 29 quid and we were most likely paying a tourist tax at that.

Absolutely super week. It's so unbelievably amazing to be back at festivals. Throw in a lovely bit of sunshine that just makes the whole vibe even better and you're away on a hack - Can't wait to go again!

Comment

At Riverdance tonight. I gotta say ... fucking class. The daughter took an hour to sleep asking me to talk her through the pay and conditions of her future career as a professional Irish dancer.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Night out with:
            1 * environmental campaigner
            1 * multi millionaire
            1 * bum
            1 * journalist

Will be tough to seize the day tomorrow.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I was at festival in Margate which is about as far away in all forms as you can get from Primavera.

It much be sponsored by the local council to breathe some life into the place because the tickets were practically free to see George Fitz,Floating Points,Bicep,Max Cooper,Comet Is Coming.

The downside being the extreme grimness of Margate, and just generally being in England.

I have a friend in London that lives in some sort of artist collective commune. He brought along some of his compadres. Who were mostly grand.

But I struggled with one couple who made themselves at home in our airbnb after parking up their bikes in the sitting room.

They went around in (practically black) bare feet and were hairy and smelly. I could only think that only with the backing of a very wealthy family could one take up such a bohemian life. "If you called your dad he could stop it all" etc etc.

This is where it gets relevant.
              One of the couple was fortyish with a large beard, and introduced themselves as 'Peace' and stated they go by 'them and they'. Both of the couple went by them/they.

I never considered raising the point with them. And maybe I'm being a dickhead in doubting their sincerity. But I would have bet my life that they've both been 'they/them' only since it became a talking point. And it was attention-seeking / being an imposition / too much time smoking opium. They were very vocal in general about what they did/didn't approve of/agree with.

Essentially it really came across as taking away from the people who actually struggle in this area. And turning it frivolous bandwagon.
              Last edited by Denny Crane; 23-06-22, 00:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                I was at festival in Margate which is about as far away in all forms as you can get from Primavera.

It much be sponsored by the local council to breathe some life into the place because the tickets were practically free to see George Fitz,Floating Points,Bicep,Max Cooper,Comet Is Coming.

The downside being the extreme grimness of Margate, and just generally being in England.

I have a friend in London that lives in some sort of artist collective commune. He brought along some of his compadres. Who were mostly grand.

But I struggled with one couple who made themselves at home in our airbnb after parking up their bikes in the sitting room.

They went around in (practically black) bare feet and were hairy and smelly. I could only think that only with the backing of a very wealthy family could one take up such a bohemian life. "If you called your dad he could stop it all" etc etc.

One of the couple was fortyish with a large beard, and introduced themselves as 'Peace' and stated they go by 'them and they'. Both of the couple went by them/they.

I never considered raising the point with them. And maybe I'm being a dickhead in doubting their sincerity. But I would have bet my life that they've both been 'they/them' only since it became a talking point. And it was attention-seeking / being an imposition / too much time smoking opium. They were very vocal in general about what they did/didn't approve of/agree with.

Essentially it really came across as taking away from the people who actually struggle in this area. And turning it frivolous bandwagon.

You should have introduced yourself as a series of bird whistles!

Thankfully I dont have any exposure to this type of extreme aresholeism.

Comment

I would have just kept staring blankly at they/them

Comment

Little Simz was absolutely incredible in Primavera when I saw her a few weeks ago. One of those festival moments where I ended up at her accidentally and it was class.

Idles also turned in a massive set.

Made me almost forgive the English their sins for a brief moment, but then segued into the more comfortable position that the ethic minority English and the Northern English are a great bunch of lads altogether.
                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Doubt I’d manage to maintain my politeness for a few days of that craic.

But I don’t think it’s always money. Back in the old Shell to Sea days I knew a couple of people out in Corrib doing the protesting and I popped out that way a couple of times. There were a few hippie Brits around the place, complete outsiders from society and they essentially travelled around from one eco protest group to another living communally. I genuinely didn’t believe some of them to be slumming until they inherit Daddy’s fortune. They’re always running from something mind.

One positive of Brexit is the loss of their EU citizenship means they can’t draw their dole in other countries!
                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Wouldn't you always refer to a party of more than one as they/them?
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                          Wouldn't you always refer to a party of more than one as they/them?
                          NO so fast young fellow me lad. Groups of people no longer wish to be identified as they/them as it’s pluralist.

Comment

Beautiful harmony in two posts.

Post 1.

Comment

Post 2:

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                Night out with:
                                1 * environmental campaigner
                                1 * multi millionaire
                                1 * bum
                                1 * journalist

Will be tough to seize the day tomorrow.
                                Trying to guess which IPB members you were out with. Think I have 3.
                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

fu wombat

Comment

What a strange analogy.

There are current SF public representatives, North and South, who have murdered people. You can't say that about FF or FG.

It would be pretty odd to ask a FF voter to take into account Civil War incidents. Or, say, a Democratic voter in the US to take account of Jim Crow.
                                    It wasn’t an analogy, or an equation. It’s was simply a question. Was generally interested in your view, as I thought some of the logic wheeled out for Lloyd was very myopic.
                                    I did think the point was kinda obvious - to be clear the above it not it.

Comment

House prices up on census news.

Comment

That Mick Lynch guy is so fucking cool.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          He's the embodiment of idgaf.

Comment

This puts the children's hospital into perspective - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-as-18-billion

Mexico’s New Oil Refinery’s Cost Doubles to as Much as $18 Billion

Some further reading about Pemex, Mexicos nationilised oil producer

Mexico is running out of gas. The world's sixth largest producer of oil and America's third largest source of crude imports faces declining production at its primary oil fields, and the well may be dry in less than a decade. Meanwhile, the structure and management of Pemex (Petróleos Mexicanos), Mexico's state-owned oil monopoly, coupled with the government's historic dependence on its revenues, have limited the country's ability to bolster its reserves. What lies ahead for Pemex and for Mexico's goal of energy independence?…Read More

Comment

I’d say the British media is working overtime to find some dirt on him. If all else fails they can just label him an anti semite.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

I’d say the British media is working overtime to find some dirt on him. If all else fails they can just label him an anti semite.
                                                A Tory MP has gone with "he's helping Putin". The Nazi/WW2 comparisons can't be far off, or maybe this is just it in the modern form
                                                airport, lol

Comment

Thanks to social media he's gotten the head start on them with the public.

Comment

Kay Burleys interview with him was David Brent levels of cringe

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                      Post 2:

SPOILER
                                                      PM is such a tool.

A simple laugh at the irony of the joke and then a few questions.

K Burley another tool.
                                                      Sick of all of them at this stage.

Or that other gowl that interviewed J Peterson ages ago

"So you're saying that.....(insert wild inaccuracy here)"
                                                      Last edited by dinekes; 23-06-22, 13:48.

Comment

He's my favourite union leader

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                          Kay Burleys interview with him was David Brent levels of cringe
                                                          Must be impossible for comedians to do satire at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                            Must be impossible for comedians to do satire at this stage.
                                                            We've been through the looking glass for some time. Definite glitch in the program.

Comment

Is it as simple as someone who knows their stuff and wants to talk about it and refuses to be dragged into trivia is just so unusual on TV?

He is seriously competent and doing a good job of making sure people listen to his main points and I guess that is basically it? But that is so refreshingly different from what 'mediatainment' has delivered to the idiocractic world we life in now that he's absolutely worth watching every second over anything else that plugs up tv.

Top man.

Comment

This is class

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                  Is it as simple as someone who knows their stuff and wants to talk about it and refuses to be dragged into trivia is just so unusual on TV?

He is seriously competent and doing a good job of making sure people listen to his main points and I guess that is basically it? But that is so refreshingly different from what 'mediatainment' has delivered to the idiocractic world we life in now that he's absolutely worth watching every second over anything else that plugs up tv.

Top man.
                                                                  He's on QI tonight I think.
                                                                  The one worry I have is he becomes a celebrity and as soon as he takes any kind of gig he's a sell out and his points are invalid.
                                                                  This I feel will be the rod they try to use.
                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

They appear completely focussed now on trying to get him to come out as a 'Marxist'
                                                                    just fantastic entertainment.
                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Top man.
                                                                      That's it exactly.
                                                                      in fairness to the Beeb you will find people like that every day of the week on Newsnight and on the R4 news programmes.

Comment

Hopefully he hasn't praised any murals of hook nosed bankers controlling the world
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

One for fans of freakish sporting moments, earlier today in the cricket (clearest pic of WTF happened is at about 47s):

Comment

Probably the strangest thing of all was that the mid-off caught the ball. Most fielders would have been looking towards the boundary where the ball was hurtling to at high speed for 4 runs!

Comment

Probably the strangest thing of all was that the mid-off caught the ball. Most fielders would have been looking towards the boundary where the ball was hurtling to at high speed for 4 runs!
                                                                                Hit twice rule doesn't apply there?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                  Hit twice rule doesn't apply there?
                                                                                  No. Hit twice is a (extremely rare) form of dismissal but it refers to the actual batsman, not the non-striker. Really freakish (like there's no way he could have done that if he tried).

Comment

Isn't being pro Brexit enough ?
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

The IT have discovered the real reason for the housing problem dad.JPG

Comment

Did you see any of Derry Girls? Cracking series I thought. Anyway, had a great little ending:

It’s been a quarter century Tony, time to move on.
                                                                                        This conversation has none of the sophistication of Derry Girls but give it 40 minutes and reflect for a while on how some of the ideas might have resonance and amplicons for an Ireland where the GFA has institutionalized sectarianism and SF/IRA are commanding us to forget the past and not to question what possible harm could come of having a man who is the most prolific mass murderer alive in the British Isles as a government minister.

Last Monday's Start The Week

Well worth a listen IMO, I guarantee RDIII will be salivating at the tales the Israeli guy is telling and will have his book ordered before the program finishes but it's Philippe Sands that I find compelling.

Comment

Top man.
                                                                                          Would say that being the head of a union he has had to shut down a lot of lunatics over the years.

What he is putting up with now probably doesn’t even register.

Comment

Would say that being the head of a union he has had to shut down a lot of lunatics over the years.

What he is putting up with now probably doesn’t even register.
                                                                                            He's going to be on question time on BBC1 this evening.
                                                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Top man.
                                                                                              He might be talking utter balderdash for all I care but his refusal to even entertain the 'gotcha' crap that his interviewers are pathetically trying on is great.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Isn't being pro Brexit enough ?
                                                                                                ha, good catch. So he might be a muppet but he's a personable one.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

He's going to be on question time on BBC1 this evening.
                                                                                                  Out for pints tonight so will miss him answering an actual question

Comment

Pierce Morgan is a child. I know being a child myself id have taken the bait and rose to his deliberate rising . I do admire folk who stay this calm . At least im not on TV and getting older has calmed me down but JESUS ID LOVE TO FLOOR MORGAN. His nose is perfect for a left hook.

Comment

ha, good catch. So he might be a muppet but he's a personable one.
                                                                                                      The union was pro brexit, this was before he was head. I get the feeling his is first and foremost a union man.
                                                                                                      Also, they cant exactly hold that against him given its the government position

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

This conversation has none of the sophistication of Derry Girls but give it 40 minutes and reflect for a while on how some of the ideas might have resonance and amplicons for an Ireland where the GFA has institutionalized sectarianism and SF/IRA are commanding us to forget the past and not to question what possible harm could come of having a man who is the most prolific mass murderer alive in the British Isles as a government minister.

Last Monday's Start The Week

Well worth a listen IMO, I guarantee RDIII will be salivating at the tales the Israeli guy is telling and will have his book ordered before the program finishes but it's Philippe Sands that I find compelling.
                                                                                                        Is that the finglas lad u are referring to

Comment

On the other side of the world is Trump ironically going to end up draining the swamp?

Comment

Coilcam and Gab, can you share a link to that sharpening stone you posted about before. I had it saved on an older phone.

Comment

Mick Lynch must seem like a complete novelty to gig economy employees and zero hour contract workers.

He is trending like mad on TiKTok because a whole generation have never heard the likes of what he is saying and I expect they are absolutely loving it.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

On the other side of the world is Trump ironically going to end up draining the swamp?
                                                                                                                At least you won't see him on a bicycle

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

What an answer. The Brits won't like that. Love how the video ends with the interviewer saying but what about, what about and not getting a name out before it ends lol

Comment

Question Time regularly shows me that the general public are by and large, fucking idiots.

Comment

Mick laying down some Tory truths about Boris, the deathly silence from the tory heavy audience was pretty funny.

Comment

If one was to go to the Dublin Horse Show, what day would give the most entertainment to easily-bored kids, and easily-bored adults? Ideally not finale day as it will be packed. The website programme seems highly complicated with a million different activities every day. Thought I remember some sort of thing where the riders take turns to run around a ring jumping over things and there is some sort of jump-off at the end.

The Dublin Horse Show - 14-18 August 2024 is a celebration of Ireland's affinity with the horse. From the best show horses to the best international showjumpers. It is one of Ireland's largest events, a highlight of the summer, each year welcoming tens of thousands of people from Ireland and all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                          What an answer. The Brits won't like that. Love how the video ends with the interviewer saying but what about, what about and not getting a name out before it ends lol

I imagine that less than 1% of Britain has any idea who he is. Will whoosh right over everyone's heads.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X