This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loads of golf left.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Sky high rents and house prices suit some sectors. You'd almost think FG were serving their interests.

The idea that SF are going to make a dent in the crisis, nay disaster, seems no less fanciful than expecting FG\FF to do it considering their record of dismal failure after dismal failure.
      Last edited by Wombatman; 19-06-22, 20:55.
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I’ve always though that Ireland needs a good second city. And that would solve a lot of the problems.

No one wants to really live anywhere but Dublin or close to Dublin because it’s the only true city and where things are happening and infrastructure is decent.

but because of that it gets all the spending. And so the cycle continues.

Likely not politically tenable to tell 1/3 pop that a lot of tax money needs to go into Cork or Limerick or Galway but You’d have to think it’d be a massive net benefit for a range of issues .
        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
          Sky high rents and house prices suit some sectors. You'd almost think FG were serving their interests.

The idea that SF are going to make a dent in the crisis, nay disaster, seems no less fanciful than expecting FG\FF to do it considering their record of dismal failure after dismal failure.
          On the other hand, maybe this narrative of FG being in the pockets of business and special interests, and having a Thatcherite free market mindset is all bollox. Maybe they've done a cost analysis on SF's simple idea and realised it won't work. It's not some genius idea after all.

Why do we need to go through a generation of pain while a bunch of incompetent populists learn this?
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

On the other hand, maybe this narrative of FG being in the pockets of business and special interests, and having a Thatcherite free market mindset is all bollox. Maybe they've done a cost analysis on SF's simple idea and realised it won't work. It's not some genius idea after all.
            We have the most redistributive income tax system.in Europe. We're the exact opposite of Thatcherites and anyone trying out such a nonsensical attempt at labelling is a moron.

Why do we need to go through a generation of pain while a bunch of incompetent populists learn this?
            It's the spirit of the age. It's happening everywhere.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Could live with a Fitzpatrick win- a rare likeable English golfer
              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I could be argued that it's would be less delusional to risk an unproven alternative than believing that those who have already put us through 'a generation of pain' aren't going to deliver more of the same.

Comment

I could be argued that it's would be less delusional to risk an unproven alternative than believing that those who have already put us through 'a generation of pain' aren't going to deliver more of the same.
                  Housing problems aside, did we not just go through a generation of growth and prosperity?

Comment

Housing problems aside, did we not just go through a generation of growth and prosperity?
                    It's very similar to America 2016. A country that is extraordinarily prosperous by any standard, yet with a bubbling undertone of resentment and anger that allows voters to convince themselves that populist bullshitters will make them great again, whatever that means. We shall see.

Comment

Yeah, that must be why most people are willing to take a risk on a bunch of dodgy ex-terrorists.

Comment

Yeah, that must be why most people are willing to take a risk on a bunch of dodgy ex-terrorists.
                        We were PIGS in 2008. In the gutter. Competent stewardship got us not only out of it, but into a position we were in in 2002, except this time the wealth wasn't a credit card. Pure and proper prosperity.

Problems for sure but why can't we as a nation be mature enough to recognise we have competence in leadership and work together to plug leaks?

Sure lets spend 15 years heading to the gutter of populist incompetence instead. Sure we'll be better as a country if they try and fail. Up the Ra.

Comment

Have one older lady who comes in with a list of books periodically. Recommended Amor Towles to her and she loved it (A Gentleman in Moscow) and then "The Lincoln Highway" later.

Have recommended them to so many people now.

Theres something very gratifying about it. Their trust in your judgement rewarded with a fantastic immersive read.

(Credit to RD3 who originally touted AGIM here)

Comment

Why does Fitzpatrick leave the flagstick in when he's putting? Seems to be the only one who does it, is there some theory behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Why does Fitzpatrick leave the flagstick in when he's putting? Seems to be the only one who does it, is there some theory behind it?
                              He’s too lazy

Comment

During covid, you couldn't touch the flagstick for a long time. I assume he just got used to it as he's said something along the lines of a better visual target. Plenty of amateurs leave it in but mostly laziness on their part. He's a quiet likeable golfer, goes about his business with minimum fuss.

Whatever about the flag and his distance improvement. For me the big one is his switch to cack-handed (reverse) grip for the short game stuff. Started as a training drill and he adopted it. The results have been immense.

Comment

I like balfe's explanation better.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

During covid, you couldn't touch the flagstick for a long time. I assume he just got used to it as he's said something along the lines of a better visual target. Plenty of amateurs leave it in but mostly laziness on their part. He's a quiet likeable golfer, goes about his business with minimum fuss.

Whatever about the flag and his distance improvement. For me the big one is his switch to cack-handed (reverse) grip for the short game stuff. Started as a training drill and he adopted it. The results have been immense.
                                    He was already a WC putter. The extra distance has got him here imo

Comment

I like balfe's explanation better.
                                      Well for me Balfe is spot on. Laziness . Cant be arsed taking it out

Comment

Funking for Zalatoris but Fitz be ok too i guess

Comment

Two shot swing not out of question here.

Comment

Two shot swing not out of question here.
                                            Clutch shot out of the bunker in fairness. Zalatoris will get a bug one soon enough I'd imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Clutch shot out of the bunker in fairness. Zalatoris will get a bug one soon enough I'd imagine.
                                              Yeah, the definition of clutch.

Comment

Greg Norman right now.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                  I’ve always though that Ireland needs a good second city. And that would solve a lot of the problems.

No one wants to really live anywhere but Dublin or close to Dublin because it’s the only true city and where things are happening and infrastructure is decent.

but because of that it gets all the spending. And so the cycle continues.

Likely not politically tenable to tell 1/3 pop that a lot of tax money needs to go into Cork or Limerick or Galway but You’d have to think it’d be a massive net benefit for a range of issues .
                                                  Cork has had their chance. We need a new second city not tainted by years of failure.

Comment

If you asked the average person where Ireland ranks on any statistic they would guess about 20 - 50% lower than we are. People complain all the time about things without any context as to what is actually realistic. There are gigantic problems facing every developed democracy, and compared to most of them we are doing very well, superbly in fact for some.

Not only that but for some of the problems we have very few people would actually vote for the solution necessary. Want to get rid of hospital waiting lists? Cool, we're going to need you to pay a lot more tax. Oh, you want the rich to pay for it? Sure. We already have one of the highest, highest marginal tax rates in the world (52%) so that might be tricky.

Want to fix housing? Cool, let's use compulsory purchase orders to replace most single-family homes within 5km of the city centre with apartments.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                      I was speaking at an event the other day and Ronan Lyons was talking about Irish property and demographics.

He made a few very solid points that I’ve been musing on myself that he had some specific data to articulate.
                                                      • We’re not planning for any reasonable range of population growth over the next 15/20 years. Somewhere between 500k and 1.5m more folk in the next 20 years. That’s 100% a planning/govt issue.
                                                      • The planning process is badly broken versus other European countries and in particular when it comes to large projects which could really change the game. We need clear criteria that these projects need to meet and once they do then they should be allowed to crack on. These projects are generally on infill sites in cities so by not having a structure like this the door is open for endless legal objections.
                                                      • Vacant property tax is an illusion of a problem solver. Not enough data to do it right and even so the “vacant” stuff isn’t as much as we think as a lot is due to old folk in nursing home and/or properties slowly going through probate which wouldn’t have to pay any reasonable vacant tax anyway.
                                                      • People are being forced to migrate out of Dublin. We’re almost unique in Europe for cities becoming less populated over the past decade. This is no longer about folk not being able to live and work down the country where they are originally from but about Dubs and other city folk not being able to afford to live near their families. This is the reason for major political backlash for all age groups imo.
                                                      • We do nntot have the right mix of accommodation to meet the needs of different cohorts. We need much more student accommodation, young professional rental apartments, retirement communities for downsizers. We keep building 3/4 bed semi Ds but on his analysis we have enough of those it’s the other stuff which we are glaringly missing versus other European countries.
                                                      Anyway I thought he was speaking a lot of sense.

He mentioned at one stage that he personally has a lot more confidence in the current crop of professional developers operating in the Irish market, to deliver quality projects at scale, versus 15/20 years ago but given the planning and other uncertainties he didn’t have confidence if that would matter.
                                                      Dublin being restricted to a low rise city is a massive part of the problem. I get that people naturally prefer houses over apartments but they need to recognize sometimes owning and living in an apartment is better for some circumstances. Whould certainly acheive more than people complain about how they can't afford a 4 bed house with a garage as a single person. No shit.

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Desperately need to introduce / change legislation that requires someone to prove they have a direct interest in a proposed built in order to raise an objection, and the bar for that needs to set very high.
                                                      As in make it harder to object, and less spurious objections. Absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post

I often hear this soft handed office boy logic. If you are on 80k p/a as a labourer, the skilled trades must be on 100-150k p/a so? If you can't ride out a 5 or 6 year recession after being on that dough.. I've zero sympathy tbh.
                                                        800/day is 40k gross, not 80k.
                                                        Entry level skilled trades would start on less, as they are not skilled starting out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                          Whould certainly acheive more than people complain about how they can't afford a 4 bed house with a garage as a single person. No shit.
                                                          Pearse Doherty is on the average industrial wage, as are all SF TDs, allegedly.
                                                          He's building a 286 sq/m luxury coastal house.

Now if he can build an enormous home like that on the average industrial wage, no wonder he thinks everyone else can too. SF-economics. It's magic you see.

Comment

Well, the aim of this would be to lower house prices, not inflate any bubble.

I think SF getting elected to come in to try, and then trying and failing will be positive. It will move us on and potentially focus the electorate's minds on necessary solutions.

Nonetheless, the challenge is big the chances of success are low but ever more people are desperate for something to be tried. Since the housing crisis came into consciousness we've had a half-decade of being told nothing can really be done or various ways to argue that there isn't a problem. It clearly isn't washing, the polling trends are clear. So I think we'll all get to see how unworkable SF's policies are in due course!
                                                            This is an incredible statement.
                                                            A large portion of my mates are shinners, I get the desire to do 'something' different. Having these mates is great as I constantly have to question my own views as pragmatic vs conservative, accusations breed introspection. I'd never put myself down as that but left/right is seemingly the only line they see. However, the seemingly implied line of reasoning from them (and others) of "if it doesn't work at least it's not FFG" seems ridiculously short sighted. If we are in for as rocky a ride as many are predicting and accepting failure now seems to skip over how bad things could actually get.
                                                            If we can call out and highlight the issues with their manifesto now, surely SF themselves are capable of the same and the only reason they don't change it to something more measured or realistic is that it's not a vote getter (lie). It's becoming increasingly likely that SF will be in power the next election cycle. I'd love to be wrong but I fear the worst.
                                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-06-22, 09:50.
                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Is it just me who thinks the SF use of 'FFG' is as bas as people who refer to SF as 'SFIRA' as a matter of course?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post
                                                                Is it just me who thinks the SF use of 'FFG' is as bas as people who refer to SF as 'SFIRA' as a matter of course?
                                                                It's the same way as the Trumpists use 'liberal' as an epithet.

Comment

think ye are exaggerating the neg impact SF will have . For a start there are no extremes in Irish politics , no real far left and no real far right. So it’s more about their history (for some people) The current Government (s) don’t deserve some much credit for an apparent Tech funded booming economy (look what Bertie had pissed on) . If SF simply copied the performance of our recent governments it will be failure anyway. The New Childrens Hospital is ‘EVERYTHING ‘ that is wrong with this country. I’m not going to get into a political debate but a SHAKE UP is needed.
                                                                  So what is the worst case scenario with an SF led government? Actually we are on he cusp of a major recession, so it’s already a poison chalice running this shambles.
                                                                  The housing crises as described here, does need a change in mindset as to how/where we should live. Look at Europe. Our transport system is SHOCKING considering how long we’ve had the money to do something about it. Again Look at Europe. In Finland for example the need to commute in your car is lessened by the transport infrastructure . The amount of strangled traffic on the M50 each day is a testament to who badly we’ve got our transport system worked out. I think though that the ordinary Irish businessmen are doing a great job under increasing financial constraints .

Also – the fuel crises . They should turn off heating for 90% of the fking country. It’s JUNE.

Comment

Ye can’t build up in Dublin you would end up ruining the “iconic” skyline - imagine the Irish times tears
                                                                    Fuck all the Dublin NIMBYS- need to build up, blanket Dublin bay with wind turbines and level the cobblestone
                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

It's very similar to America 2016. A country that is extraordinarily prosperous by any standard, yet with a bubbling undertone of resentment and anger that allows voters to convince themselves that populist bullshitters will make them great again, whatever that means. We shall see.
                                                                      Sorry, nope.

Housing is an issue that affects people who work and pay tax and are ambitious and have achieved stuff. And it means SF’s coalition is beyond wasters and republicans and angry people. Well beyond it - which the polling attests to.

FFG are creating a new constituency who are locked out of the things that would have normally converted them to the stable “status quo”. Blah blahing it all away as misinformed anger betrays a lack of empathy and understanding imo.
                                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

people who work and pay tax and are ambitious and have achieved stuff
                                                                        voted for Trump and Brexit too...

Comment

Luckily Mary Lou, another alleged battler on the Average Industrial Wage, is safely ensconced in a €1m mansion herself.

How do they do it? It's the same trick as Trump and Boris pulled; actually being elitists but managing to convince embittered people that they have been 'left behind'. It works extremely well, until the point where you have to actually take responsibility. Then, not so good but at least they won't have to worry about the paying the bill personally.

Comment

Pearse Doherty is on the average industrial wage, as are all SF TDs, allegedly.
                                                                            He's building a 286 sq/m luxury coastal house.

Now if he can build an enormous home like that on the average industrial wage, no wonder he thinks everyone else can too. SF-economics. It's magic you see.
                                                                            Well definitely not all, after it emerged Dessie Ellis was taking the full 90k. I presume a number of others applied for financial difficultly "exemptions."
                                                                            Pearse would have also collet a senators salary at one point, probably another for SF Youth.

That said any money that is not taken home and is put to use is commendable. It might not be the max, but its not nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Well definitely not all, after it emerged Dessie Ellis was taking the full 90k. I presume a number of others applied for financial difficultly "exemptions."
                                                                              Pearse would have also collet a senators salary at one point, probably another for SF Youth.

That said any money that is not taken home and is put to use is commendable. It might not be the max, but its not nothing.
                                                                              You can see why he thinks money from the state is a magic money tree in fairness. Some house!

Can't wait until SF get in and upgrade all of us to a pad like himself, or Mary Loo's.

Comment

Relevant after recent discussion

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Common sense that this is the line. Was only a matter of time. I've expect most organisations to follow suit. The IOC will be the big one.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Have the LGBT community lauded this move ?

Also why does LGBT need an L ? Does the G not cover it ?

Comment

... Bit random but selling 2 tickers to Abba voyage on Friday 1st July in London... Hoping someone here lives or knows someone that lives there... €200 for the pair ONO (selling for a friend)...

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Some will be against, some will be for it. I against will be more vocal, and the for possibly respectfully silent and get on with their day.

As for the second question, nah the G doesn't cover the L imo. As a synonym of homosexual, then obvious lesbians are technically gay. The same way females are part man as a species. But in term of identity, gay means gay men - and lesbians have their own very different identity. In early years they struggled for support and representation with "gay rights" groups. I'd guess even today there not as many lesbian bars as gay bars.

When you think about it, a gay man as as much in common with a straight man as he does a lesbian.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                          ... Bit random but selling 2 tickers to Abba voyage on Friday 1st July in London... Hoping someone here lives or knows someone that lives there... €200 for the pair ONO (selling for a friend)...
                                                                                          GLWS, sorry I'm not interested in buying but if anyone is in London it's well worth going to see even if you're not one of the 95% of superfans in attendance. You could try throwing it up on Toutless.

Comment

What was the 'vagabonds living in caravans' bit about? I'm assuming he didn't mean Kev's m8s.

I only just seen the full clip earlier today, Doherty looked like he wanted to kill Leo

Pearse Doherty and Leo Varadkar had a heated row in the Dáil and it quickly got personal. Very personal.

Comment

voted for Trump and Brexit too...
                                                                                              Mary Lou McDonald = Trump / Johnson is quite the stretch, isn’t it?
                                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

FWIW

Comment

Mary Lou McDonald = Trump / Johnson is quite the stretch, isn’t it?
                                                                                                  Not 'equals', as in not all populists are the same but they share similar characteristics. One of which is how they mobilize support.

Comment

Starting to try to use US spelling as a half-arsed, sorry haf-assed, attempt at cultural integration.

Comment

Starting to try to use US spelling as a half-arsed, sorry haf-assed, attempt at cultural integration.
                                                                                                      Get into the swing of things by telling everyone you interact with to have a great day and calling people sir/mam.

Comment

Get into the swing of things by telling everyone you interact with to have a great day and calling people sir/mam.
                                                                                                        Sadly Boston is too far above the Mason-Dixon line to adopt y'all as a core part of my vocabulary

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                          Ye can’t build up in Dublin you would end up ruining the “iconic” skyline - imagine the Irish times tears
                                                                                                          Fuck all the Dublin NIMBYS- need to build up, blanket Dublin bay with wind turbines and level the cobblestone
                                                                                                          There is huge swaths of land in Dublin that could be used for residential housing.
                                                                                                          A re-imagining of the Naas Road, Ballymount and Park West with the potential to be one of the largest regeneration projects in Europe.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Gonna have to sound like this imo:

That's "chowdah"! Chowdah! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you, especially those of you in the jury!

Comment

Sadly Boston is too far above the Mason-Dixon line to adopt y'all as a core part of my vocabulary
                                                                                                              One memorable encounter I had in rural Georgia years ago went something like this:

So y'all from Ireland?

Yes

So y'all speak Spanish?

Eh...

Comment

Gonna have to sound like this imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-bbYH_akHg
                                                                                                                My boys wicked smaht

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                                  would love to but gigs in crutches is a pain in the arse

Comment

The new Frasier looks a lot different to the old show

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 20-06-22, 16:35.
                                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

would love to but gigs in crutches is a pain in the arse
                                                                                                                      ... There would of course be a 10% crutch discount...

Comment

It was a smart social media move by SF to roll both the parties into one which made space for them in the 2 horse race.

Allowed people to lazily just associate the parties as either SF or all the problems we have had before.

The adoption of that acronym has probably done more to put sf in the frame as the only legitimate opposition as any policy, speech or actual party goal.

You have to respect the game really.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

It was a smart social media move by SF to roll both the parties into one which made space for them in the 2 horse race.

Allowed people to lazily just associate the parties as either SF or all the problems we have had before.

The adoption of that acronym has probably done more to put sf in the frame as the only legitimate opposition as any policy, speech or actual party goal.

You have to respect the game really.
                                                                                                                          What are the substantial differences between FF and FG in terms of policy?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X