This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

A Welsh lad living in abject poverty and with no back story to explain how he came to have many million $$$ to bequest in his will to SF/IRA, for once the money doesn't appear to have been Northern bank cash but the proceeds of drugs and extortion they were having difficulty cleaning after they became subject to (some very little) scrutiny following GFA.
    I'm kinda half looking forward to a SF government and the inevitable clusterfuck implosion that would follow shortly after. It'd be like Syriza or Five Star to the power of ten.

Even better if they had to drag in loons like PBP to prop them up.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

There's definitely kids 'transitioning'. My daughter knows a few.

Mrs D3 has acquired some professional expertise in this area. Her views are unprintable on the topic.
      At what age out of interest? I thought your kids were still primary school age.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

At what age out of interest? I thought your kids were still primary school age.
        Hmmm. I thought his eldest was about 15, and probably not mad on the idea of relocating to the US
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

I'm kinda half looking forward to a SF government and the inevitable clusterfuck implosion that would follow shortly after. It'd be like Syriza or Five Star to the power of ten.

Even better if they had to drag in loons like PBP to prop them up.
          I'm not looking forward to it but i think it's something that needs to happen at this stage. I find it amazing the supposed amount of support they have. it's simply fantastical with no rational thought whatsoever. I'd guess they have <5 competent T.D's.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
            Leo put a nice boot into SF today.
            More Leo put his own foot up his hole rather than the chicken wings he was peddling the other night
            Words that might come back to haunt our incoming Tea Shock

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Gather round children, it'll be story time soon
              Genuinely couldn't begin to post it.

But I'm preferring the posts on here anywhere. CC is going glinner. Love it.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I'm not looking forward to it but i think it's something that needs to happen at this stage. I find it amazing the supposed amount of support they have. it's simply fantastical with no rational thought whatsoever. I'd guess they have <5 competent T.D's.
                Most people who I chat to that mention it's time to give SF a shot and acknowledge their "shortcomings". They're all simply sick of FF/FG and want anyone else. This would/should have been the time for Labour to gain popularity but they've shrank to irrelevancy after being attached to FG and water charges. It didn't help that Burton and Kelly were the faces of the party. Their local candidate in the last GE was more known for kicking a couple of points for the county than anything else. I don't believe he had any involvement in policitics or local affairs previously, an eyebrow-raising choice. Didn't poll well at all. They would have easily had a couple of party stalwarts historically from the council or involved in local issues that could have run. May not have made much difference tbf. In contrast, their previous TD was a Barrister who also had a science degree. They're just fading into obscurity now and the party is barely extant.

Aside from FF/FG vs SF, it's a self-immolating Green Party, a "group" of loudmouth unrealistic loons, and lastly the independents. So the question is, do you give SF the reigns knowing what they're attached to and who are amongst them? Or accept the status quo despite the shortcomings?

Comment

Mrs D3 has acquired some professional expertise in this area. Her views are unprintable on the topic.
                  Leaning which way??

My gods there is some effort expended on this matter when it affects what, 0.01% of the country?
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Most people who I chat to that mention it's time to give SF a shot and acknowledge their "shortcomings". They're all simply sick of FF/FG and want anyone else.
                    Agreed but it's such a fallacy. I also encounter these people and most of them have very little to complain about. Own their own home, decent job, no real financial issues but still are on the SF bandwagon. Of course there are many more out there in worse circumstances who may feel disenfranchised by the incumbents, and hey, maybe they are right. Just feel that anybody rational could not see them as being the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Are children really being maimed or are you making stuff up?
                      I’d consider puberty blockers as maiming- life long consequences.

Let’s see your opionion when Brianna dechambeau or Shania Lowry tonks your daughter in the LPGA
                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Most people who I chat to that mention it's time to give SF a shot and acknowledge their "shortcomings". They're all simply sick of FF/FG and want anyone else. This would/should have been the time for Labour to gain popularity but they've shrank to irrelevancy after being attached to FG and water charges. It didn't help that Burton and Kelly were the faces of the party. Their local candidate in the last GE was more known for kicking a couple of points for the county than anything else. I don't believe he had any involvement in policitics or local affairs previously, an eyebrow-raising choice. Didn't poll well at all. They would have easily had a couple of party stalwarts historically from the council or involved in local issues that could have run. May not have made much difference tbf. In contrast, their previous TD was a Barrister who also had a science degree. They're just fading into obscurity now and the party is barely extant.

Aside from FF/FG vs SF, it's a self-immolating Green Party, a "group" of loudmouth unrealistic loons, and lastly the independents. So the question is, do you give SF the reigns knowing what they're attached to and who are amongst them? Or accept the status quo despite the shortcomings?
                        I don't get why we wouldn't the status quo. We're literally the most successful nation in the world apart those scandie bastards.
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Gender dysphoria is real. It might appear 'newly invented' to some because we are only starting to recognise it and grapple with it. The vast majority of medical interventions involve concerned family members and responsible medical professionals, and result in a positive outcome.

​​​​​​Having the courage and good grace to address the issue is no doubt going to result in hysteria, as it goes to the heart of how our world view up until now, including language and legislation, had been binary in nature.

The fact that we know of kids struggling with it should be enough for us to ask ourselves "How can we best serve these kids?". Rest assured in many cases the answer will not involve a medical intervention.

Arguing about outliers like how sports will catch up or how we deal with 'imposter cases' doesn't help our reasoning on the matter.
                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Considering the study I saw on this had something like 0.4% of people trying to transition back, and most of that only due to harassment and lack of support, it seems people are pretty happy with their decision about it at any age. That girl that is one of the stars of Euphoria transitioned when she was 14 or so after being diagnosed with dysphoria, it's pretty common for it to be younger people these days, and people probably want to start earlier to be able to transition better and pass as the gender they feel they are. If they start young people won't be able to tell as easily or at all. It's also not just done on a whim, with medical professionals involved.This is part of the "you don't get more conservative as you age, the next generation gets more liberal", that will always happen. Two people transitioned in my work, in their 40s/50s, wanted to their whole lives and felt they could now. People wouldn't cross the street to watch women's sports, but are making that the deal instead of actual important stuff.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-06-22, 02:22.

Comment

Debating aboutTrans people in Sport is completely separate to debating about Trans peoples rights/needs to transition .

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Hmmm. I thought his eldest was about 15, and probably not mad on the idea of relocating to the US
                                Spot on the age but not the attitude.

15/13/almost 11.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Leaning which way??

My gods there is some effort expended on this matter when it affects what, 0.01% of the country?
                                  Kids ending up in the arms of clinical professionals who've been brainwashed via social media into thinking they're 'trans'.

When most of them are just typically hormonal teenagers, some of whom might be plain old gay.

Comment

Agreed but it's such a fallacy. I also encounter these people and most of them have very little to complain about. Own their own home, decent job, no real financial issues but still are on the SF bandwagon. Of course there are many more out there in worse circumstances who may feel disenfranchised by the incumbents, and hey, maybe they are right. Just feel that anybody rational could not see them as being the answer.
                                    I think it's the spirit of the age. Everything is short-termist social media hot takes that builds up a spirit of extreme partisanship that is very hard to back away from.
                                    So I think it's probably necessary for the electorate to teach ourselves a hard lesson. And hope that, in our desire to kick 'the government' in the balls, we don't end up killing our golden goose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't get why we wouldn't the status quo. We're literally the most successful nation in the world apart those scandie bastards.
                                      Dude, you're in a household that has a high-income relative to the median along with health insurance and I'm pretty sure your social bubble will include primarily people relative to your means. I don't think it's a stretch to say that you're pretty well insulated from a lot of what's happening throughout the country.

The average person in this country has a huge problem trying to rent a house and get by day to day. If you do manage to rent one of these places, it's a massive lump of your wages gone. Add in kids on top of that or not having parents to bail you out. Then try to save to buy somewhere, with prices and availability becoming no better. Hospital waiting lists is another big one. Ultimately these are now almost generational issues and not magically solvable in a couple of years by a set of fresh politicians. The public sees FF/FG have campaigned to fix these things but the public doesn't see any progress because things are getting worse faster than they are being fixed.

Comment

Kids ending up in the arms of clinical professionals who've been brainwashed via social media into thinking they're 'trans'.

When most of them are just typically hormonal teenagers, some of whom might be plain old gay.
                                        That is a rather patronising and narrow-minded view. None of us have the first clue what any individual person is going through. To dismiss anyone's experience like that risks doing them unnecessary harm. This is an issue that, as Wombat rightly said, has been around for a LONG time but has been hidden through overwhelming social pressure and stigmatisation. Now that we are emerging from that - slowly, oh so slowly - it is incumbent on all of us to approach this with an open mind and not to fall back on dismissive tropes of "hormonal teenagers not knowing what they want". Being open, kind and listening will help those who are trans to realise their true selves. Being open, kind and listening will help those who aren't sure and maybe ultimately discover a different path to come to it without the avoidable scars inflicted on them by those of us who don't understand what they're going through.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I think it's the spirit of the age. Everything is short-termist social media hot takes that builds up a spirit of extreme partisanship that is very hard to back away from.
                                          So I think it's probably necessary for the electorate to teach ourselves a hard lesson. And hope that, in our desire to kick 'the government' in the balls, we don't end up killing our golden goose.
                                          In fairness once FF and FG went in together it made a SF government inevitable. FG are entirely devoid of ideas or direction now. They need a good spell in opposition to get the energy back. FF are a busted flush. They are circling the drain politically. They don't know what they are or what they're for. Managerialism disguised as politics. They have no future as they are and will likely dwindle away until they go the way of the PDs. SF have shown a real knack for being in the right place at the right time but they'd need some fairly spectacular strokes of good fortune to survive government. Their ability to be against everything and for everything at the same time (housing? ffs...) disappears once they're in charge. They'll get a honeymoon period to be sure and might do 2 terms in government but they're going to find that the disparate left vote they cannibalised last time will turn on them rapidly once the reality of government throws the breaks on.

Fully expect Pearse v the Department of Finance to be a remarkable culture shock for both parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

That is a rather patronising and narrow-minded view. None of us have the first clue what any individual person is going through. To dismiss anyone's experience like that risks doing them unnecessary harm. This is an issue that, as Wombat rightly said, has been around for a LONG time but has been hidden through overwhelming social pressure and stigmatisation. Now that we are emerging from that - slowly, oh so slowly - it is incumbent on all of us to approach this with an open mind and not to fall back on dismissive tropes of "hormonal teenagers not knowing what they want". Being open, kind and listening will help those who are trans to realise their true selves. Being open, kind and listening will help those who aren't sure and maybe ultimately discover a different path to come to it without the avoidable scars inflicted on them by those of us who don't understand what they're going through.
                                            Those weren't my words, they were the words of a very experienced clinical professional. Who admittedly might be putting it rather bluntly but it comes from a place of real world experience and deep professional expertise.

And yes, teenagers are not be trusted when it comes to just about anything. Think back to when you were one.

Comment

Fully expect Pearse v the Department of Finance to be a remarkable culture shock for both parties.
                                              It'll be like Love Island compared to the Apocalypse Now of Cullinane vs the DoH.

Comment

Those weren't my words, they were the words of a very experienced clinical professional. Who admittedly might be putting it rather bluntly but it comes from a place of real world experience and deep professional expertise.

And yes, teenagers are not be trusted when it comes to just about anything. Think back to when you were one.
                                                I don't know enough about this as the discourse is so polarizing and hard to parse. Like Lazare it makes me want to mute everything. It doesn't stop me from feeling incredibly sad when I think of the pain that trans people are in and how a large part of society feels towards them.

During my lifetime condoms and being gay was illegal in this country. In some aspects, we've come a long way but in others not so much. 10 years ago if you asked me about a trans person, I'd have said a guy who dresses in woman's clothes. Genuinely did not have a clue what it meant. For a lot of people, we're no further along than this type of thinking or understanding.

There's a brilliant Emmy-winning series on Netflix called "Pose" which opened my eyes somewhat in recent years. Some incredible performances and a fantastic soundtrack too. If you haven't watched it, I'd suggest giving it a spin.

Comment

It'll be like Love Island compared to the Apocalypse Now of Cullinane vs the DoH.
                                                  A lot will depend on their coalition partner. They'll be looking for the mudguard to end all mudguards and FF look to be in poll position. Soc Dems maybe if they have a cracking election. SF will move heaven and earth to put everything on their partners. It'll be an interesting time if nothing else.

Comment

A lot will depend on their coalition partner. They'll be looking for the mudguard to end all mudguards and FF look to be in poll position. Soc Dems maybe if they have a cracking election. SF will move heaven and earth to put everything on their partners. It'll be an interesting time if nothing else.
                                                    Ah, I remember when Prionsais and the WP came into government. Within about 2 months, they were sitting up straight and eating with the correct utensils.

SF could go the same way. Or they could go full Syriza. Fun times ahead.

But for the good of the polity, SF need a spell in government.

Comment

Has anyone read the Frankie Dettori autobiography and is it worth a spin?

Comment

I find it hard to see FF or FG being a junior partner to SF in government, at least next time out. SF forming a government with 'everything else' will be a very hard thing to manage.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I find it hard to see FF or FG being a junior partner to SF in government, at least next time out. SF forming a government with 'everything else' will be a very hard thing to manage.
                                                          FG definitely won't

FF; you could see it, and it would of course be historically ironic given what they have done to a series of junior partners.

But SF + assorted nutters would be a great show.

Comment

The thing is, even if SF want to go into power (and they probably didn’t last time due to the low number of candidates they put forward, i doubt the likes of Paul Murphy, Boyd Barrett et al want to. They are quite happy pontificating, opposing for the sake of it and generally bringing nothing to the table while still picking up a handy salary; rather than actually do something.

Comment

FG definitely won't

FF; you could see it, and it would of course be historically ironic given what they have done to a series of junior partners.

But SF + assorted nutters would be a great show.
                                                              Some if FF will be for it, given the thirst for power, but others would definitely be against it. It may well happen 0once FF fully accept that they will never get back to the days of > 15 years ago, but I think they'd likely be happy next time out to snipe at SF from the sidelines. The election maths would be very interesting though. FF and FG having their only route to power essentially be a coalition with each other would be another reason for them to ultimately merge, but again that's 20+ years down the road if at all imo. SF having to rely on all the other 'bits' of independents and smaller parties to form a government wouldn't last a year I reckon.

Comment

Has anyone read the Frankie Dettori autobiography and is it worth a spin?
                                                                Yes
                                                                very good read

Comment

Anyone familiar with the expression. My aul segotia . One of my favs and heard someone address da mudder . Its so ol Dublin. We need to bring it back.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                    Anyone familiar with the expression. My aul segotia . One of my favs and heard someone address da mudder . Its so ol Dublin. We need to bring it back.
                                                                    'gwan ourra dat me auld segotia

as I remarked to a surprised Indian gentleman in Spar this morning

Comment

It's 'me aul segotia' - None of that fancy 'My' lark

My best mates Dad (my 2nd Dad) often calls me it - Normally when I drop a bottle of vino into him

Mrs Lao Lao had never heard of it before she met me, along with several other Dublin phrases.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

It's 'me aul segotia' - None of that fancy 'My' lark

My best mates Dad (my 2nd Dad) often calls me it - Normally when I drop a bottle of vino into him

Mrs Lao Lao had never heard of it before she met me, along with several other Dublin phrases.
                                                                        Its such a friendly greeting as opposed to PAL . Which can also be a threat.

Plenty of the culchies i know never heard the 'got any odds' expression

Comment

'Any odds' - That's a blast from the past. Lad I used to go to school with used it non stop - Haven't heard it in yonks.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

I’d consider puberty blockers as maiming- life long consequences.

Let’s see your opionion when Brianna dechambeau or Shania Lowry tonks your daughter in the LPGA
                                                                            I think it's a pretty common opinion that trans women shouldn't compete in sports with athletes who were female at birth. Pulling that gem out is not nearly the gothcha that you think it is.
                                                                            Transgender people shouldn't be allowed to compete in sport" is not remotely equal to "People shouldn't be allow to be transgender".
                                                                            Any argument involves clinging to fringe issues like sport and children. Is pretty weak imo.

What sort of clinical professional out of curiosity? I mean there are many clinical professionals that have decades of experience in their field, but won't have ever treated a trans-patient. I'd imagine it's incredibly rare for psychologists or whatever practicing in Ireland to have significant experience on the issue.

10 years ago if you asked me about a trans person, I'd have said a guy who dresses in woman's clothes. Genuinely did not have a clue what it meant. For a lot of people, we're no further along than this type of thinking or understanding.
                                                                            In your defense, 10 years ago you wouldn't have been wrong. Today, trans- refers to transgender. But 10, 20 years ago. That term was rare, transsexual less so. But trans or tranny more commonly meant transvestite - which lead to people confusing the two for a long time.

Comment

Not one I've ever heard. What does it mean? At a guess I'd say something akin to "what's up".

Comment

The thing is, even if SF want to go into power (and they probably didn’t last time due to the low number of candidates they put forward, i doubt the likes of Paul Murphy, Boyd Barrett et al want to. They are quite happy pontificating, opposing for the sake of it and generally bringing nothing to the table while still picking up a handy salary; rather than actually do something.
                                                                                All that is true but let's remember they're nowhere near as bad as Moscow Mick Wallace and Kremlin Clare Daly.

Comment

England scored 498 in a ODI against the poor old Netherlands today. Buttler hit 14 sixes in his innings.

Comment

Once in, the argument of "they were in for donkeys years we need more time" is a very easy default.
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Once in, the argument of "they were in for donkeys years we need more time" is a very easy default.
                                                                                      That doesn't wash in a world of instant gratification though (even if it's perfectly valid).

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

'Any odds' - That's a blast from the past. Lad I used to go to school with used it non stop - Haven't heard it in yonks.
                                                                                        The proper answer to this around my way growing up was "I'm wearing them"
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Not one I've ever heard. What does it mean? At a guess I'd say something akin to "what's up".
                                                                                          Usually someone waiting outside the shop or a scrounging type. Means any spare change

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                            What sort of clinical professional out of curiosity? I mean there are many clinical professionals that have decades of experience in their field, but won't have ever treated a trans-patient. I'd imagine it's incredibly rare for psychologists or whatever practicing in Ireland to have significant experience on the issue.
                                                                                            I recently was diagnosed with ADHD in my mid-30s. It's probably been about 7-8 years of confusion and disillusion with doctors, counsellors and partners amongst others. The reason it's taken me this long is due to never visibly bouncing off the walls 24/7 and a complete lack of knowledge from GPs and counsellors. Initially I was put forward for an autism spectrum assessment earlier this year (ADHD overlaps quite a bit and and many people have both). To arrive at this point, it took a few years of back/forth with my current GP, almost failing college (again), seeing a psychologist during the pandemic and then covid would have delayed things further. I went private as there's essentially no public service and was lucky to be able to afford the assessments. Thankfully health insurance reimbursed some costs.

The psychiatrist I finally dealt with mentioned the complete lack of training and knowledge amongst the majority of medical professionals in Ireland. For something that is quite prevalent in the general population was a surprise to me. I can't begin to imagine how poorly resourced things could be for trans people.

Comment

Actually, tbh I don't feel 100% comfortable making a comparison between my story and the resources available for trans people. The short version of what I meant to say is that mental health resources are very understaffed and specialist areas even more so. Just agreeing with Mellor that there would be a very small number of experts/specialists with such a small population.

Comment

Indeed, and I know plenty of lads in now in their dotage who still haven't figured out who or what the fuck they are

On this subject I'll defer to the wise words of Uncle bob

Don't criticise what you don't understand, your sons and your daughters are beyond your command..

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

If you have your house and are earning 100k+ then obviously the FFG status quo is great, and it would be ‘illogical’ to vote something else in.

Home ownership rates have decreased ~12% in less than two decades. As the economy has boomed, a cohort of people who would have been forced to emigrate have been able to stay. There are ever more people who work hard, are ambitious and who vote for whom housing is an ever increasing causes of stress and uncertainty. They did all the things they were supposed to do, they played by the rules but unfortunately Daddy doesn’t have a chunk of cash for them.

I get it. FFG haven’t declared a national emergency footing for housing because they understand that the majority of their base don’t face the issue. Of course, more and more of the kids and grandkids of their base do. And that is the X factor that is topping off the current astonishing polling numbers for SF.

Now that I own my home and advanced in my career I understand where ye all are coming from. Pull up the ladders and all that. But more and more people are not making those transitions and it is those things that make them feel they have sufficient stake in the system to vote for more of the status quo. FG have been in government for a decade. Housing is in a fucking shambles. When would it be their responsibility? I think the reality is FG don’t really think there is a problem with housing. I know many of you here don’t believe there is a problem. This is why you might find it all ‘illogical’. The people right there living it will understand it. And they feel like they have nothing to lose.

I think there are significant miscalculations being made here too about what will happen if an election went as per current polling. We’d be in existential threat territory for FFG imo. Sure we’ll listen to talk of ‘hurlers in the ditch’ and all that again as both coalition partners try and stay in the sidelines and hope for a Frankenstein SF left wing coalition with a flimsy majority. But beware ignoring the will of the electorate and blocking it. Go back to the polls for another go round? Try and force a stalemate for months? May you live in interesting times and all that.

The big fly in the ointment is how the coming recession affects all of this. Don’t think it will help FFG‘s polling tbh. Maybe it alleviates the acute pain of the housing crisis. But by enough to balance how people will be feeling about their new found unemployment?

What I hope SF are working on is finding enough candidates and vetting them properly. Scrub those social media profiles fucking clean lads. You’ve had more than enough trials and warnings on this topic. If they fuck that low initial hurdle up then yeah we’ll need to strap ourselves in for an exceptionally bumpy ride.
                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

On the Trans stuff my high level view is that we are experiencing the same thing that society went through a few decades ago with homosexuality. It’s always been there, it’s just now becoming possible for greater numbers of people to start expressing their true sense of gender fluidity.

Are there problems posed by it all? Do we need to supplement law and the infrastructure of the state to be able to assimilate it all properly? Absolutely. But there’s also a fucking cart load of bad faith arguing about the dangerous implications that stem from fear and hate.

I just think in a couple of decades there will clearly have been a right side of history to have been on. And like homosexuality, it isn’t the ‘we need to shield kids from these whacky ideas’ side.
                                                                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                      Pull up the ladders and all that. But more and more people are not making those transitions, and it is those things that make them feel they have sufficient stake in the system to vote for more of the status quo. FG have been in government for a decade. Housing is in a fucking shambles. .
                                                                                                      Is it? FG has been in power for a decade, and during that time our economy has done fantastically well compared to our peers (we used to lumped in with Italy and Greece!) and house prices have gone up to the same extent all around the world in other successful economies. It's not a uniquely Irish problem, and the solution is basically the opposite to anything Sinn Fein would propose.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Is it? FG has been in power for a decade, and during that time our economy has done fantastically well compared to our peers (we used to lumped in with Italy and Greece!) and house prices have gone up to the same extent all around the world in other successful economies. It's not a uniquely Irish problem, and the solution is basically the opposite to anything Sinn Fein would propose.
                                                                                                        I knew the minute I posted that someone would reply ‘there isn’t any crisis in housing’. If you believe that to be the case, cool.

The economy has boomed, but our economy is structured to take advantage of positive economic cycles. Our success in that area predates any of our current politicians and stretches across multiple administrations. The issue is quite obviously that less and less people feel the benefits of this economic progress. Are people deluded to some extent? Maybe. Is part of the perception issue bigger than Irish society? Absolutely. But the choice is yours on whether you conclude that it’s entirely a made up fancy of silly people.

If you are doing well and the current status quo is of benefit to you, it is entirely logical to vote to keep it. I’ll accept that. But claiming that everything is fine is another matter. I’ll leave you to it, as far as that goes.

Comment

I get it. FFG haven’t declared a national emergency footing for housing because they understand that the majority of their base don’t face the issue. .
                                                                                                          Such Greenpilled

Exactly what would declaring it a national emergency achieve?

Now that I own my home and advanced in my career I understand where ye all are coming from. Pull up the ladders and all that..
                                                                                                          That's just a sneery tagline .

You seem to believe that people don't give a fuck what happens to their children and grandchildren, you are deluded, they do.

I Scrub those social media profiles fucking clean lads. You’ve had more than enough trials and warnings on this topic. If they fuck that low initial hurdle up then yeah we’ll need to strap ourselves in for an exceptionally bumpy ride.
                                                                                                          You can scrub the social media profiles all you like but you will never wash the blood off their hands.

One of your TD's stood in Hyde park with a smirk on his face as he triggered the Bombs that slaughtered 11 young people.
                                                                                                          The undeniable fact is that a vote for SF is a vote for people who believe that it is ok to kill people to maintain their monopoly on power over the community that support them.

Comment

Hey Colicam
                                                                                                            Can you tell how ADHD has effected you and your coping mechanisms . Hurdles overcome etc. only if you dont mind . Of course.

Me aul segotia

Comment

that it is ok to kill people to maintain their monopoly on power over the community that support them.
                                                                                                              really ? Thats your take on the conflict ?

Comment

Anyone any tips on where to live in Boston? Or indeed any tips at all.

Comment

I know some folk here ask about a poker game from time to time and a decent one looks to be happening in the Bonnington tomorrow. They have a regular Saturday deepstack, 55k chips, 20min clock, €120 entry but they've slapped a 10k guarantee on it tomorrow night. I've not played a tourney there yet but may head in for that.

Comment

Southie, with all the other 'on the run's' obv

Comment

If you have your house and are earning 100k+ then obviously the FFG status quo is great, and it would be ‘illogical’ to vote something else in.
                                                                                                                      Welcome back!

If you're earning 100k, you're paying taxes at 52%. That isn't exactly easy street. Especially if you have a jumbo mortgage on top.
                                                                                                                      For example, if I was on 50% of my salary but had bought my house in, say 1995, I'd be better off.
                                                                                                                      So it's nuanced and it's generational so I don't think you can make that bald statement. Like what are FFG exactly 'doing for higher earners'? 'Taxing the fuck out of them' would be the accurate answer! It's not they are the equivalent of the GOP and are looking after higher earners to the exclusion of everyone else. Ireland has the highest Gini coefficient in the EU for a reason.

Home ownership rates have decreased ~12% in less than two decades. As the economy has boomed, a cohort of people who would have been forced to emigrate have been able to stay. There are ever more people who work hard, are ambitious and who vote for whom housing is an ever increasing causes of stress and uncertainty. They did all the things they were supposed to do, they played by the rules but unfortunately Daddy doesn’t have a chunk of cash for them.
                                                                                                                      Not a uniquely Irish problem, let's face it. It's the same in every successful country with the same economic model

I get it. FFG haven’t declared a national emergency footing for housing because they understand that the majority of their base don’t face the issue. Of course, more and more of the kids and grandkids of their base do. And that is the X factor that is topping off the current astonishing polling numbers for SF.
                                                                                                                      If I was a SF man like yourself, I'd be really careful about language like this. You are setting yourselves up to fail. The entire system is fucked and the institutional resistance to change is incredibly strong.
                                                                                                                      Easy prediction: SF won't 'solve the 'housing crisis'. (and neither will anyone else). Your own party leader has objected to half the new developments in her constituency FFS.

Now that I own my home and advanced in my career I understand where ye all are coming from. Pull up the ladders and all that. But more and more people are not making those transitions and it is those things that make them feel they have sufficient stake in the system to vote for more of the status quo. FG have been in government for a decade. Housing is in a fucking shambles. When would it be their responsibility? I think the reality is FG don’t really think there is a problem with housing. I know many of you here don’t believe there is a problem. This is why you might find it all ‘illogical’. The people right there living it will understand it. And they feel like they have nothing to lose.
                                                                                                                      Hard truth; there are things government can't solve. It might look easy from the sidelines and it's simple to shout the odds to that effect, but it really, really isn't. SF will find that out soon enough.

I think there are significant miscalculations being made here too about what will happen if an election went as per current polling. We’d be in existential threat territory for FFG imo. Sure we’ll listen to talk of ‘hurlers in the ditch’ and all that again as both coalition partners try and stay in the sidelines and hope for a Frankenstein SF left wing coalition with a flimsy majority. But beware ignoring the will of the electorate and blocking it. Go back to the polls for another go round? Try and force a stalemate for months? May you live in interesting times and all that.
                                                                                                                      This could very well be prophetic. Although the nature of the Irish system will nudge all parties towards some form of deal.

Although I think a genuine 'left vs right' choice would be a good thing in Irish politics rather than the hyper-local nonsense we have now. Call it Socialists vs Christian Democrats. Now we have a real choice...great.

The big fly in the ointment is how the coming recession affects all of this. Don’t think it will help FFG‘s polling tbh. Maybe it alleviates the acute pain of the housing crisis. But by enough to balance how people will be feeling about their new found unemployment?
                                                                                                                      It'll be over by the time of the next election.

What I hope SF are working on is finding enough candidates and vetting them properly. Scrub those social media profiles fucking clean lads. You’ve had more than enough trials and warnings on this topic. If they fuck that low initial hurdle up then yeah we’ll need to strap ourselves in for an exceptionally bumpy ride.
                                                                                                                      This ain't a SF-only problem! Plenty of morons on all fronts (although it constantly amazes me why anyone would put themselves through the pain)
                                                                                                                      I do think you've got very few people with any form of real-world managerial expertise (in fact I can't think of any) and that will hurt you in government. The Civil Service will walk rings around you.

Comment

Southie, with all the other 'on the run's' obv
                                                                                                                        Gentrified, according to my sauces.

Comment

Gentrified, according to my sauces.
                                                                                                                          Exactly, You'll fit right in with all the lads who made millions skimming the cream off the collections for the cause.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X