This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post
    Is I played the 17 year old boy wonder in scratch matchplay yesterday. He's off +2 and is on the Irish u18 team. Eventually got beaten on 17 after leading until the 11th so gave him a good run. Was even par until 11 and then hooked one into trees on left on 12. He birdied 12, 14 and 17 to shoot 2 under on his round.

​​​​​​He is ridiculously long off the tee. He has been doing a lot of gym work the past 2 years and now has same average swing speed as Mcilroy but his short game maybe needs some work. Didn't chip it close enough when he did miss a green. Really nice chap with a good head on his shoulders. Hoping to go to Arizona state after leaving cert next year

​​​​​​
    Good stuff and could be a nice memory to say you took a future pro golfer to 17 in matchplay .

On the other hand, I bombed out of my first-round matchplay on the 13th last night. Played like it was my first round of golf ever, absolute disaster. Same guy that beat me last year and I saved my two worst rounds for both occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      About time Michael D. put the boot in.
      He has nothing to lose or worry about politically at this stage in his career. Great that he chooses to say something but unfortunately he can only talk rather than act.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
        Left town at 12 before pubs closed night of CL Final thinking i was smart to hop on 15. 3 went by full as i walked and same as Collie was in Rathgar before i got a taxi.
        Back to the early 90s of a poxy taxi service. I remember post Leeson Street being totally exhausted after a marathon session that ended in Legs (or somewher like that) , no Taxis, I determinedly decided to outwait all the out stretched hands similar to the wise guys who sit until all the plebs have boarded the 10 euro flight o Manchester. and sat down by the canal , this sit down turned into a lie down and woke up the following Sat at midday with joggers , walkers etc, I’d no idea where the fk I was. I must have looked like a well dressed hobo. (no drugs) Felt like shiiite. Saturday Morning Come down. (there’s something bout a Saturdaaay). Taxis were impossible back then. I thought those days were gone with deregulation and every man jack had a side job driving drunks home. We back there so? Funny I look back nostalgically at those drunken taxi quests and drunken conquests. When it truth they were pretty messy really. Youth eh.

Comment

Is I played the 17 year old boy wonder in scratch matchplay yesterday. He's off +2 and is on the Irish u18 team. Eventually got beaten on 17 after leading until the 11th so gave him a good run. Was even par until 11 and then hooked one into trees on left on 12. He birdied 12, 14 and 17 to shoot 2 under on his round.

​​​​​​He is ridiculously long off the tee. He has been doing a lot of gym work the past 2 years and now has same average swing speed as Mcilroy but his short game maybe needs some work. Didn't chip it close enough when he did miss a green. Really nice chap with a good head on his shoulders. Hoping to go to Arizona state after leaving cert next year

​​​​​​
          Keep improving youself . Seems you made progress fast unless im confusing you. Who knows what ya can do.

Comment

About time Michael D. put the boot in.
            It's a form of masturbation.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
              Left town at 12 before pubs closed night of CL Final thinking i was smart to hop on 15. 3 went by full as i walked and same as Collie was in Rathgar before i got a taxi.
              I dont mind having to walk back Saturday night, just wondering would it be safe ?
              This too shall pass.

Comment

So plan is now that we shut out private capital from building houses and let Sinn Fein get the County Councils to hire employees to build 25 Ballymuns.

Luckily for Sinn Fein the work that the coalition has been doing will be providing enough supply just in time for O'Brion to come in a claim credit for it
                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

I dont mind having to walk back Saturday night, just wondering would it be safe ?
                  Well it is the Northside, full of RDIII types...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    So plan is now that we shut out private capital from building houses and let Sinn Fein get the County Councils to hire employees to build 25 Ballymuns.

Luckily for Sinn Fein the work that the coalition has been doing will be providing enough supply just in time for O'Brion to come in a claim credit for it
                    The plan is clearly to hold up everything until O’Brion takes over and then approve everything to claim credit.

Comment

​​​​​​
                      Had a similar one playing against a young Niall Kearney off scratch in the scratch Matchplay. Lost 3/2. Played great and held a raker on 15 for birdie and he followed me in from 20ft. Would have been only 1 down then. Lost 16. He played Walker cup the year after.
                      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Can only imagine the absolute headbangers that work for pride Dublin. That liveline debate seemed to have balance from both sides, but more sense on one side than the other.
                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Why isn’t the IPB logo in rainbow colours btw, shameful
                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                            Can only imagine the absolute headbangers that work for pride Dublin. That liveline debate seemed to have balance from both sides, but more sense on one side than the other.
                            Have spent far too much time listening back to Liveline to find out what people were talking about. Had kind of assumed only people in nursing homes or hospices were still listening to it. Apparently not.
                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Have spent far too much time listening back to Liveline to find out what people were talking about. Had kind of assumed only people in nursing homes or hospices were still listening to it. Apparently not.
                              Was listening to it on my old Tranny

Comment

What was being said on liveline? Was it bona fide hate speech or just your everyday gobshitery?

Comment

It was meant to be a conversation about the wording of a maternity bill and turned into
                                  "and another thing about those Transplenders Joe, i heard they can shoot laser's out of their eyes and if they hit you you turn gay"
                                  "Terrible, yeah, Tell me how that makes you feel Betty?"
                                  The moderation needed to be better, I don't personally think Joe set out with bad intentions but there was a LOT of misinformation in those broadcasts.

The just asking questions brigade are pretty obvious in their goals to me at least anyway.
                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What was being said on liveline? Was it bona fide hate speech or just your everyday gobshitery?
                                    Neither imo. Seemed a pretty well balanced debate, though Joe Duffy while being neutral does have a tendency to say the complete opposite of what he's trying to say ( while trying to summarise a previous speakers bit). It does seem that many groups, like Dublin Pride, consider it hate speech for women to say that 'men who think they are women' shouldn't be allowed to share their changing rooms or toilets.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1720667&d=1655315448&type=thumb
                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

It was meant to be a conversation about the wording of a maternity bill and turned into
                                        "and another thing about those Transplenders Joe, i heard they can shoot laser's out of their eyes and if they hit you you turn gay"
                                        "Terrible, yeah, Tell me how that makes you feel Betty?"
                                        The moderation needed to be better, I don't personally think Joe set out with bad intentions but there was a LOT of misinformation in those broadcasts.

The just asking questions brigade are pretty obvious in their goals to me at least anyway.
                                        I'm finding the whole thing incredibly confusing.

I've had the word 'Trans' muted on twitter for the last couple of years because it's just such a fucking toxic topic, especially when on that medium all you're exposed to are fringe elements on both sides.

I got interested in it recently though when the Real Science of Sport podcast covered it. Covered specifically transwonen's participation in women's sport.

As much of a liberal leftie I am I pretty much straight away was swayed by the argument that Transwomen should be excluded from participation, competition with biological women.

What's interesting is, the argument, and I hold this, only holds true for sports where inclusion compromises fairness, or safety. The people arguing it explicitly state this. They see no harm or issue with TW competing in Archery say. Or Transmen competing in sports where safety isn't a concern.

Yet, they're vilified as transphobic. I'd be labelled transphobic for this post. Peer reviewed scientific papers back the argument though. There is currently no medical process that can reverse the innate advantages male puberty endows.

I started to feel myself getting sucked in then to deeper anti trans arguments, reading, not getting involved. The kind of stuff expressed on that show.

That's what happens people when reason is responded to with vilification. They go down a rabbit hole, responding to backlash with backlash. That's the route Glinner went down.

The bedfellows though were making me ill, Cora Sherlock, Hermann Kelly.

What's interesting to me though, in light of comments around 'hate speech' and talk of cesorship, and Pride cutting ties is, the arguments made by Trans folk, in particular parents of Trans kids pulled me back from that. Those arguments enabled me to empathise.

I will still hold the view that, unfortunately, until science allows it, TW should be excluded from competing against biological women in sports where fairness or safety is compromised.
                                        Last edited by Lazare; 15-06-22, 18:30.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Davis Reilly at 70/1 is my FRL bet. No outrights yet. Rahm, Xander and Rory to shoot 71 or better all out early 3/1 on PP is a reasonable bet.
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Deal signed. Official.

Let's get 'em.
                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                              What's interesting is, the argument, and I hold this, only holds true for sports where inclusion compromises fairness, or safety. The people arguing it explicitly state this. They see no harm or issue with TW competing in Archery say.
                                              Ah, maybe I've been too influenced by my terf friend but I'd even have a problem with that in archery. By all means have a separate category where women can compete against transwomen in full knowledge of who you are competing against. Anything else makes women's sports a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare
                                                I will still hold the view that, unfortunately, until science allows it, TW should be excluded from competing against biological women in sports where fairness or safety is compromised
                                                The whole thing is complicated ​​​​​​, and as a rule we dont do complicated well.
                                                The maternity bill wording which caused the furore is pretty straightforward to me. Someone who dresses, acts, looks, lives like a 'man' yet still has a uterus and decides to become pregnant should have the same protections and rights as a biological woman. They should enjoy those rights without having to worry about being in some legal quagmire regarding their pronouns.

I largely agree about trans women in sports when it affects the safety of participants but it opens the door to this kid of hate filled madness.
                                                https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...rmation-exams

A lot of the arguments and anecdotes ive heard arent a million miles away from the "well whats stopping them marrying dogs or children" stuff from years ago.
                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-06-22, 19:12.
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Someone who dresses, acts, looks, lives like a 'man' yet still has a uterus and decides to become pregnant should have the same protections and rights as a biological woman. They should enjoy those rights without having to worry about being in some legal quagmire regarding their pronouns.
                                                  It's pretty clear to me that they are still a woman. If they want to be called a cat, a Wookie, or a Lemon, that's up to them. And it's up to me whether I'll decide to go along with it. There are clearly some unintentional problems stemming from the gender reconnection act. And no, I haven't read it all https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/...nacted/en/html

Comment

Any recommendations for killarney?

Pints and food. Bonus points for trad music.

I've a couple of foreign mates asking but I don't have a breeze.

Comment

The whole thing is complicated ​​​​​​, and as a rule we dont do complicated well.
                                                      The maternity bill wording which caused the furore is pretty straightforward to me. Someone who dresses, acts, looks, lives like a 'man' yet still has a uterus and decides to become pregnant should have the same protections and rights as a biological woman. They should enjoy those rights without having to worry about being in some legal quagmire regarding their pronouns.

I largely agree about trans women in sports when it affects the safety of participants but it opens the door to this kid of hate filled madness.
                                                      https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...rmation-exams

A lot of the arguments and anecdotes ive heard arent a million miles away from the "well whats stopping them marrying dogs or children" stuff from years ago.

Yes, that Ohio bill is nothing short of evil. Republicunts. Civilised society needs to come up with civilised solutions.

Some of the commentary on the anti side was awful, and you're right, not too far from similar scaremongering around Gay marriage.

You can understand some of the more reasoned arguments made though, and fears women have. The problem though is reasoned non emotive discussion, that can allay those fears seems impossible.

Comment

That's the route Glinner went down.
                                                        Seemed to me more like severe twitter addiction. Trying to argue something, and not being very good at it, and losing the run or yourself in the process on twitter are very different things.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                          Davis Reilly at 70/1 is my FRL bet. No outrights yet. Rahm, Xander and Rory to shoot 71 or better all out early 3/1 on PP is a reasonable bet.
                                                          Excellent choice. The RD3 Stupid Yankee Name Algorithim landed on him to win with a sidebet on Talor Gooch.

I'd imagine they'll be in a playoff together come Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                            Any recommendations for killarney?

Pints and food. Bonus points for trad music.

I've a couple of foreign mates asking but I don't have a breeze.
                                                            Murphys Bar on College street or the Tatler Jack fits all your requirements.

Trad session round the corner in the Grand, think its changed names to Patsys or something now.

O Connors pub on High street has live music and a great pint but is small.

Unsure about music in the Laurels at Market Cross but they used to have lively trad sessions, they also do good food.

Not a recommendation, but guaranteed music in the Dunloe Lodge. Enter at your own risk though. A pub I have only ever been in once and will never return, it's that bad. Would be quite the experience for foreign people.
                                                            Last edited by dobby; 15-06-22, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

It's pretty clear to me that they are still a woman. If they want to be called a cat, a Wookie, or a Lemon, that's up to them. And it's up to me whether I'll decide to go along with it. There are clearly some unintentional problems stemming from the gender reconnection act. And no, I haven't read it all https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/...nacted/en/html
                                                              'Clear to me' is doing a lot of lifting there bud.
                                                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Surely it's a win win if Duffy and Live Line get cancelled?
                                                                Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

'Clear to me' is doing a lot of lifting there bud.
                                                                  ​​​​​​
                                                                  What? How is clear to me doing any lifting in that sentence ?
                                                                  Someone who dresses, acts, looks, lives like a 'man' yet still has a uterus and decides to become pregnant ….is still a biological woman - end of

anyway nobody’s going to have the time/ money to indulge all these luxury beliefs soon. Grim times coming.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Murphys Bar on College street or the Tatler Jack fits all your requirements.

Trad session round the corner in the Grand, think its changed names to Patsys or something now.

O Connors pub on High street has live music and a great pint but is small.

Unsure about music in the Laurels at Market Cross but they used to have lively trad sessions, they also do good food.

Not a recommendation, but guaranteed music in the Dunloe Lodge. Enter at your own risk though. A pub I have only ever been in once and will never return, it's that bad. Would be quite the experience for foreign people.
                                                                    You the man. Thanks Dobby. I'll let you know how they got next week.

Comment

What? How is clear to me doing any lifting in that sentence ?
                                                                      Someone who dresses, acts, looks, lives like a 'man' yet still has a uterus and decides to become pregnant ….is still a biological woman - end of

anyway nobody’s going to have the time/ money to indulge all these luxury beliefs soon. Grim times coming.
                                                                      Because things aren't black and white as much as you want them to be.

I'm not an expert in any of this but sticking your fingers in your ears and pretending it doesn't exist helps absolutely no one.
                                                                      luxury beliefs indeed.
                                                                      Last edited by DeadParrot; 16-06-22, 10:36.

Comment

Surely it's a win win if Duffy and Live Line get cancelled?
                                                                        We need some proper shock jocks here, Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh style.

Comment

Calling out my one time for being allowed on this flight. I look and feel like someone who has been repeatedly punched. It is what it is.
                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Also who gives a fuck what gender someone chooses to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                              Whem im giving a fuck they better be the right gender .

Comment

Yeah that flights not going to work. At least I tried.

Comment

Women, apparently
                                                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Yeah that flights not going to work. At least I tried.
                                                                                    What's the story here?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

What's the story here?
                                                                                      I couldn't begin to describe. Too much limonchelo (?) is at the heart of it though.

Comment

I couldn't begin to describe. Too much limonchelo (?) is at the heart of it though.
                                                                                        Anything they give away for free in restaurants is to be treated with extreme caution. Top Tip.

Comment

Gather round children, it'll be story time soon

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Women, apparently
                                                                                            One of my wife’s friends from school is pretty vocal about it.

She is also always giving out about men being sexist, women having to put up with being second class citizens and is a general head melt.

The irony is massively lost on her.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

One of my wife’s friends from school is pretty vocal about it.

She is also always giving out about men being sexist, women having to put up with being second class citizens and is a general head melt.

The irony is massively lost on her.
                                                                                              It's weirdly sexist that they concentrate on TW rather than TM

Comment

I wonder will we see EUR/USD parity this year

Comment

Scammers gonna scam

Comment

It's weirdly sexist that they concentrate on TW rather than TM
                                                                                                    One adds to the lines for toilets and the other reduces it

Comment

Scammers gonna scam
                                                                                                      It’s the kind of story that you think is made up to sell the Netflix doc, too perfect almost.

Comment

last bit on the trans thing
                                                                                                        read this article by Mark tight from Sunday times- resignation level scandal from the children ombudsman that has been ignored by the wider Irish media.

“Childrens ombudsman wrote an opinion piece in a Sunday newspaper stating that “gender-affirming care for trans young people must be a priority”.
                                                                                                        In response Graham Linehan, a comedy writer whose campaigning on trans issues has led to him being banned from Twitter, published an open letter to Muldoon written by a children’s psychotherapist.

She argued that most children who present as being “born in the wrong body” will “grow out of it”. Her letter said that treatment of “100 per cent affirmed” under-16s as being trans was “utterly bad practice” and “bonkers”.

The psychotherapist has since provided The Sunday Times with records from Muldoon’s office that show he admitted she had made a “strong and credible argument” against his article.”

It also turns out that his original article was written for him by 2 trans lobby groups.

this is the kind of stuff that goes on and yet any attempt to debate is met with foot stomping and non sequiturs about bigots and “lads equating gay sex with fucking dogs”

There is serious discussions to be had about maiming children who are too young to make informed decisions but people who are easily emotionally manipulated are happy to close their eyes and block their ears and allow our public representatives to just have policy dictated to them by quack extremists

Comment

I don’t have much knowledge of gay activism but would imagine moderates were purged once the referendum passed and when was taken over by the swivellers

Comment

I don’t have much knowledge of gay activism but would imagine moderates were purged once the referendum passed and when was taken over by the swivellers
                                                                                                            Always thought it was the opposite. no drama or conflict in organising pride now as it just completely normalised that it’s solid logistics and event planners rather than people with a cause.

If you want to be a radical you would need to have moved on to something else.

Comment

Leo put a nice boot into SF today.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Albeit not quite "where are the bodies buried" levels
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                  Albeit not quite "where are the bodies buried" levels
                                                                                                                  What was the 'vagabonds living in caravans' bit about? I'm assuming he didn't mean Kev's m8s.

Comment

What was the 'vagabonds living in caravans' bit about? I'm assuming he didn't mean Kev's m8s.
                                                                                                                    A Welsh lad living in abject poverty and with no back story to explain how he came to have many million $$$ to bequest in his will to SF/IRA, for once the money doesn't appear to have been Northern bank cash but the proceeds of drugs and extortion they were having difficulty cleaning after they became subject to (some very little) scrutiny following GFA.

Comment

last bit on the trans thing
                                                                                                                      read this article by Mark tight from Sunday times- resignation level scandal from the children ombudsman that has been ignored by the wider Irish media.

“Childrens ombudsman wrote an opinion piece in a Sunday newspaper stating that “gender-affirming care for trans young people must be a priority”.
                                                                                                                      In response Graham Linehan, a comedy writer whose campaigning on trans issues has led to him being banned from Twitter, published an open letter to Muldoon written by a children’s psychotherapist.

She argued that most children who present as being “born in the wrong body” will “grow out of it”. Her letter said that treatment of “100 per cent affirmed” under-16s as being trans was “utterly bad practice” and “bonkers”.

The psychotherapist has since provided The Sunday Times with records from Muldoon’s office that show he admitted she had made a “strong and credible argument” against his article.”

It also turns out that his original article was written for him by 2 trans lobby groups.

this is the kind of stuff that goes on and yet any attempt to debate is met with foot stomping and non sequiturs about bigots and “lads equating gay sex with fucking dogs”

There is serious discussions to be had about maiming children who are too young to make informed decisions but people who are easily emotionally manipulated are happy to close their eyes and block their ears and allow our public representatives to just have policy dictated to them by quack extremists
                                                                                                                      Are children really being maimed or are you making stuff up?
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I'd assume he's referring to puberty blockers and not surgery. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51034461

Comment

There's definitely kids 'transitioning'. My daughter knows a few.

Mrs D3 has acquired some professional expertise in this area. Her views are unprintable on the topic.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X