This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Yes to the first and the rest all TBC. Negotiations underway.
    I had the chance to locate to Seattle many moons ago. No regrets . GL whatever you decide.

Comment

Had the chance to work in animation. No rugrats.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Wasn't there some agreement to do that about 11 years ago?
        There was, but it didn't include apple or a plethora of other devices so basically failed before it got going. This seems far more robust and unavoidable.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          Had the chance to work in animation. No rugrats.
          Like it.

I have a chance to work in hypnosis - No regress

Comment

Had a chance to work in the potato room. Wasn’t appealing
            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I got a job as a scarecrow.

I was outstanding in my field.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

My wife got a job in a greenhouse left due to the glass ceinling.

Paneful one there sorry .

Comment

Where do farmers buy cheap manure?

SPOILER
                  Dung Deal

Comment

Got a job in a clown shoe factory....no small feat

Comment

Was standing near the end of the Dublin Marathon and saw one runner dressed as a chicken and one as an egg, I thought....this could be interesting

Comment

Was driving through Foxrock village on Monday and see they have a load of 'Foxrock First' banners up, I'm assuming pushing people to shop local, etc...

But massive Nazi vibe from that slogan I feel! Wouldn't have been surprised to see some of the well-heeled Foxrockians (Foxrockites? Foxrockegians?) giving the old stiff-arm salute in front of their new flags.

Found a photo and it seems at least one commentator has copped the weird fascist bent of the slogan: https://twitter.com/BustToBoom/statu...86098020765700

Comment

That lyndon interview is very odd.
                          His 5% donation of NFT proceeds seems a bit of a piss take too.
                          Given only 4 were sold out of 100, others obviously thought so as well.
                          ​​​​​
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just seen that Harold Huberman passed away a few days ago.

Always an absolute gent at the tables.

RIP

Comment

I did read the last three posts trying to work out where the punchline was.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                Was driving through Foxrock village on Monday and see they have a load of 'Foxrock First' banners up, I'm assuming pushing people to shop local, etc...

But massive Nazi vibe from that slogan I feel! Wouldn't have been surprised to see some of the well-heeled Foxrockians (Foxrockites? Foxrockegians?) giving the old stiff-arm salute in front of their new flags.

Found a photo and it seems at least one commentator has copped the weird fascist bent of the slogan: https://twitter.com/BustToBoom/statu...86098020765700
                                "Buy Local" not snazzy enough for them obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

RIP
                                  That's awful, I'm very sorry to hear that.

Comment

I've been on one-on-one meetings with a very international faculty all morning. Was meant to be examining their programme to see if its fit for purpose, but that's quite boring, so I mainly used it to pick up good Dublin food recommendations based on their international expertise. It might be well-known, but the recommendation for Pickle by an Indian prof looks like a clear winner.

Was also in Fabi's yesterday, having previously visited with dobby, and it really is exemplary if you are in the market for decent authentic Brazilian food. Packed to the rafters and no reservations possible, but so well worth the visit.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

RIP
                                      Lovely man. It was very disconcerting when Harold check raised you when holding the second nuts.

Comment

I worked in a factory making Dracula figurines. There were only 2 employees so I had to make every second count.
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Oh laptops would be a massive win. Ironically, given their opposition to the regulation for their phones, a key selling point of Apple laptops is that they have USB-C
                                          I think laptops pretty much include it on their own accord.
                                          All the new laptops in work are C only. The docks are C. I got given an older laptop (as I also got a blade) that had a dell coaxial charger, but it still chargers off C port. Headphone case is C. Samsung is usb C I think?

Only my poxy iPhone is different

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

All the new laptops in work are C only. The docks are C. I got given an older laptop (as I also got a blade) that had a dell coaxial charger, but it still chargers off C port. Headphone case is C. Samsung is usb C I think?

ah, maybe my laptop was before the switch.

Comment

ah, maybe my laptop was before the switch.
                                              Does it have a USB-c for devices? It prob still charges via that, if it it came with a dedicated old style.
                                              My personal laptop doesn’t, buts it small And absolutely shite.

Comment

I have 2 Weevils in my insect collection. One is great and mixes well with the other insects without aggression, a bit too passive though , the other one is a fking head case. Shows me up constantly with his attitude. But his agression has warded off many a spider from annihilating the rest. I call him the lesser of the 2 Weevils.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

My laptop is USB C but I still need to use it's specific charger. Can't use my phone's cable for instance.
                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Apple & Microsoft the only real holdouts on USB-C.
                                                    Given the obvious "big bad corporation" opportunity I'm amazed MiseryGuest hasn't been all over this.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

My laptop is USB C but I still need to use it's specific charger. Can't use my phone's cable for instance.
                                                      Phone cable probably wouldn't have enough juice to drive it?

I guess the eu reg mostly worked well before ever getting implemented (other than apple)

Comment

Been following this spat all day, love Ross Tucker, his pod is fantastic.

He's bludgeoned this guy multiple times already, but I don't think I've ever seen a masterclass like this before..

Comment

He's bludgeoned this guy multiple times already, but I don't think I've ever seen a masterclass like this before..

That Andrew guy shouldn't be allowed vote

Comment

I’d say that’s a power thing. Phone transformers are 20-30w, laptops are 65-130w with the bigger transformers.

Comment

There was a good podcast with him a few months ago about it around the time of the collegiate swimmer in the states.
                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

There was a good podcast with him a few months ago about it around the time of the collegiate swimmer in the states.
                                                                Their pod is superb, they delve into some really interesting sports science.

Did a great one on sleep awhile ago.

Here's a link to the pod itself.

World-renowned sports scientist Professor Ross Tucker and veteran sports journalist Mike Finch break down the myths, practices and controversies from the world of sport. From athletics to rugby, soccer, cycling and more, the two delve into the most recent research, unearth lessons from the pros and host exclusive interviews with some of the world's leading sporting experts. For those who love sport. Get bonus content on Patreon Hosted on Acast. See acast.com/privacy for more information.

Comment

@HJ (and anyone else, of course) thinking of going in big on Hedera. Is that a good idea?

Comment

Looks like the ECB will signal interest rate rises next month today. It begins.

Comment

Looks like the ECB will signal interest rate rises next month today. It begins.
                                                                      To the moon!
                                                                      No reverse until rates get close to 20% and or we get to abundant cheap renewable energy
                                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

To the moon!
                                                                        No reverse until rates get close to 20% and or we get to abundant cheap renewable energy
                                                                        Spoken like someone with no mortgage and some underappreciating money in the bank!

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Spoken like someone with no mortgage and some underappreciating money in the bank!
                                                                          yeah, it'll be interesting to see how quick this feeds through to SVRs. Imagine anyone on say a 3.5% mortgage will be on 5%+ by this time next year.

Which is still historically very low of course...

Comment

yeah, it'll be interesting to see how quick this feeds through to SVRs. Imagine anyone on say a 3.5% mortgage will be on 5%+ by this time next year.

Which is still historically very low of course...

Tuberculosis rates might be at a historical very low rate also, but its still a bitch if you get it.

I'm not sure if that analogy stands up, but I started it, so I'll leave it.

Comment

Tuberculosis rates might be at a historical very low rate also, but its still a bitch if you get it.

I'm not sure if that analogy stands up, but I started it, so I'll leave it.
                                                                              I guess it all depends if you're a borrower or a saver.

Irish household deposits are somewhere around the €150bn mark and outstanding residential mortgages are approx €85bn.

Comment

I wish!
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Irish household deposits are somewhere around the €150bn mark and outstanding residential mortgages are approx €85bn.
                                                                                  Sure. But precariousness is felt primarily by borrowers. As in, very few people 'live off' their savings due to the structure of pensions.

Comment

It'll be a shock for a whole new generation though. Interest rates have been abnormally low for the guts of 15 years now, so a return to the 'normal' before that won't be deemed a return to normal by most people. I took out my first mortgage in 2006 and by mid 2007 the rates were up 4.25% before the dive to help stabilise the world's economies. I'd say close to half the borrowers out there have never had a mortgage in a 5%+ market.

Comment

It'll be a shock for a whole new generation though. Interest rates have been abnormally low for the guts of 15 years now, so a return to the 'normal' before that won't be deemed a return to normal by most people. I took out my first mortgage in 2006 and by mid 2007 the rates were up 4.25% before the dive to help stabilise the world's economies. I'd say close to half the borrowers out there have never had a mortgage in a 5%+ market.
                                                                                      that's why we do stress testing...

Comment

that's why we do stress testing...
                                                                                        I'm sure it's rigorously done too. Aren't those tests for something like 2% higher than the rate being applied for?

Comment

The ECB isn't 'less nimble', they are just openly trying to protect the economy in addition to doing something about inflation. Lagarde, probably the most experienced central banker in the Western Hemisphere, was talking about it recently. Think they've only signalled one interest rate increase for this year for that reason.
                                                                                          "The European Central Bank committed to a quarter-point increase in interest rates next month and opened the door to a bigger hike in the fall as it confronts record inflation.

Announcing a first rise in borrowing costs in more than a decade, the ECB on Thursday described a series of rate moves to come. With fresh forecasts signaling a faster path for euro-zone prices than previously thought, it will cease large-scale asset purchases on July 1."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

Comment

I'm sure it's rigorously done too. Aren't those tests for something like 2% higher than the rate being applied for?
                                                                                            yes, that's the standard threshold

Comment

@HJ (and anyone else, of course) thinking of going in big on Hedera. Is that a good idea?
                                                                                              I don't know that much about it, I looked into it a year or so ago and wasn't that impressed, it has a lot of competition in the space (Solana, Near etc)

There's a good breakdown of its problems here: https://ercwl.medium.com/hedera-hash...d-9e6653c11525

That said it could all be different now, that was a long time ago but IMO this is a bad time to be adding on to risk assets and this is about as risky as they come, and there is a lot of competition in the space,

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

"The European Central Bank committed to a quarter-point increase in interest rates next month and opened the door to a bigger hike in the fall as it confronts record inflation.

Announcing a first rise in borrowing costs in more than a decade, the ECB on Thursday described a series of rate moves to come. With fresh forecasts signaling a faster path for euro-zone prices than previously thought, it will cease large-scale asset purchases on July 1."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe
                                                                                                Its almost like things change over time.

Edit: The ECB even say in their statement that they have changed their mind because of changed circumstances. Plus its still far less rapid than the US, so the main point still stands.
                                                                                                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 09-06-22, 12:52.

Comment

On interest rates. Aren't we and the UK the only countries in Europe that have variable interest rates rather than interest rates that are fixed for the life of the mortgage. Whats with that fuckery.

Comment

Its almost like things change over time.

Edit: The ECB even say in their statement that they have changed their mind because of changed circumstances. Plus its still far less rapid than the US, so the main point still stands.
                                                                                                    Nothing changed, they were just hoping inflation would go away of its own accord! Now it hasn't, they have to raise rates just like the mean old horrible (and nimbler!) Fed!

They are still forecasting 2.1% inflation in 2024, which will only happen if we really go to goblintown in the meantime.

Comment

On interest rates. Aren't we and the UK the only countries in Europe that have variable interest rates rather than interest rates that are fixed for the life of the mortgage. Whats with that fuckery.
                                                                                                      No, you can definitely get them. I think it's more that people tend to choose the fixed options.

A quick Google suggests about 10% of new mortgages in Germany are variable.

Comment

I'm clearly no economist, but aren't fuel prices and the Russia fuckery the main driver of current inflation, which then feeds into higher food prices, etc etc? How are higher interest rates going to solve this? Aren't interest rate increases traditionally a weapon against consumer driven spending inflation?

Comment

Actually, further Googling suggests that over 80% of new mortgages in Ireland are now fixed. Whereas previously it was the other way around.

Interesting.

Comment

I'm clearly no economist, but aren't fuel prices and the Russia fuckery the main driver of current inflation, which then feeds into higher food prices, etc etc? How are higher interest rates going to solve this? Aren't interest rate increases traditionally a weapon against consumer driven spending inflation?
                                                                                                            it goes into a spiral otherwise - people see their savings eroding via inflation and try to beat it by buying goods now, thus pushing up prices further

Comment

Actually, further Googling suggests that over 80% of new mortgages in Ireland are now fixed. Whereas previously it was the other way around.

Interesting.
                                                                                                              Our fixed are not like Germany's fixed though. Theirs are for the life of the mortgage, ours are predominantly for a few years duration.

Comment

Excellent question. No matter what the cause of inflation is, the only tried and tested response is to destroy demand. When people lose their jobs (or are fearful of losing their job)they spend a lot less money which reduces demand everywhere, helping fight inflation. (Central bankers won't put it as bluntly as this!).

If you look at other inflationary periods, the causes were many but the response is always the same. Inflation is very difficult to get under control once it rears its ugly head.

Central banks only have very crude tools, so they aim for a "soft" landing.
                                                                                                                Even that is now out of the question so they are now aiming for a "Softish" landing.

CNBC's Andrew Ross Sorkin and Austan Goolsbee, former chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers, break down the economic outlook as the Federal Reserve ra...

Comment

Our fixed are not like Germany's fixed though. Theirs are for the life of the mortgage, ours are predominantly for a few years duration.
                                                                                                                  Feck those Germans with their sensible long-term planning! Bastards!!

Comment

Haven't prices of everything gone up? I bought a car last year and it's worth more now than when I bought it and it's over a year older.
                                                                                                                    Restaurant prices have increased by over 10%.
                                                                                                                    They are just two examples. Obviously fuel prices are sky high.
                                                                                                                    Where's all this money coming from? As far as I'm aware the only thing that hasn't increased is wages.
                                                                                                                    'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                                                                                                                      Haven't prices of everything gone up? I bought a car last year and it's worth more now than when I bought it and it's over a year older.
                                                                                                                      Restaurant prices have increased by over 10%.
                                                                                                                      They are just two examples. Obviously fuel prices are sky high.
                                                                                                                      Where's all this money coming from? As far as I'm aware the only thing that hasn't increased is wages.
                                                                                                                      A lot of it is simply pent-up post covid demand

Comment

I love the actual game of golf but i'm enjoying the battle between LIV and the PGA . Popcorn time

PGA just banned the lot of them

Comment

A lot of it is simply pent-up post covid demand
                                                                                                                          STDs the same.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X