X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

RIP Paul.

The Brits are absolutely going to lose their sh1t when Liz pops her clogs. Weeks and weeks of wall to wall of media cringe. Plenty of Irish will jump on board to with gushing admiration. Gonna be an unprecedented pukefest. "She selflessly devoted here life to the service of the great British people".
    Ah, I think they'll hold it together for a nonagerian.

Princess Diana was the one that was a national meltdown.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Who died?

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Isnt there the possibility of selling/getting credited for excess due in in the near future?
        There is. But its 13.5 cent a unit they will be paying, so 50% of the cost of buying a unit from them.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

RIP Paul.

The Brits are absolutely going to lose their sh1t when Liz pops her clogs. Weeks and weeks of wall to wall of media cringe. Plenty of Irish will jump on board to with gushing admiration. Gonna be an unprecedented pukefest. "She selflessly devoted here life to the service of the great British people".
          Guarantee some knobs will be calling for observance of a minute’s slilence here when it happens
          plus all our bootlickers can roll out 5 minute anecdotes about the time the queen nodded at them on her visit
          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Didn’t realise EA sports and FIFA are splitting up
            assume it was a principled stance by FIFA over the game being turned into a vehicle for converting kids into degenerate gamblers(Ultimate Team)?
            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

we are literally rolling in dough. was a €6bn deficit last year.

The exchequer has recorded a surplus on a 12-month rolling basis for the first time since the beginning of the pandemic, according to the latest monthly figures from the Department of Finance.

Continued strong tax revenue and a steep drop in spending due to the unwinding of Covid-19 supports resulted in a €32m positive balance for the public finances in the 12-month period to the end of May.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                Who died?
                Common sense and human decency.

Funeral private, no flowers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  we are literally rolling in dough. was a €6bn deficit last year.
                  Does it matter- just going to be pissed into a black hole instead of saved for the day when the source evaporates

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Does it matter- just going to be pissed into a black hole instead of saved for the day when the source evaporates
                    meh. if we wanted to bore ourselves to death we would have elected accountants. let the party role.

Comment

meh. if we wanted to bore ourselves to death we would have elected accountants. let the party role.
                      We elected a teacher and a doctor.

Comment

England cricket team clearly re-enacting Dunkirk in homage to 'er Maj.

Wouldn't mind seeing the betting swongs on this one.

Comment

Relying on a comedian or a chines algo for news, probably isn't optimal. It's like when I talk to my mother and realise that her worldview is mainly coming from the Sunday Indo.

Comment

assume it was a principled stance by FIFA
                            Surely taking the mickey

Comment

Who died?
                              Romantic Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

MCC having to pay back the Sunday gate and (long shot) even the Saturday gate is always amusing.
                                Groundsman in August for the 2nd Lords Test will be under pressure to come up with a '630/4 declared' pitch.

Comment

Obi-Wan Kenobi

SPOILER
                                  Episode 3 delivers. Vader appears. Pure evil and brutality follow. Big improvement over the first two episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Relying on a comedian or a chines algo for news, probably isn't optimal. It's like when I talk to my mother and realise that her worldview is mainly coming from the Sunday Indo.
                                    I think the reality is that the average TikTok viewer isn't substituting the sixone news for TikTok, but rather that they would never watch the news in any event.

Comment

Son missed the critical 7th penalty in the shootout after their cup final was a scintillating 0-0 draw after extra time. Character building.

Comment

I think the reality is that the average TikTok viewer isn't substituting the sixone news for TikTok, but rather that they would never watch the news in any event.
                                        Pretty sure I didn't watch any TV news between 2006 and 2016, and it seemed very strange watching it again then. Thanks to Putin's special military operation, I doubt I'll watch any again.
                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I've never used that, and I doubt I'll ever get/need to expense it.

But I have always had that in the back of my mind it would be good for a big trip or honeymoon etc.
                                          Funnily enough, the missus got me an early father's day gift of platinum services for our trip to Lisbon.
                                          It's brazenly something she wanted and I can't see how on earth its worth it but sure we'll see how it goes and how the other half lives for a few hours.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Didn’t realise EA sports and FIFA are splitting up
                                            assume it was a principled stance by FIFA over the game being turned into a vehicle for converting kids into degenerate gamblers(Ultimate Team)?
                                            Money.
                                            EA already has deals with most clubs / leagues.
                                            Fifa had the name and World Cup. Fifa wanted a pretty hefty wedge for that alone.
                                            It's a calculated gamble by ea. They'll have EA Soccer or something next year.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

So I bumped into an excellent New Yorker article about Ulysses (for an American!) last week and it energised me again.

I felt a longing to dive back in. February marked the 100th year of its publication.

Some of you might remember I chronicled my second reading of the great novel a couple of years back in the 'What are you reading' thread which has largely succumbed to the dominance of BB/M/V thread and now, thusly, largely unfindable.

Anyway I was just Googling around and found a new 'definitive' annotated version of Ulysses which has recently been published - double the page count of the book itself if you don't mind!!! - and figured I would be a great experience BUT its 145 euro so I asked my wife to buy it for my birthday In September figuring it might be a keeper (given its academic roots etc.. it likely won't decrease in value.)

And then I wondered how I could share some of the value out of it and thought I might ask on IPB if anyone fancied doing a Ulysses book club read kind of thing over the course of a year or so - real-time written commentary, annotated argument analysis, zeigiesty-zoom calls, real world meetings maybe? etc.. who knows, we could write the script like a day in the life...

Long shot but if anyone fancies it pipe up and we could make it happen with all sorts of tangential types of joycean jiggery pokery going on.

Here's an idea of how to start but there 's SO much more a pan-IPB assault on this greatest of novels might achieve.

Last edited by BennyHiFi; 03-06-22, 08:22.

Comment

It's a kind of magic roundabout for me, mostly read along while listening to the RTE 1982 recording which is just the greatest thing ever. Every year I pick an episode at random and read along from there. Wandering Rocks, Sirens and Cyclops so far this year

Hoping to make some of the performances of Barry McGovern reading in the Abbey next week.
                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Going camping here tomorrow for the hotel-beating-price of €20 a night. Pray for no rain! Decathlon really have corned the market in class quality camping equipment. Those inflatable tents are a cool idea.

Comment

Whats yer fav Irish Ballad? Playing a wee set in Helsinki for a 50th . A request for an irish ballad or two. I like foggy dew , Irish ways etc. Suggestions welcome. The Finns like the ol rebellious songs . im not a huge fan of the Wolf Tone type .stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                      Whats yer fav Irish Ballad? Playing a wee set in Helsinki for a 50th . A request for an irish ballad or two. I like foggy dew , Irish ways etc. Suggestions welcome. The Finns like the ol rebellious songs . im not a huge fan of the Wolf Tone type .stuff though.
                                                      So many to choose from. Many from Finbar Furey and Furey Brothers. Give me Sweet Sixteen, Green Fields of France. What about 'she moved through the fair'. But, like it or not, you cannot leave out 'A Nation Once Again'

Comment

Is there a way around independent paywall? Looking for a read of this.

airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/d...-41715942.html
                                                          I'm subscribed (for the sports, don't @ me) so I can help

SPOILER

Losing €1m a day and making a third of their staff redundant during the pandemic, Dublin Airport bosses still found the funds to fit out a lavish new open-plan office for themselves .

Located across the road from where passengers were queuing outside last weekend, the no-expense-spared office block is a world away from the cramped and dirty surroundings inside T1 and T2. The spacious work accommodation is also a far cry from the holding pens passengers will be herded into if queues get too long this bank holiday weekend.

Nicknamed ‘The DAAcha’ after a posh Russian holiday home, the new headquarters has a boardroom with special switchable smart glass that frosts for privacy at the touch of a button.

The ground floor canteen allows executives to eat cake in comfort while looking across the road at the queues of passengers standing outside the airport.

A hipster red coffee trailer from Steam & Froth in the front yard provides barista coffee, other hot drinks, wraps and rolls away from the long lines of people looking for something to eat or drink inside the terminals.

The architects – TOT – employed say they “utilised high ceilings and natural light to create a welcoming environment” for DAA staff.

The design of the open-plan desk spaces, collaborative meeting spaces and breakout zones “provides a variety of settings that support a range of postures, presence and privacy”.

“Inspired by movement and travel, the signature wing curve is the defining feature used throughout the design of the interior, from identifying the zoning and planning of the space to feature wall, ceiling and floor details,” TOT says.

The furniture is top end. The Spanish lounge chairs from Valencia are designed “based on the classics of the Bauhaus”, while the desk chairs are “inspired by the physiognomy and movement of sharks” and the armchairs “have clear references to the Scandinavian design tradition”.

The 43,000 square feet of office space across four floors was fitted out last year ahead of the return of staff following lockdown.

Offices are not fully occupied yet as staff alternate between home and the new headquarters.

A noticeboard with writing on it on the first floor shows there is activity, as does a hi-vis jacket draped across a chair.

DAA chief executive Dalton Philips’s corner office looks back across toward Terminal 2 and the runway, and also has a view of the Dublin Mountains in the distance.

The executive offices were previously based in different locations, including the original 1930s modernist terminal building and the 1970s Terminal 1.

The new headquarters brings all the corporate departments together.

As the architects note: “This new interior is the future of DAA; bringing teams together, building relationships and boosting collaboration”.

The Dublin Airport Central office complex was developed by the DAA, which then made itself an anchor tenant.

“There is no better option for your business premises to reside, with access to national and international transport, a beautifully modern work environment and a host of favourable amenities,” the office block marketing material says.

There is no mention of queues.

Comment

Clancy brothers version of When The Ship Comes in.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/d...-41715942.html
                                                              SPOILER
                                                              Losing €1m a day and making a third of their staff redundant during the pandemic, Dublin Airport bosses still found the funds to fit out a lavish new open-plan office for themselves .

Located across the road from where passengers were queuing outside last weekend, the no-expense-spared office block is a world away from the cramped and dirty surroundings inside T1 and T2. The spacious work accommodation is also a far cry from the holding pens passengers will be herded into if queues get too long this bank holiday weekend.

Explainer: What is causing the chaos at Dublin Airport
                                                              00:00
                                                              03:45
                                                              720p
                                                              720p
                                                              480p
                                                              360p high
                                                              360p low
                                                              Share this video

Nicknamed ‘The DAAcha’ after a posh Russian holiday home, the new headquarters has a boardroom with special switchable smart glass that frosts for privacy at the touch of a button.

The ground floor canteen allows executives to eat cake in comfort while looking across the road at the queues of passengers standing outside the airport.
                                                              Read More
                                                              In the courtyard there is a giant chess board and a ping pong table to let off stress.
                                                              The Indo Daily: Keep calm and bring a carry-on — How to beat the chaotic queues at Dublin Airport

A hipster red coffee trailer from Steam & Froth in the front yard provides barista coffee, other hot drinks, wraps and rolls away from the long lines of people looking for something to eat or drink inside the terminals.

The architects – TOT – employed say they “utilised high ceilings and natural light to create a welcoming environment” for DAA staff.

The design of the open-plan desk spaces, collaborative meeting spaces and breakout zones “provides a variety of settings that support a range of postures, presence and privacy”.

“Inspired by movement and travel, the signature wing curve is the defining feature used throughout the design of the interior, from identifying the zoning and planning of the space to feature wall, ceiling and floor details,” TOT says.
                                                              Dublin Eye Newsletter

Dublin news for Dubs everywhere. Find out what’s going on in the nation’s capital. Issued every Friday.

The furniture is top end. The Spanish lounge chairs from Valencia are designed “based on the classics of the Bauhaus”, while the desk chairs are “inspired by the physiognomy and movement of sharks” and the armchairs “have clear references to the Scandinavian design tradition”.

The 43,000 square feet of office space across four floors was fitted out last year ahead of the return of staff following lockdown.

Offices are not fully occupied yet as staff alternate between home and the new headquarters.

A noticeboard with writing on it on the first floor shows there is activity, as does a hi-vis jacket draped across a chair.

DAA chief executive Dalton Philips’s corner office looks back across toward Terminal 2 and the runway, and also has a view of the Dublin Mountains in the distance.

The executive offices were previously based in different locations, including the original 1930s modernist terminal building and the 1970s Terminal 1.

As the architects note: “This new interior is the future of DAA; bringing teams together, building relationships and boosting collaboration”.

The Dublin Airport Central office complex was developed by the DAA, which then made itself an anchor tenant.

“There is no better option for your business premises to reside, with access to national and international transport, a beautifully modern work environment and a host of favourable amenities,” the office block marketing material says.

Comment

Haha thanks. Didn't think an insomnia trailer would qualify as hipster
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Looks like perfect bowling conditions at Lords, overcast. This game could be done today.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I'm subscribed (for the sports, don't @ me) so I can help

SPOILER

Top quality journalism there

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Top quality journalism there
                                                                      €3 a month I suppose I'm getting what I pay for

Comment

Nice bit of booing for BoJo

Comment

Was listening to a podcast yesterday where they were waxing lyrically about Human Remains starring Rob Brydon. Just can't seem to find it anywhere online, and Amazon won't let me purchase it due to not being in the UK (well they let you purchase the DVD, but who has a DVD player). Is there anyway of getting it?

Comment

Staycation next week, first thing i did this morning was go out and buy a rainjacket. FU Ireland.

Comment

Was listening to a podcast yesterday where they were waxing lyrically about Human Remains starring Rob Brydon. Just can't seem to find it anywhere online, and Amazon won't let me purchase it due to not being in the UK (well they let you purchase the DVD, but who has a DVD player). Is there anyway of getting it?
                                                                              First ep is definitely up on youtube.
                                                                              'Human Remains' - "An English Squeak" - Rob Brydon and Julia Davis - YouTube

The series was a bit hit and miss which happens in these anthology things, think I liked 4 of the 6.

Comment

Seems to be all here https://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x6bn0v

Comment

ah cheers. I forgot to even consider youtube.

In other tv news, I see The Floor is Lava is back for a second blockbuster series.

Comment

Staycation next week, first thing i did this morning was go out and buy a rainjacket. FU Ireland.
                                                                                    Drowned rats in the soccer final last night, and cold with it. There hasn't been a warm day yet this year imo.

Comment

Drowned rats in the soccer final last night, and cold with it. There hasn't been a warm day yet this year imo.
                                                                                      Have you considered moving to the Southside. Either my standards are low, or we've had loads of great days here.

Comment

7 Drunken Nights
                                                                                        Rocky Road to Dublin
                                                                                        Grace
                                                                                        Rising of the moon
                                                                                        Hand me down me bible

Comment

Rocky Road to Dublin (try saying that without finishing 12345), Green Fields of France, Sweet 16, Lakes of Ponchatrain

Comment

Jesus, that Indo article is absolutely woeful but I suppose it's good to get a reminder every so often as to why I don't read that or the Sindo. I'd be embarrassed to put my name to it.

Comment

Have you considered moving to the Southside. Either my standards are low, or we've had loads of great days here.
                                                                                              Don't you live in Wicklow or somewhere equally distant from the cultural delights of the city centre?

Comment

Comment

Hard to beat Green Fields of France.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

7 Drunken Nights
                                                                                                    Rocky Road to Dublin
                                                                                                    Grace
                                                                                                    Rising of the moon
                                                                                                    Hand me down me bible
                                                                                                    Grace a great shout… don’t forget that Irish Classic “friends in low places”

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                      Nice bit of booing for BoJo

There is still some 6/4 about him not surviving this year

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

There is still some 6/4 about him not surviving this year
                                                                                                        Sure Thatcher got booed in public for a decade.

Comment

Solksjaer!

​​​​​​​Grace
                                                                                                          Green Fields of France
                                                                                                          Arthur McBride
                                                                                                          Red is the Rose
                                                                                                          Mo Ghile Mear
                                                                                                          The Town I Loved So Well
                                                                                                          McAlpine's Fusiliers
                                                                                                          The Black Velvet Band
                                                                                                          Come my little son
                                                                                                          Spanish Lady
                                                                                                          I'm a Rover
                                                                                                          Dublin in the Rare Old Times
                                                                                                          Spancill Hill

Comment

The trailer for the new Louis CK movie came out today. Very Woody Allen sounding

Comment

Airport watch update

arrived in Valencia airport yesterday at 17:02…checked in a bag, through security and in a seat, beer in hand at 17:17. Not a rain jacket in sight.

you’re all just living in the wrong country
                                                                                                              Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                                Airport watch update

arrived in Valencia airport yesterday at 17:02…checked in a bag, through security and in a seat, beer in hand at 17:17. Not a rain jacket in sight.

you’re all just living in the wrong country
                                                                                                                If i wanted to go to the airport today i couldnt have anyway, carnage on the M50. Tough time for a few families tonight

Comment

Gary Moore - Parisian Walkways for the power ballad and out in the fields for the rebellious song.

Comment

Salonika for the ballad. Contains one of the best lyrics written..

'Ah me husband's in Salonika, I wonder if he's dead..

I wonder if he knows he has a kid with a poxy head'

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Cheers folks a lot to ponder there . The missus has Only our Rivers Run Free and Stor mo Croi covered.
                                                                                                                      The Clacy brother dylan cover one hnmm Helsinki being a port city . Could work. Keep that as a suprise .

Comment

If i wanted to go to the airport today i couldnt have anyway, carnage on the M50. Tough time for a few families tonight
                                                                                                                        Do you know details ? Bloke on a motorbike i heard. Its a fecking F1 circuit most days .

Comment

Do you know details ? Bloke on a motorbike i heard. Its a fecking F1 circuit most days .
                                                                                                                          No, just saw what was on news. Dont want to know either.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X