Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So will ROG get offered the England job?Will he shake the Queens hand ? Would he take it ?
    would the Lunster la Rochelles be cheering England against Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
      So will ROG get offered the England job?Will he shake the Queens hand ? Would he take it ?
      would the Lunster la Rochelles be cheering England against Ireland.
      If offered it, he 100% should take it.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I've never had or even seen a Freddo bar. Had only heard of them before today on UK comedy panel shows, and assumed that was what HH was referencing.

You haven't fully experienced life yet so

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Teaching a machine learning course at the moment to actuaries in a very well ranked UK business school, so the pressure is on to outperform. Jaysus, it really forces you to up your game. Had no idea how little I knew until I sat down to try to prep the course. But its such a lovely feeling to see your knowledge building up layer by layer, upgrading the brain to Brain2.0.
          Don't give away your location on here man! The Kerry folk are no doubt deploying an army of The Daoine Sidhe to fuck you up as I type. Don't be surprised if your models or slides fall apart today.

Asked the daughter recently, if she had to choose between digging up a graveyard or a fairy fort to build a house, which would it be. She answered graveyard in a heartbeat. You don't mess with the fairy folk as I'm sure Hitch will testify to down the line.
          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Don't give away your location on here man! The Kerry folk are no doubt deploying an army of The Daoine Sidhe to fuck you up as I type. Don't be surprised if your models or slides fall apart today.

Asked the daughter recently, if she had to choose between digging up a graveyard or a fairy fort to build a house, which would it be. She answered graveyard in a heartbeat. You don't mess with the fairy folk as I'm sure Hitch will testify to down the line.
            I’d assume she said graveyard as she knows you can’t dig up a fairy fort. On account of the fact they don’t exist.
            No flies on her.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’d assume she said graveyard as she knows you can’t dig up a fairy fort. On account of the fact they don’t exist.
              No flies on her.
              Well, they most certainly do exist, there are three in close proximity to me. I guess the question is if you believe they have any mythical "power" if you will.

My father has quite a few stories of bad things that happened to people who disturbed him when he was young. While they obviously have no connection to any aforementioned power, i still wouldn't go messing with them if i had a choice IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                My father has quite a few stories of bad things that happened to people who disturbed him when he was young.
                did he mellow as he got older?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

did he mellow as he got older?
                  Good spot! Had to re-read a few times before i saw it!

Comment

Cliffs on the Hitch Kerry fairies twitter thing?
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Tim Vine recreating scenes from Colombo is the kind of content that will keep Twitter safe from Musk. Class
                      ​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

My woman's parents are flying home on Sunday. Her dad is elderly with diabetes, limited mobility and has to use a cane to get around. Obviously I'm worried about him being stuck in a queue for hours.

Does anyone know there any arrangement for him to get priority or have somewhere to rest/sit while he waits for security?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                          My woman's parents are flying home on Sunday. Her dad is elderly with diabetes, limited mobility and has to use a cane to get around. Obviously I'm worried about him being stuck in a queue for hours.

Does anyone know there any arrangement for him to get priority or have somewhere to rest/sit while he waits for security?
                          OCS look after that, theyll give him a wheelchair and bring him through security as a priority. Keep in mind i think with everyone else they are having resourcing issues, id give them a ring tomorrow, get them booked in and arrive in plenty of time of the day.

Sent you a PM there in case you didnt notice also.
                          Last edited by eamonhonda; 31-05-22, 20:54.
                          airport, lol

Comment

Nadal n Djokovic serving up another classic so far.

Comment

Cheers lads, probably should have Googled that one first!

Nadal Djokovic tied with a set each at the moment in Roland Garros. Great battle so far.

Comment

Anyone have a helicopter or know a reputable place to rent one for a quick trip to mark an occasion? Any place I've checked online either dont have quotes and one place was starting at 5k which isnt ideal. Trip would be for around an hour so any pointers appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                  Cheers lads, probably should have Googled that one first!

Nadal Djokovic tied with a set each at the moment in Roland Garros. Great battle so far.
                                  Its a lovely service. Was next to someone on the plane over a few months back, it was her first trip abroad in two years and she had been highly nervous, was quite frail, and she must have spent the whole hour going on about how nice they were. You wouldn't get that in your fancy london airports. A five-wombat experience.
                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The missus has family over for her sister's wedding wedding. Both bedrooms have been surrendered for the week. So we've resigned to a blow up mattress in the sitting room. Everyone is now glued to Roland Garros in the sitting room and Im funking for Nadal to run away with it!

It's after midnight in Paris. How long will this go on for?

Comment

Great stuff, Incredible recovery in the 4th set, don't think I woulda had the stamina for another set

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                        Great stuff, Incredible recovery in the 4th set, don't think I woulda had the stamina for another set
                                        Yeah I thought in that 20 min game he was beginning to feel it and would fatigue. Djokovic made too many unforced errors and tried a few too many drop shots. Nadal just ground that out.

Comment

Loved that it started in May and Finished in June . Very apt for these guys .

Comment

Well, they most certainly do exist, there are three in close proximity to me. I guess the question is if you believe they have any mythical "power" if you will.

My father has quite a few stories of bad things that happened to people who disturbed him when he was young. While they obviously have no connection to any aforementioned power, i still wouldn't go messing with them if i had a choice IMO.
                                            Ringforts, stone circles etc, were structures that were constructed and remain as archeological features in the landscape. By not exist I was talking about the alleged “fairies” aspect.

Comment

Ringforts, stone circles etc, were structures that were constructed and remain as archeological features in the landscape. By not exist I was talking about the alleged “fairies” aspect.
                                              Explain the monies under my pillow when i know for a fact my mudder was skint . You dont know everything Mellor .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                Anyone have a helicopter or know a reputable place to rent one for a quick trip to mark an occasion? Any place I've checked online either dont have quotes and one place was starting at 5k which isnt ideal. Trip would be for around an hour so any pointers appreciated
                                                Irish Poker PIlot Zuutroy seems to have fallen off the face of the earth, possibly gone volunteering with the UAF.

If not, he must surely be due to airlift the HHE to the Listowel Races in September.

Comment

They have no mythical power. There's no such thing.

Bad things happen to people. All the time. Why associate those bad things with disturbing a fairy ring as opposed to what they ate for breakfast? "Porridge after noon will spell your doom" as my old imaginary Pappy would say. Or maybe it was their choice of shoes? "A man with rubber soles shall lose his soul" as old Grannie Madeup used to tell me.

These sorts of nonsense ideas usually have a logical origin. Old ringforts might have also doubled up as burial mounds or they were revered as the former seat of some great family so the "fairy fort" nonsense was concocted to stop people disturbing them since the idea of preserving them wasn't enough to stop people. Ghost stories to scare children.

We still do this. In UCC there are 2 versions, for example. It's said if you walk on the grass in the quad or across the mosaic in the Aula Maxima that you'll fail your exams. Which is patent nonsense. But it was clearly started by the groundskeepers to keep the grass in good nick and stop the mosaic from fading by people walking across it all the time. Logical basis for a bullshit warning.

If you dig up a fairy fort awful things might happen to you. But they might well happen whether you dig it up or not. The two are utterly unrelated.
                                                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I don't mind those types of superstitions, they are harmless bits of cultural transmission (the fairyforts, not the UCC thing). I don't think I've ever met a magpie I haven't said 'good morning Mr Magpie' to, or counted how many there are to see if it meant good or bad luck.

Comment

Well played Degag

Comment

Understood, you were being pedantic but so was I!

Comment

It's unlucky to be superstitious.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

They have no mythical power. There's no such thing.

Bad things happen to people. All the time. Why associate those bad things with disturbing a fairy ring as opposed to what they ate for breakfast? "Porridge after noon will spell your doom" as my old imaginary Pappy would say. Or maybe it was their choice of shoes? "A man with rubber soles shall lose his soul" as old Grannie Madeup used to tell me.

These sorts of nonsense ideas usually have a logical origin. Old ringforts might have also doubled up as burial mounds or they were revered as the former seat of some great family so the "fairy fort" nonsense was concocted to stop people disturbing them since the idea of preserving them wasn't enough to stop people. Ghost stories to scare children.

We still do this. In UCC there are 2 versions, for example. It's said if you walk on the grass in the quad or across the mosaic in the Aula Maxima that you'll fail your exams. Which is patent nonsense. But it was clearly started by the groundskeepers to keep the grass in good nick and stop the mosaic from fading by people walking across it all the time. Logical basis for a bullshit warning.

If you dig up a fairy fort awful things might happen to you. But they might well happen whether you dig it up or not. The two are utterly unrelated.
                                                            Do you think i disagree with you or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                              It's unlucky to be superstitious.
                                                              Paddy Powers throw out half of the CVs they get to avoid hiring unlucky people . (Joke circa 1996)

Comment

Do you think i disagree with you or something?
                                                                The suggestion in your initial post was that you wouldn't move them because of some "mythical" power. If I took that up wrong that's very much on me.
                                                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

The suggestion in your initial post was that you wouldn't move them because of some "mythical" power. If I took that up wrong that's very much on me.
                                                                  Nah. But if i had a big open field and a choice of ‘doing something’ elsewhere, i would.

Moreso that there is a natural beauty about them than anything.

it’s slightly irrelevant cause i don’t have said field.

It’s a hugely superstitious thing where i’m from though amongst a certain generation. Probably due to the proliferation of them.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

pretty standard now i would have thought. just grab a priority ticket and you'll be through in 30 minutes.

off to inverness on wednesday from gatwick. will report in also as to how bad these london airports are. thing i'm most worried about is i'm travelling with easyjet who seem to be cancelling flights for fun at the moment
                                                                    Bag drop and security done in 30 minutes total. The airport inside is incredibly busy though. Time for a few pints

Comment

You're worse than Comical Ali at this stage shrap. You're probably queuing ten miles away from the terminal, having slept there overnight, waiting for a permission slip to enter the airport gates, so you can start queuing outside. I'm on to you like a hawk.

Comment

You're worse than Comical Ali at this stage shrap. You're probably queuing ten miles away from the terminal, having slept there overnight, waiting for a permission slip to enter the airport gates, so you can start queuing outside. I'm on to you like a hawk.
                                                                        The kingdom is calling. Go on that radio show. Ipb is behind you​.

Add a shout out to Shraaap queuing in the uk when you're there

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Killarney in July surely the preferential Kerry race meeting.

/ IN.
                                                                          As an added bonus, we can drop HH off to his Radio Kerry interview. Parachute optional.

Comment

It's a little known fact that Dublin Airport Terminal 1 was built on a fairy fort.

Comment

Tim Vine recreating scenes from Colombo is the kind of content that will keep Twitter safe from Musk. Class
                                                                              ​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Just the one technique of course, but still, shits on Quincy.

Comment

Tough to listen to the airport bleating- travel chaos of some form should have been priced into everyone’s decisions this year- get used to it
                                                                                played a part in my decision making for this summer anyway- the other being it’s time to get used to a reduction in foreign travel - one way or another the cheap and easy era is over and it’s not coming back
                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                  Tough to listen to the airport bleating- travel chaos of some form should have been priced into everyone’s decisions this year- get used to it
                                                                                  played a part in my decision making for this summer anyway- the other being it’s time to get used to a reduction in foreign travel - one way or another the cheap and easy era is over and it’s not coming back
                                                                                  I've flown multiple times without an issue this year. Longest wait was still less than 30 mins. And all the tickets were <100 eur.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I've flown multiple times without an issue this year. Longest wait was still less than 30 mins. And all the tickets were <100 eur.
                                                                                    You are now coming into peak season- issues were inevitable

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Believing in fairy forts/god way less stupid than believing in limitless economic growth/ pain free climate change transitions/ anything Stephen pinker says/cryptocurrency
                                                                                      Last edited by MysteryGuest; 01-06-22, 11:37.

Comment

Ah ya, such great value in staycations too, as long as you stay in your own home and don't eat out.

Just on a whim, decided to look up a hotel room in Dublin on Sep 17th, just for the one night. Nothing cheaper than €400 available. Around the country fuck all less than 200 too unless you want to stay in a pub hotel in a middle of nowhere small town.

Comment

Believing in fairy forts/god way less stupid than believing in limitless economic growth/ pain free climate change transitions/ anything Stephen pinker says/cryptocurrency

I laughed when this popped up this morning. Fecking google is listening

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Ah ya, such great value in staycations too, as long as you stay in your own home and don't eat out.

Just on a whim, decided to look up a hotel room in Dublin on Sep 17th, just for the one night. Nothing cheaper than €400 available. Around the country fuck all less than 200 too unless you want to stay in a pub hotel in a middle of nowhere small town.
                                                                                            Kids have a week off next week so we got a decent 4 bed house for the week on the grounds of a hotel where you can use all the facitities for €960 for 5 adults and 2 kids.

Comment

Freudian slip there with tities

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Kids have a week off next week so we got a decent 4 bed house for the week on the grounds of a hotel where you can use all the facitities for €960 for 5 adults and 2 kids.
                                                                                                One of your kids moved out already?

Comment

One of your kids moved out already?
                                                                                                  Not that I'm aware of

Comment

Wife is currently sitting on a plane in Manchester waiting for crew to load their bags onto the plane. They are short staffed apparently, could be waiting up to an hour.
                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I laughed when this popped up this morning. Fecking google is listening
                                                                                                      That's a super clip, so many little details.

I remember someone, could have been the same lad, setting a record for being buried alive over the week of 'the Carnival' in Naas late 60's early 70's, being buried alive was apparently all the rage in those days. Think there were stories of him being seen out and about in the pubs after the carnival closed up for the night. Like the fairy stories people preferred to claim it was a ghost or doppelganger rather than the mundane explanation that he was able to get out of the coffin at night and was only doing the day shift at the Carnival.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of
                                                                                                        Don't you have 3 of them? Also, what is this hotel?

Comment

Don't you have 3 of them? Also, what is this hotel?
                                                                                                          Only 2 thank fuck.

Comment

Only 2 thank fuck.
                                                                                                            No, no it's defintely three.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

No, no it's defintely three.
                                                                                                              Wife would agree and count me tbf

Comment

That's a super clip, so many little details.

I remember someone, could have been the same lad, setting a record for being buried alive over the week of 'the Carnival' in Naas late 60's early 70's, being buried alive was apparently all the rage in those days. Think there were stories of him being seen out and about in the pubs after the carnival closed up for the night. Like the fairy stories people preferred to claim it was a ghost or doppelganger rather than the mundane explanation that he was able to get out of the coffin at night and was only doing the day shift at the Carnival.
                                                                                                                Its hard to believe it can be real. And Bill O'H looking well

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Flights may be less than €100 but Denny obviously expensing the "Platinum Services".

Comment

Decided to stress test the airport and booked flights to Lisbon for a week in August.
                                                                                                                    Should probably get a wriggle on and book hotel/Airbnb.
                                                                                                                    Anyone been before? Any suggestions?
                                                                                                                    The 6 year old's on request is a pool which seems to limit options somewhat
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Our electricity meter reading at midnight last night: 91801, our meter reading right now 91782. omg. Had solar installed on Tuesday and because its a 60 year old meter it literally rewinds back when there is excess electricity. Who needs a battery when we've got that!

Comment

Our electricity meter reading at midnight last night: 91801, our meter reading right now 91782. omg. Had solar installed on Tuesday and because its a 60 year old meter it literally rewinds back when there is excess electricity. Who needs a battery when we've got that!
                                                                                                                        Wow, you could get a few Freddos for that. I'd still be a bit worried about the safety of the set up though.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Depp verdict being announced live in the next few minutes. Its the OJ trial of our time. Where were you when the Depp verdict was being announced? Hopefully not queuing in a London airport.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X