Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The disconnect between the obvious discomfort on the podium and the brain dead ignorance of the imbeciles in the audience

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

In fairness, I hadn't realised how awful, and in the middle of nowhere, Stansted was, so have booked Gatwick for all the upcoming flights.
      There's a train station in the airport, take the southern line, it's nearly half the price of the Gatwick express (no stops) for a 5 min longer journey. No tickets needed, tap your debit card. Thameslink also an option depending on where you are going and cheaper.
      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-05-22, 11:32.

Comment

things must be really tough in the Irish market. just received specs and invitations to apply for two roles, senior one at 140-160 and junior at 100-120. Can't even imagine how far down the list my email add must be at this stage
        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

There's a train station in the airport, take the southern line, it's nearly half the price of the Gatwick express (no stops) for a 5 min longer journey. No tickets needed, tap your debit card. Thameslink also an option depending on where you are going and cheaper.
          You can go from Kerry to Luton which I did for the first time recently and was amazed how quick and easy the journey to central London was also.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
            things must be really tough in the Irish market. just received specs and invitations to apply for two roles, senior one at 140-160 and junior at 100-120. Can't even imagine how far down the list my email add must be at this stage
            Same everywhere tbh, not just an Irish thing.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm so far out of the loop I wouldn't know, but I can see how there could be a shortage of experienced people for certain role profiles.

Most of whet I read about is the crippling unemployment of youth 18-25 workers in various countries. Though I personally believe a lot of that is down to not wanting certain jobs as opposed to 0 jobs being available.

Comment

things must be really tough in the Irish market. just received specs and invitations to apply for two roles, senior one at 140-160 and junior at 100-120.
                Kinda interesting how little the gap is between senior and junior there though. The senior role is underpaid imo.

Comment

How exactly does an NCT work? As in, if I roll in and there's something minor wrong with the car, will they fix it (for a cost presumably), or they just fail the car and then its deemed non-roadworthy.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

How exactly does an NCT work? As in, if I roll in and there's something minor wrong with the car, will they fix it (for a cost presumably), or they just fail the car and then its deemed non-roadworthy.
                    they don't do any repairs only test.
                    They give you a list of issues, you then go to your garage to get them fixed and if necessary go back to NCT for clearance.

As a new car it should probably pass 1st time unless you haven't been keeping an eye on the tyres
                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Kinda interesting how little the gap is between senior and junior there though. The senior role is underpaid imo.
                      I think (if I'm being kind) that they are probably aiming the senior role at the high end and the junior role at the low end in which case they really shouldn't give the bands. Also, they should be only sending 1 spec to each person but that again smacks of how desperate the market is for bodies I think.

What's most interesting to me is that the numbers are more or less where they were the last time I was actually in those kind of positions which intuitively seems a little wrong.

Comment

A fail in an NCT doesn't automatically mean the car is unroadworthy. There is a certain fail where they will declare the car unsafe for the road and I guess if you were stopped after getting that you could be in trouble but there would be fails for things like incorrectly focused headlights or whatever and you just take it to your mechanic to be fixed.

Comment

Lovely, thanks.

Comment

I was a bit concerned that my and my wife's penchant for bumping into walls in multistorey car parks might have knocked something slightly askew.

Comment

Watched the first episode of Obi-Wan Kenobi last night. With a fair bit of trepidation as Disney have turned Star Wars into an abomination. It was surprisingly good. Maybe because Ewan is such a presence on screen. Presumably it will eventually descend into nonsense (am still considering suing them for the criminal loss of time spent watching The Mandalorian), but its a strong start.

Comment

If you are going to London rather than say England, LCY >>>>>> all other London Airports and usually works out cheaper overall.

Comment

I was a bit concerned that my and my wife's penchant for bumping into walls in multistorey car parks might have knocked something slightly askew.
                                  This may be obvious but sometimes you see garages offering 'pre-NCT check ups' and this sort of thing to try and part you from your hard earned but usually the best thing to do if you think your car might fail is just take it to be tested. You will then have a piece of paper with the issues you need resolved to hand to the mechanic and just say 'fix these please'. Not an issue if you have a good relationship with a scrupulous person you trust to do the needful and no more, but if you're a novice car owner you probably don't and may find wipers, bulbs, filters etc being changed very regularly otherwise

Comment

I think (if I'm being kind) that they are probably aiming the senior role at the high end and the junior role at the low end in which case they really shouldn't give the bands. Also, they should be only sending 1 spec to each person but that again smacks of how desperate the market is for bodies I think.

What's most interesting to me is that the numbers are more or less where they were the last time I was actually in those kind of positions which intuitively seems a little wrong.
                                    Definitely wrong although RichieM can give us chapter and verse.

Although if you actually got into a position to be made an offer, it's a dream market for setting your own price.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      If you are going to London rather than say England, LCY >>>>>> all other London Airports and usually works out cheaper overall.
                                      You would be much better off flying to any London airport from your most convenient Irish airport than trying to get from almost anywhere to Dublin airport in order to fly to LCY. If I need to make a journey of an hour or more from an airport to my destination I'd rather do it on London public transport instead of Irish dumpster fire road/rail.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

You would be much better off flying to any London airport from your most convenient Irish airport than trying to get from almost anywhere to Dublin airport in order to fly to LCY. If I need to make a journey of an hour or more from an airport to my destination I'd rather do it on London public transport instead of Irish dumpster fire road/rail.
                                        Remember a Cork barman saying that he was delighted when his daughter moved from Dublin to London, as it meant it was more convenient to get to see her.

Dublin Airport is normally a class airport though.

Comment

Who's our PRSA expert on here?

the pensions authority has all of them - charges etc - transparently @ https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/...uary_2022.xlsx

Hard to see anything immediately beating https://www.labrokers.ie/zurichprsa-forms/ which seems to have been thrown up on reddit before too (https://www.reddit.com/r/irishperson...r_individuals/) - think this is Zurich RFAJ

Anything I'm not considering? I know V4V suggested speaking to Mark @GlobalWealth [ think they've a new name now ] before, but don't think I'm a big enough fish for him (and his €2.5k startup fee!)

Comment

Remember a Cork barman saying that he was delighted when his daughter moved from Dublin to London, as it meant it was more convenient to get to see her.

My point is just that travelling between any airport in London and wherever you need to be in London is going to be a better experience than travelling most places in Ireland to Dublin airport current dystopian hellscape aside. I've flown into Luton, Stansted, Gatwick and Heathrow in the recent past all going to north London and the journey from each is just completely painless. Contrast that with getting a bus or a train (lol) from anywhere to Dublin airport and whatever effort you save by flying to LCI is in the halfpenny place.

Comment

*LCY

Comment

I read your post wrong, I see what you mean. Would be even more true when/if they ever rationalise the 'don't you feel really safe now' theatre of security checking.

Comment

Just had an aggravating email from mortgage broker who tells me a place we applied will only go off net income, so paying 20% (gross) AVCs into a pension and 10% (net) into an advantaged stock purchase scheme - either of which can be withdrawn from instantly - makes me more of a risk to give a mortgage to than someone doing neither.

Seems crazy that a company would be so disinterested in their own business that they wouldn't have someone just read the payslips properly.

Comment

Potato conference on in the RDS. elbows must be attending?

"I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The Ronaldo bet paid off - nearly got very tight at the end but he ran out of steam in the final furlong.

Now need to consider what completely frivolous purchase to utilise the Lao Lootz for.

With inflation as it is, that 100 euro will realistically only transfer to you being able to buy the equivalent of a 10 penny bag of sweets

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

With inflation as it is, that 100 euro will realistically only transfer to you being able to buy the equivalent of a 10 penny bag of sweets
                                                        We are gradually moving towards a more sustainable monetary system where everything will be measured in Freddo bars. He made a decent two-freddo-bar win.

Comment

We are gradually moving towards a more sustainable monetary system where everything will be measured in Freddo bars. He made a decent two-freddo-bar win.
                                                          Surely Chomps would be the nut currency.

Comment

Due to fly home from London Stansted tomorrow.
                                                            RyanAir just sent an email recommending I reach the airport 3 hours before departure
                                                            Apparently not just a Dublin thing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                              Potato conference on in the RDS. elbows must be attending?

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022...tato-congress/
                                                              going to see the man with the giant hands https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news...ss-in-ireland/
                                                              Last edited by elbows; 30-05-22, 15:35.
                                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                Due to fly home from London Stansted tomorrow.
                                                                RyanAir just sent an email recommending I reach the airport 3 hours before departure
                                                                Apparently not just a Dublin thing.
                                                                pretty standard now i would have thought. just grab a priority ticket and you'll be through in 30 minutes.

off to inverness on wednesday from gatwick. will report in also as to how bad these london airports are. thing i'm most worried about is i'm travelling with easyjet who seem to be cancelling flights for fun at the moment

Comment

The part that scared me was that they recommended 2.5 hours for Dublin.

Comment

Just had an aggravating email from mortgage broker who tells me a place we applied will only go off net income, so paying 20% (gross) AVCs into a pension and 10% (net) into an advantaged stock purchase scheme - either of which can be withdrawn from instantly - makes me more of a risk to give a mortgage to than someone doing neither.

Seems crazy that a company would be so disinterested in their own business that they wouldn't have someone just read the payslips properly.
                                                                    AIB/EBS refused me an exemption as I max out my pension - was it them? They take as a negative which is bizarre and were like do you really pay that much into your pension? Every other place I applied to take it as a positive, as it should be. Nowhere should be taking net anything for limits, just for stress testing for repayments, and they shouldn't be treating voluntary savings the same as having a kid.
                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 30-05-22, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                      The part that scared me was that they recommended 2.5 hours for Dublin.
                                                                      what's different for dublin rather than any other european destination? the only thing that can be an issue are the security queues and they're the same for everyone. to be fair, it's also a good way to get you in early and make you spend in the airport. you'll be through in 45 minutes and end up spending a bit of money

Comment

Quiz Question hotshots: nominate the best airport you've ever been in.

Comment

Koh Samui..open air baggage claim.
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Vegas - gamble while you wait.

Comment

Finland won the world ice hockey last night. The poor statue

Comment

Heathrow terminal 5

Comment

For access and ease of use LCY wins hands down, of the main hubs I'd always choose Schipol when I can

Close run thing at the bottom of the league but Lagos where on a good day you need to leave the hotel 6 hours before the flight to guarantee making the plane and then if you do get a clear run through the traffic and airport you'll have three hours of shitty internet access and inedible food is that extra awful.

Comment

That's just bad.......on a number of levels

Comment

I fucking love Freddo bars!

Is there really such a things as a good airport?

I much prefer being in the airport early rather than rushing last minute or risking having to rush if in any way delayed but unless you are using the airport lounges, they are all pretty vanilla.

Comment

For efficiency\ease through security: Doha, but I rate it low for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I fucking love Freddo bars!
                                                                                          I've never had or even seen a Freddo bar. Had only heard of them before today on UK comedy panel shows, and assumed that was what HH was referencing.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Hitch back on twitter form.
                                                                                            No infrastructure should exist outside Dublin apparently.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                              Also taking both sides of any issue, in the hope of catching some response.

Comment

Remember my mother asking me what fellatio is after watching this bit on the TV, must be 30 years ago. Never had any discussion about it afterwards.

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 30-05-22, 21:41.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

what's different for dublin rather than any other european destination? the only thing that can be an issue are the security queues and they're the same for everyone. to be fair, it's also a good way to get you in early and make you spend in the airport. you'll be through in 45 minutes and end up spending a bit of money
                                                                                                  As in get to Dublin 2.5 hours early for check-in,
                                                                                                  get to Stansted 3 hours early for check-in.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

pretty standard now i would have thought. just grab a priority ticket and you'll be through in 30 minutes.

off to inverness on wednesday from gatwick. will report in also as to how bad these london airports are. thing i'm most worried about is i'm travelling with easyjet who seem to be cancelling flights for fun at the moment
                                                                                                    I see shrap has changed his tone about london airport supremacy and has now adjusted his view towards 'if you are billionaire who can afford fast pass then london is marginally not shite'

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I've never had or even seen a Freddo bar. Had only heard of them before today on UK comedy panel shows, and assumed that was what HH was referencing.
                                                                                                      I think there's some sort of twitter meme about the every increasing cost (and therefore presumed value) of freddo bars.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                        Got a message from Radio Kerry saying would I come on and discuss my perspective. I politely declined and left the establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Also taking both sides of any issue, in the hope of catching some response.
                                                                                                          You seem to consistently view nuance as 'taking both sides' of something. Its grand to have a broad idea, but then agree with other ideas as they arrive that refine your understanding.

Comment

Got a message from Radio Kerry saying would I come on and discuss my perspective. I politely declined and left the establishment.
                                                                                                            Oh man that would go so badly

Comment

I know. The guy, after I said that I had cooled on my overall bright idea, did let on that he was quite disappointed to not be able to sacrifice someone for the general entertainment of the kingdom.

Comment

I'd have downloaded that podcast

Comment

The crime of the century doc is very good
                                                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ive relatives down there if you need an interpreter

Comment

I see shrap has changed his tone about london airport supremacy and has now adjusted his view towards 'if you are billionaire who can afford fast pass then london is marginally not shite'
                                                                                                                      Well you were basing your "London Airports are crap" on Stansted which genuinely is crap and worthy of a fast pass. Luton can be hit and miss, but all the others are grand. Don't think i every mentioned London airport supremacy which you added to your narrative

Comment

I just add fast track to every flight now as a default. Not sure quite how it both isn't available on the Dublin Airport website and is available on Ryanair. But long may the scam continue.

Comment

Teaching a machine learning course at the moment to actuaries in a very well ranked UK business school, so the pressure is on to outperform. Jaysus, it really forces you to up your game. Had no idea how little I knew until I sat down to try to prep the course. But its such a lovely feeling to see your knowledge building up layer by layer, upgrading the brain to Brain2.0.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X