This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
    get the fuck in!!! Allez la Rochelle!!!!!!!!!
    This (blowing the biggest game of the season) is becoming a bit of a habit with Leinster. That's two finals and one semi thrown away now in four years. They're missing a truly nasty hard fucker in the squad.

Happy for La Rochelle they have a compelling story and great fans. And O'Gara winning a HC could be great for Irish rugby too. So everyone's a winner baby. Except my head.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Lester Piggot dead. Have memories of being brought to the old Phoenix Park racecourse specifically to see him ride for another master, Vincent O'Brien. Think it may have been his comeback after jail. Will always remember the hush that fell around the parade ring when this leathery-faced string of a man, a good head taller than the other jocks, walked in clad in the Sangster colours.

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
        Leo fanboys here try and defend this btw. Re TD accepting hospitality from gambling companies
        However, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said he did not see anything wrong with their attendance. “No rules were broken nor any ethical guidelines breached.”
        the “we weren’t lobbied” defence is grim
        Do you want to close down legal gambling or just ban the regulated business having any contact with politicians?

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Lester was an extraordinary character, he was talented, determined and dedicated on a level that few of his contemporaries could even comprehend.

Lots of great memories of him including being at the Curragh when he won the Derby on The Minstrel and much later his final act on Rodrigo Di Triano but the standout moment for me was the night they won the breeders cup mile with Royal Academy shortly after coming out of his enforced retirement.

Comment

Great Jockey , terrible interviewee

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
              Great Jockey , terrible interviewee
              Good enough interview here from when he turned 80
              The racing great, who will be guest of honour at Ascot on Saturday, looks back on the highs and lows of his remarkable career and gives his opinion of the horses of today. He talks to Donald McRae

Not that he says much at all. Brief mention of one of THIS memorable moment.

Comment

A few good Lester anecdotes below, courtesy of the inestimable Jeffrey Bernard:

In fact, the last time I met Lester I told him about a painful scene I witnessed in a betting shop in Soho. An Italian waiter who put a week’s wages on a Piggott-ridden horse which got well and truly beaten had an immediate breakdown. He began screaming as soon as the horses passed the post, Lester’s being third.

“All my life,” he screamed, “I’ve been good to my children and wife. All of them have had the shoes to their feet and the plenty to eat. Now theese bastard Piggott he keel me.” Piggott smiled and said, “Well, these punters are stupid bastards, aren’t they?” Yes, I suppose they are, and I suppose he’s more than a little amused at the way they follow him blindly.
                It’s a great pity that Lester stories are mostly unprintable because of the libel laws and they’ll remain so until the sad day he weighs in for the last time, but I did like his remark when I last spent the day with him at Newmarket. He rode two horses for Henry Cecil, and at the end of the session he beckoned me back into his Mercedes to take me back to town. As we drove past the end of the gallops where they join the Bury Road, I noticed a loose horse. Naively I thought the poor brute might break out onto the road and get injured. I turned to Lester and said, “Look, there’s a loose horse. Don’t you think we ought to stop and catch it?” Lester turned to me, a wicked smile on his face, and said, “No. Never catch a loose horse. You can end up all day holding on to the fucking thing.”
                But I suppose my favourite, and one which sums up Lester’s interest in loot, was the time he rode a horse in a race sponsored by Kosset Carpets. “Listen, Lester,” they said to him, “if you win this race you’ll get the usual fee and percentage, but we’ll also give you one of those cuddly white cats we use in our advertising, if you’d like one. Would you like a cat?” “No,” he said, “I’d rather have a monkey.” (‘Monkey’ means £500 in cockney slang.)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Do you want to close down legal gambling or just ban the regulated business having any contact with politicians?

“regulated business”
                  no I would never advocate banning - if these guys want contact with politicians there’s plenty ways it can be done aside from a tent at a racing festival

what I would advocate is a regulator with teeth (we will see what the new regulator is like but not expecting much given they dragged their arses on it for well over a decade at this stage. Gambling companies need an almighty bitch slap , need to do something to stop honest sports like gaa and soccer turning into horse racing.
                  I think gambling should be banned entirely on amateur sports
                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Dublin Airport, holy fuck!

Looks like you'd need to allow about 6 hours at the moment
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

DAA telling people queuing outside to basically forget about it and rebook flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Lol, wasn't hitch laughing at English airports last week, saying how good they had it in Ireland ?

Comment

I actually think if everyone went back to arriving at regular times it would go much better than everyone arriving early. Such a mess. Being in the same queue as people who aren't flying for hours is only making it build.

Although they probably had loads of no shows this morning, between weather and all the sport it always happens
                          airport, lol

Comment

Why was today so busy at the airport? I'd have understood yesterday with the Leinster/Liverpool games, or any Monday morning, or next Friday with the long weekend, or when schools finish at the end of June.
                            But today seemed a weird day for these problems. (Maybe its another yoof thing that Micknail can explain to me)

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                              Why was today so busy at the airport? I'd have understood yesterday with the Leinster/Liverpool games, or any Monday morning, or next Friday with the long weekend, or when schools finish at the end of June.
                              But today seemed a weird day for these problems. (Maybe its another yoof thing that Micknail can explain to me)
                              Sundays are always busy. Plenty of stags, hens, weekend visitors and business travellers. Although I'd say it was a staff thing, Friday was busier numbers wise
                              airport, lol

Comment

DAA telling people queuing outside to basically forget about it and rebook flights.
                                They were on the radio yesterday saying that people wouldnt be in a Q for more than 30mins "at the start of June". Radio presenter didnt ask for a specific date so what's going to change in the next 3 to 4 days after the custerfuck we have seen up there recently.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

They were on the radio yesterday saying that people wouldnt be in a Q for more than 30mins "at the start of June". Radio presenter didnt ask for a specific date so what's going to change in the next 3 to 4 days after the custerfuck we have seen up there recently.
                                  I wouldn't be confident about the times quotes, but the difference in a few days is the new staff will be trained up
                                  airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                    They gave too many people the day off after having all hands on deck for the last few days.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

I wouldn't be confident about the times quotes, but the difference in a few days is the new staff will be trained up
                                      Yeah, the new staff has been well publicised tbf but going from 5+ hours to 30mins is a bit of a stretch as you allude to. Will take time for staff to settle and get up to speed too.

I asked here the other day about Italy requirements when we saw a good deal on flights and hotel but after talking to herself we didnt bother booking it because of the airport chaos. Will just wait until things settle down before going away again.

I dont envy the new staff and shite they'll have to put up with

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

They gave too many people the day off after having all hands on deck for the last few days.
                                        This isn't true. The problem at the moment is the whole thing is being propped up by non qualified people i.e. new recruits and office taskforce who can only do the unskilled tasks. So if a few fully trained staff call in sick or whatever, it doesn't matter how many taskforce or new recruits you have, you can't open an x-ray with them

airport, lol

Comment

Yeah, the new staff has been well publicised tbf but going from 5+ hours to 30mins is a bit of a stretch as you allude to. Will take time for staff to settle and get up to speed too.

I asked here the other day about Italy requirements when we saw a good deal on flights and hotel but after talking to herself we didnt bother booking it because of the airport chaos. Will just wait until things settle down before going away again.

I dont envy the new staff and shite they'll have to put up with
                                          Head on your holidays mate! It's honestly not that bad unless you get v unlucky, it's still worth the risk and hassle, it will settle down eventually and things will definitely less crazy in a few weeks if that's when you're planning. The media makes a huge deal of everything remember.

Ive flown twice in last 6 weeks and have a combined queuing of less than an hour.
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Head on your holidays mate! It's honestly not that bad unless you get v unlucky, it's still worth the risk and hassle, it will settle down eventually and things will definitely less crazy in a few weeks if that's when you're planning. The media makes a huge deal of everything remember.

Ive flown twice in last 6 weeks and have a combined queuing of less than an hour.
                                            Fair enough and a good point re media coverage. We ended up making plans to spend a few days in Kerry over the BH weekend. And booked Lithuania for September, got a good deal on an apartment for a week and things should surely be calmer by then so we're happy enough to wait

Comment

Fair enough and a good point re media coverage. We ended up making plans to spend a few days in Kerry over the BH weekend. And booked Lithuania for September, got a good deal on an apartment for a week and things should surely be calmer by then so we're happy enough to wait
                                              Are you going to The Europe next weekend bro?

Comment

Has anybody booked tickets for either a Barca or Real Madrid game before or a Serie A match?

Looking to arrange a lads weekend away for Sept/Oct and want/need to have a sporting element to the trip away.

Comment

Are you going to The Europe next weekend bro?
                                                  We are. After deciding not to book a city break in Europe we locked it in. 2 nights, dinner on Saturday night, spa day for herself on Sunday afternoon while I go off for a hike, dinner in another place we've wanted to try where my mate is the executive head chef and down to the Bike Fest on Sunday night with my parents. Really really looking forward to it now.

Comment

We are. After deciding not to book a city break in Europe we locked it in. 2 nights, dinner on Saturday night, spa day for herself on Sunday afternoon while I go off for a hike, dinner in another place we've wanted to try where my mate is the executive head chef and down to the Bike Fest on Sunday night with my parents. Really really looking forward to it now.
                                                    That's class. You're gonna love it.

Comment

Puke football

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                        Has anybody booked tickets for either a Barca or Real Madrid game before or a Serie A match?

Looking to arrange a lads weekend away for Sept/Oct and want/need to have a sporting element to the trip away.
                                                        tickets for barca or real are easy (except when it’s barca v real) you can just buy them on the club website a week or two before the game. Only problem is the price, they really screw the daytrippers here. Expect to pay €70-€85 a ticket to be close to the gods for a nothing game (elche, mallorca etc) and another 25/30 a head for anything approaching an interesting game.

Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Arc de Triomphe imo

Comment

Also worth bearing in mind that match days and times aren't decided until 7 days beforehand, so you likely have to wait until Monday for flight home. Can slightly make educated guesses based on preceeding/following Champions League fixtures.

Comment

The Ronaldo bet paid off - nearly got very tight at the end but he ran out of steam in the final furlong.

Now need to consider what completely frivolous purchase to utilise the Lao Lootz for.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                The Ronaldo bet paid off - nearly got very tight at the end but he ran out of steam in the final furlong.

Now need to consider what completely frivolous purchase to utilise the Lao Lootz for.
                                                                Leinster Eoro final ticket ?

Comment

Lol, wasn't hitch laughing at English airports last week, saying how good they had it in Ireland ?
                                                                  There's way less queues in Dublin Airport compared to the London ones.
                                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's way less queues in Dublin Airport compared to the London ones.
                                                                    Yup 6 hours in Dublin is way less than London

I've been abroad twice in the last 2 months and was through both times in 30 minutes.

Comment

Yup 6 hours in Dublin is way less than London

I've been abroad twice in the last 2 months and was through both times in 30 minutes.
                                                                      Majority of people travelling out of Dublin in the last two months would have experienced the same. There's no media articles about 20 min queues
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Majority of people travelling out of Dublin in the last two months would have experienced the same. There's no media articles about 20 min queues
                                                                        I'm not having a dig at dublin airport. I just found it amusing that no sooner does hitch comment on how terrible London Airports are and how lucky you guys were to have Dublin Airport, which is sooo great, that it turns to absokute shit for a weekend

Comment

I'm not having a dig at dublin airport. I just found it amusing that no sooner does hitch comment on how terrible London Airports are and how lucky you guys were to have Dublin Airport, which is sooo great, that it turns to absokute shit for a weekend
                                                                          haha ah ya, and im not even trying to defend tbh moreso just give a few facts!
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Cowboy Bebop is a enjoyable if somewhat silly watch, but fun nevertheless.
                                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Some of my London delays:
                                                                              1. The 20 minutes wait getting off the train for one single guy to check 500 tickets
                                                                              2. Easily an hour-plus of a queue to get through security albeit that I had booked fastpass
                                                                              3. The best one was that the customs exit gates in Standsted blocked for 30 minutes, leaving nobody able to exit the airport

I suspect an airport can't be wrong in so many ways without queues being the default. Dublin Airport on the other hand is a beautiful airport to pass through normally. Today, and a few days recently, excepting.

Was speaking to someone who has an upcoming 7am flight and his current plan is to arrive at midnight and drink his way through to 7am. A risky little game imo.

Comment

Have a flight to Naples in two weeks, then the day after coming back straight onto a flight to London to show the kids why its not all that, then a flight to London two weeks later to finish off some work, then a flight to Bordeaux straight after coming back for holidays. I'm exhausted just thinking about all that. It's only when I arrive in airports that I remember I'm scared shitless of flying.

Comment

On to more important things. Somehow, this made it on to my spotify list, and we all know the song, but have ye listened to it recently? Every word of it is phenomenal. Give it a listen, on loud, and remind yourself of its glory.

Comment

Have a flight to Naples in two weeks, then the day after coming back straight onto a flight to London to show the kids why its not all that, then a flight to London two weeks later to finish off some work, then a flight to Bordeaux straight after coming back for holidays. I'm exhausted just thinking about all that. It's only when I arrive in airports that I remember I'm scared shitless of flying.
                                                                                    London is all that and so much more. Give me a shout if you have time for a drink at some point.

Comment

The entire context of the Ukraine War has changed a lot in the last month. Russia now seems to be focussed on a more limited land grab in the East and are systemically laying waste to the towns\cities in the way. This seems to favour them much more than the previous failed attack on Kiev as they have an overwhelming superiority in heavy weaponry, which may allow Putin to seize enough land to declare a 'victory' (which of course is actually a strategic defeat of immense proportions).

Very notable how Ukraine is slipping down the news agenda too, which is both tragic and very predictable. Hopefully Biden sends them everything they need.

Comment

Yall do realise there is more than one airport on the Island yeah ?
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

90 mins from arriving at the airport to the other side of security this morning. Felt like I made a bad queue choice at the end, seemed like they were swabbing/searching every bag

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                            sssshhh
                                                                                            Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Still 1k missed their flights Apparently.

Bad again today. T1 the culprit . Dont worry the recession will kick in soon and we'll be back to Butlins Mosney and knobbly knees competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                Still 1k missed their flights Apparently.

Bad again today. T1 the culprit . Dont worry the recession will kick in soon and we'll be back to Butlins Mosney and knobbly knees competitions.
                                                                                                I was listening to the 7am RTE news today. Headlines were all about the mess at the airport and the very first interview was to be 'David Cullinane, Head of Communications for Dublin Airport'. Surely the man to explain all this and reassure the public that it couldn't possibly happen again as the fine management team have everything in hand.

Interviewer introduces him, says 'Morning David'. No response. So he asks his first question anyway. No response. Eventually twigs that there is no-one on the other end of the line and in a tone that screamed FFS says 'we'll take a commercial break'. You couldn't make it up.

Genius move by the guy tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                  Belfast surely an option for many who are in the Dublin orbit anyway. Never flown out of it myself but would assume it's acceptable enough.

Comment

If you have five minutes over a coffee this morning, this account from the frontline near Kyiv is very personal and well-written. Really brings it home at the micro level.

Comment

Belfast surely an option for many who are in the Dublin orbit anyway. Never flown out of it myself but would assume it's acceptable enough.
                                                                                                      A huge amount of Nordies seem to use Dublin Airport, so presumably there's a lack of flights to the desired destinations from Belfast.
                                                                                                      Same with Cork/Shannon etc - easy to say 'theres other airports on the island' but if they limit you to going to the UK and a handful of European destinations then it's not much of an alternative.
                                                                                                      I guess there's a really good financial reason Ryanair have concentrated on Dublin as they've never been shy about regional airports like Hahn or Beauvais if there's a better deal available.

Comment

The entire context of the Ukraine War has changed a lot in the last month. Russia now seems to be focussed on a more limited land grab in the East and are systemically laying waste to the towns\cities in the way. This seems to favour them much more than the previous failed attack on Kiev as they have an overwhelming superiority in heavy weaponry, which may allow Putin to seize enough land to declare a 'victory' (which of course is actually a strategic defeat of immense proportions).

Very notable how Ukraine is slipping down the news agenda too, which is both tragic and very predictable. Hopefully Biden sends them everything they need.
                                                                                                        Yeah, the Russian ambassador said yesterday on the BBC that they'd given up on Kyiv. Though he also said that the videos of Russian soldiers shooting people in the back were probably from a video game or a movie, so it's a bit hard to take him too seriously.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Any of you guy get tickets to the Tedschi Trucks band in the sold out Nov gig in the Helix . If you cant make it. 1st dibs on your tickets ?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Yeah, the Russian ambassador said yesterday on the BBC that they'd given up on Kyiv. Though he also said that the videos of Russian soldiers shooting people in the back were probably from a video game or a movie, so it's a bit hard to take him too seriously.

As we know, every representative of the Russian fascist regime must be judged to be lying every time they open their mouths. This article is interesting in terms of Russia's strategy.

Comment

I was listening to the 7am RTE news today. Headlines were all about the mess at the airport and the very first interview was to be 'David Cullinane, Head of Communications for Dublin Airport'. Surely the man to explain all this and reassure the public that it couldn't possibly happen again as the fine management team have everything in hand.

Interviewer introduces him, says 'Morning David'. No response. So he asks his first question anyway. No response. Eventually twigs that there is no-one on the other end of the line and in a tone that screamed FFS says 'we'll take a commercial break'. You couldn't make it up.

Genius move by the guy tbf.
                                                                                                              He said the main problem was down to an unexpected level of absenteeism on Sunday. Obviously a good number of sorry ass Liverpool fans working there. Either that or Manc fans out celebrating Liverpool's misery.
                                                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

RDIII account hijacked by anti-Russian spam bots?

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It’s seem such an imbalance of our moral outrage that we support and encourage all sanctions on Russia for the atrocities committed and yet last week in the US 19 (?) children were massacred simply going to school. I know we look to countries to try to solve their own domestic problems but surely the global community must in some way formally voice our concerns to the US who have not got their house in order to protect the lives of their children. As part of the global community we should surely condemn the US policy on guns and let it be known the welfare of their children is as much our concern as that of Ukrainian Children. The NRA and sympathisers should be condemned formally and our voices should be added to any anti gun lobby .

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

He said the main problem was down to an unexpected level of absenteeism on Sunday. Obviously a good number of sorry ass Liverpool fans working there. Either that or Manc fans out celebrating Liverpool's misery.
                                                                                                                    The northside is infested with Liverpool fans . They need more diversity when hiring staff . You cant have so many unhinged people working for you.

Comment

Some of my London delays:
                                                                                                                      1. The 20 minutes wait getting off the train for one single guy to check 500 tickets
                                                                                                                      2. Easily an hour-plus of a queue to get through security albeit that I had booked fastpass
                                                                                                                      3. The best one was that the customs exit gates in Standsted blocked for 30 minutes, leaving nobody able to exit the airport

I suspect an airport can't be wrong in so many ways without queues being the default. Dublin Airport on the other hand is a beautiful airport to pass through normally. Today, and a few days recently, excepting.

Was speaking to someone who has an upcoming 7am flight and his current plan is to arrive at midnight and drink his way through to 7am. A risky little game imo.
                                                                                                                      Sounds like you should go to one of the many better london airports! Heathrow, Gatwick and City have never had any delay for me. Use Gatwick the most as most often cheapest and v handy for my final destination in to Victoria.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Sounds like you should go to one of the many better london airports! Heathrow, Gatwick and City have never had any delay for me. Use Gatwick the most as most often cheapest and v handy for my final destination in to Victoria.
                                                                                                                        In fairness, I hadn't realised how awful, and in the middle of nowhere, Stansted was, so have booked Gatwick for all the upcoming flights.

Comment

RIP-Sir Lester Piggott
                                                                                                                          His Funeral is on Wednesday at 20 To 1. Ground expected to be soft

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X