This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    Top Gun was enjoyable. Even if every scene is a reference to the first movie
    Enjoyed it more than I expected to. It's less cheesy and has more action than I thought it would. Would recommend it to anyone on the fence about going.

As always, the worst thing about the cinema is the people. Incapable of staying still or quiet for any amount of time. And kids should be banned from screenings after 8pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I think the last time I sat at a gig was Tony Bennett many years ago. Jesus, it was fucking awful
      I think I see the problem.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

First I've heard of these, I've been buying physical sims like a chump

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
          15k quote to get house rewired. Good\bad\normal?
          We were €10k for a (presumably) much smaller house. Its a lot, but that seems the price. I feel its the best investment we made in the house.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Not sure I mentioned it, but was at Dara O'Briain last Friday and his gig is truly amazing. He's just opened up some new gigs for September, that if you want a great night out its well worth booking. He went through a few shallow years, but the current show is top top top.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Don't understand why it hasn't been put in a cast though. Like surely it buckling could do more damage?
              i've got what's called an aircast, which is essentially a removable cast which i wear if i go out (can't be arsed to wear indoors though). it's a hard shelled boot, with straps, and air pockets which you pump up when your leg is in it and it holds the whole thing in place very tightly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

We were €10k for a (presumably) much smaller house. Its a lot, but that seems the price. I feel its the best investment we made in the house.
                Yeah, a 2 week job apparently but agreed on the spend.

New inset stove goes in today. Kitchen design about to be done too. Things are happening.

I'll be starting painting bedrooms this weekend. About the one DIY task I genuinely enjoy.

Comment

New inset stove goes in today. Kitchen design about to be done too. Things are happening.

I'll be starting painting bedrooms this weekend. About the one DIY task I genuinely enjoy.
                  You went for ColourTrend for the paint? I've never seen people wax lyrically over a fecking paint brand, as much as they do for ColourTrend.

Comment

You went for ColourTrend for the paint? I've never seen people wax lyrically over a fecking paint brand, as much as they do for ColourTrend.
                    No idea. My colour blindness eliminates me from such discussions.

Comment

Been using colourtrend for years, was in pat macdonalds last week and they had a special on "Ralston"...keep away from it, you cant go over your work if you see you missed a bit...it dries so fast it actually removes the paint you applied...a disaster, had to go over the part i pained with a scraper and remove the wet paint, then when it dried sand in the lines to try and feather the edge.

May have been applying it a bit thick, which you can do with the colourtrend, once i put it on sparingly the finish was better, in general with all painting you are better off with 3 light coats than one thick one, which i am sure you are well aware but for our upcoming new homeowners.

An angled edge brush is a game changer, only started using one a few years ago.
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

Finished Night Sky last night, really enjoyed it...dont think it has the best reviews, but 4 wombats all the same from me.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

The real gamechanger is paying someone else to do your painting
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                              Finished Night Sky last night, really enjoyed it...dont think it has the best reviews, but 4 wombats all the same from me.
                              Pretty presumptuous of you to be allocating wombats. An apology in order imo.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                The real gamechanger is paying someone else to do your painting
                                (1) they're in very short supply
                                (2) quote to paint entire house was 13k
                                (3) I quite like doing it, very Zen, a bit like shuffling poker chips

Comment

Colourtrend is fine is you want solid colours, as most do. For feature walls is special finishes, Porter's Paints are the best. No idea how hard that are to DIY.
                                  Dulux is also fine too. I'd say a big factor in people stating random main brands are shite is down to them using the wrong paint. Like wall paint on doors and wondering why they are wrecked.

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                  Been using colourtrend for years, was in pat macdonalds last week and they had a special on "Ralston"...keep away from it, you cant go over your work if you see you missed a bit...it dries so fast it actually removes the paint you applied...a disaster, had to go over the part i pained with a scraper and remove the wet paint, then when it dried sand in the lines to try and feather the edge.
                                  I vaguely remember hearing about Ralston before. I think it was the a similar stay away message.
                                  Google suggest it's only available from Pat McDonalds, not a good sign if he is flogging it on special.

Comment

You need to haggle with those painters like you do on switching day there Duke.

Got our lads down to 5k in the end

Comment

How hard is it to paint walls anyway? would it be very obvious to tell if an amateur painted a wall over a professional?
                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                        How hard is it to paint walls anyway? would it be very obvious to tell if an amateur painted a wall over a professional?
                                        The painter we got in last year said 'if you can piss you can paint'.

Comment

Daughter turned 17 at beginning of May. Going to house party tomorrow night. Wants me to buy drink (750ml bottle of Bacardi) for her. What my play?
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                            Daughter turned 17 at beginning of May. Going to house party tomorrow night. Wants me to buy drink (750ml bottle of Bacardi) for her. What my play?
                                            Buy bottle. Empty half , refill with Water .

Comment

The painters are in. The dreaded words

Comment

Tell her to buy her own booze.

Comment

Buy her a 750ml bottle of Bacardi Breezer.

Comment

Tell her to buy her own booze.
                                                    Not sure about this one. She has a job so money not the issue. I think she will source it either way. Not sure about the bargains she will have to make on this road though.

Comment

Throw in a pack of condoms with it.
                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Buy a naggin?

Comment

Not sure about this one. She has a job so money not the issue. I think she will source it either way. Not sure about the bargains she will have to make on this road though.
                                                          The only bargain will be her having to man up and face getting chucked out of a few off licences.

Of course I'm sure she already has some excellent fake identification.

Comment

The only bargain will be her having to man up and face getting chucked out of a few off licences.

Of course I'm sure she already has some excellent fake identification.
                                                            She will get somebody older to buy it for her. What's in it for them?

Comment

Anyone watch the finale of survivor 42 yet.

SPOILER
                                                              Similar winner to 41 imo,
                                                              Coasts on a strong initial tribe, whereas prob would have been gone early doors otherwise.

Final challenges and fire duo were great.
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

She will get somebody older to buy it for her. What's in it for them?
                                                                Meh, so what.

You at least get to retain some form of parental autonomy.

Comment

Anyone been watching "We Own This City"?

Decent watch, has potential. Can't get over The Wire actors being in different roles though. Throws me for a loop.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Hard one. As you say she will get it from somewhere. I'd be more concerned about the quantity than the actual ask itself. Kids without much experience drinking think they are infallible so i'd hope she doesn't think that's a quantity she should be consuming herself. That much rum probably gets her in ER getting her stomach pumped.

Say no to the spirits but yes to X cans/bottles beer/cider?

Comment

I dont have or want kids so I wont give my opinion on the dos and don'ts of your situation, but I do not envy you!

All I'll say is the last time I bought a 750ml bottle of rum, i did not finish it and passed out on a chair. That was about 3 years ago and luckily I was at a mates gaff so was safe enough, slept it off and trudged home the next day, fucked.

If its having that effect on me, a 17 year old looking for 750ml of rum has hospital or disaster written all over it. Could you tempt her with a few bottle or cans?

Comment

Buy the booze but make it conditional on a dad:daughter convo about not acting the maggot. She's gonna experiment and likely get gunned anyway so it's really not about her as generally the guardrails for a 17 year old in a decent town and with decent parents and schooling are pretty solid so she'll be safe , its more about how you handle that fact.

#notaparent
                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Perfect scenario would have been to have this info last week and sat her down with a bottle each and get her hammered, she wouldent be wanting one again so soon.
                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Ah yeah, just hand it over. I wouldn't make a big deal of it either. It's clearly not her first drinking rodeo if she is already making requests for full bottles of Bacardi.

Comment

Our calendars are literally littered with endless birthday invites. It's genuinely become a pest. There's one weekend in June where between the two of them they have six birthdays or 'farewells' for kids moving abroad in a two day weekend.

Comment

The issue seems to be WhatsApp. That whereas before just the kids group of friends might have the occasional invite, now it's easier to just invite everyone.

Comment

Our calendars are literally littered with endless birthday invites. It's genuinely become a pest. There's one weekend in June where between the two of them they have six birthdays or 'farewells' for kids moving abroad in a two day weekend.
                                                                                  Got 5 today alone

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Hard one. As you say she will get it from somewhere. I'd be more concerned about the quantity than the actual ask itself. Kids without much experience drinking think they are infallible so i'd hope she doesn't think that's a quantity she should be consuming herself. That much rum probably gets her in ER getting her stomach pumped.

Say no to the spirits but yes to X cans/bottles beer/cider?
                                                                                    Jeez am I naïve, I would have thought he meant Bacardi breezer, the alcopop stuff
                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Jeez am I naïve, I would have thought he meant Bacardi breezer, the alcopop stuff
                                                                                      Maybe that's what it is. Would make some sense as the spirit comes in 700ml bottles, not 750 i believe.

If so, that's probably grand IMO.

Comment

Was down with a customer in Castlebar today, he sells nothing but high end. People spending €10k plus on blinds and curtains, houses with swimming pools. He's flat out with work.

There's an enormous amount of wealth in Mayo. Can anyone explain that?
                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

A Dublin based customer of mine did a job in Galway last year, a house, blinds, curtains and carpets and the job was worth €250k.

Bananas stuff.

Comment

Bad week for music deaths . Andy Fletcher now.

Although he was often called the Andrew Rigley of the band. Bit unfair imo
                                                                                            Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-05-22, 20:29.

Comment

Ray Liotta today too, anyone have him in the Deadpool?
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                Ray Liotta today too, anyone have him in the Deadpool?
                                                                                                The best movie Narration ever .

Comment

That’s the hardest part. Today, everything is different. There’s no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. I can’t even get decent food. Right after I got here, I ordered some spaghetti with marinara sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup. I’m an average nobody. I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook.”

Comment

Must be the alcopop stuff. 750ml of 40% run would get most of us upside down. Would be a starter for Dice

Honestly shudder remembering the 700ml tesco vodka in college for 12e. Going around house parties with a pint glass 1/3rd full with 2/3 Fanta.
                                                                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Better call Saul

SPOILER
                                                                                                      Fuck me, that closing scene. Some stitch up on Howard, really felt for the poor bastard.

Comment

I made a pasta dish tonight, nothing special. Spaghetti with sliced beef. But the sauce was class. Olives, garlic, oregano, capers, and tomato sauce simmered down. It's the capers that got me - man they have such a great flavour. To my shame, I'd put off making the dish before because of confusing capers with anchovies. I feel I'll be putting capers in everything from now on.

Comment

I made a pasta dish tonight, nothing special. Spaghetti with sliced beef. But the sauce was class. Olives, garlic, oregano, capers, and tomato sauce simmered down. It's the capers that got me - man they have such a great flavour. To my shame, I'd put off making the dish before because of confusing capers with anchovies. I feel I'll be putting capers in everything from now on.
                                                                                                          capers are really good in potato cakes also !

Comment

OK. Going for a small naggin or a few cans of While Claw or something like that. Strictly a moderate amount for here own consumption. Had a good chat about how getting 'wasted' or 'fucked up' is far from cool and that the smart people mange their alcohol consumption in a way that it contributes to the fun. Also that if she comes home clearly inebriated there won't be any more partying for the rest of the summer. Fingers crossed.

Comment

ropa vieja is what you're looking for
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Unless it's for a few of them like shared...absolutly not...

Mia turned 17 in April drinks orchards thieves. She had a party Wed night after putting on a brilliant show in the local theatre, transition yr musical with all her friends.

She says to me that day will you get me some orchard thieves please.so I was rushing about a busy day and just grabbed a box with 8 cans in it. Chanel was home from Galway and was like omg can't believe you got her 8 cans that's discraceful bla bla

I says shur ffs she prob won't drink them all etc following morning Mia gets up and I says well what did you drink she opens bag 5 cans left...3 cans why

Now chanel told ya I go lol

Ah I genuinely wouldn't be comfortable with buying her a big bottle of spirits her poor young liver jaysus

Heres a snippet of show..proud mama as she missed the crucial practice as we were away for two weeks so she had three days rehearsals when back

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

When we went on hols, we went out maybe 8 nights together just the two of us.id get her glasses of cider and on two occasions she was given a pint so I took off saying to her it wasn't right a girl drinking pints and if I drank three pints I get very drink she of course argued surely it's better value getting the pint while I'm going no you drink that as quick as a glass no waiting time in between glasses if you get me.

So then we got on to the subject of shots I got us strawberry yokes 15% alcohol while explaining they were grand as were baby guinesses..but I said sambuca tequila etc were lethal and nothing good ever came out of them and to just trust my advice and tbf to her she was listening.

She didn't get drunk at any point and deffo would have had on average 7 to 9 glasses ( I'm thinking not her first rodeo either lol) I just wanted to kinda teach her what's best for her

We had a great bonding few nights out

I know all this advice is fucking rich coming from me but I'm sure ye get me
                                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

OK. Going for a small naggin or a few cans of While Claw or something like that. Strictly a moderate amount for here own consumption. Had a good chat about how getting 'wasted' or 'fucked up' is far from cool and that the smart people mange their alcohol consumption in a way that it contributes to the fun. Also that if she comes home clearly inebriated there won't be any more partying for the rest of the summer. Fingers crossed.
                                                                                                                    Also told Mia if she comes in to this house pissed she won't be going out again..seems like you had a similar convo to what I had.

Ah shur this is the start of it all now
                                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Sat Nav ya really are blessed with Mia.
                                                                                                                      Not that ya aren’t blessed with Chanel.
                                                                                                                      but you really are blessed with Mia.

Comment

I dont remember this part at all.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

Unless it's for a few of them like shared...absolutly not...

Mia turned 17 in April drinks orchards thieves. She had a party Wed night after putting on a brilliant show in the local theatre, transition yr musical with all her friends.

She says to me that day will you get me some orchard thieves please.so I was rushing about a busy day and just grabbed a box with 8 cans in it. Chanel was home from Galway and was like omg can't believe you got her 8 cans that's discraceful bla bla

I says shur ffs she prob won't drink them all etc following morning Mia gets up and I says well what did you drink she opens bag 5 cans left...3 cans why

Now chanel told ya I go lol

Ah I genuinely wouldn't be comfortable with buying her a big bottle of spirits her poor young liver jaysus

Heres a snippet of show..proud mama as she missed the crucial practice as we were away for two weeks so she had three days rehearsals when back

Are you sure Mia is definitely yours?

Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X