Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone got a good article on the Terra Luna story?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
      Anyone got a good article on the Terra Luna story?
      Listen to this episode from Odd Lots on Spotify. The collapse of the Terra ecosystem, and the tokens Luna and UST, will go down as one of the most painful and devastating chapters in crypto history. Over $60 billion market value has evaporated, and numerous retail investors are nursing major losses. What's particularly bad is that this was a big project, championed by some of the most notable names in crypto. But some people obviously saw it coming, and understood it to be a disaster in the making. On this episode we speak with Kevin Zhou, the founder of the crypto hedge fund Galois Capital. He began warning about Terra publicly earlier this year, and was short Luna starting in early May. He explains the exact mechanics of the coin's implosion. See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.

This is excellent

Comment

2 new bathrooms done (at last, hadn't realised how big a job that actually is) and downstairs reconfig underway. New inset stove comes next week.

Just the kitchen, rewiring and retrofit to go of the big tcket items now...

Still 50\50 on whether we'll be the first ones to enjoy these new amenities!
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

hows the dublin airport queues, did they clear up? Heading off tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
            went through twice in last 3 weeks, busy but moving. Through in ~25 mins and that was peak times in the am.

Comment

I know I've ben saying Russia is a fascist state for a while now but one of the world's leading historians on fascism just said it far more eloquently that I ever could.

today’s Russia meets most of the criteria that scholars tend to apply. It has a cult around a single leader, Vladimir Putin. It has a cult of the dead, organized around World War II. It has a myth of a past golden age of imperial greatness, to be restored by a war of healing violence — the murderous war on Ukraine.

Comment

Was on the front lines yesterday, was v bad. Tuesday the same. Not sure about today but I'd expect to be queuing for a while
                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Was on the front lines yesterday, was v bad. Tuesday the same. Not sure about today but I'd expect to be queuing for a while
                  What is the evening like? I don't think I have ever flown out of an evening, but I have a 19:30 flight on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What is the evening like? I don't think I have ever flown out of an evening, but I have a 19:30 flight on Monday.
                    It was the evening time yesterday and Tuesday that was bad. Midday ish to early afternoon appears to be the only real lull
                    airport, lol

Comment

Any sign of the new scanners that you don’t need to take liquids out of your bag coming to Dublin.

That will be a serious time saver.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                        33 unique runners & 20 re-entries,
                        our hero accounted for seven of 'em gone now so watch out cash tables.
                        These high roller boyos play
                        to a different strategy to be sure.
                        That absolute gent Will Kassouf
                        is still there approaching final table.
                        Seems our hero took two bullets today. Wonder if he will take the full 4 bullets tomorrow
                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Any sign of the new scanners that you don’t need to take liquids out of your bag coming to Dublin.

That will be a serious time saver.
                          It's in the plans alright but not sure when
                          airport, lol

Comment

Ah I'm at 11.20am so will come around 9 and be sitting at my gate at half 9.
                            What's the craic with removing the silly 100ml liquid limit? Heard it did in Shannon. Not that I care too much, I am just a mule for feminine liquids. Though if I could bring a bottle of gin or whiskey it's a big deal. Will it be some sort of weird thing where some airports have the limits and some don't so you could bring them but not bring them back?

Comment

Stalked 'im on a cash table at 7pm.
                              Loitered for over an hour until a seat opened
                              Jumped in, handed dealer my cash,
                              stacked up my chips and looked over to see him leave and jump into a side event.

Are bad best stories still
                              against the terms & conditions on this site?

Comment

I was recently reading Victor Chandler's biography and Jeffrey Bernard (dissolute punter, writer and Soho boho) was mentioned a number of times (usually with much hilarity).

I remember reading about Bernard as a teen probably due to the well received play 'Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell' by Keith Waterhouse.

So I ordered his book 'Talking Horses' off Amazon (second hand) which is a collection of his reminiscences of drinking, gambling, and generally being a bit of a louche wastrel.

He was friends with those other legendary punters Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud as well as many other famous and infamous types of a London now largely gone.

Highly recommended for those of you with a bent for a bet, a beverage or three, and a literary telling of tall and not so tall tales - I know there a few on here who would enjoy it immensely. And it's beautifully illustrated throughout with pencil drawings of various improbable scenarios.

From an IT article on him.. "In total he wrote more than 1,000 columns (for The Spectator). His themes were drink, horse-racing, drink, moaning about a lack of money, drink, and moaning about women; he had four wives, so there was no shortage of material. As long ago as 1965 he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was given only a few years to live. But he confounded doctors and friends by drinking heavily and chain-smoking for the next 25 years. In a reflective article on his alcoholism he wrote: "If I had all the money I've spent on drink - I'd spend it all on drink."

Bonus Brag: My 8 quid copy came signed by the man himself, much to my surprise, as the seller never mentioned it.
                                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 19-05-22, 21:21.

Comment

That's a very nice score Benny.

Jonathan Meades called the Spectator column 'A suicide note in installments' !

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 19-05-22, 22:13.
                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The Octopus Jig.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      That's a very nice score Benny.

Jonathan Meades called the Spectator column 'A suicide note in installments' !

Nice one SP. I actually think I saw that doc at the time. I would have watched anything under the 'Arena' umbrella usually back then. Deffo gonna watch again now. Thanks.

As a collector I am thrilled to get a signed copy accidentally. The signature checks out and judging by other first edition prices is worth several multiples of what I paid for it.

Sadly all that means is I'll never loan it out or give it away which I often do with books (like yourself).

It's proper LOL HILARIOUS... EG. when he lived in the countryside (for reasons unexplained but possibly after one of his many divorces) he used to send a postcard to himself everyday so when the postman would have to deliver it he would get a lift into the village so he could go to the pub.

The fact that he once puked on the Queen Mother's shoes while on the sesh is reason enough to what to know more.

Interestingly the art of the 'diarist' these days seems largely to have been relegated to blogging I suspect - anyone know any GOOD diarists in this day and age? Maybe its an art form that's dead and buried?

Or has now been subsumed into podcasting.

But there's something oh so pure about the format when its as raw, literary and romantic as Bernard's.
                                      Last edited by BennyHiFi; 19-05-22, 23:14.

Comment

Avoid 'Conversations With Friends' at all costs. You have been warned.

5 universes' of anti-matter Wombats
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                          I was recently reading Victor Chandler's biography and Jeffrey Bernard (dissolute punter, writer and Soho boho) was mentioned a number of times (usually with much hilarity).

I remember reading about Bernard as a teen probably due to the well received play 'Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell' by Keith Waterhouse.

So I ordered his book 'Talking Horses' off Amazon (second hand) which is a collection of his reminiscences of drinking, gambling, and generally being a bit of a louche wastrel.

He was friends with those other legendary punters Francis Bacon and Lucien Freud as well as many other famous and infamous types of a London now largely gone.

Highly recommended for those of you with a bent for a bet, a beverage or three, and a literary telling of tall and not so tall tales - I know there a few on here who would enjoy it immensely. And it's beautifully illustrated throughout with pencil drawings of various improbable scenarios.

From an IT article on him.. "In total he wrote more than 1,000 columns (for The Spectator). His themes were drink, horse-racing, drink, moaning about a lack of money, drink, and moaning about women; he had four wives, so there was no shortage of material. As long ago as 1965 he was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was given only a few years to live. But he confounded doctors and friends by drinking heavily and chain-smoking for the next 25 years. In a reflective article on his alcoholism he wrote: "If I had all the money I've spent on drink - I'd spend it all on drink."

Bonus Brag: My 8 quid copy came signed by the man himself, much to my surprise, as the seller never mentioned it.
                                          Can't remember which Sunday paper carried his column but my father used to buy it for that alone. Think he was a good buddy of Peter O'Toole as well.

Must look it up, ty.

Comment

My bests friends transgender. Went from a man into a woman. I think its very brave of her. Taking a pay cut like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Can't remember which Sunday paper carried his column but my father used to buy it for that alone. Think he was a good buddy of Peter O'Toole as well.

Must look it up, ty.
                                              Yes O'Toole was very much part of that Soho set as well and was the first person to play Bernard in the play. He called Waterhouse and cursed him for altering his life cos he had planned to take a year off and that was dashed when he read the script and immediately knew he had to play Bernard.

I want to say it was The Observer cos I'm sure I remember reading him on Sundays too (I definitely never bought The Spectator so it was definitely a Sunday paper) but a quick internet search not throwing too much up.

Comment

An IT question that I'm sure some of you guys can help with.

We sell a WiFi bridge for automating blinds.

I've come across a problem with two seperate customers.

The bridge keeps intermittently disconnecting from the server. It can be controlled locally while disconnected, it will send commands to the blinds etc, but you can't make any changes on the app.

The engineer at our suppliers told me the ports the bridge uses to connect to the server.

Is it possible for another device in the house to be using that same port and disrupting things?

Can I make changes in the router's settings to fix? Can I find all devices using the port for instance, and assign a different one to the offender?
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Yes O'Toole was very much part of that Soho set as well and was the first person to play Bernard in the play. He called Waterhouse and cursed him for altering his life cos he had planned to take a year off and that was dashed when he read the script and immediately knew he had to play Bernard.

I want to say it was The Observer cos I'm sure I remember reading him on Sundays too (I definitely never bought The Spectator so it was definitely a Sunday paper) but a quick internet search not throwing too much up.
                                                  I think it was an Irish paper that you and RD3 read it in, probably the Sunday Independent. Think they just sub-licensed/republished the Spectator articles a few days later.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                    Avoid 'Conversations With Friends' at all costs. You have been warned.

5 universes' of anti-matter Wombats
                                                    Read the book and while I thought it was brilliantly written the thought of spending another moment with the crowd of narcissistic creeps that populated it is not very inviting at all.

Comment

No delays at all in securityband a bottle of 50 euro gin for 28 to boot, ty brexit.

Comment

"A bit of a louche wastrel" is such a delightful way to describe someone, 10/10

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Seems our hero took two bullets today. Wonder if he will take the full 4 bullets tomorrow
                                                          Spotted in the field.
                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Nice to see the UKIPT back on home soil but unfortunately the numbers have been here for it. 80 runners for Day 1a and currently 39 for Day 1b with a turbo flight scheduled for later this evening.

Comment

I recently discovered Claire Keegan when someone recommended her latest novella Small things like these which I thought was the best Irish writing I've read since John McGahern and as a writer she has a lot in common with him not least a pared back writing style that packs a lot into very few words. I've been working my way through what little she has written and one of the highlights so far was a short story called 'Foster' which I believe is on the leaving cert syllabus.

I saw then that the film 'An Cailín Cúin' that was released last week to universally rave reviews was an adaptation of Foster. I went to it last night and granted that I'm definitely the prime target audience in terms of the nostalgia (She sets her writing in the mid eighties but as an imaginative creation its a peculiar mix of elements ranging from the late 60's to early eighties) and maybe I was influenced by having read the story recently but this was one of the best 'little' films I've ever seen. Phenomenal performances, beautifully shot and paced hardly a false note anywhere* Highly recommended.

* there was one slight thing near the end that would probably only bother a freak show like me
                                                              SPOILER
                                                              The Cuckoo leaves by early July and would never be heard at the end of the films setting in late August

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                Nice to see the UKIPT back on home soil but unfortunately the numbers have been here for it. 80 runners for Day 1a and currently 39 for Day 1b with a turbo flight scheduled for later this evening.
                                                                Poor timing for it. Only a couple of weeks after the Irish open and a week after the deepstack/acop.

Also lack of live satts. They had 1 last weekend and I think 2 this week whereas you couldnt move for seeing an Irish open satt somewhere. Schedule wouldnt tempt a rec player like myself out to play any tourney so a bit of work required to improve the "festival" as a whole if they want bigger numbers

Comment

Obviously the lack of them booking very reasonably priced advertising on IPB is what has caused the damage here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

The bridge keeps intermittently disconnecting from the server. It can be controlled locally while disconnected, it will send commands to the blinds etc, but you can't make any changes on the app.

The engineer at our suppliers told me the ports the bridge uses to connect to the server.

Is it possible for another device in the house to be using that same port and disrupting things?

Can I make changes in the router's settings to fix? Can I find all devices using the port for instance, and assign a different one to the offender?
                                                                    Somebody who actually involved with IT/Networking might be able to give you a proper answer. But until they come along.

I think ports are assign randomly, but some devices also have set ports they want to use. Other devices could potentially take that spot.
                                                                    I had a similar issue with a wifi appliance (washing machine fwiw) that would lose connection. The solution was to go to the router settings, via its IP address, and assign the required port to only and always be applied to the IP of the device. since then no issues.

Comment

Everything everywhere at once was everything I was expecting it to be. I thought it would be an interesting premise but the execution wouldn't be for me.

​​​​

Comment

UKIPT very poor schedule for the casual player imo. Might go out for a few hands of cash tonight tho.
                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Offer 2 contains part ownership of a new venture.
                                                                          It's potentially a less stable but more interesting role than offer one.

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

You wont go broke. Do the new venture . Be brave , yer a long time deadparrot.
                                                                          I think this is where I'm going to go.
                                                                          As long as the employment market for IT doesn't collapse in the next 12-18 months, this is a flyer to nothing.

If it bombs, I can go elsewhere pretty quickly but if it doesn't , this time next year Rodney....
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Somebody who actually involved with IT/Networking might be able to give you a proper answer. But until they come along.

I think ports are assign randomly, but some devices also have set ports they want to use. Other devices could potentially take that spot.
                                                                            I had a similar issue with a wifi appliance (washing machine fwiw) that would lose connection. The solution was to go to the router settings, via its IP address, and assign the required port to only and always be applied to the IP of the device. since then no issues.
                                                                            Cheers Mellor, I'll have a go at that.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                              UKIPT very poor schedule for the casual player imo. Might go out for a few hands of cash tonight tho.
                                                                              Just FYI the lads have added their regular tourneys to the schedule as they have room with the smaller UKIPT numbers -

Fri - €60 @ 7pm
                                                                              Sat - €120 @ 6pm

I see their €80 game last night picked up 121 runners

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Just FYI the lads have added their regular tourneys to the schedule as they have room with the smaller UKIPT numbers -

Fri - €60 @ 7pm
                                                                                Sat - €120 @ 6pm

I see their €80 game last night picked up 121 runners
                                                                                Was just coming in to post that. Was talking to a somebody I use to go to school with last night and she said she didn't even realise the UKIPT was running as she was just popping in to play Nick & Brian's game.

Comment

Was just coming in to post that. Was talking to a somebody I use to go to school with last night and she said she didn't even realise the UKIPT was running as she was just popping in to play Nick & Brian's game.
                                                                                  UKIPT is a far cry from previous incarnation with 150+ seats out online and 500+ players, online Stars reporting and TV table with series on C4 etc etc

Very badly advertised even just as a starting point this time around.

Comment

2023 challenge and champions cup final in Dublin this time next year. just got my tix for both. See ya there!!!

Comment

UKIPT is a far cry from previous incarnation with 150+ seats out online and 500+ players, online Stars reporting and TV table with series on C4 etc etc

Very badly advertised even just as a starting point this time around.
                                                                                      Location i feel is also a huge drawback
                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

I think you are looking at it the wrong way around.
                                                                                        My assumption here is that these are all "standard" home broadband connections meaning they are assigned a dynamic public IP and the connection resets with the ISP every X hours (24-72 roughly).
                                                                                        Once connection is reestablished all the linked devices reconect and reassign internal addresses and ports out, what you need to do (i think) is to assign a port to the blinds bridge using port mapping on the ISP's router.
                                                                                        It's a fairly easy task. (e.g for VF router log in,
                                                                                        look at the existing connections and find your device, rename the connection to something easily identified.
                                                                                        go to advanced, setting, LAN settings, DCHP resversations and create an entry for your device (this will ensure it always as the same internal ip)
                                                                                        then under internet, port mapping, assign it a port.)
                                                                                        What this will do is whenever the connection resets or the router is restarted the blinds bridge will ALWAYS have the same internal address and port.

I'm pretty sure that should solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                          2023 challenge and champions cup final in Dublin this time next year. just got my tix for both. See ya there!!!
                                                                                          Not for me, but someone I know is interested in this. How did you get the tickets? Are they on sale or you get advance sale through a club or something?

Comment

No delays at all in securityband a bottle of 50 euro gin for 28 to boot, ty brexit.
                                                                                            For future travellers

Comment

I see yer man had dusted off 3 bullets already in 37 minutes today in the Main Event and counting.....

Comment

I see yer man had dusted off 3 bullets already in 37 minutes today in the Main Event and counting.....
                                                                                                Nearly needs to win the ME to breakeven a this stage I'd say.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Not for me, but someone I know is interested in this. How did you get the tickets? Are they on sale or you get advance sale through a club or something?
                                                                                                  my mate gets advanced sale tix every year, but tbh they're never hard to get once they go on general sale. the combo tix are great though. same seat for both matches.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

my mate gets advanced sale tix every year, but tbh they're never hard to get once they go on general sale. the combo tix are great though. same seat for both matches.
                                                                                                    Just means you sit beside the same wanker twice

Comment

Elon is really fighting on all fronts at the moment, I fear he may spin completely out of control. Outright hostility against the democrats can't be a good strategy for him, I'm pretty sure democrats buy more EVs than republicans. Also Twitter, sexual assault allegations, Tesla stock cratering...it's a lot going on.

Denny are you still short?

Comment

Just means you sit beside the same wanker twice
                                                                                                        There is no way he's bringing you!

Comment

Not sure what help that is really. Firstly that data isn't too accurate. Secondly when do you check it? Before you go to the airport?

Theres so many different things causing the queues that checking it this Tuesday won't tell you what the queue time is next Tuesday
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Not sure what help that is really. Firstly that data isn't too accurate. Secondly when do you check it? Before you go to the airport?

Theres so many different things causing the queues that checking it this Tuesday won't tell you what the queue time is next Tuesday

Comment

Are they trying to pin spread of the monkeypox on the gays now ?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Poor timing for it. Only a couple of weeks after the Irish open and a week after the deepstack/acop.

Also lack of live satts. They had 1 last weekend and I think 2 this week whereas you couldnt move for seeing an Irish open satt somewhere. Schedule wouldnt tempt a rec player like myself out to play any tourney so a bit of work required to improve the "festival" as a whole if they want bigger numbers
                                                                                                                Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Obviously, the lack of them booking very reasonably priced advertising on IPB is what has caused the damage here.
                                                                                                                Joking aside though where do you follow these days to get an idea of upcoming live poker events in Ireland? There seems to be quite a few events/festivals but not one place that advertises them a decent bit in advance of them happening? Most of the time the first I hear of a festival is someone posting an update in this thread and by that stage, it is far too late to make any plans to play where as I would probably jump in the odd event if I could organize it well in advance. The forums here around all this stuff seem completely dead?

Comment

I think you are looking at it the wrong way around.
                                                                                                                  My assumption here is that these are all "standard" home broadband connections meaning they are assigned a dynamic public IP and the connection resets with the ISP every X hours (24-72 roughly).
                                                                                                                  Once connection is reestablished all the linked devices reconect and reassign internal addresses and ports out, what you need to do (i think) is to assign a port to the blinds bridge using port mapping on the ISP's router.
                                                                                                                  It's a fairly easy task. (e.g for VF router log in,
                                                                                                                  look at the existing connections and find your device, rename the connection to something easily identified.
                                                                                                                  go to advanced, setting, LAN settings, DCHP resversations and create an entry for your device (this will ensure it always as the same internal ip)
                                                                                                                  then under internet, port mapping, assign it a port.)
                                                                                                                  What this will do is whenever the connection resets or the router is restarted the blinds bridge will ALWAYS have the same internal address and port.

I'm pretty sure that should solve the problem.
                                                                                                                  Cheers my man. I'll have a go of that.

Comment

Norweigan Wood for Murakami intro imo.

My 15 y/o daughter started reading him recently, without me being aware. She was looking for me to buy her Kafka on The Shore and was astonished to find I had a shelf full of him. Think I became a cool dad for about 9 seconds.
                                                                                                                    Just making sure you know there's a fair bit of ridin in Wind Up Bird Chronicle

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                      Are they trying to pin spread of the monkeypox on the gays now ?
                                                                                                                      I'd be more worried about the hepatitis in children.
                                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Surely largely due to the venue being the biggest kip on the planet.

Comment

That small percentage of Musk fanbois with rudimentary cop on must be drowning in cringe about now.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X