This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

The Brits aren't feeling the good vibes so.

If there is one message from the Bank of England's forecasts today, it is this: if things feel tough today, then just wait.

By the end of this year they will feel much, much tougher.

That is a deeply unpalatable message - the kind of message for which economics has earned its nickname as the "dismal science". But there is no point in ignoring this.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Could you FIL get into trouble trying to "extract" him?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Eh?

I don't see how one can see that to be the case.

Teams generally win more league titles over a period than Champions League titles. While (and it's becoming more prevalent) top teams don't qualify for every edition of the latter, they qualify for the vast majority.

City - 5 leagues in the last 10 years or so - 0 Champions leagues.
        Chelsea - 5 leagues in the last 10 years or so - 2 Champions leagues.
        Man Utd - 13 leagues in the last 30 years or so - 2 Champions leagues
        Barcelona - 10 leagues in the last 15 years or so - 4 Champions leagues

I could go on. There are very few caveats to that i'd say.
        It’s just basic statistics. Each year there is 1 CL champion between a cohort teams that competed for 4+ league titles. It’s must be more difficult to win the CL.

Comment

Could you FIL get into trouble trying to "extract" him?
          Nah. There has been no announcements made yet so no possible trouble, hence why they are going before May 9th, when there might be an announcement, or soon after. Actually, the reason they are going is that the official line is that there will be no general military call up on May 9th. The FIL, being a suspicious kind, focused in on how they emphasised no general military call up on May 9th rather than a general dismissal that there would be a military call up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Well, with the exception of Iceland, Greenland, and Santaclausland, everything is south from here.
            Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark,
            there's even Scotland ffs.

University lecturers ftw!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark,
              there's even Scotland ffs.

University professors ftw!!!

I'll let you in on a secret - Santaclausland doesn't even exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                And markets are up.

Comment

fear and greed.jpg4
                  bloodbath !
                  Attached Files

Comment

I'll let you in on a secret - Santaclausland doesn't even exist.
                    WHAT

My teacher was wrong?

Comment

Looks like hitch has finally realised Stephen Pinker is a total fraud
                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Depp finished again hopefully- hard to come back from raping your wife with a liquor bottle though plenty prob willing to look the other way. got cornered in a bar recently where I was the only one in a group of 10 who reckoned he’s a scumbag- everyone else on the poor Johnny she’s mental camp.
                        lad thinks he’s Oscar Wilde with the quips but he’s just a fking shell of a degen
                        everytime I see him it reminds me of the time I wasted reading Hunter S Thomson’s garbage
                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Just watched licorice pizza....that could be a serious contender for one of the best films i have ever seen, reminded me of pulp Fiction in the randomness, and a great soundtrack, outstanding.
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Eh?

I don't see how one can see that to be the case.

Teams generally win more league titles over a period than Champions League titles. While (and it's becoming more prevalent) top teams don't qualify for every edition of the latter, they qualify for the vast majority.

City - 5 leagues in the last 10 years or so - 0 Champions leagues.
                            Chelsea - 5 leagues in the last 10 years or so - 2 Champions leagues.
                            Man Utd - 13 leagues in the last 30 years or so - 2 Champions leagues
                            Barcelona - 10 leagues in the last 15 years or so - 4 Champions leagues

I could go on. There are very few caveats to that i'd say.
                            Big huge wide variables there without considering everything else.

Your argument of teams win league titles then the champions league is kind of null and void when the qualification for the good teams is winning their league. How many of them did the double?

Fuck all.

Its knockout football where 7 good games can win it. A league needs 30+ good games. Granted its easier in certain leagues at certain times but tell me this, how many teams walked their league and doubled it up with a CL?

When you work that out you can apologise.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                              Depp finished again hopefully- hard to come back from raping your wife with a liquor bottle though plenty prob willing to look the other way. got cornered in a bar recently where I was the only one in a group of 10 who reckoned he’s a scumbag- everyone else on the poor Johnny she’s mental camp.
                              lad thinks he’s Oscar Wilde with the quips but he’s just a fking shell of a degen
                              everytime I see him it reminds me of the time I wasted reading Hunter S Thomson’s garbage
                              How'd the cornering go?

Where was the bar?

Why bullshit?

Stick to the rugby stuff. That's funny. You're one more normal event you take personally from becoming an anti Vax the lizards live down below fool.

Comment

Depp finished again hopefully- hard to come back from raping your wife with a liquor bottle though plenty prob willing to look the other way.
                                I haven’t been following the trial at all, other than the glimpses I bumped into online.
                                But was there actually evidence of the above submitted? Other than she said/he said. Rape is about as serious a allegation as it gets.

He’s obvious got a substance abuse issue. She’s also playing a lot of games too. Who knows where the truth lies.

Not sure the Hunter S will get much traction here, vaguely remember it being a BBV icon/meme. But hardly Depp’s fault.

​​​​​​​

Comment

Leave Steven Pinker alone!!!
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

2 hours to kill in town, any good spots for brekkie?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                      2 hours to kill in town, any good spots for brekkie?
                                      Depends where you are in town.

Beanhive do a good brekkie but it's a little cramped for a man of your dimensions
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I have close to zero interest in it but its impossible to avoid.

My take is that they both come out of it looking terrible.

And both are probably ‘finished’ also.

Was it a cognitive choice on their part to air their grievances so publicly? I don’t get why you would unless thats the way its done in ‘Merica.

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

Big huge wide variables there without considering everything else.

Your argument of teams win league titles then the champions league is kind of null and void when the qualification for the good teams is winning their league. How many of them did the double?

Fuck all.

Its knockout football where 7 good games can win it. A league needs 30+ good games. Granted its easier in certain leagues at certain times but tell me this, how many teams walked their league and doubled it up with a CL?

When you work that out you can apologise.
                                          I think Mellor explained it far better than i did.

Also, what ‘good’ teams *needed to win their league to qualify? All the top leagues have multiple qualification spots.

Comment

I have close to zero interest in it but its impossible to avoid.

My take is that they both come out of it looking terrible.

And both are probably ‘finished’ also.

Was it a cognitive choice on their part to air their grievances so publicly? I don’t get why you would unless thats the way its done in ‘Merica.
                                            It seems to be an honour thing for Depp. That its not about getting work again, or money obv, as there's no money to be made only lost, but rather that he felt he couldn't let it stand. I guess Heard didn't think he would go this extreme?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              I haven’t been following the trial at all, other than the glimpses I bumped into online.
                                              But was there actually evidence of the above submitted? Other than she said/he said. Rape is about as serious a allegation as it gets.

He’s obvious got a substance abuse issue. She’s also playing a lot of games too. Who knows where the truth lies.

Not sure the Hunter S will get much traction here, vaguely remember it being a BBV icon/meme. But hardly Depp’s fault.
                                              They are both telling the truth about anything negative about the other person and lying about anything positive about themselves would be my bet.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

They are both telling the truth about anything negative about the other person and lying about anything positive about themselves would be my bet.
                                                that’s about it I’d say- completely unavoidable news story though- just think it’s nuts how skewed public option seems to be in favour of depp

Comment

Depp will go on to make movies , guilty or not. Enough oeople like him. Never heard of the girl before now. Tomorrows chip paper as they say. All i want is some entertainment frim it . Anyone got a link or two to the highlights ? Apparently some comedic performance by the legal team of AH .

Comment

Originally posted by CHDad View Post

How'd the cornering go?

Where was the bar?

Why bullshit?

Stick to the rugby stuff. That's funny. You're one more normal event you take personally from becoming an anti Vax the lizards live down below fool.
                                                    It went someone bought up one of the main headline stories of the week and I offered up my option that everyone else vehemently disagreed with.
                                                    No great investment in it but I’m genuinely surprised at the affection that seems to be out there for Depp, he’s a gowl

Comment

That would mean he was violent. She was violent. A bucket load of goading, secret cameras etc.
                                                      That much is absolutely likely.

The allegations of rape and being in fear for their life are a step up imo. I struggle to understand how somebody stays there a single day past that. And I’m well aware of batter wife syndrome is real phenomenon. But we talking about a reasonably independent millionaire. Not a trapped housewife with nothing to their name.

both losing everything seems the net effect

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                        Depp will go on to make movies , guilty or not. Enough oeople like him. Never heard of the girl before now. Tomorrows chip paper as they say. All i want is some entertainment frim it . Anyone got a link or two to the highlights ? Apparently some comedic performance by the legal team of AH .
                                                        Americans love a comeback story above all else.

Oh crap.. Trump
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Roman Polanski is currently making a new movie called The Palace, currently shooting in Switzerland with the likes of John Cleese and Mickey Rourke attached to the film. Of course, he will go on to make movies regardless of what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                            This has to be the funniest highlight so far although I haven't seen many but . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                              Roman Polanski is currently making a new movie called The Palace, currently shooting in Switzerland with the likes of John Cleese and Mickey Rourke attached to the film. Of course, he will go on to make movies regardless of what happens.
                                                              Cleese went off the deep end. Rourke is a bum.
                                                              But still…fucking hell.

Comment

For an apparently unavoidable media story IPB is genuinely the only place I see anything about that court case. I think it turned up in my Google spotlight thing on the phone once and I clicked 'not interested in this story' and it never appeared again.

Comment

Tokyo Vice ended, eh, abruptly?

Comment

Is this based on your experience in recruitment?

Comment

Share options due to vest on Monday - They're up 14% in the last month - Whisht now with your negativity until I can can cash them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                        Tokyo Vice ended, eh, abruptly?
                                                                        Was it worth watching? Been burned once too often by Hitch recommendations that I'm waiting for someone of unimpeachable taste to give it the nod?

You'll have to do in the absence of anyone else commenting on it

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Was it worth watching? Been burned once too often by Hitch recommendations that I'm waiting for someone of unimpeachable taste to give it the nod?

Wombatman also gave it five wombats out of five.

It's excellent. Haven't seen the last episode, but by the penultimate episode seven, where I'm at, it does feel like it has another 80 episodes to go.

But even I am doubtful of my own recommendations. I watched the new Gordon Ramsey Future Food Stars yesterday and thought it was absolutely fabulous. How could anyone trust anyone who genuinely thinks that?

Comment

yeah it's enjoyable, it's just not finished annoyingly!

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                              Just watched licorice pizza....that could be a serious contender for one of the best films i have ever seen, reminded me of pulp Fiction in the randomness, and a great soundtrack, outstanding.
                                                                              absolutely love that film. have watched it a few times already.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

yeah it's enjoyable, it's just not finished annoyingly!
                                                                                As a person of impeccable good taste, I would give it 7.5 Duke points. Tokyo itself is the main character and I enjoyed it on that level alone.

As shraaaap says, it was building to some ptentially climactic action and then just ended really inconclusively. Felt like they ran out of cash or something rather than clear plotlines to a future series.

Comment

Reports that another Russian warship hit by missiles from Ukraine and is 'on fire'.

How awful.

Comment

Tokyo itself is the main character and I enjoyed it on that level alone.
                                                                                    Yeah. Its just class in that regard. A slightly related show which has a combined Tokyo/London feel is Giri/Haji (8.2 Duke points).

Comment

Yeah. Its just class in that regard. A slightly related show which has a combined Tokyo/London feel is Giri/Haji (8.2 Duke points).
                                                                                      Till the last episode

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

absolutely love that film. have watched it a few times already.
                                                                                        So many random scenes of madness. As for the Japanese restaurant owner...

Will deffo give it a rewatch.
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

So many random scenes of madness. As for the Japanese restaurant owner...

Will deffo give it a rewatch.
                                                                                          Incredible that he made such a great film out of an origin story for the Mattress Man

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Watched Guillermo del Toro's latest Nightmare Alley (it's on Disney+) tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it as a film noir. I'm a big fan of Bradley Cooper.

Do you want hear a ridiculous synchronicity? I randomly came across a video clip during the week of a sign language interpreter at a concert by Cardi B doing the signs for a song of hers called Wet Ass Pussy which was funny.

I went to the Abbey Theatre last night to see An Octoroon. It was sign language interpreted that night. In the play, which is an adaption of a play by an Irish guy from 1859, they play the song Wet Ass Pussy and the interpreter was doing the stuff similar to that video.

Now this isn't "Oh I was only thinking of John during the week and then I bumped into him". Seriously, what an utterly ridiculously unlikely synchronicity.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                              Cleese went off the deep end. Rourke is a bum.
                                                                                              But still…fucking hell.
                                                                                              Au contraire I'm afraid Mellor.

Rourke was one of my fav actors 30-odd years ago. Diner, Rumblefish, Angel Heart (one of the best soundtracks ever BTW), Barfly... all great movies. (Forget 9 1/2 weeks and Wild Orchid though they are still interesting period pieces)

His comebacks Sin City and TheWrestler were, well, award wining and deserved it.

As a pro boxer he had 6 wins and 2 draws - maybe a bum in some boxing circles but boxing doesn't have that high standards. I wouldn't wanna go 8 fights and put my reputation on the line. Would you?

He might have been a head the ball (hey, that's Hollywood) but I wouldn't describe him as a bum but I bet he could play one really well (see Barfly/Bukowski).

Hes friggin' 70 this year! Yes the plastic surgery is an abomination - he blames the boxing I think, I'm not so sure but hey... whatever.. one of the more interesting characters of that period. I believe he was well broke too and just hung with his dogs for an age before getting a second wind.

Hope I do as well when my second wind comes!

(PS...John Cleese on the other hand, well I couldn't agree more. What a sad case of genius turned bitter, unfunny, money grubbing hater. You have to be some kind of cunt for a divorce to cost you £65 million. Up yours Cleese you disloyal Brexit bastard.)
                                                                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 06-05-22, 22:23.

Comment

Cleese is such a bitter prick indeed. How does he keep earning money.

Comment

Cleese is such a bitter prick indeed. How does he keep earning money.
                                                                                                  The only upside is that he has to work til he dies to sort it all out - we're the losers but, well... so is he.

Comment

ln other news the recent brilliant Apple TV show Severance (Ben Stiller, John Truturro, Christopher Walken and more...) which received mostly very good feedback here (and I much agree with all of that) had a number of episodes directed by Omagh, Tyrone-lass - Aoife McArdle who was very involved in the whole production.

I know many won't consider her fully Irish BUT with Sinn Fein about to inherit the north we may as well get used to the notion... she's cooler than Bono, and that's for fucking sure.

It is a shared island after all, and that's all right, right? Aoife abu! She's a real star.

Comment

At least Cleese is anti-Tory and anti-Trump. I always hoped he'd roll back from his Brexit position but sadly that doesn't look like happening. But at least he has somewhat limited his objectionable viewpoints rather than going all-in.

Comment

Not sure this news that the US is directly providing co-ordinate information to kill Russian generals and sink their ships is going to end all that well. It gives all manner of excuses to the Russians to do more bad things.

Comment

Incredible that he made such a great film out of an origin story for the Mattress Man

Not aware of that, and dont think i have seen that film, deliberate casting so with PSH son ?

On casting, it was great the whole Jewish family was an actual family.
                                                                                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Not sure this news that the US is directly providing co-ordinate information to kill Russian generals and sink their ships is going to end all that well. It gives all manner of excuses to the Russians to do more bad things.
                                                                                                            Yeah, because they need excuses.

Fuck them. If there's nobody left to give orders, the entire apparatus falls apart. Which actually seems to be happening right now as the Ukrainian counter-attacks multiply in scale.

Comment

Not aware of that, and dont think i have seen that film, deliberate casting so with PSH son ?
                                                                                                              Site playing up, wont let me add an edit ^

On casting, it was great the jewish family was an actual real family, dynamic played well.
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                At least Cleese is anti-Tory and anti-Trump. I always hoped he'd roll back from his Brexit position but sadly that doesn't look like happening. But at least he has somewhat limited his objectionable viewpoints rather than going all-in.
                                                                                                                I can forgive Basil pretty much anything.

Comment

Yeah, because they need excuses.

Fuck them. If there's nobody left to give orders, the entire apparatus falls apart. Which actually seems to be happening right now as the Ukrainian counter-attacks multiply in scale.
                                                                                                                  They don't need excuses, but this does give them one. It seems huge, no? The US directly targeting Russian military assets. I see there is quite a bit of uneasiness in the US among military experts about the tactic. At the very least, its a risky tactic.

Comment

They don't need excuses, but this does give them one. It seems huge, no? The US directly targeting Russian military assets. I see there is quite a bit of uneasiness in the US among military experts about the tactic. At the very least, its a risky tactic.
                                                                                                                    Intelligence sharing between allies is as old as warfare itself. Now, maybe they shouldn't be shouting about it in public but when an idiot like me can look at what's going on weeks ago and say 'the Ukrainians must be getting real-time intel from the allies in order to be achieving these spectacular results', then it's 100% probable the GRU and FSB are already fully aware.
                                                                                                                    So there's an element of 'duh' to this one. And of course, 'keep up the good work'.

If Russia had any useful allies, they'd be doing the same.

Comment

Anyway I think it is fair to say that 'The West' are engaged in a proxy war with Russia in Ukraine.
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                        Anyway I think it is fair to say that 'The West' are engaged in a proxy war with Russia in Ukraine.
                                                                                                                        lol

Comment

It does seem like a bet that this won't turn nuclear if Russia feels they are losing. Presumably, that's an infinitesimally small chance, but I'm not sure its worth even slightly ratcheting up that possibility.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X