Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shows a bit of a flaw in their (generally excellent) system. That if the legal side of their representative triumpherate can be captured by, effectively, politicians then the whole edifice falls down a fair bit.

Once again showing how lucky we are here that in a small country like ours, a country filled with many gobshites at a general level, that we have managed to have a set of representatives across all parties that are fairly decent with no extremism. Decent legal system too.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

An example of our domestic politicians - love this idea to cut student fees. €12k for a four-year degree isn't much compared to our non-EU brit neighbours, but is well out of line with the rest of Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Been coming a long time though.

What happens next? Presumably individual states can choose, or will we see carloads of teenagers heading for the Canadian border?
        Pretty sure the states currently have wildly varying laws.
        The 15 week state is before the supreme court. But Texas is even lower, banned if there is a heartbeat. Which is ~6-7weeks. At the other end, some states have no limit, which is also ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

The 15 week state is before the supreme court. But Texas is even lower, banned if there is a heartbeat. Which is ~6-7weeks. At the other end, some states have no limit, which is also ridiculous.
          Think Canada has no limits also, but the upper point is not for at-will abortions, but for medically-necessitated abortions. Seems fine to leave that flexibility to medical experts, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

You can also inform on any Texan getting an abortion for a 10k cash reward.
            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

What happens next? P
              Trump gets elected on the back of it.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Trump gets elected on the back of it.
                surely its far more likely that democrats come out and vote - they are the ones who will mobilise.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                  An example of our domestic politicians - love this idea to cut student fees. €12k for a four-year degree isn't much compared to our non-EU brit neighbours, but is well out of line with the rest of Europe.
                  What do you make of Ireland's newest university?
                  SETU or something.
                  Might try and get in with a job for life there.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

What do you make of Ireland's newest university?
                    SETU or something.
                    Might try and get in with a job for life there.
                    I'd imagine it will be a bit of a mess at the beginning, but there's so few competent people in these places, that any type of basic competence leads to near-constant promotions.

Comment

Comment

I'd imagine it will be a bit of a mess at the beginning, but there's so few competent people in these places, that any type of basic competence leads to near-constant promotions.
                        Jesus you are telling me I could get promoted!!!
                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Jesus they're still on the go? I had forgotten about her groups over the last few years.

Twitter filters system working well. send more money

Comment

Where do the years go. Mia and myself having a pint in the Airport

Anyway off to Tenerife for a few weeks

1845AE71-CDBA-4915-8135-4951C4241BC2.jpeg
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

oh my god. Is she not still 11? That is mad how time flies. I can distinctly still remember videos of her as a little kid playing guitar, like it was yesterday.

Comment

oh my god. Is she not still 11? That is mad how time flies. I can distinctly still remember videos of her as a little kid playing guitar, like it was yesterday.
                                I know she turned 17 two weeks ago.
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

Great to hear that it is linked to performance and they are not just throwing funding at ye indiscriminately.
                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

I know she turned 17 two weeks ago.
                                    My daughter is 17 today. I think they are more mature than we were at that age. I guess it's a result of growing up in the information age.

Badgering me first thing to sort of her driving learner permit. I'm like ....you are 17 now chicken. Time to take ownership of your own life. Do it yo self

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Great to hear that it is linked to performance and they are not just throwing funding at ye indiscriminately.
                                      Presumably the key performance criteria is that we have one of the highest third level education attainment percentages in the world, in a set of universities that are all ranked by Times Higher Education in their top universities. Third level education is easily one of the most successful public expenditures in the country, so it seems a decent idea to continue to fund success and help it grow.

Comment

My daughter is 17 today. I think they are more mature than we were at that age. I guess it's a result of growing up in the information age.

Badgering me first thing to sort of her driving learner permit. I'm like ....you are 17 now chicken. Time to take ownership of your own life. Do it yo self
                                        Mia got her permit four days after turning 17 all done by herself lol starts lessons 16 th June.

It's like she grew up over night.ah I'm delighted to say she has her head well screwed on unlike her mother who still hasn't sense
                                        Her sky-ness
                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Mia got her permit four days after turning 17 all done by herself lol starts lessons 16 th June.

It's like she grew up over night.ah I'm delighted to say she has her head well screwed on unlike her mother who still hasn't sense
                                          Please get her to compare driving lesson notes with Hitch
                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I find social stuff like the abortion debate to be so polarising and vitriolic.

Can never understand how these issues mobilise people more than say the housing or cost of living crises. I guess it's the back and white (ug the race debate) nature of them.

The conspiracy theorist in me has it down as some kind of establishment divide and conquer device. Men vs women, black vs white, gay vs straight, pro life vs pro choice.

Comment

Presumably the key performance criteria is that we have one of the highest third level education attainment percentages in the world, in a set of universities that are all ranked by Times Higher Education in their top universities. Third level education is easily one of the most successful public expenditures in the country, so it seems a decent idea to continue to fund success and help it grow.
                                              Thought Irish 3 level was plummeting down the world ranking over the last few years? I'd be wary of investing in a failing model with major legacy systemic issues.

Comment

Please tell me she's doing the adult version with 3 pedals and a gear stick, and not the stop and go pedals funfair version

Comment

Doug's no holds barred roasting of Hellmuth's antics in the streamer cash game is pretty funny.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Please tell me she's doing the adult version with 3 pedals and a gear stick, and not the stop and go pedals funfair version
                                                    Automatic? Jaysus no and there is a few of them about in portlaoise alright.

It would be a nightmare letting her practice on my car
                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Thought Irish 3 level was plummeting down the world ranking over the last few years? I'd be wary of investing in a failing model with major legacy systemic issues.
                                                      In general, all Irish universities are ranked by the main ranking table of top universities (Times Higher Education). But we have fallen over the last decade as 40% (I think, its a very high percentage anyway) of the ranking on those lists is due to staff-student ratios, and these have expanded hugely after the financial crisis, which put in place a recruitment pause. Thats why this investment is to reduce staff-student ratios. It seems like it would be bizarre logic to use a fall in rankings due to poor staff-student ratios to therefore argue that we shouldn't invest in improving staff-student ratios. In any case, Irish universities are, in general, excellently ranked despite the under-investment. There must be no other country in the world, where every single university is ranked by Times Higher Education.

Comment

shrap is a hairsbreath away from arguing that the minitel and landlines were superior forms of technology. Let it go old man. The future is with us youths now. If you're nice we won't put you in a home.

Comment

shrap is a hairsbreath away from arguing that the minitel and landlines were superior forms of technology. Let it go old man. The future is with us youths now. If you're nice we won't put you in a home.
                                                          ouch. the minitel was cutting edge and way ahead of its time. i'd never have put you in the "youths" category tbh!!!

Comment

ouch. the minitel was cutting edge and way ahead of its time. i'd never have put you in the "youths" category tbh!!!
                                                            I was on the edge between youth and middle age, but getting an automatic car tipped me back towards youth.

Comment

Aren't automatics the bastion of pensioners with dodgy hips and knees (and tickers.....)
                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Think Canada has no limits also, but the upper point is not for at-will abortions, but for medically-necessitated abortions. Seems fine to leave that flexibility to medical experts, no?
                                                                I believe, based on the way the info was presented, the states in question were legal at all stages for any reason.

I think your description so Canada is also incorrect technically. It's not a tiered system where medically-necessitated abortions are an unlimited upper limit. There is no legal restriction on abortion at any stage. But that doesn't mean at-will for all any any. A Doctors code of conduct and ethics applies. Which seams to be how they manage it.

In an ideal world, I'd be happy with no limit and let professionals manage it. But the world rarely works like that. I think a legal is better as it removes personal opinion from it - of which there is a lot.

Comment

In general, all Irish universities are ranked by the main ranking table of top universities (Times Higher Education). But we have fallen over the last decade as 40% (I think, its a very high percentage anyway) of the ranking on those lists is due to staff-student ratios, and these have expanded hugely after the financial crisis, which put in place a recruitment pause. Thats why this investment is to reduce staff-student ratios. It seems like it would be bizarre logic to use a fall in rankings due to poor staff-student ratios to therefore argue that we shouldn't invest in improving staff-student ratios. In any case, Irish universities are, in general, excellently ranked despite the under-investment. There must be no other country in the world, where every single university is ranked by Times Higher Education.
                                                                  I'd like to see more of a focus on investment in apprenticeships and trades. Uni isn't for everyone. We are trying to carryout a major home retrofit initiative without the skilled employees there to do it. Making the ITs universities is a move towards academic rather than practical qualifications.

Comment

I'd like to see more of a focus on investment in apprenticeships and trades. Uni isn't for everyone. We are trying to carryout a major home retrofit initiative without the skilled employees there to do it. Making the ITs universities is a move towards academic rather than practical qualifications.
                                                                    I don't think the move of ITs to universities will change their practical focus. I hope not anyway. Apprenticeships tend to benefit from a third level environment, thats why most trade apprenticeships now revolve around a degree+training. Allows upskilling, gives the skills to develop an apprenticeship into a business model.

I'd also suggest that uni is for most people. The same arguments were made against second level when the government decided to start funding it (in the 60s?). That we were creating a nation of academics. Most people want to, and are able to, do jobs that incorporate third level education. Those people also tend to have much lower periods of unemployment, and be more immune to economic downturns. During the last financial crisis, there was 6% unemployment for those with a degree, and 20% unemployment from those without a degree. Now theres an obvious selection bias there - that those who go to uni are probably more capable anyway of avoiding unemployment, but its also the skills and adaptability learned.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                      Aren't automatics the bastion of pensioners with dodgy hips and knees (and tickers.....)
                                                                      There's a lot of old people in the UK so. Its also the majority of new cars sold in France (54% in 2021, vs 25% in 2016, vs 8% in 2004), and in Germany (58% of new cars sold). It seems to be mainly Ireland that is behind (only about a third of new cars are automatic).

graph_1.jpg

Comment

Given that the government gets about 50% of the pay gains that come from education, it does seem like a great investment.

Comment

There's a lot of old people in the UK so. Its also the majority of new cars sold in France (54% in 2021, vs 25% in 2016, vs 8% in 2004), and in Germany (58% of new cars sold). It seems to be mainly Ireland that is behind (only about a third of new cars are automatic).

graph_1.jpg
                                                                          I'd guess this will increase a lot over coming years as electric cars become more prevalent (if supply issues allow that).

Can you even get manual electric cars?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

I'd guess this will increase a lot over coming years as electric cars become more prevalent (if supply issues allow that).

Nope. Don't think so. I saw when looking that up that Germany is removing manual transmission car production by the end of the decade.

Comment

It's pointless, so it'll probably just exist for enthusiasts.

Comment

Yeah I'd say a massive part of that rise is hybrid/electric cars.
                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

There's some mad polling in the North elections. SF far and away the largest party, then its tied DUP and Alliance. Alliance could actually become the second largest party, with DUP in third place.

hmm - given that SF and SDLP combined vote is not a million miles away from the combined catholic share of NI, I wonder if that means that the protestants were the moderates all along, given they are now switching in droves to a moderate party?

Comment

There's some mad polling in the North elections. SF far and away the largest party, then its tied DUP and Alliance. Alliance could actually become the second largest party, with DUP in third place.

hmm - given that SF and SDLP combined vote is not a million miles away from the combined catholic share of NI, I wonder if that means that the protestants were the moderates all along, given they are now switching in droves to a moderate party?
                                                                                    The share of mad fuckers on both sides has always been fairly even. The problem is they get all the publicity, which gives them oxygen.

Comment

You'd imagine if these two managed to get all the way through covid, at their age, without being vaccinated (must be 98% plus vaccination for that age group), that they must have been a bit off-the-cliff during covid itself. Which tentatively suggests that this is an hilarious story.

The Irish grandparents of an Australian family who had flown to Perth to meet their granddaughter have reportedly been deported after they arrived without a Covid-19 jab exemption.

Comment

Strange things afoot here.
                                                                                        Was meant to be out of here in June, email friday asking me to stay until July (not really asking as my redundo + bonuses are tied to staying)
                                                                                        Fielding multiple calls from concerned citizens who hold power (or did until recently) about my interest in new endevors.
                                                                                        Should be a fun few days.
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

There's no gearbox - gears are not needed, so it's neither manual nor automatic - just "forward" / "backward".

You can have 100% of the battery's power available to you at any point in time - something not possible in any mechanical gearbox car, automatic or manual - even with dual clutches!

Comment

Any home networking experts / electricians onboard?

We've got 9 rooms' cat 6 cables all ran to a central point but sat unfinished running into this Comms cabinet in our house - https://www.cablemonkey.ie/data-shee...tachment=37337, as well as 6 Coax pairs.

I've got the gist of what I need to do for the Cat6 cables, just getting a patch panel https://www.cablemonkey.ie/data-shee...tachment=38233 and a pushdown tool and plenty of patience https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076Z37PF7/ in order to terminate all of the cables into the patch panel. I'll then need to create 9 patch cables and find a small enough 10port switch that will sit into the cabinet.

Any clue what I'm supposed to be doing with the coax? The only semi useful image of the cabinet with coax terminated in it is @ https://www.connectixcablingsystems....b-details2.jpg and I haven't a clue what it is I'm supposed to be looking for to terminate/finish all of those there, and also no clue what I'd actually be connecting to it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

We've got 9 rooms' cat 6 cables all ran to a central point but sat unfinished running into this Comms cabinet in our house - https://www.cablemonkey.ie/data-shee...tachment=37337, as well as 6 Coax pairs.

I've got the gist of what I need to do for the Cat6 cables, just getting a patch panel https://www.cablemonkey.ie/data-shee...tachment=38233 and a pushdown tool and plenty of patience https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076Z37PF7/ in order to terminate all of the cables into the patch panel. I'll then need to create 9 patch cables and find a small enough 10port switch that will sit into the cabinet.

Any clue what I'm supposed to be doing with the coax? The only semi useful image of the cabinet with coax terminated in it is @ https://www.connectixcablingsystems....b-details2.jpg and I haven't a clue what it is I'm supposed to be looking for to terminate/finish all of those there, and also no clue what I'd actually be connecting to it anyway.
                                                                                              Coax is generally used for audio and video signals, probably intended to be used to distribute over RF from a centrally located Satt receiver ?
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

No idea about coax but don't bother making small patch leads unless you want to drive yourself insane. Get some small ones pre made for peanuts. Farnell usually a good shout. If your switch isn't rack mountable get a 1u tray to keep everything tidy. Grab a cat6 cable tester while you're at it and make sure to label everything religiously.
                                                                                                Last edited by coillcam; 03-05-22, 21:07.

Comment

I'm becoming fascinated by the amount of ads for 'credit check solution' companies on UK television, as it's an industry that doesn't seem to exist in Ireland.
                                                                                                  For a while the ads were limited to cheap daytime slots on ITV3/UKGold, but now they are appearing in premium slots on Sky Sports Main Event.

There was one earlier where the hook was "if I hadn't gone to Credit Check Fixers I wouldn't have been able to get a loan for my new sofa".
                                                                                                  Now clearly that somewhat indicates where the problem lies, but obviously the admakers have decided that 'hide your bad loans so you can get another loan' is actually a selling point!

I've no idea how this industry works or what sort of money it generates?

Comment

murica

40 years in a barrel, fuck me.

The plunging water level in Lake Mead -- the country's largest reservoir, besieged by drought -- unveiled another disturbing discovery over the weekend, police say: a body in a barrel.

The Colorado River irrigates farms, powers electric grids and provides drinking water for 40 million people. As its supply dwindles, a crisis looms.

A person who was spending time at the lake Sunday afternoon found the barrel, according to Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Homicide Lieutenant Ray Spencer. The person could see the remains in the barrel because it was corroded.

Spencer said in a release Tuesday investigators believe the person was likely a murder victim who died from a gunshot wound.

According to the release, an investigation is now underway, and "detectives believe the victim was killed some time in the mid '70s to early '80s, based on clothing and footwear the victim was found with."

and now for the doozy:

"The lake has drained dramatically over the last 15 years," Spencer said previously, noting "it's likely that we will find additional bodies that have been dumped in Lake Mead" as the water level drops more.

Comment

Emmet You need a crimper, RJ45 heads, a cable tester and a fuckload of patience to finish the cat6 cables. What's the coax for though? Are you planning to have another TV box set up somewhere else?
                                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Better Call Saul prediction:

SPOILER
                                                                                                        Kim's going to die surely.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                          I'm becoming fascinated by the amount of ads for 'credit check solution' companies on UK television, as it's an industry that doesn't seem to exist in Ireland.
                                                                                                          For a while the ads were limited to cheap daytime slots on ITV3/UKGold, but now they are appearing in premium slots on Sky Sports Main Event.

There was one earlier where the hook was "if I hadn't gone to Credit Check Fixers I wouldn't have been able to get a loan for my new sofa".
                                                                                                          Now clearly that somewhat indicates where the problem lies, but obviously the admakers have decided that 'hide your bad loans so you can get another loan' is actually a selling point!

you can't do anything here without a good credit rating. Before we bought our house, i was refused a 30 quid a month phone contract as my credit rating was poor, simply because i didn't have any debt, no credit card, loans etc. and therefore they had no data on me. i then got a credit card, we now have a massive mortgage, a car loan, etc. and my credit rating is now through the roof as i pay everything on time. stupid system.

Comment

Better Call Saul prediction:

SPOILER
                                                                                                            Kim's going to die surely.
                                                                                                            It's all starting to click together nicely.

SPOILER
                                                                                                            I've been waiting for her to leave from way back but the longer it goes on the more likely it is that she's taken out. The last two episodes were excellent, sad to see nacho go but his story was told. Reall funny to see who Jimmy hired to set up Howard

Comment

Wow, no more Russian oil in the EU. That's pretty impressive (and other nail in the coffin of RuSSia).

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I just put in for a check those week, just out of curiosity. It's free through the cbi

The Central Credit Register (CCR) is being established by the Central Bank of Ireland, under the Credit Reporting Act 2013.

No reason why that wouldn't stop a premium service though. People pay 10% to that Tax Rebate service to fill out a form for them.

Comment

Wow, no more Russian oil in the EU. That's pretty impressive (and other nail in the coffin of RuSSia).
                                                                                                                  meh. The only reason they could ban oil, and not gas, is because oil is a fully fluid international market. Oil not bought by one country just goes to another country. There's still the Saudi-Russia oil pact, that largely is pivotal in world oil supply. Proving once again, time and again, that the Saudi's are a bunch of pricks, and the oddest pick for 'friends of the west'.

Comment

Not that odd when they control a huge part of a commodity that the world really needs.

Comment

ah the saudis are just pricks

Comment

ah the saudis are just pricks
                                                                                                                        The world doesn't cosy up to them because anyone thinks they are sound.

Comment

The world doesn't cosy up to them because anyone thinks they are sound.
                                                                                                                          Out of curiosity haw many Starpoo's have you reserved in advance?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X