This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Gone sale agreed on that house in D1, a mere €95k over asking at €590k, so hopefully all goes well and I get into that bad boy.
    Awaiting the invite to a hipster vegan poker evening. With bated breath.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      New AirBnB policy. Hopefully we see much more of this. Think Facebook did it recently too. It has never been shown to be true that rumour that a company becomes tax liable if an employee spends a bit of time in a foreign country (like less than 90 days, as in this policy). Actually, my wife is planning to find a new job, with the number one criteria being that it allows this flexibility. Seems a pity to be losing your top employees because you misinterpreted tax laws.
      The company my missus works for is 100% remote since day 1. No offices and no base but it still is considered a predominately US company, particularly the culture, notice period hiring/firing etc. Citizens of most countries can be taken on as contractors (except UK/USA where they have enough employees to justify company set-up costs). However, a handful of countries are blacklisted due to labour laws. I don't know the exact details but it's got something to do with being de-facto full-time employees after a period of time or restrictions on contracting for foreign companies for tax purposes.

Now the kicker about being available for worldwide talent is mostly fluff. The demographics are about 70%+ US, 15% CA/UK and the rest is spread out over timezones (for 24/7 support coverage). If you're from the US and have a referral you're basically in, unless your job (mostly support) requires EMEA/APAC hours. They do encourage staff to work from wherever they want and are flexible with moving hours days around. So working remotely from anywhere... pretty much Yes for the most part. Hiring from anywhere... Not really accurate tbf.

I've been chatting to a few guys recently (not google) in tech roles that are being encouraged to come back to the office and they will happily work to rule (from home) until fired. Same story: fuck Dublin rents and commutes. They're staying home and enjoying the fact they can cuddle the kids, walk the dog, go to an appointment and have 2 hours extra time for hobbies/exercise study etc.

Is google still demanding employees come back to the office?
      Last edited by coillcam; 29-04-22, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Awaiting the invite to a hipster vegan poker evening. With bated breath.
        Request sent to girlfriend to replace dining table with poker table. I used to have one in my apartment in galway and a weekly game, FO followed by cash - but only crazy games, good times.

Comment

I quite enjoy Turkeys answer to inflation - "Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has sacked the head of the state statistics agency, according to a decree published Saturday, after releasing data showing last year's inflation rate hit a 19-year high of 36.1 percent."

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has sacked the head of the state statistics agency, according to a decree published Saturday, after releasing data showing last year's inflation rate hit a 19-year…

Inflation here is now thought to be closing in on 60%

Comment

oh to have someone look at you, the way HJ looks at the Fed. You're making Yellen blush.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Bill Bailey show this evening. Hoping its as epic as some of his past masterpieces.

Comment

Bill Bailey show this evening. Hoping its as epic as some of his past masterpieces.
                I’m going too. (Never really that much of a fan but got free tickets and passes to the 1878 club)
                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ozark finale out.
                  7 eps.
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                    Guessing it's this
                    Oh Janis.

Must stroll around the corner and shake my head sadly outside her window

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                      Ozark finale out.
                      7 eps.
                      It's a show that I've watched but never really fully embraced. I find the wife character really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                        I've been chatting to a few guys recently (not google) in tech roles that are being encouraged to come back to the office and they will happily work to rule (from home) until fired. Same story: fuck Dublin rents and commutes. They're staying home and enjoying the fact they can cuddle the kids, walk the dog, go to an appointment and have 2 hours extra time for hobbies/exercise study etc.
                        Not just Tech. See this in Finance too although they seem much more zealous about chasing people back into the office in the big locations like London or NY. 3 days in, 2 days out seems to be the usual deal.
                        I'm seeing it come up a lot in interviews where people are asking (but really demanding) that they be given full-time home working.

Comment

It's a show that I've watched but never really fully embraced. I find the wife character really annoying.
                          season 1 was utter tripe. never went further tbh.

Comment

Not just Tech. See this in Finance too although they seem much more zealous about chasing people back into the office in the big locations like London or NY. 3 days in, 2 days out seems to be the usual deal.
                            I'm seeing it come up a lot in interviews where people are asking (but really demanding) that they be given full-time home working.
                            Gfs place announced mandatory working for office for "non-executive" staff 5 days a week, a week or two ago, to start in June. Don't know if the executive staff will wfh or not yet, just they are announced separately. She has received over 30 resignations so far. They doubled down and now when people are joining they have to sign something saying if they do not work in the office full time they will be forced to resign.

My boss told me that he knew if he wanted to force people back he may as well be updating their CV for them. I'm currently 1 day a week in the office (less due to bank holidays and I come in mondays) and the rest of the office are in 2 days a week, happy enough with my lot for now. We are a hardware company also so it makes sense everyone can't be home all the time.

I was helping write a job spec yesterday, as even with the hybrid role, three people left (out of 15 developers). Been told retention and attraction are very hard right now. Not to mention things like workday announcing 1000 jobs on our doorstep. Getting a lot more recruiters calls these days.
                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-04-22, 12:22.

Comment

oh to have someone look at you, the way HJ looks at the Fed. You're making Yellen blush.

Comment

The remote working thing is interesting. It clearly suits some industries far better than others. I was lucky enough to be able to work remotely from Barbados from Dec 2020 until last month. There was a push back to office and I was happy to go along with that for career purposes. Currently in the office 3/4 days a week - I have a handy commute and generally like being in there.

Unless a workplace fully embraces remote working for everyone, you are far less visible when remote compared to your peers regularly being present in the office, and this must have a bearing on future earning potential. I would also strongly discourage anyone at a relatively junior role from seeking out full time remote working opportunities - people do not realise how much they learn from absorbing what happens around them in an office environment, and that is very hard to replicate.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                  The remote working thing is interesting. It clearly suits some industries far better than others. I was lucky enough to be able to work remotely from Barbados from Dec 2020 until last month. There was a push back to office and I was happy to go along with that for career purposes. Currently in the office 3/4 days a week - I have a handy commute and generally like being in there.

Unless a workplace fully embraces remote working for everyone, you are far less visible when remote compared to your peers regularly being present in the office, and this must have a bearing on future earning potential. I would also strongly discourage anyone at a relatively junior role from seeking out full time remote working opportunities - people do not realise how much they learn from absorbing what happens around them in an office environment, and that is very hard to replicate.
                                  What game are you in again (roughly)?

Comment

We'll end up with even more of a two tiered society. Lowered paid jobs will have higher costs in time and money. money as they'll require a physical presence.

Bit mad how it's all gone. Now it's unreasonable to request someone to actually come into an office?

Comment

When is the 4 day work (from home) week happening is what I wanna know

Comment

It always was an unproductive violation of human rights & the environment for anyone working mainly on a computer, it just took an epidemic for us to realise.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          We'll end up with even more of a two tiered society. Lowered paid jobs will have higher costs in time and money. money as they'll require a physical presence.

Bit mad how it's all gone. Now it's unreasonable to request someone to actually come into an office?
                                          Not even a wet day into his managerial promotion and already he wants to push around us poor slobs.

Comment

An example I've given a few times in real life before (without any identifying characteristics obv) is one that Raoul mentioned a while ago - about some young lad in his office wanting to spend a few months in Brazil. And his boss goes 'you just want to watch the hot girls in carnivale'. And then in a classic academic twist I proclaim - and why the fuck shouldn't he be able to spend his time oogling the hot girls in carnivale in his free time rather than being stuck with the fake tans of Crysteles. The room explodes, the audience roars appreciatively. In my head. But, we've got a mad sense of our control over workers. It surely wouldn't actually impact work in the slightest, but it would have made him a happier worker, who is much less likely to leave, and people are your profit centre.

Comment

I'm not sure about that, it would make more sense for jobs that require a physical presence to be compensated for it. EG: I would turn down a role exactly the same as mine but in an office 100% if it offered 25% more.

Comment

In a somewhat humorous turn of events, I just went into the back garden to find out that the recipient of the prestigious third level qualification pictured below had ripped her certificate to shreds, thus demonstrating suitable contempt for higher learning.
                                                SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  It always was an unproductive violation of human rights & the environment for anyone working mainly on a computer, it just took an epidemic for us to realise.
                                                  which human rights were being violated here?

Comment

Should jump straight to 3 day weeks instead.

Comment

which human rights were being violated here?
                                                      The right to spend your time doing this:

And not this:

Comment

The right to spend your time doing this:

And not this:
                                                        OK, so no actual human right.

Comment

Also this tragedy would have been averted:

The veteran politician, who had the Conservative whip suspended on Friday, said he opened a file by mistake and would continue with his parliamentary duties while inquiries are ongoing, but there are calls for him to resign immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

What game are you in again (roughly)?
                                                            Big 4

Comment

OK, so no actual human right.
                                                              it's listed under slavery

Comment

I'm not sure about that, it would make more sense for jobs that require a physical presence to be compensated for it. EG: I would turn down a role exactly the same as mine but in an office 100% if it offered 25% more.
                                                                For certain roles that will happen. But it's not going to happen retail/hospitality etc.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post

Big 4
                                                                  I'm hearing Sligo town burgers...

Comment

it's listed under slavery
                                                                    You may want to look up the dictionary definition of that

Comment

Apparently Putin is now personally supervising the Ukraine War.

Worked out well when a previous unhinged fascist dictator did the same thing.

Comment

All the talk of remote working. Coming into the office every day for the last two years has been a god send - No way I would have liked to be at home full time or even 2 - 3 days a week.

I admit it's nice to have some flexibility if you have to work from home on a rare occasion but otherwise, no thanks.

Comment

I'm in office 1 week a month.
                                                                          Rest of the team are 3office/2home, whether that's days or weeks up to manager to sort.

We're hiring both very inexperienced and experienced roles at the moment, the juniors basically need to go to the office as much as they can tbh, if they are (and should be) being selfish. The seniors can do what they like as long as they're doing the job.

2 offers out yesterday, 2 yesses today. Decent start to the bank holiday weekend.

@HH your boy got the role - forgot to mention he name dropped you in the interview, I think I managed to hold it together / keep a straight face.
                                                                          Last edited by Emmet; 29-04-22, 18:19.

Comment

Are you on about the 4 day 80% week or the 100% one?

The latter must be happening and the former… dunno?

Not sure i see a whole lot of businesses adapting to it with eagerness.

Comment

Corporate work need to be measured by deliverables and task execution, not time.
                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Knew it was a cover but hadn't seen or heard the songwriter before

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Are you on about the 4 day 80% week or the 100% one?

The latter must be happening and the former… dunno?

Not sure i see a whole lot of businesses adapting to it with eagerness.
                                                                                        80%, two places did contact me about it this year for the first time.

Currently my work does let people work 4 days weeks, but for 80% salary haha.

Comment

Community Games

Comment

Mr. Beast doing his best to repopularise poker to the kids and is going to be taking on Dwan/Hellmuth in a high-stakes cash game. Alexandra Botez is also in the game, she is a massive chess steamer. No idea who Ludwig is? Presume he is another big streamer on twitch. I think they will be adding more players in the coming days, should be a fun watch.

Comment

Very much so.

I watch it and think it’s good but not fantastically so.

Thinking about it; do the best shows not hsve annoying characters?

I think to The Wire, Sopranos, Shield - don’t think they had any character that i really hated.

Probably why i don’t put Breaking Bad quite on that pedestal - the wife…. again

Comment

Very much so.

I watch it and think it’s good but not fantastically so.

Thinking about it; do the best shows not hsve annoying characters?

I think to The Wire, Sopranos, Shield - don’t think they had any character that i really hated.

Probably why i don’t put Breaking Bad quite on that pedestal - the wife…. again
                                                                                                Ziggy.

Comment

BBV ahead of the curve

Comment

Ziggy.
                                                                                                    Now plying a living under the name Joaquin Neimann and in the top 50 in the PGA tour
                                                                                                    Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Grand evening spent having a few drinks with 6star and his wife. After many postponements for different reasons, was finally nice to make it happen.

Still a top man.

Comment

BBV ahead of the curve
                                                                                                        At least we didn’t have to read it through a Twitter thread
                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Ziggy.
                                                                                                          Hmmm. He was meant to be annoying tho.

And spoiler

if he lasted more than 1 series (which is the arc anyway) i’d deffo agree with you

Comment

Surely anyone but Biden for next US president is lock of the century ?
                                                                                                            this is that bad that my first thought was man these Russian deepfakes are getting really good

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Now plying a living under the name Joaquin Neimann and in the top 50 in the PGA tour
                                                                                                              I’m sure there is some witty anecdote one could make with a birdie here.

*One for the true fans

Comment

I’m sure there is some witty anecdote one could make with a birdie here.

*One for the true fans
                                                                                                                Season 2 devotee - I got it

Comment

Thought it was the best season till i rewatched recently.

it’s not but still fantastic.

4 went up in my estimations

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                                    Surely anyone but Biden for next US president is lock of the century ?
                                                                                                                    this is that bad that my first thought was man these Russian deepfakes are getting really good
                                                                                                                    We've all been tired and talked like that. Doesn't mean we have some sort of mental degenerative illness.

Hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                      Corporate work need to be measured by deliverables and task execution, not time.
                                                                                                                      It should definitely be measured by deliverables.
                                                                                                                      The reality is for a lot of tasks being in a office environment is more productive. Others home is better, or neutral. The key is setting those metrics appropriately.

I can’t speak for others, but for my team. The ones who are most reluctant to come into the office are the ones who need to be in their more often. The more senior, autonomous guys are quite capable of regulating their time.

We were 2days in the office, with 3 days flexible. But we are increasing to 3 days in the office as the juniors were not using their flex time well.

Comment

I like the Ozarks . If you find the wife annoying as a minus yer not getting it imo. Started rewatching breaking bad again. The Gus Episodes are up there with the best TV ever . I think BB suffered by its popularity in that folk became over familiar with it so dropped its ranking. However when you look at the great characters in it. Its up there top 3 for me.
                                                                                                                        Skylar BB and Wendy Ozarks are geebags but necessary geebags . If you hate them, they are doing their job. The son is probably my least fav character.
                                                                                                                        Ozarks very watchable. My ranking still. The Wire . 2. The Sopranos 3 BB.

GAP to the rest.

For comedy American Office > Uk Office ( random input)

CUNW .
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Solksjaer!; 30-04-22, 06:01.

Comment

I've to go for work drinks in Blanch tonight. A bustard of a place to get to for me.

Don't want to spend €80 on taxis so am thinking of 4x busses. Can watch a bit of Netflix.

Can I buy some sort of card that will cover them all?

Last one is a nitelink.
                                                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X