Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do enjoy being at technical planning meetings, for a massive enterprise system, and being told you are being negative every time you point out a glaring flaw or oversight. How does one find a cure for Emperor's New Clothes syndrome?
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      I do enjoy being at technical planning meetings, for a massive enterprise system, and being told you are being negative every time you point out a glaring flaw or oversight. How does one find a cure for Emperor's New Clothes syndrome?
      I hate that shite where critical with a view to improving is seen as negitive. So many would rather put the blinkers on and pretend the plan is great, can find something to blame it on later when it doesn't work out.
      airport, lol

Comment

Nuclear is the only realistic way out of the climate crisis.
        Its not, and you're being negative.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I see DCC have decided to pedestrianise Capel Street. I don't even go in that often but that's brilliant news. It was so much better last year so great to see them take peoples opinion on board. Over 90% of the submissions were in favour of it so the system works.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
            I see DCC have decided to pedestrianise Capel Street. I don't even go in that often but that's brilliant news. It was so much better last year so great to see them take peoples opinion on board. Over 90% of the submissions were in favour of it so the system works.
            Yeah. Its such a class street also. Love that Brazillian bakery at the far end of it. And of course the indomitable Hilan.

Comment

Have to say I’m warming to Elon musk now given the array of Uber gimps he has pissed off with the Twitter acquisition- thankfully don’t know or associate with anyone who tweets regularly- usually make a note not to read articles from any journalist who takes it seriously ( Richard chambers, Gavin o Reilly etc)
              Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

My missus' pet peeve in her company (US based web corporate).... "OMG that's such a great question, really glad you asked it!". That and the massive worldwide diversity program that involves regularly hiring, white middle-class moustachio'd codebros in flannel from two cities by referral. There's such an overbearing pressure to be immensely positive about everything.

My place is going through the great resignation atm. I'm on the move at the end of May as it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I pretty much gave up on shopping in Dunnes as they were beyond awful to staff locally which turned to not just be a local phenomonon. At least Aldi/Lidl pay their staff properly.
                  The Stephens Green Dunnes just lost 50 staff to the banks. They will have to start increasing pay soon.

I haven’t witnessed any staff issues and anyone I know who worked there over the years didn’t have any problems.
                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Ah, the old hotel switcheroo. It's been a while.

'Yes, sir we've upgraded you to a complimentary suite'

<walks to lift whistling a jaunty tune, arrives at correct door. Realises certain key words were deleted from the end of the above sentence such as 'that is overlooking a very loud train line' or 'has what appears to be a party of drunken hippos in the room next door'.>

Gets them every time.
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Order steak and red wine from room service.

Am brought seafood linguini and prosecco.

A trend emerging here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Order steak and red wine from room service.

Am brought seafood linguini and prosecco.

A trend emerging here.
                        Well it could have been worse i guess

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Well it could have been worse i guess
                          Oh, I ate it. Would really have been rolling the dice to see what came back. And when.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

The Stephens Green Dunnes just lost 50 staff to the banks. They will have to start increasing pay soon.

I haven’t witnessed any staff issues and anyone I know who worked there over the years didn’t have any problems.
                            Dunnes Stores is under fire for offering contracts of less than 15 hours a week to staff.

The above link tbf isn't exclusive to Dunnes. My cousin worked in Dunnes for a couple years in college while this was kicking off. Her experience wasnt the best. Had a housemate in college with similar to say a few years before also. Not getting full shifts, manipulation into covering at short notice by dangling p45 not a team player and so on. Similar playbook.

Anyway largely an experience many will be familiar with in retail/hospitality. I hope its gotten better.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                              Have to say I’m warming to Elon musk now given the array of Uber gimps he has pissed off with the Twitter acquisition- thankfully don’t know or associate with anyone who tweets regularly- usually make a note not to read articles from any journalist who takes it seriously ( Richard chambers, Gavin o Reilly etc)
                              Fintwit and CT (crypto) are absolutely essential for alpha and breaking news if you are in those areas. Like the old 2+2 HSNL forum, just a wealth of information.

Comment

In other financial new Bill Hwang was arrested today. His story is breathtaking...https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...e?srnd=opinion

Comment

Beautiful- good to see RT funding prob drying up isn’t gonna stop him
                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I actually remember this interview. I'm pretty sure we got a table quiz question right a couple of years ago about what was the follow up to Angela's Ashes called not because I remembered that the sequel was called Tis but because I remember this guy about to burst a blood vessel on the LLS roaring 'Tis In My Arse'

Comment

Tokyo Vice tension is properly building up!

Comment

That is deeply brilliant.

Comment

Julius Caesar walks into a bar and says, "I'll have a Martinus." The bartender gives him a puzzled look and asks, "Don't you mean a Martini?" "Look," Caesar replies, "If I wanted a double, I'd have asked for it!"

Comment

I released a song a little while ago, it's a long techno number with live instruments. It's a little off the beaten track but some people might enjoy it! https://open.spotify.com/track/433bK...b02612356b4916

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

early morning start. 640 train. got there round 8. sun was out, blue skies at the RDV. met up with the member inviting us. had a bacon sarnie in the members bar, got changed went down to the driving range which apparently cost 5 or 600k to build apparently (300k over budget). lovely range. ended up hitting balls next to Shevchenko the footballer, who's a member there and has a caddy follow him around and hand him clubs. a few putts on the practice green, and off we went. first hole is a par 5, which i birdied (3rd shot to within 10 feet of the pin). it all went downhill from there after that. couldn't hit the ball to save my life. was embarrassing.

The old course is a thing of beauty tbh. never played anywhere so nice (which doesn't mean too much as i've not played that many courses). pine trees everywhere, heather as rough. and bunkers everywhere. if you're in the heather, you're just praying you can just pop it back out on the fairway, as it's lethal in there. apparently it's cut quite short (7 or 8 inches) most of the time, but they let it grow when there are big tournaments there.

it's worth checking out some of the pics as it's sublime, especially the 10th which starts from up high on a beautiful par 4. once you hole out, there is a little cafeteria there serving breakfast (open all year round every day), so we had a couple of sausages and an orange juice before carrying on.

Welcome to Sunningdale Golf Club. "All that one would hope to find in the ideal golf club is in abundance at Sunningdale." Sir Michael Bonallack.

After the golf, had lunch on the terrace overlooking the 18th, lovely carvery lunch accompanied by some amazing wines (chateau leoville barton 2008 amongst others).

Awesome day! and for anyone wanting to join, don't bother, they've closed the waiting list as it's just too long, but just in case you get offered a place, just a measley one off GBP44k joining fee and an annual fee of 4.5k
                                              As Lou Reed would have said...

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I actually remember this interview. I'm pretty sure we got a table quiz question right a couple of years ago about what was the follow up to Angela's Ashes called not because I remembered that the sequel was called Tis but because I remember this guy about to burst a blood vessel on the LLS roaring 'Tis In My Arse'

Comment

How does he make a living these days, he's hardly getting enough off the residuals from Hardy Bucks?

Originally posted by Bozzer View Post
                                                  Love the reaction of the young wan behind him when he says Sexual intercourse @57 secs but later seems only mildly amused by the accusations of necrophilia

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I see from googling that video is a bit of a meme on reddit

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

How does he make a living these days, he's hardly getting enough off the residuals from Hardy Bucks?
                                                      On the live streams of various games (often played in character as Tommy Shlug) he gets tips from the viewers, normally a few quid a pop and rarely over €10/€20. Definitely could pull in €1k+ on a busy stream. He's been quiet for a while though. I'd imagine with the connection to RT he probably decided to lay low.

There was clip someone captured where a fan donated a large amount which caused him to break character out of shock and pull the stream for a few mins. I think it was €1k and he spluttered out "a grand, wtf?!"

Comment

On the live streams of various games (often played in character as Tommy Shlug) he gets tips from the viewers, normally a few quid a pop and rarely over €10/€20. Definitely could pull in €1k+ on a busy stream. He's been quiet for a while though. I'd imagine with the connection to RT he probably decided to lay low.

There was clip someone captured where a fan donated a large amount which caused him to break character out of shock and pull the stream for a few mins. I think it was €1k and he spluttered out "a grand, wtf?!"
                                                        ah but surely he is kinda insulated from that, given he was primarily taking the piss.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

ah but surely he is kinda insulated from that, given he was primarily taking the piss.
                                                          Cancellers gonna cancel. Would you take the risk if you were the viper?

Comment

If I was the fucking viper then absolutely

Comment

I've watched those and what he's doing is brilliant and great use of the medium but money is money but it's hardly a living. He's so talented in a field where mediocrity reigns you'd have to wonder why someone isn't throwing big budgets at him to make more TV.
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

He's an interesting character. Probably Hardy Bucks made him wealthy enough to be independently creative and he prefers it that way. YouTube and RT probably keep him ticking over and that's fine. I'd love to see him do something with a serious budget too, but he's prickly enough to not want the hassle of having bosses interfering in everything.
                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Julius Caesar walks into a bar and says, "I'll have a Martinus." The bartender gives him a puzzled look and asks, "Don't you mean a Martini?" "Look," Caesar replies, "If I wanted a double, I'd have asked for it!"
                                                                  Mark Anthony walked into a bar held 2 fingers up and got 5 beers.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I've watched those and what he's doing is brilliant and great use of the medium but money is money but it's hardly a living. He's so talented in a field where mediocrity reigns you'd have to wonder why someone isn't throwing big budgets at him to make more TV.
                                                                    Tbf it's pocket money for him. He's worked with RTE a few times before so I thought he'd get another run. Maybe he's not interested in working with them. I always thought he'd do something like Harry Enfield/Fast show where the various characters have different sketches over an episode and limited run, say 6 to 10 episodes. Another one would have been Daily Show/Last Week Tonight style.

For me, he's always been the most talented of the hardy bucks crew but seems to court the media a lot less than Owen/Buzz and the rest.

Comment

A small fall US fall in GDP in the first quarter of the year, just announced. Nothing to see here. And surely the proposed tripling of interest rates during the year can only help matters.

Seems their trade balance will come in around $1.2 trillion of a deficit this year, on top of a trillion-dollar deficit last year. Just a few years ago it was regularly half that amount in deficit.

I just can't see how that's sustainable - literally shipping a trillion dollars a year to other countries. I do realise its more complicated than that (for example, if you import something that adds more value, than the cash spent, then that's a 'good' import), but broadly speaking, it seems like madness.

Add it to the $30 trillion national debt, 135% of GDP, and while that's not catastrophic for a country like the US with all the controls it has over money supply etc, its surely suggests a country that can't handle much more stress.

We're on a bit of a precipice here.

Comment

Almost can't believe I'm making money on a Tesla short

Comment

A small fall US fall in GDP in the first quarter of the year, just announced. Nothing to see here. And surely the proposed tripling of interest rates during the year can only help matters.

Seems their trade balance will come in around $1.2 trillion of a deficit this year, on top of a trillion-dollar deficit last year. Just a few years ago it was regularly half that amount in deficit.

I just can't see how that's sustainable - literally shipping a trillion dollars a year to other countries. I do realise its more complicated than that (for example, if you import something that adds more value, than the cash spent, then that's a 'good' import), but broadly speaking, it seems like madness.

Add it to the $30 trillion national debt, 135% of GDP, and while that's not catastrophic for a country like the US with all the controls it has over money supply etc, its surely suggests a country that can't handle much more stress.

Is it time to put our money in Belgium yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                            Almost can't believe I'm making money on a Tesla short
                                                                            Even a stopped clock etc
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Blindboys' latest podcast with Keith Earls where they discuss respective mental health issues is a really great listen between two people you never would expect to come together and hear having a chat.

Comment

A short recession can be painful but is a lot better than sustained high inflation. There was a short recession in 1982 that preceded one of the greatest economic booms of all time. Recessions have some good effects, like loss-making companies going out of business and allowing Denny's short book to finally turn a profit.

On the deficit, for the US a trade deficit is not a bad thing and reflects about a million variables.

"Economists highlight that the singular role of the U.S. economy in providing liquidity to the global economy and driving demand around the world makes a U.S. trade deficit central to global economic stability. The dollar’s role as the global reserve currency and primary tool for global transactions means that many other countries rely on holding dollar reserves, creating massive demand for U.S. financial assets. This means that the U.S. pays little for its foreign borrowing, allowing it to finance its high consumption at low cost, which boosts global demand. Some economists warn [PDF] that moving toward a U.S. trade surplus could lead to lower global growth and more economic instability among U.S. trade partners, though others believe that high foreign demand for U.S. assets burdens the economy and makes achieving full employment more difficult."

President Trump has made reducing the U.S. trade deficit a priority, blaming trade deals like NAFTA, but economists disagree over how policymakers should respond.

Comment

Oh, I ate it. Would really have been rolling the dice to see what came back. And when.
                                                                                  surely you aren't paying for it though?
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

surely you aren't paying for it though?
                                                                                    I'm not paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

A short recession can be painful but is a lot better than sustained high inflation. There was a short recession in 1982 that preceded one of the greatest economic booms of all time. Recessions have some good effects, like loss-making companies going out of business and allowing Denny's short book to finally turn a profit.

On the deficit, for the US a trade deficit is not a bad thing and reflects about a million variables.

"Economists highlight that the singular role of the U.S. economy in providing liquidity to the global economy and driving demand around the world makes a U.S. trade deficit central to global economic stability. The dollar’s role as the global reserve currency and primary tool for global transactions means that many other countries rely on holding dollar reserves, creating massive demand for U.S. financial assets. This means that the U.S. pays little for its foreign borrowing, allowing it to finance its high consumption at low cost, which boosts global demand. Some economists warn [PDF] that moving toward a U.S. trade surplus could lead to lower global growth and more economic instability among U.S. trade partners, though others believe that high foreign demand for U.S. assets burdens the economy and makes achieving full employment more difficult."

President Trump has made reducing the U.S. trade deficit a priority, blaming trade deals like NAFTA, but economists disagree over how policymakers should respond.

Oh yeah I know the rationale for why the US runs a trade deficit. But it's not an unlimited thing. At some point core economics catches up with you if you are constantly sending money overseas. That's why I highlighted the fact it had doubled in a few years, rather than the existence of the deficit itself

Comment

Oh yeah I know the rationale for why the US runs a trade deficit. But it's not an unlimited thing. At some point core economics catches up with you if you are constantly sending money overseas. That's why I highlighted the fact it had doubled in a few years, rather than the existence of the deficit itself
                                                                                        I'm not sure what this core economics is you talk of! If something isn't a bad thing, then doubling isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when you aren't accounting for inflation or GDP growth

Comment

If the US was about to drive off a cliff it's currency wouldn't be doing what is currently doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                            If the US was about to drive off a cliff it's currency wouldn't be doing what is currently doing.
                                                                                            The rouble is essentially unchanged against the dollar, despite the invasion and crippling sanctions, how does that make sense - forex markets are not for prediction - hence why you don't trade them. I'm not sure we want to over-interpret a countries economic prospects based on its relative currency performance.

The obvious reason why USD is so high anyway, is the signal of rapidly rising interest rates vs EUR having signalled they won't be doing that. Basic Fisher equation stuff. Find it hard to see the long-run benefits of that.
                                                                                            Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 28-04-22, 23:30.

Comment

I'm not sure what this core economics is you talk of! If something isn't a bad thing, then doubling isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when you aren't accounting for inflation or GDP growth
                                                                                              GDP fell, it didn't grow, in the first quarter? That was the opening point of my original post.

The core economics is almost Ricardian in a sense - that a country can't just keep losing at trade and continue to be an economic success. You simply can't keep shipping increasing amounts of your currency overseas and that be a good idea. It just doesn't work.

Re the point that 'if something isn't a bad thing, then doubling isn't necessarily a bad thing' - hmm, there's many many many things that are fine in moderation but harmful in excess.

What's interesting, to me anyway, is the extent to which the smarter countries have simply stopped accumulating US debt. China has been stuck at a trillion in US debt for ages now. And that's the country that is most successful at managing its currency exchange rate. The main buyer of US debt now is Japan. I'm not sure that's a great basis of support for a supposed global currency. Japan hasn't done anything in 30 years.

Comment

I released a song a little while ago, it's a long techno number with live instruments. It's a little off the beaten track but some people might enjoy it! https://open.spotify.com/track/433bK...b02612356b4916
                                                                                                I just logged on again for the first time in months I'd say to give this a double thumbs up. WP HJ.

Comment

The rouble is essentially unchanged against the dollar, despite the invasion and crippling sanctions, how does that make sense - forex markets are not for prediction - hence why you don't trade them. I'm not sure we want to over-interpret a countries economic prospects based on its relative currency performance.

The obvious reason why USD is so high anyway, is the signal of rapidly rising interest rates vs EUR having signalled they won't be doing that. Basic Fisher equation stuff. Find it hard to see the long-run benefits of that.
                                                                                                  The rouble market isn't an actual market.

The market still has faith in the US. Plenty of countries in bad situations have increased interest rates to shore up their currency with interest rate changes and it hasn't worked.
                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 29-04-22, 06:47.

Comment

Speaking of inflation . Tomorrow off to the heroic country that told the world to fk off financially speaking.

I iz excite .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                      Speaking of inflation . Tomorrow off to the heroic country that told the world to fk off financially speaking.

I iz excite .
                                                                                                      Auld geezer sees older geysers
                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Why the rouble recovered so well:

The ECB have signalled they will be raising rates - there are lots of structural reasons why both rates are lower in the EU and they are less nimble in moving them I'm sure you are aware of already.

Comment

They're bad eggs out in Clontarf

Comment

Why the rouble recovered so well:

The ECB have signalled they will be raising rates - there are lots of structural reasons why both rates are lower in the EU and they are less nimble in moving them I'm sure you are aware of already.
                                                                                                            The ECB isn't 'less nimble', they are just openly trying to protect the economy in addition to doing something about inflation. Lagarde, probably the most experienced central banker in the Western Hemisphere, was talking about it recently. Think they've only signalled one interest rate increase for this year for that reason.

Comment

Nuclear does have some obvious positives such a limited day to day emissions, but from a practical perspective it has a harder time Ramping up and down for variable demand and also it’s really only efficient at larger power plant sizes. For a country like Ireland I’m not sure it would be the best approach, maybe one baseload plant could be helpful. What would be ideal is the idea of distributed nuclear power where you have lots of 100MW plants dotted all around the country which allows you more freedom to encourage industrial development around the country. If we built a nuclear plant at todays size it would need to be in Dublin to be near demand or else you have massive power lines traversing the country to bring it there.

Comment

New AirBnB policy. Hopefully we see much more of this. Think Facebook did it recently too. It has never been shown to be true that rumour that a company becomes tax liable if an employee spends a bit of time in a foreign country (like less than 90 days, as in this policy). Actually, my wife is planning to find a new job, with the number one criteria being that it allows this flexibility. Seems a pity to be losing your top employees because you misinterpreted tax laws.

The company employs 444 Irish staff at its Ringsend headquarters in Dublin.

The chief executive officer of the short-term leasing company said employees can choose where they want to work and their pay will not change.

Brian Chesky said employees will have the flexibility to “live and work in 170 countries” for up to 90 days per year in each location.

“Companies will be at a significant disadvantage if they limit their talent pool to a commuting radius around their offices. The best people live everywhere.”

Comment

The ECB isn't 'less nimble', they are just openly trying to protect the economy in addition to doing something about inflation. Lagarde, probably the most experienced central banker in the Western Hemisphere, was talking about it recently. Think they've only signalled one interest rate increase for this year for that reason.
                                                                                                                  Another way of phrasing that is 'EU has abandoned their policy goal of price stability, signals that they don't care about inflation'.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                    They're bad eggs out in Clontarf

While obviously true, is there some context to this?

Comment

Eurozone inflation is lower, both now, and structurally. Employment in the EU is nowhere near max capacity as the states, (unemployment is double in the EU) so there is less of a pressing need for them to raise than in the US.

Added to that the Eurozone couldn't handle a lot of rake hikes, and Italy and Greece couldn't service their debt (they barely can now).

Both the FED and the ECB went through the 2008 crash similarly, but then the Eurozone had the sovereign debt crisis to contend with a few years later.

The EU is quite constrained in their choices if they want to keep the Euro together, and they have a lot more variables to consider, (19 Sovereign governments, 19 different economies etc, worse demographics, worse economies) hence them not being as nimble as the fed. It isn't out of some high minded European care for the common man.

Comment

While obviously true, is there some context to this?
                                                                                                                        Guessing it's this

FRgKJPNWQAA8xNo?format=jpg&amp;name=medium.jpg
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Gone sale agreed on that house in D1, a mere €95k over asking at €590k, so hopefully all goes well and I get into that bad boy.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X