X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
    Quick question.

I'm looking for an app (Android) that will allow me to scan or import receipts into an app and then output a detailed (dates etc) expense report in excel or something like that. Any recommendations?
    I use Dext - it's excellent - and it uploads to most mainstream accounting packages too Ilike XERO) , and takes downloads to excel. if the receipt is hard to OCR it gets transcribed in India very accurately with few corrections to make.

I imagine somebody saying, Oh look where Paul is now

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

He seems to have argued himself into some odd corner, that transpeople switching from male to female, are largely paedophiles looking to abuse girls in toilets.

Like CC, I blocked him ages ago, as it was too painful to watch.

You never want to see someone go full jbrav
      He has committed a thoughtcrime.

It is a minefield about which it seems impossible to have a sane conversation. As far as I can see there are two central controversies one about who can access women only spaces and the other about the level of scrutiny and assessment that is carried out before young people take irreversible chemical and physical interventions towards transitioning.
      I don't have any strong opinions on the former that is a discussion for women and feminism but I guess it can be resolved by physical infrastructure the latter is a complex debate that I know little about but would hope that there is good open honest and science based information available to anyone going down that road.
      I believe that anyone who denies biological reality is a fool and should have any of their opinions taken seriously by anyone. It seems to be an starting position for many who engage in debate and its probably worth figuring out if that where someone is coming from before engaging with them. It feels like JK Rowling is being harshly treated by those elements who are trying to have her cancelled, seems to me that the things she has actually said shouldn't be particularly offensive to anyone and don't seem to merit the vitriol aimed at her. There does seem to be a deep fear in the media of getting involved but that's going to be a problem when the consequences of thought crime are what happened to Linehan.

Two people I know that have had very different experiences. A super intelligent quiet introverted kid transitioned from female to male about finishing college age some years ago. As soon as I heard it was a case of 'oh yeah that makes sense' but their parents who are of a religious bent didn't see it like that and as far as I know their eldest child has been estranged and struggling with that ever since. Another lad I know mid to late 20's had a difficult time all the way through since early teens and after extensive counselling surprised everyone by announcing that he was going to transition to female and while that happened only a few months ago the the decision has so far been a life changer for the better in that they are happy and content for probably the first time since puberty. It feels like its going to work out great for them.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
        On the food theme. Enjoying finals week of Great British Menu after some under par regionals. Spencer is top class already getting the Fish and Mains for the main event and scored 40/40 for his dessert in hos regional he will be a busy man if he gets 3 dishes to the banquet.
        I watch this too (but am actually avoiding reading what you are saying about it cause i'm a bit behind)

I enjoy it but by god it must be the most pretentious show on television capped off by the presenter wan dressed to the nines in a different outfit every episode. She carries a little paper fan around with her that often matches the outfit

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I watch this too (but am actually avoiding reading what you are saying about it cause i'm a bit behind)

I enjoy it but by god it must be the most pretentious show on television capped off by the presenter wan dressed to the nines in a different outfit every episode. She carries a little paper fan around with her that often matches the outfit
          Not a fan of her at all. Ed Gamble is a decent addition to the judging table.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Not a fan of her at all. Ed Gamble is a decent addition to the judging table.
            Meh, while i know i just gave out about the pretentiousness of it I can't help but miss the pompousness of Matthew Fort.

The whole thing is so ridiculously OTT really.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Absolutley. She is a pain in the hole but the missus loves her so what do I know.

I miss the old judges too. Not a fan of either of the new ones tbh. I know Tom Kerridge won it twice and has multiple Michelin stars but just something about his style I find a little off putting but clearly knows what he is talking about. And the podcaster, well I'm not sure why hes there at all tbh.

Comment

Absolutley. She is a pain in the hole but the missus loves her so what do I know.

I miss the old judges too. Not a fan of either of the new ones tbh. I know Tom Kerridge won it twice and has multiple Michelin stars but just something about his style I find a little off putting but clearly knows what he is talking about. And the podcaster, well I'm not sure why hes there at all tbh.
                Because he runs one of the most popular food shows in the world?

Comment

I've been having this awful running argument with a guy I co-edit an academic journal with. Been going on for about six months now, and has descended into something outrageous. I was just sending him a 'piss off' email there, after he sent something new, and I was thinking that really I haven't paid even the slightest attention to this thing for the entire period of time. Was looking back through some of our past emails there, and they are shocking, and frequent. All manners of people dragged into the conversations, its not some isolated thing, its a big thing. But I've just been completely ignoring it. He will send something awful. I'll spend 5 seconds calling him a dickhead. And then immediately blank it from my life, until the next email arrives a week later. Isn't that a bit mad though? That a little part of my brain is having this raging long-term argument with someone, and it never occurs to me to think about it outside of the split-second it takes me to insult him back. Well, until now. And I see all his emails are long diatribes about me, so he must be surely taking it to heart as his cuntist Austrian upbringing would require him to. meh, just taking a moment of personal pride in my ability to compartmentalise.

Comment

If the exchange means so little to you who not admit you are being a dickhead and apologise . If anything it will put him out of kilter plus there is no harm in removing toxicity from your life.

Comment

I've been having this awful running argument with a guy I co-edit an academic journal with. Been going on for about six months now, and has descended into something outrageous. I was just sending him a 'piss off' email there, after he sent something new, and I was thinking that really I haven't paid even the slightest attention to this thing for the entire period of time. Was looking back through some of our past emails there, and they are shocking, and frequent. All manners of people dragged into the conversations, its not some isolated thing, its a big thing. But I've just been completely ignoring it. He will send something awful. I'll spend 5 seconds calling him a dickhead. And then immediately blank it from my life, until the next email arrives a week later. Isn't that a bit mad though? That a little part of my brain is having this raging long-term argument with someone, and it never occurs to me to think about it outside of the split-second it takes me to insult him back. Well, until now. And I see all his emails are long diatribes about me, so he must be surely taking it to heart as his cuntist Austrian upbringing would require him to. meh, just taking a moment of personal pride in my ability to compartmentalise.
                      Post one of his diatribes for the lols.
                      What’s the worst thing you’ve called him.

Comment

Will Smith 'FINALLY' files for divorce from that toxic wench. Hopefully redemption for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                          If the exchange means so little to you who not admit you are being a dickhead and apologise . If anything it will put him out of kilter plus there is no harm in removing toxicity from your life.
                          Maybe it wasn't clear. He is being the dickhead. I'm just helping him realise it.

Comment

Glinner is not wrong, just an asshole. The vociferous of the ideologues he's opposing is a big part of the reason he's so triggered, but it's also the way he is too. I like how Rowling is handling it tbh. A defter touch is certainly required. Glinner only knows how to go full retard.
                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                              Glinner is not wrong, just an asshole. The vociferous of the ideologues he's opposing is a big part of the reason he's so triggered, but it's also the way he is too. I like how Rowling is handling it tbh. A defter touch is certainly required. Glinner only knows how to go full retard.
                              I think all these types of debates are started as opium for the masses. You see it in Florida at the moment with the 'Don't Say Gay' Bill. With this, and with Di Santis, its probably not that the people creating these issues really care about them. They don't really think, as some former governor thought, that people are changing to female genders to use female bathrooms and abuse kids, but they know that its a distraction for people, and they can get on with their more meaningful plans around gathering economic wealth. Thats the problem with the likes of Glinner, its being patsies for distraction politics. Plus, its generally odious as a social argument to do what glinner is doing, which is to compare an entire group of people with gender issues, to their extreme minority of bad characters. This is a very misunderstood group and highlighting that extreme minority and allowing it to appear like that is a characteristic of the whole group is applying racist views (a few bad characters equals the whole ethnicity) to gender issues.

Comment

Moscow humour:

One Russian to another:

What’s the news?
                                —We’re at war with NATO!
                                How’s it going?
                                —We’ve lost 15,000 soldiers, 100 aircraft, and 600 tanks.
                                How about NATO?
                                —Oh, they haven’t started fighting yet.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

You wont get any she/her blue haired trans women on the front line in Ukraine.

These people have had fuck all conflict in their lives, real conflict...not I was yelled at by someone.
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                    You wont get any she/her blue haired trans women on the front line in Ukraine.

These people have had fuck all conflict in their lives, real conflict...not I was yelled at by someone.
                                    'I was triggered' used to mean 'someone shot at me'.

Comment

There is one theory doing the rounds that Putin remains a strategic genius and is actually after the huge Ukrainian offshore gas reserves in the south. And this is actually a massive heist more than anything else.

Although they won't be much good to him if Russia is totally embargoed from international markets so maybe not.

Comment

In retail you come across all sorts of attitudes. Generally most people are sound however you do have to deal with some right clunges at times.
                                        Had this one and her friend in the shop a few months back browsing around. Your typical "Hi there" type with the affected accent ..like a perfectly unassuming "so" becomes "soooooòoooo" with a kind of compression of the vowels
                                        It's actually kind of mesmerising how they do it "oooooooooooohhhhh" etc

Anyway she comes to the counter saying she bought a mask recently (a logoed fabric mask). Now on the card packaging there is a pictorial representation of a woman besporting said mask and in that picture the printed logo is centred on her cheek (I think it was a small picture of a dolphin,one on either side and maybe a few other places but in the picture theres 1 on both cheek area)
                                        Now her complaint was that on her (bucket) jaw the logo wasnt in the exact centre of the cheek ( of her massive head)and she wanted one that was in the centre of the cheek.
                                        ie- can I open packages take mask out of cellophane until she finds one she likes
                                        After a brief discussion with my good self she turns to her friend "ooooooohh Clara I'm not going to get a puuuuurfect one"

Nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          There is one theory doing the rounds that Putin remains a strategic genius and is actually after the huge Ukrainian offshore gas reserves in the south. And this is actually a massive heist more than anything else.

Although they won't be much good to him if Russia is totally embargoed from international markets so maybe not.
                                          That fits with the kind of guy he really is.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                              Beautiful

Comment

Most reserves of gas are going to remain untapped, unsold. We've a few decades left of abundant gas and oil demand, max, and then we'll be handing out oil and gas fields as free rewards for getting an A on a kindergarten exam. Known as the carbon bubble. Food production, on the other hand, is going to be a massive future strategic asset, as climate change makes vast swathes of current agri-land unworkable. That might be some of the thinking. Famously, it is predicted that Siberia (this link is a nice well-rounded link about the opportunities and challenges) will become the food basket of the world. Combine that with Ukrainian production, which is reasonably unlikely to be affected by climate change, and you have the next global strategic powerhouse.

Comment

Those UK (and probably Irish) covid numbers are mad. 1 in 13 people in England caught covid last week.

Comment

Most reserves of gas are going to remain untapped, unsold. We've a few decades left of abundant gas and oil demand, max, and then we'll be handing out oil and gas fields as free rewards for getting an A on a kindergarten exam. Known as the carbon bubble. Food production, on the other hand, is going to be a massive future strategic asset, as climate change makes vast swathes of current agri-land unworkable. That might be some of the thinking. Famously, it is predicted that Siberia (this link is a nice well-rounded link about the opportunities and challenges) will become the food basket of the world. Combine that with Ukrainian production, which is reasonably unlikely to be affected by climate change, and you have the next global strategic powerhouse.
                                                    Has Vlad factored in rising Gluton intolerance be it real or imaginary into his wheat monopoly calculations?

Comment

Because he runs one of the most popular food shows in the world?
                                                      Yet adds absolutely nothing to the conversation at judging. A few times Kerridge has said that props dont make a good dish great and yer mans reply was just yes it does and laughter. He hasnt offered a counter opinion on anything yet. Pointless having him there.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Has Vlad factored in rising Gluton intolerance be it real or imaginary into his wheat monopoly calculations?
                                                        I think he's quite opposed to the woke movement of gluten fluidity.

Relevant video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=572867579940811

Comment

Those UK (and probably Irish) covid numbers are mad. 1 in 13 people in England caught covid last week.
                                                          That seems way too high. Feel like you might be misplacing a decimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                            That seems way too high. Feel like you might be misplacing a decimal.
                                                            oh you poor sheltered antipodeans. Nope, gods honest truth. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-says-12579508

Comment

Definitely feels like 1 in every 13 are getting COVID in recent times, it's just utterly rampant everywhere.

Comment

You are making a classic investment flaw of talking about current knowledge, and history, as if it isn't already priced into stocks.

Historical data suggests that countries transition to democracy after a certain income level. China is already quite democratic at the local level, so it isn't fundamentally 'against' democracy - the CCP sees its benefits, a bit. There's no reason to think they won't also transition to full democracy. Like their neighbours - South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore.

And then imagine the stock market premium?

Investment is about the future, not the past.

Political risk is already priced into Asian stocks due to 'stranger danger' bias by Western investors. I wonder is political risk priced into Western stocks in the same way? We are essentially going to witness, over the next decade, nearly all European + US national debts rising towards 200% of GDP, then some tough decisions having to be made. As we have seen in the US and in Italy, Spain, Greece, is that tough decisions lead to extremist politicians. We face far more political risk, not yet priced in, that Asian stocks. Asian stocks are priced already highly aware of political risk.

Very late to this but the bolded parts above are very LOL!

Comment

oh you poor sheltered antipodeans. Nope, gods honest truth. https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...-says-12579508
                                                                  Seems drastically different to the test results. ~500k vrs ~5m
                                                                  Obvious actual cases are higher than positive tests. But 10x higher is basically an order of magnitude more.

This is the source data. Haven’t read fully it as I’m in the pub. But it’s probably worth noting that people likely to test positive on a given day isn’t the same as catching covid on that day. But that would only explain 2x-2.5x at a guess.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...ited%20Kingdom
                                                                  Last edited by Mellor; 01-04-22, 13:50.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                    Definitely feels like 1 in every 13 are getting COVID in recent times, it's just utterly rampant everywhere.
                                                                    The public health dudes were saying they think it has peaked, so might start going down the other side of the cliff soon in terms of the obvious metrics

Comment

Yay, I tested positive at lunchtime. When someone as anti-social as me gets it, then the fucker is definitely rampant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Very late to this but the bolded parts above are very LOL!
                                                                        Very brave of you to posit that the long-established Lipset's Law (that democracy reasonably follows rises in income levels) is a hoax, and on a Friday afternoon too. Is this a product of much analysis on your part? Maybe you can propose your LaoLao Law that counteracts the widespread evidence in support of Lipset's Law.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Seems drastically different to the test results. ~500k vrs ~5m
                                                                          Obvious actual cases are higher than positive tests. But 10x higher is basically an order of magnitude more.

This is the source data. Haven’t read fully it as I’m in the pub. But it’s probably worth noting that people likely to test positive on a given day isn’t the same as catching covid on that day. But that would only explain 2x-2.5x at a guess.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deta...ited%20Kingdom
                                                                          I'm not even sure we are testing people any more, nor the UK. So, I don't know how there are 500k test results. Maybe that's just medical cases, as you have to be tested to get into medical facilities. Think we've shut down nearly all the testing places at this stage. So the 5m would probably be more accurate.

Comment

China has local elections, just no national elections. Hence why I said it is quite democratic at the local level. Obviously, you have to be a CCP member to be eligible, so its constrained by the overall dictatorship, but there is competition within those local elections between candidates and there are 95m members of the CCP.

There are a few hundred thousand recorded local protests in China every year, and they are reasonably tolerated, and the ability to petition up the ladder at poor local decision making. The rationale behind this is to keep people as happy as possible at the local level, so they don't get antsy towards having democracy at the higher level.

The idea that the answer is 'LOL!' to a statement that it is quite democractic at the local level, is just your own lack of understanding. Or maybe you are confusing national and local politics. Or maybe thinking that our purer form of local democracy is the same as 'quite democratic'.

Comment

China has local elections, just no national elections. Hence why I said it is quite democratic at the local level. Obviously, you have to be a CCP member to be eligible, so its constrained by the overall dictatorship, but there is competition within those local elections between candidates and there are 95m members of the CCP.

There are a few hundred thousand recorded local protests in China every year, and they are reasonably tolerated, and the ability to petition up the ladder at poor local decision making. The rationale behind this is to keep people as happy as possible at the local level, so they don't get antsy towards having democracy at the higher level.

The idea that the answer is 'LOL!' to a statement that it is quite democractic at the local level, is just your own lack of understanding. Or maybe you are confusing national and local politics. Or maybe thinking that our purer form of local democracy is the same as 'quite democratic'.
                                                                              So local elections are 'quite democratic', but only candidates from one single party are allowed to run. Got it.

Comment

"The competitive nature of the elections is highly constrained by the Communist Party's monopoly on power in China, limitations on free speech, and government interference with the elections.[10][11] According to Rory Truex, "the CCP tightly controls the nomination and election processes at every level in the people's congress system... the tiered, indirect electoral mechanism in the People's Congress system ensures that deputies at the highest levels face no semblance of electoral accountability to the Chinese citizenry."

There was famously one guy who tried to stand for election without being nominated by the CCP

"In 2006, a former China Central Television (CCTV) legal affairs correspondent Zhu Ling, write a biography of Yao Lifa named I object—the Road to Politics by a People's Congress Deputy. Based on three years of research, the book chronicles peasant-turned-teacher-turned-activist Yao Lifa's 12-year struggle to run for a seat on a county legislature in Hubei province. This book was banned in 2007 with 7 other books to the fact that his dogged persistence in promoting open and fair elections had incurred the wrath of the Central Propaganda Department."

Comment

Very brave of you to posit that the long-established Lipset's Law (that democracy reasonably follows rises in income levels) is a hoax, and on a Friday afternoon too. Is this a product of much analysis on your part? Maybe you can propose your LaoLao Law that counteracts the widespread evidence in support of Lipset's Law.

Give me your top 5 ways in which China is already quite democratic at a local level?

Comment

The people of Hong Kong are on line 3 and want to have a word with on this bit...

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Give me your top 5 ways in which China is already quite democratic at a local level?
                                                                                      The best bit is how he uses the terms 'quite democratic' and 'the overall dictatorship' in the same paragraph.

Not even the Chinese pretend to have any semblance of democracy. I'm not sure why Hitch feels the need to pretend on their behalf.

Comment

I'm not even sure we are testing people any more, nor the UK. So, I don't know how there are 500k test results. Maybe that's just medical cases, as you have to be tested to get into medical facilities. Think we've shut down nearly all the testing places at this stage. So the 5m would probably be more accurate.
                                                                                        There’s obvious a disparity between people who have covid and people getting tested. But I think your missing the point. Those stats aren’t saying what you claim they are saying. 1in13 is people who are estimated to test positive at any point over the week. Not people who caught it that week.

I wonder how high the incidences need to get for covid to immunise itself.

Comment

Yet adds absolutely nothing to the conversation at judging. A few times Kerridge has said that props dont make a good dish great and yer mans reply was just yes it does and laughter. He hasnt offered a counter opinion on anything yet. Pointless having him there.
                                                                                          Yep, just there to appeal to the hip, young, cool.... eh cookery crowd.

Comment

So local elections are 'quite democratic', but only candidates from one single party are allowed to run. Got it.
                                                                                            It is quite nice to hear that the autocracy is very democratic at heart in fairness.

Comment

Saw this today:

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                Yay, I tested positive at lunchtime. When someone as anti-social as me gets it, then the fucker is definitely rampant.
                                                                                                Still a unicorn
                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

^^^^^^

NFT Market

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Still a unicorn
                                                                                                    I feel like I've got 'something'. The lateral flow tests still coming through negative!
                                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                      Saw this today:

Is there an equivalent table on the best 20 year returns?

Comment

The best bit is how he uses the terms 'quite democratic' and 'the overall dictatorship' in the same paragraph.

Not even the Chinese pretend to have any semblance of democracy. I'm not sure why Hitch feels the need to pretend on their behalf.
                                                                                                        I don't think its all that difficult a concept

It doesn't change that its overall a dictatorship, as I said. Just that the dictatorship has decided that there is some value in local representation and accountability, within the limits of their system.

This is a clear positive, as it allows the national party to 'test out' democracy at a level that doesn't run much risk to them. And also suggests the leaders are not fundamentally opposed to the idea of democracy.

It takes countries quite a while to transition to democracy. South Korea, despite being set up as a nominal democracy by the US post-WWII, took 40 years to fully transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                          ^^^^^^

NFT Market

FOhqFfIXMAEyz5j?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I don't think its all that difficult a concept

It doesn't change that its overall a dictatorship, as I said. Just that the dictatorship has decided that there is some value in local representation and accountability, within the limits of their system.

This is a clear positive, as it allows the national party to 'test out' democracy at a level that doesn't run much risk to them. And also suggests the leaders are not fundamentally opposed to the idea of democracy.

It takes countries quite a while to transition to democracy. South Korea, despite being set up as a nominal democracy by the US post-WWII, took 40 years to fully transition.
                                                                                                            Yep. A one-party 'democracy'.

April Fools traditionally ends at midday.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

Quick update to this. I managed to get an expedited appointment for April 11th (when I'm still out of the country) and the original date that would've worked was cancelled. I rang the embassy trying to get a date sorted (person wasn't very helpful and even though that date wasn't available when I was selecting it was my fault) got an email address to email somebody about my situation to try get it figured out. Happened to be on the website the following morning checking something else and see there was now a new date for later in April when I'm in the country which suits. Hopefully it all goes smooth from now and I'll be in Vegas for the 2022 WSOP.
                                                                                                              Living the life Danny.
                                                                                                              Married but with a cast iron excuse for attending the WSOP every year.
                                                                                                              WP sir, WP.

Comment

Comment

Can't wait to get away next week. Fecking exhausted. It's been a long few months in this new job. There might be such a thing as too much work.

Comment

Is there an equivalent table on the best 20 year returns?
                                                                                                                    I posted it in a reply to you one page back

Comment

Not a paid advert as hamstrung till tuesday but any of u donkeys who aren't in Citywest plunging the 30 tables of Norwegian goodiness 24/7 need not speak about gardens, crypto or Chinese growth ever again because your opinion is absolutely and completely redundant

Comment

Can't wait to get away next week. Fecking exhausted. It's been a long few months in this new job. There might be such a thing as too much work.
                                                                                                                        Did you not say you rarely rise before 9am?

I set my alarm for 9am a couple of weeks ago in that hotel, and of all the myriad luxuries of those two days that was up at the top.
                                                                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Much to my surprise, the flower bed is level.

Or, more likely, my spiritlevel is banjaxed.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X