X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    Yeah, Austin sounds like a great spot.

Would really love to visit New Orleans too, doubt I'd want to live there though.
    Austin in Sept maybe .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I haven't been to that many cities in the US. At least in the last 20 years anyway where any trip I've made has been either New York or Vegas.
      Would have thought NY, Chicago, Boston, Houston, Washington, San Fran, Seattle.

But I'm sure there's loads of others that would be potentially great if only I knew more about them or had visited them. Austin sounds wonderful for example.
      Seattle is average i wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The rest mentioned San Fran is EPIC . Washington ok . NY 1 SAN FRAN 2 in thar order. Chicago is a scary place but great. Philly was great.Boston is dead after 10pm . Going back a bit here though. Lived in Seattle a few months met the real life Rocky Racoon who did NOT like me. Savage yoke. San Antonio is nice but nothing that grest outside River Walk area.

New York wins it all.

Comment

Would it be worth doing a course or 2 in Cyber security. Looks fascinating . Not thinking of money ,career etc just doing something interesting .

Comment

Speaking of which, how is my giant game of jenga looking - Mellor, Micknail ? They are just sitting on each other, no brackets yet or set in the ground but is this a better design with 60cm sitting on top of 70cm on the sides and more offset on top?

20220330_115155_1.jpg
          It looks minor, but that’s a much better layout. Anytime you avoid lining up joints you add significant strength

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
            Would it be worth doing a course or 2 in Cyber security. Looks fascinating . Not thinking of money ,career etc just doing something interesting .
            Micknail is your man to ask.

I would say yes, definitely do it if you're interested and have nothing else to take up your time. Note that you will need to do some coding/scripting as part of the course (pen-testing). Dunno if that would put you off though. I believe I saw your LinkedIn at some point and you have done data analytics so I'd say you're well covered for the basic skills.

Reading about cyber security stories, theories and breaches can be fascinating but the actual work is much more mundane for the most part. Routine checks and lots of compliance-related stuff. The sexy-sounding stuff around pen-testing and figuring out malware/threats is for the real uber-nerds imo.

I've had a colleague who consults now mention several times that plenty of cyber security engineers are transitioning back to other IT roles after a few years due to the on-call and roster nature of the gig. Plus some added stress of late. Purely anecdotal but Mick would be way better positioned to comment.

Comment

Seattle is average i wouldn't necessarily recommend it. The rest mentioned San Fran is EPIC . Washington ok . NY 1 SAN FRAN 2 in thar order. Chicago is a scary place but great. Philly was great.Boston is dead after 10pm . Going back a bit here though. Lived in Seattle a few months met the real life Rocky Racoon who did NOT like me. Savage yoke. San Antonio is nice but nothing that grest outside River Walk area.

New York wins it all.
              Don't know why but I never really liked NY that much... Everytime I am there I am happy to leave after 2 days .

For me San Fran is the best. However I will always have a soft spot for LA and think it is the perfect location as there are so many interesting towns within easy reach of it. Chicago is pretty cool also.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It looks minor, but that’s a much better layout. Anytime you avoid lining up joints you add significant strength
                <will blame Mellor and Micknail when it falls over>
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Jesus ye are far overselling my skills CC,
                  I basically fell into this role. Which is scary when you think about it

Security course is worth doing if you are interested, especially if you already have a basic understanding or IT background.

I mean, get a sub to pluralsight or cbtnuggets and even gawk at the chapters of a course that take your interest. (Or cousins will have a few relevant ones too that should satisfy the curiosity).
                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Don't know why but I never really liked NY that much... Everytime I am there I am happy to leave after 2 days .
                    I kind of miss the guys jerking off on the subway. Sometimes wonder of it's happening as frequently on the luas, and I'm just not as observant as I used to be.
                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

For me San Fran is the best. However I will always have a soft spot for LA and think it is the perfect location as there are so many interesting towns within easy reach of it. Chicago is pretty cool also.
                      I'm the same with NY, mind you only visited once but have never felt the urge to go back again. Same with Orlando, whereas I could go to Vegas or NOLA every year or even twice a year and not feel it was overdone.
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I would say yes, definitely do it if you're interested and have nothing else to take up your time. Note that you will need to do some coding/scripting as part of the course (pen-testing). Dunno if that would put you off though. I believe I saw your LinkedIn at some point and you have done data analytics so I'd say you're well covered for the basic skills.

Reading about cyber security stories, theories and breaches can be fascinating but the actual work is much more mundane for the most part. Routine checks and lots of compliance-related stuff. The sexy-sounding stuff around pen-testing and figuring out malware/threats is for the real uber-nerds imo.

I've had a colleague who consults now mention several times that plenty of cyber security engineers are transitioning back to other IT roles after a few years due to the on-call and roster nature of the gig. Plus some added stress of late. Purely anecdotal but Mick would be way better positioned to comment.
                        My place payed a small fortune for pen testing and the team basically ran pre packaged Kali bundles.
                        But as you said, complience docs and spiceworks/powershell ad stuff is 90% of the day to day once they are done
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I was in San Francisco 2.5 years ago and it was absolutely shocking bad with homelessness and drugs. It was like they've given up trying. By all accounts it's twice as bad now between the fentanyl and the pandemic.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I think if I was only allowed to visit one place outside of home for the rest of my days it would be Manhattan. All human life is there.

Comment

Any Bucharest places to eat/things to do? Gonna be there in a couple of weeks
                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                I think if I was only allowed to visit one place outside of home for the rest of my days it would be Manhattan. All human life is there.
                                Ventry

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Ventry
                                  More fun to name the place you would nuke if given the option.

Comment

Jaysus I love NYC, so good. I feel I'd be done in Vegas after a day.

Comment

Talking of Vegas, what do we think of an F1 race down the strip from next season.
                                      My first thought was that such a massive wide boulevard would be epic for racing. But thinking about I'd say they'll only use one side of the road as I can't see them getting rid of the central reservation.
                                      So it'll probably just be visually stunning but ultimately boring much like Monaco.
                                      Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 31-03-22, 16:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Ventry
                                        That comes under the umbrella of home

Comment

Austin is a great city to visit, music, food, bats, dancing. Looking forward to getting there again, going to use it as a starting point for a road trip across the border country and back up the coast towards SanFran.

Would like to do it next year but probably better to wait until Trumpism is a repressed shameful memory.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                            I was in San Francisco 2.5 years ago and it was absolutely shocking bad with homelessness and drugs. It was like they've given up trying. By all accounts it's twice as bad now between the fentanyl and the pandemic.
                                            It's more salient in California because most of the homeless there sleep rough unlike elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Thanks Colin and Mick. Hmm maybe I'll take a look next week. I maybe down tools for another week. Might need to brush up my IT skills . I'm novicey at best .

Comment

Its interesting the difference in views on US Cities . I hated LA .

I had 2 Zen moments over in the US . One was at 5pm on a Friday in a Greewich village Jazz Bar. Was there alone as i didnt want to go to a funeral home of a dead guy i didnt know. Some huge black guy told me ALL about Duke Ellington. I was never really a knowledgeable fan but this guy was and played track after track on the jukebox. Really enjoyed the few hours and the passionate commentary.

The 2nd time was in a small town Comfort outside San An. A through the night camp firside guitar wanker fest with some proper talent. . Loved it . 1st time i heard pamcho and leftie. I retired to bed at sunrise as they started getting thick about politics and the vibe was diluting. Im easily pleased i guess. 2 standouts for me.

Sure fire away lads on yer US zen moments .

Comment

More fun to name the place you would nuke if given the option.
                                                  Beverly Hills .

Comment

Beverly Hills .
                                                    I was thinking Longford myself

Comment

I was thinking Longford myself
                                                      Someone has already nuked Edgeworthstown.

Comment

Just reminds me of how NYC was like a sketch, everybody in suits with airpods talking on their phones at all times, everybody shouting at the top of their lungs as their normal conversational level. Crazy shit happening everywhere, nobody even looking at insane people screaming as if they don't exist. Rich women in dog parks that clearly haven't worked a day in their lives. The poverty and wealth in any one glance being absurdly far apart. The news being about a baby being found dead in a dumpster as if a normal occurrence between all the medical and legal ads. It goes on and on.

Comment

Any thoughts here on Graham Linehan's recent bit? I know I stopped following him on twitter before he was banned. Just generally think he's let a pretty insignificant issue (to me anyway) take over his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                            Just reminds me of how NYC was like a sketch, everybody in suits with airpods talking on their phones at all times, everybody shouting at the top of their lungs as their normal conversational level. Crazy shit happening everywhere, nobody even looking at insane people screaming as if they don't exist. Rich women in dog parks that clearly haven't worked a day in their lives. The poverty and wealth in any one glance being absurdly far apart. The news being about a baby being found dead in a dumpster as if a normal occurrence between all the medical and legal ads. It goes on and on.
                                                            Was in a car back seat one time in Queens . Woman runs in front of the car. Gets a BEEP BEEP . The front two seats and the women all shout CUNT at the same time. I laughed for minutes.

Comment

Looks like Hazel is going to lose another election, although its not certain yet. Seems to be making a fine habit of losing. Glad to have done my bit.
                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Looks like Hazel is going to lose another election, although its not certain yet. Seems to be making a fine habit of losing. Glad to have done my bit.
                                                                Was surprised Bacik hadn't quit her trinners job after getting the TD one.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

My place payed a small fortune for pen testing and the team basically ran pre packaged Kali bundles.
                                                                  But as you said, complience docs and spiceworks/powershell ad stuff is 90% of the day to day once they are done
                                                                  I remember there was a pen-tester in to break everything possible in a previous gig (standard windows domain and various apps/SLQ & oracle db). A couple of hours and he was basically done. I remember him turning to me. Does your boss want me to write to the production DB or create a new domain admin or change firewall rules?

As you said a lot of the pen-testing stuff is run of the mill script/bundles that work in most settings where companies rarely have best practices implemented. The engineer gave me the link to the course he did - 1 month of study was required to achieve the certification for an instant 2x salary at that time. The test for the cert was a cool concept, 24 hours to break through a fairly standard windows domain with a few vlans and DMZ plus a few ports or surfaces that could be jabbed. The real cool stuff goes on in bigger shops, particularly with high-value targets (think finance, tech etc). Money for the guys in those roles is $$$$ but it reflects the skills.

Solksjaer! - Mick had a very good point about testing the waters. Find out the course modules or subjects and hop onto youtube to get a feel of what they contain. The training sites would have content relevant to your course. That said it would be geared more towards being hands-on/practical to achieve a professional certification vs more theory-based for a 3rd level qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                    Any thoughts here on Graham Linehan's recent bit? I know I stopped following him on twitter before he was banned. Just generally think he's let a pretty insignificant issue (to me anyway) take over his life.
                                                                    Yeah, it just seems really sad that he's let such a nonsensical issue become an obsession.
                                                                    There must come a point where you see that having a view is costing you the best 30 years of your earning potential, destroying your marriage, getting you police cautions - and decide to back away as it's surely not a hill worth dying on. But he just wasn't able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Yeah, it just seems really sad that he's let such a nonsensical issue become an obsession.
                                                                      There must come a point where you see that having a view is costing you the best 30 years of your earning potential, destroying your marriage, getting you police cautions - and decide to back away as it's surely not a hill worth dying on. But he just wasn't able to do it.
                                                                      Seems like it was more than just a principled viewpoint. I just Googled there...

The suspension came after Linehan responded to a Women’s Institute post wishing a happy pride to all of their transgender members with: “Men aren’t women tho.”

After creating a new account under the guise of a trans man, Linehan was again suspended.

Then, last year, Linehan created a fake account on the lesbian dating app Her and publicly posted screenshots from the app of users which were non-binary and trans women to his blog, stating that they should not be allowed on the app because they “are not lesbians”.

Comment

I see the rouble has recovered nearly all its losses from the start of the war. Financial markets maybe assuming that sanctions will be temporary?

Comment

I see the rouble has recovered nearly all its losses from the start of the war. Financial markets maybe assuming that sanctions will be temporary?
                                                                          More like massive monetary support from the RCB

Comment

Would Putin announcing that Russian oil/gas must be paid for in Roubles have anything to do with it? Would expect some uplift after that surely

Comment

Was out for lunch with two likely lads today, who finished up the lunch by noting how they had both independently gone deep into buying uranium futures as soon as the war started.

And all our time on here delighting in the rouble falling, and none of the time wondering if it was time to buy it.

We clearly devoted too much space at the beginning of the war thinking about the war, and not enough to thinking about the profit opportunities.
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 31-03-22, 19:09.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Would Putin announcing that Russian oil/gas must be paid for in Roubles have anything to do with it? Would expect some uplift after that surely
                                                                                I guess that should have a decent impact. Although it (was) a $1.4 trillion dollar economy before all this happened, so surely a few billion in eurozone purchases of roubles wouldn't have a massive impact.

It seems there was a bit of an over-reaction at the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Ah, that's just playing to the cameras and the idiots back home.

The Europeans are paying in the same currency (EUR, USD) they've always paid in and Gazprom Bank are then converting to roubles. Thus enabling the bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

What was the 'view'?

Some mad conspiracy stuff

Comment

What was the 'view'?

Some mad conspiracy stuff
                                                                                      He seems to have argued himself into some odd corner, that transpeople switching from male to female, are largely paedophiles looking to abuse girls in toilets.

Like CC, I blocked him ages ago, as it was too painful to watch.

You never want to see someone go full jbrav

Comment

Ah, that's just playing to the cameras and the idiots back home.

The Europeans are paying in the same currency (EUR, USD) they've always paid in and Gazprom Bank are then converting to roubles. Thus enabling the bullshit.
                                                                                        Yeah, I didn't really get that. Surely it can't make any difference either way, as fundamentally the foreign currency is supporting the domestic currency in both circumstances. In one, through buying roubles directly (the current proposal), and in the other through giving foreign currency that can then be used by Russia to spend buying their domestic currency (the standard approach).

Comment

Racist pig
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Was out for lunch with two likely lads today, who finished up the lunch by noting how they had both independently gone deep into buying uranium futures as soon as the war started.

And all our time on here delighting in the rouble falling, and none of the time wondering if it was time to buy it.

We clearly devoted too much space at the beginning of the war thinking about the war, and not enough to thinking about the profit opportunities.
                                                                                            Nevermind that war shite, what did ya have?
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Yeah, I didn't really get that. Surely it can't make any difference either way, as fundamentally the foreign currency is supporting the domestic currency in both circumstances. In one, through buying roubles directly (the current proposal), and in the other through giving foreign currency that can then be used by Russia to spend buying their domestic currency (the standard approach).
                                                                                              I think it was really from the propping up the RUB side (Denny can explain better), i.e. create some artificial demand on the buy side

Comment

He seems to have argued himself into some odd corner, that transpeople switching from male to female, are largely paedophiles looking to abuse girls in toilets.

Like CC, I blocked him ages ago, as it was too painful to watch.

You never want to see someone go full jbrav
                                                                                                I've tried to not get in to the debate. Like I feel like a bit of a perv sharing changing rooms with men. Though in general showers in gyms and swimming pools have been more individual than they used to be.

Comment

Screenshot-20220331-202319.png
                                                                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Nevermind that war shite, what did ya have?
                                                                                                    A madly spicy braised beef dish from this very-dodgy-from-the-exterior fine establishment: http://mlchineserestaurant.com/

Stomach hasn't been the same ever since, but wowsers it was amazing.

Comment

A madly spicy braised beef dish from this very-dodgy-from-the-exterior fine establishment: http://mlchineserestaurant.com/

I've only ever had the dumplings there, must go back
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Supposed to be able to see northern lights tonight from midnight.
                                                                                                        Look North.

This too shall pass.

Comment

That's one of the places my Chinese colleague (President Xi) likes to take us to. The other one is on Capel St and has no outward signs to indicate it is in fact a restaurant spread over several floors.

Comment

I think it was really from the propping up the RUB side (Denny can explain better), i.e. create some artificial demand on the buy side
                                                                                                            20% interest rates will do it too.

It hasn't been possible to buy the RUB on a lot of brokers since the war.

Comment

That's one of the places my Chinese colleague (President Xi) likes to take us to. The other one is on Capel St and has no outward signs to indicate it is in fact a restaurant spread over several floors.
                                                                                                              Rough location of the capel st spot?

There's also supposed to be class Asian food(unsure of where in Asia) in the back of a shop passed where the original boojum was on millennium lane or whatever they call that. Keep meaning to try but I think it's one of these where us white plebs won't get the good stuff as we don't know what to order
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

A smashing boozer right across the road from that called Brannigans. Great spot to hide away for a few hours and has a quiet, cosy upstairs

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Rough location of the capel st spot?

There's also supposed to be class Asian food(unsure of where in Asia) in the back of a shop passed where the original boojum was on millennium lane or whatever they call that. Keep meaning to try but I think it's one of these where us white plebs won't get the good stuff as we don't know what to order
                                                                                                                  Definitely the far end of the street, away from the river. Pretty sure we had to walk through a shop, go through one building and into another although there was drink taken.

We were the only non-Chinese there for sure.

Comment

On the food theme. Enjoying finals week of Great British Menu after some under par regionals. Spencer is top class already getting the Fish and Mains for the main event and scored 40/40 for his dessert in hos regional he will be a busy man if he gets 3 dishes to the banquet.

Comment

Definitely the far end of the street, away from the river. Pretty sure we had to walk through a shop, go through one building and into another although there was drink taken.

There were a few all-night bar spots running around that area pre-covid.

Comment

Some good ones here in this thread on best nicknames

https://www.reddit.com/r/northernire...dyr/nicknames/
                                                                                                                        I heard a story about a certain recently deceased elderly gentleman, the one who had his 15 minutes of fame after a post mortem excursion to the local post office, that he had grown up with some well founded doubts about his parentage in that his mother was believed to be a bit too close to her husbands brother. Apparently he was known to all the locals as 'The Man From Uncle'

70157182.jpg
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 31-03-22, 21:44.
                                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Reminds me of going to after hour parties in the basement of some dodgy asian resteraunts in what seems like many years ago
                                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X