This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    On the car servicing tangent, there's some dodgy looking car park near the Odeon on Parnell Street where they wash, shine, valet inside your car, for a mere €25 smackaroonies. An unbeatable cash-in-hand deal that I've seen mainly offered for twice that elsewhere.
    They seem standard in Dublin from the few city centre car parks I've been in. Usually around the entrance somewhere and a load of spaces reserved for them. Leave your car, pop off to do stuff, collect. Decent business idea tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

They seem standard in Dublin from the few city centre car parks I've been in. Usually around the entrance somewhere and a load of spaces reserved for them. Leave your car, pop off to do stuff, collect. Decent business idea tbf.
      Yeah - but valeting the inside normally pops the cost up towards €50+. I was just amazed with the price of this one, €25 for everything inside and out.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Very ominous noises off stage in and around Ukraine tonight. The Russians have closed and evacuated their embassy and there are reports of heavy armour moving towards the border.

And, of course, the bullshit pretext:
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I think I'm vain enough to want to dye my individual grey hairs, without wanting to dye my whole mainly spectacular crop of head-hair. Where do I go to get that done? I remember chatting away to the lady who was doing the daughters yearly haircut in Peter Marks and she mentioned that women have it done all the time. But where do men go for that? I hid it in a joke to my regular hairdresser recently 'I suppose there must be some awfully sad saps who get their grey hairs dyed in here, what are they like', and he responded 'no', so I need to find the place that the sad saps go to.

Comment

I think I'm vain enough to want to dye my individual grey hairs, without wanting to dye my whole mainly spectacular crop of head-hair. Where do I go to get that done? I remember chatting away to the lady who was doing the daughters yearly haircut in Peter Marks and she mentioned that women have it done all the time. But where do men go for that? I hid it in a joke to my regular hairdresser recently 'I suppose there must be some awfully sad saps who get their grey hairs dyed in here, what are they like', and he responded 'no', so I need to find the place that the sad saps go to.
            Looks like the answer is in your post, Peter Marks.

Comment

I was under the impression they only really do women.

Comment

I was under the impression they only really do women.
                I'm bald. So I've no idea. Could always ask. In this day of equality everywhere I dont see why they wouldnt throw a few highlights in your hair.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

I had another interview for a job I did get and it was 2 stages of tech questions. First one was basically do you know some basic principles of email/dns because all of the applicants had lied and couldn't tell their arse from their elbow. The actual interview was genuinely them reading from an excel sheet of what port is smtp, what port is DNS, plus a bunch of stuff about VMs etc all one word answers. I spent 6 months there babysitting backups, rebooting servers and getting Dell to change failed disks in the data centre. Boring but worked out well as I went back to my old job for a promotion and decent uplift in the end.
                  Tests based on memorising a load of facts, including school and uni exams, are so redundant when you can use Google and get an accurate answer is seconds. The lag between education systems and the information age is lamentable.

All tests these days should be open book, with internet and calculator etc. It should be about being able to source and get creative with pertinent information resources, like those codeathon things or being asked to defend a tenuous position in a debate, or make a short movie or something. The Apprentice show is kinda on the right track.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I think thats where most business schools are going now. Most exams now gone. Hackathons, loads of work experiences, simulations, bootcamps. Its very much going in that direction very quickly.

Comment

Its the fucking schooling system is the problem. Still teaching to pointless exams, so the entirety of second level is geared towards being a robot, and then they come into first year with this fucked up mindset of what education is. Although business schools are very different to some other faculties. I was on a call to someone running a different faculty recently and they were saying it wasn't their job to ensure their courses were suitable for people getting jobs, it was just their job to educate them and then it was up to student to work out how to translate that to employment skills. I shit you not. This wasn't some bullshit faculty either, it was something like the entire science faculty.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Tests based on memorising a load of facts, including school and uni exams, are so redundant when you can use Google and get an accurate answer is seconds. The lag between education systems and the information age is lamentable.

All tests these days should be open book, with internet and calculator etc. It should be about being able to source and get creative with pertinent information resources, like those codeathon things or being asked to defend a tenuous position in a debate, or make a short movie or something. The Apprentice show is kinda on the right track.

Continuous assessment in college has been a dream. I struggled with memory tests in school and it played a part in me dropping out at 15. Now I'm in college and nailing it cos it's all essays and projects I can research and get done in my own time. I've even had a few A grades which was unheard of in my school days.

Junior cert/leaving cert are pure pony at this stage. No reason why school kids cant do essays and projects over the course of the 2 or 3 year cycle that all contributes to their grade at the end.

Comment

The sad thing is, and its not on you, its the system, is that a few years into being a teacher you'll be fervently in favour of exams as its the easier option. But, as you are currently experiencing, universities are their own level of crapology when it comes to bureaucracy and things like that.

Comment

Whatever happened to the once-popular claim, including on here, that China had manufactured covid? It seems to have vanished as soon as Trump vanished.

Comment

Whatever happened to the once-popular claim, including on here, that China had manufactured covid? It seems to have vanished as soon as Trump vanished.
                              Don't think that it was ever a claim here.
                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The sad thing is, and its not on you, its the system, is that a few years into being a teacher you'll be fervently in favour of exams as its the easier option. But, as you are currently experiencing, universities are their own level of crapology when it comes to bureaucracy and things like that.
                                I've already been thinking about that for when I'm eventually teaching.

I'll be making their homework essays on a particular topic that will be on the exam. So if they get used to writing it for homework, hopefully they remember enough to write down during the exam itself.

I realise I'll only be teaching 2 subjects, but if it helps students in even a small way, it'll be worth it. Their homework will actually mean fuck all but if they do enough I'd hope some of it will stick.

No idea if that will work but my idea is it will be better than the way I was taught which was just learning off facts and dates etc

Comment

Uh oh
                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                    Uh oh
                                    Yep.

Comment

So will real sanctions be implemented now and how long can he hold out against them given hes been preparing for years for this.

What if he takes a fancy to another piece of land.

B2B energy prices are 2.5x since times since last year with
                                      medium business user gas @ between 4.5 and 5.5 times.
                                      Unsustainable for some and obviously going to go higher in the short to medium term

Residential prices prob double not sure about that, lower incomes now faced with choice between food and heat.

Not to forget about the poor fuckers in Ukraine now under the Jack boot of this scum.

Hit them back hard as fucking possible every sanction possible and subsidise energy here. No winners there either as hurts us but fuck it I'd prefer pain for a number of years than letting that scumbag despotic thug and his thugs with guns get away with it. Filth.

Havent a clue really other than feeling letting off on a rant

Comment

Here is the Lesson of the Day: if it looks, talks and acts like a rogue state run by a deranged, paranoid absolute ruler, then that's exactly what it is.

At least the allies exposed their playbook in advance and hopefully the conflict will be brief. But Russia, if it hasn't done so long before (and to anyone payinng attention, it has) has firmly put iself into the small club of rogue states. It'll stay there.

Comment

.... with the first four planes, just for luckforsome

​​​
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I hope there will be huge demonstrations outside the Russian embassy here today.

Not that it will make an iota of difference but at least demonstrating the righteous anger that decent Irish people feel about this unprovoked aggression would be something.

Comment

**** Out of Office ****

I am out of office today, with low ability to read the news, but will respond to your post when I get back.

**** Out of Office ****

Comment

**** Out of Office ****

I am out of office today, with low ability to read the news, but will respond to your post when I get back.

**** Out of Office ****

Comment

That's not funny Hitch.

Maybe "I feel embarrassed and ashamed at my cheering on of this psychopathic regime, in the face of all the evidence" would be better.

It's not just you, there are plenty of useful idiots out there. Hopefully now that the mask is removed from the evil regime in Moscow, you might actually post something heartfelt.

Comment

Big win for Sky News right Hitch

Comment

By the way, for anyone who still doubts that Putin is insane, just one of his blood-chilling quotes from last night:

Whoever tries to stand in our way or create threats for our country and people should know Russia’s response will be immediate and lead you to consequences you have never encountered in your history

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                        That's not funny Hitch.

Maybe "I feel embarrassed and ashamed at my cheering on of this psychopathic regime, in the face of all the evidence" would be better.

It's not just you, there are plenty of useful idiots out there. Hopefully now that the mask is removed from the evil regime in Moscow, you might actually post something heartfelt.
                                                        Oh come on. I never once 'cheered on this psychopathic regime'. I just underestimated their intent at self-destruction.

Comment

Oh come on. I never once 'cheered on this psychopathic regime'. I just underestimated their intent at self-destruction.
                                                          Tell us how you feel this morning as you see everything the Western Allies said would happen, now happening to a completely innocent country at the hands of a psychopath.

Comment

This is a whole new brutal chapter now. Fuck sake.

Comment

Tell us how you feel this morning as you see everything the Western Allies said would happen, now happening to a completely innocent country at the hands of a psychopath.
                                                              The citizens are completely innocent and the poor victims here.
                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-02-22, 09:37. Reason: Edit: ugh, I'll just leave it at that.

Comment

That's not funny Hitch.

It is kind of funny . He read it wrong tis all.

Now unless im mistaken the west cant really send in forces so its just severe out the door sanctions. Its 2022 cant the little rottweiler be taken out ?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

It is kind of funny . He read it wrong tis all.

Now unless im mistaken the west cant really send in forces so its just severe out the door sanctions. Its 2022 cant the little rottweiler be taken out ?
                                                                  You're right, of course the West can't send in troops to Ukraine or 'take out Putin', or any of the other stuff that comes out of a Hollywood thriller.
                                                                  Russia is nuclear-armed FFS.

Russia has decided to make itself a pariah amongst the nations of the world. It's led by a deranged psychopath. Until actual Russians decide to change that (and I wouldn't be optimistic), we're going to be stuck with this hell.

Comment

Maybe he just doesn't understand how Russians think?

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

Maybe he just doesn't understand how Russians think?
                                                                      Well clearly not. It's just so stupid a decision as now they are de facto gone from having any place in the west, and just have China. Why would you move into an orbit where you can only be a junior partner.

Comment

The politicians aren't completely innocent, they gambled on coming closer to NATO, like Georgia, and appear to have made an awful strategic mistake of underestimating just how brutal Russia can be. The whole country is a pawn.
                                                                        Wow, this is the equivalent of victim blaming in a rape case. Let it go.

Gee, I wonder why countries menaced by a brutal dictatorship next door should seek to join a fucking defensive alliance that would help protect their sovereignty from attack by said brutal dictatorship. NATO membership is the only reason Putin's army hasn't marched into Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania yet.

Comment

Wonder will Finland and Sweden apply for NATO membership now? I think Finland should jump ASAP, would probably be the most impactful thing any country could do right now.

Comment

Wow, this is the equivalent of victim blaming in a rape case. Let it go.
                                                                            Jaysus Raoul, play some soft music and make sure you have enough tampons in the house.

Comment

You're right, of course the West can't send in troops to Ukraine or 'take out Putin', or any of the other stuff that comes out of a Hollywood thriller.
                                                                              Russia is nuclear-armed FFS.

Russia has decided to make itself a pariah amongst the nations of the world. It's led by a deranged psychopath. Until actual Russians decide to change that (and I wouldn't be optimistic), we're going to be stuck with this hell.
                                                                              Why not take him out ? You think they use nukes after that ? No way.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                Wonder will Finland and Sweden apply for NATO membership now? I think Finland should jump ASAP, would probably be the most impactful thing any country could do right now.
                                                                                I don't think Sweden would (pretty sure that like us, neutrality and non-alignment is enshrined in their constitution).

Finland has always been very shrewd in walking the line between East and West but they must be looking at this right now, seeing the bloodthirsty psychopath state next door, and wondering.

Comment

I'd imagine Putin is as well protected as the likes of US prez*.

* not a prediction

Comment

It would be viewed as an act of war. Think about how events would spiral.

Comment

Decision tree:
                                                                                      1. Is this 20k taxable?
                                                                                      2. If yes, tell them to get fucked. Not worth it.
                                                                                      3. If no (and you won't be driven insane in the meantime), tell them you want 50k and demand it in writing. How much, when and someone senior from KPMG's signature.
                                                                                      4. If they won't give it to you in writing, see point (2)

​​The taxable question is where the idea of the mystery box comes from.
                                                                                      ​​​​​​It's honestly such a mental set up, I really think I need to talk to someone with proper tax knowledge.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

He has already threatened the West . The war has started economically. Would we take Hitler out pre1940s knowing what we know now ? I'd imagine there are a few Russians want him dead. Enable them. Its not so far fetched

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

​​The taxable question is where the idea of the mystery box comes from.
                                                                                          ​​​​​​It's honestly such a mental set up, I really think I need to talk to someone with proper tax knowledge.
                                                                                          You seem a bit all over the place.

Have you got any leverage over these fuckers or not? If yes, tell them exactly what you want and get it in writing.

If no, go get another job today.

Comment

Its always the short in stature dictators with the biggest bite.

Comment

Tbh. Some of the proposed plans for Russians in the UK don't really sit well with me.
                                                                                              Freezing assets, expulsion from private schools, forced deportation, seizing property etc.
                                                                                              Seems a sniff away from internment
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Its always the short in stature dictators with the biggest bite.
                                                                                                He's literally locked himself in a bunker for the last two years, simmering with rage and paranoia. This is one man, with absolute dictatorial control over his nation, deciding on an insane course of action and inverting reality to drive a palpably false narrative of both historical and current events.

Rarely has the phrase 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' seemed more apt. And in an autocracy with no checks, balances or democratic institutions, he's taking the country down with him.

And there's fuck all we can do about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Tbh. Some of the proposed plans for Russians in the UK don't really sit well with me.
                                                                                                  Freezing assets, expulsion from private schools, forced deportation, seizing property etc.
                                                                                                  Seems a sniff away from internment
                                                                                                  Fuck them. Filthy dirty money stained with blood.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Continuous assessment in college has been a dream. I struggled with memory tests in school and it played a part in me dropping out at 15. Now I'm in college and nailing it cos it's all essays and projects I can research and get done in my own time. I've even had a few A grades which was unheard of in my school days.

Junior cert/leaving cert are pure pony at this stage. No reason why school kids cant do essays and projects over the course of the 2 or 3 year cycle that all contributes to their grade at the end.
                                                                                                    I'd imagine because that kind of assessment bias certain kind of people also. Somebody can put in 16 hours on a project and get a score of 80. Someone else can put in 40 hours and get 85. The scoring says the the second person did better, but I'd argue that the first person is more capable. Obviously being willing to do the extra hours and more effort is benefit in its own way. But it's not what really what testing is about.

Many people I studied with got through school/college by putting in ridiculous effort. I'd suggest that is almost irrelevant in any industry where time is a factor - which is virtually all of them I would guess.

Comment

He's literally locked himself in a bunker for the last two years, simmering with rage and paranoia. This is one man, with absolute dictatorial control over his nation, deciding on an insane course of action and inverting reality to drive a palpably false narrative of both historical and current events.

Rarely has the phrase 'absolute power corrupts absolutely' seemed more apt. And in an autocracy with no checks, balances or democratic institutions, he's taking the country down with him.

And there's fuck all we can do about it.
                                                                                                      So its spiraling already . Take the cunt out .

Comment

By the way, for anyone who still doubts that Putin is insane, just one of his blood-chilling quotes from last night:
                                                                                                        Isnt that perfect coup talk...generals step up, pull back and we are all friends, even friendlier than ever !!
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I can't fucking believe a war has broken out in Europe.

Still it's good for Junior Cert history students who wondered about the impotency of the League of Nations in the 1930s.

I was reading a long paper on the effects of political assassinations the other day. It's quite complex.

Has anyone read what ordinary Russians tend to think about this invasion?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                            Has anyone read what ordinary Russians tend to think about this invasion?
                                                                                                            They're being pumped full of disinformation and propaganda. I don't imagine 'thought', as we know it, gets much of a look in.

Comment

They shelled a kindergarten in the ukraine according to my trusty news-source of Instagram Ukrainians, no kids hurt, 3 teachers injured.

I mean, how does any rational Russian person get convinced that Ukraine were the agressor in any way shape or form here?
                                                                                                              Vlad airdropping Russian passports into Donbass for the last 10 years doesnt make the place Russian.

Just imagine if the brit/german hippies down in West Cork got the same ideas
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius.’ Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine—of Ukraine. Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful. So, Putin is now saying, ‘It’s independent,’ a large section of Ukraine. I said, ‘How smart is that?’ And he’s gonna go in and be a peacekeeper. That’s the strongest peace force. We could use that on our southern border. That’s the strongest peace force I’ve ever seen. There were more army tanks than I’ve ever seen. They’re gonna keep peace all right. No, but think of it. Here’s a guy who’s very savvy, I know him very well. Very, very well.”
                                                                                                                TF? Literally praising the guy, a day before the most telegraphed invasion in history. Stevie Wonder saw this one coming. Of course, different story today.

“And it's a very sad thing for the world, for the country and it’s certainly very sad for a lot of people that are going to be needlessly killed,”

Some change in 24 hours.
                                                                                                                Straight out of Comrade Avtostop's playbook

Comment

I like to be optimistic. I think my family will somwhow survive this upcoming nuclear disaster and we'll get a good 10 years as high kings of Newcastle it will be good to return to preinternet times , simple times .

Comment

I like to be optimistic. I think my family will somwhow survive this upcoming nuclear disaster and we'll get a good 10 years as high kings of Newcastle it will be good to return to preinternet times , simple times .
                                                                                                                    On the bright side, I wouldn't have to work in the financial services sector any more. Every mushroom cloud, etc.

Comment

Russian tanks in Kharkiv now, a city 1.5 million innocent Ukrainians. (Or gay, fascist Jews depending who you source your information from)

This is what happened the last time Russia invaded a major city under Mad Vlad:

russia-chechnya-war-eru102563.jpg

Comment

Last day of work today. Dropping back WFH gear tomorrow. Also day before payday so went to check my payslip. Considerably lower than usual. Checked deductions, €1k for equipment deduction. WTF . Called HR, told me they will give me that 1k back once all equipment is returned etc. and I had signed a contract saying this would happen when got WFH equipment.Fine so I ask when will I get it back..when they run March payroll . Fuming, that's my Cheltenham roll like.
                                                                                                                        Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                                          Last day of work today. Dropping back WFH gear tomorrow. Also day before payday so went to check my payslip. Considerably lower than usual. Checked deductions, €1k for equipment deduction. WTF . Called HR, told me they will give me that 1k back once all equipment is returned etc. and I had signed a contract saying this would happen when got WFH equipment.Fine so I ask when will I get it back..when they run March payroll . Fuming, that's my Cheltenham roll like.
                                                                                                                          That seems pretty damn harsh. We've had a few people leave over the past 12 months (but hired many more), and it's always a concern that someone will try to keep their equipment, go silent or whatever. But we'd never fuck with someone's salary like that!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X