This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Feel I've managed to make a dramatic shift in workload since returning from Turin. Mainly due to focusing better on what will matter in the future.

January was literally working every day 9am - 11pm, including weekends. A whopping 80-90 hours a week, after excluding some downtime while the kids were home, and a generous gift of an hour or two to the family at weekends.

Now in February I've reduced it down to six days a week 9am - 10pm, with about three hours off each day. So maybe 60 hours a week.

Might keep this pace up for a few more weeks and then work out how to reduce it down to 50 hours a week as only a mug works stupid hours. Light at the end of the tunnel perhaps.
    Pretty much mirrors my own hours. Need a massive fuckup to occur to persuade the big bosses to get more staff.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post

... yep go €100 for the sweat... So I need an invasion of a mentionable sort by 13th March?... If any grey area about whether it's an invasion, then I'm sure we can get an independent adjudicator lol...
      ...I reckon it'll be about the 22nd Feb btw...
      Perfect. Done.

I'm nearly almost starting to doubt my impeccable logic at this stage, as Sky News has now gone to the new level of 'there's literally a bomb in the air right now 5.4.3.2.1...'.
      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The staff squeeze is everywhere as far as I can see. Generational chance for uplift right here and now imo...grab it while you can.

Paging RichieM to tell us moar.

Comment

Perfect. Done.

I'm nearly almost starting to doubt my impeccable logic at this stage, as Sky News has now gone to the new level of 'there's literally a bomb in the air right now 5.4.3.2.1...'.
          What level of bribe do you think it gets to take Vlad the Imperiler to stand down his forces?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What level of bribe do you think it gets to take Vlad the Imperiler to stand down his forces?
            It's the EU not NATO that has Vlad in an annexing mood.
            Any appeasement would have to be made on that front.

​​
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Perfect. Done.

Sky are live from Whitefriar St church for valentines day
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

​​
                Interesting reading about Ukraine lost revenue as Russia bypass it with their gas pipeline to Germany . Billions Apparently. So many variables to this , what a pity we have regressed on this planet in terms of leadership. Clusterfks everywhere .

Comment

This house sold for €830,000 very recently, on an already-crazy asking of €750,000. So just the ol' €665/sq foot, the highest I've tracked in the year we've been looking, that's with over 100 other houses for comparison. The vast majority in South Dublin we've considered have been in the €400-€500/sq foot range, with obviously location, garden size, finish and so on impacting what you might consider good value or not. Only two or three others of that 100+ hit over €600/sq foot when the final sale showed up on the property price register.

Now Blackrock is a nice place, my brother lives in the heart of the village there (the house above is bit of a walk to it), but when considering that house.... the price achieved is MAD. Just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    This house sold for €830,000 very recently, on an already-crazy asking of €750,000. So just the ol' €665/sq foot, the highest I've tracked in the year we've been looking, that's with over 100 other houses for comparison. The vast majority in South Dublin we've considered have been in the €400-€500/sq foot range, with obviously location, garden size, finish and so on impacting what you might consider good value or not. Only two or three others of that 100+ hit over €600/sq foot when the final sale showed up on the property price register.

Now Blackrock is a nice place, my brother lives in the heart of the village there (the house above is bit of a walk to it), but when considering that house.... the price achieved is MAD. Just crazy.
                    Location, Location I guess. And looks to be walk-in condition...the selling price doesn't surprise me in today's market.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

​​
                      he's already got Hungary and Poland

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1713157&d=1644836226&type=thumb
                        Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Housing is really gone crazy in the last year. My gaff is now up nearly 40% from what I paid 3 years ago and it's purely down to piss poor new housing supply and extremely limited rental options in the area. Puts us into a great position for fixing at <60% LTV in the next few months when our existing fixed term is up. I think we can drop from 3.1% to 1.95% on the Avant deal. Did discuss the option of trading up with the missus but there aren't many options to even entertain the thought.

I wonder how long this madness will all last, as you can exactly magic a mass production of new builds into existence. Cost of building and inflation creeping up steadily also. Would any financial types on here be worried about a mini economic crash being on the way?

Comment

Location, Location I guess. And looks to be walk-in condition...the selling price doesn't surprise me in today's market.
                            It's in a livable condition. But but everything in it (kitchen, bathrooms, all finishes) appears to be pretty old and cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It's in a livable condition. But but everything in it (kitchen, bathrooms, all finishes) appears to be pretty old and cheap.
                              I am pretty old and cheap myself

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                I wonder how long this madness will all last, as you can exactly magic a mass production of new builds into existence. Cost of building and inflation creeping up steadily also. Would any financial types on here be worried about a mini economic crash being on the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Interesting reading about Ukraine lost revenue as Russia bypass it with their gas pipeline to Germany . Billions Apparently. So many variables to this , what a pity we have regressed on this planet in terms of leadership. Clusterfks everywhere .
                                  I don't why German pensioners should be obliged to pay money to Ukraine to heat their homes with Russian gas, if there is a cheaper alternative. If Ukraine needs aid, then give them aid, but don't charge the German pensioner for it? That surely makes sense,

Comment

He just doesn't want NATO weapons on his border aimed at Russia. Its not an unreasonable request, except in the the bizarrest of interpretations. I guess NATO will blink first, but who knows.

Comment

The Superbowl of advertising more interesting than last nights bore-fest with the exception of the half-time show. Suitably zeitgeisty.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/13/supe...-coverage.html
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

He just doesn't want NATO weapons on his border aimed at Russia. Its not an unreasonable request, except in the the bizarrest of interpretations. I guess NATO will blink first, but who knows.
                                        Em. Don't both sides have weapons aimed at each other? And have done for decades.

Comment

I don't why German pensioners should be obliged to pay money to Ukraine to heat their homes with Russian gas, if there is a cheaper alternative. If Ukraine needs aid, then give them aid, but don't charge the German pensioner for it? That surely makes sense,
                                          The Germans are being charged for the panicked decision to shut down their nuclear stations, leaving them hostage to Vlad the Imperiler.

Insanely short-sighted stupidism by them!

Comment

Em. Don't both sides have weapons aimed at each other? And have done for decades.
                                            Russia has weapons in Mexico and Canada?

Comment

The Germans are being charged for the panicked decision to shut down their nuclear stations, leaving them hostage to Vlad the Imperiler.

Insanely short-sighted stupidism by them!
                                              We really are in a great position in Ireland, when we eventually implement it, that we are realistically going to be 100% powered by our own renewables with no reliance on outside crackpots.

Comment

Russia has weapons in Mexico and Canada?
                                                Don't be facetious, it doesn't suit you.

There are NATO weapons in places like Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Turkey etc.
                                                There are far more Russian weapons pointing the other way towards those same countries.

Comment

Don't be facetious, it doesn't suit you. :tren:

There are NATO weapons in places like Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Turkey etc.
                                                  There are far more Russian weapons pointing the other way towards those same countries.
                                                  Ah here thats very parental . One of my my blessed mudders fav lines to us all

Comment

I am pretty old and cheap myself
                                                    Old no doubt. But cheap...I'd doubt it

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                      I've often thought that were I currently living in a commoditised house I'd sell now in the hope of buying back for X% lower in 3 - 5 years time. Rational is that something has to give and bubbles got to burst!
                                                      this time it's different

Comment

As an aside from the annoying work jargon something that tilts me a little is people with Anglo-Norman surnames changing them to some sort of bastartised Gaelic version and insisting it be used.
                                                        de Bácún for Bacon for example. Does having an Irish surname get you further in the Irish Civil Service or academia or something? Active Directory admins must do some serious eye rolling when these name change requests come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Agree 100% - the location *is* really good (for those that care), though not amazing either, but the internal finish is nothing special. The other houses I've seen that go that high usually have really fantastic insides, bespoke shelving and kitchens, etc... this just seems a 'regular' house. I think it is real outlier, even in this frothy market.

Comment

Masks are no longer mandatory when moving around the building in my work from today.

Feels both weird and fantastic at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                              I've often thought that were I currently living in a commoditised house I'd sell now in the hope of buying back for X% lower in 3 - 5 years time. Rational is that something has to give and bubbles got to burst!
                                                              Wasn't there a story of someone in 2006/7
                                                              selling a home in south Dublin with vauge development potential for close to 3 mill, they then rented it from the new owner for 1500 a month for a few years until they bought it from nama for 700k.

​​​​​​
                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Wasn't there a story of someone in 2006/7
                                                                selling a home in south Dublin with vauge development potential for close to 3 mill, they then rented it from the new owner for 1500 a month for a few years until they bought it from nama for 700k.
                                                                ​​​​​​
                                                                There was some even better one about a farmer selling his land to some developer for zillions in 2006, and then happily buying it back from NAMA for the price of a postage stamp a few years later.

Comment

I don't think we're in a property bubble at the moment - it's certainly nothing like the credit-fuelled madness of the Tiger era.

Comment

I don't think we're in a property bubble at the moment - it's certainly nothing like the credit-fuelled madness of the Tiger era.
                                                                    That's what loads said in 2005 I reckon. There isn't as much 'stupid credit' in terns of people taking out mad loans for holidays and what not, but most house purchases are mortgages, which are mostly credit obviously, and if a squeeze on the jobs market happens in the next couple of years, those mortgage repayments won't be being made.

I'm not exactly an economist though. If I can get onto a good mortgage rate in summer before anything happens to interest rates I'll probably be secure enough anyhow, hopefully.

Comment

Housing is really gone crazy in the last year. My gaff is now up nearly 40% from what I paid 3 years ago and it's purely down to piss poor new housing supply and extremely limited rental options in the area. Puts us into a great position for fixing at <60% LTV in the next few months when our existing fixed term is up. I think we can drop from 3.1% to 1.95% on the Avant deal. Did discuss the option of trading up with the missus but there aren't many options to even entertain the thought.

Might be worth asking about the breakage fee on the fixed if you're going to make that big a saving on interest rate - it might be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

That's what loads said in 2005 I reckon. There isn't as much 'stupid credit' in terns of people taking out mad loans for holidays and what not, but most house purchases are mortgages, which are mostly credit obviously, and if a squeeze on the jobs market happens in the next couple of years, those mortgage repayments won't be being made.

I'm not exactly an economist though. If I can get onto a good mortgage rate in summer before anything happens to interest rates I'll probably be secure enough anyhow, hopefully.
                                                                        Bear in mind the borrowing requirements are much, much stricter now than in the Tiger Madness.

It would want to be some kind of systemic, mass unemployment-causing crash - and probably one that forced a lot of MNC jobs out of the country.

In which case, we'd be gone too so wouldn't really GAF.

Comment

Bear in mind I was pretty full bore doom-y back in the Tiger Days.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Might be worth asking about the breakage fee on the fixed if you're going to make that big a saving on interest rate - it might be worth it.
                                                                            I have done the numbers on this before but lost the excel sheet I had it in. I have to ring my current mortgage provider as they've been charging me for insurance that I previously cancelled. Might well be worth moving now, only a few months left anyway.

The other question is if I should lock in for 3/5/7 years on the new rate? There's the 10% annual overpayment allowance which means I don't mind staying on a longer fixed term rate.

Comment

The other question is if I should lock in for 3/5/7 years on the new rate? There's the 10% annual overpayment allowance which means I don't mind staying on a longer fixed term rate.
                                                                              I think you just answered your own question...

Comment

Had a laugh at Wordle today.

SPOILER
                                                                                Thought for a minute the word may have been CUPID and was rolling my eyes, thinking 'Ah tell me they didnt'. If there's one day I'm cynical about it's Valentines. So the answer gave me a laugh.
                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Some amount of saps queing up in the Supervalu earlier with their single red rose.

Such a load of bollox.

Comment

hole in one with worldle today

Although I don't think there's much kudos involved

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                      Some amount of saps queing up in the Supervalu earlier with their single red rose.

Such a load of bollox.
                                                                                      Getting married on Valentines day +EV...never forget the anniversary and just the one card.

24 years today.
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Such a load of bollox.
                                                                                        Our 8 year old cried because he got no V card . Tough life ahead for this wee lad . Other fecker threw a card at us and double punched me in the belly . Couldn't be more different.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Getting married on Valentines day +EV...never forget the anniversary and just the one card.

24 years today.
                                                                                          Double whammy for Laz also. Hate on the Saints and Hallmark .

Comment

Comment

Wait - were we being lied to?! How could anyone have known.

GKC7fc8l.jpg

Comment

Luckily Sky News still hasn't given up the fight.

ln0u4fGl.jpg

Comment

Any idea how bad the damage will be when people realise that virtually all crypto has no value ?

Bearing in mind that the scam of selling intrinsically worthless diamonds as high value luxury items has been running for many decades longer than the knowledge of their actual value.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

24 years today.
                                                                                                    We never mark either day in our gaff.

The last two anniversaries both of us were reminded of it by my oul dear
                                                                                                    The 20 year one coming up so I guess maybe I should try remember it this time.

Happy anniversary to you though

Comment

Such a load of bollox.
                                                                                                      Had at least 10 lads in the shop today looking around a bit confused but afraid to ask the question. I'm pointing to the Valentines cards going "they're over there" which in fairness got a good laugh.

Comment

Got some cakes. You can't go wrong with cakes.

Although, I did slightly go wrong, as got cakes she didn't like.

Comment

Got some cakes. You can't go wrong with cakes.

Although, I did slightly go wrong, as got cakes she didn't like.
                                                                                                          Not mad on cake to be honest. I mean a nice light sponge with cream and jam or something but not too gone on those dense chocolate cakes that youre expected to choke down after a 3 course meal . "I'll just have a tiny slice" you say anxiously as they're rolling up the sleeves putting their back into levering up a humongous piece. And of course it's always made by granny looking at you expectantly for your approving "mmm...delicious" You dutifully chomp your way under her watchful gaze sweating with the effort. "Oh look he loved it"she says adoringly "Quick, get him another slice"

Comment

Any extra background info on this hockey player who is going to be featured on Prime Time at 9.30 tonight?
                                                                                                            Running a fake re-mortgaging scam which has netted at least €500K, and probably more.
                                                                                                            How this businesswoman conned distraught homeowners (rte.ie)

edit : On further digging seems to be DJ Careys sister.
                                                                                                            Pity the people swindled above didn't do the simple step of googling the person they were handing €25K to.
                                                                                                            DJ Carey¿s ¿1m 'fraud' claim: Hurling legend calls gardai on his own sister over 'missing cash' | Daily Mail Online
                                                                                                            Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 14-02-22, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Not mad on cake to be honest. I mean a nice light sponge with cream and jam or something but not too gone on those dense chocolate cakes that youre expected to choke down after a 3 course meal . "I'll just have a tiny slice" you say anxiously as they're rolling up the sleeves putting their back into levering up a humongous piece. And of course it's always made by granny looking at you expectantly for your approving "mmm...delicious" You dutifully chomp your way under her watchful gaze sweating with the effort. "Oh look he loved it"she says adoringly "Quick, get him another slice"
                                                                                                              I'm with you on that 100%

Cakes are way overrated.

Comment

Nothing to add although I seem to recall that DJ has a cough, cough interesting financial history himself so I reckon it runs in the family..

Comment

Any idea how bad the damage will be when people realise that virtually all crypto has no value ?

Bearing in mind that the scam of selling intrinsically worthless diamonds as high value luxury items has been running for many decades longer than the knowledge of their actual value.
                                                                                                                  At least you can actually touch a diamond.

Comment

So you are saying it could be as good as diamonds have been for some people?

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 14-02-22, 21:25.

Comment

Nothing to add although I seem to recall that DJ has a cough, cough interesting financial history himself so I reckon it runs in the family..
                                                                                                                      Deets?

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

My aunt reckons Donald got his old pal Vlad to stir shit up Ukraine so as to fcuk with Sleepy Joe.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X