X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Wordle hole in one today
    Got it in 3 but to continue the golfing comparison. I missed a 2 foot putt yesterday for another 3 .

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      Things you'll miss from the pandemic:

I like the fact that all my text notifications tell me delivery drivers from DPD seem to be called 'Bob', even the Egyptian and Polish ones.
      Why wouldn't the polish lads be called Bob?
      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Why wouldn't the polish lads be called Bob?
        Good point. It's more the fact that all of them are called Bob.

Maybe it's a condition of employment to drive a van for DPD; 'must be called, or at least willing to answer to, Bob'.

I do enjoy saying 'thanks Bob' when they hand over a parcel.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            First thing it put me in mind of are the bits in the TV show For All Mankind where a few people always greet each other 'Hi Bob' for years after a particular set of events which involves them watching a very small number of TV episodes over and over again which includes the phrase 'Hi Bob'.

For anyone who hasn't watched For All Mankind, I really recommend you do. Season 1 is very good, season 2 is fantastic. Season 3 hopefully released later this year, but I suspect it will be next year.

Comment

I raise you

Comment

Maybe it's a condition of employment to drive a van for DPD; 'must be called, or at least willing to answer to, Bob'.
                When it's Fastway I usually get a notification that the parcel has been left in the porch. For which I'm always grateful...that they built me a porch to put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

When it's Fastway I usually get a notification that the parcel has been left in the porch. For which I'm always grateful...that they built me a porch to put it in.
                  With those guys, it might better read 'left in a porch, might be yours but probably not'.

Comment

working for me.
                    It wasn't showing a while ago but I assume strwly didn't link it right
                    I tried it the other day and it wasn't working and none of them are showing up correctly for me.

Plus I've tried to quote a bunch of posts and that isn't working either. Solksjaer! I started watching that zombie show the other day and I'm three episodes in and it's just okay, Raoul Duke III I got a couple of those Google Nest hubs and they are pretty good. Harvey Norman did have them on sale before Christmas so check around before buying. €99 in most places and I think they were selling them for €69.
                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I exclusively use smart speakers for radio these days. I tell myself it's great that I can just ask for any radio station in the world that I want. Then stick exclusively to 3 of them anyway. But it's as much about Spotify as the radio. I have a mix of Google and Amazon ones. I like the Amazon one for Audible.

Comment

On the subject of Harold Ramis. Somebody mentioned Ghostbusters:Afterlife a few weeks ago (might have been you). Only got around to viewing it last weekend. Can confirm they nailed it. Completely better than the nonsense reboot. Maybe a tad too much fab service. But overall far better than other new generation sequels.

Comment

Wordle hole in one today
                          Yikes.
                          That's what your mind comes up with when asked for a random 5 letter word?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Yikes.

When diddy comes up im hitting an eagle .

TylerD - Youve changed since you got married

Comment

These passenger locator forms are such a pain in the bollix. Have to fill in three of them for three different countries, for a simple trip of Dub-Lon-Turin, back to Dub. I think it was six forms with the family trip over Christmas. Four for Italy and two on the way back. The covid test certs, now thankfully gone, were an extra eight documents.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

First thing it put me in mind of are the bits in the TV show For All Mankind where a few people always greet each other 'Hi Bob' for years after a particular set of events which involves them watching a very small number of TV episodes over and over again which includes the phrase 'Hi Bob'.

For anyone who hasn't watched For All Mankind, I really recommend you do. Season 1 is very good, season 2 is fantastic. Season 3 hopefully released later this year, but I suspect it will be next year.
                                Added to the list.

On recommendations, SuperStore on Netflix is very very good, takes a few episodes to get into the characters but all of them are really well written, just the 22 mins long so a great breakfast show.
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Korean Zombie are the best. Ok they still have the same ridiculously strong teeth that even the most decrepit American Zombies have, however the Korean boys and girls of the dead are very light on their feet and you need to be rather fleet of foot to avoid a munching. Plenty of ‘bethejaysus run’ moments. Compare that to the staggering decaying US Zombies that wouldn’t catch a 90 year old on a zimmerframe. (although the teeth are still that of a lion) Also the Koreans people are very brave and accepting when beset by a mob of high performing munchers. They seem to see the pathos in their demise as opposed to the excruciating pain I’d expect them to be going through . Maybe it’s shock. I can well understand how Korean Zombies can take over the earth however I can’t accept the US Zombies are capable of it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Added to the list.

On recommendations, SuperStore on Netflix is very very good, takes a few episodes to get into the characters but all of them are really well written, just the 22 mins long so a great breakfast show.
                                    Still in mourning after watching the last episode of season 6 of Superstore. It’s excellent, but agree there are some themes which are great but take a few episodes to see. Huge fan of the pharmacist and in later episodes Justin’s cameos.

finsihed watching “People with Anxiety” on Netflix recently too, nice 8 part mystery series that’s not too serious, consider it comfort food for TV, Swedish show.

Comment

I think someone recommended The Puppet Master too, only 3-4 episodes but pretty amazing story

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

I tried it the other day and it wasn't working and none of them are showing up correctly for me.

Plus I've tried to quote a bunch of posts and that isn't working either. Solksjaer! I started watching that zombie show the other day and I'm three episodes in and it's just okay, Raoul Duke III I got a couple of those Google Nest hubs and they are pretty good. Harvey Norman did have them on sale before Christmas so check around before buying. €99 in most places and I think they were selling them for €69.
                                        I exclusively use smart speakers for radio these days. I tell myself it's great that I can just ask for any radio station in the world that I want. Then stick exclusively to 3 of them anyway. But it's as much about Spotify as the radio. I have a mix of Google and Amazon ones. I like the Amazon one for Audible.
                                        Originally posted by Mellor View Post

On the subject of Harold Ramis. Somebody mentioned Ghostbusters:Afterlife a few weeks ago (might have been you). Only got around to viewing it last weekend. Can confirm they nailed it. Completely better than the nonsense reboot. Maybe a tad too much fab service. But overall far better than other new generation sequels.
                                        Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Yikes.

tylerdurden94 multiquoting works just fine, you just don't know how to do it properly.

Comment

ball park on a clutch replacement on a Renault Fluance?
                                          I know dick about cars but quoted €1600 which seems high
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Still in mourning after watching the last episode of season 6 of Superstore. It’s excellent, but agree there are some themes which are great but take a few episodes to see. Huge fan of the pharmacist and in later episodes Justin’s cameos.

finsihed watching “People with Anxiety” on Netflix recently too, nice 8 part mystery series that’s not too serious, consider it comfort food for TV, Swedish show.
                                            Only starting season 4, its great having the 20+ episode format back for it. Myself and the wife will fly through 3 a night.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

An Eagle today takes me to +2 thru 29.

Funny, I used a different first word and got a green and two yellows. Had I used my usual I would have gotten two greens and a yellow.

DP getting in one gave me a little clue. One option had a repeat letter and figured he wouldn't have went with that.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Things you'll miss from the pandemic:

I like the fact that all my text notifications tell me delivery drivers from DPD seem to be called 'Bob', even the Egyptian and Polish ones.

We have a Chinese National working for us in Dublin and unsurprisingly, he has a Chinese name which is not hard to pronounce and we use all the time. I found out that a company he previously worked for (another large global player) refused to call him by his name and told him his name was now 'Joe'. The guy has been living here for about 20 years and is the nicest person you'll ever meet. I couldn't believe it when I heard about his previous employer but it's definitely true.

Strangely, pretty much all our staff in China don't use their Chinese first name, they only use their Chinese surname combined with an English first name. You get a few normal names like Stephen, Joe, Dick, etc, but you also get a few random ones like Elvis, Princess. The rest of our Asian offices all use their actual full names, not a hint of English about them.

Comment

It is funny how wide a choice we have with these things and how little we take advantage of that.

I use my Google Home device for John Creedon between 8 & 10pm and that's basically it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

We have a Chinese National working for us in Dublin and unsurprisingly, he has a Chinese name which is not hard to pronounce and we use all the time. I found out that a company he previously worked for (another large global player) refused to call him by his name and told him his name was now 'Joe'. The guy has been living here for about 20 years and is the nicest person you'll ever meet. I couldn't believe it when I heard about his previous employer but it's definitely true.

Strangely, pretty much all our staff in China don't use their Chinese first name, they only use their Chinese surname combined with an English first name. You get a few normal names like Stephen, Joe, Dick, etc, but you also get a few random ones like Elvis, Princess. The rest of our Asian offices all use their actual full names, not a hint of English about them.
                                                    We've a lad called Johnny working with us from Mauritius.

His real name is Pritam but he changed it himself when he landed here. People struggled to pronounce it.

I call him both names.

Comment

Fairly standard with Chinese to take a western first name for work - like you have seen some classics down the years. Wilberforce.

Comment

Seems high, but maybe the friction plate needs to be done too, has it been bad for long?
                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Fairly standard with Chinese to take a western first name for work - like you have seen some classics down the years. Wilberforce.
                                                          Even Lee Jun-fan did it altough not until Secondary School.

Some nurse gave him the Engerlish name

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

tylerdurden94 multiquoting works just fine, you just don't know how to do it properly.

Just tried it there and think it might be working correctly now. Apologies Supreme Overlord, Twitter still isn't working correctly though
                                                            Last edited by tylerdurden94; 02-02-22, 14:50.
                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Head office for new job is in China and seems a fairly even split between people using their Chinese name or adopting a western one. Have seen it a bit from other regions changing/shortening their names to make it easier. We could all just go mad and just ask our colleagues how to pronounce their names if unsure...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                An Eagle today takes me to +2 thru 29.

Funny, I used a different first word and got a green and two yellows. Had I used my usual I would have gotten two greens and a yellow.

DP getting in one gave me a little clue. One option had a repeat letter and figured he wouldn't have went with that.
                                                                dont quite know what to take from that
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Seems high, but maybe the friction plate needs to be done too, has it been bad for long?
                                                                  last few days seemed to be lacking some oomph and today mrs reported burning smell.
                                                                  Took it to renault garage in tallaght who diagnosed and quoted.
                                                                  rang Allvech for a quote and 1200 pick up repair and drop off

Comment

It is funny how wide a choice we have with these things and how little we take advantage of that.

I use my Google Home device for John Creedon between 8 & 10pm and that's basically it.
                                                                    Mise en place time basically.
                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Vietnamese lad at work is named Duc but for some reason went with Kyle. Why not just go as Duke? Perfectly cromulent.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

last few days seemed to be lacking some oomph and today mrs reported burning smell.
                                                                        Took it to renault garage in tallaght who diagnosed and quoted.
                                                                        rang Allvech for a quote and 1200 pick up repair and drop off
                                                                        Seems high but I wouldn't know how fucked it is really.
                                                                        I got mine done on a Subaru with 180000km on it late last year, and including a new battery and a few other small bits came to 1k, but they didn't need to do the friction plate, which would have been another €750.

It's not some fancy half manual half automatic gearbox or anything no?
                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Also, could be lol Dublin prices.
                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                            “People with Anxiety” on Netflix recently too, nice 8 part mystery series that’s not too serious, consider it comfort food for TV, Swedish show.
                                                                            I read the book that it's based on recently, it was better but not much. TV was a bit more obviously comic, felt to me like some of the casting was miles off. When reading was thinking that it had been written with a TV series in mind but then when they made it some of the ore outlandish plot developments didn't really work as well.
                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

We have a few people of various nationalities who either adopt a local name or anglicise their own name and as many who don't I cannot imagine anyone ever telling them what to do though!

Similar to you, all the Chinese companies I deal with use western first names but none of the Koreans or Burmese whose names are very tricky do.

Comment

Also, could be lol Dublin prices.
                                                                                quite likely this

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                  Vietnamese lad at work is named Duc but for some reason went with Kyle. Why not just go as Duke? Perfectly cromulent.
                                                                                  There can be only one.

Comment

Clutch and flywheel I would imagine. Still a little high.
                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

dont quite know what to take from that
                                                                                      Edit, actually, should prob spoiler..

SPOILER
                                                                                      The other word I could see is an animal that starts with the same letter as the answer, had two repeating vowels straight after and the same 4th letter.

Edit edit, eh, since I'm spoilering MOOSE lol

Figured you wouldn't be dumb enough to use that word as your first when it's effectively only 4x letters.
                                                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 02-02-22, 16:21.

Comment

The old firm game tonight should be a throwback

Comment

In La Cave for a quick schnack, gratifying to see their prices still don't seem to have increased since about 2012.

Be a good spot for the pre-game IPB Outing in the Emporium in March.

Comment

My sister shared her Wordle result on the group earlier and it was no. 231, ie, this coming Friday's one.

Turns out she had changed the date settings on her phone to hack some murder mystery app.

Had no idea that was possible.

Comment

I mean, I'm kinda over the game already, are people really still glued to it?
                                                                                              Saw it was bought by the NY times, surely will go the way of sudoku very quickly.
                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Saw it was bought by the NY times, surely will go the way of sudoku very quickly.
                                                                                                Novelty hasn't worn off with me yet anyway. I love it. I'm sure it will eventually fizzle out.

Comment

Saw a funny thing on twitter that Pokerhand would have liked.

The NYT should keep Wordle free, but charge 99c to share results.

Comment

There's a chinese lad I know who's universally known as Bing Bong.

Legend has it that
                                                                                                    when he 1st landed at Dublin Airport
                                                                                                    the people collecting him couldn't find him
                                                                                                    and had an announcement made
                                                                                                    telling him to come to a meeting point.

He heard it and assumed the sound
                                                                                                    preceding his name was the
                                                                                                    English pronouncement of his Chinese name.

Naturally Bing Bong has stuck.

Comment

Hatate is some player surely going South soon enough.

Comment

We should be proper Europeans and drive on the right.
                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                          Yes please, be cool to see some American car imports.
                                                                                                          Probably be taxed to bejaysus though.
                                                                                                          Perhaps in the near future it's not such a big deal to swap steering wheel side on an electric car for example.

Also, doesn't really matter to motorbikes, so tally ho.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

As a soft-launch for my world teaching tour this year, touching on such lowlights as London-Turin-Rennes, I started teaching a course today to PhDs in a uni that rhythms with winners and famously steals books from places that rhythm with Bells. I was leaving there in the evening after a vibrant class discussion, wandering, almost alone, through the various tree-bedecked squares on the way out, with antique lights guiding the way, and a tranquil feel, and thinking - hmmm, this is almost romantically academic, and perhaps, just perhaps, a step up from unis that rhythm with BCU.

Comment

As a soft-launch for my world teaching tour this year, touching on such lowlights as London-Turin-Rennes, I started teaching a course today to PhDs in a uni that rhythms with winners and famously steals books from places that rhythm with Bells. I was leaving there in the evening after a vibrant class discussion, wandering, almost alone, through the various tree-bedecked squares on the way out, with antique lights guiding the way, and a tranquil feel, and thinking - hmmm, this is almost romantically academic, and perhaps, just perhaps, a step up from unis that rhythm with BCU.
                                                                                                              Too cryptic.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                Surely showing solidarity with all our fellow island state EU members (Malta, Cyprus) and sticking to the correct side of the road is the appropriate play?

Odd little EU fact #263.

Comment

Too cryptic.
                                                                                                                  Trinners, Kells and DCU.

It's 'rhymes' though Hitch.

Comment

Surely showing solidarity with all our fellow island state EU members (Malta, Cyprus) and sticking to the correct side of the road is the appropriate play?

Odd little EU fact #263.
                                                                                                                    Just on Cyprus, do the Greek and Turkish sides drive on the same side?
                                                                                                                    Never been there, heard there was a brand new airport that is left unused as it's in the middle or something.
                                                                                                                    Have read it was a jolly nice Brit base for Prince Philip to get a tan for a while.
                                                                                                                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Sudoku is still a very popular puzzle.

Relative to other popular puzzles Wordle has a lot going for it: speed, frequency, variable difficulty and community to name a few. If NYT run one of the best puzzle sections and hopefully will allow it to continue to bubble along organically and over time use the game to draw people to their site.

Comment

Winners, Bells and BCU.

It's 'rhymes' though Hitch.
                                                                                                                        I had written rhymes, but grammarly (everyone uses grammarly, yeah?) corrected it to rhythms, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Sudoku is still a very popular puzzle.

Relative to other popular puzzles Wordle has a lot going for it: speed, frequency, variable difficulty and community to name a few. If NYT run one of the best puzzle sections and hopefully will allow it to continue to bubble along organically and over time use the game to draw people to their site.
                                                                                                                          It's a game that's been around for decades so there's no reason someone else can't recreate it (or a very similar version of it) and put it out there for free again should the nyt try to monetise it.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X