Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 9 number thing is called the digital root system, and happens because you are using base 10 numbers. This happens due to the digital root counting up by (10 - 1)n with each multiple of 9 and 9 counting up (10-1)n with each multiple in the digital root. Basically when you are summing you are adding the base 10 and subtracting 1, which is 9.

Simpler tricks also impress people. I blew an accountant friends mind the other day when we were talking about how we work out operations on numbers, by telling him 18% of 50 is the same as 50% of 18 etc.
    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 01-02-22, 14:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
      Back to back birdies in d'oul Wordle.

I'll catch that Strewelfella
      Just to annoy Pokerhand

+4 after 26 holes, need a few birdies to make the cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
        The 9 number thing is called the digital root system, and happens because you are using base 10 numbers. This happens due to the digital root counting up by (10 - 1)n with each multiple of 9 and 9 counting up (10-1)n with each multiple in the digital root. Basically when you are summing you are adding the base 10 and subtracting 1, which is 9.
        I've always had the idea that if we counted in base 8, that numbers would fit together much better. Less primes, and awkward numbers. Faster multiplication of large numbers, square etc.

Basically if we evolved with 8 fingers we'd be smarter.

Simpler tricks also impress people. I blew an accountant friends mind the other day when we were talking about how we work out operations on numbers, by telling him 18% of 50 is the same as 50% of 18 etc.
        That was mentioned here before. I was surprised that people were surprised by that.
        18 x 50 = 50 x 18
        18 x .50 = 50 x .18
        18% x 50 = 50% x 18

I guess the % and "of" makes people forget its just multiplication.

Comment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

How is VitaDAO any different to a VC funded research grant?
            The nature of the DAO means that voting blocks are weighted to those that hold the most tokens.
            They are very different.

The DAO is a community that coordinates for a shared goal. It's a very active community of people all sharing information and connecting scientists all around the world. They will end up funding many different avenues of research. Once a research project is vetted, token holders can vote on whether to award them funds or not.
            Last edited by Hectorjelly; 01-02-22, 14:39.

Comment

I got it in 2 today, my second time doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Just to annoy Pokerhand

+4 after 26 holes, need a few birdies to make the cut.
                I'm +4 thru 29
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                  I'm not going to watch 2 hours of that, layman's term?

Last edited by Strewelpeter; 01-02-22, 16:00.
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Actually, 28 as I'm not counting that spoilt one where I got it in one.

Comment

Spoiled my numbers going in the water yesterday, got _ight too soon and was left guessing Might Sight Right Bight ... Splash!

Back on form with my first 2 today

sHb4ZUQ.png

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

They are very different.

The DAO is a community that coordinates for a shared goal. It's a very active community of people all sharing information and connecting scientists all around the world. They will end up funding many different avenues of research. Once a research project is vetted, token holders can vote on whether to award them funds or not.

Call me cynical....
                        I'm quite happy to be wrong about this btw. My understanding is any output garnered from the funding is then owned by the DAO via NFTs of IP (how that works is another matter).
                        It just seems easy to game that system to ensure the funding goes where the whales want. And the whales can be the direct recipients of the funds.
                        I don;t doubt the philanthropic ideals of members but that seems problematic
                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

I'm +4 thru 29
                          +1 after 28 now here.

0 in 1
                          2 in 2
                          7 in 3
                          12 in 4
                          2 in 5
                          5 in 6

I haven't checked my missues numbers but she must be well under par, 3 seems to be her normal score whereas 4 is my normal score.

Comment

Call me cynical....
                            I'm quite happy to be wrong about this btw. My understanding is any output garnered from the funding is then owned by the DAO via NFTs of IP (how that works is another matter).
                            It just seems easy to game that system to ensure the funding goes where the whales want. And the whales can be the direct recipients of the funds.
                            I don;t doubt the philanthropic ideals of members but that seems problematic
                            This isn't a collection of NFT degens trusting each other. Any DAO will live and die by the structures put in place to stop fraud, the same as any other organisation that handles money.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Non-drinker.
                              And vegetarian. Say no more.
                              Loved his coke tho

Comment

They are very different.

What about the DAO that spent $3m on a rare copy of Dune (that typically fetches $50k) thinking that it gave them the movie rights to the story - despite that fact that Warner Brothers just released a major adaption.
                                Not a loft of co-ordination, research or information there.

Comment

Treating wordle as golf I shot a 64 over my first 18.

I know fuck all about golf but -8 seems decent

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

What about the DAO that spent $3m on a rare copy of Dune (that typically fetches $50k) thinking that it gave them the movie rights to the story - despite that fact that Warner Brothers just released a major adaption.

there are countless DAOS now set up, some of them stupid, some of them quite clever.
                                    In the case of the Dune DAO the actual story is a lot more complicated than the mainstream press has reported it:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/17/2...ivative-script

However, that's a side issue, as I said there are lots of DAOs all doing weird and wonderful things, many of them are bad ideas and many of them are badly run, the same as any organisation. (Also over time people will learn what DAOS are good and bad at). Saying DAOS are stupid because you found a stupid one is like saying startups are stupid because you invested in Theranos.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

I havent the time to pick the holes in this but there are quite a few
                                      I'd take your word for it but I haven't the time either.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

In the case of the Dune DAO the actual story is a lot more complicated than the mainstream press has reported it:
                                        Absolutely but I don't think in the way you mean.

What part of
                                        “gain physical custody of Jodorowsky’s Dune book by arranging shipping and storage,” scan every page of the book, hire a social media agency, and “present a film treatment and budget by Roble Ridge Productions for the original animated limited series inspired by the book for a community vote.”
                                        required spending €2.66 at auction for... well what do you think they spent that money on?

Who got the money?

If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Absolutely but I don't think in the way you mean.

What part of

required spending €2.66 at auction for... well what do you think they spent that money on?

Who got the money?

If it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck it's probably a duck

it's completely beside the point anyway, I have zero interest in talking about it

Comment

That is excellent.

Is the twitter tags not working correctly for everybody?
                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Spoiled my numbers going in the water yesterday, got _ight too soon and was left guessing Might Sight Right Bight ... Splash!

Back on form with my first 2 today

sHb4ZUQ.png
                                              I asked on twitter about hard mode, wondering why anyone would be playing it any differently and a guy replied with an interesting scenario that would have helped you yesterday,.

In that situation you sacrifice a life and choose a word with all or most of those available letters, in your case something like BORMS would eliminate all of those and tell you it's LIGHT.
                                              Last edited by Lazare; 01-02-22, 17:28.

Comment

Watched that Korean Zombie think on Netflix. I'm IN.

New fetish. Korean Zombie College girls . Nail them as they are turning .

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

That is excellent.

Is the twitter tags not working correctly for everybody?
                                                  working for me.
                                                  It wasn't showing a while ago but I assume strwly didn't link it right

Comment

Watched that Korean Zombie think on Netflix. I'm IN.

New fetish. Korean Zombie College girls . Nail them as they are turning .
                                                    Russian roulette before the gnashers start chomping down wha!
                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

I started watching "Servant", MNight shannabooly dude, i know its more about the journey with him than the destination so we shall see what happens but 2 episodes into season 1 and quiet enjoying it.
                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

I asked on twitter about hard mode, wondering why anyone would be playing it any differently and a guy replied with an interesting scenario that would have helped you yesterday,.

In that situation you sacrifice a life and choose a word with all or most of those available letters, in your case something like BORMS would eliminate all of those and tell you it's LIGHT.
                                                        Indeed, I thought about doing just that with BLIMP but once I'd gambled once I kept going... also I was aware that people were struggling with it and thought Night and Light were the less likely candidates.

Comment

“Irish campaigners” fuck off

Garda Commissioner to face questions over lowering Irish language requirement
                                                          via The Irish Times
                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

BORMS
                                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The book encountered real opposition internationally, leading to the courtrooms and the United States v. One Book Called Ulysses, where Judge John M. Woolsey concluded that Ulysses could be admitted to the United States.

Unlike most critics of the book, he had taken the time to read it. Some Irish eyebrows were perhaps raised by his observation that “in respect of the recurrent emergence of the theme of sex in the minds of [Joyce's] characters, it must always be remembered that his locale was Celtic and his season spring.
                                                              Post Covid Spring going to be a doozie. Enjoy kids.
                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

On the mental arithmetic, my local dry cleaner has a steady flow of (often hot) South American birds working there.

One of them always takes out a calculator to add up the price for my dry cleaning and the washing/ironing of shirts.

This is despite that the vast majority of weeks, it's the exact same price - 14.65 for the suit and 12.00 quid for the shirts - Total of 26.65. There is an odd week where there is plus or minus a shirt so easily adjusted in your head.

The first time I saw her pull out the calculator, I said '26.65?'. She looked at me like I had two heads and proceeded to check the numbers with the calculator.

She now refers to me as 'The Maths Guy' any time I go in.

Comment

However, that's a side issue, as I said there are lots of DAOs all doing weird and wonderful things, many of them are bad ideas and many of them are badly run, the same as any organisation. (Also over time people will learn what DAOS are good and bad at). Saying DAOS are stupid because you found a stupid one is like saying startups are stupid because you invested in Theranos.
                                                                  I wasn’t saying all DAOs are stupid. I was wondering if you had any insight to what went on there. Seems like a colossal screw up, to the point of a potential scam.

I’ll read that article this morning.

Comment

HHs father in law must have been over on a covert mission to wipe out his Twitter account. IPB is next on the hitlist. Poor RD must be in the firing line next.

Comment

HHs father in law must have been over on a covert mission to wipe out his Twitter account. IPB is next on the hitlist. Poor RD must be in the firing line next.
                                                                      I don't know what this means but I am concerned.

Comment

I don't know what this means but I am concerned.
                                                                        Yeah, i'd set the alarm going to bed if I were you

ты следующий

Comment

Yeah, i'd set the alarm going to bed if I were you

ты следующий

Nothing as sinister as Cyrillic script imo.

Comment

I have noted that HH's more extreme episodes tend to coincide with the visits of his KGB handler father-in-law. You can smell the fear imo.

Comment

Broke our radio. Would Google Nest be a decent replacement, yay/nay?

Comment

Broke our radio. Would Google Nest be a decent replacement, yay/nay?
                                                                                Works fine for me in and around the house, in the bedroom I prefer to have something with buttons that I can hit a preset without having to look at talk to or open a screen. I use a bose soundtouch 20 there.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                  On the mental arithmetic, my local dry cleaner has a steady flow of (often hot) South American birds working there.

One of them always takes out a calculator to add up the price for my dry cleaning and the washing/ironing of shirts.

This is despite that the vast majority of weeks, it's the exact same price - 14.65 for the suit and 12.00 quid for the shirts - Total of 26.65. There is an odd week where there is plus or minus a shirt so easily adjusted in your head.

The first time I saw her pull out the calculator, I said '26.65?'. She looked at me like I had two heads and proceeded to check the numbers with the calculator.

FFS, Coming out of lurking for this ... Pics of South Americans or GTFO
                                                                                  Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

I think Hitch does that now and then with his twitter ac. Didn't it disappear before for a while?

Comment

Originally posted by The Aul Switcharoo View Post

FFS, Coming out of lurking for this ... Pics of South Americans or GTFO
                                                                                      Fair enough, here you go

SPOILER
                                                                                      They're only in the wank bank I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

The number of people out there who just don't get math is fairly astonishing. Like, fairly high-up-the-ladder professionals who need a calculator to multiply 7 times 8.

Then again, i find the people who think they understand data, but actually don't far worse and far more dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

The number of people out there who just don't get math is fairly astonishing. Like, fairly high-up-the-ladder professionals who need a calculator to multiply 7 times 8.

Then again, i find the people who think they understand data, but actually don't far worse and far more dangerous.
                                                                                          agree. there is a mission for everyone. but the number of people i encounter in my professional life who are clearly in the wrong discipline is much higher than it should be. I think our kids will fare better where change is frequent and re=invention is common - nobody has a career for life. some of the guys and gals i have to collaborate with could have done with a change far earlier.

Comment

There's always going to be mistakes at the beginnings of communities driven by a heady mixture of enthusiasm and greed. It's all about what it could be at this stage.
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I think Hitch does that now and then with his twitter ac. Didn't it disappear before for a while?
                                                                                              Quite regularly deactivate it. Despite common perceptions I'm aware of the potential problems of a platform where you say a random thought and people like it in droves (I completely ignore the negative comments, so only take on board the praise). It shouldn't be that easy to have an opinion imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

I guess the same type of coercion is being used to get people to take the booster jab. Do what we want or you are not leaving the country.
                                                                                                Nobodies getting their 12+ kids into 'proper Europe' for the summer without their vaccines. Proper order, I think. Be part of a society.

Comment

It's been a long time since a series has reached out in the same way as The Orville. Seth clearly adores space. I heard he bought Carl Sagans library for a fortune just to donate it to a public library for future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Nobodies getting their 12+ kids into 'proper Europe' for the summer without their vaccines. Proper order, I think. Be part of a society.
                                                                                                    A few more of those and you'll be readmitted to the list of 'fit and worthy persons to debate with'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's always going to be mistakes at the beginnings of communities driven by a heady mixture of enthusiasm and greed. It's all about what it could be at this stage.
                                                                                                      There’s always going to be mistakes full stop.
                                                                                                      im just wondering how a collect group of people reached that decision and voted in favour of it.

Im assuming that these are above average intelligence people as a whole.

Comment

Wordle hole in one today

Comment

They say we're young and we don't know We won't find out until we grow .

Whats the significance of this song today ?

(Not a hard one for ye geeks)

Comment

I wasn’t saying all DAOs are stupid. I was wondering if you had any insight to what went on there. Seems like a colossal screw up, to the point of a potential scam.

I’ll read that article this morning.
                                                                                                            Ah, apologies I picked you up wrong. I don't have any particular insight, I just read the media pieces and then some replies from the people involved making it clear it was more far more complicated than made out initially. It was a good dunk and I think that's good enough for most people.

Comment

I’ve read that article. Nothing it that I wasn’t aware of tbh. But I’m but I’m not the the little snips prove
                                                                                                              its more complicated than it appears.

I understand the DAO know they don’t have the rights. And the plan is a series inspired by Dune. But the issue with both of those is that they are the case now. The statements they are pointing to are made it December and January. Months after they bought the book, does mean for a second it was the case prior.

The other glaring issue is that didn’t need to buy a copy to make a series inspired by it. It was available free.

Other goals, such as publishing the book online would probably be copyright infringement.

Comment

Wordle hole in one today
                                                                                                                My first time playing it was a Hole in One with QUERY. The missus was raving about this fun new game that's really testing. Explaining the tactics with vowels etc as it's quite tricky. I just bang in QUERY and get the 5x green boxes. Queue the eye rolls. I didn't get the word twice in the next week, while she took the piss out of me being a non-native English speaker.

Comment

Things you'll miss from the pandemic:

I like the fact that all my text notifications tell me delivery drivers from DPD seem to be called 'Bob', even the Egyptian and Polish ones.

Comment

They say we're young and we don't know We won't find out until we grow .

Whats the significance of this song today ?

(Not a hard one for ye geeks)

Comment

I was curious about this Joe Rogan stuff. So googled what he’s been saying.
                                                                                                                      First statement, in the first Joe vrs Science article

In his 12 January 2022 episode, Rogan claimed the risk of myocarditis (heart muscle inflammation) among vaccinated 12- to 17-year-olds was higher than the risk associated with catching Covid.

But his guest, the Australian broadcaster Josh Szeps, argued that, in fact, young males infected with the virus were up six times more likely to develop myocarditis as those who had received the vaccine. Szeps cited data from the US Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices, suggesting a rate of about 450 myocarditis cases in every million Covid-19 infections among boys aged 12-17, compared with 77 cases a million after vaccination.
                                                                                                                      There’s a rather obvious flaw in his comparison there. Sure it’s factually correct. But it’s a bit unfair to frame it as covid vrs vaccination, as you aren’t guaranteed to get Covid. I wonder how a fair comparison works out. Probably pretty close.

Also when looking up the other guy. I found the clip from the podcast. It’s hardly infowars level stuff. He makes a statement, other guy counters and they fact check it on the spot.

Then then follows up with a post acknowledging he was wrong and provides the source that he was confused by. Im sure he has much worse clangers. But this was tame.

Comment

Didnt take long ..bah

Comment

I was curious about this Joe Rogan stuff. So googled what he’s been saying.
                                                                                                                          First statement, in the first Joe vrs Science article

There’s a rather obvious flaw in his comparison there. Sure it’s factually correct. But it’s a bit unfair to frame it as covid vrs vaccination, as you aren’t guaranteed to get Covid. I wonder how a fair comparison works out. Probably pretty close.

Also when looking up the other guy. I found the clip from the podcast. It’s hardly infowars level stuff. He makes a statement, other guy counters and they fact check it on the spot.

Then then follows up with a post acknowledging he was wrong and provides the source that he was confused by. Im sure he has much worse clangers. But this was tame.

https://www.twitter.com/joerogan/sta...32468651122689
                                                                                                                          It was the stuff with Malone and McCullough that really kick started it.
                                                                                                                          This was just a visual thing of facts being presented, proved with sources, then still questioned.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X