This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

This is an interpretation based on our legal system. He was the subject of court proceedings. Exactly when, in that point, formal charges are presented differs by country, but he was certainly in that process.
    No, according to, eh, you, he was charged.

There were, of course , criminal charges against him. He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him.
    So what were these charges then? Seeing as they 'of course' existed.

What was he charged with? A reliable link to the dates and courts in which these charges were laid please.

(Hint: it starts with 'no' and ends with 'thing')
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This is an interpretation based on our legal system. He was the subject of court proceedings. Exactly when, in that point, formal charges are presented differs by country, but he was certainly in that process.
      A few posts back you said he was absolutely charged.
      Bit of a backpedal there. Not unlike describing him as a criminal, then claiming you didn’t.

Still haven’t been able to state what he was personally suspected of in order to justify detaining him for 3 years without charge or trial.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
        Still haven’t been able to state what he was personally suspected of in order to justify detaining him for 3 years without charge or trial.
        He can't answer that question because Hitch is, to be charitable, wrong.

Comment

I'm losing the arguments on the semantics rather than the overall idea. You both approached this with a politically (I'll use the charitable term) charged perspective with 'kidnapping' and 'bullet to the back of the head' view of China. I haven't been correct on some terms used, but I have pointed out how the process is broadly the same as in other countries. That there are many countries where if you are subject to court proceedings, you might have your right to exit a country stopped.

I gave the example of this in the US, where a higher court claimed it was acceptable in even commercial debt proceedings in the US.

The reason we feel comfortable talking about a case like this in China with emotive exaggerated terms, is because of how news is reported locally around 'banged up overseas' cases. Its all fed by the local lawyers and often relies on xenophobic views of the world to win 'its side' of often complex arguments.

I saw it for ten years in the UK - every 'justice' case abroad was used to hammer home how every country outside of the UK simply hadn't a clue whenever a Brit did wrong. It fed the nation's xenophobia, and ultimately was one of those many small factors leading to Brexit.

Whenever you see cases like this, as I said in my original post as my main point, its worth considering that the stories are being tried in the local media by one side only, and playing on our baser instincts.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Just tell us what multiple criminal offences he was charged with. Should be very easy for you given how definitive you are:

There were, of course, criminal charges against him. He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him.

Comment

Here's a thought exercise:

1. A young Chinese national in Dublin is arrested on suspicion of involvement in money laundering.

2. A Chinese PhD student in Chicago is accused of obtaining secret national information on space missiles from the lab he is studying at.

3. A British politician is claimed by The Telegraph to be 'in bed with the Chinese' after a Chinese company wiped a €400,000 debt he had built up with them over a failed export agreement.

To what extent, in each case, are you allowing the nationality of 'Chinese' to influence how you view the guilt or otherwise of the associated person?

Comment

Vogue time again, just in case anyone happened to forget about her.

Out of curiosity I actually read the whole "article" - how does it work, does she pay them to write these so she can cream whatever extra she earns from sponsorships etc?

Comment

We seem to have had essentially no winter this year.
                  Definitely winter in the mountains...very strong wind and rain...beautiful.(when you have the proper gear, people up here in soaked jeans!)
                  Third hike this week 2 hours, 3 hours, and 2 1/2 hours respectively. Plenty of gradient to get the lungs and leg muscles working.
                  Even incorporated a jog on the flat bits.

Sitting in the car eating my sandwich glad I didnt waste a day.

Committed to 3 good hikes a week now and building the jogging back up. All part of the physio for my back.

Comment

I feel my perspectives have been fairly consistent over the 12 years on here. First seeking a bit of evenness around Muslims when they were accused of being an innately flawed collection of people on here (by Roaul coincidentally). Then Russia, when its return to the limelight happened (by Raoul coincidentally). Then China, as Trump ramped up the anti-Chinese rhetoric (by Roaul coincidentally). It will inevitably next be India as their economic power grows. If we were here in the 1990s it would have been detailed discussions around the innate flaws of the Japanese. In the 1980s and 70s it would have been the threat from leftist ideologies in South America, as they sought to self-determine themselves.

Comment

Vogue is our generations Twink. She probably makes a fortune on Insta promotions, and this pushes people to her Insta? I don't know, but there has to be some commercial aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                        A new Korean Zombie apocalypse show from Netflix just dropped called 'All Of Us Are Dead'. It is getting great reviews.

Watched the first 2 and I know they like to overact a bit but it made the latter seasons of TWD look good.

Ill watch a few more before giving up to be sure.
                        This too shall pass.

Comment

I'm off to Italy next week to deliver a course on their Executive MBA*. Sat down yesterday to plan it, and started by looking up if their EMBA is any good. Call up the FT rankings and its ranked 6th best in the world - 6 places better than Oxford. The average salary of the students is $290,000 after completing the EMBA, a whopping 93% increase on their salary at time of commencing the programme. Tuition fees are €69,900. No pressure there then.

* EMBAs are different to the likes of Harvard in that they are part-time, with the executive continuing in their jobs, while Harvard does a full-time MBA so isn't on the same list.

Comment

I'm off to Italy next week to deliver a course on their Executive MBA*. Sat down yesterday to plan it, and started by looking up if their EMBA is any good. Call up the FT rankings and its ranked 6th best in the world - 6 places better than Oxford. The average salary of the students is $290,000 after completing the EMBA, a whopping 93% increase on their salary at time of commencing the programme. Tuition fees are €69,900. No pressure there then.

* EMBAs are different to the likes of Harvard in that they are part-time, with the executive continuing in their jobs, while Harvard does a full-time MBA so isn't on the same list.
                            Meanwhile the president of Hitch's college has been laundering money through virtual land dealings. Italy decide to hold Hitch captive indefinitely until the university sign over the lease to the virtual plot of land next to Snoop Dogg's e-mansion.

Comment

I feel my perspectives have been fairly consistent over the 12 years on here. First seeking a bit of evenness around Muslims when they were accused of being an innately flawed collection of people on here (by Roaul coincidentally). Then Russia, when its return to the limelight happened (by Raoul coincidentally). Then China, as Trump ramped up the anti-Chinese rhetoric (by Roaul coincidentally). It will inevitably next be India as their economic power grows. If we were here in the 1990s it would have been detailed discussions around the innate flaws of the Japanese. In the 1980s and 70s it would have been the threat from leftist ideologies in South America, as they sought to self-determine themselves.
                              Mmmhmmm.

Deflection Post #7. This might be a record Hitch!

We'll ask the question again: What criminal charges were you referring to?

There were, of course, criminal charges against him. He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Deflection Post #7. This might be a record Hitch!

We'll ask the question again: What criminal charges were you referring to?
                                This is classic operating procedure from you! Start losing the argument and focus on only an aspect of that argument to deflect from the main points. Your next step is to declare a win on dubious grounds. I'm not going to repeat my arguments, but they make perfect sense to my mind. On practice in other countries, meaning this isn't an anomaly, and on the fact that these local news stories don't give the full perspective.

Comment

On another note, I'm filling out a salary form for a UK university that seems to not acknowledge that IBANs exist. Have they ditched IBANs in the UK, the complete gobshites, or was that ever only a euro thing?

Comment

This is classic operating procedure from you! Start losing the argument and focus on only an aspect of that argument to deflect from the main points. Your next step is to declare a win on dubious grounds. I'm not going to repeat my arguments, but they make perfect sense to my mind. On practice in other countries, meaning this isn't an anomaly, and on the fact that these local news stories don't give the full perspective.
                                    You based your entire argument on a contention that O'Halloran was facing criminal charges.

So, for time #8, what were these charges?

This is pretty basic stuff. If you either feel the need to make up your own 'facts' or if you are unaware of the actual facts, then your argument is nullified.

So again, what charges are you referring to below?

He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him.
                                    What charges?

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Thanks, would you mind sharing details? Buy in/start time/stacks etc?
                                      Wed & Fri are €100 buy-ins for a 20k stack with 20 minute blinds and one re-entry for the 1st level.

Saturday is a €125 buy-in for a 50k stack with 20 minute blinds & unlimited re-entries for 6 levels.

Thursday's are only cash
                                      except the 1st of the month
                                      when they have a €250 tournament
                                      but I've no other details on that.

The structures are on the quick side,
                                      last night played down to a winner by 1:30.
                                      On the upside they're really well run
                                      and generate a decent prize pool
                                      with the winner getting over €2k.
                                      There's plenty of banter at the tables,
                                      bordering on "shouty", but in good spirit.
                                      Probably helps that there's a girl on the floor
                                      taking and delivering orders from the bar.
                                      Parkings a nightmare as the hotel sold
                                      their car park to developers but I'm nit picking.
                                      Speaking of nits I was the only one around
                                      most other players could be classed as "creative".

Comment

Ireland women leading Aus in the 7s final in seville. impressive! 5 minutes to go

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                          Ireland women leading Aus in the 7s final in seville. impressive! 5 minutes to go
                                          jeez, they messed that one up badly. should have won but lost the plot. Aussie win it when the clock was in the red. Great experience for the future

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Watched the first 2 and I know they like to overact a bit but it made the latter seasons of TWD look good.

Ill watch a few more before giving up to be sure.
                                            I did similarly and feel similarly about it. I don't think I will bother with any more of it. The zombie stuff has never really been my bag and only ever watched a season or so of TWD before binning it. Seems the hype train just flowed into this from Squid Games.

Comment

It must be some craic being a dog.

The amount of enjoyment you can knock out of a walk in the park must be equal to us humans taking a week in Vegas. Scents! Squirrels!! Other dogs!!! Rubbish!!!!

If hotspur is correct about Everything (and I see no reason to doubt him), then I want to stick in my reincarnation request now.

Comment

The amount of enjoyment you can knock out of a walk in the park must be equal to us humans taking a week in Vegas. Scents! Squirrels!! Other dogs!!! Rubbish!!!!

If hotspur is correct about Everything (and I see no reason to doubt him), then I want to stick in my reincarnation request now.
                                                Dogs have good craic all the time because they are stupid. Would you like to be reincarnated as a moron?

Comment

In fairness to Dominic Cummings, you really wouldn't want him as an enemy. Does grudge-bearing rather well.
                                                  Yikes.

The prime minister’s former chief adviser called his former boss a “complete fuckwit” whose only preoccupations were “Big Ben’s bongs” and “looking at maps” to “order the building of things” in his honour.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Wed & Fri are €100 buy-ins for a 20k stack with 20 minute blinds and one re-entry for the 1st level.

Saturday is a €125 buy-in for a 50k stack with 20 minute blinds & unlimited re-entries for 6 levels.

Thursday's are only cash

Who's running this? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything. Do they have cash games most nights? Any omaha? I live quite near and might pop down.

Comment

Theresa shrapnel

There are categories for prizes alright. Overall winner others like gross score on the bigger comps. I had one of my worst rounds in ages today, looked the first time I ever hit a golf ball. Blaming the few pints last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Dogs have good craic all the time because they are stupid. Would you like to be reincarnated as a moron?
                                                        Some might say it already happened.

You do have to appreciate the pure unadulterated enjoyment though. We humans are like that for a few years too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Thursday's are only cash

Thanks, sound good. What time are the tourneys start time?
                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Thanks, sound good. What time are the tourneys start time?
                                                            I got this from the Irish Poker facebook group

"We will be back on Wednesday @ 8pm for our 20/20 €100 entry, Thursday @ 7pm will see us introduce our First monthly game €250 entry, roll on Friday @ 8pm for our weekend opener €100 entry followed swiftly by the Saturday Deepstack @ 4pm 50,000 chips €150 entry."

Comment

A bird ftw . Who wouldnt love to fly to a destination of your choice without standing in a boarding queue.

You wouldnt last as a dog . No access to Shanahans , plus you'd probably spend your life on some Twinklike ol dears lap grunting the doggie equivalent of FML.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

LOL! Would love a pet monkey!! Dreams with IPBers are always strange (especially when you dream about some of the ones you've never met!).

can't stand the people who try and keep their handicaps high to win comps. pretty sad tbh, although as Theresa says, we now have divisions to minimise the effect of this. in the winter, division 1 often has a winning score of around 39, division 2 is usually won with 45 points.

problem is with the new system, you need to play at least 20 comps before it starts to stabilise. i started off at 24, then shot a 90 in comp (won it) handicap went down to 18, and now it's back up to 21, simply because i don't play enough comps for it to stabilise. i probably should be around 19
                                                                My golfing ambition is to lower my handicap not to win some meaningless glass trophy. Nothing better than a good round for good rounds sake . People cant really fool themselves when in the heat of the night.

Comment

Todays astonishing Wordle performance.

SPOILER
                                                                  meh didnt do it

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

My golfing ambition is to lower my handicap not to win some meaningless glass trophy. Nothing better than a good round for good rounds sake . People cant really fool themselves when in the heat of the night.
                                                                    I agree. I'm chuffed every time it goes down and gutted when it goes back up. I'll keep plugging away.

Comment

I did similarly and feel similarly about it. I don't think I will bother with any more of it. The zombie stuff has never really been my bag and only ever watched a season or so of TWD before binning it. Seems the hype train just flowed into this from Squid Games.
                                                                      Did you watch the hell monster one ? Watched the first but didnt grab me, brother watched it and said it was great !
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

^^^ Hellbound, really enjoyed that.

Comment

Hadn't even heard about it but just looked it up and I'll give it a spin.

About to give the second episode in the new season of Billions a watch. They might as well release a zombie virus into the mix at this stage cause it can't jump the shark anymore than it already has and not sure why I am still watching.

Edit - Thinking about that a little more, That would actually be very fun, to take an established show where you know the characters really well and throw them into some zombie chaos. It would be a cool spin-off to try.
                                                                          Last edited by Opr; 30-01-22, 21:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Ai Weiwei
                                                                            :“The West trying to understand China is like a soccer school trying to understand how to play a chess game”

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I got this from the Irish Poker facebook group

"We will be back on Wednesday @ 8pm for our 20/20 €100 entry, Thursday @ 7pm will see us introduce our First monthly game €250 entry, roll on Friday @ 8pm for our weekend opener €100 entry followed swiftly by the Saturday Deepstack @ 4pm 50,000 chips €150 entry."
                                                                              I heard somewhere that the Emporium were going to try to recreate the Fitz EOM but all there is on their website are Monday and Thursday €120 tourneys capped at 36 runners.
                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Bit mad how, after two years of covid and online shopping, the amount of places that still haven't copped that we all look at websites first to see whats what.

Comment

About to give the second episode in the new season of Billions a watch. They might as well release a zombie virus into the mix at this stage cause it can't jump the shark anymore than it already has and not sure why I am still watching.
                                                                                  I'm struggling to think of a show that lost the plot, literally and figuratively, more than Billions.

Comment

On another note, I'm filling out a salary form for a UK university that seems to not acknowledge that IBANs exist. Have they ditched IBANs in the UK, the complete gobshites, or was that ever only a euro thing?
                                                                                    UK Never signed up to SEPA (single european payments area) - they are SEPA reachable for banks that provide EURO accounts and those that do will provide an IBAN. Otherwise the have BACS and Fasterpayments for their normal interbank stuff and CHAPS which is over SWIFT which is how your transfer would travel with the FX charges on each side that go with that.

Comment

Who's running this? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything. Do they have cash games most nights? Any omaha? I live quite near and might pop down.
                                                                                      It's a joint venture between Brian Lannon &
                                                                                      Nick O'Hara with Glenn Doyle on the floor.

Cash games every night alright.
                                                                                      They're not quite worth the journey yet,
                                                                                      Night I was there it kicked off around 9:30
                                                                                      after tournament re-entries closed
                                                                                      and was still going at 1:30.
                                                                                      Never fully filled up but there was
                                                                                      a few decent stacks and plenty of action.
                                                                                      Mark Buckley's gang rocked in around midnight
                                                                                      and opened a 2nd table,
                                                                                      not sure why, ​maybe Omaha?

tldr: Cash games = yes, not great yet but potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I heard somewhere that the Emporium were going to try to recreate the Fitz EOM but all there is on their website are Monday and Thursday €120 tourneys capped at 36 runners.
                                                                                        They're planning a few bits 'n' pieces like that but nothing firm like a launch date yet.

This is me speculating on why but
                                                                                        I'd say they've a problem staffing
                                                                                        anything more than 4 tables.

Comment

Rush starting on BBC1 for anyone that hasn't seen it. Very good IMO
                                                                                          Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

UK Never signed up to SEPA (single european payments area) - they are SEPA reachable for banks that provide EURO accounts and those that do will provide an IBAN. Otherwise the have BACS and Fasterpayments for their normal interbank stuff and CHAPS which is over SWIFT which is how your transfer would travel with the FX charges on each side that go with that.
                                                                                            That seems mad given how useful SEPA is. My French bank, and I think all French banks, uses SEPA Instant, and it is literally 20 seconds for money to get to any other bank that also uses Sepa Instant, including Revolut. Such a class system.

I discovered that Revolut provides everyone with a working bank account in all currencies, including UK, so just gave my UK Revolut bank details to the wasters.

Comment

I'm losing the arguments on the semantics rather than the overall idea. You both approached this with a politically (I'll use the charitable term) charged perspective with 'kidnapping' and 'bullet to the back of the head' view of China. I haven't been correct on some terms used, but I have pointed out how the process is broadly the same as in other countries. That there are many countries where if you are subject to court proceedings, you might have your right to exit a country stopped.

I gave the example of this in the US, where a higher court claimed it was acceptable in even commercial debt proceedings in the US.
                                                                                              You are not losing on semantics you are losing on the basis of completely wrong. The examples you are using have no parallel to the case. A millionaire fraudster, or other criminal are held on remand or confine to the state/country for the crimes they have committed if they are considered a flight risk. Key part is in bold.
                                                                                              This is also why listing the charges against him is so central to the argument. The fact you couldn't list them is precisely why you are wrong.

This individual was held without any allegation that he had committed a crime. The allegation was against the Chinese owner of his company who was under investigation for his other business dealings in China (its not clear whether those dealings involved the same company). Detaining one individual for the actions of another in order to blackmail the business is not ok. Whether it's allowed for under their law does not make it ethical.
                                                                                              To make it worse, they only released him after getting their und of flesh from the Irish Government. Demanding payment for the return of an innocent person is quite literally a ransom demand.

Here's a thought exercise:

1. A young Chinese national in Dublin is arrested on suspicion of involvement in money laundering.

2. A Chinese PhD student in Chicago is accused of obtaining secret national information on space missiles from the lab he is studying at.

3. A British politician is claimed by The Telegraph to be 'in bed with the Chinese' after a Chinese company wiped a €400,000 debt he had built up with them over a failed export agreement.

To what extent, in each case, are you allowing the nationality of 'Chinese' to influence how you view the guilt or otherwise of the associated person?
                                                                                              In each case I'd weigh on the guilt or innocence of the person bases on the facts of the case and their actions. The nationality of 'Chinese' is relevant, then its also a minor piece of evidence to consider along with the larger main facts. I'm not sure what outcome you were hoping to achieve here.

Comment

I would like to give Reputation to this post more than twice.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                                                                This gallery has 1 photos.
                                                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

So it's 50 years since Bloody Sunday and I guess people largely don't want to be reminded about it. Discussing Joe Rogan or crypto or dogs or China or streaming platforms (Tidal is the answer BTW) or whatever and that's fine but remember the British army did this on our island in the year I was born and my old man went on all these civil rights marches before these murders to try and get a better life for him and his family. And plenty of us gaelgoir's and cèilidh and GAA folks were reared in fear of the British military.

We don't know how lucky we have it now... here's 10 mins of BBC footage from the time.

https://twitter.com/soundmigration/s...5vF_HODD4KTUXA
                                                                                                  Last edited by BennyHiFi; 31-01-22, 00:45.

Comment

Ah god Hitch. This is borderline virtue signaling.
                                                                                                    Muslims are copped a far amount of hate over the last 20 years. Typically backlash from obvious events. But I don't remember this place being anything like the general online cesspool.
                                                                                                    I doubt any one here thinks that all muslims are innately evil. But lets be honest, many aspects of Sharia Law are absolutely from the middle ages. "It's just there way" does not make cultural misogyny ok.

It's good to have fairness and evenness, especially around a large group of people. But it's possible to take it too far the other direction too, at which point you'll become a naïve stooge.
                                                                                                    But while we're on the subject of evenness to nationalities. Didn't you label Japanese most hostile nation in the world to outsiders only a few days ago. I found that surprising, given you self provclaimed champion of the little guy status. Especially given Japan reputation extreme politeness. They granted have an very insular view, just like the Americans for example.

Comment

That seems mad given how useful SEPA is. My French bank, and I think all French banks, uses SEPA Instant, and it is literally 20 seconds for money to get to any other bank that also uses Sepa Instant, including Revolut. Such a class system.

I discovered that Revolut provides everyone with a working bank account in all currencies, including UK, so just gave my UK Revolut bank details to the wasters.
                                                                                                      I hope revolut survive. I really do. But they are spending money hand over fist and the party will end sometime soon. N26 who preceded them (and whose tech I loved) are a basket case internally with a lol bad culture. Revolut are still buying customers most of whom provide no revenue, except that all important DATA asset. Yes they make on crypto (and stocks) and that may steadily improve but the bigger they get the higher the regulation bar. BOI and AIB can do little else these days other than spend most budgets at what they are directed to do.

Comment

Seamus knew the score...

Attached Files
                                                                                                        Last edited by BennyHiFi; 31-01-22, 00:28.

Comment

Originally posted by paul8200 View Post

I hope revolut survive. I really do. But they are spending money hand over fist and the party will end sometime soon. N26 who preceded them (and whose tech I loved) are a basket case internally with a lol bad culture. Revolut are still buying customers most of whom provide no revenue, except that all important DATA asset. Yes they make on crypto (and stocks) and that may steadily improve but the bigger they get the higher the regulation bar. BOI and AIB can do little else these days other than spend most budgets at what they are directed to do.
                                                                                                          Revolut is starting to offer loans Got a pop up a while ago to opt in ahead of launch. Admittedly I only use it for a few non euro purchases and handy cash transfers. Have they got the proper banking licence passport to cover deposits yet?

With ulster and kbc leaving the market its going to be really bad for the average punter in terms of the competition/pricing.

Comment

I think Revolut will be fine, they didn't lose that much money considering how fast they are growing and adding to the list of products they provide.

​​​​​​They are light years ahead of the Irish banks in terms of tech.

Comment

Listening sorted for the week

Listen to this episode from The Always Sunny Podcast on Spotify. Get ready, The Always Sunny Podcast is almost here, and there is no structure, so the guys just talk about the episodes for a while and then it just sort of… ends. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

From the article in the IT today -

"The fundraising predated Mr O’Halloran’s employment in the company and he was never accused of any wrongdoing, but was still stopped from exiting China as the court used his exit ban to try to secure the return of the investor money."

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
                                                                                                                  So it's 50 years since Bloody Sunday
                                                                                                                  I was in Derry on Wednesday and had to ask the guy I was with what some flags were in a unionist area - flags of the parachute regiment. Classy stuff.

Comment

I don't know, but Canada thinks its okay. And there wasn't an absence of charges in this case, it was decided by the courts, similar to the Huawei CFO, who was placed under house arrest. It's also a fairly standard part of bail conditions in the US where there is a flight risk that they have to surrender their passports.
                                                                                                                    There were *actual* criminal charges against the Chinese citizens in the US/Canada. They were being held pending trial. That's how it works in most countries. O'Halloran was never charged, and never had any prospect of facing trial. He was just held in China.

Yes, there was a judicial process which examined the legality of confiscating the passports after actual evidence was given, in a US Court, of the debtors' attempts to put millions of dollars outside the control of their creditors. That's called "due process".

You are, quite barefacedly, accusing RDIII of your own crime. You adopt a method somewhere between dead cat bounce and mental overload to achieve your goal. Keep moving, keep changing position, keep ignoring facts or arguments that don't suit you and throw another one in there to distract. Then, if that doesn't work, throw out another outrageous view and see can you get traction on that. It's what you do on Twitter and here. And it is very effective. And while I've had more than one run in with RDIII doing the old "just saying" type argument, he is not guilty of this one. You're the transgressor I'm afraid.

NOW: THE SUBSTANCE OF O'HALLORAN AND WHY YOU ARE WRONG.

Before he was even involved with CALS there was a crowdfunding scheme that lead to a dispute with investors and shareholders. He went to China to meet them and discuss the issues. He was chosen, I suspect, precisely because he was not involved with the crowdfunding issue and therefore was seen as a more acceptable face to the company's Chinese investors. He met them, discussed it with them and then tried to go home again. He was denied an exit visa and detained in China despite *never having been accused of, let alone charged with, any criminal action* by the Chinese authorities. The Chairman of the company he works for was detained in 2018, which precipitated O'Halloran's visit to China.

He was never charged or accused of being involved in a criminal conspiracy. Indeed, he was not even employed by the company until after the crowdfunding issue had already happened. China has its own system of justice, but lengthy detention without trial is an abuse of human rights wherever it occurs.

Your incessant need to justify actions of dictatorships and repressive regimes is more reminiscent of the actions of a propagandist and apologist than the freedom of mind granted by academic independence. Detaining a man, without charge, for three years is barbaric. It doesn't matter who did it, or indeed why, it is barbaric. Trying to justify it with false narratives is pathetic. Even if O'Halloran was guilty of a crime, detaining him without charge is wrong.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Would you have a pic anywhere of some of the earlier Royal Rumble epic snack nights?!
                                                                                                                      Seems imgur may have scrubbed a lot of them. It was a ridiculous show of gluttony and excess.
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I’ve not read through any of these posts on the subject . I do know it’s hard to apply any rhyme or reason to the acts of China in issues such as this.
                                                                                                                        However what happens if we fail to keep up with payments?

Comment

Are you sure you're familiar with the case Kayroo - he wasn't detained, he was prevented from leaving China. I'm using the common meaning of detention according to Merriam Webster, which defines detention as holding in custody.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X