This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Don't really find news all that interesting tbh, except maybe local Irish stuff.
    Speaking of local news (sorta), did you see that Irish lad who was held in China for three years and was only released now?
    The mafia would be proud of a shakedown like that.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I had thought he was in jail, he was just not allowed leave.

Comment

I normally yawn at these sort of things, and disagree a lot of the time but in fairness, this is outrageous.

Take Brendan O'Connor for instance. 4 hours on the radio. Let's assume he does another 15 hours in the background, and takes 3x weeks off. Why is he worth €230 odd an hour?

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Coming back to Bill Bailey. He's been a top class comedian (but possibly understated?) for years, 20+ at this point . Presume everyone has seen Black Books? Really good comedy series - probably 20 or so episodes, himself and Dylan Moran. As a fan of the slightly harder side of music, i did enjoy this...

Comment

Royal rumble haul isn't what it used to be. Case of whiplash body riddle helps though.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

and I yawn at people who think it is outrageous...

RTE Sells Commercial Advertising through program sponsors, Spot Adverts throughout the course of the show. They cost money, call up the LLS there and ask them how much it costs to become the headline sponsor of the show.

The rate for that sponsorship and those advert spots is directly linked to audience. Audience is a factor of host. Pay/Salary is a factor of audience and how much commercial revenue is exploited from that base through advertising and sponsorships.

That said, I am sure in isolation there are some outrageous numbers out there. But on average the system works about as well as it can.

Care to suggest an alternative system that doesn't end up with 4th and 5th rate presenters and a broken broadcasting product.
              RETIRE the Late Late Show . Saves a few bob. Id be happy with an RTe news and documentary channel . Then a music sports channel. Ditch the rest . Oh keep the Angelus

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                Coming back to Bill Bailey. He's been a top class comedian (but possibly understated?) for years, 20+ at this point . Presume everyone has seen Black Books? Really good comedy series - probably 20 or so episodes, himself and Dylan Moran. As a fan of the slightly harder side of music, i did enjoy this...
                or this one

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I've been surprised at how much I like Taylor Swift.
                  Shake it off is a straight up banger.
                  I'll be waggling my hips to that during the oldies section of my daughters 21st
                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Think newbie2 used to say the phone in competition on the LLS used to absolutely rake in money for RTE, I'd be certain it's a positive revenue outcome stream even with wages for Tubs.

That said, wish he would have fucked off to the BBC back in the day when he was half being courted by them on various stand in slots, Pat Kenny was a better interviewer
                    Last edited by Micknail; 30-01-22, 01:44.
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Speaking of local news (sorta), did you see that Irish lad who was held in China for three years and was only released now?
                      The mafia would be proud of a shakedown like that.
                      Sorry, wha? The mafia in your example are the scamming company he worked for, or China? We'd be all a lot better off living in a country that treat criminal company behaviour as criminal company behaviour, rather than treating it as less than shoplifting.

What he came up against, was that he was used to the Western Hemisphere where being a representative for a scam company seems to be largely accepted: 'I'm only a rep'. I prefer our system by and large, but referring to the Chinese gov that is trying to get recompense for the victims as the 'mafia' in this situation is maybe only something that someone deeply engrained in the amoralistic world of finance could say. The company he chose to be paid by, despite fairly open information out there on the company, were run by the literal mafia.
                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 30-01-22, 02:18.
                      "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                        I normally yawn at these sort of things, and disagree a lot of the time but in fairness, this is outrageous.

Take Brendan O'Connor for instance. 4 hours on the radio. Let's assume he does another 15 hours in the background, and takes 3x weeks off. Why is he worth €230 odd an hour?

ah laz. Chay? for the luv of god. And why wouldn't the late late host that brings in millions a year in advertising be paid a proportion of that. I realise I'm just echoing gab's point, but its worth emphasising. Your pay is surely linked to the revenue you bring in also, why wouldn't Tubridys. The lesson here is Chay - not even once.

Comment

Find myself quite struck (no pun intended) by this awful story of the man in Clondalkin that jumped on the bonnet of his car that was being stolen. That momentary mistake and that was all she wrote. Poor lad. Looks sound in the picture. I suppose we could all imagine ourselves making some sort of decision like it. I think in the US, because there was so much news coverage of the 'hero' shopkeeper who jumped on the shop robbers, that chain stores had to institute specific training to instill in staff that they should under no circumstance risk their lives for the shop. It's amazing, and maybe heartwarming, how many people will innately choose the hero option if given a choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Was a few goblets of dubbel and trippel deep when I posted that
                            the score posting (which I assume is a big social media thing) seems stupid though, d sad to think how many people are faking scores for kudos.
                            something that consistently amazes me in golf actually, ythe lengths people will go to to massage their handicap so they can get their name up in lights
                            For handicap bandits, well you understand their miserable behaviour but it does get annoying when big comps come around. One 12hc lad at my club was cut 3 shots for shooting a level par winter comp (granted it was 15 holes non-counting). Amazing the miraculous imorovements some lads make in winter ​​​​​​.

The one I don't understand is a guy who's desperately trying to hold onto his 10hc and now only returns half of his cards after comps. I've played twice with him and both times he asked me to stop marking on the front 9. I was also told by an experienced member to "mind my handicap" before Christmas to have a chance of making an inter-club team.

In general 9/10 people I end up playing with are not like any of the above examples whatsoever. It does amuse me when people go on about the good sportsmanship and ethos of the game.

Comment

Yeah, GAB and Hitch, your points do make sense, as I said I normally avoid populist simplicity whenever salaries are outraged against.

It's really the Brendan O'Connor one that jumped out at me.

Not too familiar with Chay Bowes Hitch, what's the craic with him?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I've been surprised at how much I like Taylor Swift.
                                She does have some very catchy tunes. I listened a few times to her folklore album, which i thought was half decent, and then i listened to some lana del rey and realised she just blew Taylor swift out of the water (i just she was like a Taylor swift for adults) . 2 or 3 albums in particular that i love are ultraviolence and chemtrails over the country club and norman fucking rockell.

Comment

Sorry, wha? The mafia in your example are the scamming company he worked for, or China? We'd be all a lot better off living in a country that treat criminal company behaviour as criminal company behaviour, rather than treating it as less than shoplifting.

What he came up against, was that he was used to the Western Hemisphere where being a representative for a scam company seems to be largely accepted: 'I'm only a rep'. I prefer our system by and large, but referring to the Chinese gov that is trying to get recompense for the victims as the 'mafia' in this situation is maybe only something that someone deeply engrained in the amoralistic world of finance could say. The company he chose to be paid by, despite fairly open information out there on the company, were run by the literal mafia.
                                  Jaysis Hitch.

I do realise that it's a bit of a game with you but kidnapping (because that's what detaining someone against their will without any criminal charge ever being brought) an Irish citizen for three years and shaking him down for ransom?

For shame sir.

Comment

What exactly was this man’s crime?

Aside from the fact it was a business dispute, which feels like civil rather than criminal. It occurred prior to this guy even working for the company. Supporting this is absolutely guzzling the red kool-aid.

Comment

Oh dear Mason Greenwood

Comment

Had a dream last night that Shrap had a pet monkey and I was marvelling at how cool a dude he is.

Comment

Anyone know of any monthly tournaments (€200+) that run in Dublin area these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            What exactly was this man’s crime?

Aside from the fact it was a business dispute, which feels like civil rather than criminal. It occurred prior to this guy even working for the company. Supporting this is absolutely guzzling the red kool-aid.
                                            Hmm. I'm not sure that's the only ethically correct way of viewing such disputes. That's just how Western business people wrote up the laws - that shoplifters get jail, and scammers through a business get mediation talks in a five star resort.

I prefer our system overall, but it's a perfectly valid legal approach to view these matters as criminal.

Plus, these media stories all tend to be fed from one sides legal team, rather than well thought through both-sides analysis. You see it all the time in the UK, where every single legal system in the world, when someone is "banged up abroad" - its always that the innocent Brit who was duped into shoving ten kilos of coke up his ass and shitting it out on the statue of a national diety is the victim of the overseas people who don't know what they are doing.

There tends to be almost no journalism involved in these stories. It's exclusively local lawyer fed.

You can see that with the Iranian-Brit person (an overall tragic story) locked up in Iran, where it has already been admitted she was a British agent to promote underground journalism, yet that is never reported in current stories - its all about the unfairness of Iran. But whatever about the individual tragedy, every country clearly has the right to lock up foreign subversive.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                              Royal rumble haul isn't what it used to be. Case of whiplash body riddle helps though.
                                              Would you have a pic anywhere of some of the earlier Royal Rumble epic snack nights?!

Comment

We seem to have had essentially no winter this year.

Comment

Had a dream last night that Shrap had a pet monkey and I was marvelling at how cool a dude he is.
                                                  Was it eating cheese and surrendering?

Comment

This Thursday in the Bonnington, a Start of Month (First Thursday) for 250e or so
                                                    Who running the event? Can't see anything online.
                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

We seem to have had essentially no winter this year.
                                                      Although if you look across the pond on our latitude, it looks completely different. Very weird.

I think I might be offered a move in that direction: 'shit weather' would definitely be in the top 3 reasons not to go.

Comment

Hmm. I'm not sure that's the only ethically correct way of viewing such disputes. That's just how Western business people wrote up the laws - that shoplifters get jail, and scammers through a business get mediation talks in a five star resort.

I prefer our system overall, but it's a perfectly valid legal approach to view these matters as criminal.

Plus, these media stories all tend to be fed from one sides legal team, rather than well thought through both-sides analysis. You see it all the time in the UK, where every single legal system in the world, when someone is "banged up abroad" - its always that the innocent Brit who was duped into shoving ten kilos of coke up his ass and shitting it out on the statue of a national diety is the victim of the overseas people who don't know what they are doing.

There tends to be almost no journalism involved in these stories. It's exclusively local lawyer fed.

You can see that with the Iranian-Brit person (an overall tragic story) locked up in Iran, where it has already been admitted she was a British agent to promote underground journalism, yet that is never reported in current stories - its all about the unfairness of Iran. But whatever about the individual tragedy, every country clearly has the right to lock up foreign subversive.
                                                        Just to be clear: are you saying that detaining people for years in a business dispute without either charges or trial is a perfectly OK thing to do?
                                                        Anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

For handicap bandits, well you understand their miserable behaviour but it does get annoying when big comps come around. One 12hc lad at my club was cut 3 shots for shooting a level par winter comp (granted it was 15 holes non-counting). Amazing the miraculous imorovements some lads make in winter ​​​​​​.

The one I don't understand is a guy who's desperately trying to hold onto his 10hc and now only returns half of his cards after comps. I've played twice with him and both times he asked me to stop marking on the front 9. I was also told by an experienced member to "mind my handicap" before Christmas to have a chance of making an inter-club team.

In general 9/10 people I end up playing with are not like any of the above examples whatsoever. It does amuse me when people go on about the good sportsmanship and ethos of the game.

The new handicap system sorts this out to a decent extent although it does still rely on people putting in cards/scores.

Lads who sandbag are so much worse than lads who have the ego cap.

Nature of the game, and nature of humans means that unless you play straight up it’s very hard to ever calibrate people’s true handicap.

Over here, all competitions are flighted and you play straight up in your flight, so +’s to say 2cap are in Champ flight. 2-8 in A flight. 8-14 in C. And then the rest in D. Is it not something similar back there?

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

You can see that with the Iranian-Brit person (an overall tragic story) locked up in Iran, where it has already been admitted she was a British agent to promote underground journalism, yet that is never reported in current stories - its all about the unfairness of Iran.
                                                            Do you have a source for that? Or are you referring to a statement Boris made that was afterwards retracted?

Comment

LOL! Would love a pet monkey!! Dreams with IPBers are always strange (especially when you dream about some of the ones you've never met!).

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

can't stand the people who try and keep their handicaps high to win comps. pretty sad tbh, although as Theresa says, we now have divisions to minimise the effect of this. in the winter, division 1 often has a winning score of around 39, division 2 is usually won with 45 points.

problem is with the new system, you need to play at least 20 comps before it starts to stabilise. i started off at 24, then shot a 90 in comp (won it) handicap went down to 18, and now it's back up to 21, simply because i don't play enough comps for it to stabilise. i probably should be around 19

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Who running the event? Can't see anything online.
                                                                Nick O'Hara & Brian Lannon.
                                                                They run festivals like the iPO regularly.

Have struck a deal with the Bonnington Hotel to run weekly tournaments & cash games
                                                                every Thursday through Saturday.
                                                                It kicked off this week and
                                                                they've been getting 60ish runners nightly.

There's a WhatsApp group with all the details
                                                                called Bonnington Poker info.

Comment

Perflectly valid legal approach? You going to have to explain how that’s the case.

Im not sure the eastern/western card flies here. That’s applies to people caught with drugs in Bali and banged up for life.
                                                                  But just because the totalitarian regime allows kidnapping, doesn’t make it ethical.

This is all waffle to distract from the fact you dodged the question.

It was a simple question. What was his crime? The individual who was detained for 3 years? You’ve claimed he was a criminal, should be easy to state his crime.

Comment

Just to be clear: are you saying that detaining people for years in a business dispute without either charges or trial is a perfectly OK thing to do?
                                                                    Anywhere.
                                                                    I don't know, but Canada thinks its okay. And there wasn't an absence of charges in this case, it was decided by the courts, similar to the Huawei CFO, who was placed under house arrest. It's also a fairly standard part of bail conditions in the US where there is a flight risk that they have to surrender their passports.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

It was a simple question. What was his crime? The individual who was detained for 3 years? You’ve claimed he was a criminal, should be easy to state his crime.
                                                                      I didn't claim he was a criminal anywhere? He was suspected of being involved in a criminal enterprise.

Comment

And its not 'kidnapping', lol. Its preventing people leaving a country while they face criminal investigation, which is standard in many countries. Including Ireland.

Comment

And its not 'kidnapping', lol. Its preventing people leaving a country while they face criminal investigation, which is standard in many countries. Including Ireland.
                                                                          Can't wait to see Kayroo's takedown of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Do you have a source for that? Or are you referring to a statement Boris made that was afterwards retracted?
                                                                            It's not published information, no. These things tend not to be for obvious reasons. But I suspect that is the case. Particularly from the Boris mistake. Why would he have had that thought in his head, given his foreign minister role at the time, or close to then, if it wasn't the case. A foreign minister doesn't accidentally believe someone is working for the British government.

Comment

Nadal back from 2-0 down to take it to a fifth set v Medvedev. Eurosport.

Comment

Can't wait to see Kayroo's takedown of this one.
                                                                                And the Huawei CFO detention takedown as well!

But sure, I eagerly await his explanation of how this is actually kidnapping.

Comment

I didn't claim he was a criminal anywhere? He was suspected of being involved in a criminal enterprise.
                                                                                  Therefore he is, by definition, innocent. I'm sure you agree with the fundamental precept of innocent until proven guilty.

They didn't even try to prove him guilty. They just kidnapped him and demanded a ransom, doing what dictatorships do.

Comment

A country is fully entitled to their own legal proceedings, and their own interpretation of what is civil and criminal law. We are probably too soft on categorising a lot of business scams as civil matters, primarily because politicians and business people move in the same social circles. Its not morally wrong to categorise this as a criminal matter, its a case of choices.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                      Nadal back from 2-0 down to take it to a fifth set v Medvedev. Eurosport.
                                                                                      Both of them look knackered. I think you would have to shoot Nadal to get him to lose from here though. Probably with an elephant gun.

Comment

A country is fully entitled to their own legal proceedings, and their own interpretation of what is civil and criminal law. We are probably too soft on categorising a lot of business scams as civil matters, primarily because politicians and business people move in the same social circles. Its not morally wrong to categorise this as a criminal matter, its a case of choices.
                                                                                        So, if it's a criminal matter, should there not be, you know stuff like actual criminal charges. A trial maybe? Due process?

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

Nick O'Hara & Brian Lannon.
                                                                                          They run festivals like the iPO regularly.

Have struck a deal with the Bonnington Hotel to run weekly tournaments & cash games
                                                                                          every Thursday through Saturday.
                                                                                          It kicked off this week and
                                                                                          they've been getting 60ish runners nightly.

There's a WhatsApp group with all the details
                                                                                          called Bonnington Poker info.
                                                                                          Thanks, would you mind sharing details? Buy in/start time/stacks etc?
                                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

After midnight in Melbourne. I wonder if playing that late has any impact on athletes.

How do you train for that?

Comment

Therefore he is, by definition, innocent. I'm sure you agree with the fundamental precept of innocent until proven guilty.

They didn't even try to prove him guilty. They just kidnapped him and demanded a ransom, doing what dictatorships do.
                                                                                              And a lot of countries, including Canada as in the case of the Huawei CFO, restrict the movements of people who are presumed innocent, but under investigation suspected of criminal acts. The Huawei CFO wasn't convicted of anything either, yet was detained for years. Millions of currently innocent people in every country spend time on detention while criminal proceedings are underway for them. Its a fundamental part of any criminal system. And to describe it as kidnapping is just bizarre.

Comment

It's not published information, no.
                                                                                                Ok, so we've gone from it's been admitted, to you suspect. Which is quite a jump!

Comment

So, if it's a criminal matter, should there not be, you know stuff like actual criminal charges. A trial maybe? Due process?
                                                                                                  Now you are just making stuff up. There were, of course, criminal charges against him. He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him. Thats how he was refused an exit visa - by the courts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Ok, so we've gone from it's been admitted, to you suspect. Which is quite a jump!
                                                                                                    Sure. I consider the Boris statement as being the admission. These things tend not to be widely publicised.

Comment

So, to summarise:

The Shanghai courts, like courts in many countries, decided there was a sufficient case to be answered, and revoked his exit visa.

This is a standard procedure in most countries of the world where there is a possibility of a flight risk. Including many prominent and high profile cases in supposed better legal jurisdictions like the US, Canada, UK.

He remained on bail while the investigation proceeded against him.

There was almost certainly criminal actions by the particular company. The open issue was the extent to which he was culpable.

Its a weird form of kidnapping that seems to only apply in his particular case and not the other countries where it is also a standard procedure. The very fact of using the word 'kidnapping' highlights the flawed logic.

Going back to my original point, that's why these national news stories, that are almost exclusively fed by the local legal team, are often a poor interpretation of the underlying story. Indeed, the UK versions of these stories, largely feed on xenophobic views of the world.

Comment

Found more 'kidnapping' cases in errant legal systems.

The judicial kidnapping of Julian Assange

Arrest of Huawei top executive Meng Wanzhou likened to kidnapping

Courts Can Take Debtors’ Passports to Block Flight

CHICAGO (CN) - Federal courts may confiscate the passports of debtors who are believed to be a flight risk, the 7th Circuit ruled.

After Pethinaidu and Parameswari Veluchamy defaulted on $39 million in debts owed to Bank of America, a federal judge ordered them to turn over financial records showing their assets.

The couple delayed for three months, asserting protection under the Fifth Amendment. The judge rejected their defense and ordered them to comply with the citations.

The court soon discovered that the Veluchamys had transferred about $20 million of their assets to India. The couple had also diluted or transferred ownership of their nonmovable U.S. assets.

Bank of America requested an emergency order compelling the Veluchamys to produce the funds that they had transferred overseas. The court obliged and also ordered the couple to relinquish their passports until the assets were reclaimed.

US pretrial detention

Nearly half a million people in the U.S. are currently being detained pretrial – in other words, they are awaiting trial and still legally innocent.

My point is not that these are acceptable, necessarily, just that it is standard procedure to detain or restrict the movements of people before trial, while criminal proceedings proceed against them. So, the idea that this is some sort of Chinese exceptional thing is clearly wrong.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 30-01-22, 13:32.

Comment

It's also a fairly standard part of bail conditions in the US where there is a flight risk that they have to surrender their passports.
                                                                                                          Bail conditions apply to people charged with crimes.

A country is fully entitled to their own legal proceedings, and their own interpretation of what is civil and criminal law..
                                                                                                          A country is entitled to make whatever laws they want,
                                                                                                          and whatever legal process they want? Lmfao.
                                                                                                          You’ve literally described every human rights violation in history.

You literally described his actions as criminal multiple times. That’s claiming he’s a criminal. Don’t think we need to pull up the definition.

But you’re still trying to dodge.
                                                                                                          What was he personally suspected of? The disputed deal occur before he worked at the company.

Comment

You suspect the Chinese could have applied their normal due process i.e. put a bullet in the back of the poor fella's neck, and Hitch would be the first to applaud it.

Comment

I didn't claim he was a criminal anywhere?
                                                                                                              Within an hour...

There were, of course, criminal charges against him.
                                                                                                              They do say it's the mark of a first-rate mind to be able to hold two opposing viewpoints simultaneously.

Comment

Both of them look knackered. I think you would have to shoot Nadal to get him to lose from here though. Probably with an elephant gun.
                                                                                                                Fuck me, some contest. Medvedev showing balls of steel.

Spare a thought for Novax?

Comment

any schedule out there for the Norwegian Poker Champs yet?

Comment

Fuck me, some contest. Medvedev showing balls of steel.

Spare a thought for Novax?
                                                                                                                    Physically, they look exhausted! Come on Nadal, finish him!

Comment

Now you are just making stuff up.
                                                                                                                      The irony.

Let's examine this:

There were, of course, criminal charges against him. He constantly appeared in court over the years as these criminal charges proceeded against him.
                                                                                                                      This is either wilful ignorance or just a flat-out lie.

O'Halloran was never charged in the Chinese courts.

The Journal succinctly and correctly describes the reality:

There are no allegations of wrongdoing against O’Halloran, but Chinese authorities have refused to let him leave the country while a financial and legal solution is worked out.
                                                                                                                      So does the Indo.

Mr O’Halloran was never accused of any wrongdoing or charged with any crime but he endured endless court appearances, hours-long police interrogations
                                                                                                                      Truth matters. If you literally make stuff up (and then, irony of ironies, accuse others of doing the same thing), then your entire argument on this, and pretty much any topic, is completely undermined.

Comment

Within an hour...

They do say it's the mark of a first-rate mind to be able to hold two opposing viewpoints simultaneously.

I'll let you ponder your ability to read by reflecting on that comment.

Comment

This is either wilful ignorance or just a flat-out lie.

O'Halloran was never charged in the Chinese courts.

This is an interpretation based on our legal system. He was the subject of court proceedings. Exactly when, in that point, formal charges are presented differs by country, but he was certainly in that process.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X