Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked ourselves to go to France in July but did something smarter than usual: booked the Dublin-Cherbourg route. A 10 minute drive to the ferry should take some stress out of the experience.

Oh, and 2 cabins. One for kids and one for adults. Winning.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I managed to mistakenly book this for when I am abroad (two weekends time), for when my father in law is here (next weekend) when booking this, and they aren't running anything on Jan 29th. Anyone any idea of something proper Irish, a bit of an event, that I could book in its place?
      He wants singing and dancing while he's eating?
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Booked ourselves to go to France in July but did something smarter than usual: booked the Dublin-Cherbourg route. A 10 minute drive to the ferry should take some stress out of the experience.

Oh, and 2 cabins. One for kids and one for adults. Winning.
        Would love that, sounds wonderful. Alas, a couple more years away for me unfort.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Screenshot_20220122-111801__01.jpg
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I managed to mistakenly book this for when I am abroad (two weekends time), for when my father in law is here (next weekend) when booking this, and they aren't running anything on Jan 29th. Anyone any idea of something proper Irish, a bit of an event, that I could book in its place?
            A lot of the same touristy crowd that go to Johnnie Fox's go to The Merry Ploughboy https://www.mpbpub.com/index.html The menu doesn't look as good, and I doubt they'll be back to normal service that soon.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

A lot of the same touristy crowd that go to Johnnie Fox's go to The Merry Ploughboy https://www.mpbpub.com/index.html The menu doesn't look as good, and I doubt they'll be back to normal service that soon.
              to be fair, the food during the hooley nights in johnny fox is absolute garbage. Shameful really. as their a la carte is OK

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Would love that, sounds wonderful. Alas, a couple more years away for me unfort.
                Same here for slightly different reasons.
                Starting to look closer at fair deal situation.
                It's a pricey business
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Its astonishing for a country like ours that Johnny Foxes is the answer to that question.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                    Its astonishing for a country like ours that Johnny Foxes is the answer to that question.
                    was up there for lunch when in Dublin in november. I was very sad to see that the par 3 golf course opposite was no longer there, as it was such a lovely spot on a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                      I'm guessing I won the coinflip that you lost.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Have to admit im very hands off in the fantasy football. However my mate analyses it like a lunatic . He texted me during the week like someone with a hot tip. Make Dennis your captain so i did sent off. I texted him this morning big smiley . He was mega pissed of as he had him as a triple capt ya have to know him . Devestated . Funniest thing in ages . Perhaps now he'll stfu about FF .

Comment

Have to admit im very hands off in the fantasy football. However my mate analyses it like a lunatic . He texted me during the week like someone with a hot tip. Make Dennis your captain so i did sent off. I texted him this morning big smiley . He was mega pissed of as he had him as a triple capt ya have to know him . Devestated . Funniest thing in ages . Perhaps now he'll stfu about FF .

In a somewhat similar situation. We've done FF for years now and my best mate has won it probably 8 out 10 times. He spends a redonk amount of time on it every week, insane amount of time, whereas I usually have missed at least 4 transfer deadlines by Christmas and then just give up.

However, this year, I'm paying a bit of attention, nothing major - I wouldn't spend any more than two hours a week on it - just real basic analysis and it's paying off. I'm top of the league and it is KILLING my mate. Last week, he captioned Ronaldo and I went with Bruno . This week he went with Dennis

I have so say, the pleasure I'm getting from winding him up>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> than the pleasure I'm getting from being top of the table for so long.

Conversation from last night

Me (already knowing the answer) : What happens if your captain gets sent off in a double game week?

Him : Minus 1 point and misses next game

Me : How much of a cunt does it make me if I'm sitting here drinking wine, chuckling away to myself at this

Him : I can't see how you can be any more of a cunt than your usual default cunt status. Cunt.

Comment

We only got up to 2000 in hospital on the 18th of January last year. On the 4/1/21 they were still below where we are now.
                              Thankfully this didn't age well. Omicron has been class.

Comment

Us blokes love the little wins merely for the slagging Lao Lao . Tis gas all right . Whereas if it were wimmin they'd be . Oh no Shiela you must have been so upset at the undeserved red card. Whilst secretly shrieking in delight.

Another liverpool fan i know thinks Carragher is a traitor as he is buddies with Neville .

Whilst wimmin are the fairer sex i must say men makes me laugh more due to the big child in us lurking just under the skin.. i myself lost the rag verbally over boy bands discussion one night years ago . Cringey looking back but im sure i took the bait to the amusement of others that night lesson learned .

Comment

Omicron great for countries with huge % of vaccinations - not nearly a good option for plenty of other countries unfortunately.

Comment

Not surprising we are stereotyped as drunken feckless rogues. The pandemic come to an end and our media is dominated by pub and nightclub opening coverage.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                      Omicron great for countries with huge % of vaccinations - not nearly a good option for plenty of other countries unfortunately.
                                      If their populations would rather live with restrictions instead of getting vaccinated, theres no helping them.

Assume you're talking about well developed countries, not 3rd world, poor ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                        I did the exact same as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                          Not surprising we are stereotyped as drunken feckless rogues. The pandemic come to an end and our media is dominated by pub and nightclub opening coverage.
                                          We will all have great lockdown stories that dont seem quite so funny yet but now .....like going into an empty pub for a meal asked did you book ? There is nobody here. Sorry you have to book , dodgy home haircuts etc etc . There will be books written about it.

Comment

Wasnt expecting Ozark to be a final season 2 parter. Feck,
                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Interesting conversation and summary of recent events around the lab leak 'theory'. It is scary to think how easy it is to create a conspiracy theory narrative and have people fall in line.

Starts at 1.11 if I haven't timestamped it right.

Comment

I see the Cryptobros/NFTsquad that bought the Dune thing for 3 million (guide price 40k) got shafted.

Happy to have it explained to me why this was thought to be a goer at all.
                                                I acknowledge this is peanuts to those lads, and is probably all done to launder funds regardless.
                                                ​​​​​
                                                Last edited by Micknail; 22-01-22, 16:57.
                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

We will all have great lockdown stories that dont seem quite so funny yet but now .....like going into an empty pub for a meal asked did you book ? There is nobody here. Sorry you have to book , dodgy home haircuts etc etc . There will be books written about it.
                                                  This actually happened in a restaurant in Killarney. 2 tables occupied. I said we dont have a booking but just wanted mains as we were in a slight rush. Lad says bookings only, told him we had covid passes and all, doesnt matter bookings only says he. Asked could I sit outside on 1 of the 4 empty tables. Nope, cos we haven't booked.

Madness Ted. It's like people lost all ability to make their own decisions during covid.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                    Interesting conversation and summary of recent events around the lab leak 'theory'. It is scary to think how easy it is to create a conspiracy theory narrative and have people fall in line.

Starts at 1.11 if I haven't timestamped it right.

https://youtu.be/s9n9db373e8?t=4264
                                                    It is looking increasingly bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this Peter Daszak character gets Epsteined shortly.

Some of the things the first guy in the clip says are still a bit questionable, probably goes too far in terms of degrees of certainty. But it does look increasingly bad.
                                                    Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 22-01-22, 16:21.
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                      I see the Cryptobros/NFTsquad that bought the Dune thing for 3 million (guide price 40k) got shafted.

Happy to have it plained to me why this was thought to be a goer at all.
                                                      I acknowledge this is peanuts to those lads, and is probably all done to launder funds regardless.
                                                      ​​​​​
                                                      Nah, they're just fucking morons.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

This actually happened in a restaurant in Killarney. 2 tables occupied. I said we dont have a booking but just wanted mains as we were in a slight rush. Lad says bookings only, told him we had covid passes and all, doesnt matter bookings only says he. Asked could I sit outside on 1 of the 4 empty tables. Nope, cos we haven't booked.

Madness Ted. It's like people lost all ability to make their own decisions during covid.
                                                        Would it have been possible to go outside and call them to make a booking?

Comment

A great way to get your missus to agree to your next telly being a 65" one is to go on and on about how deadly the 85" one you saw in Harvey Norman was.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

It is looking increasingly bad. I wouldn't be surprised if this Peter Daszak character gets Epsteined shortly.

Some of the things the first guy in the clip says are still a bit questionable, probably goes too far in terms of degrees of certainty. But it does look increasingly bad.
                                                            Its being presented there as if it was there was definite evidence that it came from that particular lab, there isn't.

While the origin of the virus remains an interesting interesting question at the time it was a highly politicised question that was utterly irrelevant and threatened to derail the critical the job at hand.
                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

That Puppet Master story on Netflix is something else.
                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Would it have been possible to go outside and call them to make a booking?
                                                                Hahahah. I did consider going out and ringing, while looking in at him but decided that was a load of fucking pony and didn't want to give him my money after that. Was just a little vexed as I had been harping on about the place to the missus and we were looking forward to it, but due to other plans that day which had no fixed time to finish, we couldn't book a table and be certain of making it.

Ended up going to a decent spot across the way who.took walk ins

Comment

Hahahah. I did consider going out and ringing, while looking in at him but decided that was a load of fucking pony and didn't want to give him my money after that. Was just a little vexed as I had been harping on about the place to the missus and we were looking forward to it, but due to other plans that day which had no fixed time to finish, we couldn't book a table and be certain of making it.

Ended up going to a decent spot across the way who.took walk ins
                                                                  Madness on their part really. A good manager there would have got you to 'book' in person and shown you to a table. Dopes.

Comment

Would this be a waste of money? I know a few here know their coffee machines.
                                                                    Mia loves coffee and likes to boast that she makes the perfect coffees at Bewleys in supermacs
                                                                    Small money if anyway good

Screenshot_2022-01-22-18-48-08-982_de.sec.mobile.jpg
                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                      Would this be a waste of money? I know a few here know their coffee machines.
                                                                      Mia loves coffee and likes to boast that she makes the perfect coffees at Bewleys in supermacs
                                                                      Small money if anyway good

Screenshot_2022-01-22-18-48-08-982_de.sec.mobile.jpg
                                                                      Yeah, it's for nothing. I spent ten times that on one recently.

Can't see any info on that image, have you a link?

Comment

Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Madness on their part really. A good manager there would have got you to 'book' in person and shown you to a table. Dopes.
                                                                          Yeah, covid really messed with peoples heads. He just had "guidelines" in his head and wasnt able to think rationally.

Which leads to a general point. Still see it sometimes with simple things. People have been told what to do for 2 years, it'll take some people a while to get used to living normally again.

Comment

Think it's this one https://www.lidl.ie/p/kitchen-utensi...machine/p18638 Might be worth a gamble, as long as your happy with bringing it back for a refund(which they are supposed to be handy for).

Comment

Buy that Michelle, you can't really go wrong at that price.

15 bar pump is decent enough. I am really only learning about how to extract the perfect espresso myself. There's gonna be some limitations to it but fuck it, with good coffee and good technique you should get value from it.

A few weeks ago I'd have definitely bought that to check it out.

Comment

Buy that Michelle, you can't really go wrong at that price.

15 bar pump is decent enough. I am really only learning about how to extract the perfect espresso myself. There's gonna be some limitations to it but fuck it, with good coffee and good technique you should get value from it.

A few weeks ago I'd have definitely bought that to check it out.
                                                                                Thanks for that I'll spin over to portarlington Monday as we're currently getting a new lidl so it's closed. Hopefully the people of port aren't into coffee!
                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

On that, it seems a real art to do it right, to get a good crema.

Enjoying learning about it. With the machine I bought you've got to waste a bit of coffee first to get the settings right, and do so again if you introduce new beans. The dose level, the grind setting, the heat.

All will vary depending on the bean. Then the tamp has to be spot on. Then frothing milk is a whole different set of rules.

Good fun figuring it out, and very rewarding when you get it right.

Am getting some top class coffee from it. Would recommend the splash out.

You do go through coffee a lot quicker with bean to cup than ground though I have found.

Comment

Although, I'm prob drinking more of the stuff than usual.

Comment

Enjoying learning about it. With the machine I bought you've got to waste a bit of coffee first to get the settings right, and do so again if you introduce new beans. The dose level, the grind setting, the heat.

All will vary depending on the bean. Then the tamp has to be spot on. Then frothing milk is a whole different set of rules.

You do go through coffee a lot quicker with bean to cup than ground though I have found.
                                                                                      Lol lol

Screenshot_2022-01-22-19-24-35-177_com.whatsapp.jpg
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Its being presented there as if it was there was definite evidence that it came from that particular lab, there isn't.

While the origin of the virus remains an interesting interesting question at the time it was a highly politicised question that was utterly irrelevant and threatened to derail the critical the job at hand.
                                                                                        The lab leak theory was fairly widely painted as a “holograms flew into the twin towers “ level conspiracy in the media from the off
                                                                                        it was never that , it was a risk that’s been flagged for years by reputable scientists but all of a sudden because it’s china plus trump on the bandwagon it’s a David icke level theory
                                                                                        bullshit
                                                                                        certainly not confirmed but I’d say still a front runner
                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Not sure what to describe this lad as. The word Gowl comes to mind. The American dream over before it started and facing a prison sentence instead all because he didnt want to wear a mask for a little while. Some lads haven't a brain.

Comment

Not sure what to describe this lad as. The word Gowl comes to mind. The American dream over before it started and facing a prison sentence instead all because he didnt want to wear a mask for a little while. Some lads haven't a brain.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/0122/1275189-flight-mask/
                                                                                            Seems like he was making his own decisions.

Comment

Ahh, can't read it

Comment

Seems like he was making his own decisions.

Lol. I'm not sure why you're trying to troll me with that as I thought it was blatantly obvious what I meant earlier.

Wearing a mask when required to do so is one such obvious decision to make. Unless you have another point I'm missing?

Comment

Ahh, can't read it

Comment

Lol. I'm not sure why you're trying to troll me with that as I thought it was blatantly obvious what I meant earlier.

Wearing a mask when required to do so is one such obvious decision to make. Unless you have another point I'm missing?
                                                                                                    You decided to drag up a post from 4/1 today and said it aged badly. I'm glad things didn't get worse, however that post was entirely correct at the time, and in the context in which it was posted. The post didn't age badly, covid did.

Comment

You decided to drag up a post from 4/1 today and said it aged badly. I'm glad things didn't get worse, however that post was entirely correct at the time, and in the context in which it was posted. The post didn't age badly, covid did.
                                                                                                      Jaysus. If I thought you were that sensitive to previous posts, I wouldn't have bothered.

It was absolutley nothing personal, I actually had to search my own posts to find that one as I couldnt remember who posted it, it just made sense in the context of low January numbers compared to last year.

I'll keep your sensitivity in mind in future and I apologise for any offence I may have caused. It was in no way intentional.

Comment

Jaysus. If I thought you were that sensitive to previous posts, I wouldn't have bothered.

It was absolutley nothing personal, I actually had to search my own posts to find that one as I couldnt remember who posted it, it just made sense in the context of low January numbers compared to last year.

I'll keep your sensitivity in mind in future and I apologise for any offence I may have caused. It was in no way intentional.
                                                                                                        Ah. It would be more fun if it was intentional

Comment

I had even quoted myself about how happy I was wrong 4 days later

Looks like the numbers in hospital are already levelling off. Glad to have been wrong about that.

FIffixjXsAEfQqw?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

Comment

Any beans you particularly like to recommend? Ponaire has been my favorite to order from and in particular, enjoyed the Mexican Jaguar. I spent a fair chunk on a decent machine and good grinder a while back. I do enjoy the whole ritual but it can be very frustrating at times trying to dial in a new bag and then I find the beans change quite quickly so if a bag sits for too long the extraction can be completely different and I have to go fiddling with it again. The spectrum of things you can change which affects it all can make it very tricky. The extent to which the freshness of the bean affects the whole process is incredible.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Opr; 22-01-22, 20:46.

Comment

Golfie boys That Harry Higgs seem a great character.

Comment

Any beans you particularly like to recommend? Ponaire has been my favorite to order from and in particular, enjoyed the Mexican Jaguar. I spent a fair chunk on a decent machine and good grinder a while back. I do enjoy the whole ritual but it can be very frustrating at times trying to dial in a new bag and then I find the beans change quite quickly so if a bag sits for too long the extraction can be completely different and I have to go fiddling with it again. The spectrum of things you can change which affects it all can make it very tricky. The extent to which the freshness of the bean affects the whole process is incredible.
                                                                                                                You really have to grow your own beans

Rasta - circa 2016

Comment

Yeah man, I think though that the elusiveness of it is what makes it enjoyable, the variables.

I've yet to really delve into bean varieties tbh, my favourite at the moment is Illy's med roast, although I preferred their dark roast ground. Haven't tried that yet in whole as I'm compromising a little with the missus.

Have just tried a couple of different small indie roasters' offerings, but I think I'm a little bit away from recommending any. Really just at the stage of getting some basics right.

The variables really are mad tbh, new found respect for coffee.

Comment

Was only thinking about you the other day opr, hadn't seen you post in a while.

Good to see ya

Comment

Have you a fancy grinder on the go too? I've been powering through coffee all year but am just buying ground bags from the supermarket. Got some Bewleys notions pre ground this week which I've found pretty decent tbh.

Comment

Will see how long it lasts but I’ve had major results postponing my just out of bed coffee to 11am and then not touching caffeine for rest of day- both energy wise and sleep wise
                                                                                                                        Was only a 2 or 3 a day man before that though - not sure how 8-9 a day freaks do it
                                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                          Have you a fancy grinder on the go too? I've been powering through coffee all year but am just buying ground bags from the supermarket. Got some Bewleys notions pre ground this week which I've found pretty decent tbh.
                                                                                                                          If you have a decent machine you really need to grind your own. I know how incredibly pretentious that sounds but once you start doing it and getting into the whole thing you see the difference is massive, The grind settings for each bean are completely different to pour the same quality of Espresso from each bean. Espresso grinders are tricky because they are machines to really only do one thing and that is to grind fine enough for Espresso. Cheap grinders simply won't produce anything like the fineness or consistency needed for Espresso. I did quite a bit of research before buying and this is generally considered the best in the price range but it is still a fairly eye-watering £500. Jame Hoffman on youtube is your guide for all things coffee but when people start asking about making good Espresso at home then I think the advice should be similar to Poker back in the day. Turn back now before it is too late . . . . .

Last edited by Opr; 22-01-22, 23:29.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X