Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just the 12 tries so far for Leinster against the clapassade eating surrender monkeys... If they hadn't played a bit shit in places they could have broken the hundred
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yep. True. Although frustratingly the simple point I was making sailed over many heads.
      If it was clear and obvious, then people would have agreed with you. By definition, no?

This isn't something basic like 'get vaxxed'.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I won't get into it, given your night, but isn't most crime committed by black people in the US.

Its not a racial thing obv, its an economic thing, that they don't have the same chances and so end up in the poorest section of society. And crime, naturally, emerges, from the poorest section of society. Theres probably more reason to fear economic crime than sexual crime, as its vastly more prevalent, and often has violence attached.

But yet - and this gets at emmets point - you might have a much higher probabilistic reason to cross the street in his case. Yet its obviously vastly wrong. Theres some sort of disconnect between your two points. emmet is both making sense and you are broadly making sense, its just your disagreement with emmet is wrong, he's made a perfectly valid comparison.
        The economic thing is a part of it but they are also treated quite differently than white people for the same crimes, or even accused & profiled more.. Now men in general get longer sentences than women, people with more asymmetrical faces get more time, but I think being a black dude in the US is way up there for being unfairly treated even aside from the economic disparity crime.

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-01-22, 15:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

It's just labelling and othering at play. We are a society, all of us.
          It is literally a penalty kick for the likes of Trump.

'liberal elites telling us how to live our lives, they want to turn boys into girls and teach children to be ashamed of being American'*

* I'm paraphrasing but you get the gist. It works!

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
            Just the 12 tries so far for Leinster against the clapassade eating surrender monkeys... If they hadn't played a bit shit in places they could have broken the hundred
            Shraaaaap should be setting fire to his beret in disgust.

Comment

Sorry if I offended you Willie. I know full well you're a good guy.

I guess I'm obsessed with the topic because I'm bringing up three girls.

Pretty terrified of the future tbh.
              Why? Seriously, am in a similar boat (only 1 girl so far!) but would urge you to spend some time re-assessing what you read/focus on. There has never been a safer time than now to be in Ireland, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world to live in. The news "it bleeds it leads" generally is a doom-monger that contributes negatively to our own assessment of what's happening in the country.

Perhaps the point I raised before about 'how we "treat" fear' should be thought about?
              Last edited by Emmet; 16-01-22, 15:12.

Comment

I think it's bizarre that you think the position I'm holding in a conversation about women's everyday issues is fringe woke leftism.
                I don't think it is fringe or there is anything wrong about trying to be a truly equal society but what you are doing is framing a very complex socio political debate in the context of an outrageous murder that i something like a once per 10 million person/year event in our society. Your starting position is that because of this murder all men must change their behaviour and not engaging with the reality of the gap between perception of fear and actual risk.

Then we get shown a video describing the behaviour that 'All men' need to change showing behaviour that if not criminal then nudging up against it.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Lol, that's just a very expensive sodastream!
                  Thats it. The design is lovely, so thats what you are paying for. Plus, my understanding is that sodastreams are manufactured on the Palestinian occupied territories, so didn't want to give them money.
                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Why? Seriously, am in a similar boat (only 1 girl so far!) but would urge you to spend some time re-assessing what you read/focus on. There has never been a safer time than now to be in Ireland, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world to live in. The news "it bleeds it leads" generally is a doom-monger that contributes negatively to our own assessment of what's happening in the country.

Perhaps the point I raised before about 'how we "treat" fear' should be thought about?
                    Yeah, see I know all of that. It's definitely irrational.
                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

The surprise hit of our household over the last month has been this rather fancy-looking carbonator. The small environmental impact is the reduction of consumption of about 15 bottles a week of plastic bottles of fizzy water, but its also rather nice sparkling water. Ireland seems to have gone down an odd route of sparkling its water to the point of aggression, compared to the much more gentle sparkles of the continent which the Aarke is great at. #MiddleClassPostoftheDay
                      What CO2 cylinder did you buy and how much was it, what about refills?

Lol, that's just a very expensive sodastream!
                      Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I have a friend who has one that cost thousands.
                      If I was a young lad looking to set up in business I'd be getting a small engineering firm to put together a combo boiling water / filtered and Carbonated water tap unit that could be delivered and fitted at a price point under 1K
                      Would take a fair bit of investment and a lot of hard work but I'm fairly sure it could make a lovely little business.

Comment

I don't think it is fringe or there is anything wrong about trying to be a truly equal society but what you are doing is framing a very complex socio political debate in the context of an outrageous murder that i something like a once per 10 million person/year event in our society. Your starting position is that because of this murder all men must change their behaviour and not engaging with the reality of the gap between perception of fear and actual risk.

Then we get shown a video describing the behaviour that 'All men' need to change showing behaviour that if not criminal then nudging up against it.
                        No SP, I've said numerous times that the murder started a broader conversation. The fact she was running in daylight. I've said multiple times that there's no reaching out to violent men.

The video was just to highlight some of the non violent shit women go through.

I'm obviously terribly bad at conveying a point given how many times I've repeated myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                          Looking up the lotto results. More than 186,000 people won €9.

Which equates to €1.7m ish

17 people could have 100k or 170 people could have 10k. The former can be a life changing amount depending on different factors. The latter is a nice few bob too.

€9 helps no one.

I honestly don't get it (i don't have my commercial (or any other) hat on)
                          A large proportion of that €9 win goes back in the lottery system, probably close to 50%. Whereas the €100K or €10K winner takes the money out.

Comment

If I was a young lad looking to set up in business I'd be getting a small engineering firm to put together a combo boiling water / filtered and Carbonated water tap unit that could be delivered and fitted at a price point under 1K
                            Would take a fair bit of investment and a lot of hard work but I'm fairly sure it could make a lovely little business.
                            Sort of related, my missus found the preponderance of bottles in bars a load of nonsense for what I called “minerals”.

They have a gun over here like something you described, choose a “pop”, hold a button, it’ll spit it out til you stop holding.

I’m sure it’s being used in some bars/clubs at home but she couldn’t get over the fact she was getting a full bottle of coke or tonic whatever it was when ordering drinks.

I tried to explain to her that as a young lad I worked “sorting bottles” for the local night club. The memories of the bottle room of Time after punchestown, knee deep in bottles, having to sort them all out to get your rebate.

We could have just used the gun she said.
                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Its this one (by SodaStream!). €30 for 60litres. But then there's refill containers, after you have your first container, which are €20.

Comment

Down the local last night from 5pm - 8pm and it was rammed at 5pm, 20 odd queueing to get in.Like it would never even be that busy at anytime on a Saturday bar a big Leinster/Ireland match.

8.05pm outside queue of young people to get into O'Briens.

Restrictions make no sense to me based on what i saw.

Comment

It definitely exists here already. Not aure of the price though

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

I'd be shocked if they haven't already done this. They have just chosen to exploit their current price point.
                                    Indeed, that's why I reckon that they are a product that's ready to go mainstream

It definitely exists here already. Not aure of the price though
                                    Been looking at the available options with daughter who is building and they are just off the charts stupid prices at the moment. But then everything new home related is silly prices now.
                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 16-01-22, 16:36.

Comment

Its this one (by SodaStream!). €30 for 60litres. But then there's refill containers, after you have your first container, which are €20.
                                      I'm refilling my own ones and after an initial outlay of c.130 for a cylinder and an adaptor it's costing just 60 for approx. 25 cylinders full.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

But they aren't trying to stop people drinking in groups at home, because you are largely mixing with people you already mix with at home. Its in pubs, restaurants, cinemas they want to reduce to lower cross-contamination. And maybe the pub is busy on Saturday, but it has probably shut nearly the whole rest of the week apart from Sunday afternoon, so it is having some effect. Giving some business on the weekend, and the lunchtime trade, is just a bit of a risk to allow pubs to be minimally financially viable.

So the restrictions reduce some element of cross-infection, but allow pubs, restaurants to survive - which, to me, makes some sense.

Comment

I'm refilling my own ones and after an initial outlay of c.130 for a cylinder and an adaptor it's costing just 60 for approx. 25 cylinders full.
                                          Oh wow! Could you link me to where to do that, so I can do the same?! I didn't even think that was a possibility.

Comment

Sorry if I offended you Willie. I know full well you're a good guy.

I guess I'm obsessed with the topic because I'm bringing up three girls.

Pretty terrified of the future tbh.
                                            STOP: I have girls too and I think you are way over obsessing and over exaggerating.

Comment

Oh wow! Could you link me to where to do that, so I can do the same?! I didn't even think that was a possibility.
                                              Got the adaptor here

And the cylinder here

But you should look at a crowd called AJ Edge in bray to get the gas

boards thread is the place to look

AJ is €10 for a 5KG refill IIRC, carbondioxide.ie is €15 so on that score the answer is yes, not sure if that carries all the way through their pricing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

STOP: I have girls too and I think you are way over obsessing and over exaggerating.
                                                Grand.
                                                Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Don't think he is tbh. The Murphy murder just shines a light on an area that men don't fully appreciate i.e. venurablity of women in general. So it is only natural to have increased considerations of this area, it is a vastly unreported issue in society and likewise we wouldn't necessarily appreciate the constant harassment women get that by and large are ignored by general society.

THe silver lining is though the fact that Murphy case also highlight how safe our society is as these cases are very rare in Ireland.
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Why was there not the same outpouring of anger at men when that unfortunate Mongolian woman was robbed and murdered on her way home from work last year?

Comment

Da ol mudder was on the phone .HB to me . I told her the mammies of Ireland are responsible for the behaviour of their sons . She needs to change her ways. You are not to big for a slap sez she . Hey sez I are you saying I turned out bad ? Ah its all assehole Will. Gotta love da mudder

Comment

Just a comment on the last couple days postings on women and fear etc

I see a thread on Twitter today from a woman saying she was a victim of an attempted carjacking in Dundrum last night. Thankfully she got away. Scary experience no doubt.

Plenty of comments about how its another thing women need to be afraid of, women arent even safe in their own cars now, more male on female violence etc etc.

Now a quick google seems to show a worldwide pattern of generally men being 2x or 3x more likely to be a victim of this crime (i doubt there are figures available in Ireland).

Social Media really does know how to ramp up rather irrational fears in people.

Comment

Why was there not the same outpouring of anger at men when that unfortunate Mongolian woman was robbed and murdered on her way home from work last year?
                                                          I think its natural (but unfortunate) that we naturally see parallels to our own lives when the victim is someone we can closely identify with. The 'young Irish teacher' is a lifestyle we all know, and probably know people like that. Its nothing against the poor other person similarly murdered.

Comment

Btw I hope Laz daughters are treated like queens when they get older . My lads better not turn into the 1% . One of them will be watched the other one is incapable of agression .

Comment

Slightly related to dice's point, theres a similar problem with cancers. That female cancers get far more attention and campaigns, while male cancers are largely ignored - or at least there is far less publicity around them. Meaning that there are higher death rates from the male cancers as they tend to be detected too late.

There's also far more boys dropping out of school than girls. Yet no 'keep boys in schools' campaigns, while there are a million 'get girls in STEM education' campaigns. There's 80% female teachers in schools - which might be the reason for boys not identifying with school as much, but similarly no campaign on that, while many many campaigns to reduce male representation in other professions. Its perfectly fine to reduce excessive male representation, but we should also address why there is inadequate male representation in the critical part of educating children.

Now its up to us to do something about that, but it does point to an imbalance in society that is probably increasing.

Comment

Maybe because she wasnt Irish and also because the person who killed her was a 14 year old boy.

Reminds me of the Rosa Parks story. She wasn't the first black woman to refuse to give up her seat, yet she was the famous one due to "marketability value" of her background story or something similar, as civil rights movements could promote a more high profile news story.
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Maybe because she wasnt Irish and also because the person who killed her was a 14 year old boy.
                                                                  I'd have thought that an immigrant woman walking home from work in the city center being targeted by a gang on bikes and that there are a documented number of such cases most thankfully not ending in death would be an absolute text book jumping off point for a national discussion on violence against women.
                                                                  Using a highly emotional outlier tragedy is exploitative and a way of shutting down discussion of complex topics IMO.

Comment

Exploitative by whom?

As far as I can see the discussion happened organically.

Comment

Slightly related to dice's point, theres a similar problem with cancers. That female cancers get far more attention and campaigns, while male cancers are largely ignored - or at least there is far less publicity around them. Meaning that there are higher death rates from the male cancers as they tend to be detected too late.

There's also far more boys dropping out of school than girls. Yet no 'keep boys in schools' campaigns, while there are a million 'get girls in STEM education' campaigns. There's 80% female teachers in schools - which might be the reason for boys not identifying with school as much, but similarly no campaign on that, while many many campaigns to reduce male representation in other professions. Its perfectly fine to reduce excessive male representation, but we should also address why there is inadequate male representation in the critical part of educating children.

Now its up to us to do something about that, but it does point to an imbalance in society that is probably increasing.
                                                                      'A lack of male role models' is definitely a factor too.

Comment

It's interesting to see how the most serious covid stat, i.e. deaths, is increasing rapidly in the US since New Year but not in the heavily vaccinated countries of Western Europe.

Points to a potentially horrific time in Eastern Europe as Omicron sweeps through there.

Comment

2 X Negative. Get the fcuk in!

P.S. Giving out about being harassed every day doesn't make one part of the 'liberal elite'.

Blaming the left for the excesses of the right is lol funny.
                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                            Blaming the left for the excesses of the right is lol funny.
                                                                            Trump wasn't (and isn't) funny.

Hectoring, shrill, lecturing tone from certain segments of the left\liberal spectrum enable him and his ilk. It's not a great look when the biggest recruiters for populist scumbags like him are those unwittingly fuelling his agenda.

Comment

Quooker Taps already do this. Have only seen them advertised on TV in the last few weeks so could be a relatively new brand, haven't looked them up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                Down the local last night from 5pm - 8pm and it was rammed at 5pm, 20 odd queueing to get in.Like it would never even be that busy at anytime on a Saturday bar a big Leinster/Ireland match.

At just before 5 o'clock yesterday, I decided to head to the pub to watch the Utd game. Herself came along with me (for pints rather than football)

Ranelagh has 6 pubs. One was closed and we got turned away from the other 5 as they were completely full. In each pub, there was up to 15 people being turned away.

We tried The Barge on the way into town and got one of the last three free tables there.

I'd say town was rammed.

Comment

I never understand people who go to petrol pumps that are on the opposite side of their tank. I'd always wither wait for a free one or turn and reverse to get filled if there was space to do so.

Yesterday filling up the tank, there is an aul one in front of me wrestling with the pump to get it across to the other side of the car and eventually gets it in, or so I thought.

About 30 seconds later, she lets out a shriek - the pump wasn't in fully and the petrol was flowing down the side of the car to the point there was a pool of petrol all round her feet. She only kopped it as it started to lap up over her shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                    I never understand people who go to petrol pumps that are on the opposite side of their tank. I'd always wither wait for a free one or turn and reverse to get filled if there was space to do so.
                                                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

And theres a little arrow beside the fuel gauge pointing towards the fuel cap side....handy for car hire.

Comment

Exploitative by whom?

As far as I can see the discussion happened organically.
                                                                                        Its seems unusal that the deceased is consistently referred to on a first name basis in media reports. Its at odds with the standard convention of Ms This or Mr That in news reporting. This suggests an inorganic aspect in the tone of some of the coverage to me at least.

Comment

At just before 5 o'clock yesterday, I decided to head to the pub to watch the Utd game. Herself came along with me (for pints rather than football
                                                                                          How is our bet going, himself seems to have dried up on the goal front lately?

Comment

doesn't make much of a difference imo as long as you are correctly positioned for it.
                                                                                            Actually sometimes prefer filling on the opposite side as you are facing the handle and pump readout naturally.
                                                                                            That said, can't remember the last time I got diesel and didn't just fill the tank anyway.
                                                                                            Last edited by Micknail; 16-01-22, 20:36.
                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Quooker Taps already do this. Have only seen them advertised on TV in the last few weeks so could be a relatively new brand, haven't looked them up yet.
                                                                                              > 3K for a combo boil / filter / Carbonated fitted

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

14 goals so far, just past the half way point of the season.

I would have liked to have more goals at this stage.

You're definitely favourite at this point.

Comment

14 goals so far, just past the half way point of the season.

I would have liked to have more goals at this stage.

You're definitely favourite at this point.
                                                                                                  Would like Rangnick to bench him for added humiliation and lols.

Comment

Reading between the lines of the news, it seems like the Guards are very confident the perpetrator is the guy currently hospitalised in Dublin?

Comment

Woop, Ireland just beat the West Indies in a three game series in the Carribean.

Something incomprehensible to those of us who can remember the teams of Marshall, Garner, Dujon, Grrenidge, Haynes and the Masta Blasta, Viv Richards. I remember seeing them massacring Ireland in Rathmines as a small boy in the Eighties and you could never imagine we could ever beat these Gods in their own backyard.

Comment

Anyone have any good experiences with buying reading glasses online? I know people buy contact lenses online, wondering if it's worth my while doing the same for a couple of spare pairs of specs.

Comment

Would like Rangnick to bench him for added humiliation and lols.
                                                                                                          Currently benched and has missed last few games through hip injury anyway. Age catching up on him

Comment

He's injured and it wasn't a bet it was daylight robbery
                                                                                                            Last edited by limpwhacker; 16-01-22, 22:45.

Comment

John McCormack on twitter likes to tease out the Karens . Not normally a fan of his but the past two dsys its been entertaining.

Comment

Ole's next project?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

A large proportion of that €9 win goes back in the lottery system, probably close to 50%. Whereas the €100K or €10K winner takes the money out.
                                                                                                                  Correct and right. Which is why, even in my drunkenness i bracketed the last part

At least that's why i think i did it.

Comment

Yep. True. Although frustratingly the simple point I was making sailed over many heads.
                                                                                                                    I agreed with your fundamental point.

Ultimately though (and i think this - often cause it seems to happen me alot), maybe it's sailing over your head and not theirs?

No idea, very emotive subject of course. But alot of very smart people on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I tried to explain to her that as a young lad I worked “sorting bottles” for the local night club. The memories of the bottle room of Time after punchestown, knee deep in bottles, having to sort them all out to get your rebate.
                                                                                                                      Worked in a bar for years. Sorting bottles was by far my least favourite part of the job. Not a whole pile of fun in trying to do said job with about 20 sugar hungry, manic aggressive wasps attacking all the time.

Somehow never got stung but got huge pleasure in trapping them with bottle caps when they decided to venture down into the empty bottles.

Comment

At just before 5 o'clock yesterday, I decided to head to the pub to watch the Utd game. Herself came along with me (for pints rather than football)

Ranelagh has 6 pubs. One was closed and we got turned away from the other 5 as they were completely full. In each pub, there was up to 15 people being turned away.

We tried The Barge on the way into town and got one of the last three free tables there.

I'd say town was rammed.
                                                                                                                        You need to get yourself a local

Comment

Seamus Power has started birdie birdie opening two holes at Sony Open.

He is 2 back. T-2.

Has a real shot.
                                                                                                                          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X