This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

There is more salt in your average slice of bread than there is in most packs of crisps nowadays..
    Who eats bread these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      The Danish design purchase has arrived.

Safe to say they have divided opinions, which I suppose is the point.
      What do they do?

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

People on the doughel?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post

Cool ok - thanks v much! Wanted to make sure. Been on hold >45 mins with Aer Lingus and needed to ask elsewhere!
          just found this which confirms

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

What do they do?
            Take someone's eye out
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
              Training up a grad at the moment and the app we use for calls has dropped for the day.

Told her to just use one of the office phones instead - it was her first time using a landline phone.

Confirmed old now.

I was talking to a young one in here yesterday and she was telling me about something we need to do for an upcoming project, as in she needs to do it but needs my help.

I joked 'What do you mean "we" pale face?'

I was met with a WTF face.

'It's a quote, do you not know it?'

'WTF?'

'From the Lone Ranger!'

'Who?'

'Tonto says it to the Lone Ranger'

'Tont what?'

I then explain in depth about the programme and the joke, etc so she Google's it and then replies, 'You do know I was only born in 1996 don't you?'

FML

Comment

Also, LOL at the Tayto v's King debate.

They all made by the same company in the same factory, same same but different.

Comment

I've seen young adults eating crisp sandwiches at parties.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

What did HJ have for breakfast after getting out on the wrong side of the bed?
                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

I've seen young adults eating crisp sandwiches at parties.
                      I tried eating crispy feathers last night. They were tasty at the time but they left me a little down in the dumps.

Comment

Also, LOL at the Tayto v's King debate.

They all made by the same company in the same factory, same same but different.
                        Heard that recently, not buying it until a proper mythbusters reunion investigation
                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
                          Passport expired and doubtful renewal will come in time for scheduled flight.

With Aer Lingus can drivers licence be used in lieu of expired passport? (Return flight to Paris)
                          Only to the UK afaik.
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Only to the UK afaik.
                            Yep, if we were in Schengen drivers licence would probably work, but we're not. It works to the UK (but not with Ryanair) because of the common travel area.

Comment

I then explain in depth about the programme and the joke, etc so she Google's it and then replies, 'You do know I was only born in 1996 don't you?'

FML
                              Before and after the county final the other day there was lots of chat about it being 31 years ago since they'd won, that team was mostly lads who I'd grown up with and had been playing together under the same trainer since under 10's.
                              That evening I was telling my father about it and he was talking about the previous winning team that his uncles played on in 1931 when he was a baby but he would have known most of the team growing up, indeed I remember a few of them myself as old men. Pictures were dragged out and then I went online to see if there was a video of the match on you tube to show him. Instead I found a snippet of coverage of the '91 game and it was mind blowing to see all those I now know as oul lads, as young as the team of kids that lined out on Sunday. It's hard to explain the feeling, something quite disconcerting like culture shock to be looking at three groups all locked in time at the same cliched football pictures across ninety years.

It's just occurred to me that I knew more of the '31 team personally than I do lads on the current team!
                              Last edited by Strewelpeter; 09-11-21, 14:57.

Comment

Heard that recently, not buying it until a proper mythbusters reunion investigation

Used to be called Largo Foods before they changed their name to Tayto Snacks.

Our Brands

Tayto Snacks represents the most iconic snack-food brands in Ireland including Tayto, Hunky Dorys, King, Hula Hoops, KP Nuts, Perri, Rancheros, Skips and Meanies. Combined, these brands have a leading market position representing an almost 50% share of the Irish snack-food market.

Our brands have great heritage and a unique relationship with Irish people, which we cultivate through our advertising campaigns, in-store activations and in the digital environment.

Comment

The red headed woman that presented...wow !
                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Before and after the county final the other day there was lots of chat about it being 31 years ago since they'd won, that team was mostly lads who I'd grown up with and had been playing together under the same trainer since under 10's.
                                    That evening I was telling my father about it and he was talking about the previous winning team that his uncles played on in 1931 when he was a baby but he would have known most of the team growing up, indeed I remember a few of them myself as old men. Pictures were dragged out and then I went online to see if there was a video of the match on you tube to show him. Instead I found a snippet of coverage of the '91 game and it was mind blowing to see all those I now know as oul lads, as young as the team of kids that lined out on Sunday. It's hard to explain the feeling, something quite disconcerting like culture shock to be looking at three groups all locked in time at the same cliched football pictures across ninety years.

It's just occurred to me that I knew more of the '31 team personally than I do lads on the current team!
                                    On a related, but entirely different note,reading about Dean Stockwell (RIP) earlier today, I saw a picture of him presumably from his 20's when he looked to me almost unrecognisable compared to 'peak' Dean Stockwell, which to me is Quantum Leap. Aging and the passage of time is a very different thing when looking backwards with pictures/videos than just talking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

What did HJ have for breakfast after getting out on the wrong side of the bed?
                                      09736fa1-1f28-44b0-873e-2a0c16c533c8.jpg

Spicy watermelon - the only way to start the day.

Comment

Georgian brandy is amazing. Never tried their wine.

I hear it's a great country with insanely friendly locals?
                                        genuinely is a lovely country with great people, especially if you get them started about rugby. It’s still quite a new country, they apparently sacked the entire police force in the recent past and made them reapply and satisfaction levels went from low single digits to high 90s. I spent a week there and found people to be very nice, but like any country I’m sure you could find trouble if you wanted it.

How does a self respecting tight bastard steal BBC these days? Peak of regular television in the form of MasterChef the professionals starts tonight!
                                        Thanks I always keep an eye out for it!

Comment

Mates dad used to work for both. They shared a distribution centre but never a factory.

Then he said that he’s not sure what the story is now ffs

Anyway they are 100% not the same crisps
                                          Last edited by elbows; 09-11-21, 16:16.
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Only time to eat Tayto is at Tayto Park or the variety box at Xmas in the MIL’s
                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

On a related, but entirely different note,reading about Dean Stockwell (RIP) earlier today, I saw a picture of him presumably from his 20's when he looked to me almost unrecognisable compared to 'peak' Dean Stockwell, which to me is Quantum Leap. Aging and the passage of time is a very different thing when looking backwards with pictures/videos than just talking about it.
                                              Met Dean Stockwell at my golf club years ago (pre mobiles) was a huge quantum leap fan

Comment

They also make hunky dories as well.
                                                Nothing is sacred
                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

They also make hunky dories as well.
                                                  Nothing is sacred
                                                  I miss Sam Spudz.

Comment

What do they do?
                                                    They provoke thought and emotions.

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Just me or has Succession disappeared up its own ass?

It's not even that funny anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 6starpool View Post

When you're old enough to be both your kids teachers aul lad and you bump into them in the pub and they address you as "Mr" did it for me.

Comment

It's actually just about exactly as good as it ever was which is about 10% as good as people make it out to be. It is the exact same scenario all the time they have now just removed the pretence that there is any real plot or drama and have let it become just an improv comedy show set in 5* hotels.

Comment

Watched Dune the other night, albeit at home, while enjoyable, seemed like a really long TV episode. Lot of similarities to Foundation i thought.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                              Watched Dune the other night, albeit at home, while enjoyable, seemed like a really long TV episode. Lot of similarities to Foundation i thought.
                                                              Someone else I know watched it at home and wasn't that impressed. Some films are meant to be watched on the big screen with big sounds I reckon. I went for IMAX and I think it benefited from that.

Comment

I'm enjoying it although the most recent episode wasn't the greatest i thought. It's difficult to pinpoint why i like it though as all the characters are pretty dislikable, it can't really be like how any huge multi-billion media org is ran (or maybe) and storyline is pretty outrageous at times.

Brian Cox adds so much to it though.

Oh, and the theme song is fantastic too.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

I'm enjoying it although the most recent episode wasn't the greatest i thought. It's difficult to pinpoint why i like it though as all the characters are pretty dislikable, it can't really be like how any huge multi-billion media org is ran (or maybe) and storyline is pretty outrageous at times.

Brian Cox adds so much to it though.

Oh, and the theme song is fantastic too.
                                                                  It's pretty transparent (right wing media billionaire with a Scottish name...hmm, who could that be?) but the first two seasons had some great comedy moments. Tom is a hilarious character.

They've gone down this route of Kendall vs Logan in S3 and it's just not working out. Although I do find the daughter unsettlingly erotic.

Comment

Ooh..I could go for some spicy watermelon flavoured crisps right now.....genius that HJ lad!

Comment

51 years old and healthy thank providence. Fully vaccinated and won't be doing a booster shot. Those doses should be distributed to people living in low-income countries. Booster shots to the fully vaxxed healthy is not going to make any significant difference to spread rates.
                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Jaysis, HJ has more hair on his chin than his head these days.

Melon-munching will do that to a man.

Comment

I was talking to a young one in here yesterday and she was telling me about something we need to do for an upcoming project, as in she needs to do it but needs my help.

I joked 'What do you mean "we" pale face?'

I was met with a WTF face.

'It's a quote, do you not know it?'

'WTF?'

'From the Lone Ranger!'

'Who?'

'Tonto says it to the Lone Ranger'

'Tont what?'

FML
                                                                          You do have the upside though of making cultural references that, if they understood them, would completely appall them.

I'm forever saying 'A1 Sharon' to my kids, which I guess is something I should try and grow out of.

Comment

I did get my kids to watch an episode of Fawlty Towers on Netflix. The youngest thought it was hilarious, middle one found it boring and eldest was horrified and said it was the most racist thing she'd ever seen (episode where the Major uses the N word). I did make the mistake of trying to give the cultural context of the times, which only made it worse.

Comment

09736fa1-1f28-44b0-873e-2a0c16c533c8.jpg

Spicy watermelon - the only way to start the day.
                                                                              Me gran has those sunglasses too.

Comment

You do have the upside though of making cultural references that, if they understood them, would completely appall them.

I'm forever saying 'A1 Sharon' to my kids, which I guess is something I should try and grow out of.
                                                                                Still think you need to watch all of Star Trek TNG, mostly so you'll get all the other references that your co-employees have been using with you. It's a great show anyway.

Comment

Quite disappointed with my blood test results from last week. Despite losing 12kg since the start of the year, my fasting glucose levels have continued to creep up (now 6.3 mmol/l) and well into the pre-diabetic area. There really isn't much scope for reducing sugar intake a lot further, though I suppose I'll try cutting the carbs further and getting a lot more exercise. Just so annoying when I'm feeling much better than I have in years.

Comment

Succession may be crap but Larry is right back on form in the new series of Curb. Plenty of decent LOL's so far, taking advice from a stage 3 cancer patient, Mary Ferguson, Patton Oswalt and the whole actress thing

Comment

Some weekend to be home. Wedding on the Sat and out to Newbridge to watch the game on Sun. Had to go to day 2 at Kavs after the match so didn’t get to head down to club but heard it was rammed.

On the Tayto v King debate they have the same owners. Son is an old buddy of mine and the sister is the Irish athlete Natalya Coyle. I don’t think they were made in the same place though it would make sense.
                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Still think you need to watch all of Star Trek TNG, mostly so you'll get all the other references that your co-employees have been using with you. It's a great show anyway.
                                                                                        I can see the Duke now. Getting himself a tea, Early Grey, hot and then getting the kids to engage in setting up Star Trek, TNG on the internet so he can make it so and view all episodes.

Comment

How is Klaus Schwab not being kept locked up in one of those electrified cages they keep supervillain baddies in in movies?
                                                                                          grade A nutter
                                                                                          Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Whats spicy watermelon? Pop some chillis flakes on, I guess, and anything else? I'd imagine it might also need a small bit of salt to enhance the chilli flavour.
                                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

I can see the Duke now. Getting himself a tea, Early Grey, hot and then getting the kids to engage in setting up Star Trek, TNG on the internet so he can make it so and view all episodes.
                                                                                              Never been a sci-fi person in books or film and never will be. No idea why, it's just not a genre that appeals.

Comment

I disagree, I find it pretty enjoyable and while more dramatic for obvious reasons it’s not “wholly” unreflective of a large cap US corporate. I could imagine similar bullshit in the GE Immeult years, who despite a long list steals the award for most egregious corporate governance when he not only flew private everywhere, he had a second Jet follow him around in case the first broke down.

It's actually just about exactly as good as it ever was which is about 10% as good as people make it out to be. It is the exact same scenario all the time they have now just removed the pretence that there is any real plot or drama and have let it become just an improv comedy show set in 5* hotels.
                                                                                                The fact they are son dislikeable definitely adds to it. The scene about the tattoo with Roman makes the mind wander

Comment

Lara Marlowe's book sounds like a good read.
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Bob should be marginally quicker I reckon, if he is a competent spinner - as he just has to repeat the previous action once he gets his first H.
                                                                                                    Alice has a task which veers towards random throwing and will get the HT combination at expected intervals.
                                                                                                    They'd probably have to run it a few times for Bobs edge to appear, as it's such a tiny edge.
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Alice never has to go back to the start once she hit's a H so she is faster.
                                                                                                    Originally posted by Theresa View Post

SPOILER
                                                                                                    Alice passes the first test and never has to retest it so she’s faster. Poor old Bob needs to pass two tests in a row all the time. No idea the number of tosses would have to write it down.
                                                                                                    All correct, it’s part of a problem to be solved by Markov Chains which many of you are probably already familiar with but I found it interesting.

Comment

Also bought a few bottles of Meerlust 2016 in O’Brien’s yday to see what I’ve been missing out on.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                                                        I disagree, I find it pretty enjoyable and while more dramatic for obvious reasons it’s not “wholly” unreflective of a large cap US corporate. I could imagine similar bullshit in the GE Immeult years, who despite a long list steals the award for most egregious corporate governance when he not only flew private everywhere, he had a second Jet follow him around in case the first broke down.
                                                                                                        :
                                                                                                        Ironically enough, GE just confirmed their plans to break themselves up this week.

I worked there on a 6-month contract once; it was the most ludicrously bureaucratic place I have ever set foot in.

Comment

Whats a good word to describe topics that include:

1. Domestic politics
                                                                                                          2. Transport
                                                                                                          3. Crime
                                                                                                          4. State of our cities
                                                                                                          5. Court cases

I'm not sure its 'politics', we already have a 'geopolitics' label for topics that include all the standard world beefs.

'Domestic politics' maybe? But would that include things like court cases.

Someone suggested 'domestic affairs' but I think that's too UK specific

Someone else suggested 'law and order' but I think that's too US specific

Is there a nice term that might describe all these features of living in a country?
                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                            Whats a good word to describe topics that include:

1. Domestic politics
                                                                                                            2. Transport
                                                                                                            3. Crime
                                                                                                            4. State of our cities
                                                                                                            5. Court cases

I'm not sure its 'politics', we already have a 'geopolitics' label for topics that include all the standard world beefs.

'Domestic politics' maybe? But would that include things like court cases.

Someone suggested 'domestic affairs' but I think that's too UK specific

Someone else suggested 'law and order' but I think that's too US specific

Is there a nice term that might describe all these features of living in a country?
                                                                                                            local or national issues/agenda/topics/affairs ?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                              See the blood transfusion service are short again.
                                                                                                              Anyone who can really should donate, it costs nothing but some time.
                                                                                                              And you get loads of free Tayto
                                                                                                              Donated for the first time last Wednesday, Got a text to say it was used today in St. Vincent's Hospital.
                                                                                                              Went to sign up in 2020 and they said no new donators so had to wait until this month.

I had heard about Tom Dunne going on about the shortage of blood back in 2019 when he had heart surgery and that there was only 1 days supply in the country.

Edit: only cheese and onion, rank. I gave out.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Micknail; 10-11-21, 11:52.
                                                                                                              ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

HAs there ever been as big of a disgrace of an ex president as Obama? (Obv trump will run him close but early days)

his COP26 speech last week was just a chefs kiss example of hypocrisy-
                                                                                                                prez who oversaw one of the greatest increases in fossil fuel extraction in us history lecturing the plebs about how they must do more after flying in on private jet from one of his multiple mansions.
                                                                                                                remember his utterly narcissistic and covid rule flouting 60th birthday party recently also.
                                                                                                                Yet the Irish media still go weak at the knees about him as he’s a dem and patronised us a few times

GW bush had the decency to slink off the stage and take up painting, Clinton at least pretended he was trying to help out when he broke cover
                                                                                                                struggling to think of an ex pres who sold out so blatantly after leaving office (Netflix deals etc)
                                                                                                                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  Whats spicy watermelon? Pop some chillis flakes on, I guess, and anything else? I'd imagine it might also need a small bit of salt to enhance the chilli flavour.
                                                                                                                  Yes, they put lemon and chilli on it. If you are prepared for it it's delicious!

Comment

Yes, they put lemon and chilli on it. If you are prepared for it it's delicious!
                                                                                                                    Does sound nice, would hardly keep you going though for more than an hour?
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

Donated for the first time last Wednesday, Got a text to say it was used today in St. Vincent's Hospital.
                                                                                                                      Went to sign up in 2020 and they said no new donators so had to wait until this month.

I had heard about Tom Dunne going on about the shortage of blood back in 2019 when he had heart surgery and that there was only 1 days supply in the country.

Edit: only cheese and onion, rank. I gave out.
                                                                                                                      Yeah the text is a nice touch, gives you a nice little hit of the warm fuzzys.
                                                                                                                      Shame they only started it recently.
                                                                                                                      In for my 20th in Dec
                                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Does sound nice, would hardly keep you going though for more than an hour?
                                                                                                                        Yeah, it's just a snack. You don't need breakfast, though it's a myth. You have trained your mind to expect food in the morning and your brain misses the insulin response.

Comment

Yeah, it's just a snack. You don't need breakfast, though it's a myth. You have trained your mind to expect food in the morning and your brain misses the insulin response.
                                                                                                                          Makes sense to eat something if you are out doing "actual" work for the day.
                                                                                                                          Me, sitting on my hole typing away doesn't really need the energy input.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X