This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
    Have a few hours to spare in Dublin tomorrow so thinking of getting in a round of golf.

Any recommendations for somewhere that's in reasonable condition this time of year and not extortionate for a green fee?
    Not Dublin but if you are by any chance traveling down the n7 then Palmerstown Golf Course outside Naas is a good track, can’t speak to condition this time of year but it’s always in tip top when I’ve played it.
    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
      Have a few hours to spare in Dublin tomorrow so thinking of getting in a round of golf.

Any recommendations for somewhere that's in reasonable condition this time of year and not extortionate for a green fee?
      Howth is in great nick at the moment. Green fee very reasonable.
      His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Luttrelstown is ideal Colicam

Comment

Another "leafy" area.

Comment

I see we are now back to working from home being the preferred option. It didn't last long.
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The house is starting to look a bit more like a normal house.

SPOILER

There was a leak in the bathroom, meaning a fair bit of the kitchen ceiling fell down. Replaced the ceiling. Skimmed all the walls and ceilings. It looks a lot better now.

9dOBwu0l.jpg

Living room is actually starting to look fairly nice. Filled in all the fireplaces, as we just didn't want them. Filled in an extra door we didn't want. Skimmed all the walls and ceilings. The ceilings were previously all spackle ceilings, so all the rooms in the house were done. There was so many chunks missing from the walls but now everything is smooth as a babys ass.

dthh2phl.jpg

58SbKCzl.jpg

Next steps. We have two plumbers coming in next week to give quotes on the bathroom, which has been fully pulled out.

We have the whole rewiring of the house starting on Thursday. Will bring everything up to modern standards. Four sockets per room, new fuseboard, charging port for the car, loads of stuff, costs a fortune. Encourage your kids to be electricians, people.

New internal doors arriving in about two weeks.

The obvious flaw is that we have done the walls before the rewiring, but our handyman who is managing the general house refurbishment says the skimmer will come back to fix the walls then.

Need a guy to fit a kitchen, but I think balfejohn's mate might be available to do that, and he seems to know what he is doing.

Got delivery of all the common laurel yesterday, so the task for next week is to plug that into the ground.

The other decision I made was to extend the rent on our current place until the end of December, as the stress was too much, as seen in my explosion last week.

Comment

Did you order the windows yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  Did you order the windows yet?
                  I don't think we'll be able to afford the windows. To do all the back windows of a smallish house would still be a fair whack, no? Like, 10k?

Comment

I was reading that its worth popping an extra 200mm of insulation in the ceiling, as the older houses all only had 100mm. Plus resealing the current windows, plus some sort of external cover for the kitchen extractor fan hole in the wall where you change it to only allow air out, not air in. Hopefully that dramatically improves the current insulation at a reasonably low cost.

Comment

Great day out at the Kildare county final today, Naas defied the bookies opinion that they were a 2/1 dog to dominate the first half and hold on grimly against a resurgent opposition and a ref who appeared to want to award the game to the Newbridge team. Proper cup final game by far the best game of football I saw this year and to be out on a beautiful autumn day in the biggest crowd I've seen in two years was a great buzz.
                      Would like to watch a replay of the game, didn't see any signs of an RTE ofr TG4 crew there but I suppose something will turn up on YT at some stage.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So you’re going to rewire and reinstall all the electrics in the two rooms where you just replaced the ceilings and plastered everything?

i know your handyman said it would be grand but just seems like more hassle and work than needed. You’re also at the mercy of the sparks caring about doing it cleanly and then getting the plasterer to come back for a small job.

still, hope it works out for you.
                        Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

In the program there was probably the most GAA thing ever in a listing of all the players of the Ballyna Minor team...

Poor Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                            So you’re going to rewire and reinstall all the electrics in the two rooms where you just replaced the ceilings and plastered everything?

i know your handyman said it would be grand but just seems like more hassle and work than needed. You’re also at the mercy of the sparks caring about doing it cleanly and then getting the plasterer to come back for a small job.

But he left ducting and traces everywhere because no professor of behavioural economics could fail to make adequate provision

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

Well he wasn't meant to do the plastering before the electrics, I feel we had carefully discussed that also, but that's a done deal now. So hopefully there's a plan for fixing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I don't think we'll be able to afford the windows. To do all the back windows of a smallish house would still be a fair whack, no? Like, 10k?
                                Can put u in touch with a window man
                                good lad and very good on the price
                                done a nice job for me in june

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

But he left ducting and traces everywhere because no professor of behavioural economics could fail to make adequate provision
                                  Professors of behavioural economics tend to operate on a principle that everything is a bit fucked up. Its those mainstream economists who start with the assumption that everything in the world makes sense as a starting assumption. Ah well, tis done now, and I suppose its reasonably lowkey difficult to get him back in to fix the bits of newly crumbled walls. The walls are ridiculously nice at the moment. Not a bump, not a blemish, to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

I might need to check the budget! We're hoping your pal Ciaran will make the tiny box kitchen into a star. He seems like he can do anything, and with style. Actually we were hoping he might do the extension in due course also, but that involves finding loads more cash.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                      Great day out at the Kildare county final today, Naas defied the bookies opinion that they were a 2/1 dog to dominate the first half and hold on grimly against a resurgent opposition and a ref who appeared to want to award the game to the Newbridge team. Proper cup final game by far the best game of football I saw this year and to be out on a beautiful autumn day in the biggest crowd I've seen in two years was a great buzz.
                                      Would like to watch a replay of the game, didn't see any signs of an RTE ofr TG4 crew there but I suppose something will turn up on YT at some stage.
                                      Spent the day in Navan at the Meath County finals myself. County star Vikki Wall put on an exhibition as red hot favs Dunboyne won by 20 points or something outrageous in the womens final. Some top quality from herself and Emma Duggan.

In the mens game, Wolfe Tones, the 11/4 underdogs, beat red hot favs Dunboyne to win by 3 points but the result never looked in doubt. They also beat defending champions Ratoath in the semi final so they're worthy champions. A dour enough game so thankfully we got a decent amount of action in the women's match.

Agree on the crowd. Full house in Navan, great to see and great atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        Surely he missed a trick there; should be out shovelling leaves into those DCC blue bags and handing out hot chocolate to his constituents who choose to join him in the leaf battle. Man Of The People type stuff.

Round here you can barely move for auld fellas swooping on the piles of leaves and exterminating them as soon as they hit the deck. Then leaving a tidy pile of blue bags at the ready for the corpo men to chuck in the lorry. If it was an Olympic sport, Clontarf would be taking home golds in all weight classes.
                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Abbaye was a win and your in race for the BC sprint. Also, BC essentially pay for all euro runners entry and travel expenses, likely 80%+ of total costs are covered.
                                          Interesting, that never even crossed my mind that they would subsidise the costs of the foreign contingent.

Does that apply in cases like the Melbourne Cup or the HK Vase etc too? Or indeed those megabucks races out in the Gulf? Or Royal Ascot?

Comment

Originally posted by balfejohn View Post

Likewise will dig out the guy we were recommended when we moved in here.

All the Irish guys said that it’s windows out or nothing and the windows were done. He came round, redid the seals and tinkered with a few bits.

Obv windows will need to be done at some stage soonish but what he did made a massive difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

It is very common. Melbourne Cup offer no subsidy for foreign runners other than maybe 2 x flights for the owners. Costs 100k or so to ship from Ireland/UK and run in the MC.
                                              Makes the whole Vintage Crop raid seem even more daring in retrospect.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Surely he missed a trick there; should be out shovelling leaves into those DCC blue bags and handing out hot chocolate to his constituents who choose to join him in the leaf battle. Man Of The People type stuff.

Round here you can barely move for auld fellas swooping on the piles of leaves and exterminating them as soon as they hit the deck. Then leaving a tidy pile of blue bags at the ready for the corpo men to chuck in the lorry. If it was an Olympic sport, Clontarf would be taking home golds in all weight classes.
                                                It's a pity the weather here turns them to such mushy shit.

I remember being in Sacramento at this exact time of year, walking down the street shin deep in dry rustly leaves. Was lovely.
                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I think people underestimate just how much good a decent local property tax returns to the place you live in. I realise its not quite the same as your case where people are volunteering, but that effect multiplied is the benefit.

Areas just look spectacular when there's a decent amount of money to go on local services. Streets are swept, not a spot of litter anywhere.

In Rennes they were repaving the streets every two or three years - a big deal if you travel in anything other than a car as you feel every bump.

Every weekend something going on, for free, that everyone could go to. Something family-like in the day time, and younger audience at nighttime. Flying in international exhibitions.

Beautiful parks where someone would turn up to take your BBQ coals away (as you might remember). Always thinking about new ways to be fun and exciting.

And its a cumulative effect also, as you might build a park one year, a skating place the next year, an ice rink the year after, and at the end of it, you have all the accumulated goodies.

My nearly only solid political thought is that local tax is amazing tax. (Obviously providing you also make sure that no area gets left behind.)

Don't get me wrong, I think Dublin is a beautiful messy city, love it. I just don't understand how people are so opposed to paying a few quid towards local amenities, as its the biggest benefit going.

Comment

Three hours filling out an application for a position that involves doing more work for the exact same pay. Theres one born every minute.

Comment

I think people underestimate just how much good a decent local property tax returns to the place you live in. I realise its not quite the same as your case where people are volunteering, but that effect multiplied is the benefit.

Areas just look spectacular when there's a decent amount of money to go on local services. Streets are swept, not a spot of litter anywhere.

In Rennes they were repaving the streets every two or three years - a big deal if you travel in anything other than a car as you feel every bump.

Every weekend something going on, for free, that everyone could go to. Something family-like in the day time, and younger audience at nighttime. Flying in international exhibitions.

Beautiful parks where someone would turn up to take your BBQ coals away (as you might remember). Always thinking about new ways to be fun and exciting.

And its a cumulative effect also, as you might build a park one year, a skating place the next year, an ice rink the year after, and at the end of it, you have all the accumulated goodies.

My nearly only solid political thought is that local tax is amazing tax. (Obviously providing you also make sure that no area gets left behind.)

Don't get me wrong, I think Dublin is a beautiful messy city, love it. I just don't understand how people are so opposed to paying a few quid towards local amenities, as its the biggest benefit going.
                                                      Well, SF have pledged to abolish it (presumably replacing it with magic money from the magic money tree). In fairness to the, councils across the land have been competing to see who could reduce their own revenue streams the most by offering the biggest reductions to their constituents.
                                                      I paid mine last night and saw that I'd had the maximum allowed reduction, 15%.

Comment

Covid cert checks some joke - not one of the places I’ve been in that have asked to look at it have cross referenced it against a form of ID, could just be using a screenshot of someone elses
                                                        im talking places all over the country including leafy parts of Dublin
                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                          Covid cert checks some joke - not one of the places I’ve been in that have asked to look at it have cross referenced it against a form of ID, could just be using a screenshot of someone elses
                                                          It's not a perfect system, but it's better than no checks at all. fwiw it was the same in Italy when I was there last month, check for the cert on your phone but no id cross check.

Also, I think the scenario of using someone elses cert would be fairly rare.
                                                          It needs Person A to have been responsible enough to get the vaccine, and then be irresponsible enough to lend it to refusenik Person B, whilst ignoring the risk that the subterfuge is caught on a random ID check leading to Person A no longer having a valid cert and all the hassle that that would cause for them.

Comment

Only place that looked for other ID with me was the Bord Gais Theatre. Pubs also asked for a phone number, though I'd routinely give a fake number for that kind of stuff anyway.
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

It's not a perfect system, but it's better than no checks at all. fwiw it was the same in Italy when I was there last month, check for the cert on your phone but no id cross check.

It needs Person A to have been responsible enough to get the vaccine, and then be irresponsible enough to lend it to refusenik Person B, whilst ignoring the risk that the subterfuge is caught on a random ID check leading to Person A no longer having a valid cert and all the hassle that that would cause for them.
                                                              It's starting to look like we were ahead of the European autumn\winter curve. Case and hospital numbers increasing fast (in a similar way that ours did 2/3 weeks ago) in Germany, Belgium, Netherlands etc.

Not that this is a comforting thing, but we (including the public health experts) were scratching our heads and wondering why we were different from everyone else. Seems that we are likely not.

Comment

Slovakia, Czechia, Poland etc all spiking in similar way

But of you go further South, where the weather is still warmer, you don't see the same trends. France, Spain fairly flat and Italy starting to tick up.

I wonder if you chopped Italy up into North vs South, would the North be looking spikier as the weather turns colder. Suspect it would.

I further wonder is a big spike in US numbers (which have been falling for weeks) imminent?

Comment

Do people genuinely believe the numbers that are trotted out ? Eamon Ryan got a positive then a negative the next day. Nhpet say pcr test is only .1 percentage wrk h Eamon was a 1000/1 shot then. I know other people who got false positives. Was asked for I’d with my very on Saturday night. I do refuse to wear a mask going for a piss when I’m sitting down without one. People thinking the booster will sort things if double jabbed has not stopped it why would treble or quadruple Jabbed help. I’m going to guess there will be no other type of flu this year just covid and some other cooly named variant.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                    Do people genuinely believe the numbers that are trotted out ? Eamon Ryan got a positive then a negative the next day. Nhpet say pcr test is only .1 percentage wrk h Eamon was a 1000/1 shot then. I know other people who got false positives. Was asked for I’d with my very on Saturday night. I do refuse to wear a mask going for a piss when I’m sitting down without one. People thinking the booster will sort things if double jabbed has not stopped it why would treble or quadruple Jabbed help. I’m going to guess there will be no other type of flu this year just covid and some other cooly named variant.
                                                                    Well obviously the numbers are massively under the true number of cases due to asymptomatic cases not detected, people who just ignore symptoms and don't get tested. 80% of cases are mild or asymptomatic.

We'll probably never know how many though.

So yeah, the case numbers are clearly far lower than they should be. Hospitalisations and deaths though are going to be on the money.

Comment

Need to roll out that third jab asap. Seems its very effective at reupping protection.

Read something similar about the flu jab before, that you shouldn't get it too early in the flu season, as it will have effectively waned away by the time the real flu season starts around February.

Comment

Well obviously the numbers are massively under the true number of cases due to asymptomatic cases not detected, people who just ignore symptoms and don't get tested. 80% of cases are mild or asymptomatic.

We'll probably never know how many though.

So yeah, the case numbers are clearly far lower than they should be. Hospitalisations and deaths though are going to be on the money.
                                                                        Think natural immunity better than they experimental vaccine for those that survive it.

Comment

Think natural immunity better than they experimental vaccine for those that survive it.
                                                                          Which experimental vaccine?

Comment

Which experimental vaccine?
                                                                            Covid 19 one. Pzizer Moderna Johnson and Johnson. It’s new was an emergency did not have time to do large scale clinical trials. Of course the side effects reactions down played nobody knows what the long term effects are let’s be honest.

Comment

Covid 19 one. Pzizer Moderna Johnson and Johnson. It’s new was an emergency did not have time to do large scale clinical trials. Of course the side effects reactions down played nobody knows what the long term effects are let’s be honest.
                                                                              I think your frame of reference needs updating. They're all now fully authorised. For example, to take the one most of us have probably got - Pfizer.

Comment

I think your frame of reference needs updating. They're all now fully authorised. For example, to take the one most of us have probably got - Pfizer.
                                                                                Authorised for sure the ceo of the big pharma company’s said alls good start injecting early get the kids when they are in the womb.

Comment

They says prevention may I get a refund if get the disease despite being double jabbed ? Lots of vaccinated people getting sick vaccines are working next two weeks critical keep jabbing your young children ducking abusers.

Comment

I see Lottie Ryan said herself and the sister got spiked over ten years ago in a Dublin nightclub probably the father done it.

Comment

None are fully approved by the EMA AFAIK. Just Conditional Marketing Authorisation.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yesterday afternoon felt like death warmed up , aching all over etc. Thought feck covid . Come the late evening I felt great , even went for a 15 minute jog at 11.30pm . I did eat spinach so perhaps it was a Popeye Placebo .

Comment

I see Lottie Ryan said herself and the sister got spiked over ten years ago in a Dublin nightclub probably the father done it.
                                                                                          Myself and the missus got spiked in Vegas . True story . Apparently I turned into Capt Caveman and was basically lifting people head high.

Comment

I have finally falling victim to the figet spinner .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                              Yesterday afternoon felt like death warmed up , aching all over etc. Thought feck covid . Come the late evening I felt great , even went for a 15 minute jog at 11.30pm . I did eat spinach so perhaps it was a Popeye Placebo .
                                                                                              There's something ganky going around. My two eldest have been out of school coughing, sick. Both tested negative though so must be some other yoke.

Not feeling too sharp myself.

Comment

I see Sickpuppy fell out of the right side of bed this morning

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

if you’re going to make do it - do it properly or not at all- you don’t even need to check against photo Id - just a bank card or something
                                                                                                  You only need one person B to get hold of one screenshot and it can be shared with all his/her/Zir anti vac pals.
                                                                                                  most places don’t even scan just look at the screen you could get a group in o most places all using a screenshot of the 1 covid cert
                                                                                                  prob not super widespread but no doubt is happening
                                                                                                  Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

The current cold going around is brutal.

Comment

The syringe spiking panic is a bit mad- is there a single confirmed case? you’d hope so given Simon Harris has weighed in but you wouldn’t know

Comment

The biggest load of anti-vaxxers in the country are aged 12-17 and therefore not allowed into bars. Only about 60% vaccination rate for that age group vs about 95% or so for those older.

I think we always try to solve problems based on who we don't like and assigning them as the problems. In this case nutjob conspiracy theorists.

But the real problem is little johnny who doesn't want to interrupt his rugby practice by having slight chills for the day after getting vaccinated. He's the fucker in this situation. And the other problem is his parents saying - why would poor little johnny have to get vaccinated, covid won't hurt him, as if they don't live in a society where we need some collective actions. Thats why little johnny grows up to be big bastard johnny who doesn't give a fuck about society and probably, accordingly, takes a job in finance.

Its that prick little johnny, not that fat oaf dolores, who is the issue, no matter what we wish was the case. And the parents. Its people a bit like us. Tell kids in secondary school - its be vaccinated or get weekly PCR tests and no school without them, and we win the war.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 08-11-21, 14:50.

Comment

The biggest load of anti-vaxxers in the country are aged 12-17 and therefore not allowed into bars. Only about 60% vaccination rate for that age group vs about 95% or so for those older.

I think we always try to solve problems based on who we don't like and assigning them the problems. In this case nutjob conspiracy theorists. But the problem is little johnny who doesn't want to interrupt his rugby practice by having slight chills for the day after getting vaccinated. He's the fucker in this situation. And his parents saying - why would poor little johnny have to get vaccinated, covid won't hurt him, as if they don't live in a society where we need some collective actions. Its that prick little johnny, not that fat oaf dolores, who is the issue, no matter what we wish was the case. Tell kids in secondary school - its be vaccinated or get weekly PCR tests and no school without them, and we win the war.
                                                                                                          You can't put the responsibility on kids. It's the parents who need to own it.

Not that I disagree with the 'get vaxxed FFS!' sentiment.

Comment

You can't put the responsibility on kids. It's the parents who need to own it.

Not that I disagree with the 'get vaxxed FFS!' sentiment.
                                                                                                            I think so. I edited it again.

Comment

Tell kids in secondary school - its be vaccinated or get weekly PCR tests and no school without them
                                                                                                              ha. I see a flaw in your logic mon ami
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I think so. I edited it again.
                                                                                                                I'll take 'takes a job in finance' to mean 'grows up to be a fine upstanding citizen'

Comment

Ah here covid chat, I'll be back in a couple of days.
                                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

The syringe spiking panic is a bit mad- is there a single confirmed case? you’d hope so given Simon Harris has weighed in but you wouldn’t know
                                                                                                                    What is this ? Are people force vaccinating others via injection spiking?

Comment

The current cold going around is brutal.
                                                                                                                      wifey and i both have it since last week. just can't get rid of the cough. real pain in the throat

Comment

It doesn't seem to make sense, the whole syringe thing. There's so many obvious flaws compared to just roofying someone with standard powder in a drink. Pop powder in a drink and all evidence that you are involved disappears providing you aren't spotted, but how the fcuk do you explain having a syringe on you if accused, plus most people tend to cry like babies when injected - and this is not just a minor pin prick, you are trying to inject a liquid into someone - it takes a moment or two.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

wifey and i both have it since last week. just can't get rid of the cough. real pain in the throat
                                                                                                                          I know its normally frowned upon as a waste of time, but might need to get antibiotics if you feel it progressing. Or at least, that's what my son was eventually given by our doctor who doesn't seem the type to be misinformed about when to use and when to not use antibiotics.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X