This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    First time in two years drinking. I don't know if that's a good idea, but I suspect it is. There's a shocking lack of strippers in this pub though.

Odds on HH waking up in his old gaff in Rennes with one half of the couple that are now renting the house either side of him in the bed?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I got a few bottles of this last week. It's 2017 which I presume is the one they just released? What would you say is the optimum time to age them for?

I'm thinking I will probably buy a couple every year so eventually I'll have a stock of nicely aged ones to crack out on special occasions every year
      There is no set rule but my current plan is to drink my 2013 bottles in 2025 and then drinking each subsequent vintage I have the following year - I may crack earlier or Mrs Lao Lao may say, "Fuck this shit, they've been there long enough" and start getting stuck into them

The key is the storage of the wine - Don't have it anywhere with big changes in temperature, cold or hot (perfect temp is 13 - 14 degrees C but that's only achievable with a fridge/temp controlled room etc) and don't have it exposed to a lot of light.

I have my bottles in a cupboard under the stairs which is nice and dark and the temperature doesn't get effected too much as it's away from heat sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Probably a masssssive markup in SA anyway and they earn half or less than what we do. Likely them getting a shit deal rather than us getting a good one.
        Will be in SA next month.... Should pick up a few bottles or not worth my while.... Only drink white so probably of no value?
        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Brought batteries somewhere for the first time in my life yesterday- Powercity, as I also brought 4 laptops, a desktop, a tablet, 2 juicers, an old Virgin Tv box, and sundry other stuff.

I was taking the hard drives out of the laptops and when I went at the tablet (some cheap Chinese thing) I was slashing with a screwdriver at some internal stuff wrapped in tape and silver stuff. When I punctured it I got a very strong smell of something. The kind of thing you have no idea what it is but know intuitively to stop doing what you're doing. Then I thought maybe it was just the smell of glue and had at it again. Very, very strong smell.

I stopped and just put the casing back together. What do you reckon it was that I was smelling?
          You probably pierced the battery or thermal paste
          I wouldn't use it if you nicked the battery
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm going to make it a mission to find some Fusion V before Christmas, which I think is even better and about the same price.
            I did some research on De Toren a few years back after you mentioned it. I first went straight to source and contacted the vineyard but they generally only ship within South Africa. They did offer to ship to Ireland but all the local process here was on me, they have no presence here and it is very messy this end. I've brought wine in myself from Austria before and nearly had it seized, had to go through a whole rigmarole of writing (an actual letter that had to be sent by post) to customs explaining what I was doing, paying VAT & Duty by bank draft, personally lodging that with them and then collecting it from their compound. I think technically, if you don't have a wet bond, all duties and taxes should be paid up front before arrival which can be difficult to co-ordinate, partly as customs are still in the 18th century technology wise.

Cost is usually R300 a bottle when you buy a case of 12 direct from the vineyard plus transport, Duty & VAT which is great value.

I then contacted their closest distributor who are based in the UK but at the time, they weren't supplying it to an Irish wine shops.

I must e-mail the distributor again, as I think that was around 5 years ago that I checked with them so things might have changed.

One other option would be to ask a wine shop that you know well if they can bring it in. Corkscrew have brought in wine for me before that they don't stock as they stock other wines from the same UK distributor so it was just a matter of adding on an extra case or to their order.

The economics of South African wine continue to evade me.
            Meerlust Rubicon 2017 is R460 retail in South Africa itself. So ~€26.
            But I can buy the same wine, presumably after taxes, duties in Ireland for €34. So about a 30% increase for the privilege of shipping it form one end of the world to the other, the government cut plus the retailers margin etc.

By comparison, if I buy a French wine in France vs Ireland, the increase is more like 200%.

I think for once, we're the ones not getting screwed on the SA wine as transport, Duty and VAT are at least €8 per bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Will be in SA next month.... Should pick up a few bottles or not worth my while.... Only drink white so probably of no value?

Potential for a strong resale market with some IPB members

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

I did some research on De Toren a few years back after you mentioned it. I first went straight to source and contacted the vineyard but they generally only ship within South Africa. They did offer to ship to Ireland but all the local process here was on me, they have no presence here and it is very messy this end. I've brought wine in myself from Austria before and nearly had it seized, had to go through a whole rigmarole of writing (an actual letter that had to be sent by post) to customs explaining what I was doing, paying VAT & Duty by bank draft, personally lodging that with them and then collecting it from their compound. I think technically, if you don't have a wet bond, all duties and taxes should be paid up front before arrival which can be difficult to co-ordinate, partly as customs are still in the 18th century technology wise.

Cost is usually R300 a bottle when you buy a case of 12 direct from the vineyard plus transport, Duty & VAT which is great value.

I then contacted their closest distributor who are based in the UK but at the time, they weren't supplying it to an Irish wine shops.

I must e-mail the distributor again, as I think that was around 5 years ago that I checked with them so things might have changed.

One other option would be to ask a wine shop that you know well if they can bring it in. Corkscrew have brought in wine for me before that they don't stock as they stock other wines from the same UK distributor so it was just a matter of adding on an extra case or to their order.
                I did the same back in 2013-ish; bought a couple of cases from a UK distributor (who no longer seem to be in business). The wine was bonded here, wouldn't mind an, ahem, unathorised tour of their facilities (corkscrew in hand) some time...
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'm going to make it a mission to find some Fusion V before Christmas, which I think is even better and about the same price.
                  Just looking at their website, Wine Treasury in the UK, 2017 Fusion V is £43.95 Sterling per bottle. Orders of more than £100 are free to UK mainland and for deliveries to NI, Channel Islands and abroad, you need to inquire on a case by case basis. Price seems a bit punchy.

Also had a look at their Belgian and Germany distributors and their websites are a cluster fuck but the Dutch distributor has it priced at €38.59 a bottle but can't seem to find any info around delivery.

Comment

Just looking at their website, Wine Treasury in the UK, 2017 Fusion V is £43.95 Sterling per bottle. Orders of more than £100 are free to UK mainland and for deliveries to NI, Channel Islands and abroad, you need to inquire on a case by case basis. Price seems a bit punchy.

Also had a look at their Belgian and Germany distributors and their websites are a cluster fuck but the Dutch distributor has it priced at €38.59 a bottle but can't seem to find any info around delivery.
                    I'm glad to see I have successfully outsourced this project.

Comment

I'm glad to see I have successfully outsourced this project.

Disclaimer : Outsourcing doesn't always deliver the required or expected results...

Comment

Disclaimer : Outsourcing doesn't always deliver the required or expected results...
                        Acceptance Criteria: 6 bottles on my doorstep by next Saturday pls

Comment

Odds on HH waking up in his old gaff in Rennes with one half of the couple that are now renting the house either side of him in the bed?
                          I wouldn't joke about. Remember being at an AA meeting 30 years ago, and one of the chaps stories was of going back on the booze after a long break, having a six month blackout/bender, and waking up playing a gig in Amsterdam.
                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

In the early house yet?
                            Watching You on Netflix and drinking wine. I feel this is my best life.
                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

You'd want to be drunk to watch that. A few episodes in and it's pure shite.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

You'd want to be drunk to watch that. A few episodes in and it's pure shite.

I watched the first episode last night - it already seems very far fetched, even for a TV show - Not sure I'll last for the full season which isn't a great sign after one episode.

Comment

I wouldn't joke about. Remember being at an AA meeting 30 years ago, and one of the chaps stories was of going back on the booze after a long break, having a six month blackout/bender, and waking up playing a gig in Amsterdam.
                                  But if he hadn't blacked out, it would have been one hell of a story

Comment

I watched the first episode last night - it already seems very far fetched, even for a TV show - Not sure I'll last for the full season which isn't a great sign after one episode.
                                    It's also kinda offensive to stalkers and murderers

Comment

But if he hadn't blacked out, it would have been one hell of a story
                                      Oh, I was mostly jealous!

Comment

It's funny the way one still reads Colin Powell as Coal-in. His funeral is on now.

Comment

Rose Plays Julie is at the very top end of hope produced stuff. Pity it falls apart at the end. The lead up is well worth it though.
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Ended up buying several cases of wine on kwm after all the talk today. Christmas sorted in any case.

Comment

Half a mil for a 2 bedroom house in an estate. Crikey.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Frankie Boyle is coming to the Gate next February. Never been mad on Beckett, but I definitely want to see this there https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/f...play-7qvmbwg7z https://www.gatetheatre.ie/whats-on/

Comment

Ended up buying several cases of wine on kwm after all the talk today. Christmas sorted in any case.

What took your fancy?

Comment

I need to start drinking Georgian, Greek or Uruguayan wine to be down with the Kool Kidz

Comment

Quite a profitable strategy has emerged for fundalk punting needs a bit of patience.

All you need is a bit of efficient and accurate use of live pause when there is a close finish approaching - Don't wait and rewind or you'll miss the value Stop it as close to the line as you can, if you don't form an opinion immediately, use a bit of card on the screen to draw the line.
                                                      Ignore the price in market. Sometimes even when its a clear result the market will be 50:50 until RTV show their freeze frame some 30 seconds later.

Last winner there tonight traded at more than double its SP of 6/1 and was available for ages for lots of money @ 3 and 4/1 after it had won the race. It's the third time I've seen the market get it way wrong in as many meetings.
                                                      Something very satisfying about punting a winner that has already gone by.
                                                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I need to start drinking Georgian, Greek or Uruguayan wine to be down with the Kool Kidz
                                                        Is it a coin toss if you will have to pay excise duty and vat ?
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Good selection for Christmas.

I mainly drink Bordeaux red and NZ/Loire white. Not the worst rut to be in but probably should expand my selections more. Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are the areas I'm trying to delve more into.

Comment

Good selection for Christmas.

I mainly drink Bordeaux red and NZ/Loire white. Not the worst rut to be in but probably should expand my selections more. Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are the areas I'm trying to delve more into.
                                                            I'd drink a fair bit of Eye-talian. Very little NZ\AU.

German, Czech and Slovenian wine is worth investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                              Half a mil for a 2 bedroom house in an estate. Crikey.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...lin-18/4508061
                                                              If that 2 bed was in Ballsbridge or Dalkey the price would be totally fine, is the location that's the issue there. I've seen it suggested that with that price, the developer actually doesn't want to sell to the public, but wants to offload to the eejits in DLR county council. I've a 3 bed that's very slightly bigger, also in an estate outside the M50 and am selling for a touch off 1/2 million, that's the market right now!

Comment

Its phenomenal the amount of things that can go wrong in 36 hours. Was everything just hanging on a string.

Comment

Its phenomenal the amount of things that can go wrong in 36 hours. Was everything just hanging on a string.
                                                                  Are you still in Ireland?

Comment

Hope things are alright with you dude.
                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

ah no, i'm loving everything. Was fit to explode with worry, and drinking has just shown it was all a mirage. Need to stop it, id heard that two years off beer returned you sensible, but apparently not in my case. heart beer though

Comment

Are you still in Ireland?
                                                                        Lets book a flight

Comment

Seems like just a terrible question to ask but anyhow: is storing wine standing rather than on it's side a terrible thing?

Maybe it doesn't matter with an average wine and does with a better one?

Am not a wine person but might be in the future (and therefore might purchase a few of the aforementioned). Don't really want future me looking back at me like a

Comment

Lets book a flight
                                                                            You're such a tease

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                                              Seems like just a terrible question to ask but anyhow: is storing wine standing rather than on it's side a terrible thing?

Maybe it doesn't matter with an average wine and does with a better one?

Am not a wine person but might be in the future (and therefore might purchase a few of the aforementioned). Don't really want future me looking back at me like a
                                                                              Corks are essentially wooden sponges. If a bottle is stored upright long term, the cork can dry out and let small amounts of air into the bottle. Storing a bottle on its side stops that happening as the cork stays wet.
                                                                              Irrelevant for any wine you buy to drink soon.

Also irrelevant for screw cap wine.

Comment

Any fancies in the racing today?

Comment

In a fit of empathy with HH, I just demolished the last 2 built-in wardrobes that we inherited with this house. Fuck me, they built things to last back in them there days.

Now for the joy of the visit to the dump.

Comment

Have been chasing down the energy guy who did the survey of our house 2 months ago. Had a chat yesterday. The gist of it being that he hadn't bothered to send us the survey results as 'you've no chance of getting a builder'. He said all his usual builders aren't even answering the phone and also that a lot of the lower-skilled building workforce haven't returned to work yet (either returned to their native lands or else sitting on the PUP to the bitter end).

Pretty discouraging from both our own POV but also in the wider context. Just gotta sit and wait it out I guess and let Lao Lao sort out the global supply chains and SF will resolve the building industry here.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                      Was thinking Elbow's favourite, Jeff Kidder, looked an attractive price in the 12.50 at Naas against two opponents who may not be fully tuned up. 9/2.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                                                                        Nice card at Naas to get the jumps season into third gear and lots to enjoy at Del Mar tonight. Will be funking hard for Ronan Whelan and A Case of you in the sprint but probably not a bet.

No huge fancies, mostly just sit back and enjoy. Its a pity there aren't another couple of runners in the novice hurdle, I don't think its as deep as it appears on the surface and would guess that Joseph's Vultan might turn out to be overpriced in it, want to be taking on the of of the market maybe a speculative RFC with Autumn evening . Same problem with Belfast Banter in Wincanton, he travels well, is fit to run and could be competitive at this level today, would like the 10/1 if there were 3 places.

Comment

Have been chasing down the energy guy who did the survey of our house 2 months ago. Had a chat yesterday. The gist of it being that he hadn't bothered to send us the survey results as 'you've no chance of getting a builder'. He said all his usual builders aren't even answering the phone and also that a lot of the lower-skilled building workforce haven't returned to work yet (either returned to their native lands or else sitting on the PUP to the bitter end).

Pretty discouraging from both our own POV but also in the wider context. Just gotta sit and wait it out I guess and let Lao Lao sort out the global supply chains and SF will resolve the building industry here.
                                                                                          Our lad is finished up with us at Christmas and i know he has 4 or 5 others on the go but might be able to squeeze you in. Just tell him i wont pay him if he doesnt

Comment

Naas is on TG4 today too

Comment

Try and book one though. At least get on some good builders list. They'll always have a waiting list.

Comment

There's a builder called Séamus Harrington Const Ltd that I'd recommend. I've been in a lot of top end architect designed homes and he's one of the best ones I've seen.

No website which is weird. His own house that he built featured on Home of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  Joseph's Vultan might turn out to be overpriced in it, want to be taking on the of of the market maybe a speculative RFC with Autumn evening .
                                                                                                  Good decision by whoever it was to withdraw him would have been sick if he came under orders was 10/1 hed ever have gone with them.

Comment

H'mon the blossoms! Give us a good game. Show us what unstructured play is all about! None of that set piece nonsense!

Comment

Wtf is with that hideous kit? Green no longer good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                        H'mon the blossoms! Give us a good game. Show us what unstructured play is all about! None of that set piece nonsense!
                                                                                                        Solid BBV'ing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Try and book one though. At least get on some good builders list. They'll always have a waiting list.
                                                                                                          Might as well wait for the detail of the new retrofit scheme at this stage.

Comment

Solid BBV'ing.
                                                                                                            Don't think it was ever in doubt. Just hoping for an entertaining game tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                              Wtf is with that hideous kit? Green no longer good enough?
                                                                                                              Not sure if it's that Leinster are very good here or Japan just haven't turned up. Onto next week anyway as this game is done.

Agree on the kit. I'm colour blind - it looks like a light shade of black or very dark gray?

Comment

Well settled in for the 12 hours of racing ahead

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

If that 2 bed was in Ballsbridge or Dalkey the price would be totally fine, is the location that's the issue there. I've seen it suggested that with that price, the developer actually doesn't want to sell to the public, but wants to offload to the eejits in DLR county council. I've a 3 bed that's very slightly bigger, also in an estate outside the M50 and am selling for a touch off 1/2 million, that's the market right now!
                                                                                                                  Mate of mine here in Ashbourne sold his run of the mill bog standard 3 bed house in an estate for 510k. Bought a detached house in a more settled area of Ashbourne, 5 bedrooms, a massive back garden, large driveway, huge patio area out the back too. And unlimited potential for whatever he wants to do for 600k.

In Ashbourne! Mental prices but cant help thinking hes done well in the whole thing.

Comment

Not sure if it's that Leinster are very good here or Japan just haven't turned up. Onto next week anyway as this game is done.

Agree on the kit. I'm colour blind - it looks like a light shade of black or very dark gray?
                                                                                                                    Ugly Purple and black.

Comment

I thought for a minute there, watching without sound that Sexton had retired.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                        Well settled in for the 12 hours of racing ahead

Mice bit of chavball on the lower left corner
                                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X