X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

brother is a plumber. PM me if you want
    Thanks. I spoke to the electrician there who is going to rewire the 70-year-old wires in the house and he said his plumber mate might do a nixer, so I might take that as a package deal, and not bother new people. Its a great profession to be in at the moment, and probably forever.
    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

It's kinda where Clontarf, Marino and Fairview join up. EAs will always say Clontarf obv.
      Well, it is on the wrong side of the howth road to be clontarf. The connecting street is Marino Avenue which settles the question tbf.
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

This is not a request HH but have you ever considered fecking back off to France ? What were your pro n cons .?

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
          This is not a request HH but have you ever considered fecking back off to France ? What were your pro n cons .?
          Shame for post 6000 to be so negative

Comment

Imagine we have 2 volunteers: Alice and Bob.

We give them each a fair coin.

We ask Alice to keep tossing her coin until she sees a Heads immediately followed by a Tails (ie, the pattern HT).

We ask Bob to keep tossing his coin until he sees two consecutive Heads (ie, the pattern HH).

The question is: on average, who will take more tosses to get to their "target pattern" -- Alice or Bob?

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
              Tickets

I’ve two spare tickets for the Ireland v Japan rugby match at the weekend, if anyone wants them at FV?

also seeking 2 tickets for Ireland Portugal football, if anyone knows?
              Bump

Comment

Shame for post 6000 to be so negative
                Was a query . I thought I made that clear

Comment

We ask Alice to keep tossing her coin until she sees a Heads immediately followed by a Tails (ie, the pattern HT).

We ask Bob to keep tossing his coin until he sees two consecutive Heads (ie, the pattern HH).

The question is: on average, who will take more tosses to get to their "target pattern" -- Alice or Bob?
                  Without giving any probability stats . I would have thought Alice has the better starting point .

Comment

Bob should be marginally quicker I reckon, if he is a competent spinner - as he just has to repeat the previous action once he gets his first H.
                    Alice has a task which veers towards random throwing and will get the HT combination at expected intervals.
                    They'd probably have to run it a few times for Bobs edge to appear, as it's such a tiny edge.

Comment

Alice wants it more.

Comment

Good evening folks. Hope all is well and y'all been keeping good?

Arrived home on Monday morning after my stint over at the WSOP certainly down on numbers in some of the events but that was to be expected but there was a good buzz/vibe around the place which was nice to be part of once again.

In other news I'm getting married next week
                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

The biggest gamble of them all....glgl TD

Comment

SPOILER
                            Alice never has to go back to the start once she hit's a H so she is faster.

Comment

SPOILER
                              Alice passes the first test and never has to retest it so she’s faster. Poor old Bob needs to pass two tests in a row all the time. No idea the number of tosses would have to write it down.
                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Bob Bob, who the fk is Bob

Comment

Hi guys, it's been a very long time since I last posted on this forum.

I'm looking to start up a bi-monthly game for the Deaf community in Cabra (DVI). We have only 3 tables & I was wondering if there was anyone locally that I could hire additional tables from? Just to be clear, I'm not looking for someone to come in and run the show on the poker nights - that will be me. :-)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                    Alice wants it more.
                                    Bob is due
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I have a house if you are interested. Just needs a bit of improvement.
                                      How are Mrs HH's levels of equanamity at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Have trouble with those with both Huawei phones in the house.
                                        I got a coupke of huawei wifi 6 routers (one downstairs and one on the 1st floor) and works a treat!

Comment

Nice word of the week play there, had to Google.
                                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                            In other news I'm getting married next week
                                            In the words of Saint Francis*:

No man knows what true happiness is until he gets married. And by then it's too late.
                                            SPOILER
                                            Saint Francis Sinatra

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

I got a coupke of huawei wifi 6 routers (one downstairs and one on the 1st floor) and works a treat!
                                              I messed around with the TPLink connectors there and I got them somewhat working. Can connect on my phone. I remembered though that the main issue was connecting to a laptop. Used primarily in the kitchen where WiFi is terrible.

It won't connect to it for some reason.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

In the words of Saint Francis*:

SPOILER
                                                Saint Francis Sinatra
                                                The happiest day of the rest of your life.

Congrats Danny

Comment

Not the bin companys fault so cant accuse them of gouging the elderly but set the aul lad up on the App there as tomorrow is bin day and he wasnt sure if he had credit.

Got him logged in to see a balance of over 3 grand lol. Seems he thought it was about 100 a month so had been sticking in 150 most months for last few years and probably getting it collected evvery 6 weeks at a tenner a pop. Must see if he can withdraw

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                    Not the bin companys fault
                                                    They really should contact the customer though. Shouldn't they? It's not like anyone is saving up for a huge load of future rubbish.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

They really should contact the customer though. Shouldn't they? It's not like anyone is saving up for a huge load of future rubbish.
                                                      Meh, I doubt they have a mechanism in place for that?

That said if they let him take loots back i could have stumbled on a decent money laundering racket as he was depositing in cash at the Post Office

Comment

She seems to have a mindset equivalent to when her country invaded Georgia.

Comment

I messed around with the TPLink connectors there and I got them somewhat working. Can connect on my phone. I remembered though that the main issue was connecting to a laptop. Used primarily in the kitchen where WiFi is terrible.

Fixed it. As usual just me being a little dumb.

Was entering the wrong password. Auto connected on my phone.

I ordered a new TV remote from the Czech Republic recently. Took almost a month. Was using some rudimentary phone app to control it while waiting.

When it finally arrived I realised that the old one just needed new batteries.

I'm blaming my wife for putting dead batteries into the battery box.

Coulda been me though. Prob was.

Comment

the battery box.

Comment

She seems to have a mindset equivalent to when her country invaded Georgia.
                                                              Oh dear.

Don't drink any cups of tea.

Comment

Worked for a utility company before where quite a few customers maintained large credit balances and used ring a few times a year to get refunds. Basically treating it like a bank

Comment

Have a load of IKEA storage tubs in a utility room. One of them is for batteries and bulbs.

Comment

Have a load of IKEA storage tubs in a utility room. One of them is for batteries and bulbs.
                                                                    I have small containers for used batteries and bulbs, to be brought for recycling occasionally. No way they are ever getting used again.

Comment

Brought batteries somewhere for the first time in my life yesterday- Powercity, as I also brought 4 laptops, a desktop, a tablet, 2 juicers, an old Virgin Tv box, and sundry other stuff.

I was taking the hard drives out of the laptops and when I went at the tablet (some cheap Chinese thing) I was slashing with a screwdriver at some internal stuff wrapped in tape and silver stuff. When I punctured it I got a very strong smell of something. The kind of thing you have no idea what it is but know intuitively to stop doing what you're doing. Then I thought maybe it was just the smell of glue and had at it again. Very, very strong smell.

I stopped and just put the casing back together. What do you reckon it was that I was smelling?

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post

Worked for a utility company before where quite a few customers maintained large credit balances and used ring a few times a year to get refunds. Basically treating it like a bank
                                                                        I used to get 3% on credit balance with OVO energy in UK - https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/interest-rewards. Was more than the bank at one stage.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

What do you reckon it was that I was smelling?
                                                                          The guilt of having bought stuff from our Chinese slaves

Comment

I have small containers for used batteries and bulbs, to be brought for recycling occasionally. No way they are ever getting used again.
                                                                            Oh I have small cardboard boxes, a bit like Trócaire boxes for used batteries. This box is for new ones. Have a bunch of AA and AAA in it mainly. House is full of crap that needs them, candles, remotes, toys etc

Comment

Oh I have small cardboard boxes, a bit like Trócaire boxes for used batteries. This box is for new ones. Have a bunch of AA and AAA in it mainly. House is full of crap that needs them, candles, remotes, toys etc
                                                                              Call me pedantic, but there is no reason to have a box for 'new' batteries. Surely you only need to replace them in a device when they are used, and you can leave the proper new ones in their packaging until they are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

I used to get 3% on credit balance with OVO energy in UK - https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/interest-rewards. Was more than the bank at one stage.
                                                                                Not a bad idea on the face of it. The level of bad debt these companies acquire is frightening.

Comment

At the risk of provoking PSV's ire I still have amazon prime and while I use it a lot less than I used to I have discovered lately that there are a lot of graphic novels/comics that are free to read on kindle or device of choice using the nifty comixology app.

Also just finish Maus which was my first foray into the genre, and reading Persepolis at the moment. I bought both on a whim in Waterstones in Cork after just googling 'best graphic novels', tbh was expecting them to be something some way superhero-y but obviously neither are anything of the sort and both excellent. It's a very interesting category of book and I'm looking forward to delving in further.

The Boys Vol. 1: The Name of the Game is one DP suggested earlier that's free to read with Prime for instance. Dark Knight Returns & Preacher also.

Comment

First time in two years drinking. I don't know if that's a good idea, but I suspect it is. There's a shocking lack of strippers in this pub though.

Comment

Persepolis is lovely. But theres a class world of pure comics out there. It really is the ultimate enjoyment. The likes of The Sandman.

Comment

Persepolis is lovely. But theres a class world of pure comics out there. It really is the ultimate enjoyment. The likes of The Sandman.
                                                                                        Yeah I have a feeling this might be where I need to go to scratch the itch that most sci-fi/fantasy stuff I've tried reading in the last few years has failed me with

Comment

It's an expensive habit if you're actually paying for all of these books though. Maus was over 20 quid I think and I finished it in about two hours.

Comment

Call me pedantic, but there is no reason to have a box for 'new' batteries. Surely you only need to replace them in a device when they are used, and you can leave the proper new ones in their packaging until they are needed.
                                                                                            Haha, you're mad. It's a box with packs of batteries in it, open packs because they come in 10s and 12s. There's always a few loose ones that have popped out.

I must have thrown old ones into the box at some stage.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                              It's an expensive habit if you're actually paying for all of these books though. Maus was over 20 quid I think and I finished it in about two hours.
                                                                                              Yep it was a quick read alright. Although, I plan to read it again soon, I reckon there's plenty to get again from it.

Comment

Haha, you're mad. It's a box with packs of batteries in it, open packs because they come in 10s and 12s. There's always a few loose ones that have popped out.

I must have thrown old ones into the box at some stage.
                                                                                                Sure what else are you going to do with your large jar of beetroot once you've eaten all the beetroot other than store batteries in it?

Comment

No aul rechargeable batteries? I use them all the time.

Comment

First time in two years drinking. I don't know if that's a good idea, but I suspect it is. There's a shocking lack of strippers in this pub though.
                                                                                                    In the early house yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                      No aul rechargeable batteries? I use them all the time.
                                                                                                      I've switched to them for AA & AAA but not other sizes. You need somewhere to store rechargeable ones even more than the single use anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                        Link to O'Briens below but several places stock it

Bursting with dark bramble fruit, the renowned Meerlust Rubicon is widely recognised as a superb representation of top drawer South African wine.

I got a few bottles of this last week. It's 2017 which I presume is the one they just released? What would you say is the optimum time to age them for?

I'm thinking I will probably buy a couple every year so eventually I'll have a stock of nicely aged ones to crack out on special occasions every year

Comment

How in the name if our Good Lord do you know what a Trocaire Box us?

Comment

How in the name if our Good Lord do you know what a Trocaire Box is?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

I got a few bottles of this last week. It's 2017 which I presume is the one they just released? What would you say is the optimum time to age them for?

I'm thinking I will probably buy a couple every year so eventually I'll have a stock of nicely aged ones to crack out on special occasions every year
                                                                                                              I'm going to make it a mission to find some Fusion V before Christmas, which I think is even better and about the same price.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

In the early house yet?
                                                                                                                (visions of HH with an empty whiskey bottle by his side charging at the stripped walls of his new gaff and telling them he's a big deal on the internet)

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

How in the name if our Good Lord do you know what a Trocaire Box is?
                                                                                                                  Shit forced on me as a kid innit

Comment

I attribute any outrageous bad luck I've got in Poker / gambling to my childhood dipping into the lenten boxes for the black babies to get a sneaky bag of tayto or curlywurly.
                                                                                                                    the Guilty did not stop me. A career in crime was not beyond me as these boxes were protected in our house by 24 eyeballs . The post mortem also highlighted my deflecting skills also.

Comment

The economics of South African wine continue to evade me.
                                                                                                                      Meerlust Rubicon 2017 is R460 retail in South Africa itself. So ~€26.
                                                                                                                      But I can buy the same wine, presumably after taxes, duties in Ireland for €34. So about a 30% increase for the privilege of shipping it form one end of the world to the other, the government cut plus the retailers margin etc.

By comparison, if I buy a French wine in France vs Ireland, the increase is more like 200%.

Comment

i'd still recommend getting a wifi 6 router. really changed everything in the house. so much better than your standard virgin/bt/sky ones. i previously had a mesh system with 3 pods (and the virgin router), but now just 2 wifi 6 routers covers the whole house even better.

Comment

The economics of South African wine continue to evade me.
                                                                                                                          Meerlust Rubicon 2017 is R460 retail in South Africa itself. So ~€26.
                                                                                                                          But I can buy the same wine, presumably after taxes, duties in Ireland for €34. So about a 30% increase for the privilege of shipping it form one end of the world to the other, the government cut plus the retailers margin etc.

By comparison, if I buy a French wine in France vs Ireland, the increase is more like 200%.
                                                                                                                          Probably a masssssive markup in SA anyway and they earn half or less than what we do. Likely them getting a shit deal rather than us getting a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X