This is terrible news

Really is. Hopefully someone picks it up as a going concern.

Why, what was their USP?

Where are you off to in Africa Denny?
          Tanzania. Had been planning to go there last year.

Why, what was their USP?
            "Occasional meeting point for IPB members to swap exotic meat and cheese products"

sentimental value

Why, what was their USP?
              Acres of books on two floors one of which was mostly second hand and remaindered stock. Great shop.

Bought some ethereum today. Shorted the bund the other day.

So I guess despite everything I'm short fiat long crypto.
                The 60 / 40 stock bond portfolio is dead. It's all about being short cash and bonds and leveraged long stock imo

Tanzania. Had been playing to go there last year.
                  Nice, was in Dar a couple of times, wild place. Took the ferry and a tuk tuk down to Kipepo beach for some reef snorkelling out at Simba Island nice spot and an easy trip from the city. Would love to get up country and to spend a couple of days in Zanzibar sometime.

A former colleague had told me I had to go out to Coco Beach at night... Don't unless you are looking to have to fight off all the young and aul wans who are determined you aren't going home without them

Tanzania. Had been planning to go there last year.
                    That's class, there's a few places I will cross off but I plan a trip to Africa sometime relatively soon. What made you pick Tanzania?

Why, what was their USP?
                      "Very sad, how could this happen?", exclaimed the crowd, not a one having set foot in there in ten years.

But actually it seems grand to go:

I used to work here. The place was run into the ground by management. You ask why they had no online store? The owner refused to invest in one. He wouldn’t shell out to implement a proper online store then complained when we couldn’t get one off the ground with zero resources.

The staff were looked on like mindless cattle, paid as little as possible, treated like dirt, screamed at for the smallest infractions. At least one staff member would be brought to tears by management every Christmas. It was shockingly abusive at times, with a totally authoritarian “do as we say you pleb” attitude from upstairs.

It’s a shame that it’s closing but it comes as absolutely no surprise. The owner is the worst kind of penny-pinching small business capitalist you can imagine who ran his business with zero compassion or imagination. He totally roadblocked any suggestions or attempts to move the store with the times.

That combined with the fact that the owner is at retirement age and his kids have no interest in taking on the business, it’s no surprise that it’s going.

It is sad to see the place go, I have a lot of fond memories from there, but the owner has nobody to blame but himself, his penny-pinching and his poor forward-planning.

Lovely bookshop, toxic workplace.

"Very sad, how could this happen?", exclaimed the crowd, not a one having set foot in there in ten years.
                        Last time I was in it they were on Middle Abbey Street

But actually it seems grand to go:
                          There is a book in there somewhere. No loss .

Is it difficult/cost prohibitive to create a dynamic user friendly online bookstore?

I use Kenny's, it's awful to navigate but is pobably the most user friendly of all I've tried.

Also, I wish I had the skillz to create a nightclub ticket app.

Seems like there's a bunch of cash to be mopped up with one right now.

Sign up all the clubs, take a couple of euro a head.

Is it difficult/cost prohibitive to create a dynamic user friendly online bookstore?

I use Kenny's, it's awful to navigate but is pobably the most user friendly of all I've tried.
                                I get the nostalgia and fuzzy undefinable feelings that one has visiting a book store.
                                The silence, the smells, the sense of adventure and the little sense of self righteousness.

But those things are hard to define, and impossible to codify.
                                Add to that that people these days don't really have time to wander into a bookstore for a few hours and soak it up, especially not in the quantities that make it profitable.

Hence:
                                Amazon.

Which, ironically, in its initial version was just Jeff Bezos running to local book stores, buying books and shipping them to people.

I would imagine the market for an online bookstore stops pretty much at search and purchase.
                                Maybe Facebooks new Metaverse changes that.

On your nightclub tickets idea, you can guarantee someone is already on it, and that it being as interstitial a policy as it is, it will be massively useful, and a huge waste of time.

Last time I was in it they were on Middle Abbey Street
                                  Think they had both but Parnell St was the mother ship.

I rarely used the downstairs, something about browsing the secondhand section upstairs that was akin to discovering buried treasure.

I get the nostalgia and fuzzy undefinable feelings that one has visiting a book store.
                                      The silence, the smells, the sense of adventure and the little sense of self righteousness.

But those things are hard to define, and impossible to codify.
                                      Add to that that people these days don't really have time to wander into a bookstore for a few hours and soak it up, especially not in the quantities that make it profitable.

Hence:
                                      Amazon.

Which, ironically, in its initial version was just Jeff Bezos running to local book stores, buying books and shipping them to people.

I would imagine the market for an online bookstore stops pretty much at search and purchase.
                                      Maybe Facebooks new Metaverse changes that.

On your nightclub tickets idea, you can guarantee someone is already on it, and that it being as interstitial a policy as it is, it will be massively useful, and a huge waste of time.
                                      Well all I want to do with an online bookstore is search and purchase, maybe check out reviews. I usually go there knowing what I want though.

It's tedious though. Every time I go to Kenny's for instance I need to remove an item from my basket that I clicked on 8 or 9 visits ago, and it's always a little bit of a ball ache to do. Search function is ok. Little things like linking the next book in a series seems like it must be rocket science.

On the nightclub thing, I reckon like a lot of Covid introductions this ticketing thing may be something that will stay. I think clubs may see benefits to it. Promo potential, exclusivity stuff, VIP rewards etc

Have two tickets for Once Before I Go for tomorrow (Friday) evening in the Gate. Need to ditch it due to new house stuff. Would anyone be interested in the tickets? (no cost, of course) https://www.gatetheatre.ie/production/once-before-i-go/
                                        Thank fuck this didn't strike any interest as I just remembered *now* about it. It seems people dying slowly on stage is not quite the Friday evening crowd pleaser.

Chapters and Reads were the two big Easons-bashers of the early 2000s. Reads trying to smash the Easons stationary monopoly until it was bought by... errrr... Easons, and Chapters trying to smash the book monopoly until Amazon came and did them all in.

That and Chinese food were the main reasons for crossing the liffey in town, so the Chinese sector need to up their game appropriately.

Thank fuck this didn't strike any interest as I just remembered *now* about it. It seems people dying slowly on stage is not quite the Friday evening crowd pleaser.
                                            CC expressed an interest, you must have missed.

I deleted the request, mostly as it wasn't replied to in a timely fashion. Mrs. x had expounded on her non interest in going to 'more boring queer crap from the 80's' weeks ago. So I would have been going on my own anyway

Chapters was mayhem this evening, I'd reckon there was an unprecedented 300 people in the store about 6pm and they had decided to stop anyone else coming in before 6.30 closing.
                                                Every till had about 20 people queueing.

Oldest trick in the book, the old annual 'closing down sale'.
                                                  Suckers.

Chapters was mayhem this evening, I'd reckon there was an unprecedented 300 people in the store about 6pm and they had decided to stop anyone else coming in before 6.30 closing.
                                                    Every till had about 20 people queueing.
                                                    Aren’t they closing in 2022? Guarantee a few photos were taken for Twitter
                                                    looks like a good location for a hotel

Bottle of wine and new war on drugs album for the night - holiday from the grimness
                                                      obly thing that could ruin this ban is finding out they are doing a concert in the metaverse

I deleted the request, mostly as it wasn't replied to in a timely fashion. Mrs. x had expounded on her non interest in going to 'more boring queer crap from the 80's' weeks ago. So I would have been going on my own anyway
                                                        Ah feck sorry, I should have checked back in.

Time to book your yearly flu shot everyone. There's nothing worse than an actual flu and the shot massively reduces either the chances of getting the flu, or the severity if it does happen. Got mine through work, but booked the kids into the local pharmacy for today and there seems like loads of availability. Boots have a nice online system too.

Got mine a few weeks ago. Don't think it's recommended for the general public here, is it?

You playing for both sides now CC?

You playing for both sides now CC?My wife calls that greedy. Enjoy

Got mine a few weeks ago. Don't think it's recommended for the general public here, is it?
                                                                  Just back with shot on board

You playing for both sides now CC?
                                                                    Most people are more shocked that I've started drinking white wine, after 20 years on red.

The Last Post being played for Ole. A bit cheeky of Spurs

I like that he's furiously channeling Old Purple Face by chewing gum like it's going out of style.

What are the chances of Newcastle being relegated, o football fans? Would obv be deeply funny.

Certainly a possibility.

But the likelihood is they will try and strengthen considerably in January so they should have enough to get themselves midtable-ish.

Id love to see their price to come back up if it happens

The Sheikhs might just go fuck it and buy Arsenal, Spurs or some other midtable outfit instead of wasting a year. They own half of London anyway.

2966. Pity its wasn't 2666. Bit of a Halloween horror all the same.

The Exorcist on tonight. Still has it moments despite its age. . I'm not one for the book-film comparison but the book scared the shite outa me .

Anyone know the Richard Branson link without googling it ?

You mother knits socks in hell

Russain Diamond to place @ 2s in the next at Cork looks an ok price for todays bet

Thefaithfulindian ew last race naas

19.50 Golden fish - EW Keep your money Mugs

No more than a fiver .

Tickets

I’ve two spare tickets for the Ireland v Japan rugby match at the weekend, if anyone wants them at FV?

also seeking 2 tickets for Ireland Portugal football, if anyone knows?

Like Fallujah out there, even with the rain.

So it turned out the British government issued a report that calculated exactly how many deaths were caused by running Cheltenham during the pandemic - and it turns out it killed 41 people.

Atlético’s most recent visit to Anfield for a Champions League tie in March 2020 turned out to be the last major football match in England before the sport was halted by the Covid crisis

So it turned out the British government issued a report that calculated exactly how many deaths were caused by running Cheltenham during the pandemic - and it turns out it killed 41 people.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-grim-memories
                                                                                                            You could probably write a similar report on a host of other events. The 'meaningful Christmas' for example surely caused hundreds of deaths and Trump's politicising of covid cost hundreds of thousands.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-grim-memories
                                                                                                              "Exactly" lol.

Why isn't our celebrity correspondent all over this?

Current house status - going to ring the apartment agents tomorrow and request to please, pretty please, be allowed to stay put for an extra three weeks.

Its the end of the first week (well, since Wednesday evening) and we've only now got the walls stripped of wallpaper in the living room.

I can't quite grasp all the tasks that are currently ongoing, but wowsers its fierce fun. Like, such glorious fun. We had the day to wander around places today as a saviour called Nicu is now helping out and we went into Woodies and felt the doors. Then we said to ourselves - those are some fine doors. Great door grooves. Then we popped over to EZ Living and sat on couches and went oh what a lovely bounce. Great bouncy couch. The tables next. What curves. Great curves to this table. We bought a hedge cutter - a name I found out after asking the guy in Woodies - what do you call a hedge cutter? A hedge cutter he said. Its charging now and tomorrow I get to go all Freddie Kruger on a hedge that is so overgrown that we can't open the back gate. Something we found out last night when we turned up with the maximum permitted car weight load of laminate flooring and couldn't back the freaking car in the back into the storage space. There's just so many things going on, layers within layers. Its beautiful. Although I did have a moment in B&Q earlier where I was looking at door handles (although oddly no doors in B&Q) and kinda thought - could I not have just bought a house more ready to be lived in?

We were out trick-or-treating tonight. Something I find incredibly odd - to be knocking on random people's doors, and I mainly just hid around the corner while my wife stood there waving at people. But noticed this also - https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/com...eater_tonight/ - you tell the kids fairly quickly to only knock on doors that are fully festooned with 'keep out', 'danger', skeletons peaking out the upstairs window, animated demon dog on the lawn.

Get someone out to check your boiler before it turns cold would be my advice HH.

Then you can start pumping out CO2 like nobody's business.

A Brave New World of returning to the office 4 days a week starts today.

Timing may not be ideal.