This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    In the fifth hour now of trying to get the house keys. We've finally worn down the estate agents from their plinth of never having seen the keys, wouldn't know what a key looks like, to now acknowledging, after solicitor intervention, that they do in fact have the keys, but in an unoccupied office and held by a currently untraceable estate agent. These new fangled virtual estate agents have a few logistical shortcomings.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

"Copenhagen. Annoyingly perfect."

Might not be the choice of the local tourism board as a slogan but would probably be a fair one. Great to be back in auld Dubbalin though.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        "Copenhagen. Annoyingly perfect."

Might not be the choice of the local tourism board as a slogan but would probably be a fair one. Great to be back in auld Dubbalin though.
        What did you make of the locals?

I found them to be quiet and a little reserved. Definitely very pleasant and polite to deal with. A sound bunch but not as outwardly sociable as ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

What did you make of the locals?

I found them to be quiet and a little reserved. Definitely very pleasant and polite to deal with. A sound bunch but not as outwardly sociable as ourselves.
          They seemed fairly outgoing to me, had a bit of craic with a fair few of them.

Culturally, they're Northern European Protestants so you're not really going to be expecting hugs, kisses and singing all around.

Comment

I rented a wallpaper stripper and can confirm they are less fun than regular strippers, but do have the shared quality of also making you sweat and regret your life decisions. Painfully stripped away a wall in the living room and lo and behold - what is this gem.

SPOILER
            only a fucking 10-grand value filled-in door to the kitchen! boomtastic.

vyEzfYal.jpg
            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

We should instigate checks on peoples phones at immigration to ensure we are not letting people into the country that have listened to the Springsteen-Obama podcasts- fucking hell

Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

I rented a wallpaper stripper and can confirm they are less fun than regular strippers, but do have the shared quality of also making you sweat and regret your life decisions. Painfully stripped away a wall in the living room and lo and behold - what is this gem.

SPOILER
                only a fucking 10-grand value filled-in door to the kitchen! boomtastic.

vyEzfYal.jpg
                eye was drawn to stripper and spoiler tag in post and thought vintage Hitch was back
                massive letdown
                Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Hitch, maybe you're done now but if you've still work to do with that stripper a little tip is to start at the bottom.

The steam rising loosens the paper above making the job a touch easier.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    Hitch, maybe you're done now but if you've still work to do with that stripper a little tip is to start at the bottom.

The steam rising loosens the paper above making the job a touch easier.
                    I'd have said the opposite, as the condensation will drip down and loosen what's below.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

It seems like we've got ourselves a good old fashioned best way to strip wallpaper battle. We salute all who are about to fight.

Comment

I feel like this could be 50% more upbeat in tone and then it would be grand. There's a slight impression to the tone of someone who is trying to have a shit at the same time as talking.

SPOILER

Comment

Good point well made, looks and sounds fine. Well done.
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I feel like this could be 50% more upbeat in tone and then it would be grand. There's a slight impression to the tone of someone who is trying to have a shit at the same time as talking.

SPOILER
                            I think there's an over emphasis on "excitement" personally
                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Probably a question for SP.

Where's the best place for getting small US bills? A bank here or an ATM abroad?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Probably a question for SP.

Where's the best place for getting small US bills? A bank here or an ATM abroad?
                                Banks are charging huge amounts for paper currency, I think there is still an ATM at Dublin Airport dispensing $ but I'd imagine one on the street in the US would be the cheapest option.

Comment

Just realised there's absolutely no need to read the Wheel Of Time books as the TV show will start streaming in November. Amazon paying $10m per episode so it's gonna be a good production anyway.
                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Sorry I meant to say it's for Africa. Tips etc.

Comment

SPOILER
                                      Don’t feel that people should need to invest 20 quid into Amazon to learn more about them- if you can figure out they are a morally bankrupt awful for society in every way tat peddler for free then there’s not much hope for you

great to see Facebook getting a good kicking at the moment shame it’s about 8-9 years too late but seems like there’s some momentum to knock that dead eyed freak off his perch

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post

Don’t feel that people should need to invest 20 quid into Amazon to learn more about them- if you can figure out they are a morally bankrupt awful for society in every way tat peddler for free then there’s not much hope for you

great to see Facebook getting a good kicking at the moment shame it’s about 8-9 years too late but seems like there’s some momentum to knock that dead eyed freak off his perch
                                        u ok hun xox
                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

All that talk of player X earlier got me strolling down memory Lane on boards… some great stories

Comment

Euros every bit as welcome as dollars nowadays I usually catty a few fivers for where its appropriate, I'd use local currency as well.

Comment

Nah AWS is fantastic for the world and society as a whole. Cloud reduces the unused server capacity globally massively - efficiencies of scale and all that.

Every software house working on their own infrastructure would be a huge strain on materials for building servers and the extra aircon needed would be insane.

Facebook tho - fair enough.

Comment

Busy week for me, finally went sale agreed on our house (for the second time) last Friday, price is a touch over that achieved in March which maybe is indicative of the market taking a pause for breath at present. Still a good 30% higher than the price paid in July 2015.

And today have verbally agreed to buy a new build in a small development near us in Dublin 18; we had been looking at second hand houses almost exclusively but had enquired about the end-of-terrace builds in this development previously, only mid-terrace left so we demurred. Yesterday got a call that someone had pulled out of buying one of our preferred houses, viewed it in the afternoon and will be paying the booking deposit early next week Won't be ready until January at the earliest, so one more Xmas in our 90 square metre house and then onwards with a life with a whole lot more space! At least that is the hope.

Comment

Comment

Let me know if you want any wallpapering done iona

Comment

GL Paul; new build should be a lot cleaner contractually

Comment

That's great news Paul, delighted for you and the family.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                          Busy week for me, finally went sale agreed on our house (for the second time) last Friday, price is a touch over that achieved in March which maybe is indicative of the market taking a pause for breath at present. Still a good 30% higher than the price paid in July 2015.

And today have verbally agreed to buy a new build in a small development near us in Dublin 18; we had been looking at second hand houses almost exclusively but had enquired about the end-of-terrace builds in this development previously, only mid-terrace left so we demurred. Yesterday got a call that someone had pulled out of buying one of our preferred houses, viewed it in the afternoon and will be paying the booking deposit early next week Won't be ready until January at the earliest, so one more Xmas in our 90 square metre house and then onwards with a life with a whole lot more space! At least that is the hope.
                                                          Nice one Paul. Ditto today. Finally outbid someone in a smoking hot market albeit one that probably is pausing as you say. Could care less once I can afford the repayments AND hang on to my current gaff for the auld age pension loots.

50% more space, right next to a green for the young fella to run around on, quiet cul de sac with good access to shops and buses also. Sorted.

And I might finally get to build my dream record shop/hi-fi listening room eventually!

Comment

I usually go to a bureau de change and change the equivalent of $100 and ask for them in dollar bills. Usually takes a few days to get done, but pretty straightforward.

Question re money. Found some old travellers cheques (american express) id never used when travelling back in the 90s. anyone know if there'd be any issues cashing them? Im assuming at this stage I'd need to speak to american express directly?

Comment

Nice one Benny too, that sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post
                                                                All that talk of player X earlier got me strolling down memory Lane on boards… some great stories
                                                                Cliffs plz as before my time....
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Oh, and dune was fantastic

Comment

Entering the world of graphic novels for the first time. Maus arrived today.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Nah AWS is fantastic for the world and society as a whole. Cloud reduces the unused server capacity globally massively - efficiencies of scale and all that.

Every software house working on their own infrastructure would be a huge strain on materials for building servers and the extra aircon needed would be insane.

Facebook tho - fair enough.
                                                                      In fairness I was specifically talking about the tat flogging part of the business- they shouldn’t even be same company anymore- should have been broken up a long time ago

Comment

In fairness I was specifically talking about the tat flogging part of the business- they shouldn’t even be same company anymore- should have been broken up a long time ago
                                                                        In fairness I was just being a bit of a dick

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                          Oh, and dune was fantastic
                                                                          Saw it and thought it took itself too seriously, was a bit tedious in places. Better to watch on big screen though no doubt
                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Have read the books a while ago.... Thought it was a good adoption.... I did give up on the books though after a while as it did get tedious

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                              Have read the books a while ago.... Thought it was a good adoption.... I did give up on the books though after a while as it did get tedious
                                                                              I have Dune on the way to me, reading your bad review has me really excited about getting stuck in.

Comment

I have Dune on the way to me, reading your bad review has me really excited about getting stuck in.
                                                                                Ha... I actually agree with andyfatbastaard assesment of the books.

I just like to temper expectation as I love fanasty and science fiction books and have high standards when it come to them.

If you looking for a good enjoyable fanasty read, can recommend the Empire trilogy by watts/fiest.

Comment

But for my money, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rossfuss is the best fanasty book out there. Writer is a prick but a brilliant brilliant writer.

Comment

Still think 11.22.63 is a load of shite though

Comment

Is wall paper still sold?

Comment

Comment

Where are you off to in Africa Denny?

Comment

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                              Incredible!

Comment

Have two tickets for Once Before I Go for tomorrow (Friday) evening in the Gate. Need to ditch it due to new house stuff. Would anyone be interested in the tickets? (no cost, of course) https://www.gatetheatre.ie/production/once-before-i-go/

Comment

But for my money, Name of the Wind by Patrick Rossfuss is the best fanasty book out there. Writer is a prick but a brilliant brilliant writer.
                                                                                                  Re-read the series recently and they really are a wonderful read. Slow Regard of Silent Things is great too.

Favourite fantasy series so far is Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Read NK Jemisins Broken Earth trilogy recently and loved it.

And while recommending books, away from fantasy Pete Paphides' Broken Greek is a lovely book I flew through last month

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Read NK Jemisins Broken Earth trilogy recently and loved it.
                                                                                                    I enjoyed it but there are a remarkable number of extremely flimsy justifications for actual genocide in it. Probably my favourite book where the main characters are mass murderers on an incredible scale. Really quite incredible how the author maintains a veneer of respectability about them by virtue of their own perceived victimhood.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

I enjoyed it but there are a remarkable number of extremely flimsy justifications for actual genocide in it. Probably my favourite book where the main characters are mass murderers on an incredible scale. Really quite incredible how the author maintains a veneer of respectability about them by virtue of their own perceived victimhood.
                                                                                                      Yup, defo a "this seems fine" job

Comment

Played Royal Curragh yesterday.
                                                                                                        *only golfers read.

My drive on the 18th was a tad to the left , I was stuck behind the trees , only option seemed like a sideways pitch. Hmmm is it possible to turn the club head and swing normally and draw it Bubba style, almost a hook. Called The shot 'pool style' and then boom I watched it fly and turn towards the green and roll on to the green for a missed birdie boo.
                                                                                                        I've has a couple of Aces in my life but that shot was the greatest shot I've ever hit. For a shite golfer it was akin to the blind squirrel finding the nut.

Name change to Bubba please.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                          Played Royal Curragh yesterday.
                                                                                                          *only golfers read.

My drive on the 18th was a tad to the left , I was stuck behind the trees , only option seemed like a sideways pitch. Hmmm is it possible to turn the club head and swing normally and draw it Bubba style, almost a hook. Called The shot 'pool style' and then boom I watched it fly and turn towards the green and roll on to the green for a missed birdie boo.
                                                                                                          I've has a couple of Aces in my life but that shot was the greatest shot I've ever hit. For a shite golfer it was akin to the blind squirrel finding the nut.

Name change to Bubba please.
                                                                                                          Love it when it all comes together like that. A great skill to be able to pull of those types of escapes.

I only ever had one cool shot like that. Was about 130 yards out on the left, under a decent sized tree with a about 15-20 yards to a similar sized one. The tree trunks obscured the straight punch shot at the pin and chip to the fairway. I needed two chips/punches to get back in play or........ I don't know how but I decided to put the ball back of stance up for a big slice aiming about 30 yards left of the green. Figured that I still had a 2nd chip or punch out regardless so nothing to lose. Anyway I went under the branches of the first tree and over/around the 2nd using my 8 iron. Hit the left side of the green and it spun a few feet right towards the pin leaving an unlikely birdie putt (a long one but I did make par). Legit looked like a Bubba shot. I know I have about 3% chance of repeating it again if I try. Just a magical feeling when it came off.

Probably the only "escape" shot I can routinely do is a low punch hook like yours but I never get a result that special. Usually 4-6 iron does the job for 100-150 yards. The single reason I've learned to do it would be down to a lot of duck hooks off the tee into the trees on the left of my home course. Now if you can tell me how to do a low cut/slice I'll consider turning pro. Every time I try it, the ball balloons high and right no matter the loft. It's way harder to pull off imo.

Comment

Sickening cringe- it looks so lame- I’d be dumping “meta” stock if I had any.
                                                                                                            Hopefully energy constraints due to switch to clean energy will kill off this grimness

Comment

Saw it and thought it took itself too seriously, was a bit tedious in places. Better to watch on big screen though no doubt
                                                                                                              The only thing that annoyed me was the overuse of slow-mo shots, and it reminded me of watching France 6 nations games with Brian Moore commentating and him getting more and more annoyed with the producers for using ultra slow motion on big hits or wingers running.

Comment

Random convo post golf

When you consider Oasis , the Kinks , the Fogartys in Creedance , UB40 it seems brothers shouldn't be in a band together unless theyve been already opressed/abused by parents . Eg Jackson 5 , beachboys. .

The bee gees were outliners in my crazy tenuous pointless drink talk ( type of thing that needed dissecting over a Guinness though) some shite talk when aving a pint. I blame lockdown

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                                                                  Random convo post golf

When you consider Oasis , the Kinks , the Fogartys in Creedance , UB40 it seems brothers shouldn't be in a band together unless theyve been already opressed/abused by parents . Eg Jackson 5 , beachboys. .

The bee gees were outliners in my crazy tenuous pointless drink talk ( type of thing that needed dissecting over a Guinness though) some shite talk when aving a pint. I blame lockdown
                                                                                                                  How do you leave Bros out of this? (and indeed Jedward)

for shame

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

How do you leave Bros out of this? (and indeed Jedward)

for shame
                                                                                                                    Twins are a different animal . However wish I had thought of these even though the subject was MUSIC. We were struggling after we hit the Osmonds . We had even recruited some others in the bar for assistance. The Dooleys was offered . was raging we didnt have more beers to flesh this shite out a bit more

Comment

Yuck, four separate acquaintances (from 4 totally different circles) have tested positive in last 24 hours. All vaxxed, thankfully none of them particularly ill.

Shoulda stayed in Copenhagen.

Comment

Since the start of this pandemic for an outbreak amateur like me it seemed reasonable enough to look at countries that were 4-6 weeks ahead of us and to get an idea of what to expect, you can see these coming down the line, same with the vaccine rollout, look to countries that were the first to mass vaccinate and see what happened them, the need for a third shot/booster shot has been hiding in the long grass for weeks now, virus is spreading from both vaccinated and unvaxed, not just the unvaxed, give everyone who wants a booster the option, it has been proven after ~8 months antibody levels are very low and to keep on top of it we all need to be topped up...probably for ever ? ?

This too shall pass.

Comment

Sickening cringe- it looks so lame- I’d be dumping “meta” stock if I had any.
                                                                                                                          Hopefully energy constraints due to switch to clean energy will kill off this grimness
                                                                                                                          https://youtu.be/SAL2JZxpoGY
                                                                                                                          I was expecting this to a be an overly grumpy take on it, given your posting history but you are spot on, that is totally cringe. The street art bit was the only thing that seems an improvement on current life. Why the fuck would anyone bother to recreate 'floating in space' in the metaverse unless your body experiences the exact same thing IRL, in a full body harness (or I guess your mind is tricked into feeling it 'for real', a la the Matrix)?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X