This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
    Used to essentially live in Amsterdam when my ex was doing a masters there and it's still hard to believe how amazing they have it every day with cycling. Absolutely loved it every day.
    And Copenhagen seems to be Neth++.

With no covid restrictions whatsoever just for the added bonus.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
        Rented bikes and cycled all over Copenhagen today. Like being in some celestial dream-city for cyclists.

Lots of this:
        17563586811_7bfa313059_z.jpg
        and this amazing bridge:
        224657_Lille-Langebro_Giuseppe-Liverino-5.jpg?width=610&height=343&mode=crop.jpg
        Hold on, these people aren't wearing aerodynamic helmets, or wearing Lycra or riding €10,000 bikes you could win the Tour de France with.

Mrs. Duke looking well.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

With no covid restrictions whatsoever just for the added bonus.
          I'd imagine you, like us, are a bit surprised how nice it is to just have the whole thing gone. No masks anywhere. No certs. Just normal. And it seems like a small thing and yet its very relieving.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'd imagine you, like us, are a bit surprised how nice it is to just have the whole thing gone. No masks anywhere. No certs. Just normal. And it seems like a small thing and yet its very relieving.
            Same in England. It's like covid never happened. Took the mask off after walking out of the airport, didnt take it out of my bag until I climbed the steps to board the plane home.

Would like to see it become optional here too. People still wore masks over there, as is their right. Was great to not have to tho.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Same in England. It's like covid never happened. Took the mask off after walking out of the airport, didnt take it out of my bag until I climbed the steps to board the plane home.

Would like to see it become optional here too. People still wore masks over there, as is their right. Was great to not have to tho.
              Denmark has gone a step further and you wouldn't see anyone with a mask. Its nice to just not have the reminders even. I wonder if they act as mini-stresses the constantly having to think about the mask. Yeah, I think we might need to go that way. Not least as the mask wearing seems to have not stopped that woeful cold going around, so is clearly worse than useless.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Anytime I or anyone I know goes to spain,they come back with a lorryload of difene
                As of the start of 2020 this has been stopped. Not available over the counter any more unfortunately.

Comment

Nice to have big poker tourneys back in dublin. Great seeing a lot of familiar faces in the IPO. Was a bonus cashing in the mini to recoup the expenses for the weekend and then some.
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I'd gladly wear a mask for the rest of my life, I don't know what the big deal is about them. The only hassle is if you forget it. I'd happily trade wearing a mask for getting fewer colds/flues.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                      I'd gladly wear a mask for the rest of my life, I don't know what the big deal is about them. The only hassle is if you forget it. I'd happily trade wearing a mask for getting fewer colds/flues.
                      Agreed you really do worry at the fragility of people who have a problem with them- should be wearing them in indoor public spaces all the time during cold flu season.
                      wait till they see that mitigating climate change will require more than just slight corrections to their middle class consumption habits
                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

If you look carefully in the likes of Irish times/independent you can see rent seeking parasites are pivoting to green stuff- there will be plenty of gravy in it for some
                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

It's actually the kids who it seems to have the biggest effect on.

Anyway, off now to the Danish Architecture Museum and then Tivoli Gardens (on the grounds it would be cruel and inhuman not to).

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Hold on, these people aren't wearing aerodynamic helmets, or wearing Lycra or riding €10,000 bikes you could win the Tour de France with.

Mrs. Duke looking well.
                            Yeah, I'd say <10% wear helmets. And the majority have those old-style upright bikes which are surprisingly easy to ride. Although they do painstakingly obey every signal, even if no-one's around to see them do it.
                            The cycle lane design is genius.

Not Mrs D3 in the photo, although she'd fit well into this place as a blonde, green-eyed Viking. Clearly some raiders made it to the Wesht a millenium ago. People keep coming up to her and similarly-hued son to jabber in Danish. Ancestral memory.

Comment

Was 'The Witness' Book / Podcast discussed in here?

Listened to the Podcast. Enjoyed it. Don't think i'll need to do the book but it would probably explain some stuff. Looking at the success of Kin(Haven't seen it) and Love/Hate you'd think RTE or someone else should commission an 8 part show. A true story that easily plays out. Grim as fcuk. Would be a hit.
                              It's hard to articulate in a post how i felt about it.

SPOILER
                              Felt Joey never stood much of a chance in life considering what he seen in his upbringing/His Dad and the rest. If it wasn't Kenny i'm confident a life of crime awaited regardless.

Obviously Kenny is as bad a human being as there is. Deplorable. Should be buried under the prison.
                              Thought Joey was spoofing a lot of the way. Blamed him on every bit of crime he ever committed. Tripped himself up a lot.
                              Marlo Hyland "I heard a lot about you" made him more than just a runner/Junior for Kenny.
                              Confused why the killing or O'Reilly hit home a lot more than the "Chopping up of Junkies" (O'Reilly himself was a scumbag). Crying at the grave was a strange look.

Comment

If people who are coughing / have symptoms of a cold wore them it would be sufficient. Think that's standard enough in Japan for years now.

Reminds me of people attending the office sneezing away for 7 hours in a room with others as they 'werent ill enough to take a sick day'. Cheers, you've timed it that I get symptoms on a Friday and that's my weekend fecked.
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post

If people who are coughing / have symptoms of a cold wore them it would be sufficient. Think that's standard enough in Japan for years now.

Reminds me of people attending the office sneezing away for 7 hours in a room with others as they 'werent ill enough to take a sick day'. Cheers, you've timed it that I get symptoms on a Friday and that's my weekend fecked.
                                  Tightly linked to work sick pay. For example in one job I lost first days pay when I went sick. Not staying at home with a sniffle and losing a full days pay.

Work from home is a happy compromise there now
                                  airport, lol

Comment

Denmark has gone a step further and you wouldn't see anyone with a mask. Its nice to just not have the reminders even. I wonder if they act as mini-stresses the constantly having to think about the mask. Yeah, I think we might need to go that way. Not least as the mask wearing seems to have not stopped that woeful cold going around, so is clearly worse than useless.

Last edited by DeadParrot; 26-10-21, 09:46.
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Went to Lullymore haloween themed on Sunday. Highlight was the cho choo train attacked by Zombies and a clown with a chain saw. Kids shit themselves . I took an unnatural joy from watching them dive for cover. My own horror story came when I returned and saw what tactics Ole had worked out to play Liverpool. .

Comment

You always had the choice to wear a mask and you always will. I see no reason for them to still be legally required though. We've had a ridiculously high vaccine uptake. Just open up and get on with life at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Tightly linked to work sick pay. For example in one job I lost first days pay when I went sick. Not staying at home with a sniffle and losing a full days pay.

Work from home is a happy compromise there now
                                          I've been sick for 8 weeks now and thereunder the new world order I have only gone in one day that I needed to and was there on my own. WFH a couple of days that I was feeling awful I just stayed in bed an extra hour or two and worked away as normal at my own pace for the rest of the day.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah. We're a bit undecided on this, but think the current kitchen is too bad (see image below), so we'll just take everything out, get new equipment as its all very old at the moment - ancient really - that's the main cost, and then IKEA the furniture, so its no bother or lost money if we eventually expand the space, as IKEA is all modular anyway. Thats the thinking in any case, whether or not its well thought through.

The kitchen space is the big problem. Its 2.44m long and 2.1m wide. So - the thinking is 4 x 60cm standard square blocks on the outer wall side - cooker, sink, dishwasher, storage. Some wall stuff there also along with the extractor. Then on the other wall we have 40cm wide storage stuff bottom and top, for three 60cm length blocks, and a mini counter in between the top and bottom. Has to be less wide to leave space to walk about the kitchen, and shorter length to allow using the interior and exterior door (both open outwards).

Washing machine and dryer in a small outhouse. Fridge just outside the kitchen in a space under the stairs. I'm not really sure about the practicality of the fridge thing, someone said it was a good idea. To remove the kitchen door. Free up and open up the current storage space under the stairs and pop the fridge in there. Use a painting or floor tiling scheme to give the appearance that the kitchen and the under-stairs fridge are all part of the same scheme.

I'm really just pointing out the details in case there's something obviously wrong with the plan and you can stop me in my tracks!!

SPOILER
                                            I've seen the floor plan. Having two opposite linear kitchens like that is a galley kitchen. Can be very space efficient, but also very pokey. (like a galley on a ship or a plane). access both sides is better than the dead end style. But the issue is the doors are not centering a odd chicane at both ends. Biggest issue is that the kitchen doesn't connect to the dining area. There two ways to solve that. Open to the dining, or extend to the back.

Despite Raoul's concerns, a kitchen open to the liviing area is standard and not an issue. But a kitchen open to the hallway is not. Don't remove the door.
                                            A fridge outside the kitchen a disaster. Unless its a beer or wine fridge. Trying to bring the under stair store into the kitchen is good in theory, but will end up with an odd stair bullhead poking in.
                                            Only was to make it work imo is to come in the other side, but then you lose a 600x600 block of the kitchen - so no benefit.
                                            You could replace like for like with Ikea, and reuse them in the future kitchen. But no real benefit over doing it all in one in future. If replacing now, go for space efficient appliances - the future kitchen won't be massive.

It's very irish to have the laundry in the kitchen, and generally takes away more than it adds. Having it out the back would be much better.
                                            As I know you not a massive DIY enthusiast shed could easily be split in to shed/storage and an additional room. For the bants call it a man cave, and tell the wife the other one with the washer is her lady cave. But kids room, home office, or den of debauchery all options. Might be better to use that as the first attempt at DIY. As if you fuck it up, no real harm.

Comment

Comment

Dropped the eldest, least sick, kid up the mountains today near Johnny Foxes for a halloween school holiday camp. They just run around for six hours exploring the mountains etc. Kids these days have some glorious options. Don't even think it was expensive. €120 for the week.

Comment

In the fifth hour now of trying to get the house keys. We've finally worn down the estate agents from their plinth of never having seen the keys, wouldn't know what a key looks like, to now acknowledging, after solicitor intervention, that they do in fact have the keys, but in an unoccupied office and held by a currently untraceable estate agent. These new fangled virtual estate agents have a few logistical shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I've seen the floor plan. Having two opposite linear kitchens like that is a galley kitchen. Can be very space efficient, but also very pokey. (like a galley on a ship or a plane). access both sides is better than the dead end style. But the issue is the doors are not centering a odd chicane at both ends. Biggest issue is that the kitchen doesn't connect to the dining area. There two ways to solve that. Open to the dining, or extend to the back.

Despite Raoul's concerns, a kitchen open to the liviing area is standard and not an issue. But a kitchen open to the hallway is not. Don't remove the door.
                                                    A fridge outside the kitchen a disaster. Unless its a beer or wine fridge. Trying to bring the under stair store into the kitchen is good in theory, but will end up with an odd stair bullhead poking in.
                                                    Only was to make it work imo is to come in the other side, but then you lose a 600x600 block of the kitchen - so no benefit.
                                                    You could replace like for like with Ikea, and reuse them in the future kitchen. But no real benefit over doing it all in one in future. If replacing now, go for space efficient appliances - the future kitchen won't be massive.

It's very irish to have the laundry in the kitchen, and generally takes away more than it adds. Having it out the back would be much better.
                                                    As I know you not a massive DIY enthusiast shed could easily be split in to shed/storage and an additional room. For the bants call it a man cave, and tell the wife the other one with the washer is her lady cave. But kids room, home office, or den of debauchery all options. Might be better to use that as the first attempt at DIY. As if you fuck it up, no real harm.
                                                    There's a lot of useful advice here, thanks!!

Comment

This is probably the end of kids being allowed in hotel swimming pools. Parents sign a waiver saying they'll look after their kid in swimming pool, then get unfortunately distracted, and an insurance company has to hand over €2.5m and will never again insure another swimming pool in the country. Our legal liability system is taking away so many nice things.

Comment

This is probably the end of kids being allowed in hotel swimming pools. Parents sign a waiver saying they'll look after their kid in swimming pool, then get unfortunately distracted, and an insurance company has to hand over €2.5m and will never again insure another swimming pool in the country. Our legal liability system is taking away so many nice things.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/...-40985863.html
                                                        It's ridiculous. I can't recall seeing lifeguards in any (or many) hotel swimming pools I've been in, so unless most hotels are very lax in their obligations, I'm assuming there is no legal obligation to provide one. That being the case, how could the hotel have been found liable here? Obviously something is amiss, but this is why we can't have nice things in this country.

Comment

Go to hotels a lot with the kids . Always a life guard . If you offer pool facilities you have to offer safety also. Simples

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

We built the laundry and some units into our garage when we moved into our house. Still plenty of room for bikes etc in there and freed up a ton of space in the kitchen for food and as rd3 pointed out our clothes won’t smell of whatever food we decided to cook a few days ago.

Not sure if it was a devious master plan by my wife but we also put the beer and wine fridge/storage out there too. This has resulted in me doing a lot of the laundry.

Comment

Such has the popularity of non-alcoholic Guinness become that one bartender in Tralee recently told this writer that when they inquired about getting the drink for their pub, they were told they would have to go on a waiting list until potentially February, such is the demand for it.
                                                              It's the new veganism. The new cycling. What all the cool kids are now doing. Although I don't really see the point of the 'club' mentioned in the article.

The growing popularity of non-alcoholic or ‘0.0’ drinks has been happening for a while with more and more companies such as Heineken and Guinness offering customers a zero alcohol version of their drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                                Go to hotels a lot with the kids . Always a life guard . If you offer pool facilities you have to offer safety also. Simples
                                                                I'm not sure I've ever seen a hotel lifeguard outside of mega hotel resorts. Those places with small 'hotel style' pools never have lifeguards. I thought it was fairly clearly user-beware.

Comment

Lifeguard cover for 14 hours a day for a 100 bed hotel would add maybe €3-5 per room costs. That's why it is supplied as 'at user risk'. Very few hotels would have the price flexibility to incorporate that. All that will happen is that pools will now be for 18+, kids won't be allowed. Outside of very touristy large (international) hotels.

Comment

It's the new veganism. The new cycling. What all the cool kids are now doing. Although I don't really see the point of the 'club' mentioned in the article.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/k...-40982089.html
                                                                    Is that not essentially just a bunch of mates/people with similar interests going to a restaurant and not boozing? So it's like any other restaurant in the country but for some reason she has contacted the press about their night out.

Comment

An important point missing from HH's link from the Independent is that it's possible that the size of the pool could mean that a life-guard actually was compulsory.
                                                                      I guess neither side wanted to go down the path of whether it is defined as two separate pools or a big 'pool area' that exceeds the guidelines where an attendant is needed.

€2.5m for boy with brain injury after near-drowning (rte.ie)
                                                                      Senior Counsel Liam Reidy said it was an issue between the sides as to whether the size of the pool required an attendant.
                                                                      He said the larger pool did not fall within the guidelines requiring an attendant, but if combined with the children's pool it would.

Comment

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/k...-40982089.html
                                                                        Only in Ireland would you need a non-alcoholic club. Pretty much describes the relationship with alcohol in a nutshell. My missus constantly moaned (pre-covid) about how much of a pain in the hole it is try to socialize without alcohol. Option A - drinking. Option B - See option A. If you're not a sporty person it limits options further. Not living in Dublin or a moderate urban area doesn't help either. Don't get me wrong I love a pint (or craft beer) as much as the next fella so never would have cared or noticed tbh. Would be interested to hear some non-drinkers take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

I've been sick for 8 weeks now and thereunder the new world order I have only gone in one day that I needed to and was there on my own. WFH a couple of days that I was feeling awful I just stayed in bed an extra hour or two and worked away as normal at my own pace for the rest of the day.
                                                                          It's nice to have the option now but not everyone can work from home. It's positions that can't wfh where it gets interesting, a lot of companies would seem to prefer you show up rather than actually think bigger picture.

Also get well soon!!
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Is that not essentially just a bunch of mates/people with similar interests going to a restaurant and not boozing? So it's like any other restaurant in the country but for some reason she has contacted the press about their night out.
                                                                            That's classic anti-Tralee bias right there.

Comment

That's classic anti-Tralee bias right there.
                                                                              Haha. Yeah, 100%. And I know her too and shes an awful gowl. It was no surprise to see her name attached to it.

Comment

Probably good that the insurance company takes some responsibility for the cost of care of the lad which will fall on the state after the money runs out.

An 11 year old spending Christmas in a hotel with their mother and grandmother seems a bit sad.

Comment

6 hours plus in Tivoli Gardens. Fairly magical after darkness falls. Every city should have one!

Comment

Now is the time for RDs kids to push the 'if you think this is good we should try the wonder that is Disney'

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                      Probably good that the insurance company takes some responsibility for the cost of care of the lad which will fall on the state after the money runs out.

An 11 year old spending Christmas in a hotel with their mother and grandmother seems a bit sad.
                                                                                      'insurance company' just means - 'everyone else'.

Comment

'insurance company' just means - 'Everyone who holidays in Irish spa hotels.'.
                                                                                        FYP

Comment

Now is the time for RDs kids to push the 'if you think this is good we should try the wonder that is Disney'
                                                                                          Ha. They have given up on the dream of Disney tbf at this stage. The years of blanket refusal have beaten then down.

Comment

Now sampling some bottles of Julebryg, as per Ole's recommendation. Certainly smells festive.

Comment

Ha. They have given up on the dream of Disney tbf at this stage. The years of blanket refusal have beaten then down.
                                                                                              No way Disney is happening but I can see Lego land…
                                                                                              ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Raoul.

Sister just took her kid back from Disneyland Paris this weekend. If you have the means why deprive the offspring.

Having said that Denmark trip should stay embedded for life.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

No way Disney is happening but I can see Lego land…
                                                                                                  Had a golfing holiday around Orlando planned for October since April. Was sure the restrictions would be lifted by then but sucked out by 2 weeks.

Got a refund for everything but had to push the flights. Trying again mid Jan. Car hire gone bonkers. Going to Uber around if things don't improve.
                                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Some yobbo tried to rob my bike this evening.... Wasn't successful but broke the lock . Guard says only way to get the lock removed is to use an cordless angle grinder. Is there a way to borrow or rent one, as don't really want to fork out 100 euros for a tool I would only need to use once?
                                                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                      Some yobbo tried to rob my bike this evening.... Wasn't successful but broke the lock . Guard says only way to get the lock removed is to use an cordless angle grinder. Is there a way to borrow or rent one, as don't really want to fork out 100 euros for a tool I would only need to use once?
                                                                                                      Yep. Renting them is common in any builders providers. Just googled angle grinder rental Dublin and it seems quite reasonable too

Comment

You always had the choice to wear a mask and you always will. I see no reason for them to still be legally required though. We've had a ridiculously high vaccine uptake. Just open up and get on with life at this stage.
                                                                                                        Wearing masks reduces the spread - that's the point.

Comment

Name change to ShariahJelly.?

Comment

6 hours plus in Tivoli Gardens. Fairly magical after darkness falls. Every city should have one!
                                                                                                            Was there a couple of years ago, rain bucketed down the whole time and still had a decent time

Comment

Went to the Museum of Literature https://moli.ie/ on Stephens Green last Sunday. It's probably a bit heavy on the Joyce stuff for most, though well worth a visit. Best part was the café which has outdoor seating in a nice garden at the back. It also leads out to the Iveagh Gardens. Only mentioning it, as I'd never heard of it before.

Comment

Had a brain melter with my mom yesterday.
                                                                                                                Visited her yesterday in a nursing home where she's recovering from an operation
                                                                                                                & brought up a little lilac bag
                                                                                                                from her writing desk that she wanted.

Eyes lit up when I produced it,
                                                                                                                Oooh lovely she says, c'mon down to the garden.
                                                                                                                Takes 1/2 an hour to teeter along the corridors
                                                                                                                with the aid of a walking frame.
                                                                                                                Get her sat down at a table & she opens it up,
                                                                                                                out comes a lighter, some cigarette papers,
                                                                                                                a pouch of tobacco and finally
                                                                                                                a little plastic bag of weed!!!

I genuinely had no idea.
                                                                                                                sat there open mouthed
                                                                                                                as she expertly rolled herself a spliff.

Don't tell your sister will ya
                                                                                                                says my frail little 84 year old
                                                                                                                as she winks at me.

Comment

Haha, I love her.
                                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

how were The Thrills not one of the biggest bands of all time? totally baffling

Comment

This thread is brilliant, the fucking neck on people

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

That winds me up to no end. People are awful entitled cunts
                                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                                                                                          Had a brain melter with my mom yesterday.
                                                                                                                          ...
                                                                                                                          Nothing to the brain melter she had

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X