This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Nearly certain that's his name - providing that's his trademark big bald head.
    I’d be pretty sure that’s him alright
    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Player X?

Comment

Dune delivered. The best possible adaption that could be achieved IMHO. 5\5.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Have been finding excuses not to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm for nearly a decade. Those first few episodes are awfully hard going. But once it gets going and leaves the simple jokes behind it becomes a joyous work of art.
          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Spent a decent part of this morning trying, crying, and failing to design a kitchen in a 5.11 square metre space using the IKEA kitchen design app.

I'm hesitant to claim victory at this point, but it looks almost okay.

Then in the afternoon we went to a carpet place and tried to identify nice carpets based on rubbing our fingers through the carpets. Is there a better way for picking out carpets?

Tomorrow we pick out a paint scheme. In the aim to paint the whole place this coming week and have it dry out before moving in the following week.

There is serious debate in the house as to whether we should be doing any of this at all, or instead move in, get a feel for the place and then make decisions. I get the idea of not making structural changes, but my thinking is that we want to move into somewhere that doesn't look like student digs. Plus the wife lacks a bit of get-up-and-go on projects, so I feel a need to counteract by going more in the opposite direction.

Not sure there's much of a risk of what we are doing. We're stuck with the kitchen for a few years anyway. So may as well make it functional and nice. It can all be repurposed in a larger kitchen setting anyway, so there's no harm no foul with installing it now.

Carpets upstairs and flooring downstairs doesn't seem much of a bother and is a nice quality. We'll keep it neutral enough so there's nothing outlandish going in. The paint scheme is hard to do when you are actually in the house, so this two week window is a fairly handy space to use. Well that's my thinking anyway.
            hi

can put you in touch with carpet company if you wish
            if you go down the laminate or engineered wood way I can help you with that

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
              Tuborg is muck here tho
              Yeah it's 'Classic', which I've never encountered outside of Denmark. Totally different, in the good way.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Yeah it's 'Classic', which I've never encountered outside of Denmark. Totally different, in the good way.
                Too early for the "yule" beers ?

Brother is over there this weekend, looks like he had a great time in Tivoli yesterday.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Too early for the "yule" beers ?

Brother is over there this weekend, looks like he had a great time in Tivoli yesterday.
                  Julebryg

Saw them in the shops. Worth a lash?

Comment

"while that may be true"

Comment

Julebryg

Saw them in the shops. Worth a lash?
                      Try almost everything once is my motto...
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                          Player X?
                          Am I right in thinking he became player X because he threatened boards with legal action if anyone put his actual name up when recounting the various stories of him being a prick?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Am I right in thinking he became player X because he threatened boards with legal action if anyone put his actual name up when recounting the various stories of him being a prick?
                            Oh wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

In fairness to the man he had a temper but is a very generous kind person. He was having a smoke once outside the jackpot homeless guy asked him for one gave him the pack then remarked haven’t the price of a other pack but that man’s worse off. Would always poker wise go for a fair chip and try to make sure dealers were looked after. Easiest man in the world to tilt .

Comment

"Where's the flag from, it looks cool" I asked the lady selling cakes at a stall festooned in some country's flag. I could see her mentally sizing me up, which is unusual in cake-stall-repartee.

SPOILER

In fairness the Spanish flag does look far more exotic than it actually is.

Comment

Hitch, how could you not recognise the Spanish flag?
                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Apparently the prop gun was used off set by crew members for target practice so live round or rounds may have been left in chamber. Police also found both live and blank ammo stored in the same area. Clusterfuck.

Comment

Jaysis. Norm. There's a man I wouldn't have thought about for another second in my life if it didn't come up here. Was some characters around back in the day.

The player x story is cool. Some belters on the old site. It felt the scene had died a fair bit before this place even started up

Comment

Last edited by dinekes; 24-10-21, 13:26.

Comment

Comment

Haha, this is good

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

I’d be pretty sure that’s him alright
                                              If it is him it looks like a ctrl-c ctrl-v from 15 years ago right down to the brown suit jacket with denims. Maybe he was younger than he looked back then but I would have had him being into his eighties by now.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Looking forward to getting back into the Aquarium, say what you like about Luke from the pov of the paying punter he always ran the best games in the best settings. Hard to see how it works for the businiess anymore but I do hope they are able to run an attractive tournament schedule.

Good LOL at HJ's snide harrumph at Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  BennyHiFi or anyone else who might be able to advise.
                                                  I've got a small budget c. 1k to set up a turntable, amp and speakers for a vinyl café. Any recommendations for equipment that would be hardy enough and straightforward to allow randomers use.

It's a small high roofed space and we'd want to run extra speakers out to a different room.
                                                  The general rule of thumb is spend most on your source. In this case the record player. Well, technically the stylus then cartridge then record player) but you'll be getting them all as a package so that's fine.

I'd definitely recommend a direct drive turntable (rather than belt drive) as they are buit for DJ-ing and will wear infinitely better in a commercial environment. They're pretty idiot proof too and will have much sturdier stylus/cartridge set up. Technics 1200s or 1210s were/are the industry standard but too much for this budget.

I'd disagree with CC about Audio Technica in so much that they are designed to be used where there are a lot of people, food, drink etc... and will require little set up . Good in that bracket are https://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_tech...40xp_black.htm or https://www.thomann.de/ie/audio_tech...htm?glp=1&gcli d=Cj0KCQjwiNSLBhCPARIsAKNS4_fvhtmh8yXkD4bLbLkQ2cdc yzxmcz6v9BpLTXBFYMKqE8ShosKFlTYaAgPzEALw_wcB

Stanton is also an excellent sturdy make with good sound quality around the 500 mark.

I'd then split the remaining 500 between amp and speakers. Personally, I'd be buying second hand for value but that may not be an option. But if IT IS amps are much easier to buy and more reliable second hand than speakers. https://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipment?words=amplifier - plenty here offering good value. Go for as high a watts per channel output as you can get at your price point if you going to be powering speakers over conversation/general hubub and with a high ceiling.

For speakers JBL seem to be very popular in small commercial spaces with OK sound quality. Speakers are probably the most improved component in hifi in the recent past so you could go 300 on the amp and 200 on speakers and always upgrade if needed. The guys at hifihut.ie are very helpful so if you wanted a one stop shop to discuss what's best for the budget they could certainly help.

Hope that's useful!

b.

PS I haven't mentioned wireless options cos I don't know enough about it TBH being an analogue guy mostly. Also you could investigate active speakers (with a built in amp) and roll your savings into better speakers. Oh... and don't skimp too much on cables... it would be a shame to spend that money then use telephone wire-type cables so if you can save 50-100 of the budget (maybe by buying second hand or getting a deal with the likes of a hifihut ) for cables it will be worth it for the overall sound.

Comment

Theater of Nightmares.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Nice one Benny and CC thanks a million

Comment

SP, loving that mick flannery "in the game" album. fantastic stuff. plenty of tix left for an intimate london venue, gutted i can't go that day

Comment

Name change to Kaput

Comment

If it is him it looks like a ctrl-c ctrl-v from 15 years ago right down to the brown suit jacket with denims. Maybe he was younger than he looked back then but I would have had him being into his eighties by now.
                                                            He could have been early 50s then and around 65-67 now. There wouldn't be a world of difference to your looks in that age band.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                              SP, loving that mick flannery "in the game" album. fantastic stuff. plenty of tix left for an intimate london venue, gutted i can't go that day
                                                              They will be performing it with the RTE symphony orchestra on RTE Radio 1 tomorrow afternoon, will be available to stream live and I expect afterwards as well.

Comment

He could have been early 50s then and around 65-67 now. There wouldn't be a world of difference to your looks in that age band.
                                                                Yeah, thought it was a strange comment especially from SP, who used to look about 84, and then went to looking 52 a few years later
                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Excellent day out at Bakken, which seems to be Danish version of Tayto Park. Except with no queues and many fine bars where you can partake while your offspring experience the various rides.

Got the impression we were the sole tourists there too.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                    @CC
                                                                    Cheers

Annoying when they get stuck though.

God I would kill for some opioids. On industrial strength anti inflamms.
                                                                    Anytime I or anyone I know goes to spain,they come back with a lorryload of difene
                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Shouldn't be out of the realms of possibility to organise a forum night for a tourney or something?
                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Spent a decent part of this morning trying, crying, and failing to design a kitchen in a 5.11 square metre space using the IKEA kitchen design app.

Then in the afternoon we went to a carpet place and tried to identify nice carpets based on rubbing our fingers through the carpets. Is there a better way for picking out carpets?

Tomorrow we pick out a paint scheme. In the aim to paint the whole place this coming week and have it dry out before moving in the following week.

There is serious debate in the house as to whether we should be doing any of this at all, or instead move in, get a feel for the place and then make decisions. I get the idea of not making structural changes, but my thinking is that we want to move into somewhere that doesn't look like student digs. Plus the wife lacks a bit of get-up-and-go on projects, so I feel a need to counteract by going more in the opposite direction.

Not sure there's much of a risk of what we are doing. We're stuck with the kitchen for a few years anyway. So may as well make it functional and nice. It can all be repurposed in a larger kitchen setting anyway, so there's no harm no foul with installing it now.

Carpets upstairs and flooring downstairs doesn't seem much of a bother and is a nice quality. We'll keep it neutral enough so there's nothing outlandish going in. The paint scheme is hard to do when you are actually in the house, so this two week window is a fairly handy space to use. Well that's my thinking anyway.
                                                                        Feet >> hands
                                                                        Get a few samples and try them out on the toes

Comment

What a day to choose to go to Old Trafford again. Bloody hell. Saving grace of an unbelievably top quality day/night out in liverpool last night. Oles at the wheel

Comment

If I had e1k to spend on high-fidelity hardware on the second hand market for a vinyl cafe at the minute I'd be considering these types of value options.

I'm not advocating for whether they offer fantastic value or the best sound but something likely to balance credibility with quality workmanship and a genuine attempt to sound consistently good.

The actual sound? (Well, that's always a matter of opinion). Here's a few examples...

Turntables:

x2 Stanton - https://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipme...decks/29421715 - e350 the pair

x2 Audio Technica - https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/au...ables/24451695 - e400 the pair

Thorens - https://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipme...table/29526197 - e299

Amps:

LuxmanI - I-410 https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/am...l-410/23483160 (Lovely vintage refurb should have more than enough power) - e500

Onkyo - https://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipme...annel/28601341 e170

Marantz - https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/ma...ature/24411024 - e195

Speakers:

Acoustic Energy - https://www.donedeal.ie/audioequipme...phile/29527960 - e200

Mission - https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/mi...akers/24608773 - e280

Tannoy - https://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/ta...akers/25162298 - e250

You could pick any combo of these and it would work in your living room but not in a commercial environment and vice versa. You could deffo get a less 'separates' system for the budget but as it's essentially an alien space for vinyl records I'd imagine it is always going to be tricky to know how sound will react and it will react very differently when the room is empty or crowded.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                              ++
                                                                              That was amazing, can't think of a better transfer to screen of a much loved book. I haven't read any reviews yet but I wonder how well it worked for people who haven't read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                Two and a half glorious hours. Watch it on as big screen as you can. What a great show.

Comment

++
                                                                                  That was amazing, can't think of a better transfer to screen of a much loved book. I haven't read any reviews yet but I wonder how well it worked for people who haven't read it.
                                                                                  Bought book #1 after reading this. Will I need to read the complete saga before watching the movie?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Bought book #1 after reading this. Will I need to read the complete saga before watching the movie?
                                                                                    I've had it on my maybe read one day list and wondering about that also. Will I spoil a future read?

Wheel of Time also on there. Not sure if I could sign up for the long haul for that one. Think I only have one high fantasy epic in me.

Comment

This is why they made them in to movies..to take these hard decisions away from you !
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Public service announcement:

DO NOT START READING THE WHEEL OF TIME

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Got the final numbers from my solicitor for their fees to the other side as they have to give them to you, can confirm that they are well paid haha.
                                                                                          Getting back a few grand in medical fees but can see that 12k was spent on medicals between the two sides. Two people were 2.2k each for giving a standardized test, handy job! Don't think payouts dropping will be as big as impact as people think.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                          Public service announcement:

DO NOT START READING THE WHEEL OF TIME

UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
                                                                                          I was given the first book and it's sitting in my drawer hmm. Heard it was good but gets worse over time.

Comment

Are you planning a kitchen now without taking down the wall? A galley kitchen is hard to pull off. Even harder when the doors are off centre in a small kitchen.
                                                                                            Knock the wall and you'll have a bit to work with. The wall might not be structural btw.

Painting while its empty isn't a bad idea. If you are going to do carpet would be a lot easier to do it pre move. At least for the upstairs as that's not going to see major changes to layout.

Comment

Took me about a year to read Dune. Although that was back in college, when there was little time for anything other than drinking and pizza. Remember it being spectacular but also a bit of a tough read. Was really hard to stay interested in it. I'd just watch the movie tbh.

Comment

This film only goes halfway into the first book Dune

I don't know that you need to read it first might even improve the reading experience.
                                                                                                Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-10-21, 13:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

Are you planning a kitchen now without taking down the wall? A galley kitchen is hard to pull off. Even harder when the doors are off centre in a small kitchen.
                                                                                                  Knock the wall and you'll have a bit to work with. The wall might not be structural btw.

Painting while its empty isn't a bad idea. If you are going to do carpet would be a lot easier to do it pre move. At least for the upstairs as that's not going to see major changes to layout.
                                                                                                  Yeah. We're a bit undecided on this, but think the current kitchen is too bad (see image below), so we'll just take everything out, get new equipment as its all very old at the moment - ancient really - that's the main cost, and then IKEA the furniture, so its no bother or lost money if we eventually expand the space, as IKEA is all modular anyway. Thats the thinking in any case, whether or not its well thought through.

The kitchen space is the big problem. Its 2.44m long and 2.1m wide. So - the thinking is 4 x 60cm standard square blocks on the outer wall side - cooker, sink, dishwasher, storage. Some wall stuff there also along with the extractor. Then on the other wall we have 40cm wide storage stuff bottom and top, for three 60cm length blocks, and a mini counter in between the top and bottom. Has to be less wide to leave space to walk about the kitchen, and shorter length to allow using the interior and exterior door (both open outwards).

Washing machine and dryer in a small outhouse. Fridge just outside the kitchen in a space under the stairs. I'm not really sure about the practicality of the fridge thing, someone said it was a good idea. To remove the kitchen door. Free up and open up the current storage space under the stairs and pop the fridge in there. Use a painting or floor tiling scheme to give the appearance that the kitchen and the under-stairs fridge are all part of the same scheme.

I'm really just pointing out the details in case there's something obviously wrong with the plan and you can stop me in my tracks!!

SPOILER
                                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-10-21, 13:10.

Comment

The movie is only the first half of the first book, so 200 pages or so. I read the book in a few days but feel you'll have less free time.
                                                                                                    I'd read some anyway to get more familiar but it isn't necessary, make sure to catch this in the cinema rather than at home.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I've had it on my maybe read one day list and wondering about that also. Will I spoil a future read?

Wheel of Time also on there. Not sure if I could sign up for the long haul for that one. Think I only have one high fantasy epic in me.
                                                                                                      Well you'll know the story but the film and book are very different beasts. The book is nearly all internal dialogue, which you can't do in a film, so there is much more to the reading experience. The film however will be a great visual/auditory spectacle and well worth watching even if you've not read.

Comment

++
                                                                                                        tix booked for thursday. i've read the book countless times, i'm so excited!!!!!

Comment

Don't remove the kitchen door unless you want the rest of the house to smell of cooking.

Comment

Yeah. We're a bit undecided on this, but think the current kitchen is too bad (see image below), so we'll just take everything out, get new equipment as its all very old at the moment - ancient really - that's the main cost, and then IKEA the furniture, so its no bother or lost money if we eventually expand the space, as IKEA is all modular anyway. Thats the thinking in any case, whether or not its well thought through.

The kitchen space is the big problem. Its 2.44m long and 2.1m wide. So - the thinking is 4 x 60cm standard square blocks on the outer wall side - cooker, sink, dishwasher, storage. Some wall stuff there also along with the extractor. Then on the other wall we have 40cm wide storage stuff bottom and top, for three 60cm length blocks, and a mini counter in between the top and bottom. Has to be less wide to leave space to walk about the kitchen, and shorter length to allow using the interior and exterior door (both open outwards).

Washing machine and dryer in a small outhouse. Fridge just outside the kitchen in a space under the stairs. I'm not really sure about the practicality of the fridge thing, someone said it was a good idea. To remove the kitchen door. Free up and open up the current storage space under the stairs and pop the fridge in there. Use a painting or floor tiling scheme to give the appearance that the kitchen and the under-stairs fridge are all part of the same scheme.

I'm really just pointing out the details in case there's something obviously wrong with the plan and you can stop me in my tracks!!

SPOILER
                                                                                                            Hi

if u want to get someone to look over your design before u press the button let me know
                                                                                                            I can ask the brother in law or one if his team

Comment

Have you considered selling the house and buying a new one with a working kitchen? It might have actually gone up in value anyway. My sister is selling a house in Wicklow with a large kitchen.

Comment

Rented bikes and cycled all over Copenhagen today. Like being in some celestial dream-city for cyclists.

Lots of this:
                                                                                                                17563586811_7bfa313059_z.jpg
                                                                                                                and this amazing bridge:
                                                                                                                224657_Lille-Langebro_Giuseppe-Liverino-5.jpg?width=610&height=343&mode=crop.jpg

Comment

Took the 12 and 14 y/o to Christiana as part of the tour. Think their eyeballs may still be on the pavement back there.

"Dad, what's that smell?"
                                                                                                                  "That's the smell of some powerful skunk honey."

"Dad, can we take photos?"
                                                                                                                  "No son, I don't think the drug dealers appreciate that."

In all seriousness, it looked very touristed nowadays and the drug dealers looked a lot more professional than when I was last there 20 years ago. Not quite the romantic hippie paradise of yesteryear.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                    I was given the first book and it's sitting in my drawer hmm. Heard it was good but gets worse over time.
                                                                                                                    The first book is amazing. 2-4 are brilliant (with some annoyances). Books 5-9 are either a huge pile of all the things you hated about books 2-4, or pages and pages and pages of nothing fucking happening. I quit then. Apparently it gets wrapped up nicely once the author died and Brandon Sanderson took over, but I'm very happy with my decision to pretend book 9 was the end of it. It broke my heart at the time. I'd say the GTO play would be to read 1-4 and pretend it was cancelled.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 25-10-21, 16:34.
                                                                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Quiz night special

Comment

Tesla worth a mere trillion dollars https://www.ft.com/content/4eb7504e-...d-807aa159b282

Comment

Rented bikes and cycled all over Copenhagen today. Like being in some celestial dream-city for cyclists.

Lots of this:
                                                                                                                          SPOILER
                                                                                                                          Used to essentially live in Amsterdam when my ex was doing a masters there and it's still hard to believe how amazing they have it every day with cycling. Absolutely loved it every day.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X