Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The covid really is an unfathomable thing. Here we are, with 90%+ vaxxed, and rates\hospitalisations spiking alarmingly and the US, where large swathes of the population refuse vaxxing and any forms of restriction, it's falling rapidly.

Covid >>>> humans
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Sisters partner has MS, is in a real bad way with it, he would be very vulnerable in a sort of assisted living community. Turns out last week that they are told first that there is a case on site then that there are 'some' front line workers who interact with patients that are not vaccinated but GDPR etc. and no indication of why they aren't. At that stage he was testing negative after another few days the case is upgraded to 'an outbreak' there is still no indication if it's amongst patients or staff. Last night he tested positive so far he's not showing any major symptoms beyond the litany he has to put up with to get through any given day. He's survived worse hopefully he'll get through this too.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

To not be vaccinated as a front line worker with immune deficient patients should be jail worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
          I asked the waiter to capture a photo for posterity
          SPOILER

More like this pair IMO

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            To not be vaccinated as a front line worker with immune deficient patients should be jail worthy.
            This is where jbravados argument falls down. They should not be allowed work in that role. It's not draconian nor Orwellian. It's a public service to keep them the fk away from patients .

Comment

You should be sacked. Full stop, no excuses, no bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

This is where jbravados argument falls down. They should not be allowed work in that role. It's not draconian nor Orwellian. It's a public service to keep them the fk away from patients .
                jbravado never had an 'argument'.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You should be sacked. Full stop, no excuses, no bullshit.
                  I dont see how they can be sacked. The company has to make the decision for them to remove the risk. If they dont you cant sack them So unvaccinated cant work on the frontline has to be the rule.

Comment

I dont see how they can be sacked.
                    why not?

It's such a fundamental breach of your role, it should be auto-sacking imo

Comment

why not?

Well the point is. If your boss doesnt demand it. You cant be sacked.

If you are required then you should.

My point is , it has to be mandated . If it's not you cant sack them.

What am I missing here ?

Comment

I don't get the Irish bank business model. Since opening an account with AIB, I've:

1. Sent all day-to-day money to Revolut, as they charge per transaction, So Revolut gets all my data for future upselling.

2. Taken out the mortgage with whatever company the broker said, as all the main banks have made mortgages so complicated that its easier to go through a broker. €160,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

3. Taken out the car loan with whatever company the car warehouse said, as the car company promised to issue the loan in an hour, which they did. €5,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

4. Taken out the home improvement loan with the credit union, as they allow flexible repaying - no hassle over paying off lump sums. €8,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

5. I've now tried to open a joint savings account with them to keep the home improvement loan, and after an hour waiting on the phone they are suggesting it might be a few weeks before they can see us to open the account. So we'll probably just use an old KBC account.

How are they still in business? I realise they are reaping some older client money, but my money was all there for the taking. €200,000 of interest-earning opportunity, and they just shrug. Doesn't bother me. I'm just perplexed what their long-term plan is. In France, your personal bank provided everything, built up a nice personal touch, and made a fortune out of it. It doesn't seem all that complicated?
                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

What am I missing here ?
                          you're not missing anything - it should be mandated and anyone who refuses should be sacked

Comment

What am I missing here ?
                            Thats maybe a very unionised view. There's surely an element of cop on expected here by well educated care professionals to know by themselves to take these types of precautions. I do realise there is a cultural thing, that needs to be considered though. That a lot of African health care workers in the UK, for example, have significant vaccine hesitancy caused by historic experiments with medicines on African populations by colonial powers.

Comment

What's the problem if the patient is vaccinated?

You can spread the virus if you are infected. Maybe you should call for the incarceration of front line workers, irrespective of their vaccination status, who show up to work knowing that that are symptomatic.
                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unvaccinated people have higher viral loads. Getting covid from an infected vaccinated person isn't the same.

Comment

why not?

That's one of your patented ultra-simplistic ideas with no effort made to understand all the potential problems?

You can't just sack someone if doing so would be put you in breach of employment law, so there'd be controversial legislation there that would need to get through the Dail (with the AG having first verified that it's not in contravention of the constitution).

And then there's the high risk of an unintended consequence that it doesn't end up with SPs brother-in-law having some reluctantly vaccinated workers in his assisted living community - instead it ends up with such a dangerous shortage of workers that his care is even more compromised.
                                  It looks like a 'thread carefully' situation to me.

Comment

Interesting AJ is choosing to become a pseudo-attorney-general in preference to defending the comedic abilities of deirdre o kane.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

That's one of your patented ultra-simplistic ideas with no effort made to understand all the potential problems?

You can't just sack someone if doing so would be put you in breach of employment law, so there'd be controversial legislation there that would need to get through the Dail (with the AG having first verified that it's not in contravention of the constitution).

And then there's the high risk of an unintended consequence that it doesn't end up with SPs brother-in-law having some reluctantly vaccinated workers in his assisted living community - instead it ends up with such a dangerous shortage of workers that his care is even more compromised.
                                      As HH points out, this is indicative of a trade union mindset where people literally can't face the seriousness of what's in front of them without resorting to petty bureaucracy whataboutery argumentation

Bad News: we have an emergency situation. Good News: we have something that makes patients and staff much, much safer.
                                      For those staff, this should not be treated as something optional - it's fundamental to their role and the duty of care they have to their patients.
                                      Do whatever it takes to ensure that all staff must be vaccinated, enforce it under threat of career-ending consequences and do it now.

It's already been done in other countries. We should follow suit.

Comment

Unvaccinated people have higher viral loads. Getting covid from an infected vaccinated person isn't the same.
                                        Fake news.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Interesting AJ is choosing to become a pseudo-attorney-general in preference to defending the comedic abilities of deirdre o kane.
                                          I genuinely don't know who Deirdre O'Kane is. I googled her and I'm still none the wiser. I'll check the next episode.
                                          In fairness I only defended the UK panel show regulars in response to PSVs abrupt dismissal of them as 'uniformly rubbish' or such like.
                                          But if it's a genre he doesn't like then so be it.

Comment

I did like Dice's idea of restricting entry to hospitals to those that have a vaccine cert though.

Comment

HH and Raoul missing a point deliberately? If not I am getting scared as I thought these boys had cop on? It's a straightforward point. .

Comment

As HH points out, this is indicative of a trade union mindset where people literally can't face the seriousness of what's in front of them without resorting to petty bureaucracy whataboutery argumentation

Bad News: we have an emergency situation. Good News: we have something that makes patients and staff much, much safer.
                                                For those staff, this should not be treated as something optional - it's fundamental to their role and the duty of care they have to their patients.
                                                Do whatever it takes to ensure that all staff must be vaccinated, enforce it under threat of career-ending consequences and do it now.

It's already been done in other countries. We should follow suit.
                                                We are broadly in agreement in that I think everyone should be vaccinated, especially in health service roles.
                                                But I don't see how you can dismiss the fact that it would need legislation (that doesn't contravene our constitution) as "petty bureaucracy whataboutery argumentation".
                                                It may be an inconvenient hurdle, but it still needs to be jumped.
                                                Other countries could do it because they don't have all our checks and balances.

Comment

We are broadly in agreement in that I think everyone should be vaccinated, especially in health service roles.
                                                  But I don't see how you can dismiss the fact that it would need legislation (that doesn't contravene our constitution) as "petty bureaucracy whataboutery argumentation".
                                                  It may be an inconvenient hurdle, but it still needs to be jumped.
                                                  Other countries could do it because they don't have all our checks and balances.
                                                  Great - get it done. Stop talking about it like it's something insurmountable and just do it.

Comment

In other news , the flu season is going to cause pandemonium when we are back open. The basic cold etc will floor us A winter of discontent upcoming.

Comment

In happier news, Ireland are in great shape against the Netherlands in what is very much a 'must-win' World Cup opener.

Comment

I genuinely don't know who Deirdre O'Kane is. I googled her and I'm still none the wiser. I'll check the next episode.
                                                        In fairness I only defended the UK panel show regulars in response to PSVs abrupt dismissal of them as 'uniformly rubbish' or such like.
                                                        But if it's a genre he doesn't like then so be it.
                                                        Was she the one in Paths to Freedom? Love the UK panel show regulars personally. Acaster, Greg Davies, etc. Top comedy.

Comment

Cracking start for us in the t20 world cup, keeping Netherlands to a meagre 106 from their 20 overs.
                                                          One of our bowlers took 4 wickets in 4 balls - not even sure what that's called (ultra hat-trick maybe?)

Comment

With all the Supply Chain issues worldwide. This year I'm doing my Christmas Shopping early on Dec 23rd . ( not me , not me )

Comment

I don't get the Irish bank business model. Since opening an account with AIB, I've:

1. Sent all day-to-day money to Revolut, as they charge per transaction, So Revolut gets all my data for future upselling.

2. Taken out the mortgage with whatever company the broker said, as all the main banks have made mortgages so complicated that its easier to go through a broker. €160,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

3. Taken out the car loan with whatever company the car warehouse said, as the car company promised to issue the loan in an hour, which they did. €5,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

4. Taken out the home improvement loan with the credit union, as they allow flexible repaying - no hassle over paying off lump sums. €8,000 interest-earning opportunity forgone.

5. I've now tried to open a joint savings account with them to keep the home improvement loan, and after an hour waiting on the phone they are suggesting it might be a few weeks before they can see us to open the account. So we'll probably just use an old KBC account.

How are they still in business? I realise they are reaping some older client money, but my money was all there for the taking. €200,000 of interest-earning opportunity, and they just shrug. Doesn't bother me. I'm just perplexed what their long-term plan is. In France, your personal bank provided everything, built up a nice personal touch, and made a fortune out of it. It doesn't seem all that complicated?
                                                              They in fact suggested a date of the 26th of November before they could open a joint savings account.

Comment

So farewell then Colin Powell, an illustrious career fatally wounded by standing in front of the UN and arguing that a satellite picture he surely knew showed nothing of the kind, in fact contained weapons of mass destruction. It didn't. And resulted in 100,000 violent deaths and hundreds of thousands of extra unnecessary deaths, as well as heralding the rise of mistruth as politics.

Comment

In other news , the flu season is going to cause pandemonium when we are back open. The basic cold etc will floor us A winter of discontent upcoming.
                                                                  Already feeling the effects of it. Smothered with a head cold all weekend. Poxy time for it to happen, supposed to be going to liverpool at the weekend so it would want to feck off sharpish

Comment

Cracking start for us in the t20 world cup, keeping Netherlands to a meagre 106 from their 20 overs.
                                                                    One of our bowlers took 4 wickets in 4 balls - not even sure what that's called (ultra hat-trick maybe?)
                                                                    Absolute (and unexpected) cakewalk there. Puts us in a great position.

Comment

So farewell then Colin Powell, an illustrious career fatally wounded by standing in front of the UN and arguing that a satellite picture he surely knew showed nothing of the kind, in fact contained weapons of mass destruction. It didn't. And resulted in 100,000 violent deaths and hundreds of thousands of extra unnecessary deaths, as well as heralding the rise of mistruth as politics.
                                                                      He wasn't far wrong!

He mournfully predicted to others that his obituary’s first paragraph would include his authorship of the U.N. speech.

Comment

Lest we forget his amazing drumming

Comment

What was the thing the "Colon Powell" as opposed to Colin as in Colin Farrell?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Fake news.
                                                                            My basic understanding is viral loads are similar alright, but last less in vaccinated folk, not taking from your point at all, it is a stat thrown about thats factually incorrect.

Adults who have been fully vaccinated against SARS-CoV-2 can carry the same viral load of the delta variant as those who are unvaccinated, a preliminary analysis of UK data suggests.1 The latest results from the UK’s national covid-19 infection survey show that having two vaccine doses remains the most effective way to ensure protection against delta. But, although people who are fully vaccinated have a lower risk of becoming infected, those infected with the delta variant can carry similar virus levels as unvaccinated people, the data show. The authors said the implications for transmission were not yet clear but suggested that the potential for fully vaccinated individuals to transmit the virus to others would make achieving herd immunity more of a challenge. Sarah Walker, professor of medical statistics and epidemiology at the University of Oxford and chief investigator of the survey, said, “We don’t yet know how much transmission can happen from people …
                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                              What was the thing the "Colon Powell" as opposed to Colin as in Colin Farrell?
                                                                              Just seemed to be a thing with his name. How you turn an 'i' into an 'o' and especially with that word, I have no idea.

Comment

In a highly personalised care situation he was told (a bit late in the day) that he can choose to refuse to have unvaccinated people come in to him. Very unfair to put it on him, it's a not for profit where uthe staff are union and have got themselves parity with the HSE and at the same time the management seem to be a special kind of useless.

Whole sector is already chronically short of labour, demand is enormous and no one wants to do the work.

Comment

Just seemed to be a thing with his name. How you turn an 'i' into an 'o' and especially with that word, I have no idea.
                                                                                  They called him 'Coal In' rather than Colon

Comment

Yep. I heard it on the news in the car and the first thought I had was "Traitor to the army he was a part of".

Comment

Was she the one in Paths to Freedom?

Yup, that was her. It was the first time I came across her in anything. She was hot back then. She's getting on a little now but I still would, once she didn't try make me laugh as that would totally kill the mood

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

In a highly personalised care situation he was told (a bit late in the day) that he can choose to refuse to have unvaccinated people come in to him. Very unfair to put it on him, it's a not for profit where uthe staff are union and have got themselves parity with the HSE and at the same time the management seem to be a special kind of useless.

Whole sector is already chronically short of labour, demand is enormous and no one wants to do the work.
                                                                                        That is a pretty ridiculous level of arse covering.
                                                                                        Refuse with the caveat that you might not get the level of care requred or don't refuse so we can wash our hands ( ) of dealing with unvaccinated staff.

As an aside, I cannot believe the sexual abuse story in donegal care home isn't much bigger
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Is this confirmed? Following it all less and less these days but are we not consistently told we call all transmit the same?
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Talking to my mum yesterday and she was saying she is paying €65 a month on her mobile and unknown high amounts on her satellite - as the people from sky had offered her movies for a bit extra a month which would 'be nice for the grandkids when they call around at christmas'. I said in a nice way that she could get the same phone service for a tenner a month and that the kids go through their lives with personalised youtube algorithms that are finely tuned to their needs and desires, and paying a monthly fee for Christmas movies didn't make sense anyway.

Now my mum may have touched 70 years, but she works full time in a mentally taxing job, so is no light touch, but still she feels nervous around these types of financial decisions, and the companies know it. It seems to me that ringing up and offering such obviously bad services is something that needs to be regulated. I know a few on here (lao lao?) were saying how their somewhat more infirm parents were taken advantage of also, which verges on a crime imo. Not even the money itself, just the attitude, that these scumbag companies take.

Comment

Talking to my mum yesterday and she was saying she is paying €65 a month on her mobile and unknown high amounts on her satellite - as the people from sky had offered her movies for a bit extra a month which would 'be nice for the grandkids when they call around at christmas'. I said in a nice way that she could get the same phone service for a tenner a month and that the kids go through their lives with personalised youtube algorithms that are finely tuned to their needs and desires, and paying a monthly fee for Christmas movies didn't make sense anyway.

Now my mum may have touched 70 years, but she works full time in a mentally taxing job, so is no light touch, but still she feels nervous around these types of financial decisions, and the companies know it. It seems to me that ringing up and offering such obviously bad services is something that needs to be regulated. I know a few on here (lao lao?) were saying how their somewhat more infirm parents were taken advantage of also, which verges on a crime imo. Not even the money itself, just the attitude, that these scumbag companies take.
                                                                                                They didn't exactly beat her over the head, tie her to a chair and force her to sign contracts.

Comment

Yeah, happened with my Dad, where 3 had him on a tariff that no longer existed which was a tiny amount of minutes/texts for a stupid price. Can't remember the exact details but think I increased his free minutes/texts by 2.5 times what he originally had for a lower price. The new allowance meant he would never go over it and so had a set bill each month whereas before, he was constantly going over it and then being hammered on the cost of all additional calls and texts. Initially, there response was, "nothing we can do, he's in a contract" until I told them that whoever signed him up to a tariff that no longer exists took advantage of an elderly person and I wasn't going to let it go. Then all of a sudden, things could be done and there was almost €100 quid credit added to his account as a way of an apology.

Comment

Made a point of visiting Meerlust on South Africa trip a few years back.
                                                                                                    Was hanging like a bat from the previous days gluttony in Spier but was still a holiday highlight. Got to try numerous vintages, picked out enough bottles, branded glasses, corkscrews to fill the 2nd suitcase I had booked for this booze run.
                                                                                                    Fecking credit card company security dept declined my card, so had to slink away drunk and shame faced, then return again to cough up the loots. Ended up saving the grand total of about 20 quid vs just buying the feckin stuff at home.
                                                                                                    Yer man from Meerlust is in Dublin occasionally for wine evenings, they are usually a fab night anyway no matter who the producer is.
                                                                                                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

There is actually guidlines set up by the FCA, in the uk at least, about dealing with vunerable customers.
                                                                                                      You'd think a big crowd like SKY would have to have that box ticked somewhere and making a complaint to them about it would be dealt with quickly
                                                                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Are people still using kodi? I'm not sure if I've just been unlucky in the couple of things I've tried to stream, or if I need to get new apps (have exodus/covenant/something else)

Comment

Are people still using kodi? I'm not sure if I've just been unlucky in the couple of things I've tried to stream, or if I need to get new apps (have exodus/covenant/something else)
                                                                                                          Been using Plex lately and find it great

Comment

@golf nerds

I went to get a full bag fitting over the last two weekends.

Was a very interesting process.

Irons, Wedges, Woods and Hybrids, Driver, Putter.

Putter - was fine, although the pull I sometimes have is partly due to putter head weight. The new Ping Answer was suggested but fitter said no real need to spend money.

Wedges - no conclusion on this, tested a lot but going to wait til spring to go again in real turf conditions.

Irons - my AP2s are right bang in the middle of the performance metrics the fitter wanted, we tried every Iron set imaginable from Mizzies to Taylormade to the new sex Pings and ultimately, the t100 and T100s (which are the newer version of my AP2s were what came out on top). The t100s and is heavy 2degree loft gave me an extra club per club which is great but dunno if I can justify it. I did notice a big fi

Woods - settled on the new tsi3 hybrid, and will go back again for a 3w fitting.

Driver - don't need a new one, my driver sits right in the carry, total, spin areas we want for my swing speed. The Sim2 spun at 1000 rpm more than my current, consistently which was very interesting.

I expected to leave there having been convinced to spend cash but kudos to fitter for being totally honest.

Did a full bag gapping too (these are with my current AP2 and are mean values):

SW - 98 carry, 103 total.
                                                                                                            GW - 110 carry, 115 total.
                                                                                                            PW - 125 carry, 130 total.
                                                                                                            9i 139 carry, 145 total.
                                                                                                            8i 155 carry, 163 total.
                                                                                                            7i 166 carry, 173 total.
                                                                                                            6i 175 carry, 184 total.
                                                                                                            5i 184 carry, 193 total.
                                                                                                            4i 195 carry, 205 total.
                                                                                                            3h 225 carry, 235 total.
                                                                                                            3w (don't have one currently).
                                                                                                            Driver 260 carry, 285 total.

So some goofy gapping between PW-9i, and 4i upwards. The project X rifle shaft he gave me brought everything much more in line and uniform so I might go that direction, or I might just treat myself and get the T100s's.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Havent been watching much lately but anything I have the Cinema hd app on fire stick or android box has worked perfectly
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

They didn't exactly beat her over the head, tie her to a chair and force her to sign contracts.
                                                                                                                Oh I dunno, you know what SatNavs like with a monthly target to hit!!

Comment

EIIS email from Lough Mask Distillery (never heard of them). think someone was looking for something similar before.
                                                                                                                  The Opportunity
                                                                                                                  • We are offering investors the opportunity to buy shares in an artisanal micro-distillery in the heart of the Mayo Gaeltacht of
                                                                                                                  Tourmakeady, on the shores of Lough Mask.
                                                                                                                  • We are selling 30% of the company and are seeking to raise €300,000 from this equity release. The money will be used to invest
                                                                                                                  in growing our business.
                                                                                                                  • Investors can invest a minimum of €1,000. All tax-paying Irish investors can claim 40% of their investment back as a tax rebate.
                                                                                                                  • The share offer is now open and will close on the 26th of November, or sooner if the offer is over-subscribed.
                                                                                                                  Always a bit dodgy when they put this as the first reason.
                                                                                                                  Why Invest?
                                                                                                                  • Avail of a unique tax relief scheme for Irish taxpayers.
                                                                                                                  "sure you can only lose 60% of your money"
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-10-21, 20:22.

Comment

I was back in that multi million euro gaff in Mount Merrion again today.

When I got there the woman was checking her lotto ticket.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

It's DIY Monday. Answer me this if you don't mind - why doesn't everyone switch over to those new plugs that also have USB slots in them? Is it just their newness or that they have shortcomings?

Comment

LinkedIn- how hard is it to keep respect for someone who takes it seriously? Don’t have an account but coming under some pressure at work to sign up for no good reason- only reason I can see to sign up is the handy screening info it can provide when hiring - ie anyone who likes a group titles “when you’re the best candidate but gets passed over” gets their cv instabinned?
                                                                                                                        Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

It's DIY Monday. Answer me this if you don't mind - why doesn't everyone switch over to those new plugs that also have USB slots in them? Is it just their newness or that they have shortcomings?
                                                                                                                          I replaced a socket last year with one, cost 3x a standard socket and the USB stopped working after a short time, maybe someday I'll get around to trying to fix it... but I doubt that there's any chance I'd be able to do anything about it. Mains socket works grand

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X