This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Have to cancel Mr Fox tonight as babysitter has to go for a covid test. Cancellation fee of €61 per person. Well done to all the fuckwads who made it socially acceptable for restaurants to do that.

We have an endless stream of hot 20-somethings-in-your-area on call as babysitters.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Not sure how I feel about Aishling B. Dont find her that amusing but she is cute so my laughing is guided by that dirty place where all da wimmins are judged . Sue me wokeys. Really is a boring ol crop of mainstream comedians these days . The US winning in this regard .
      Would be first to admit that I wasn't a big fan. However she put a in great performance along with Sharon Horgan in This Way Up. A better actress than comedian for me. Also can't believe that Sharon Horgan is 51.

Comment

Not sure how I feel about Aishling B. Dont find her that amusing but she is cute so my laughing is guided by that dirty place where all da wimmins are judged . Sue me wokeys. Really is a boring ol crop of mainstream comedians these days . The US winning in this regard .
        I can't see her and not think of her car crash appearance on Bert Kreisher's podcast. Here she is biting off a fingernail and dropping it on his floor

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          How does the Revolut sign up bonus work? Does the new account need to lodge funds?

Group of people in work do a lotto syndicate when the jackpot is big. Could probably generate about €600 from Revolut by getting people signed up.

Intention is to plough it into the lotto, not my back pocket.
          As an aside, heads up for users, i never took any notice of the rewards section on Revolut, but i had a 20% off Tesco, some get 15,10 or 5, seems to be random...anyways, it works for booze and even though it says its limited to €30 per transaction i spent 180 yesterday and got 36 back yesterday evening.
          This too shall pass.

Comment

Speaking of booze, stopped drinking Oct 1, fairly dramatic affect on resting heart rate. Fear not though, Nov 1 im back on it...for science...

Screenshot-20211014-212817.png
            This too shall pass.

Comment

Really dislike Aisling Bea. Glad it's not just me.
              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                Speaking of booze, stopped drinking Oct 1, fairly dramatic affect on resting heart rate. Fear not though, Nov 1 im back on it...for science...

Screenshot-20211014-212817.png
                I had the exact same. Dropped 12 bpm when I cut out the regular boozing.
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                  How does the Revolut sign up bonus work? Does the new account need to lodge funds?

Group of people in work do a lotto syndicate when the jackpot is big. Could probably generate about €600 from Revolut by getting people signed up.

Intention is to plough it into the lotto, not my back pocket.
                  Send them your referral code.

They sign up
                  Verify their account
                  Order a card
                  Make 3 transactions worth at least a fiver each (can be done wity a virtual card before the actual card arrives)
                  Money will hit your account

There is a time limit on it that they will have to do it in so be mindful of that if any of them aren't 100% on the aul technology

Comment

We have sadly exhausted all the hot somethings in the area, or maybe they have better Friday night options

Comment

Really dislike Aisling Bea. Glad it's not just me.
                      I dont dislike her at all. She can flick her nails at me any time. Just not very funny tis all. However as pointed out , not many of the higher wit around these days. Had great hope's for Andyfatbastard. Hoping to see him on the celebrity Chase

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

I been a a redic bad mood all week. Hope it was obviously more about me than any poster. Though I do have huge a problem with people over 25 having beards that I'm working on.
                        Now I'm offended

Comment

€62 menu and €61 cancellation fee, savings to be had.

Comment

I enjoyed This Way Up.
                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

holy fucking shit. That's good
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I watched Rosemarys baby last night, absolutely fantastic.

Comment

From that Era . The Devil Rides out , The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby were my favs. I liked the Omen. I didnt realise then it was about Trump

Comment

I dont dislike her at all. She can flick her nails at me any time. Just not very funny tis all. However as pointed out , not many of the higher wit around these days. Had great hope's for Andyfatbastard. Hoping to see him on the celebrity Chase
                                    All her jokes seem to be about men - men this, men that. Its the righteous equivalent of those 1950s British working men club comedians talking about their wife. Surely comedy has evolved past dividing the population in two and laughing at half.

Comment

The worst thing about that Home Alone trailer is Aisling Beas brutal attempt at a British accent. And that's saying something cos the trailer is a fucking car crash.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                        I watched Rosemarys baby last night, absolutely fantastic.]
                                        Are you not a bit too woke to be enjoying Polanski

Genuinely confused if we are allowed enjoy his work anymore? It's a great movie and he was really churning out classics in those days Chinatown being the greatest of them all.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

What is everyone doing about the 2022 LPT valuations? Just noticed that I need to submit a valuation by Nov and my current assessed value is ~40% of the actual market value.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Aisling could do very well out of the Home Alone remake no matter how ill conceived or bad it turns out to be. Good luck to her she works very hard and as has been said she's a much better actress than comedian so it would be great to see her do well.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              What is everyone doing about the 2022 LPT valuations? Just noticed that I need to submit a valuation by Nov and my current assessed value is ~40% of the actual market value.
                                              Pray you don't have mica.

Will be interesting to see how the homes of Donegal are revalued this time around

Comment

Wife doing my head in as extension probably sticks us up another bracket but wont be finished before has to be submitted

Comment

Got stung by a wasp (or bee) in the back of my head while on my morning walk. Still quite painful 30 minutes later.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Wife doing my head in as extension probably sticks us up another bracket but wont be finished before has to be submitted
                                                    Actually I just looked on the Revenue website. They seem to have already revalued it (to the correct bracket) by several hundred k upwards but the actual LPT only goes up by less than a hundred quid.

So not really worth considering I guess. And SF are going to abolish it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                      Aisling could do very well out of the Home Alone remake no matter how ill conceived or bad it turns out to be. Good luck to her she works very hard and as has been said she's a much better actress than comedian so it would be great to see her do well.
                                                      I believe everyone is now called an actor - not actor for men and actress for female. Yeah, shes a strong actor.

Comment

€16 or so p/m direct debit
                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Got stung by a wasp (or bee) in the back of my head while on my morning walk. Still quite painful 30 minutes later.
                                                          Pray for Lao Lao

Comment

Will be interesting to see how the homes of Donegal are revalued this time around
                                                            Firing it up on Spotify now . I cant read those words without the ear worm .

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                              The worst thing about that Home Alone trailer is Aisling Beas brutal attempt at a British accent. And that's saying something cos the trailer is a fucking car crash.
                                                              I prefer that fat kid to Culckin though. Anyway isnt Home Alone meant to be a car crash.

Comment

Firing it up on Spotify now . I cant read those words without the ear worm .
                                                                Gotta go for this amazing version

Comment

Are you not a bit too woke to be enjoying Polanski

Genuinely confused if we are allowed enjoy his work anymore? It's a great movie and he was really churning out classics in those days Chinatown being the greatest of them all.
                                                                  I found it pretty funny that the head devil worshiper was called Roman!

I wouldn't avoid a film because one person involved in it (admittedly heavily involved!) turned out to be a bad dude. If someone else chose not to film for that reason I'd have no issue with that either.

Comment

I thought she was doing quite well before this tbh. That Nerflix thing she was in with Paul Rudd was a decent watch and in comparison this Home alone thing seems like a step backwards.

I didn't know she was supposed to be a comedian, just assumed she was an actress but always nice to see Irish people going well.

Comment

I prefer that fat kid to Culckin though. Anyway isnt Home Alone meant to be a car crash.
                                                                      Nah, car crash is a term for a really awful film or TV show. The original is a classic that people still watch every Christmas. This has been tried before with a different kid actor in home alone 3 and 4 and didnt work.

Comment

Moot as Mica homes are exempt. I know a few people directly involved in thus and it’s an absolute travesty for them. 90% mortgage doesn’t go away, you have to keep paying mortgage and new rents while it’s knocked, cost of testing and rebuild. It’s a disgrace.

Comment

Gotta go for this amazing version

That must be Leinster Irish as I don’t understand a word of it

Comment

Have to cancel Mr Fox tonight as babysitter has to go for a covid test. Cancellation fee of €61 per person. Well done to all the fuckwads who made it socially acceptable for restaurants to do that.
                                                                            DM sent

Comment

This is my kind of donegal music, could listen to her all day

Comment

Are ye following The White Lotus btw? Such a weirdass slightly captivating show. (not a recommendation).
                                                                                Best show I've seen all year. Such brilliant writing and acting.
                                                                                I approve.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Best show I've seen all year. Such brilliant writing and acting.
                                                                                  I approve.
                                                                                  Monk updates plz

Comment

Watching the snooker in Belfast, Trump v Allen and a decent match fwiw, and the wearing of masks is optional. Yet you still have some numptys wearing them below the nose or hanging around their chins. Like why bother wearing it incorrectly when you have the choice to wear it and can just leave it off.

Comment

For the restaurant reservation: Found something to do to care for the eldest kid leaving only one problem child, and so I rang them and said - could I turn up with one extra small kid who you would barely even know he's there. He's almost charming, I pleaded. Lying through my teeth.

They said they couldn't as they are so busy they wouldn't even be sure of having an unused chair in the place. But also that they understood the problem of the babysitter cancelling and said 'its grand to cancel, we won't charge you or anything like that'.

I said 'no deal: you've been shut for 18 months, while I've been earning at home for all that time, so let me at least pay for one person's cover'.

We had some strenuous back and forth over this offer, which only ended when the lady insisted that not only would I not be paying, but also that she would insist on comping a bottle of wine when we eventually turned up at some point in the future. At this point, I decided to retreat with humble thank yous, for fear of bankrupting them in case she upped the stakes any further.
                                                                                      Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-10-21, 13:33.

Comment

Watching the snooker in Belfast, Trump v Allen and a decent match fwiw, and the wearing of masks is optional. Yet you still have some numptys wearing them below the nose or hanging around their chins. Like why bother wearing it incorrectly when you have the choice to wear it and can just leave it off.
                                                                                        Haha it's infuriating. I dont even care if someone is wearing a mask or not these days but when they can wear it right it still winds me up. Simplest of tasks
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Mad how accommodating businesses are when you contact them and tell them your issue instead of whinging about a cancellation fee you're not being charged.

The cancellation fee is aimed at silly cunts booking multiple places and deciding last minute which one to use. Yes this was more common than you think.

Genuine cases, like yours in this instance, will be looked after, as the restaurant has shown.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Haha it's infuriating. I dont even care if someone is wearing a mask or not these days but when they can wear it right it still winds me up. Simplest of tasks
                                                                                            Exactly, I've started going into less and less places with a mask on but if I wear it, I wear it properly. Always makes me laugh at the stupidity of having it hanging off your face. Even more so now that they've actually got the choice of whether to wear it or not.

Comment

They seem to be glossing over the career for the stabbed UK MP in their glowing coverage of him. His career, as per wiki, seems to actually have been a caricature of an awful person. Not that that means he should therefore be stabbed, of course.

Update: not just stabbed, but stabbed and killed.
                                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-10-21, 14:03.

Comment

Mad how accommodating businesses are when you contact them and tell them your issue instead of whinging about a cancellation fee you're not being charged.

The cancellation fee is aimed at silly cunts booking multiple places and deciding last minute which one to use. Yes this was more common than you think.

Genuine cases, like yours in this instance, will be looked after, as the restaurant has shown.
                                                                                                My point is still correct. We shouldn't hand over the power for this to restaurants. Never give any business more power over us. Its a simple effective rule for living life. We started paying deposits to rent houses only in the last three decades and now they are regularly and consistently abused. Its always like this - never give businesses power that you have in the relationship. Its a commercial contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodluck2me View Post

Moot as Mica homes are exempt. I know a few people directly involved in thus and it’s an absolute travesty for them. 90% mortgage doesn’t go away, you have to keep paying mortgage and new rents while it’s knocked, cost of testing and rebuild. It’s a disgrace.
                                                                                                  So, RDIII's idea of capping redress at the value declared for LPT isn't going to work.

My son who works in building technology had an interesting take on how to solve the problem at the least cost.
                                                                                                  Set up a state backed not for profit company to build and operate a factory in the Northwest to churn out prefabricated buildings to a minimal number of patterns 2, 3 and 4 beds and you could drive down costs on well designed high spec A rated buildings to less than half the commercial self builds would be. With Modern tech there would be lots of configuration options so its not anything like 'you can have any colour you like as long as it's black'. Site costs will vary obviously but it sounds like an interesting way of keeping the bill for the taxpayer down.

Comment

And also the point isn't quite right about deposits. I could ring up and be semi-charming about the thing and offer to pay for my kid to eat etc, because of being comfortable enough in that situation. But that's partially a social class thing. I don't mean that being semi-charming is a class thing - but more about being comfortable in that type of situation where there's a slight power relationship. Deposits are advocated by people who won't be inconvenienced by them, not the people who will be affected by them. Thats the used-to-be-called-working-class (don't know if its still called that?) who only go out for a meal rarely and don't have a thought on what the policy should be until it comes to bite them in the ass. And those people tend to be busier, to have more kids, more people they are caring for in a broader sense. So they've loads of extra reasons why they might need to cancel.

That was my original argument on deposits, and I think its quite a valid one.

Even if I've probably mangled the explanation here because of touching on the dodgy areas of social class. But we should be careful about advocating for policies that mainly affect other social classes.
                                                                                                    Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-10-21, 14:07.

Comment

For the restaurant reservation: Found something to do to care for the eldest kid leaving only one problem child, and so I rang them and said - could I turn up with one extra small kid who you would barely even know he's there. He's almost charming, I pleaded. Lying through my teeth.

They said they couldn't as they are so busy they wouldn't even be sure of having an unused chair in the place. But also that they understood the problem of the babysitter cancelling and said 'its grand to cancel, we won't charge you or anything like that'.

I said 'no deal: you've been shut for 18 months, while I've been earning at home for all that time, so let me at least pay for one person's cover'.

We had some strenuous back and forth over this offer, which only ended when the lady insisted that not only would I not be paying, but also that she would insist on comping a bottle of wine when we eventually turned up at some point in the future. At this point, I decided to retreat with humble thank yous, for fear of bankrupting them in case she upped the stakes any further.
                                                                                                      Told you , by bringing kids into the equation youve turned the tables . That will be 20 pounds sir .

Comment

Told you , by bringing kids into the equation youve turned the tables . That will be 20 pounds sir .
                                                                                                        Yes!

In classic academic fashion I'm now building from this experience towards a class-war explanation of restaurant deposit advocacy.

Comment

Yes!

In classic academic fashion I'm now building from this experience towards a class-war explanation of restaurant deposit advocacy.
                                                                                                          TWENTY POUNDS

Comment

TWENTY POUNDS
                                                                                                            I CANT HEAR YOU I'M READING KARL MARX

Comment

Got stung myself just there . Wont be offering HH any more advice.

Comment

Workplace return in doubt as Dr Ronan Glynn calls for people to keep working from home this autumn and winter if possible

I think we all copped to this way back in September anway. Well, anyone who has a choice in the matter. Looking around my workplace and I'd say most people are coming in one day a week. And even on that day, they are often in zoom meetings, as most meetings are now held in that format.

Comment

I got stung by a bee yesterday..........€20 for a jar of honey.

Comment

HrlVqyHl.jpg

Comment

I've just finished watching all 7 seasons of Mad Men again. My suspicions have confirmed that it is without any shadow of a doubt the best TV show ever made by a good way. A little upset that I'm done.

Don Draper Is Rosemary From Rosemary’s Baby

Comment

So, RDIII's idea of capping redress at the value declared for LPT isn't going to work.

My son who works in building technology had an interesting take on how to solve the problem at the least cost.
                                                                                                                        Set up a state backed not for profit company to build and operate a factory in the Northwest to churn out prefabricated buildings to a minimal number of patterns 2, 3 and 4 beds and you could drive down costs on well designed high spec A rated buildings to less than half the commercial self builds would be. With Modern tech there would be lots of configuration options so its not anything like 'you can have any colour you like as long as it's black'. Site costs will vary obviously but it sounds like an interesting way of keeping the bill for the taxpayer down.
                                                                                                                        It could probably work for prior years though to be fair.

I have sympathy for people who built larger houses and have larger mortgages as a result, but given the generally poor standard of house build I think the modular idea would well be a runner as long as they’re not obvious eyesores, state should try to minimise cost whilst protecting the people as best they can and keeping some sort of equity. It would also, most helpfully, speed things up as trying to get individual builders to individual sites for 10,000 houses will take a decade

Comment

I guess the banks are the biggest stakeholders in mica affected homes. They don't want to end up holding papers against worthless heaps of rubble.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X