X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yer wan in the chase has Autism

Comment

The Bond movie is enjoyable enough nonsense with a couple of decent twists and a fitting way for Craig to bow out as 007.

Liked the Cuban Bond girl.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Hi,

Just a small post to let any IPB members know that my brother Keith passed away last Sunday. His funeral was yesterday and it was a wonderful celebration of his life.

Keith had not been active on the poker scene for a while but I know a lot of members here knew Keith when he was active in the poker community.

Say a prayer for him & think of him. He leaves a huge hole in our lives.

Tom Maguire.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
          Hi,

Just a small post to let any IPB members know that my brother Keith passed away last Sunday. His funeral was yesterday and it was a wonderful celebration of his life.

Keith had not been active on the poker scene for a while but I know a lot of members here knew Keith when he was active in the poker community.

Tom Maguire.
          Condolences Tom, to you and your family. I hope you guys are holding up ok.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Condolences Tom, to you and your family. I hope you guys are holding up ok.
            Thanks. It's been a very tough week for sure.

Comment

My diagnosis is Asperger's syndrome for exactly these reasons
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

That was really excellent. ( though I initially read NF as National Front)
                I wasn't mad about it.
                And the "It's your fault if it makes you comfortable argument" doesn't wash with me if elements simply aren't funny.
                Chapelles obsession with trans people is a bit much.
                It feels like he's been that so universally lauded that the trans pushback is the one thing he's been pulled up on in like a decade and he can't get past it.

Even if it's not how he personally feels, he keeps trying to get his jokes over on the subject. Telling I guess, he had to explain himself to the trans bathroom bill whooper. Talk shit, attract flies.
                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  I wasn't mad about it.
                  And the "It's your fault if it makes you comfortable argument" doesn't wash with me if elements simply aren't funny.
                  Do you think Netflix should take it down though? I wouldn't watch a Jim Jefferies show, because I think he's an unfunny drunken lout. I wouldn't want to deprive the people who do find him entertaining their fun though.
                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by TM2204 View Post
                    Hi,

Tom Maguire.
                    I heard on Friday. Wouldn't have known Keith that well but had the occasional chat with him. Very sad, RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

There wasn't one ounce of snideness intended in my comment. However, I think I said as much as anyone else if not more in a far more succinct way with my comment. What we witnessed pre/post the GBS episode shows us how these situations play out.
                      What is the counterfactual world in which there is a different outcome? The GBS was an important cultural institution for a segment of Dublin of which you aren't part - how exactly do you expect you to see the negative effects of it being closed?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

There wasn't one ounce of snideness intended in my comment. However, I think I said as much as anyone else if not more in a far more succinct way with my comment. What we witnessed pre/post the GBS episode shows us how these situations play out.

Fair enough. I'll admit I had a few beers on me when I read it and that combined with being quite passionate about the whole issue would have coloured my reading of your post. When I read my reply back on Saturday morning, I did question myself whether I was too OTT. Genuine apologies that I took it up the wrong way.

I do disagree about the pre/post situation of the GBS, but think that is more about the circles we operate in which is understandable.

Would still enjoy a chat about your opinions on it over a glass of vino or seven.

Comment

Currently I'm in Shoreditch which for a few years was a cool place full of a wide mix of music and arts... People found out and it become successful rents went up. Now it's a crappy mess of nightclub and the demographics have changed radically in a few years.
                          that's how cities evolve.
                          Just because a few good musicians played in a bar occasionally does not mean that the vast majority was from pisspoor amateurs diddilying for tourists. And it doesn't come close to making it a cultural shibboleth.

​​​​​​
                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Just saw the replay of the Fury v Wilder match there. Very entertaining. Could see them fighting again.
                            Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

If you are looking for opinion on Dublin Culture - ignore the culchies , they dont really get it . If Matt Molloys was torn down to house a Mayo GAA crises centre I might listen.

Comment

France Spain was a bit of a hum dinger.
                                still not sure what the nation's cup is.
                                Have to agree with Courtois today, 3rd place play offs are worthless.
                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Echoing Solks, Midnight Mass on Netflix is quite something if you fancy a little 7 parter intelligent horror.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                    Currently I'm in Shoreditch which for a few years was a cool place full of a wide mix of music and arts... People found out and it become successful rents went up. Now it's a crappy mess of nightclub and the demographics have changed radically in a few years.
                                    that's how cities evolve.
                                    Just because a few good musicians played in a bar occasionally does not mean that the vast majority was from pisspoor amateurs diddilying for tourists. And it doesn't come close to making it a cultural shibboleth.

​​​​​​
                                    I'm somewhat baffled by your post?

You seem to be saying that a really cool, culturally vibrant area was ruined by money/developers coming in and it was turned into a absolute mess. That surely isn't a good thing?

Then you seem to just accept that there isn't an alternative, that it's just evolution, c'est la vie. Why should we just accept it, why shouldn't we do something to prevent that happening?

You then seem to be underestimating the impact The Cobblestone has had here. If you do even the slightest bit of research, you will the sheer amount of people who are crediting it with getting their break, a place that was so influential to them. To label it as some tourist spot full of pisspoor amateurs is way off the mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                      Have you tried going to a meeting yet? I'm not a big AA fan, and obviously it didn't work for me. Think it might be a thing that would work for you.

Comment

Have you tried going to a meeting yet? I'm not a big AA fan, and obviously it didn't work for me. Think it might be a thing that would work for you.
                                        Stone cold sober and have no problem with alcohol, have no need for AA.

Comment

Stone cold sober and have no problem with alcohol, have no need for AA.
                                          Stay off it for 3 months, and then realise how depressed you were by drinking for even 2 days a week.

Comment

WTF CC?

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                              Palm Springs best movie I’ve seen in a while

watched Another Round (Druk) last night, bit of a let down
                                              I just watched this, I absolutely loved it! What a great movie! I think this is one of the few movies that both myself and Satnav would enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

WTF CC?
                                                Yeah, think I'll take a break from here for a while, before I go full JBravado.

Comment

Ha. This is a great start for the week.
                                                  "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Stay off it for 3 months, and then realise how depressed you were by drinking for even 2 days a week.
                                                    I'm not depressed or suffering from depression.

But don't log off from here over a comment to me. There is absolutely no offence taken from my my side. Stay and have the chats, you definitely add to this place and would be missed.

Comment

I think Lao Lao is passionate about the subject which is fair enough surely . I'd agree with a lot of what he says .
                                                      CC just winding up for the craic ?

Yeah Hotspur. Havent enjoyed a horror series like that since Saloms Lot .

Comment

Petition for name change to Lush Lush

Comment

Who would have thought a discussion about old boozers could turn into the IPB equivalent of the Treaty?

Lao Lao is our Mick Collins.

Comment

Thinking as the first house step - have the whole thing rewired. Then we can start moving forward confidently knowing the wires (which the surveyor said were grand, but would need to be changed at some point as they dare from 1959) won't fry us if we add too many connections to the network. The heating in the house is electric, so we want to get in some of those new super efficient German electric heaters, but can't really without knowing the core electrics are fine.

Does that seem like a fine decision, or more akin to a decision to live in Bray?

Comment

I just watched this, I absolutely loved it! What a great movie! I think this is one of the few movies that both myself and Satnav would enjoy.
                                                              The dance scene at the end just tops it off nicely. Just a really nice little movie, that proves you don't need CGI shite to tell a great story with sympathetic characters.

Even the
                                                              SPOILER
                                                              suicide
                                                              has a nice element of pathos to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                Thinking as the first house step - have the whole thing rewired. Then we can start moving forward confidently knowing the wires (which the surveyor said were grand, but would need to be changed at some point as they dare from 1959) won't fry us if we add too many connections to the network. The heating in the house is electric, so we want to get in some of those new super efficient German electric heaters, but can't really without knowing the core electrics are fine.

Does that seem like a fine decision, or more akin to a decision to live in Bray?
                                                                I'd start with the most important things; cleaning and eating. What state are the bathrooms and kitchen in?

Comment

^^^ someone recommended CODA (children of deaf adults) as another feelgood movie. But don't know if they are a reliable recommender.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'd start with the most important things; cleaning and eating. What state are the bathrooms and kitchen in?
                                                                    I think 'grand', not great though. The problem there also is its all connected to electric. Install a proper electric shower - blow the fuse box. That's why I'm thinking about the wiring. But I genuinely don't have a clue. It just seems reassuring knowing the core fabric of what a house is is grand. As well as reducing the chances of having to dig something up later.

Comment

I'D have followed you to hell DEV
                                                                      FYP

Comment

I think 'grand', not great though. The problem there also is its all connected to electric. Install a proper electric shower - blow the fuse box. That's why I'm thinking about the wiring. But I genuinely don't have a clue. It just seems reassuring knowing the core fabric of what a house is is grand. As well as reducing the chances of having to dig something up later.
                                                                        Might want to sell the rest of that crypto.

'Core fabric' is a lot more than just wiring; what about insulation, windows, flooring, doors, plumbing, heating, skirting?

Comment

HH . Btw , Get a carbon monoxide alarm . (As should ye all)

That canary btw used to play the Cobblestones Sunday morning.

Comment

My beautiful Kitty passed last night. Heartbroken.

1.png
                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Sorry to hear that AFB.

Comment

If you're going the full re-wire, it's worth considering getting network cabling dropped in around the house to a few rooms. You seem like the sort who'd have a few internet-connected experiments that could benefit from it.

Comment

Do you think Netflix should take it down though? I wouldn't watch a Jim Jefferies show, because I think he's an unfunny drunken lout. I wouldn't want to deprive the people who do find him entertaining their fun though.
                                                                                  My initial thoughts are no. "Cancelling" is a toxic practice that stifles expression. Like your feelings on Jim Jefferies (who I quite enjoy), refusing a platform based on what I enjoy a ridiculous stance to hold.
                                                                                  Would I want netflix to talk down a chubby brown special? I wouldnt really care but I'd hope they wouldnt promote it.
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                    Echoing Solks, Midnight Mass on Netflix is quite something if you fancy a little 7 parter intelligent horror.
                                                                                    I liked it but......
                                                                                    SPOILER
                                                                                    The stupidity of every single person on the island at the end was annoying. Not one of them could think of a single way to avoid their fate?

Comment

You seem to be saying that a really cool, culturally vibrant area was ruined by money/developers coming in and it was turned into a absolute mess. That surely isn't a good thing?

Then you seem to just accept that there isn't an alternative, that it's just evolution, c'est la vie. Why should we just accept it, why shouldn't we do something to prevent that happening?

You then seem to be underestimating the impact The Cobblestone has had here. If you do even the slightest bit of research, you will the sheer amount of people who are crediting it with getting their break, a place that was so influential to them. To label it as some tourist spot full of pisspoor amateurs is way off the mark.
                                                                                      Tbh, I wouldn't think of the cobblestone as a tourist destination really.
                                                                                      Any time I've been in there, the tourist element is at a minimum. Any tourist there, that I've seen, is usually brought by a local who is already familiar with the place.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I liked it but......
                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                        The stupidity of every single person on the island at the end was annoying. Not one of them could think of a single way to avoid their fate?
                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                        just like most brainwashed religious nutjobs

Comment

Who would have thought a discussion about old boozers could turn into the IPB equivalent of the Treaty?

Lao Lao is our Mick Collins.

It's a good job you didn't call me Dev - There would have been a full on civil war had that happened

Comment

Its neither good nor bad its just a fact. Creative hubs that succeed in creating a nexus in an area drive up demand and soon prevent new young creators operating in these areas(. They go elsewhere rinse and repeat.
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Petition for name change to Lush Lush

I'd prefer Tipsy Wipsy, please & thanks.

Comment

Its neither good nor bad its just a fact. Creative hubs that succeed in creating a nexus in an area drive up demand and soon prevent new young creators operating in these areas(. They go elsewhere rinse and repeat.
                                                                                                I think that's it. They get pushed out to warehouses, to odd districts. Thats part of the process. I wonder if the scrambling is part of the creation. That they are so far out of the way, that they need to be extra compelling to attract people. Its not that we should design pain into the process, but maybe also pain is a necessary part of the process. That countries where they have state-designated 'creative districts' where they give the creators everything, probably struggle to actually be creative. Maybe the Cobbleestone needing to recreate its idea of how trad music is consumed is something that will keep it fresh. Its a difficult one. Like, maybe its just pure rampant capitalism, or maybe its part of what keeps things alive.

Comment

I remember that with Chapter One and 101 Talbot. That their location, in their respective hot decades, was notable at the time, but was driven by needing to find somewhere cheap. In return then those types of places help to make things vibrant. Albeit that obviously hasn't worked for 101 Talbot, as nobody followed them there.

Comment

I think that's it. They get pushed out to warehouses, to odd districts. Thats part of the process. I wonder if the scrambling is part of the creation. That they are so far out of the way, that they need to be extra compelling to attract people. Its not that we should design pain into the process, but maybe also pain is a necessary part of the process. That countries where they have state-designated 'creative districts' where they give the creators everything, probably struggle to actually be creative. Maybe the Cobbleestone needing to recreate its idea of how trad music is consumed is something that will keep it fresh. Its a difficult one. Like, maybe its just pure rampant capitalism, or maybe its part of what keeps things alive.
                                                                                                    If you look at New York, you can see this working out over decades. The creative districts in Manhattan gradually became fashionable, then gentrified and the creatives were forced to move elsewhere - mainly Brooklyn.

We don't want monochrome cities (otherwise we would all go and live in some hellhole like Singapore). We want that mixture, that's what gives cities their energy. The problem is how to safeguard that within a market-driven infrastructure.

Comment

huh, now there's a form of compliance that I had never come across in work before today:

Regulatory Marijuana Related Business

Listened to a really podcast on the legalisation struggle at the weekend. Never realised how close America was to full legalisation in 1977 and how the stoners managed to fuck it up in classical stoner fashion. Worth 45 mins.

Comment

If it still has the original old style fuseboard, then would be worth while replacing with a modern circuit board. And you could do that without replacing all the cabling as long as there were a few existing separate circuits. From there you could also add a dedicated shower, heater, car charger circuits as needed to the new CB.
                                                                                                        Replacing all the cabling with the boards would be marginally better. But a lot more work as you'll be ripping into wall. Best do as part of another renovation imo - unless they are in a bad way obviously.

I'd look at the kitchen and bathroom first. How old do they look? What are the finishes materials. Maybe they were replaced recently, but changes are they are the best place to start.
                                                                                                        Most places of that era have odd little fireplaces. Getting rid can give you back usable space in the downstair rooms.
                                                                                                        BER is likely awful. Could improve by insulating the attic. Or my adding a large well insulated extension.

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                          Have to agree with Courtois today, 3rd place play offs are worthless.
                                                                                                          I don't think UEFA are a fan of them either as they don't have them in any other competition.
                                                                                                          But having one in this competition solves a scheduling issue - without it there would be no second game for Belgium or Italy in this international break after they'd lost their semi-final.
                                                                                                          Because every other country is already committed to WC qualifier games.
                                                                                                          So the obvious solution is that the two beaten semi-finalists play each other, and you might as well give that game a moniker.

Comment

Run an ethernet cable into each room

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

If you're going the full re-wire, it's worth considering getting network cabling dropped in around the house to a few rooms. You seem like the sort who'd have a few internet-connected experiments that could benefit from it.
                                                                                                              At the very least get something like https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA422...s%2C469&sr=8-3

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I don't think UEFA are a fan of them either as they don't have them in any other competition.
                                                                                                                But having one in this competition solves a scheduling issue - without it there would be no second game for Belgium or Italy in this international break after they'd lost their semi-final.
                                                                                                                Because every other country is already committed to WC qualifier games.
                                                                                                                So the obvious solution is that the two beaten semi-finalists play each other, and you might as well give that game a moniker.
                                                                                                                True, would be a hard sell to put tickets up with what, 3 days notice for a friendly versus Qatar or something otherwise.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

That's it.

If it wasn't happening it would be a sign of a decaying city. It's an unfortunate thing by it's own that it happens, but it's a sign of a healthy growing city. Things change and move. The only constant is change.

Comment

If you look at New York, you can see this working out over decades. The creative districts in Manhattan gradually became fashionable, then gentrified and the creatives were forced to move elsewhere - mainly Brooklyn.

We don't want monochrome cities (otherwise we would all go and live in some hellhole like Singapore). We want that mixture, that's what gives cities their energy. The problem is how to safeguard that within a market-driven infrastructure.
                                                                                                                    Hmmm. I was just offered a job in Singapore recently.

I thought it might be nice to live under a benevolent dictator for a change of scenery.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

Hmmm. I was just offered a job in Singapore recently.

I thought it might be nice to live under a benevolent dictator for a change of scenery.
                                                                                                                      a good friend of mine lives out there and I was speaking to him yesterday. he says it's currently a miserable place to be. Population is currently down to its lowest since 1975 as so many expats have left due to their covid restrictions and policies. no one want to be there anymore and he says it probably wont get back to the way it was for quite some time.

Comment

Singapore is most definitely not bland! They've loads of tall buildings and that casino monstrosity by the sea, but most of their life is lived in charming little side streets. The street food cusine is widely viewed as the best in the world. Its a great place.

Comment

Run an ethernet cable into each room
                                                                                                                          Ah Jaysus HJ he'll never get over selling them with that constant reminder.

PS.. may have mentioned them last week but I think I got away with it

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X