X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

First hour tomorrow will decide the game
    Still not decided
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I really don't get any sense of that.

Treat the topic on its merits rather than trying to ascribe sinister motives.
      That is one million percent why it is newsworthy and why Katherine Zappone was always unusually newsworthy despite her relatively minor government role.

It's not a topic that has merit because there are hundreds, maybe thousands of such small positions handed out by each government. Boards etc, leaving aside the joke that is stateboards.ie. Its all connections.

So why has one single appointment got so much coverage? It is absolutely because of the people involved being perceived as 'different' and therefore a useful wedge to drive between party and nation. That's why it's there.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

How do you portray a government as out of touch - make a big song and dance about how they hang around with notably different people.

Comment

Fast moving events have caught up with my ability to argue about SF propaganda. Email from the school just now saying someone in the kids class tested positive for corona. She has a whopping 25 people in her year turning up to her party next Saturday. Are we going to have to cancel that, would you say?

Comment

There does feel to me to be a sinister undercurrent to this story that is less about the sexuality of some of the players but something else in the air I'm finding it hard to nail down.

It is all about the media themselves though and close to nothing to do with any of the issues involved.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
              Fast moving events have caught up with my ability to argue about SF propaganda. Email from the school just now saying someone in the kids class tested positive for corona. She has a whopping 25 people in her year turning up to her party next Saturday. Are we going to have to cancel that, would you say?
              Seems I'm getting to meet up with my special lady friend this weekend. Think I'm bringing a box of tissues, as opposed to the condoms that might have been necessary back in the day.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                There does feel to me to be a sinister undercurrent to this story that is less about the sexuality of some of the players but something else in the air I'm finding it hard to nail down.

It is all about the media themselves though and close to nothing to do with any of the issues involved.
                Yeah. I went too hard on the sexuality thing in my early posts. That's part of it, but it's more about the people being 'others', of which the sexuality of Zappone is a part, but it's more general and vague than I was describing it.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Seems I'm getting to meet up with my special lady friend this weekend. Think I'm bringing a box of tissues, as opposed to the condoms that might have been necessary back in the day.
                  In like Flynn. And you got the lube in Pantibar, so all eventualities are covered.

Comment

100% a cancellation.
                    Tough for you to disappoint the child but let them set a new date for the party
                    & choose a family treat for the birthday.

Comment

In like Flynn. And you got the lube in Pantibar, so all eventualities are covered.
                      Ah, its nice to have something to look forward to, even if it might be a disaster (20%). If it's some long play me-too I'm goosed
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                        100% a cancellation.
                        Tough for you to disappoint the child but let them set a new date for the party
                        & choose a family treat for the birthday.
                        You're right. I needed to hear it. I think she'll be fine with it, to be honest. I'll reserve the sympathy for the poor kid who was apparently sick enough to be tested, suggesting he hasn't got the fabled non-symptomatic corona and might be in for a dodgy week or so.

Comment

Was drinking in a pub tonight for first time in three years (I classify myself as a non drinker these days). Was surprised that selling Kilkenny is still a thing. Less surprised that Jameson and Ginger is.

Ending up eating outside Zaytoon - very nostalgic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

It's madness, I tried to book Aimsir when they launched there overnight stay and tasting menu a while back - Can't remember if it was for July/Aug/Sept or Aug/Sept/Oct and every Friday and Sat was booked out in under 30 seconds with every other date gone within a few minutes.

It was going to be for Mrs Lao Lao's birthday later this month so have had to rethink it. Just need to figure out what the fuck to buy her now - Only 3 weeks to go
                            People are hardly using bots for this are they?

Comment

Currently waiting to fly to Italy. What's the baggage allowance for salami on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                Currently waiting to fly to Italy. What's the baggage allowance for salami on the way home.
                                Ask the stewardess with a wink but refer to it as my salami

Comment

Yeah. I went too hard on the sexuality thing in my early posts. That's part of it, but it's more about the people being 'others', of which the sexuality of Zappone is a part, but it's more general and vague than I was describing it.
                                  So give some examples.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I got caught before with cans/jars being confiscated from hand luggage.

10kg of pure pork should be waved through.

Comment

So give some examples.
                                      What do you mean?

I gave a list of SF things yesterday that I would consider far more serious - such as a recruitment process for councillors that doesn't seem to check if you are an armed criminal. That seems like a bigger story. Or that all SF offices around the country have seemingly been bought with cash - seems an infinitely bigger story.

My point is that these stories are objectively bigger, but don't have the same legs, because people think the Zappone thing is noteworthy because she belongs to a social circle that most of us don't belong to. She is an other.

So we don't have a fair treatment of news stories.

Comment

My theory is that a certain amount of the places have already been handed out to people before they go on general sale but I've nothing to back that up with other than a nice shiny tinfoil hat.

Comment

NI=British…
                                          Seems like I gave you too much credit in my assumption you weren’t making such an obvious geographical clanger.

They’ve been playing UK politics since forever, and obviously NI is in the the UK. But it is not part of the island of Britain anymore that Dublin or Cork is.
                                          As AJ efficiently put it, it’s the UKofGB&NI.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                            My theory is that a certain amount of the places have already been handed out to people before they go on general sale but I've nothing to back that up with other than a nice shiny tinfoil hat.
                                            I'd say almost certainly. A bot would be surprisingly easy to hire.

Comment

The venn diagram of ordinary people who like to visit high end restaurants and those who know much about bots, let alone would actually create one/procure one - seems rather low.

Comment

Originally posted by Degag View Post
                                                The venn diagram of ordinary people who like to visit high end restaurants and those who know much about bots, let alone would actually create one/procure one - seems rather low.
                                                Surely it's standard booking websites and so there's a simple enough task to find one. But yeah on reflection I'd say you are right!

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Previously competent government politician seems to be in a corner and making up stories on the fly.
                                                  "I cleaned my phone because I was hacked" is up there with the dog ate my homework.
                                                  I'm guessing the journalists and the dail committee politicians are getting the next set of questions ready.
                                                  He says his phone was hacked and used to contact other european politicians. What does this mean? Was it 'hacked' in the Nigerian phishing sense, or perhaps did they find MI5/FSB had a trace on it? Or did his 6 year old nephew enter 1,2,3,4 as a pin code and text 'smelly bum' to Angela M?
                                                  Was the hack reported to the guards? Did he delete and re-install his apps when he discovered this hack, a much more important thing than deleting text messages. Don't lie here, because it will be easily found out.

And still the question is 'why Zappone?' The party lost 12 seats in the last election, so why was this UN role created for some random independent who made up the numbers in the last government, but is now so unpopular she's unlikely to get near a Dail seat again. Why not do it instead for one of the 12 FGers who lost their seat, or the Senators who couldn't be reappointed, or some long-serving party councillor? What's she got that she needs to be looked after.

You can call it a nothing story compared to the housing announcement, but I know which story Lester Freamon would have on his board.
                                                  Seemingly....he opened a link from an sms, which in turn spammed his contacts to buy crypto. That was the "hack" that has him deleting messages from his ministerial state phone.

This obvious power struggle between Leo and SC should get a bit more dirty soon. Papers tomorrow should be fun !
                                                  This too shall pass.

Comment

Hearty laugh reading the bot talk. I'd say most can barely turn on a computer.

Comment

A bot would only make sense if it was someone block booking slots to resell. That's obv not the case.

Why would anyone go to the trouble of creating a bot to book themselves a once or twice off table in a restaurant?

A combo of wink wink slots given to friends and high demand for the rest would see them vanish in 30 seconds.

Still gutted that I cancelled my tasting menu slot in Aimsir.

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

If you put the handing out of patronage in the hands of politicians, they're going to patronise.

Look at the Lotto funding for the constituencies of Shane Ross and John O'Donoghue for example. Or the lootz McCreevy shipped into racing. etc etc
                                                        If SF take office there will be hundreds of positions that change from FF FG pals to SF pals. Each of those a bigger version of Zappone, as any political party structure needs something to hand out. I don't think any of it is corruption. I do think the lobbying, becoming a lobbyist, is innately corrupt though.
                                                        Giving €100K to the local sports club makes sense at a patronage level though - it's to get you votes in the next GE election.
                                                        And the next SF government rewarding their party loyalists with quango positions etc, also makes perfect sense.
                                                        But Zappone was an independent who already got her reward (a junior ministry position and the lifetime benefits that go with that).
                                                        Once she became an ex-TD with little chance of becoming politically relevant in Ireland again, there's no reason to give her any patronage. Drop her, don't answer her calls, she's a nobody - if there's roles to be created and jobs to be handed out then give it to the people who will matter in the future. Basic politics I'd have thought.
                                                        If there's no corruption/compromise involved (and you two seem adamant there isn't, so I'll accept that) then at the very least it seems rank stupid from Coveney.

Comment

Making a return after maybe seven years to Ireland's preeminent (by dint of singledom) Russian restaurant. I see they have up their game considerably in the intervening years with the introduction of pictures to their menu. It's not the most creative of cuisines, but the soups are (and look) ridic good.

Comment

Surely there's no particular lifetime benefits that come with holding a ministry for a few years? Apart from being able to subsequently pick up handy €15k gigs. Now sadly vanquished.

Comment

People go on about Haughy eating brian leninhans liver..Savil row shirts etc, but it was different times the 80's, wasnt that long ago minister for comms was having lunch with bidder for a broadband contract, feck all changes when people are willing to accept sure, its what happens...all in the game.

I know i can be an idealist and expect everyone to be 100% above board, thats not life, i know that...but at least do it in the shadows, dont be rubbing it in my face.
                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

And is there absolutely no one who thinks that it was simply a really great idea to get someone of Cathrine Zappone's stature into an influential position within the UN to promote an agenda of inclusiveness that we are world leaders in (q.v. the paralympics) in a world where the Taliban are taking control of countries and Texas is reneging on Women's bodily autonomy.

Cynicism and moronic clickbait gotcha news reporting reigns. The only thing of any interest politically now is who exactly leaked it in running from the cabinet meeting.

Comment

What do you mean?

I gave a list of SF things yesterday that I would consider far more serious - such as a recruitment process for councillors that doesn't seem to check if you are an armed criminal. That seems like a bigger story. Or that all SF offices around the country have seemingly been bought with cash - seems an infinitely bigger story.

My point is that these stories are objectively bigger, but don't have the same legs, because people think the Zappone thing is noteworthy because she belongs to a social circle that most of us don't belong to. She is an other.

So we don't have a fair treatment of news stories.
                                                                  I mean give us examples of news stories about Zapponegate where the bias you describe is present.

You've claimed it exists. Now demonstrate it.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                    People go on about Haughy eating brian leninhans liver..Savil row shirts etc, but it was different times the 80's, wasnt that long ago minister for comms was having lunch with bidder for a broadband contract, feck all changes when people are willing to accept sure, its what happens...all in the game.

I know i can be an idealist and expect everyone to be 100% above board, thats not life, i know that...but at least do it in the shadows, dont be rubbing it in my face.
                                                                    Are you genuinely comparing this to Lowry's awarding the mobile phone licence and Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor's planning permission racket?
                                                                    This wasn't even in the shadow's it was brought to cabinet without having been discussed with Martin and Ryan

Comment

Are you genuinely comparing this to Lowry's awarding the mobile phone licence and Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor's planning permission racket?
                                                                      This wasn't even in the shadow's it was brought to cabinet without having been discussed with Martin and Ryan
                                                                      Not this current pickle, the rest of them, Leo under a criminal investigation atm, and you can bet there are plenty of planning and contract backhanders happening in the shadows,
                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

I mean give us examples of news stories about Zapponegate where the bias you describe is present.

You've claimed it exists. Now demonstrate it.
                                                                        No. I think it's the volume of interest. Fairly certain I was clear about that also. The exaggeration of minor stories by incessantly covering it. Not individual stories. Noticed it before when she kept seeming to be considered newsworthy back when she was a junior minister. There seems an abnormally high volume of negative news. Also the same with the minister for children - Roderick someone? And news story tends to get too much coverage.

Comment

Surely there's no particular lifetime benefits that come with holding a ministry for a few years? Apart from being able to subsequently pick up handy €15k gigs. Now sadly vanquished.
                                                                          From my basic maths, her TD pension entitlement is €96K TD's salary / 40 (standard divider) * 4 (years as a TD) = €9,600.
                                                                          However 4 years as junior minister add a chunk to that. Her ministerial salary was €60K. 4 years service entitles her to 30% of that, €19,500.
                                                                          So being a minister has brought her pension from €9,600 to €29,000.
                                                                          That's a serious bump, and what I meant by lifetime benefits. They needed her vote in 2016, she negotiated a junior ministry, that's all fine with me and its the way it works.
                                                                          But once she lost her seat I'm not sure why the favours continued. Should have been the end of it really.

I'm getting the pension entitlements/multipliers/percentages from here, a 2012 IT article, and applying the salary figure as at February 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Not this current pickle, the rest of them, Leo under a criminal investigation atm, and you can bet there are plenty of planning and contract backhanders happening in the shadows,
                                                                            Right. And the 'criminal investigation' is about what? Trying to intervene in a GP contract dispute to stop the main union acting in concert and extracting too much from the state. But it became about what exactly? Bonus points if you manage to explain it without sexuality. Strange that.

Comment

From my basic maths, her TD pension entitlement is €96K TD's salary / 40 (standard divider) * 4 (years as a TD) = €9,600.
                                                                              However 4 years as junior minister add a chunk to that. Her ministerial salary was €60K. 4 years service entitles her to 30% of that, €19,500.
                                                                              So being a minister has brought her pension from €9,600 to €29,000.
                                                                              That's a serious bump, and what I meant by lifetime benefits. They needed her vote in 2016, she negotiated a junior ministry, that's all fine with me and its the way it works.
                                                                              But once she lost her seat I'm not sure why the favours continued. Should have been the end of it really.

I'm getting the pension entitlements/multipliers/percentages from here, a 2012 IT article, and applying the salary figure as at February 2020.
                                                                              You genuinely saw a calculation somewhere saying that the current pension scheme applying to junior ministers gives her a €20,000 annual pension for earning €60k extra for four years?

Edit. Wow that is indeed the case based on this more up to date calculation. I realise its a very small group of people, but that seems far too much compensation for being a minister. https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifest...-30883511.html
                                                                              Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 04-09-21, 12:04.

Comment

You genuinely saw a calculation somewhere saying that the current pension scheme applying to junior ministers gives her a €20,000 annual pension for earning €60k extra for four years?
                                                                                I included an IT link to that effect. Section 2, "working out the pension of a minister". 4 years as minister entitles you to 30% of the excess (minsters salary minus basic TDs salary).
                                                                                Its under blue text in my post but I'll do the full link in case its not appearing properly on your device.
                                                                                Just how are ministers' pensions worked out? (irishtimes.com)
                                                                                Have I made a mistake somewhere?
                                                                                She's in the relatively unique position (but becoming more common) of her entire Dail career being as a minister which skews her figures.
                                                                                The more normal career I guess would be 25 years in the Dail, half of it in opposition, and even half the time in government on the backbenches, and 5/6 years as a minister.

Comment

No. I think it's the volume of interest. Fairly certain I was clear about that also. The exaggeration of minor stories by incessantly covering it. Not individual stories. Noticed it before when she kept seeming to be considered newsworthy back when she was a junior minister. There seems an abnormally high volume of negative news. Also the same with the minister for children - Roderick someone? And news story tends to get too much coverage.
                                                                                  Feckin' hell, that's pretty damn tenuous! It's an interesting angle.

So the volume of news stories is indicative in itself of bias? Is this across the entire media universe or just certain sections of it.

I do hear a faint echo in your comments.

Fake News.

Comment

I included an IT link to that effect. Section 2, "working out the pension of a minister". 4 years as minister entitles you to 30% of the excess (minsters salary minus basic TDs salary).
                                                                                    Its under blue text in my post but I'll do the full link in case its not appearing properly on your device.
                                                                                    Just how are ministers' pensions worked out? (irishtimes.com)
                                                                                    Have I made a mistake somewhere?
                                                                                    She's in the relatively unique position (but becoming more common) of her entire Dail career being as a minister which skews her figures.
                                                                                    The more normal career I guess would be 25 years in the Dail, half of it in opposition, and even half the time in government on the backbenches, and 5/6 years as a minister.
                                                                                    Of course, it's no longer the outrageous deal that it was under Bertie. Now it's just eye-opening.

I guess, not in defence but in passing, it's pretty unusual in any career for random groups of people to be able to sack you based on their feelings as at a point in time.

Comment

Feckin' hell, that's pretty damn tenuous! It's an interesting angle.

So the volume of news stories is indicative in itself of bias? Is this across the entire media universe or just certain sections of it.

I do hear a faint echo in your comments.

Fake News.
                                                                                      I think so. A party is elected based on a population perspective that the party is like the people, so it's surely a very effective strategy to highlight very different people from the main population. In the case of propaganda it's about amplifying news stories (like I did yesterday) about their homophobic councilors. In the case of a story about 'FG has lost touch' its highlighting lifestyles and backgrounds that are different to the population, like Zappone. So stories about the likes of a Zappone will be highlighted more by an effective anti FG propaganda outlet.

I don't think that's an unreasonable idea, no? It's almost classic politics.

Comment

India gone odds on

Comment

Lets not put the mockers on India again.

Comment

A weekend of firsts so far, came across Hardy Bucks on Netflix last night, completely passed me by at the time, explains where "Eddie Durkin" from this parish fado fado and The Viper clips of late originate from. The show itself is not an easy watch, well, the first 4 i have seen anyway.

Came across an xmas present for the young fellow that was tucked away and never opened, a fine pair of sony earphones, tried them out cutting the grass earlier and with some noise canceling witchcraft i couldn't hear the lawnmower...it did bring my attention to a dodgy bearing somewhere on the machine though.
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

A lad I know on has been doing some serious hill running recently including a 7 hour 60K run along the Kerry Way earlier this year the thoughts of which had my head in a spin .

6AM yesterday he started the 200K Kerry Way ultra which has a median finisher time of 32 hours.

He won the race at 4AM this morning after22 hours as far as I can see hours ahead of second. That is some bona fide crazy shit!

Here's his strava for it, averages 7:10 /km Fucking hell ​​​

Overcast clouds, 12°C, Feels like 12°C, Humidity 76%, Wind 1m/s from ENE - by Klimat.app

Comment

Leona Maguire playing a stormer in her first Solheim Cup.

She’s up against the two Korda sisters and she’s doing exactly what she needs to.

Some player.
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

The 3 year old got me real good this morning.

I was in knots, although I don't think she meant it, was a little too clever.

She was eating toast. She had a small bit in her hand and she started spinning it around like the way you do Airplane when getting a kid to eat.

'What's this Dada, what's this?'

Oh, hmm, is it an airplane?

Nope. What is it Dada, what is it?

A helicopter?

Nope

A birdie?

Nope. What is it Dada?

Ehh, is it a piece of toast?

Yeah.

​​​​​

​​​
                                                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

363 in hospital from covid now. Seems to keep going up unfortunately. I couldn't see the number, would anyone have a vague memory of how many were in hospital back in Feb/March? Was it thousands or was it closer to the current number?

Comment

363 in hospital from covid now. Seems to keep going up unfortunately. I couldn't see the number, would anyone have a vague memory of how many were in hospital back in Feb/March? Was it thousands or was it closer to the current number?
                                                                                                      February 4th.
                                                                                                      Strong decline in Covid rates across all ages - Nolan (rte.ie)
                                                                                                      "There are 1,284 patients being treated for the virus in hospitals, with 188 in intensive care, which is down 15 on yesterday."

Comment

A lad I know on has been doing some serious hill running recently including a 7 hour 60K run along the Kerry Way earlier this year the thoughts of which had my head in a spin .

6AM yesterday he started the 200K Kerry Way ultra which has a median finisher time of 32 hours.

He won the race at 4AM this morning after22 hours as far as I can see hours ahead of second. That is some bona fide crazy shit!

Here's his strava for it, averages 7:10 /km Fucking hell ​​​

Overcast clouds, 12°C, Feels like 12°C, Humidity 76%, Wind 1m/s from ENE - by Klimat.app

Friend of mine does ultra runs all over the world, up mountains, through deserts, pics of the places are great:

https://www.instagram.com/the_plantp...venture/?hl=en

Comment

Out of sheer boredom the young wan started hitting golf balls into the net out the back last year during the 2km lock down.

Roll things on a year and a half and I think she has only gone and won the Lady Captain's prize in Athenry GC. Might be a few scores left to come in. Hope I don't BBV her.

Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Heard an interview with Stephen whatshisname yesterday saying that the latest models from NPHET all show the numbers increasing with the peak in mid/late Oct when they are expected to start falling. He went on to explain some of the rationale behind the model outputs but my brain kind of tunes out from anything Covid related after a minute or two these days.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Opr; 04-09-21, 16:57.

Comment

Pretty sure they would be. I know a few people that started using them to book Gym times when they introduced the booking system after Covid.

Edit - On reflection, I laughed when I got to Tar's comment as my sample data would be very biased.
                                                                                                              Last edited by Opr; 04-09-21, 17:13.

Comment

February 4th.
                                                                                                                Strong decline in Covid rates across all ages - Nolan (rte.ie)
                                                                                                                "There are 1,284 patients being treated for the virus in hospitals, with 188 in intensive care, which is down 15 on yesterday."
                                                                                                                Jaysus. It's not over anyway despite 90% vaccination. ffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                                                  Out of sheer boredom the young wan started hitting golf balls into the net out the back last year during the 2km lock down.

Roll things on a year and a half and I think she has only gone and won the Lady Captain's prize in Athenry GC. Might be a few scores left to come in. Hope I don't BBV her.

https://www.masterscoreboard.co.uk/m...TC-48625-19375
                                                                                                                  Thats unreal congrats. Whats with the double barrel name?.

Comment

Kenny out
                                                                                                                    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post

Thats unreal congrats. Whats with the double barrel name?.
                                                                                                                      Didn't marry until years after the kids were born.
                                                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hitch have you proposed the BBV buys an NFT together yet? If not why not!! It seems like something that should have already happened

For anyone interested in the space. I am not particularly but I did want to know a bit more and Doug has a decently knowledgeable guest on the other day talking about it.

Kind of related and I think it is HJ who is into the DeFi space. I was also trying to understand a little about it too. I watched this video trying to understand one of the terms used when I was reading about it. I had some moments early while watching this video thinking is this what it is like to just not get new stuff anymore. :Insert head explode GIF:

Comment

Jaysus. It's not over anyway despite 90% vaccination. ffs.
                                                                                                                          It's the vaccination keeping hospital and Icu numbers so low compared to even February when they were sky high. We're pretty much there. October 22nd is a day to look forward to.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X