This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    Got the second driving test fail out of the way today. 12 errors, when 8 are permitted. And a whopping nine of the errors were for lack of progress. I feel they are slightly making it up on the spot, as it was just nerves holding me back. But it is what it is. The examiner said - you probably just need to buy a car and drive around in it loads.

So, in surprising speed, I have now bought a car. I sat down, filtered cars down to electric only, and literally ordered a car in ten minutes, finance was approved two hours later, and a 2018 Nissan Leaf is turning up on Monday.

This begs a few questions:

1. Does a car normally come with a numberplate? I seem to need a numberplate for insurance. Weirdly that is not a googleable question - I guess it has to come with a numberplate, but want to be sure before emailing the warehouse?

2. Is it super super super strict that you can't drive by yourself, like say how drink driving is handled, or is it something that might just get a nod if you aren't acting the bollix and just driving around the neighbourhood practicing your turns?
    It will have the same number plate it was issued with on day 1. (assuming its not an import)

Driving unaccompanied...we all did it...
    This too shall pass.

Comment

You bought the car sight unseen? Not that I am a frequent buyer of automobiles but surely you want to (at the very least) tool around in it for a few mins.

Think it's the right thing to do as you will actually get a ton of practice in and your confidence will go up accordingly.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

When he was 20?
        Wow I thought it was a pregnant teenager angst movie. she looked about 12 so would not be anything I'd consider as a woman , more a child . I'm a bit hypocritical though as when Britney Spears came out 1st I got a tad hot and irritable

Comment

Got the second driving test fail out of the way today. 12 errors, when 8 are permitted. And a whopping nine of the errors were for lack of progress. I feel they are slightly making it up on the spot, as it was just nerves holding me back. But it is what it is. The examiner said - you probably just need to buy a car and drive around in it loads.

So, in surprising speed, I have now bought a car. I sat down, filtered cars down to electric only, and literally ordered a car in ten minutes, finance was approved two hours later, and a 2018 Nissan Leaf is turning up on Monday.

This begs a few questions:

1. Does a car normally come with a numberplate? I seem to need a numberplate for insurance. Weirdly that is not a googleable question - I guess it has to come with a numberplate, but want to be sure before emailing the warehouse?

2. Is it super super super strict that you can't drive by yourself, like say how drink driving is handled, or is it something that might just get a nod if you aren't acting the bollix and just driving around the neighbourhood practicing your turns?
          Yep, has a number plate.

Unaccompanied is the greyest of grey areas. We've all done it when learning to drive because if we didnt, time would have been severely limited. But, these days, enforcement is a lot stronger than it was 15 years ago and even a quick look @GardaTraffic on Twitter shows loads of cars impounded for unaccompanied learner.

It's a risk but whether it's worth it is up to yourself to judge. Not sure where you live but if you have any quiet streets in a little square type route, you could just take it out and nip around the same few streets for an hour close to home.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
            You bought the car sight unseen? Not that I am a frequent buyer of automobiles but surely you want to (at the very least) tool around in it for a few mins.

Think it's the right thing to do as you will actually get a ton of practice in and your confidence will go up accordingly.
            I just bought it from carstore.ie which seems to have a great reputation, it has a years warranty so they can't be selling a fuckup, not sure what else I'd be able to pick up by going to the store to inspect it. And its a Leaf which is generally regarded as a decent enough car.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

It will have the same number plate it was issued with on day 1. (assuming its not an import)

Driving unaccompanied...we all did it...
              It seems it is an import.

Comment

It seems it is an import.
                In that case they wont VRT and reg it till its sold, which is now, they have direct access to the number plates so its instant for them to generate one for you, ask them what the reg is and they will let you know for the insurance.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To... if you do the test in your own car (wear well), you'll only have a license to drive an automatic. Not a bad thing as thats the way things are going. Just might be an issue if renting a car outside of the US.
                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                    Hitchhiker's Guide To... if you do the test in your own car (wear well), you'll only have a license to drive an automatic. Not a bad thing as thats the way things are going. Just might be an issue if renting a car outside of the US.
                    Yeah, I'm kinda grand with the automatic licence. Happy to go all-in on my prediction that every new car will be electric within a few years, and therefore the supply of automatic cars will increase astronomically and make the gearstick ability redundant.

The Leaf itself seems like a very decent car. No idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

In that case they wont VRT and reg it till its sold, which is now, they have direct access to the number plates so its instant for them to generate one for you, ask them what the reg is and they will let you know for the insurance.
                      Make sure to get a lucky one.

Comment

The Leaf itself seems like a very decent car. No idea though.
                        Is it red?
                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Yep, has a number plate.

Unaccompanied is the greyest of grey areas. We've all done it when learning to drive because if we didnt, time would have been severely limited. But, these days, enforcement is a lot stronger than it was 15 years ago and even a quick look @GardaTraffic on Twitter shows loads of cars impounded for unaccompanied learner.

It's a risk but whether it's worth it is up to yourself to judge. Not sure where you live but if you have any quiet streets in a little square type route, you could just take it out and nip around the same few streets for an hour close to home.
                          Yeah, certainly a lot stricter than a few years back i'd say but it's pretty important (invaluable almost) to get out and about yourself. If Guards still have discretion in this regard and aren't a dick then i'd say they will let you away as once it's obvious you aren't taking the piss (not too far from home, not speeding, not on motorway etc).

Other than that Hitch, i'd try maybe and get a friend to go out with you a couple evenings a week. It won't feel as formal as with a driving instructor and you'll gain much more confidence.

Comment

Fair play Hitch, I put off driving for a long time too. Bought a cheap van and drove it round a mates yard and the surrounding industrial estate for a few evenings and it was a big boost. It's like every other skill, at the start there are just too many variables and sensory inputs to deal with but as they become ingrained you will find yourself someday eating cornflakes in a bowl perched on your knee while yammering on phone, adjusting radio and waving at someone you know as you merrily trundle around.
                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                I worked with a really good UX guy for a while. Insane the things they spot.

Comment

I read the middle, top then bottom haha.

In my interview as an intern for my first work experience they gave me a picture of a UI and asked me to find the 10 mistakes, I found 23.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Is it red?
                                    It is red!

Comment

3 One or two of us should decamp to HH and we can do a chauffeur driven Leaf South Dublin pub crawl and test his non-drinking status

Comment

Hitchhiker's Guide To...

Drive short distances and as often as possible. Definitely grab a mate with the full licence and go for a few spins together. A casual conversation rather than an instructor saying watch the pedestrian will settle you a lot more. Eventually, it's all muscle memory and less anxiety about progression, roundabouts and the rest. I'd argue that it's tougher to get a licence in Dublin than down in the sticks. The junctions are trickier, more traffic and lots of cyclists to watch out for. I started to drive when I was 28 and found it tough at first too. There's no substitute for road time though.

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                        3 One or two of us should decamp to HH and we can do a chauffeur driven Leaf South Dublin pub crawl and test his non-drinking status
                                        Should also be part of the driving test where you have to prove capability in dealing with drunken passengers.

Comment

SHIT IS HAPPENING

Comment

Stop the count!!!

Comment

HH My brother has a similar electric Leaf a few months now and says its brilliant. Even has a turbo boost type mode where it goes from 0-80 in jig time so this should help your progressing.
                                              HH is hilarious. He often reminds me of Julius Benedict from Twins with the random questions he asks. So well educated but its like every bit of knowledge he has is out of books hes been reading constantly since birth. And now he's recently unleashed to the wider world ala Julius.

Comment

coillcam was really impressed by your golf progress, especially as I seemed to be stagnating, and after a full spring /summer of playing twice a week, I still hadn't beaten my best score of last year of 93.

No big deal, just a little frustrating as my game has come on leaps and bounds from last year, but still shooting too many 7s and 8s.

After your last post, started watching the videos you recommended, and watched all the "how to break 100" and all the "how to break 90". They're all pretty much just common sense, but a good few resonated with me.

Anyway, went for a round today, and left my driver at home, and though I would focus on my 3 and 5 wood. I pretty much hit my 3 wood further than my driver anyway, but with a much narrower band of hooks and draws so was keen to try that.

Ended up shooting an 88 (9 under with course index adjustment ),so absolutely delighted with myself!

Cheers for the tips and in a strange way, motivation posts!
                                                Last edited by shrapnel; 01-09-21, 20:21.

Comment

This is all very well but can they do it on a wet Wednesday against Azerbaijan ?

Comment

jesus Idah had a great game for a striker who won't have had a single shot on target.

Comment

This is all very well but can they do it on a wet Wednesday against Azerbaijan ?
                                                      Oh SP.

And that rampant narcissist does SFA for 88 minutes yet everyone will be saying how great he is.

Comment

as usual, it's the hope that kills you.

Great performance from lots of 'no-name' players tonight. Very good stuff.

Comment

Ask me hoop!

Comment

Fk Ronaldo anyway , big Tyrone head on him.

Broke his never beat the Irsih record too but no mention of it.

Comment

James McCLean has been a great servant through the years. But why bring him in this evening? Shirley there has to be someone else. Allowed the cross for 1st goal. Through 1-1 with keeper but poor touch makes it only a half chance.
                                                              Everyone will go on about how good the performance was. Still no wins in the Kenny era?
                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                James McCLean has been a great servant through the years. But why bring him in this evening? Shirley there has to be someone else. Allowed the cross for 1st goal. Through 1-1 with keeper but poor touch makes it only a half chance.
                                                                Everyone will go on about how good the performance was. Still no wins in the Kenny era?
                                                                We beat Andora 4-1

Not massive options up front. Long was out due to Covid although it can be argued he is also past his best.

Maybe Parrott or Horgan on instead.

Think he wanted McClean for a bit of pace so we could put a ball over the top and take some pressure off the defence.

Comment

Been a long time since I felt genuine disappointment after an Irish result and I did not think it would come against Portugal! Best performance in a long time and definite signs of improvement. We go again.

Comment

I got an Amazon echo thing to play audible books on as I had recently taken to plugging my phone into speakers for it like a luddite. It's great for audible.

But I keep saying Hey Google instead of Alexa and I feel like I've accidently said an ex-girlfriend's name.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                      coillcam was really impressed by your golf progress, especially as I seemed to be stagnating, and after a full spring /summer of playing twice a week, I still hadn't beaten my best score of last year of 93.

No big deal, just a little frustrating as my game has come on leaps and bounds from last year, but still shooting too many 7s and 8s.

After your last post, started watching the videos you recommended, and watched all the "how to break 100" and all the "how to break 90". They're all pretty much just common sense, but a good few resonated with me.

Anyway, went for a round today, and left my driver at home, and though I would focus on my 3 and 5 wood. I pretty much hit my 3 wood further than my driver anyway, but with a much narrower band of hooks and draws so was keen to try that.

Ended up shooting an 88 (9 under with course index adjustment ),so absolutely delighted with myself!

G'wan the shrap! Delighted to see that sort of improvement. You're going to keep breaking 90 now.

​The driver is actually a difficult club to hit. Completely different swing and so easy to make mistakes if you're not on the money. Grind it out on the range and get a lesson. It's well worth it when you can rely on the big dog.
                                                                      ​​​​​​
                                                                      Huge fan of Matt/golf sidekick. His strategy is spot on and so easy to follow. For us amateurs trying to break 90 it's all about steadily plodding around making fewer mistakes. To break 80 we'll need to start chipping/putting really well and also have some decent long game.

I kept my first ball that I birdied and also one I won a my first comp with. Nice way to remind me of what I've done and where I've started from.

Keep at it and the handicap will shoot down in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                        I got an Amazon echo thing to play audible books on as I had recently taken to plugging my phone into speakers for it like a luddite. It's great for audible.

But I keep saying Hey Google instead of Alexa and I feel like I've accidently said an ex-girlfriend's name.
                                                                        This is not how I ever thought you'd be behaving.

Planted some Gooseberry plants last year (before covid) as you were asking about where one could find them. Think it takes 3 years for them to be proper bushes, but they'll always be the Hotspur bushes for me.
                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Just program her to respond to OK Google. She won't mind!

Comment

Some decent value points here about NFTs. Not intended as self-praise, I'm always surprised when something sensible emerges from my mouth.

Comment

Some decent value points here about NFTs. Not intended as self-praise, I'm always surprised when something sensible emerges from my mouth.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...mpression=true
                                                                              I like the 'I'm down with the kids, not like the rest of you uncool IT readers' subtle vibe

Comment

Are there videos where he gives an introduction to the concepts or are they all just dripfed in the shot by shot videos? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones.

Comment

I like the 'I'm down with the kids, not like the rest of you uncool IT readers' subtle vibe

Comment

Was reading an article about the upcoming top gun sequel, and was shocked to discover that val kilmer lost his voice (to cancer) in 2014. Absolutely love the fact Tom cruise said that the sequel couldn't be made without him (and rightly so).
                                                                                    Lovely documentary about Kilmer's life, largely made up of home video he filmed himself. He seemed to bring a video camera everywhere including movie sets.

For over 40 years Val Kilmer, one of Hollywood's most mercurial and/or misunderstood actors has been documenting his own life and craft through film and video. He has amassed thousands of hours of footage, from 16mm home movies made with his brothers, to time spent in iconic roles for blockbuster movies like Top Gun, The Doors, Tombstone, and Batman Forever. This raw, wildly original and unflinching documentary reveals a life lived to extremes and a heart-filled, sometimes hilarious look at what it means to be an artist and a complex man.
                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

It's meaningless nonsense.

There doesn't even seem to be any story worthy of needing an extra asshole ripped. There's just a good news story about restrictions being lifted?
                                                                                      If it's meaningless nonsense why has the story been running for 6 weeks? A blatant jobs for the boys girls story and the subsequent botched attempts to deflect that exposed a tiny part of the golden circle, will always stick in the craw of the half of the country that are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.
                                                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Just program her to respond to OK Google. She won't mind!
                                                                                        Why does this make me vaguely suspicious about your relationship with your wife?

Comment

Marco must dispatch his meat at the speed of light.

Sounds dodgier than I intended.

Comment

Also received Marcos penis shaped meats today from Mr DHL.

Comment

Also received Marcos penis shaped meats today from Mr DHL.
                                                                                              I may have overdone it. Although two of my kids are fiends for salami so, although it will be a struggle, we'll manfully munch our way through it by November and in time for the Christmas order.

Comment

I may have overdone it. Although two of my kids are fiends for salami so, although it will be a struggle, we'll manfully munch our way through it by November and in time for the Christmas order.
                                                                                                I might have to blame "that Irishman you met in Rennes" with the kids when we get up towards the second month in a row of pure salami dinners.

Comment

I copied your order and have one 5 year old who I doubt will eat anything other than the ham
                                                                                                  and an 81 year old who thinks sausage shaped foods have no place apart from in a fry
                                                                                                  I'll still be eating this next year.

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

It would be a good day to sharpen my salami-slicing knives.

Comment

The “metaverse” is such a grim concept, what a waste of electricity
                                                                                                      saw some blizzard executive spoofing about the in world concerts they held in fort nite recently, it looked fairly pathetic, sad what companies like that are doing with kids these days, getting the hooked in to buying virtual tat. And Facebook another big player in this whole thing
                                                                                                      Will you ever fuck off with that shite... you are easily one of the worst posters on here for this-Pokerhand

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Are there videos where he gives an introduction to the concepts or are they all just dripfed in the shot by shot videos? Maybe I'm watching the wrong ones.
                                                                                                        pretty much drip fed as he goes round with golfers (although there were a few recap videos), but i thought the concept of visualising the situations on course worked pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

Probably best to look at the breaking 100 or 90 or 80 videos. The one with his mate JMac or brother in law Brian (BDog) are the best. You could go through the recent 1 hour-long whiteboard ones but you may get bored. The concepts are really good but it is a little long imo.

Comment

Originally posted by MysteryGuest View Post
                                                                                                            The “metaverse” is such a grim concept, what a waste of electricity
                                                                                                            saw some blizzard executive spoofing about the in world concerts they held in fort nite recently, it looked fairly pathetic, sad what companies like that are doing with kids these days, getting the hooked in to buying virtual tat. And Facebook another big player in this whole thing
                                                                                                            u ok grumpy cat?
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

So, what did I miss?
                                                                                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

If it's meaningless nonsense why has the story been running for 6 weeks? A blatant jobs for the boys girls story and the subsequent botched attempts to deflect that exposed a tiny part of the golden circle, will always stick in the craw of the half of the country that are struggling to keep a roof over their heads.
                                                                                                                I must admit I have noticed it more and more of late, a lot of apologists for the current government, but anyone openly criticizing the current government, for anything, is looked at as a daily mail/sun reading, SF voting knuckle dragger.

It seems to be the new virtue signaling, wokism to accept sloppy and underhanded dealing from elected officials, even if its a stamp they used for a personal letter its not on, its black and white, put yourself in that position and you must hold your self more accountable than joe public.

They dont give a flying fuck about anyone struggling or even understand how most people feel, so out of touch with the voting man its insane.

And its because of the apologists on their behalf they dont give a rats ass, they know well the alternative next GE is even more grim its a win win for them, Covneys chances of being next FG leader have taken a big hit of late.
                                                                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                  So, what did I miss?
                                                                                                                  Any chance of Facebook/WhatsApp paying the full fine to the data protection commissioner or will it go into legal purgatory for a few years before being reduced considerably?

Comment

Speaking of youtube, came across this guy recently, great BBQ channel, both building and cooking.
                                                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                      So, what did I miss?
                                                                                                                      Without quality free legal aid to guide them, half of IPB has gotten incarcerated in the last few months.

How's the growing family?

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

Any chance of Facebook/WhatsApp paying the full fine to the data protection commissioner or will it go into legal purgatory for a few years before being reduced considerably?
                                                                                                                        They'll pay. The DPC is part of a European network of Data Protection groups operating under EU law. Since the EU basically sets global terms on data usage, Facebook won't want to create an enforcement problem. They'll pay the fine.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Marco must dispatch his meat at the speed of light.

Sounds dodgier than I intended.
                                                                                                                          Only the mad Irish make online orders during holiday season!

They are working on a reduced schedule to service restaurants and delis in holiday areas everyone else in Italy has been closed for the last two weeks and for the rest of this week. This is a country where the restaurants close for lunch!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X