This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Looks pretty good, have noticed the one on capel st! Unfortunately dining partner doesnt like sushi... ffs. Reminds me i havent been to the Kimchi Hophouse in a while, thats on the maybe pile

Sprezzatura looks to have indoor options in Rathmines tomorrow night at 9:30 and 10pm

Saturday looks to be only available at 10pm

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

No, but maybe you can make it a condition of employment that they provide a vaccine cert? Need Kayroo (where is he anyway?)!
      Can't be changing peoples contracts on the fly obv but I believe employers can request an employees vaccine status in limited circumstances where it is mandated by a Risk \ Heath and Safety Assessment. You'd be talking about medical settings and care home and the like. In general, privacy legislation will mean it's a complete no-no for employers ask employees for medical information. You could probably make it a condition of employment for new starters.
      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
        Is this someone from this parish? Have no other clue as to why I followed their 1 video youtube channel

Lol. That's luckforsome.

Weird that you post that cos I met the mad cunt for wings and pints yesterday and I can confirm he ate them more gracefully than he did in that video.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Can't be changing peoples contracts on the fly obv but I believe employers can request an employees vaccine status in limited circumstances where it is mandated by a Risk \ Heath and Safety Assessment. You'd be talking about medical settings and care home and the like. In general, privacy legislation will mean it's a complete no-no for employers ask employees for medical information. You could probably make it a condition of employment for new starters.
          Yeah, that's what I suspected.

Does seem like a situation where individual rights are being placed above the greater good.

Although isn't demanding a covid cert to be allowed enter a pub basically the same thing? and how can it be consistent that the customers must have vaccine certs but the pub employees can't be asked for theirs?
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Sprezzatura looks to have indoor options in Rathmines tomorrow night at 9:30 and 10pm

Saturday looks to be only available at 10pm
            I thought they had closed closed.

I see too now there's a Sano in Ranelagh.

Comment

Does seem like a situation where individual rights are being placed above the greater good.

Although isn't demanding a covid cert to be allowed enter a pub basically the same thing? and how can it be consistent that the customers must have vaccine certs but the pub employees can't be asked for theirs?
              With such a high rate of acceptance there are 2 categories of people who are not taking the vaccine. People with some valid medical reason and people who you should just fire or leave working from home - not because of the health risks but because you will have to listen to them drone on about side effects ruining lunch breaks or can you imagine if they were on the desk next to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I too need a restaurant recomendation in and around The Dylan hotel.
                We won a 2 night stay two years and and can finally use it.
                Asador around the corner or Saba on Baggot Street

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I thought they had closed closed.

I see too now there's a Sano in Ranelagh.

No, they are defo open - Was only in the one in Camden Market last month, really good food and they also gave Five Lamps on tap which I like (although somebody seriously needs to sort out the Five Lamps advertising / marketing - It defo looks home made by a 3 year old )

Sano has gone into the old Milano's place (which used to be Café bar Deli back in the day). Haven't had a chance to get into it and also have no idea how Milano's stayed there for as long as they did as the place was always empty (even pre Covid and it's generally shit food all round)

We now have 4 pizza places in Ranelagh

Sano - I presume will be as good as the Temple Bar offering

Rita's - Is very good

Pizza Yard - Is a bit of a bizarre place - ate in it once ages ago and they seemed to be mad for different pizzas - like, "look at our chicken curry pizza!" but they also had a very decent wine list (for a pizza place) - I vividly remember Chateau Gloria, Chateau Du Tertre & Echo De Lynch Bages all on the list. Not sure if they've sorted out the nonsense pizza menu or not as haven't been back since and it always looks empty-ish when passing

4 star pizza - just does take away

Plus we have Base in Ballsbridge which is only a quick spin away

Think we might be at peak pizza!

Comment

I guess you already have a contract with your employees whereas you are forming a new contract of sorts every time a patron is granted entry to your establishment.

A better one for me is stadium capacity restrictions being dependent on what is happening on the grass.

Lads lashing into each other with sticks = 40,000

Band playing a few choons = 500

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                      I'm saying that all creatures aren't equal. And taking a stance that they are ties you in a bind quickly.
                      Aren't equal in what respects? Obviously all creatures are both different and similar in many respects in our minds. I would consider killing an elephant worse than killing a bluebottle, but it isn't easy to justify that if you consider that every creature has a right not to be deprived of their own life. I actually think that making those distinctions ties you in an ethical bind as much as not.

So since you feel strongly about it. Questions of suffering of methods aside, immediate kill, why is it worse to deprive a more complex creature their one and only life than a less complex one? And does this mean one should get less jail time for murdering a miserable idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post

Asador around the corner or Saba on Baggot Street
                        Asador really is one of the finest restaurants. DP would do well to get a spot there for Saturday i would think!
                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

With such a high rate of acceptance there are 2 categories of people who are not taking the vaccine. People with some valid medical reason and people who you should just fire or leave working from home - not because of the health risks but because you will have to listen to them drone on about side effects ruining lunch breaks or can you imagine if they were on the desk next to you.
                          Yeah got a hair cut earlier and foreign girl starts telling me how vaccine is bad and did i get it etc etc. Not best business practice i'd have thought.

Comment

Asador
                            Chop House
                            Mae in Ballsbridge but fully booked through October I believe

All walking distance from Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

Looks pretty good, have noticed the one on capel st! Unfortunately dining partner doesnt like sushi... ffs. Reminds me i havent been to the Kimchi Hophouse in a while, thats on the maybe pile
                              Just booked Kimchi Hophouse today as a coincidence. Was meeting up with a few folks in work next week, two new to the parish, and we were thinking there's no real point going to our workplace, when we could be exploring Dublin's finer establishments. What are the go-to dishes there? I saw something about beef sizzling something.
                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

What percentage voted for the nazis? Think it’s a bit odd that you can can question somebody’s medical history. Could you do it with say a woman in her 40s have you hit the menopause yet ? It’s a rocky road to widespread discrimination. If you are vaccinated why are you afraid of someone who is not will you take as many boosters as is asked.
                                Last edited by Guest; 26-08-21, 12:40.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Yeah got a hair cut earlier and foreign girl starts telling me how vaccine is bad and did i get it etc etc. Not best business practice i'd have thought.
                                  Did she at least push her tits into the back of your head during the cut?

Comment

Eastern European? Theres so many layers of bad thinking amongst most Eastern Europeans, not least (and I do realise the irony of singling out a group of ethnicities to point this criticism at) that they are nearly all racist, but also, and more acceptably due to past USSR transgressions, of complete distrust of most state institutions. There's individual exceptions obviously (including in my household), but as a general rule if rightwing extremism was to become popular in the EU it would most certainly be from the eastern block.

Comment

Did she at least push her tits into the back of your head during the cut?
                                      No? Are they supposed to? I feel short-changed now especially with the 20% price hike

Comment

FX Buckley's on Pembroke St and The Old Spot on Bath Ave aren't a million miles away - Decent boozers close by for a pre/post tipple as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Eastern European? Theres so many layers of bad thinking amongst most Eastern Europeans, not least (and I do realise the irony of singling out a group of ethnicities to point this criticism at) that they are nearly all racist, but also, and more acceptably due to past USSR transgressions, of complete distrust of most state institutions. There's individual exceptions obviously (including in my household), but as a general rule if rightwing extremism was to become popular in the EU it would most certainly be from the eastern block.
                                          Hasn't that already happened?

Hungary, Poland, Belarus, Russia itself...

The interesting thing is which countries haven't gone down that route. Such as Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia etc

Comment

I was going for a walk on the beach last night in meditative mood, and was reflecting on the the conversations people were having as they passed. Not the details of them, but just the fact of the seemingly unceasing compulsion people have to talk. Why is this? Is it just an extension of thinking which then turns into talking when with others? It seemed rather ridiculous to me, but then I was in a particularly insufferable meditative space.

Comment

Just booked Kimchi Hophouse today as a coincidence. Was meeting up with a few folks in work next week, two new to the parish, and we were thinking there's no real point going to our workplace, when we could be exploring Dublin's finer establishments. What are the go-to dishes there? I saw something about beef sizzling something.
                                              Going there tomorrow night, will hopefully have some recommendations for you after. Haven't eaten there in a while, always enjoyed my meals in the past though.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                I was going for a walk on the beach last night in meditative mood, and was reflecting on the the conversations people were having as they passed. Not the details of them, but just the fact of the seemingly unceasing compulsion people have to talk. Why is this? Is it just an extension of thinking which then turns into talking when with others? It seemed rather ridiculous to me, but then I was in a particularly insufferable meditative space.
                                                They were probably talking about you.

Comment

Interesting times, have been working in online poker for the last 16 years. Just about to start my final month of it.

Comment

Hasn't that already happened?

Hungary, Poland, Belarus, Russia itself...

The interesting thing is which countries haven't gone down that route. Such as Estonia, Latvia, Slovenia etc
                                                    That's 'good' Estonia whose finance minister until earlier this year once exclaimed “If you're black, go back” and “I want Estonia to be a white country”. You've a low bar if Estonia is making the good group!!

Ukraine, Czech Republic, Lithuania have all experimented with being in the same category as Poland. As in, they have electable coalitions, whether they are currently elected or not, of rightwing extremists.

But I meant more in terms of influencing the EU, so more the internal players. At the moment we have an EU majority in favour of liberalism, but if a few of the big countries in EU switch (Italy, ahem), then the Eastern block might swing in right behind a new rightwing agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                      Interesting times, have been working in online poker for the last 16 years. Just about to start my final month of it.
                                                      Whats next on the agenda??!

Comment

That's 'good' Estonia whose finance minister until earlier this year once exclaimed “If you're black, go back” and “I want Estonia to be a white country”. You've a low bar if Estonia is making the good group!!

Ukraine, Czech Republic, Lithuania have all experimented with being in the same category as Poland. As in, they have electable coalitions, whether they are currently elected or not, of rightwing extremists.

But I meant more in terms of influencing the EU, so more the internal players. At the moment we have an EU majority in favour of liberalism, but if a few of the big countries in EU switch (Italy, ahem), then the Eastern block might swing in right behind a new rightwing agenda.
                                                        What do you mean by 'players'? Poland is one of the biggest EU countries (5th biggest iirc)

Estonia does make the 'good group' (idiot people saying idiot things aside but you find them everywhere. Like Enda Kenny told a joke with the n-word as a punchline once.).

Poland and Hungary are doing their best to act as bad outliers and seem to actively trying to get themselves sanctioned by the EU, whose patience must surely be running out.

Comment

What do you mean by 'players'? Poland is one of the biggest EU countries (5th biggest iirc)

Estonia does make the 'good group' (idiot people saying idiot things aside but you find them everywhere. Like Enda Kenny told a joke with the n-word as a punchline once.).

Poland and Hungary are doing their best to act as bad outliers and seem to actively trying to get themselves sanctioned by the EU, whose patience must surely be running out.
                                                          Maybe. But its surprisingly close in all those countries, is more my point. They have this undercurrent of rightwing extremism that is quite unusual in Western Europe. And I'm not sure Endas joke was in any way comparable to literally saying "if you're black go back". That that block of countries could swing in behind a rightwing agenda much more comfortably then you could get Western European countries to. Even cutesy estonia could get behind the right types of lynching.

Comment

On the topic of Enda's joke, and not quite a joke. I was sitting with a colleague from India yesterday and remarked about how we tend to call this type of weather an Indian summer and whether that was known in India. Indeed, l'ete indienne was also the name of a September festival in France, so I thought it was quite widely known.

He said he'd never heard of it, and with a sinking feeling I looked up wiki. Oh dear. There's one to be aware of in front of any of your own Indian colleagues. Definitely don't mention Indian summers.

Comment

Whats next on the agenda??!
                                                              Going from the very weird world of online poker to the probably slightly less weird world of giant social media

Comment

I guess the casual intercourse, nay interlocution, is a bond validator or reinforcer.

Comment

No, but maybe you can make it a condition of employment that they provide a vaccine cert? Need Kayroo (where is he anyway?)!

I do find it somewhat funny that uptake rates of the vaccine in the US aren't where they should be and yet they just donated an additional 1 million doses to Vietnam (on top of 5 million already given) with certain lobby groups pushing for the vaccines to be given tp the garment and footwear workers as a priority.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with Vietnam making a shit ton of the runners, shoes and clothes Americans wear...
                                                                  Last edited by Lao Lao; 26-08-21, 13:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post

Going from the very weird world of online poker to the probably slightly less weird world of giant social media
                                                                    Oh lovely! Hopefully the perfect blend of Orange Mocha Frappocinos and hardcore coding.

Comment

Is it more the fact that people are extremely busy during the day with work, kids, etc so they don't get time to catch up with either friends or family so the walk along the beach is away from all the chores and a chance to catch up?

Comment

About 80% of the taxi drivers I've had have insisted that I don't need to wear a mask in their car, and in fact they'd prefer if I didn't. They're the few times I've worn one by choice rather than out of politeness.

Comment

Isn't a thing that the strength of a relationship can be measured by the comfortable pauses in conversion? Silence tends to make a lot of people uncomfortable. They'd probably prefer an electric shock.

Comment

About 80% of the taxi drivers I've had have insisted that I don't need to wear a mask in their car, and in fact they'd prefer if I didn't. They're the few times I've worn one by choice rather than out of politeness.
                                                                            check your PMs

Comment

Mick!

Ive seen you mention the vaccine boosters a few times now?

What is it about them that you think is objectionable?
                                                                              This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                              All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                              The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

What percentage voted for the nazis? Think it’s a bit odd that you can can question somebody’s medical history. Could you do it with say a woman in her 40s have you hit the menopause yet ? It’s a rocky road to widespread discrimination. If you are vaccinated why are you afraid of someone who is not will you take as many boosters as is asked.
                                                                                exactly these types of comments I would want to have to avoid on a daily basis.

If someone doesn’t want the jab but keeps that to themselves then fair enough - they tend to be very vocal about their reasons and fairly relentless on educating you.

Obv just based on the 2 people who I have told my wife that I am not going to meet up with again and she is on her own if she wants to go to meet them again.

Wasted a Saturday afternoon getting lectured about a vaccine I have already taken anyway and the guy isn’t even a good bbq cook and we had the kids and the car so didn’t even have a beer to dull the pain.

This experience may have biased my opinion.

Comment

Ya I booked it myself for Saturday.

The sushi is good but I'm all about the bibimbap or bokkumbap when I'm there. And some dumplings.

The menu is pretty big so I could be missing a trick!
                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Aren't equal in what respects? Obviously all creatures are both different and similar in many respects in our minds. I would consider killing an elephant worse than killing a bluebottle, but it isn't easy to justify that if you consider that every creature has a right not to be deprived of their own life. I actually think that making those distinctions ties you in an ethical bind as much as not.
                                                                                    Are not equal in the innate value of their existence. The idea that all creatures are equal is flawed.
                                                                                    I don’t see what ethical bind that ties me in. As for example you have agreed that killing an elephant is worse than a bluebottle.

I disagree that every creature has a right to not be deprived of life. At times they do, but I can thing of many examples where we kill animals according to our implied hierarchy. As the quote goes:

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

So since you feel strongly about it. Questions of suffering of methods aside, immediate kill, why is it worse to deprive a more complex creature their one and only life than a less complex one? And does this mean one should get less jail time for murdering a miserable idiot?
                                                                                    Where did I mention complexity? I don’t see how that’s a factor really.
                                                                                    A rat and and elephant are more or less equally complex, yet a shooting an elephant is seen as much worse as catching a rodent in a trap.
                                                                                    Some microscopic fleas are many times genetically complex than humans, but we barely acknowledge their existence let alone value them above humans.

Not sure how a miserable idiot could be worth less?
                                                                                    Maybe by complexity you meant intelligence. But that also falls apart. Octopuses are probably my the most intelligent creatures other than humans. Yet, they aren’t as protected or revered in the way seals, dolphins, and whales are.

Is bigger better?

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                      Mick!

Ive seen you mention the vaccine boosters a few times now?

What is it about them that you think is objectionable?
                                                                                      I find it amazing being honest that people willingly accept that we have to keep getting injected with an experimental vaccine. I got my two jabs pzizer not been sick since 2003 had a viral thing roaring temp missed the Christmas dinner. How many boosters are needed any other vaccine is a one off finito. If I don’t get a booster do I then get relegated into the division of unvaccinated. The abortion lobbyists were hooping abs Hollering when it became lawful to suck and scrape a living healthy human out of a woman her body her choice they said. People who choose not to get the vaccine because of scientific evidence of adverse reactions which get very little publicity yet an unvaccinated mother who died after giving birth is plastered over every paper every social media outlet with her husband to get jabbed. Think people jabbing there kids and boasting about it are a disgrace. Very little harm to children studies science has shown. Vaccine reactions are a thing bit of heart inflammation. The goalposts narrative keeps changing like how exactly are deaths from covid reported ? I have friends who work in hospitals not the janitors who have great stories afraid to speak publicly or they will be out of a job. The mental damage this has done is huge have some friends wives and partners afraid to leave the house full on brainwashed complient will do anything that is advised keep jabbing me till I’m a pin cushion fuck off.

Comment

exactly these types of comments I would want to have to avoid on a daily basis.

If someone doesn’t want the jab but keeps that to themselves then fair enough - they tend to be very vocal about their reasons and fairly relentless on educating you.

Obv just based on the 2 people who I have told my wife that I am not going to meet up with again and she is on her own if she wants to go to meet them again.

Wasted a Saturday afternoon getting lectured about a vaccine I have already taken anyway and the guy isn’t even a good bbq cook and we had the kids and the car so didn’t even have a beer to dull the pain.

This experience may have biased my opinion.
                                                                                        Could the wife not drive there’s two sides both as boring as each other. Both sides tend to think they know it all when both sides clearly do not. People who have been jabbed can have a smugness abs oh you can still get Covid but won’t be as sick spoken like they are a world authority on the bloody thing. It’s been in our faces 18 months now bombarded so people have strong opinions it’s not a great topic to discuss. Hitting Connemara family have a holiday home last of the good weather fishing as the sun rises pillage a few lobster

Comment

[QUOTE=Sickpuppy;n1700980]

Could the wife not drive there’s two sides both as boring as each other. Both sides tend to think they know it all when both sides clearly do not. People who have been jabbed can have a smugness abs oh you can still get Covid but won’t be as sick spoken like they are a world authority on the bloody thing. It’s been in our faces 18 months now bombarded so people have strong opinions it’s not a great topic to discuss. Hitting Connemara family have a holiday home last of the good weather fishing as the sun rises pillage a few lobster pots.

Comment

Mellor I was asking about your ethical opinions, not whether people have a hierarchy or not of valuing creatures. They do, and it tells you nothing about the reasons that they do.

Why do you think it's okay to kill some creatures and not others? I'm asking an ethical question, not wondering if you or others do or don't hold that view.

When you say that creatures have different innate values of existence, what does that mean? If the sense of the value of their existence resides in a human mind, then in what way is it innate to the creature itself?

I mentioned complexity as I imagined you might think that the quality of life a more complex being could have would make an ethical difference to depriving them of that life. To quote John Stuart Mill:

It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question
                                                                                            But if you really did just mean that bigger animals are more worthy of living absent their emotional, intellectual, and social complexity then why do you hold that view?

Comment

I was in the fair capital a couple months ago and one particular driver wasn't wearing one. He was coughing, sneezing and spluttering the whole of the (short) journey. He quipped to me, "It's ok, i don't have it"

I didn't say anything, and probably should have and/or exited the vehicle and/or reported him..... but what kind of moron thinks its ok to do that in these times regardless of whether he has "it" or not?

Comment

Bill Burr has the anti-vac thing sorted.

Comment

NM
                                                                                                  Last edited by Solksjaer!; 26-08-21, 18:16.

Comment

May have over played my hand on requesting passes for poker festivals.

​​​​​​Our Beloved Supreme Leader
                                                                                                    has just asked if I'd reach her how to play
                                                                                                    ..... so that she could join me in Galway .....

HELP!!!

Comment

Just on the booster shots thing. I get a flu shot every year, and a tetanus shot every 10 years. If my GP recommends getting this one every 6 months I'll be happy to get that too.
                                                                                                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sickpuppy;n1700981]
                                                                                                        Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Could the wife not drive there’s two sides both as boring as each other. Both sides tend to think they know it all when both sides clearly do not. People who have been jabbed can have a smugness abs oh you can still get Covid but won’t be as sick spoken like they are a world authority on the bloody thing. It’s been in our faces 18 months now bombarded so people have strong opinions it’s not a great topic to discuss. Hitting Connemara family have a holiday home last of the good weather fishing as the sun rises pillage a few lobster pots.
                                                                                                        Your right on it being now the most tedious discussion topic and the sooner it stops being the main story in the media the better.

Long standing unwritten deal with the misses is that whoever the main friend is gets to drink and if it’s a proper 50-50 it’s probably going to selfishly be me.

Enjoy the holidays tho.

Comment

Oh,those US deaths in Afghan today are going to be a political clusterfuck.

Comment

Oh,those US deaths in Afghan today are going to be a political clusterfuck.
                                                                                                            Tough one for Biden. How do you respond?

Comment

Not much you can do, but Trump will probably make a massive deal of it next year like he did with something in Libya.

Comment

10000s of thousands at the gates of the airport no screening or security at all. Think Biden has got an easy ride on this one imagine Trump was still president and this was happening he would be called every derogatory name under the sun but sleepy joe is a great lad. I don’t know what they could have done in the eyes of ordinary Americans evough service men and women have been killed or maimed.

Comment

I was just signed of with a stay safe by someone just there. Feels like happy new year salutation on the 26th Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                                                                                    Just on the booster shots thing. I get a flu shot every year, and a tetanus shot every 10 years. If my GP recommends getting this one every 6 months I'll be happy to get that too.
                                                                                                                    Yeah this. Why can't we just trust experts anymore?

Fucking Facebook.
                                                                                                                    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

FX Buckley's on Pembroke St and The Old Spot on Bath Ave aren't a million miles away - Decent boozers close by for a pre/post tipple as well.
                                                                                                                      Was in Fire today. The steak there is far superior to FXB.
                                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Watching Eternal Sunshine again. Highly recommend it.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Yeah this. Why can't we just trust experts anymore?

Fucking Facebook.
                                                                                                                          It's a losing battle
                                                                                                                          ive given up . No point , people have their own precious minds made up

Reminds me of the old time racist Engerlish joke where a PADDY was captured by a tribe in Africa who told him his skin would be used to make a canoe after they'd eaten him . He starts stabbing himself. Nobody's making a canoe out of me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X