This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Just read further in the report and he actually says he explicitly disagrees with the contracted value. ffs. I'm guessing that might be the end of that. I didn't realise that was possible.
    Ha, sounds like the opposite problem to what I was saying!

Comment

Typically the surveyor just relies on the market having worked perfectly in determining the correct value of the property; if there was a bidding war and the end price is €XXXk, well, that's the current value of the property! When it recently looked like we were going to get that place in Stepaside by paying the €XXk extra the sellers wanted following the bidding war which we won, the surveyor refused to sign off on the new price, because the new 'price' was disconnected from the market. As it turns out, the sellers of that house are back on the market again looking for more again than they asked us to pay 2nd time around!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
        Typically the surveyor just relies on the market having worked perfectly in determining the correct value of the property; if there was a bidding war and the end price is €XXXk, well, that's the current value of the property! When it recently looked like we were going to get that place in Stepaside by paying the €XXk extra the sellers wanted following the bidding war which we won, the surveyor refused to sign off on the new price, because the new 'price' was disconnected from the market. As it turns out, the sellers of that house are back on the market again looking for more again than they asked us to pay 2nd time around!
        Oh fuck. So it has become a thing? Shite.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

are you going to sit out for a while and pray for sense to descend in 2022?

(basically what we have done on retrofit side)
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I am waiting now I think. I imagine anything I want will just get bid up heavily:

Most recent ones I was looking at:
            Artane:
            29 Maryfield Crescent, Artane, Dublin 5, 3 Bed, asking price €445,000, brought to market by PropertyTeam Lappin Estates, Residential - 4521735 (rated C2)

Stoneybatter:

Comment

A friend was telling me a story last night after football about how his neighbour had come over to him in hysterics saying her boyfriend wasn't breathing and could he help. He went over and started doing CPR for 5 mins, until the ambulance got there but the guy was already dead. He didn't know but the girl had been away for the weekend and come back to him like that, so he'd been dead for some time, just watching a match with the remote still in his hand.

Friends been quite shook up after that and having dreams about it. Anyway, he gets home and checks the guys Facebook and turns out it's a friend of mine, not a close one but one I knew from gaming (like counterstrike and he had an esports site), boards.ie (worked for them too) and boardgames meetups for 15 years, poor guy and his gf, just 35. Really didn't expect to hear the story and then find out I knew him after, was weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                I am waiting now I think. I imagine anything I want will just get bid up heavily:

Most recent ones I was looking at:
                Artane:
                https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-5/4521735

Stoneybatter:
                https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4514539
                https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...blin-7/4513520
                Artane is a traffic blackspot imo (solely based on my journeys over there to buy alcohol from McHughs)

Edit: just looked at the two Stoneybatters, they look ideal for a man of your ilk? Both look to have great jobs done on them.
                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 18-08-21, 16:37.

Comment

A friend was telling me a story last night after football about how his neighbour had come over to him in hysterics saying her boyfriend wasn't breathing and could he help. He went over and started doing CPR for 5 mins, until the ambulance got there but the guy was already dead. He didn't know but the girl had been away for the weekend and come back to him like that, so he'd been dead for some time, just watching a match with the remote still in his hand.

Friends been quite shook up after that and having dreams about it. Anyway, he gets home and checks the guys Facebook and turns out it's a friend of mine, not a close one but one I knew from gaming (like counterstrike and he had an esports site), boards.ie (worked for them too) and boardgames meetups for 15 years, poor guy and his gf, just 35. Really didn't expect to hear the story and then find out I knew him after, was weird.
                  He seems to have been the one person doing all the background coding on boards.ie for the last month, has to have been stressful.
                  sabre0001 or something like that on boards, don't remember having any interaction with him.

Comment

Saw that about Mark, very sad, RIP thread for him here for those incliced to post their condolences

We have some sad news to tell you today. Our colleague Mark died very suddenly over the weekend. We are in shock at this news and are all devastated.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                      Edit: just looked at the two Stoneybatters, they look ideal for a man of your ilk? Both look to have great jobs done on them.
                      One of which surely proudly boasts Ireland's gayest staircase.

Comment

E9Fcfi-WUAcaAyk?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                          The journal really made a balls of this

The footer draws a straight line between the stories
                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Sean Lock died today of cancer. Wonderful comedian.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                              His partner looks to have ordered an alien.

Comment

Just don't really see them as the UN/League of Nations/Kosovo types.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Think I pm'd you that ages ago when you asked me about a well?

I'm only now emotionally comfortable to be public about it. 30 years
                                  Would you do a well now CC? It would be good to get this going again

Comment

Originally posted by The Istanbul View Post
                                    Would you do a well now CC? It would be good to get this going again
                                    No, I've never even read one.
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

These are on my list for this year:
                                      Fairbank, John King
                                      China: A New History

Fairbank, John King
                                      The Chinese World Order: Traditional China's Foreign Relations,

Kissinger, Henry
                                      On China

Lao Tzu Tao Te Ching
                                      I couldn't get the Fairbank or Kissinger book on Audible (latter is available in US but not here) so I have plumped for The Fall and Rise of China from The Great Courses on Audible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                        Seemed like a good guy, what's the story with what is being insinuated in the article, why he stood down?
                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                          Just don't really see them as the UN/League of Nations/Kosovo types.
                                          Ah. You didn't think to check that they are currently already one of the main contributors of peacekeeping forces to missions in the UN?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

I couldn't get the Fairbank or Kissinger book on Audible (latter is available in US but not here) so I have plumped for The Fall and Rise of China from The Great Courses on Audible.
                                            ffs. Between you, Denny, me, Lao Lao having a Chinese name, and HJ trotting out random Taiwanese books, we are going to be intolerably well informed when we next talk China.

Comment

David Hall,
                                              who heads up the homeless charity in question was one of the regulars in the Fitzs big PLO game.

He was also the prime mover in an organisation
                                              which offered help to people in mortgage arrears.

Made his money building up
                                              an independent ambulance service.

Comment

hmmm, hangovers. Haven't had one of you for a while although was earned in a good cause.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                  Sean Lock died today of cancer. Wonderful comedian.
                                                  Never struck me as 'A comedian', just a really witty guy who effortlessly fit into those panel shows. Potentially that's a mark of someone who's genuinely a good comedian?
                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 19-08-21, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

Never struck me as 'A' comedian, just a really witty guy who effortlessly fit into those panel shows. Potentially that's a mark of someone who's genuinely a good comedian?
                                                    Yeah!

Comment

Comment

The lady next door, over the joys of putting the bins out (ah the ever-exotic life of the surburbanite), told me the mystery fruit are indeed greengages and that the previous owner used to make jam with them and give her a few jars. Having had more than a few jars myself the previous evening, I didn't pick up the unspoken insinuation that it was expected of me that I should continue this practice and she would be awaiting the imminent arrival of her greengage jam tribute.

Although she also claims not to hear the racket my kids make, so she is clearly an accomplished liar and not to be trusted.

Comment

Maybe greengage jam causes deafness.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                                            David Hall,
                                                            who heads up the homeless charity in question was one of the regulars in the Fitzs big PLO game.

He was also the prime mover in an organisation
                                                            which offered help to people in mortgage arrears.

Made his money building up
                                                            an independent ambulance service.
                                                            Does anyone else read these as if they were poems?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                              Maybe greengage jam causes deafness.
                                                              The thick plottens: apparently in France they are known as 'Reines-Claudes' which is a far cooler name.

We need some shraaap insight here, this could be the new mustard.

31579-0w470h470_Greengage_Plum_Jam_From_France.jpg

Comment

With the drepressing realization of this is my life now, does anyone have a vacuum cleaner recomendation?
                                                                Just need something for hall, stair and landing and wooden floors.
                                                                I want a dyson but the cost is eye watering. I'm also still sore 4 years later that I snagged a bargain dyson on amazon black friday and they reneaged on the deal.
                                                                So anytime I see it's current price, I lament that I can't get it at the price I thought I snagged all those years ago.
                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

are you going to sit out for a while and pray for sense to descend in 2022?

(basically what we have done on retrofit side)
                                                                  Hmm, we are still trying to sell (lost our first prospective buyer when our purchase fell through, fair enough) and are still viewing places ready to buy as well, as long as we can find something we like within our budget and not go for something that is ridiculously over-priced in our view. Since we're trading up, assuming we get a strong price for our current house, 'over paying' on the other side isn't as big a concern as it would be for a first-time buyer. People trading down are obviously in the best position here!

In general, we're still looking at slightly less central locations (Cabinteely, Sandyford, Stepaside) and getting a 150sq m-200sq m house, rather than going to Blackrock or Ranelagh and aiming for a 120sq m house at the same asking price.

I saw someone on boards mention that they've tendered for a moderate-sized extension in Dublin, and the tenders came back in the €350K range, up hugely on past years - seems mad. Not sure sense is a year away though, hard to tell.

Comment

A little piece of Sean Lock at his finest
                                                                    Subscribe to E4 for more: https://bit.ly/2OUhyfNWatch the FULL episode on All 4: https://bit.ly/2oNpwezJimmy Carr hosts a hilarious game of 'Carrot in a Box'...

Comment

Hmmm. I'm deffo on 3 (or more) peoples ignore list

Comment

The thick plottens: apparently in France they are known as 'Reines-Claudes' which is a far cooler name.

We need some shraaap insight here, this could be the new mustard.

31579-0w470h470_Greengage_Plum_Jam_From_France.jpg
                                                                        Reine Claude are à type of plum, and you make amazing jam with them. My aunt used to make some every year. Delish!

Comment

I saw someone on boards mention that they've tendered for a moderate-sized extension in Dublin, and the tenders came back in the €350K range, up hugely on past years - seems mad. Not sure sense is a year away though, hard to tell.
                                                                          That is indeed the trend. Hard to know if those prices are 'real' in terms of the underlying costs, labour and builders profit or if the builders are so chockful of work, that they are just wildly over-quoting.

It's a tough one. Very difficult to justify (for example) spending 350k to do up a 750k house. Just sell the damn house and go buy a 900k house instead.

Comment

Not quite as sad as DP but I too am seeking a BBV recommendation.

Want to get a new dog, now that a decent period of mourning for El Stuntdog (RIP) has elapsed.

She was a westie - definitely do not want another one as they are a pain in the ass, although very lovable.
                                                                            Ideally would like to get a medium sized dog this time, good temperment.
                                                                            Not as big as a labrador but not some stupid breed like a sausage dog..

So two questions:
                                                                            1. what breed to go for?
                                                                            2. any tips on breeders?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                              With the drepressing realization of this is my life now, does anyone have a vacuum cleaner recomendation?
                                                                              I want a dyson but the cost is eye watering. I'm also still sore 4 years later that I snagged a bargain dyson on amazon black friday and they reneaged on the deal.
                                                                              So anytime I see it's current price, I lament that I can't get it at the price I thought I snagged all those years ago.
                                                                              Hands down the only one to consider is the Shark. Like there are fan clubs of it.

Shop local or online for unbeatable deals on home appliances, technology and more with DID Electrical, 23 stores nationwide. A Guaranteed Irish company, established 1968.

Apparently the lights are something to behold.

Comment

Want to get a new dog, now that a decent period of mourning for El Stuntdog (RIP) has elapsed.

She was a westie - definitely do not want another one as they are a pain in the ass, although very lovable.

So two questions:
                                                                                1. what breed to go for?
                                                                                2. any tips on breeders?
                                                                                Isn't it, like extensions, almost impossible to book a dog these days? Massive massive waiting lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Isn't it, like extensions, almost impossible to book a dog these days? Massive massive waiting lists.
                                                                                  Probably slightly easier to get a dog than a reasonably priced builder

I figure if I can delight the family with one and disappoint them with the other, then I'm ahead of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Reine Claude are à type of plum, and you make amazing jam with them. My aunt used to make some every year. Delish!
                                                                                    And then you have Mirabelle, another one that I don't really know what it is. Also plums?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                      Suck it up and get a Dyson. Mrs Lao Lao absolutely loves the one we have.

Comment

wait till Jan when these guys are heaving with post-lockdown, post-Christmas 'rejects' and save one imo https://www.dogstrust.ie/rehoming/

Comment

So two questions:
                                                                                          1. what breed to go for?
                                                                                          2. any tips on breeders?
                                                                                          1 get a rescue dog
                                                                                          2 get a rescue dog

Puppy farms are grim

Comment

Last week I had mentioned that we viewed a house, 82 Holywell, that was in the middle of an insane bidding war having seen a bid of €950K (€552/sq ft if you very charitably accept it is the size advertised, which it just is not)?

To show the disfunction in the market, here's a house that we viewed and has also seen some bidding, as of Monday it was also at €950K: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...dublin/4521367

That's €377/sq ft for a house in a different class than the first one, even if many might not really like the location as much. I think the higher asking price turns off many viewers. But even still, imagine paying the same price for the first house when you could have the second instead!

Comment

And then you have Mirabelle, another one that I don't really know what it is. Also plums?
                                                                                              Yep. If I remember correctly, a much smaller variety of plum, slightly more acidic, and even more delish in jams

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

1 get a rescue dog
                                                                                                2 get a rescue dog

Puppy farms are grim
                                                                                                Has anyone from here done this? I have heard secondhand tales of people getting horrendously maltreated dogs via this route.
                                                                                                Cruel and all as it may sound, I don't have enough time in my life to dedicate more of it to rehabilitating an adult dog.

i.e. I want a puppy

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                  but then you are enriching Dyson, who is a prick of the highest order

Comment

Last week I had mentioned that we viewed a house, 82 Holywell, that was in the middle of an insane bidding war having seen a bid of €950K (€552/sq ft if you very charitably accept it is the size advertised, which it just is not)?

To show the disfunction in the market, here's a house that we viewed and has also seen some bidding, as of Monday it was also at €950K: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/br...dublin/4521367

That's €377/sq ft for a house in a different class than the first one, even if many might not really like the location as much. I think the higher asking price turns off many viewers. But even still, imagine paying the same price for the first house when you could have the second instead!
                                                                                                    oozing style and sophistication
                                                                                                    when did oozing develop positive connotations? Oozing is not good, you don't want things, or people, that ooze. Fuck Off.

Comment

You're trying to sell a gaff for the guts of a million and it has....:

Gas fried central heating
                                                                                                      Fuck Off

Comment

I'm surprised Hitch hasn't been telling us about a gloom filter yet - https://www.wired.co.uk/article/bbc-...ws_wired_daily

Comment

but then you are enriching Dyson, who is a prick of the highest order
                                                                                                          You need to weigh it up.

Never having to do the hoovering ever again as Mrs Lao Lao loves the Dyson v's enriching a prick.

It's an easy pick for me.

Comment

Has anyone from here done this? I have heard secondhand tales of people getting horrendously maltreated dogs via this route.
                                                                                                            Cruel and all as it may sound, I don't have enough time in my life to dedicate more of it to rehabilitating an adult dog.

i.e. I want a puppy
                                                                                                            Plenty of puppies to be rescued also.

Couldnt recommend going to dogs trust highly enough over buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Plenty of puppies to be rescued also.

Couldnt recommend going to dogs trust highly enough over buying one.
                                                                                                              Ah, I always thought they were for adult dogs that had been abandoned. Didn't realise puppies were in the mix. tx

Comment

i.e. I want a puppy
                                                                                                                Plenty of puppies and young dogs looking for rehoming. Rescue dogs are usually rehabilitated before rehoming anyway, and they would never give a dog with issues if children involved. That's how it is in the UK anyway, but can't imagine it would be any different in Ireland.

Comment

i.e. I want a puppy
                                                                                                                  our dag is a rescue, 9years old now, was rescued at 9months. 9months is a long time to miss training etc - so definitely spent a long time trying to curb some tendencies (still haven't quite got there). At the very very least go and check out some of the dogs and see what you think. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something that would suit your home and far better to take one out of a rescue than pay for one imo. If you're clear enough that you're looking for a dog that's either "young enough to be trained into our house" or "trained enough to be in our home already" I'm sure you'll still have choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

our dag is a rescue, 9years old now, was rescued at 9months. 9months is a long time to miss training etc - so definitely spent a long time trying to curb some tendencies (still haven't quite got there). At the very very least go and check out some of the dogs and see what you think. I'd be surprised if you didn't find something that would suit your home and far better to take one out of a rescue than pay for one imo. If you're clear enough that you're looking for a dog that's either "young enough to be trained into our house" or "trained enough to be in our home already" I'm sure you'll still have choices.
                                                                                                                    Yep, will do this.

Won't bring kids or else we'll go home with 87 assorted mutts.

Comment

We did fuck up training El Stuntdog as she was only a few months old when Child #1 arrived and training fell off the agenda, so probably wouldn't be much of a shock as to someone who had a well-mannered, trained dog anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                                                                                                                        Miele or gtfo
                                                                                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

We did fuck up training El Stuntdog as she was only a few months old when Child #1 arrived and training fell off the agenda, so probably wouldn't be much of a shock as to someone who had a well-mannered, trained dog anyway.
                                                                                                                          My experience mother in law got a dog off a single old man who died was not very friendly annoying barking the whole time pissed everywhere but they still loved it. Friend got a rescue jack russell cross grand dog not over friendly him and partners first dog so love it anyway.Last dog my dad got was. 9 month old ted setter she was totally wild very thin but settled well and was a great pet companion. The thing with a rescue you never know what they have been through. Looked at a dog Sunday in Wicklow mountains on a farm place was immaculate 6 pups all very friendly very well fed abs the mother was there and had a friendly temperament. Collecting in two weeks please recommend some Spanish sounding names. I think with a puppy you can mould it to the family’s needs I’d prefer a new dog then a second hand one that’s just me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X