This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I described a bank as 'crappy' in the newspaper a few months ago and ...

SPOILER
    ... apparently that equates to expertise, as my morning was spent as an invited expert for the competition authorities about whether the crappy bank should be allowed to merge with a larger crappy bank. It just goes to show - crap sells.
    I hope you looked a suitably large bribe from crappy bank to say the right thing about crappy bank.

'<Crappy Bank> is a wonderful, forward thinking institution whose executives think of nothing but the overall betterment of the entire nation'

'why thank you Expert Man'

'my pleasure' (counts large roll of cash surreptitiously)
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

think it's more a case of my earlier post..I just don't care enough one way or the other

There was a time I'd shill until I was almost banned, but it's far too warm for that kind of strenuous activity. You guys don't know how lucky you are to only be at 25-28 degrees
      I was talking to somebody in my Italian office yesterday and was telling them about our heat wave.

Her : How hot is it?

Me : It's 27 degrees!!!

Her : It's currently 41 here.

Me : Oh.....

Comment

If it's the right <Crappy Bank> I am thinking of, its CEO was my first boss in my first 'proper job'. Nice guy.

Comment

Bastards
          WATERFORD County Council are advising people not to swim in the sea in Tramore due to dangerously high levels of Dubs in the water, WWN has learned. The public has been urged not to enter the …

Comment

I've been to funerals that were more fun than this opening ceremony.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
              I was talking to somebody in my Italian office yesterday and was telling them about our heat wave.

The difference is they are set up for it! The clothes sold in Italy are lighter, they landscape to provide shade, their houses are designed to get cool breezes blowing through. Any decent public building has air con.

Having said all that having attended a wedding in Rome in July a number of years ago and seeking respite by jumping into a lake after the ceremony we have nothing to complain about really....

‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                Apropos of nothing, purely because I'm sitting here having a beer and killing an hour (it's a hard life)

I have found that I post very little over the last few years and it's progressively reducing. That in itself isn't an issue obviously, though the fact that it expands into general interactions may well be.

​​​​​​I've found that as I age I find that actually I don't have any particularly insightful opinions on things, or better, I've no opinions that I feel the need to espouse to others and no interest in bringing people around to my way of thinking.

I read here a lot obviously but very rarely feel the need to chime in as regardless of whether I agree or disagree I'm perfectly happy not having my opinions validated or criticised. I'm not concerned about criticism but often I'm just 'not bothered' in having a back and forth.

Perhaps part of it is that being away a lot of my frames of reference aren't valid or relevant to what's happening there but I think a greater part of it is that I just have no interest in swaying or being swayed by others.

maybe I'm just getting very lazy and need a kick to re-engage myself

​​​​​​
                I post a lot less myself but still read through (although I must say I'm mainly skipping over the scamdemic stuff).

I think as you get older you give less of a fuck about what others think and just don't have the passion to try and change other peoples minds anymore. It definitely means you are also less likely to have your own thoughts/views changed as you don't stick them out there for challenge and debate. You've taken an independent path on lots of things in life so the natural conclusion of that is to care less and less about what others are doing...back in the day you might debate your ideas (retiring early etc.) but at this stage what's the point? If people want your view you'll share it but otherwise you just keep it to yourself...

Anyway definitely not just a you thing Gary imo...
                ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I had to fill in some forms for the work pension plan that increases the death cover to the max - quite impressive how much I am worth dead (vs how poor I am alive).

Between death in service lump sum, the value of the pension itself and the life cover for the mortgage, there'd be approaching 1.5m in lump sum cash benefit, then a decent spousal pension starting immediately too. Definitely not walking close to any cliff edges on the holidays.
                  She'd also get the widows pension from the state. A lot of people forget that.

Don't forget to have a good inheritance plan for the kids if ye both go under the bus. Even with 3 kids you wouldn't be long hitting the limits...

Thresholds, rates and aggregation rules for calculating Capital Acquisitions Tax

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

She'd also get the widows pension from the state. A lot of people forget that.
                    I kinda assumed that was an OAP but clearly not.

Might have to blunt all the knives in the kitchen now.

Comment

I kinda assumed that was an OAP but clearly not.

Might have to blunt all the knives in the kitchen now.
                      Yeah most assume the same. When working out what level of life cover you might need people very rarely realise that this benefit is there.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post

Yeah most assume the same. When working out what level of life cover you might need people very rarely realise that this benefit is there.
                        I'm actually now wondering did my mother not know this and miss out on it for a number of years...must check.

Comment

Did your dad die young?

I do realise it's a very personal question, so treat as you wish.

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

O9qpuwDl.jpg

The humidity does make it feel a lot hotter here than a lot of places though.

Comment

Did your dad die young?

I do realise it's a very personal question, so treat as you wish.
                              Not 'young', mid-fifties. Turns out that smoking 60 fags a day isn't good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

O9qpuwDl.jpg

The humidity does make it feel a lot hotter here than a lot of places though.
                                How do Norway, Sweden and Finland have records of breaking 35, while we don't, even though they are further north?
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The Atlantic Ocean and the prevailing keeps us mild.

Comment

Not 'young', mid-fifties. Turns out that smoking 60 fags a day isn't good for you.
                                    My old man barely got past 40. I mostly remember cigarette ashes , yellow fingers and howls of pain. Thank fk I took heed .

Comment

SPOILER

Im up for the Lions.

Comment

27 degrees isn’t that warm lads. Im sure drink you’ve all been scorched out of it on the beer in Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                          27 degrees isn’t that warm lads. Im sure drink you’ve all been scorched out of it on the beer in Spain.
                                          certainly in Dublin, the humidity makes it much worse

Comment

It's more how well the houses retain the heat here, and the outside temperature at night, which means that even with all windows open during the evening/night, most rooms are still around 25 when the family is trying to sleep. Not good for those of us with smaller kids...

At least it's not as bad as three summer's ago, the weeks of even higher temperatures. Our oldest was a few months old then, it was so hot at night that no-one had a good night's sleep for the entire summer. I was so angry at the fuckin' sun, I would have punched it if I could!

(BTW cancel 'ionapaul death pool' for now, turned off the electricity, messed around with the wires during the install of the smart heating unit, didn't get electrocuted )

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                              27 degrees isn’t that warm lads. Im sure you’ve all been scorched out of it on the beer in Spain.
                                              It's different on holidays though when you don't actually have to do anything at all and are in a coastal resort. 30+ is perfectly fine then.

Comment

Dunno if anyone's been watching the StarSports video content on YouTube where they interview pro punters.

The Terry Ramsden one is great (though I'd say he's an insufferable knob mostly - great stories though) and really liked the Richard Hassell one on greyhound punting.

Would love to hear from a greyhound aficionado on what they thought of his story and how he made it work for him - do we have anyone on here anymore who's into the dogs or are they all gone (Arazi? Rag2Gar?)

b.

Comment

Rant

Got off early today woo hoo..went for a walk with the dog around the Blessington lakes, they are building a greenway at the moment which is going to be very nice btw. Nice job when it is all done.

Honestly the amount of rubbish in the car park, on the beach is actually insane. Walked by x3 pretty standard (prob Aldi or Lidl) camping chairs and 1 broken one en route. Picked 3 working ones on the way back.

Honestly could have filled 4 large black bins with bbqs, bottles and food waste on the way back.

Got back to the car park and couldn't get out, sorry drive a bigger diesel 1.7 guzzler jeep/MPV and couldn't get out of the car park as blocked in. All D regs but you already know.

Threw a large rock from the beach through the drivers side window of the car that was blocking me in and let the handbrake down and moved it to block another car.

#Sorry
                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                                    SPOILER

Im up for the Lions.
                                                    Would you be better off cashing out (if possible?) And reinvest on lions, given the odds are better now
                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

filedata/fetch?id=1698295&d=1627054154&type=thumb
                                                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                                      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

The map of Europe catches me out every time. If I had to draw Europe on a blank canvas I'd be way off.
                                                        Things like the east coast of Scotland being so remote from the next bit of land, bits of France being further west than Belfast or Cornwall, Portugal and the bit of Spain above it being further west than Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                                          Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                          Rant

Got off early today woo hoo..went for a walk with the dog around the Blessington lakes, they are building a greenway at the moment which is going to be very nice btw. Nice job when it is all done.

Honestly the amount of rubbish in the car park, on the beach is actually insane. Walked by x3 pretty standard (prob Aldi or Lidl) camping chairs and 1 broken one en route. Picked 3 working ones on the way back.

Honestly could have filled 4 large black bins with bbqs, bottles and food waste on the way back.

Got back to the car park and couldn't get out, sorry drive a bigger diesel 1.7 guzzler jeep/MPV and couldn't get out of the car park as blocked in. All D regs but you already know.

Threw a large rock from the beach through the drivers side window of the car that was blocking me in and let the handbrake down and moved it to block another car.

#Sorry
                                                          These posts are linked.
                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                            Rant

#Sorry
                                                            Remember one of our Reps parked up in Cork City for lunch in a spot where nobody pays and displays. He forgot his company car was a D reg (even though he is Cork through and through). Came back 90 mins later and his car gone. Had been towed. Other 15 or so C Reg cars still all sitting there not a bother. Culchies do hate the poor Dubs sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Remember one of our Reps parked up in Cork City for lunch in a spot where nobody pays and displays. He forgot his company car was a D reg (even though he is Cork through and through). Came back 90 mins later and his car gone. Had been towed. Other 15 or so C Reg cars still all sitting there not a bother. Culchies do hate the poor Dubs sometimes.
                                                              It's the price we pay for not being a culchie. Happy to pay it.

My pet hate is litter . Was outside a drivethru Supermac enjoying the nosh ( the one in Trim) . 4 Feckers beside us eating and throwing the bags out the window. (Meath hoors)
                                                              I have having an inner meltdown. When driving home I felt like I left the scene of a crime and did nothing. Next time . Bet some culchies thought we did it.

Comment

it hit 52 one day in Oman when I was there, incredible sensation to feel it. Its basically just a matter of getting from air conditioned car into air conditioned room as quick as possible. All the official temperature gauges fail to record anything over 49 because all work is supposed to shut down for the day if it hits 50 so they don't let it happen.
                                                                I walked about 200M to a pharmacy in it, was ok until I got inside the door of the shop and on hitting the cold air the sweat suddenly ran out of me so that I was soaked through.
                                                                Another mad memory that comes back to me from those trips to Muscat is that everywhere you'd go in the hotel there was piped music playing Big Tom and an assortment of Country 'n Irish shite 24/7, bizarre!

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

There's only been two places I've had people try and find out where I'm from for the sole reason of trying to start a fight, down the country and Scotland. Country folk are in the same bracket as the Scots and that's not a place you want to be.

On the heat, if I had no AC, I'd get myself one of the portable units with an exhaust out the window. €500-600, run it before going to bed (as they will make noise) to cool the room down, even if it's just for a few weeks a year it would be worth it. Most on here have probably dumped that on a bet and not had a second thought about it.

I'll file it under the Irish hate being comfortable and enjoy the complaining too much, I think I brought it up before, it rains year round and a tiny percentage have adequate rain gear, soaking wet clothes over carrying an extra little bag for you gear.
                                                                  Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 23-07-21, 17:47.

Comment

It's universal. Spent all my summers as a kid near Wicklow town, was a running joke that the only cars that ever got tickets/clamped were the D regs

Comment

They have a few pure mile signs on stretches in the mountains, obviously stirs a limbic response somewhere deep in the brain of neanderthal scum of the "no ones going to tell me what to fuckin do" variety.

Just cant understand the mentality of it. Bring a bag, put leftovers in bag and fuck off home you filthy animal.

Saw an island on sale for 150,000, looking like an attractive option these days.

Think I may have reached the "Strewel Point" on the outrage scale.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                        They have a few pure mile signs on stretches in the mountains, obviously stirs a limbic response somewhere deep in the brain of neanderthal scum of the "no ones going to tell me what to fuckin do" variety.

Just cant understand the mentality of it. Bring a bag, put leftovers in bag and fuck off home you filthy animal.

Saw an island on sale for 150,000, looking like an attractive option these days.

Think I may have reached the "Strewel Point" on the outrage scale.

Amateur Hour compared to a full-on Walter Sobchak\Strewel meltdown imo.

Comment

Oof

Edit: not for girly-men

SPOILER

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-07-21, 21:06.

Comment

Amateur Hour compared to a full-on Walter Sobchak\Strewel meltdown imo.
                                                                            Ha ha, great film, hasnt been on in ages...well at least on Saorview

Comment

Fuck me, spoiler that with a warning will you Hitch? I probably should have known, but still.

Comment

Ah jaysus, didn't need to see that

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

Ha ha, great film, hasnt been on in ages...well at least on Saorview
                                                                                  It's on Netflix. I watch it once a year I'd say.

The ashes-scattering scene caused me to pull a muscle laughing before.

Comment

Guess I won’t post the pic of his arm impaled on the railing
                                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                      Fuck me, spoiler that with a warning will you Hitch? I probably should have known, but still.
                                                                                      A guy sent me it today on WhatsApp along with two gruesome images. Deleted straight away and told him to fuck off. Didn't watch the video.
                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                        Guess I won’t post the pic of his arm impaled on the railing
                                                                                        Lucky it was only his arm. Was expecting much worse.
                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Lucky it was only his arm. Was expecting much worse.
                                                                                          Didn’t watch the vid after I saw the pic
                                                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

Didn’t watch the vid after I saw the pic
                                                                                            Same
                                                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

FFS hitch.... At least warn us beforehand. Don't need to see that crap.

Comment

He doesn't look to be in that bad shape.

Comment

Tramore No Swim Warning In Place After High Levels Of Dubs Found In Water

TR
                                                                                                  Last edited by The Istanbul; 23-07-21, 21:02.

Comment

Quick question for all of those who have recently remortgaged to lock in low-interest rates. Have you considered or researched the possibility of rates going even lower?

Comment

Yikes. Did I miss something in the video? He fell but was grand, no. I thought it was slightly positive apart from bump, that you can fall like that and be kinda grand. Didn't notice any injury. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                        Quick question for all of those who have recently remortgaged to lock in low-interest rates. Have you considered or researched the possibility of rates going even lower?
                                                                                                        I'm patiently waiting for this to happen.
                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

To add, they still mightn't fall if Hitch gives his blessing to more mergers shrinking an already near duopoly.
                                                                                                          ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

I was thinking about it personally because of needing to decide how long to fix mortgage.

Without any real insight, I was coming down on the side of fixing for as long as possible as inflation could rip through Western economies. Everything seems to be inflating like mad at the moment and it might become unstoppable, to the point where interest rates just need to rise to encourage people to stop spending and keep their money in the bank.

It seems like most of the risk is on the interest rates rising side, even though, on paper, there's massive incentives for countries to want to keep interest rates near zero as national debts are so high.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                              By which you mean two things happening:
                                                                                                              1. the long-term continuation of ZIRP
                                                                                                              2. a squeeze on Irish margins

I don't see either myself. Rates will eventually move off zero as inflation returns - you can see this happening in the US already. And in order for Irish margins to reduce, you would need an intensification of competition in the Irish mortgage sector. Whereas it's actually becoming less competitive with KBC and Ulster leaving.

I'll be quite happy to lock in at 1.95%, assuming Avant don't torpedo me for excessive gambooling.

Comment

Nevermind your Euros and your Olympics,
                                                                                                                Waterford Vs Athlone in the Fai cup delivering.

Waterford 2-0 up but get a man sent off in the 68th.
                                                                                                                Athlone penalty straight after.

Athlone go 3-2 up only for Greg Halford on his debut ( him of getting sent off playing for Sunderland while being managed by Roy Keane at the time fame) to equalise in the 92nd.

Que the Waterford manager and assistant getting sent off.

It's crazy end to end stuff all extra time and 6 minutes left to play.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Micknail; 23-07-21, 23:59.
                                                                                                                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Yikes. Did I miss something in the video? He fell but was grand, no. I thought it was slightly positive apart from bump, that you can fall like that and be kinda grand. Didn't notice any injury. My bad.
                                                                                                                  There is nothing good in that video.

Apart from arousing some curiosity as to how he found himself in that position, in his underpants.

Comment

Don't look at his left arm then

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                      Nevermind your Euros and your Olympics,
                                                                                                                      Waterford Vs Athlone in the Fai cup delivering.

Waterford 2-0 up but get a man sent off in the 68th.
                                                                                                                      Athlone penalty straight after.

Athlone go 3-2 up only for Greg Halford on his debut ( him of getting sent off playing for Sunderland while being managed by Roy Keane at the time fame) in the 92nd.

Que the Waterford manager and assistant getting sent off.

It's crazy end to end stuff all extra time and 6 minutes left to play.
                                                                                                                      So Waterford score in the 33rd min with a last min header from a corner.

They think it's all over.

Athlone take tip and blast it from halfway.
                                                                                                                      It goes in.
                                                                                                                      Schoolboy stuff, jumpers for goalposts.

Pelanties.
                                                                                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Never in doubt. Hon the blues. (Of course playing in white tonight).
                                                                                                                        ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Re - Hitchs video , I remember my second holiday abroad at about 21. You are still stupid really and we had two apartments side by side and the first night there was some swinging across balconies. We woke up next day and decided no more of that shit at all as it was a 7 floor fall onto a car park roof. But everytime i see it happening in the 25y since with some young lad dying i still think back and shudder.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X