This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

the second someone comes back unvaccinated and contracts or spreads, there'll be a lawsuit
    I don't think so? Hard to see on what grounds unless they were somehow doing it deliberately
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I've been in and out of the office a fair bit all through the last year, today was the first time there were more than a couple of people in.

There has been one guy whose job is perfect for WFH, he has a horrible commute but he hates WFH and insists on coming in all the time...weird!
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        I've been in and out of the office a fair bit all through the last year, today was the first time there were more than a couple of people in.

There has been one guy whose job is perfect for WFH, he has a horrible commute but he hates WFH and insists on coming in all the time...weird!
        Surely not that weird.

Maybe he can't work whilst family are there, can't stand his family or worse again he can't stand his own company if he is on his own.

Maybe he finds peace on his commute and enjoys the office way better.

My company voted 41% for full remote working. 59% hybrid and 0% nobody to go back to 5 days.

Thought 41% was very high and that's something the company is going to have to eat. I work for a predomintaly tech company. Nuig had a pretty comprehensive survey a couple of weeks ago and it found 32% of people it surveyed nationwide want to remain fully remote. So in the end our result was probably average enough.

Interesting times ahead. Offer fully remote work or your staff who want it will find it somewhere else it seems.

Comment

I'll be going 4 days in, one day home. But that's pretty much what I did pre-pandemic anyway.

Too many distractions at home, I just focus better in the office.

Comment

No posts on Dominick Cummings presentation today? Have to admit, I only watched about 3 hours of it live, and it was really difficult to know what was new and what was already known.
            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
              No posts on Dominick Cummings presentation today? Have to admit, I only watched about 3 hours of it live, and it was really difficult to know what was new and what was already known.
              Box office anyway.

I doubt Joe Public gives a shit though. Boris is Trumpian in his ability to ride out stuff like this.

Comment

Pelanties
                ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                  Pelanties
                  Turgid shite of a game though.

Hoping it's lost in loltastic fashion either way.

Comment

Who has the most bottle for penalties?

Comment

I often wonder why the keeper doesn't just stand still for the odd one

Comment

Balls of steel all round tbf

Comment

Apparently he's not so great with his feet.

Comment

Not De Gea

Comment

Nice backstory to the Villareal club there by Brian Kerr.

Comment

A penny for Roy Keanes thoughts!

That was the technically best penalty shootout I've ever seen. Every penalty was well hit until the last, which was by a goalkeeper so understandable. (And wasn't that bad)

Comment

Was all going so well selling the dream of the small-time club done good until he let it slip the owner was a billionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post

Interesting times ahead. Offer fully remote work or your staff who want it will find it somewhere else it seems.
                                    The other one, that companies are going to have to face up to if they want to retain faculty, is the ability to work from abroad. Its a pedantic and silly idea that you need to be working in the same country as you live in for quite a lot of jobs.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

A bit late to the party I know but Fleabag is pretty marvelous.
                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Increasingly dont allign with the majority and tone of the messages here, a place I always enjoyed reading. Lately find it pretty unbareable. Find it amazing no-one ever has the fleeting recognition of, all that can be said is, truly, we dont have a clue. As such, retiring from IPB ( something happened FB post -you Ok hun - dont want to talk about it babes etc chortle ha!) enjoyed some great times with many of the punters here in the live arena and hope to again soon. Akin to leaving a WhatsApp group I think of old school mates, where the penny drops and you realise in actuality these people are exactly that old school mates and not the attached relationships of old. Be well all.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                          Increasingly dont allign with the majority and tone of the messages here, a place I always enjoyed reading. Lately find it pretty unbareable. Find it amazing no-one ever has the fleeting recognition of, all that can be said is, truly, we dont have a clue. As such, retiring from IPB ( something happened FB post -you Ok hun - dont want to talk about it babes etc chortle ha!) enjoyed some great times with many of the punters here in the live arena and hope to again soon. Akin to leaving a WhatsApp group I think of old school mates, where the penny drops and you realise in actuality these people are exactly that old school mates and not the attached relationships of old. Be well all.
                                          Odd. I never felt that there was an expectation that everyone on here should align or agree on everything. It must have taken some degree of forbearance to reach 'pretty unbearable'. Why didn't you call people on what you believed was horseshite? You might have shifted the balance in the force.

Discord is a large part of the charm of this place. The vax \ anti-vax dialogue from today is a good example.
                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I don't think so? Hard to see on what grounds unless they were somehow doing it deliberately
                                            There was a guy arrested and charged here (Spain) for giving covid to 22 workmates when it was established that he went to work despite knowing he had it.
                                            Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

There was a guy arrested and charged here (Spain) for giving covid to 22 workmates when it was established that he went to work despite knowing he had it.
                                              Jaysis.

'Reckless endangerment' or something similar I guess?

Comment

Jaysis.

'Reckless endangerment' or something similar I guess?
                                                'intentionally causing injury' was the term I saw but yeah, same thing I guess.
                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Never mind the right to refuse a vaccine,
                                                  Wimmin allowed hack divots outta Portmarnock!!!
                                                  'Tis mad Ted. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post

'intentionally causing injury' was the term I saw but yeah, same thing I guess.
                                                    Did they establish if he was just stupid, or was it actually done with malicious intent?

Comment

OLD people have problems that you haven't even considered yet!

An 85-year-old man was requested by his Doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, 'Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow.'

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked what happened and the man explained, 'Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing..

'Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing. She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing.

'She even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing.'

The doctor was shocked!'You asked your neighbor?'

.'
                                                      SPOILER
                                                      The old man replied, 'Yep, none of us could get the jar open

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

The other one, that companies are going to have to face up to if they want to retain faculty, is the ability to work from abroad. Its a pedantic and silly idea that you need to be working in the same country as you live in for quite a lot of jobs.
                                                        You run into tax issues with this pretty damn quick, that's the problem. Imagine the hit to the Irish exchequer if this became allowable.

Believe me, if companies could do it, they would.

Comment

You run into tax issues with this pretty damn quick, that's the problem. Imagine the hit to the Irish exchequer if this became allowable.

My missus' new gig is for a 100% remote small tech company. They have actual full-time employees in US and UK due to sufficient numbers so it made sense to have companies there. However, the rest of the world staff are essentially independent contractors who manage their own local tax liabilities. If they reach a certain headcount in Ireland (or another country) they'll consider opening an local company. The US/UK crowd do get some extra benefits but the RoW crew has a better basic package from what I understand.

I have a mate returning from Spain soon as otherwise, he breaks the 6-month rule for tax residency. He's been a contractor for a few different tech gigs over the years. He said it's a major ball-ache to deal with formally "re-locating" permanently and sorting out tax liabilities. In an ideal situation, he'd prefer to be some sort of digital WFH nomad, spending 3-6 months in different countries without having to stay 6 months in Ireland.

Comment

i doubt big well established companies will ever allow this tbh. just a nightmare from a tax/hr/insurance perspective.

i tried to get my company to sign off on me going to France and working from there in the 2 week period between my 2 holiday breaks in July and august. they were having none of it. This is them just being lazy and applying a one size fits all ban on this type of thing as 2 weeks is irrelevant from a tax perspective.

Comment

Nah you don't actually run into tax issues all that quickly at all. This is a myth. Show me a single European example of a company actually being charged location tax for one of their workers spending two months working in a country?

Whats going to happen is that some newer companies will realise how they can get all the good staff by integrating this as a policy (one in five Dublin workers is non-Irish European?) and they're going to hoover up all the good staff.

Comment

Is that not what Multinational companies, as the name suggests, have been doing since they've existed?
                                                                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

*have been doing.

Can't edit.
                                                                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    Is that not what Multinational companies, as the name suggests, been doing since they've existed?
                                                                    not really. they have local offices in all the different countries

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                      Is that not what Multinational companies, as the name suggests, have been doing since they've existed?
                                                                      if you are employed by an Irish company, there are strict Revenue rules around that

Comment

Nah you don't actually run into tax issues all that quickly at all. This is a myth. Show me a single European example of a company actually being charged location tax for one of their workers spending two months working in a country?

Whats going to happen is that some newer companies will realise how they can get all the good staff by integrating this as a policy (one in five Dublin workers is non-Irish European?) and they're going to hoover up all the good staff.
                                                                        I can't see this ever being solved without a common European tax base (which would completely fuck Ireland as a location).

So be careful what you wish for.

Comment

if you are employed by an Irish company, there are strict Revenue rules around that
                                                                          So if you read that, there's definitely a nod and a wink for the pandemic, but the rules will return to normal from now on

Comment

So if you read that, there's definitely a nod and a wink for the pandemic, but the rules will return to normal from now on
                                                                            Its clearly talking about residency there, which is normally interpreted as 180 days plus 1 in a year. Not small stays, like working from abroad for a summer. I'm not saying companies haven't interpreted as meaning there can be no working abroad, I'm saying those companies are wrong.

If you can definitely work abroad for a day (which you do in your frequent Rotterdam visits), but 180 days plus 1 equals foreign residency, then the issue is not whether you can or can't work from abroad, as people already frequently work from abroad on business trips, but rather the issue is for how long you can work from abroad.

Comment

Its clearly talking about residency there, which is normally interpreted as 180 days plus 1 in a year. Not small stays, like working from abroad for a summer. I'm not saying companies haven't interpreted as meaning there can be no working abroad, I'm saying those companies are wrong.

If you can definitely work abroad for a day (which you do in your frequent Rotterdam visits), but 180 days plus 1 equals foreign residency, then the issue is not whether you can or can't work from abroad, but rather how long you can work from abroad for.
                                                                              Residency is a major part of the tax rules so can be very complicated.

Remember when I was working in USA, I had to keep track of the different states visits due to state tax rules as had to keep track of days spent out of the state.
                                                                              ​​​​​​
                                                                              it is a very complicated area and can't be dismissed as easily as you make it out to be. Once the new normal kicks in, it will be definitely some kind of Flexi working model, with smaller office space and 2/3 days in and out. So still will be very much be local employment.
                                                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

We have had people employed on full time contracts working at home permanently from at least a dozen countries over the last decade. Some may be hired out of SA or Dubai offices but most would be out of here. Must be some pain in the ass for HR and payroll people but then I don't hear any complaints from anyone. There was one guy I wouldn't have many dealings with just disappeared from the office years ago and I only recently realised he never left but has been WFH in Argentina for nearly ten years!
                                                                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

sad to see you step away man.
                                                                                  I find the lack of echo chamber here a feature not a bug.
                                                                                  It's also a useful handbrake on blindly following a line of thinking. Whether thats the wisdom of crowds or mob mentality is another question

Look after yourself and the door is always open,
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Plenty of people in my company have been working from abroad from home since before this. We have people in Australia, France, UK, US. We only have offices in Ireland and the US.

Even as a grad they offered me full time remote work from Amsterdam as they heard my girlfriend lived there.
                                                                                    Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 27-05-21, 12:11.

Comment

If you can definitely work abroad for a day (which you do in your frequent Rotterdam visits), but 180 days plus 1 equals foreign residency, then the issue is not whether you can or can't work from abroad, as people already frequently work from abroad on business trips, but rather the issue is for how long you can work from abroad.
                                                                                      Yeah but the point being it's not something that is in the gift of individual companies - if they sign Irish contracts with local employees, then they have to comply with the Revenue rules.

Comment

Yeah but the point being it's not something that is in the gift of individual companies - if they sign Irish contracts with local employees, then they have to comply with the Revenue rules.
                                                                                        Are you missing the point? This is about employees in Ireland who might want to work abroad say for a summer sipping on Bordeaux instead of Guinness. A lot of companies seem to be saying that isn't possible, and in general working abroad isn't possible. Yet people already do work from abroad - for example on business trips. So the idea that it isn't possible is clearly wrong. The people who say it isn't possible seem to really mean 'I don't want to do this', or maybe are confusing short stays with the implications of someone actually living abroad for long enough for them to count as resident abroad (over six months in year).

Comment

Employed in that sense surely has a specific meaning and doesn’t excluding working from abroad.
                                                                                          Working from aboard you simply become a contractor. As a contractor, tax is your own responsibility to settle with the tax office i wherever you reside. People having been working that way for a decade or more.

Comment

RD obviously has shares in a Vit D company, trying to keep us all deficient by sticking to the one small Atlantic rock.

Comment

Companies can also be fined for using contractors who have not established themselves correctly.
                                                                                              Just as tenants can be liable for out-of-state landlords and are do pay tax to Revenue at source.

I'm lucky, my company set up an Irish office for me specifically to allow me to be tax resident in Ireland but work for the company in UK still.

They explored the self-contracting option, but were concerned that UK tax law would consider me an employee even if I were explicitly contracting as a self-employed worker of an Irish shell company.

Tis not facile, there's a minefield of hoops to jump through. There is however already examples of the "working holiday" setups popping up, where you can go to Portugal for 5/6 weeks and WFH there and the hotel is setup to have facilities for remote workers to allow you to work during the day and chill 'on holiday' in the evening/weekends.

Had I not chained myself to the ground by having a bab I'm certain I'd be entertaining the possibility of 3/4 different 3 week 'working breaks' next year.

Comment

I'm in a queue to buy one of 900 plots of virtual land. Opens in 9 minutes and tends to sell out in less than a minute. Been building up to this all week. Feel I even dreamt about it last night. Lets go!!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                  Companies can also be fined for using contractors who have not established themselves correctly.
                                                                                                  Just as tenants can be liable for out-of-state landlords and are do pay tax to Revenue at source.

I'm lucky, my company set up an Irish office for me specifically to allow me to be tax resident in Ireland but work for the company in UK still.

They explored the self-contracting option, but were concerned that UK tax law would consider me an employee even if I were explicitly contracting as a self-employed worker of an Irish shell company.

Tis not facile, there's a minefield of hoops to jump through. There is however already examples of the "working holiday" setups popping up, where you can go to Portugal for 5/6 weeks and WFH there and the hotel is setup to have facilities for remote workers to allow you to work during the day and chill 'on holiday' in the evening/weekends.

Had I not chained myself to the ground by having a bab I'm certain I'd be entertaining the possibility of 3/4 different 3 week 'working breaks' next year.
                                                                                                  Yeah - in a year or two that's exactly what you'll be able to, as babs will be up and ready for a party. Easy enough to organise nannies anywhere also.

We need to get out of this mindset of having to stick to the one place.

Comment

My place has made some big changes to their WFH policy and also their dress code.

You can now work from home for a max of 26 days per year (if your role suits working from home) but you cannot work more than 3 days in a row from home.

Also, we now no longer have to wear ties unless we are meeting with customers (online zoom/teams calls with a customer counts as a meeting)

Big changes, some people say they've never seen bigger changes, I think they are big changes, possibly the biggest ever.

Comment

Pour one out for the Impactful Tie

Comment

Are you missing the point? This is about employees in Ireland who might want to work abroad say for a summer sipping on Bordeaux instead of Guinness. A lot of companies seem to be saying that isn't possible, and in general working abroad isn't possible. Yet people already do work from abroad - for example on business trips. So the idea that it isn't possible is clearly wrong. The people who say it isn't possible seem to really mean 'I don't want to do this', or maybe are confusing short stays with the implications of someone actually living abroad for long enough for them to count as resident abroad (over six months in year).
                                                                                                        Find us the revenue rules and we can take it from there.
                                                                                                        I've seen this in action many times ("hey boss, can I work from Portugal for the winter? "emmm sure, I don't really give a fuck as long as you do the work but let me check with HR"...."dummmmdidummm, they say no way - revenue rules")

Comment

There's definitely a double jeopardy scenario at play where you can be taxed twice (home and abroad) on the same Irish income if you break the residency rules.

Obviously short term business trips are fine.

Comment

Find us the revenue rules and we can take it from there.
                                                                                                            I've seen this in action many times ("hey boss, can I work from Portugal for the winter? "emmm sure, I don't really give a fuck as long as you do the work but let me check with HR"...."dummmmdidummm, they say no way - revenue rules")
                                                                                                            Wha? You want me to find rules where I'm saying there are no rules? You're the one saying there is rules.

Tell me this - what rule says its okay for you to work abroad in Rotterdam for three days on a business trip, but says it is not allowed for you to work in Rotterdam for two weeks or two months? I get the six month point - that counts as residency, but I don't think there's any rules before that.

Comment

There's definitely a double jeopardy scenario at play where you can be taxed twice (home and abroad) on the same Irish income if you break the residency rules.

Obviously short term business trips are fine.
                                                                                                              Yes, everyone accepts the six month rule for residency. That wasn't the conversation at any point!

Comment

I'm in a queue to buy one of 900 plots of virtual land. Opens in 9 minutes and tends to sell out in less than a minute. Been building up to this all week. Feel I even dreamt about it last night. Lets go!!
                                                                                                                Well I got one plot anyway. wow that was tense though.

Comment

Does the “they’re not making any more of it” maxim apply to virtual land?

Comment

Thank god for wfh - not sure I’d be able to restrain myself from chucking an imaginary grenade or 2 leaving a real life meeting and looking like a tool

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Does the “they’re not making any more of it” maxim apply to virtual land?
                                                                                                                      95% of the worlds population lives on just 10% of its land. Including farming. There's no real shortage of physical land either. What gives land value is not scarcity, but scarcity in places that people want to live. What I think is: why wouldn't it be the same in virtual land? Sure its technically unlimited, but there's only going to be a few places that people actually want to live (virtually) and the value will be attached to those places. So you can have scarcity despite it being unlimited.

Comment

Maddest thing I've encountered since my last hypomanic episode

Comment

You'll never get planning and it's bad ground for grazing virtual cows apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X