This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

There's some lovely data here that I use in classes: https://www.kaggle.com/shivachandel/kc-house-data/code

Can then turn it into something like this with pretty amazing prediction value: https://www.kaggle.com/shweta2407/re...ta-accuracy-87

I was looking at something like that for Ireland, or Dublin, but all we have really are house prices, so you can only predict from prior houses. There isn't enough data to build a proper model. I think DAFT are playing around with something like it, but its not very good.
    Can you not get an API into this or something?

See the latest house sale prices via the Property Price Register on Daft.ie
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

I was at that, was 15 and went with the brother and his girlfriend and a few others. Got there late and missed Santana.
      Think "In Tua Nua" were on as well

Was at Springsteen the following year, another great concert.
      Me too . I was but a kid like yourself.

dont recall in Tua Nua . Santana stole the show . The mudder went mad when I arrived home next afternoon .
      I remember UB40 asking the crowd had they heard N Diamond singing red red wine (his song) at Croke Park the previous week. One guy yelled YEAHHHH.then everyone laughed at him . (Wasnt me I swear)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
        Take your pick really
        Those projects are only notable because they have funny names! There are literally thousands of DEFI projects, many of them tiny and poorly run. Most of them will fail, that doesn't mean DEFI is blowing itself up.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

More thinking just personal valuation. Or comparing two places. Kinda mad that one of the biggest financial and life decisions comes down to feel a lot.
          When we were looking we viewed a house, liked it and went back for a second look before bidding. Met one of the neighbours who was an absolute dose. Tutted when we said we were not sending our kid to the Irish school.

Glad we did, our current neighbours are great and I had forgotten after years of apartment living that it’s pretty normal to talk to the people you live beside and help them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Sure look your neighbours are all mad culchie fellas who spend their days roaring at sheep that have broken into their vegetable patch

I will maintain though that the true Dublin delineation is actually East\West.

The question is where does the line fall.....
            Thats probably true instead of Nordside / Soufside its Seaside / knackeragua with a few tiny enclaves of civilisation

a bit like this IMO
            9oSufaQ.jpg
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The natives of Rathgar, Ranelagh and Terenure will probably be upset at that one.

You also left out the completely surrounded enclave of Castleknock and the richest town in Ireland, Malahide.
              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

When we were looking we viewed a house, liked it and went back for a second look before bidding. Met one of the neighbours who was an absolute dose. Tutted when we said we were not sending our kid to the Irish school.

Glad we did, our current neighbours are great and I had forgotten after years of apartment living that it’s pretty normal to talk to the people you live beside and help them out.
                Oh we got screwed over on that. Got the exemption from wasting her time learning Irish for the eldest kid when we arrived, and I just sent an email seeking an exemption for the youngest and they got back saying - actually there's a new law saying that no more exemptions are allowed for any kids under 12 unless they have severe learning disability.
                Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 25-05-21, 11:17.
                "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

It might prove an interesting life experiment. Will the eldest kid - free to use her time productively, maybe learn Chinese, grow up to do more useful things than her younger brother who knows how to ask to go the toilet as gaeilge very well.

Comment

Sure look your neighbours are all mad culchie fellas who spend their days roaring at sheep that have broken into their vegetable patch

I will maintain though that the true Dublin delineation is actually East\West.

The question is where does the line fall.....
                    The missus posted on the community page that the cows were on the building site. T'was never something you would hear growing up in D12 .

Comment

Not sure how many have seen her before, but Bella Poarch is probably one of the biggest stars on TikTok for doing weird facial expressions (yes mama that's celebrity now). Shes now broken out of tikTok and released a song and its kinda cool in a poppy way.

Comment

The natives of Rathgar, Ranelagh and Terenure will probably be upset at that one.

You also left out the completely surrounded enclave of Castleknock and the richest town in Ireland, Malahide.
                        And what about Foxrock?

Comment

This is one thing that I still struggle with since moving southside. When I lived on the northside, I knew 95%+ of all the neighbours for all my life and you would always have the chats and the sense of community was fantastic. One of the most striking things was when the mother died (almost 22 years ago now) and we brought her back to the house for a wake ahead of the funeral. There was huge numbers of family and neighbours in and out of the house but a group of about a dozen neighbours arranged to come in and essentially do the night shift of saying decades of the rosary from 2am until about 7am on the basis that they didn't want Mam to be alone overnight but also wanted the family to try be able to get a decent nights kip and not to have to stay up with her.

Where I am now is not quite apartments, it's a gated place with apartments on the ground floor and duplexs on top of them but everybody has their own front door and either a small terrace for the apartment or balcony for the duplexs, all leading out to a communal garden area. There are only a few owner/occupiers with the balance all renting out of about 50 places and the turn over in renters is fairly high. The amount of people that walk past you and don't even say hello is off the charts - I just find it so weird.

Comment

Strewel's map confirms one thing - The big, bad, mean streets of Templeogue are indeed, big, bad and mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post
                              Strewel's map confirms one thing - The big, bad, mean streets of Templeogue are indeed, big, bad and mean.
                              I think my map was more accurate.

Although if you actually had to prepare a map that actually called out the reality, it would make drawing up the Israel\Palestine border a piece of cake.

Comment

I grew up in Drimnagh and the amount of very classy people was higher than the amount of scumbags. When I say classy I mean cultured , well mannered and very intelligent people.
                                It really is about the people . I remember holding the door open for this middle aged couple many moons ago in a v posh golf club. The woman looked right down her nose and neither bothered to say thank you. My inner Dub came out and in a very put on as flat as I could accent I said. DON'T FOOKIN MENTION IT. Her majesty jumped in disgust and the husband gave a cheeky knowing grin then said . Fair point

This story changes in my head over the years . I was quite sure I kicked her up the hole but doesnt sound like me now does it . Pity .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

What was said ? Or was it the spikes ? Fail to see Brooks problem
                                  "just gotta start it on the right line"

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

They could make a great Ryder Cup pairing............for Europe.
                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Doesnt compute governor. Bryson was passing , noisy shoes. How the hell does he hear the comment from BK. I think the shoes annoyed him but would love to know . I like them both . Like I say golf is an arseholes game. The precious rules and behavioural spotlights are way OTT. I love the actual game but the environment annoys the shit out of me.

Comment

What happened to the care free, I don't need to practice, I don't particularly like golf, winning majors is easy as most of the field aren't good enough, don't have the bottle, or are too old Brooks Koepka? Oh it's not him doing the shit talking so he doesn't like it and rolls his eyes like a child.

Comment

So what do we think would happen a TD who compared being asked for vaccination certificates with the Nazis forcing Jews to wear yellow stars?

This is just bananas. And she's facing no real sanction. America 2021.

Comment

So what do we think would happen a TD who compared being asked for vaccination certificates with the Nazis forcing Jews to wear yellow stars?

Thought child benefit being described as a subsidy to have sex (and implying that would be a bad thing) was more loltastic https://www.thejournal.ie/david-mcma...47823-May2021/ https://www.independent.ie/news/payi...-40462322.html

FINE GAEL HAS distanced itself from comments made by a party councillor who claimed paying child benefit to high earners is like a “subsidy for them to have sex”.
                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Thought child benefit being described as a subsidy to have sex (and implying that would be a bad thing) was more loltastic https://www.thejournal.ie/david-mcma...47823-May2021/ https://www.independent.ie/news/payi...-40462322.html
                                              Ha. It's badly phrased but I think he's right.

Wealthy people shouldn't be getting SW payments.

Comment

Rounders Prime Time special tonight by looks of it

Comment

she is nuts no doubt, but she is not completely wrong though. I kinda see her point about discrimination against anti vaxs, she just makes her point badly.
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Ah, I agree with them not receiving it and it should be means tested. But the idea that well off people are reproducing more because they get a small tax rebate is ridiculous.
                                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

she is nuts no doubt, but she is not completely wrong though. I kinda see her point about discrimination against anti vaxs, she just makes her point badly.
                                                      Emmmm.

Comment

LOL

Edit
                                                        She is comparing people who are refused access to certain activities because they are self obsessed moronic gobshites to Jews in 1930's Germany

I'll help you out a bit here - she is completely wrong it's not discrimination it's sensible public health policy.
                                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 25-05-21, 21:17.

Comment

Had to read this a few times.
                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

I'll help you out a little.

She's completely, and utterly wrong.
                                                            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

LOL

Edit
                                                              She is comparing people who are refused access to certain activities because they are self obsessed moronic gobshites to Jews in 1930's Germany

I'll help you out a bit here - she is completely wrong it's not discrimination it's sensible public health policy.
                                                              Do you think vaccines for a virus that mostly affects old and on the wayout people anyways should be compulsory? This great government of ours has put up the price of drink and now allowing at some later time 105 minutes in the pub is this the optimal time to
                                                              not get the virus? I can understand yourself taking it age etc but no
                                                              need for young healthy people to take especially if the vulnerable in our society have got vaccinated.

Comment

LOL

Edit

If these activities start off with no bar concerts etc- where does it end ? Need a pass to get food in the supermarket visit a dentist doctor ? Longest lockdown in Europe economy in tatters businesses closing all around and people accept this it’s bewildering.

Comment

Kinda makes it even better that Israel were basically doing that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    I'll help you out a little.

She's completely, and utterly wrong.
                                                                    Unfortunately she isn't if you think about it. I disagree with her and find her very objectionable, but I can see her point about masks becoming a stigma. Thus she is like 90% wrong

The solution is that everyone should wear a mask whether vaccinated or not to avoid the the masks being seen as a stigma. Not the "passports".
                                                                    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

The first man to get a pizer jab vaccine has died from an unrelated illness rip

Comment

Lets say you have two kids in creche - €2,200 a month in Dublin. Maybe renting a 60sqm apartment in a slightly decent area - €2,000 minimum. How are you defining 'wealthy' in this situation, when they've €4,200 expenses before even getting to the supermarket to buy food. Maybe €6,000 a month then just to cover your basic costs - before you even think of leaving the house for a meal or heaven forbid a holiday. Why would you want to take away their small tiny piddling bit of child benefit that is but a drop in the ocean compared to their childcare costs? Oh and they are also paying 50% marginal income tax. And then they have to read stories about how lucky they are and they should give up the one tiny benefit they have while they work two full-time jobs to just barely make ends meet.

I'd say you'd need to be on up near €150,000 a year in family income before you could consider someone wealthy enough to not need child benefit. And there's such a small number of people on that (mainly with grown up kids, so not receiving SW benefits) that it would cost far more to collect than it gains.

Comment

On a bigger note - it seems like it will be 'some time this week' that 40-44 can sign up for vaccines. woot woot. its all happening now!

Comment

greedy morons with the attention span of a goldfish will be wrecked soon and it will be beautiful.
                                                                            Once tether goes it all come crashing down

Last edited by Guest; 26-05-21, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post

Do you think vaccines for a virus that mostly affects old and on the wayout people anyways should be compulsory? This great government of ours has put up the price of drink and now allowing at some later time 105 minutes in the pub is this the optimal time to
                                                                              need for young healthy people to take especially if the vulnerable in our society have got vaccinated.
                                                                              A polish lad 2 weeks ago came down sick with covid.
                                                                              Young healthy strapping lad. Worked on a building site in Grange Castle. Boss told him to get checked, he wasn't having a bar of it and his mam back in Poland basically told him to have a cup of cement and ride it out.
                                                                              He was living with his brother and last Sunday the brother brings him in breakfast and his brother who had been feeling better complained of feeling worse but would tough it out.
                                                                              15 mins later to brother comes up to take the dishes and yer man is dead in his bed.
                                                                              There's 8 or 9 of his workmates positive now as well, one of them a good mate of mine.

This bolloxology is infuriating. I'm sick of hearing ignorance and pig headedness passed as fact.
                                                                              ​​​​​

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

She is completely wrong.

Its not excluding people from services it is including an ever increasing number of people in a group that is considered safe for return to normal life.

Those who chose not to take the vaccine and wait for herd immunity to make them safe are entitled to that course of action of course. They are not entitled to consider themselves safe or indeed not a risk to others.

it’s a have your cake and eat it situation plain and simple.

Comment

Some display of cognitive dissonance on display here yesterday re The virus originating in the lab . Was never the “holograms flying into the twin towers “ level conspiracy some here and in the media portrayed it as.
                                                                                  it’s been flagged for years that a virus escaping from a lab was a huge risk and it’s happened many times we just got lucky. As we have all seen over the past year with mask compliance many humans are sloppy cunts who think they are are special and those people end up working in virology labs too

Comment

Thats basically how herd immunity and vaccine programs work.

Otherwise the virus just hangs around waiting for those people to get old enough to kill them.

It sad to say but in 30 years time our 20 year olds will all be 50 and more at risk.

Comment

Lets say you have two kids in creche - €2,200 a month in Dublin. Maybe renting a 60sqm apartment in a slightly decent area - €2,000 minimum. How are you defining 'wealthy' in this situation, when they've €4,200 expenses before even getting to the supermarket to buy food. Maybe €6,000 a month then just to cover your basic costs - before you even think of leaving the house for a meal or heaven forbid a holiday. Why would you want to take away their small tiny piddling bit of child benefit that is but a drop in the ocean compared to their childcare costs? Oh and they are also paying 50% marginal income tax. And then they have to read stories about how lucky they are and they should give up the one tiny benefit they have while they work two full-time jobs to just barely make ends meet.

I'd say you'd need to be on up near €150,000 a year in family income before you could consider someone wealthy enough to not need child benefit. And there's such a small number of people on that (mainly with grown up kids, so not receiving SW benefits) that it would cost far more to collect than it gains.
                                                                                      Can see from those figures why Tech Companies offshoots are attracted to Belfast. £750 a month for comparable Apartment, £1200 for Childcare, £800 for Bills would be largely covered by a £40k Salary. Spouse income 80% surplus for a chunky house deposit fund in a few years. Not being palatable to live in North Tax obvs v high For people with minimal family, business or local ties to Dublin though it's a compelling option. No USC, tax on higher income slightly more favourable, healthcare free (if you hit lucky enough to get an appt)
                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

A polish lad 2 weeks ago came down sick with covid.
                                                                                        Young healthy strapping lad. Worked on a building site in Grange Castle. Boss told him to get checked, he wasn't having a bar of it and his mam back in Poland basically told him to have a cup of cement and ride it out.
                                                                                        He was living with his brother and last Sunday the brother brings him in breakfast and his brother who had been feeling better complained of feeling worse but would tough it out.
                                                                                        15 mins later to brother comes up to take the dishes and yer man is dead in his bed.
                                                                                        There's 8 or 9 of his workmates positive now as well, one of them a good mate of mine.

This bolloxology is infuriating. I'm sick of hearing ignorance and pig headedness passed as fact.
                                                                                        ​​​​​

This fking Covid is indiscriminate. It actually amazes me how we haven't been hit harder. I consider the fact that my family and friends are all healthy down to lockdown. I'm in the vaccine chain now but ffs we have come this far, why the fk cant we wait a little bit longer to see this thing through. Nearly there.

In other news . Wtf in Blanch yesterday. Guy shoots his mother and 2 coppers in the feet. ( body shots qed) and conflicting rumours of him being arrested or shot dead. Fking hell.

Comment

She is completely wrong.

Its not excluding people from services it is including an ever increasing number of people in a group that is considered safe for return to normal life.

Those who chose not to take the vaccine and wait for herd immunity to make them safe are entitled to that course of action of course. They are not entitled to consider themselves safe or indeed not a risk to others.

it’s a have your cake and eat it situation plain and simple.
                                                                                          Was just talking about masks becoming to be seen as a stigma, that's all. I agree completely with your point about herd immunity.

Comment

Was just talking about masks becoming to be seen as a stigma, that's all. I agree completely with your point about herd immunity.
                                                                                            Ah right sorry about that.

Comment

We're all headed for herd immunity, via direct or acquired methods (catch the virus and build up the response, or get the vaccine and build up the response).

Individuals are absolutely entitled to get the virus if you want to create your own immune system response to it.

You're not entitled to increase the risk of others getting it.

We're 15 odd months into this - only a few left, tough it out.

Comment

Do you think vaccines for a virus that mostly affects old and on the wayout people anyways should be compulsory? .
                                                                                                Wow!
                                                                                                Just let people who were going to die sometime soon anyway die... any other category of people you'd like to add to that list?

Comment

I wondered how long it would take before you turned into a grumpy Irish taxpayer

Congratulations, you have passed the test. Your welcome pack is in the post.

Comment

In other news . Wtf in Blanch yesterday. Guy shoots his mother and 2 coppers in the feet. ( body shots qed) and conflicting rumours of him being arrested or shot dead. Fking hell.
                                                                                                    all the bits in bold are untrue and illustrates how social media is making us stupider

Comment

all the bits in bold are untrue and the reason why social media is making us stupider
                                                                                                      What happened? I was just told this by a Crumlin head. On The ol blower - the original social media. He usually has hot off the press scumbag news . Didnt see on social media anywhere that he was shot dead . All say he was arrested .

Comment

Nice earner for the injured cops. How much for a bullet in the toe

Comment

What happened? I was just told this by a Crumlin head. On The ol blower - the original social media. He usually has hot off the press scumbag news . Didnt see on social media anywhere that he was shot dead . All say he was arrested .
                                                                                                          you were told a load of bollocks and you accepted it as fact

not having a go at you but this seems to be how our brains are wired nowadays - the filter has been removed

Comment

Wow!
                                                                                                            Just let people who were going to die sometime soon anyway die... any other category of people you'd like to add to that list?
                                                                                                            I would have a longish list to be honest. At what cost though to save the vulnerable and elderly is crippling the economy worth it ?

Comment

Wow!
                                                                                                              We’re you there for the autopsy ? It’s conclusive that COVID killed him is it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                We're all headed for herd immunity, via direct or acquired methods (catch the virus and build up the response, or get the vaccine and build up the response).

Individuals are absolutely entitled to get the virus if you want to create your own immune system response to it.

You're not entitled to increase the risk of others getting it.

We're 15 odd months into this - only a few left, tough it out.
                                                                                                                I think our over bearing nanny state government will not allow general opening up in the next few months. We can all take some pain but there is no clear road map in sight. I cannot see the sense on vaccinated people wearing flimsy masks. Varadkar on about top up vaccines pizer talking about making billions more vaccines for the years ahead. It reminds me of the First World War generals telling the men one more push men the war will be over by Christmas and not an end in sight.

Comment

I would have a longish list to be honest. At what cost though to save the vulnerable and elderly is crippling the economy worth it ?
                                                                                                                  Well, that would be a matter of how much more you value your 'right' to be a drunken eejit slobbering on other drunken eejits over the life of a vulnerable person. Pubs and restaurants are not the economy, they are a small part of it.
                                                                                                                  No one is asking for this shite to last a day longer than it needs to but we've got this far there is no point in fucking it up now because the fools that handed money to Ivor Cummins are desperately reaching to be right about something, anything. Better we be over cautious for an extra few weeks than another single person dies unnecessarily.

Comment

you were told a load of bollocks and you accepted it as fact

not having a go at you but this seems to be how our brains are wired nowadays - the filter has been removed
                                                                                                                    Hardly. I said he was shot OR arrested. This indicates I dont know the facts. As per usual the actual facts come out later. Either way it wasnt social media . Our brains have always worked like this .

Comment

Was just talking about masks becoming to be seen as a stigma, that's all. .
                                                                                                                      Thats going to be interesting, I can see masks being a feature of life here for years to come but in a stupid reverso of the way they wear them in the Far East. There anyone who feels they have a bit of a cold or a sniffle will wear a new clean mask properly for as long as they feel they need to in order to help protect other people. Here people will continue to wear a rancid weeks old rag as a sign of their fear of catching something from others.
                                                                                                                      People are dumb.

Comment

Throw another old person on the pyre there I'm off for a pint .

Comment

Well, that would be a matter of how much more you value your 'right' to be a drunken eejit slobbering on other drunken eejits over the life of a vulnerable person. Pubs and restaurants are not the economy, they are a small part of it.
                                                                                                                          No one is asking for this shite to last a day longer than it needs to but we've got this far there is no point in fucking it up now because the fools that handed money to Ivor Cummins are desperately reaching to be right about something, anything. Better we be over cautious for an extra few weeks than another single person dies unnecessarily.

I’ve not been drunk
                                                                                                                          in years. They may be a small part of the economy sure tourism is tiny as well especially the Atlantic way coast. Be over cautious so don’t drive cars kill people don’t go on a bicycle cyclists get hit killed. Let’s be over cautious in case someone dies unnecessarily. Also stop all construction farming accidents happen save lives stop work.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X