This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

I think it's the fact it doesn't run again this week is the reason he gave chase.
    Agreed, its an on the spot decision but ended up with horse having a heart attack. Probably better to bite the bullet and fight another day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
      Some Neck sent wrong way in La Touche. Not sure it was wise to try chase them down after it but i guess hindsight is a great thing.Not a good look from a Racing PR point of view.
      Well its the BBV so...did a random enough ew yankee on the first four races 16/1 placed, 40/1 placed, 17/2 placed and the supposed ew banker tying it all together was Alpha Des Obeaux (the one who got taken out of the race )
      FML
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
        I think that the second meat substitutes are competitive in flavour, texture, nutritional content and price to meat, that it becomes a no brainer to move to them solely.

I often try the new versions of "meat substitute" (often at serious premium to what they're trying to substitute) and though progress is evident, we're still millions of miles away.
        Re the meat subs, some are getting quite good, give the Denny sausages a go if you haven't, or any M&S item, love the kievs, lasagne, sausages etc. Something like an Impossible burger is spot on but can't get them here yet. Loads of them can be pretty nice now, not exactly the same, maybe not as good but pretty damn tasty and the difference means that it isn't as much as an inconvenience to people these days. Obviously there is no steak or anythign let, that will be a lab grown feat. They do often take the piss on price on some things, a galaxy bar for 4 euro, 2 beyond burgers for 7 euro etc.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-04-21, 19:08.

Comment

Can't stop watching Namastae man's videos, he's a howl

GaySpar is class

​​​​​​​

Comment

Is there anyone here that is not going to take the vaccine? Will there be top ups later this year on it? Will it become a yearly thing run hide from it? Destroy the economy blame the pubs blame the kids. When the fear is abating scream new variant new strain throw in buzz words like wave surge ram it down out necks with a constant bombardment of celebs rte statistics delivered in sombre tones. I am not a conspiracy theorist but i see level headed people who would give up huge liberties privacy just so they can have a pint or watch a sports match live. I think our governement have behaved appallingly accepting there pay rise when hundred of thousands off work bribed by the PUP payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’m sure it’s a common “do this simple task well” test in the the industry. It’s just that I think Marco in particular was known for. He set it as a challenge on Masterchef Australia and did it without looking.

I'm not sure relevant this stuff is to home chefs. Like the pay back in terms of time spent isn't really there for people who'll never dice more than a few onions a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Interesting! The first method is the one we are using in the cooking course. Slice it across and in layers three-quarters into the onion and then use the rolling knife technique to cut.
                That's also the method I used, picked up from some life hack or cooking show years ago. And i the video he does it better than I do.
                But the second way is clearly much finer. And it makes sense when you think about it, keep the pieces regular and consistent size.

I'll test it out, next time I want onions small.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I'm not sure relevant this stuff is to home chefs. Like the pay back in terms of time spent isn't really there for people who'll never dice more than a few onions a week.
                  I very much doubt there's a discernable difference between the two ways in terms of taste when you wack them into whatever at home. It definitely only matters when its a commercial kitchen trying to optimise everything.

But if somebody is just chopping an onion into a few rough chunks, they could probably stand to get a bit better with a knife.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion
                  Re the meat subs, some are getting quite good, give the Denny sausages a go if you haven't, or any M&S item, love the kievs, lasagne, sausages etc. Something like an Impossible burger is spot on but can't get them here yet
                  I'm tried some of the alternative burgers. Tjey are pretty good. But still quite costly. That needs to come down if they are going to see a big increase in uptake.
                  Burgers, sausage, lasange, etc are all made meat that's been ground to mush. I don't I've ever had a "kiev" that was a real chicken and not reformed crap. (not sure if stuffed breasts count).
                  The big challenge is replicating whole meat. Whoever makes a convincing steak, will make a fortune.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                    Is there anyone here that is not going to take the vaccine? Will there be top ups later this year on it? Will it become a yearly thing run hide from it? Destroy the economy blame the pubs blame the kids. When the fear is abating scream new variant new strain throw in buzz words like wave surge ram it down out necks with a constant bombardment of celebs rte statistics delivered in sombre tones. I am not a conspiracy theorist but i see level headed people who would give up huge liberties privacy just so they can have a pint or watch a sports match live. I think our governement have behaved appallingly accepting there pay rise when hundred of thousands off work bribed by the PUP payment.
                    What would you have done differently?
                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I very much doubt there's a discernable difference between the two ways in terms of taste when you wack them into whatever at home. It definitely only matters when its a commercial kitchen trying to optimise everything.

But if somebody is just chopping an onion into a few rough chunks, they could probably stand to get a bit better with a knife.

I'm tried some of the alternative burgers. Tjey are pretty good. But still quite costly. That needs to come down if they are going to see a big increase in uptake.
                      Burgers, sausage, lasange, etc are all made meat that's been ground to mush. I don't I've ever had a "kiev" that was a real chicken and not reformed crap. (not sure if stuffed breasts count).
                      The big challenge is replicating whole meat. Whoever makes a convincing steak, will make a fortune.
                      I dunno about that. They thought green might be the new gold. Never took off.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

What would you have done differently?
                        No pay rise would be a start .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

No pay rise would be a start .
                          No pay rise for public servants? That would have gone down well with the health workers.

Comment

E0KEIzZXsAQrowX?format=jpg&name=small.jpg

Comment

No pay rise for public servants? That would have gone down well with the health workers.
                              You should work for the Sun. I think you know well its overpaid ministers we refer to. The optics of a wage increase was pretty bad

Comment

Month One of 'operation get slightly fitter' complete.
                                This started on 28-Feb when I weighed myself for the first time in a few months. 13 stone 3, WTF? I laughed heartily at Mrs D3 for buying such an obviously malfunctioning device as I have been 12st 7" continuously for about 25 years but, a heated conversation later, I was persuaded that the scales were in fact not rigged. So have been going on a cycle early every morning for all of March - managed to do all 31 days (and only get wet once), usually go out as far as Sutton on the coastal cycle path and come back, about 12km round trip, doing it as fast as I can such that I arrive back in a muck sweat and ready for the breakfast.
                                Then a few basic core strength exercises - planks, crunches and press ups. Started out being able to do a pathetic 7 press ups but now up to a record of 16.

Ambition for April:
                                1. Continue with the daily cycles but throw in a few ascents of the Alpe de Howth Head for variety and to see if I die in the attempt.
                                2. If the drill instructor from Full Metal Jacket appears to me and starts roaring that 'I didn't know they stacked shit this high' and telling me to drop and give him twenty, that I'd be able to do it.
                                We'll tackle the healthy diet stuff at a later date. Baby steps.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQT0JcTlpHd8F1LyqzjQ7-6u9qXqH4MtWcO1g&usqp=CAU.jpg
                                Month Two complete.
                                Weight has dropped a bit to 12st 12.
                                Still cycling every day - same route, just faster as my legs now feeling a lot stronger than Month One. Five ascents of the dreaded Alpe De Howth Head completed (all from the steeper Howth side for added pain and suffering). Definitely more enjoyable now.
                                The core strength stuff continues - basic planks (easy enough now), side planks (harder), stomach crunches (funnily enough, always found these pretty easy - probably doing them wrong), press-ups (hard). I just add 1 press-up to the routine every week, so currently doing 17 at a go (could do 20 but would be a sad and unedifying spectacle doing those last couple). Can definitely feel the improvement in muscle tone etc.

Ambition for May:
                                Keep it going.
                                Throw in some flexibility work as well as my back and hamstrings still have all the flexibility of a DUP politician.
                                Diet still a mix of good and bad habits, sure it'll all balance out.

Comment

You should work for the Sun. I think you know well its overpaid ministers we refer to. The optics of a wage increase was pretty bad
                                  The more I think about it, the more I think (anti-populist alert) ministers are underpaid. I know it's a favourite stick to beat politicians with.

You wouldn't ask someone to run a private organisation with 100k+ employees for the salary that the Minister for Heath gets. Any decent candidate would tell you to GTFO.

The pensions and perks are a different issue.

Comment

Please believe me when I say getting the vaccine is the way out. Yes, theoretically there might be a new variant that needs another lockdown. It's extremely unlikely, though. The most likely outcome is that some new variants will appear that will make some people sicker than others, and might even hospitalise and kill some people who've been vaccinated. The severity is unlikely to require additional lockdowns. Certainly the data we're getting out of the UK and Israel shows that all the current known variants are extremely well contained by the existing vaccines. A combination of our hyperalarmist media and some careless remarks from Pfizer's CEO has led to a whole bunch of completely unnecessary panic.

Again, the most likely outcome if we all get vaccinated is that Covid will move to a disease with a similar pattern as a mild seasonal flu. Yes we might need a booster to improve or sustain our immune response in the long term. That's miles better than another lockdown isn't it??

I'm deeply concerned about civil liberties and think our government crossed the line several times during the pandemic. I also think it's unquestionable that civil liberties have to be curtailed temporarily during a pandemic. We have to draw the lines based on scientific evidence. There's no other way. Look at some of the outrageous stories about superspreader events from the summer. Look at what happened at Christmas. It was like everyone thought they could just forget about the virus for one day and it wouldn't matter. We are deeply irresponsible as a people. Of course we couldn't be trusted to keep each other safe.

I'm deeply concerned about the quality of the advice coming from the WHO and to a lesser extent from NPHET, especially given the extremely weak evidence around mask effectiveness and outdoor transmission. But there's no question that our government has followed the advice from NPHET almost entirely. The few times they pushed back were catastrophic both from a PR perspective and in the actual outcomes.

NOT getting the vaccine is the thing that will cause more breaches of our liberties. Some will be more necessary than others, so let's just take that option off the table. I am once again asking you to get vaccinated.
                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think (anti-populist alert) ministers are underpaid. I know it's a favourite stick to beat politicians with.

You wouldn't ask someone to run a private organisation with 100k+ employees for the salary that the Minister for Heath gets. Any decent candidate would tell you to GTFO.

Pensions and perks are exactly why they dont need top dollar wages . You can do better .

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

Please believe me when I say getting the vaccine is the way out. Yes, theoretically there might be a new variant that needs another lockdown. It's extremely unlikely, though. The most likely outcome is that some new variants will appear that will make some people sicker than others, and might even hospitalise and kill some people who've been vaccinated. The severity is unlikely to require additional lockdowns. Certainly the data we're getting out of the UK and Israel shows that all the current known variants are extremely well contained by the existing vaccines. A combination of our hyperalarmist media and some careless remarks from Pfizer's CEO has led to a whole bunch of completely unnecessary panic.

Again, the most likely outcome if we all get vaccinated is that Covid will move to a disease with a similar pattern as a mild seasonal flu. Yes we might need a booster to improve or sustain our immune response in the long term. That's miles better than another lockdown isn't it??

I'm deeply concerned about civil liberties and think our government crossed the line several times during the pandemic. I also think it's unquestionable that civil liberties have to be curtailed temporarily during a pandemic. We have to draw the lines based on scientific evidence. There's no other way. Look at some of the outrageous stories about superspreader events from the summer. Look at what happened at Christmas. It was like everyone thought they could just forget about the virus for one day and it wouldn't matter. We are deeply irresponsible as a people. Of course we couldn't be trusted to keep each other safe.

I'm deeply concerned about the quality of the advice coming from the WHO and to a lesser extent from NPHET, especially given the extremely weak evidence around mask effectiveness and outdoor transmission. But there's no question that our government has followed the advice from NPHET almost entirely. The few times they pushed back were catastrophic both from a PR perspective and in the actual outcomes.

NOT getting the vaccine is the thing that will cause more breaches of our liberties. Some will be more necessary than others, so let's just take that option off the table. I am once again asking you to get vaccinated.
                                        The bottom line is the lockdown was to protect the vulnerable. The vulnerable are going to be vaccinated. No justification for any more lockdown when this is done unless it's more potent across the age groups.

Comment

Even the Daily Mail thinks the pandemic is over. If that doesn't change Sickpuppy's mind then he's too far gone.

Attached Files
                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

At what point should restrictions around travel, work, gathering attendance etc., be lifted, for those who choose to remain unvaccinated?
                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Pensions and perks are exactly why they dont need top dollar wages . You can do better .
                                              OK, tell us what you think ministers should be paid - and why.

Comment

The bottom line is the lockdown was to protect the vulnerable. The vulnerable are going to be vaccinated. No justification for any more lockdown when this is done unless it's more potent across the age groups.
                                                long covid?

Comment

Month Two complete.
                                                  Still cycling every day - same route, just faster as my legs now feeling a lot stronger than Month One. Five ascents of the dreaded Alpe De Howth Head completed (all from the steeper Howth side for added pain and suffering). Definitely more enjoyable now.
                                                  The core strength stuff continues - basic planks (easy enough now), side planks (harder), stomach crunches (funnily enough, always found these pretty easy - probably doing them wrong), press-ups (hard). I just add 1 press-up to the routine every week, so currently doing 17 at a go (could do 20 but would be a sad and unedifying spectacle doing those last couple). Can definitely feel the improvement in muscle tone etc.

Ambition for May:
                                                  Keep it going.
                                                  Throw in some flexibility work as well as my back and hamstrings still have all the flexibility of a DUP politician.
                                                  Who's going to take on RDIII in the IPB charity boxing match?

Their intellectual sparring is fun and intensely competitive, with the right amount of history and needle. Surely Hitch has to be the number one contender?

I'll pledge €100- right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post

Their intellectual sparring is fun and intensely competitive, with the right amount of history and needle. Surely Hitch has to be the number one contender?

Have you met Hitch? He wouldn't last a round.

Comment

[OQUOTE=Raoul Duke III;n1693025]

OK, tell us what you think ministers should be paid - and why.[/QUOTE]

What they are on is fine . However we both know the add ons make it far more lucrative, especially seen as these folk can do 5 years and take the benefits with them . Us stiffs pay into our own pensions and theirs . These people generally are wealthy . Why not means test their healthy pensions. They hardly need it.

Anyway my point was also the optics during a furlough ridden lockdown of awarding themselves (perceived elite) wage increases
                                                      I dont have the time to drill down to the pension plus add ons.
                                                      But what do they do to justify a pension for so little time invested ? In this case I'm not debating , I'm asking

Comment

long covid?
                                                        Timme me stats joanna, gimme stats Joanna .

Comment

IMO

Comment

The salary is pretty low for the importance and impact of the role but due to a flawed selection process in most cases it is well in excess of the value of the skill set of the people receiving it.

it’s the reason the guy who actually runs the HSE gets paid a lot more than the politician who thinks he does.

Comment

I am not a conspiracy theorist but...
                                                              What’s the over/under % for the times this sentence is follow of utter conspiracy theory.
                                                              Must be 95% or so

I dunno about that. They thought green might be the new gold. Never took off.
                                                              I don’t think a green steak would convince anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

The salary is pretty low for the importance and impact of the role but due to a flawed selection process in most cases it is well in excess of the value of the skill set of the people receiving it.

it’s the reason the guy who actually runs the HSE gets paid a lot more than the politician who thinks he does.
                                                                Or the secretary general of the Dept of Health (who just refused his 80k salary increase)

Comment

Have you met Hitch? He wouldn't last a round.
                                                                  The pre-fight trash talking has begun in earnest I see.

Comment

The optics of a fight between RD & Hitch wouldnt really suit the true narrative of the BBV, however, if exectued through a third-party delivery marketing funnel, it may go viral. Reach out to me and we can touch base during these challenging times to facilitate this happening going forward in the face of our "New Normal" times.

Down with the kids I am.

Comment

RDIII is thinking of the pre-covid smoking Hitch. Hasn't he gone up a few weight classes since? Could be a surprise in store.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

I picked up one of these in a canaries a few years ago and promptly forgot about it,
                                                                        having recently rediscoverd it, it's a revelation for garlic, onions and the like
                                                                        https://thelittlespanishgraterplate....dern%20kitchen.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                          The optics of a fight between RD & Hitch wouldnt really suit the true narrative of the BBV, however, if exectued through a third-party delivery marketing funnel, it may go viral. Reach out to me and we can touch base during these challenging times to facilitate this happening going forward in the face of our "New Normal" times.

Down with the kids I am.
                                                                          I'll be selling NFTs of the knockout blow via online auction.
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just ordered a delivery burrito rather than spend a few minutes in the kitchen. Thats where I'm at in terms of fitness preparation.
                                                                            "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Surely for RDIII v hitch it would be fencing

Comment

Fencing? Hmmm.....

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

Surely for RDIII v hitch it would be fencing
                                                                                  Knew there was a reason he was doing all these knife skills.

How much did he pay you to put up that post?

Comment

Comment

I feel once you get past the first ten minutes it becomes quite smart. Really should have invested in a better microphone at some stage though.

Comment

Month Two complete.

Ambition for May:
                                                                                        Keep it going.
                                                                                        Good going! I am currently 194lbs->187lbs, losing 30 more would be good. Started running, walking etc and football is back soon.
                                                                                        Also just started getting sponsored by Myprotein so will have to start weightlifting a bit to use the stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Good going! I am currently 194lbs->187lbs, losing 30 more would be good. Started running, walking etc and football is back soon.
                                                                                          Also just started getting sponsored by Myprotein so will have to start weightlifting a bit to use the stuff.
                                                                                          I understand the reason for old man dukes flaws, but aren't you quite young? And you use pounds as weight? Is that from reading American stuff a lot. It was just never a thing for us for some reason. Maybe Ennis was just more advanced.

Comment

I understand the reason for old man dukes flaws, but aren't you quite young? And you use pounds as weight? Is that from reading American stuff a lot. It was just never a thing for us for some reason. Maybe Ennis was just more advanced.
                                                                                            I was raised on lbs but I use kg personally, I just talk to auld lads in the manner of which they are used.
                                                                                            I tend to think about both with weight loss as lbs seem like more from a psychological POV. Lose pounds but gain kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

I was raised on lbs but I use kg personally, I just talk to auld lads in the manner of which they are used.
                                                                                              I tend to think about both with weight loss as lbs seem like more from a psychological POV. Lose pounds but gain kg.
                                                                                              I like it, know your audience! Yeah there was some point when the teachers just switched I think. Maybe around the introduction of the junior cert.

Comment

I like it, know your audience! Yeah there was some point when the teachers just switched I think. Maybe around the introduction of the junior cert.
                                                                                                There was a pretty serious switch in primary school in the 1970's for me. Then you go home and have to communicate with your parents, and more recently with Americans.
                                                                                                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Is there a reason why the SF whip is paid considerably more than the other party whips?

Comment

What’s the over/under % for the times this sentence is follow of utter conspiracy theory.
                                                                                                    Must be 95% or so

I don’t think a green steak would convince anyone.
                                                                                                    Ignoring the fact that loads of stuff which was conspiracy theory packaged has proven to be non even remotely conspiracy theory, data protection, Snowden etc etc etc. Issue is polarity, digitally aligning us and thus feeding Into real life, as either a or b on a chess board, ignoring middlegrounds, context and culture. Perfectly good reasons to be deeply, deeply concerned re civil liberty stuff, without the lazy mentally labelling the dude a Trumpite etc, same extends to the arrogance and startling self awareness re vaccine stuff. Masses of non discredited, non head the ball scientific community raise reasonable questions re lockdown effectiveness, vaccine stuff etc.
                                                                                                    I personally find it so jarring, not so much the debates, but the nature they take , to the point I have to be really careful what I digest, alas extends to the BB thread. Moving to a retreat in July, with the hope of being digitally totally removed indefinitely.

Comment

Interesting! The first method is the one we are using in the cooking course. Slice it across and in layers three-quarters into the onion and then use the rolling knife technique to cut.
                                                                                                      The method I learned, I think in some book years ago was..

Slice off the hairy rough end, the cut in half through the stalk. It's then quick to peel.

Position the half onion, flat down with the stalk at 12 o'clock. Slice all along, about 80% through. Turn the stalk to 9 o'clock (right handed) then slice right to left again, fully through.

You can finely chop a full onion inside a minute this way.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Lazare; 30-04-21, 18:16.
                                                                                                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Can't stop watching Namastae man's videos, he's a howl

GaySpar is class

​​​​​​​What do people make of his accent?

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                                          Moving to a retreat in July, with the hope of being digitally totally removed indefinitely.
                                                                                                          Where are you off to?

Comment

What do people make of his accent?
                                                                                                            Binged a load of them last night with my Dub missus who was cracking up at them.

Think his accent is fine. Standard Dublin accent and easy to listen to. Not a D4 head, not a skanger type or the real thick Dub accent that grates.

​​​​​​​Or did you mean where do people think he's from?

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post

Binged a load of them last night with my Dub missus who was cracking up at them.

Think his accent is fine. Standard Dublin accent and easy to listen to. Not a D4 head, not a skanger type or the real thick Dub accent that grates.

Or did you mean where do people think he's from?
                                                                                                              Yeah, where he's from and I guess what sort of school or background his accent points to.

The other day people were saying Eoin Murphy was posh but his accent comes across to me as fairly standard south Dublin middle class.

​​​​​​​Let me ask it like this, on a scale between Eoin Murphy and Conor McGregor where would you fit him?

Comment

Let me ask it like this, on a scale between Eoin Murphy and Conor McGregor where would you fit him?
                                                                                                                Not boggers/culchies.

Comment

Just saw this David Squires cartoon RDIII linked the other day good LOL at the reference to Boris Johnson as 'Dear Breeder'

Comment

Yeah, where he's from and I guess what sort of school or background his accent points to.

The other day people were saying Eoin Murphy was posh but his accent comes across to me as fairly standard south Dublin middle class.

Let me ask it like this, on a scale between Eoin Murphy and Conor McGregor where would you fit him?
                                                                                                                    Ah. Well.i don't know Dublin and accents there well enough so can't guess. Never heard of Eoin Murphy and never heard him speak so haven't a clue.

​​​​​​​Just think yer mans accent is fine and easy to listen to.

Comment

It's slightly MacGregor, the accent, no? It's on that end of the scale anyway.

Comment

I'm also guessing that you meant politician Eoghan Murphy, and not the hurler Eoin Murphy.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                                          Fencing? Hmmm.....
                                                                                                                          I reviewed this back in the day here in movie thread great film.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X