Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright I've been wondering too long (without Googling), how does cutting food in different ways change it's taste?

Comment

I see they're talking about having the capacity to vaccinate 450,000 per week by end June. That would be pretty damn impressive if it came to pass - nearly 10% of the total population in 7 days.
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
        Alright I've been wondering too long (without Googling), how does cutting food in different ways change it's taste?
        Think at a basic level it means that things get the proper amount of cooking, not too much, not too little, and everything cooks in the same way. tbh its mainly the recipe itself which is great and the cutting adds an extra sense to it.
        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I don't play golf but I hear the above is how they suck ya in.
          It's just like poker or the odd punt. You keep chasing that feeling. For golf it could be a great strike, miraculous save or long putt. Even when you play shite you'll get 1 or 2 great shots that pull you back in for more punishment the next day.

My cousin was playing golf with me on Monday for the first day back since before Christmas. He was having a mare but he managed to sink his first ever birdie. So the rest of the round was irrelevant and we were both buzzing leaving the course.

Comment

A decent level of reopening on May 10th it seems. Outdoor hospitality June 7th. And a full reopening, like being allowed inside pubs, predicted for July 5th.

Comment

Just got notice of an appointment for the Moderna Vaccine next Monday.
              Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Take one onion

Cut onion in half

Cut one half in large chunks and other as fine as you can

fry them... see

Do the same with a pepper and some mushrooms

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Think at a basic level it means that things get the proper amount of cooking, not too much, not too little, and everything cooks in the same way. tbh its mainly the recipe itself which is great and the cutting adds an extra sense to it.
                  Chef I worked with in England did a trial shift in a Ramsey kitchen once

As soon as he walked into the kitchen they handed him a knife, an onion and told him to cut it.

if they didn't like how he did it, he was gone

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post

It's just like poker or the odd punt. You keep chasing that feeling. For golf it could be a great strike, miraculous save or long putt. Even when you play shite you'll get 1 or 2 great shots that pull you back in for more punishment the next day.

My cousin was playing golf with me on Monday for the first day back since before Christmas. He was having a mare but he managed to sink his first ever birdie. So the rest of the round was irrelevant and we were both buzzing leaving the course.
                    I've had 2 Aces in my life both on separate holes in City West
                    I think I'm world number 1 for greens in regulation misses v holes in 1 the best part of the 2nd Ace was me bragging to the real golfer with us that I'm coming up to the scene of my 1st Ace . As I was yahooing around the golf tee I could see he was dying inside. I dont blame him. I went full mash potatoes yank. Mad it was the same course though

Comment

Got first jab (Pfizer) yesterday at Doctor's surgery. In and out in twenty minutes. Pretty seamless tbf. Absolutely fine after it but woke up to a sore arm this morning.

Comment

I see they're talking about having the capacity to vaccinate 450,000 per week by end June. That would be pretty damn impressive if it came to pass - nearly 10% of the total population in 7 days.
                        Asides from supply which does appear to be picking up the issue now is the extraordinarily cautious but also somewhat arbitrary advice coming from NIAC about who should get what.
                        It will make a huge difference to me whether I get AZ, J&J or an mRNA. Moving out the second dose of AZ to 12 weeks is a very poor decision that effectively punishes anyone who gets it to two extra months of unnecessary restrictions.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So that's where the expression came from

You have to know your onions .

Comment

I get the feeling the national mood is lifting somewhat. The whole reason we went into lockdown was to protect the vulnerable and now that most of them are receiving the vaccine , things look really good. The reports of people being reinfected post vaccine do not take into account that the vaccine is much less potent to them due to vaccination. When you look at how good we were are streamlining the testing , the vaccinations going forward should ramp up and soon enough we’ll all be
                            back to a new normal but a normal that resembles the one we left behind. A word of warning , if I see anyone chewing on an exotic animal I will probably administer a fatal beating. (or at least a battle to the death will be declared)

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Asides from supply which does appear to be picking up the issue now is the extraordinarily cautious but also somewhat arbitrary advice coming from NIAC about who should get what.
                              It will make a huge difference to me whether I get AZ, J&J or an mRNA. Moving out the second dose of AZ to 12 weeks is a very poor decision that effectively punishes anyone who gets it to two extra months of unnecessary restrictions.
                              you don't get a choice in the matter

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                Just got notice of an appointment for the Moderna Vaccine next Monday.
                                Moderna seems to be the coolest of the vaccines, if only for the comparitive rarity

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

Chef I worked with in England did a trial shift in a Ramsey kitchen once

As soon as he walked into the kitchen they handed him a knife, an onion and told him to cut it.

if they didn't like how he did it, he was gone
                                  I think that was probably something Ramsey himself hand to do as a apprentice in Marco Pierre White's kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
                                    [FONT=Calibri][COLOR=#000000]I get the feeling the national mood is lifting somewhat. The whole reason we went into lockdown was to protect the vulnerable and now that most of them are receiving the vaccine , things look really good.
                                    Absolutely, I've got three people that I've been particularly concerned about what would happen if they got infected one fully vaccinated, one has had first mRNA anf the other gets first AZ this weekend.
                                    Feels like an enormous weight lifted and sure I will continue to ty to avoid it for myself as best as I can I don't really have any worries about the virus any more. I'm getting antsy to get to Denmark to catch up with No2 son who I haven't seen for two years and whatever happens vaccine or no vaccine I'll be in London for the birth of no2 grandchild there in August.

Comment

I don't play golf but I hear the above is how they suck ya in.
                                      Wow, I finally understand golf. It's StarCraft2 for boomers.

Comment

Herself's mother (in Scotland) got second jab this morning, flights booked shortly to come across and see her 1st grandchild soon.

Some slog for all involved!

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                          Herself's mother (in Scotland) got second jab this morning, flights booked shortly to come across and see her 1st grandchild soon.

Some slog for all involved!
                                          My dad had the 2nd jab. Seemly he was told it takes about 3 weeks after the 2nd jab until it becomes fully effective.
                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I think that was probably something Ramsey himself hand to do as a apprentice in Marco Pierre White's kitchen
                                            ooh ya, id imagine it would be pretty standard test with those lads, id reckon they wouldn't even watch, just listen to the board

Bit of a shock for him though, a barman who switched to the kitchen in a music venue and trained up to sous chef

Comment

Cool , soon we will be able to round up those fking teenagers and deploy some shite on a stick. Losing the run of themselves terrorising folk . It's like a plague .

Comment

you don't get a choice in the matter
                                                My mother refused AZ and they are trying to get her scheduled for one of the mRNA ones, there are probably a lot of cantankerous older people doing similar.
                                                My father went in too and he got Moderna, she then gets offered AZ and was not happy.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

My dad had the 2nd jab. Seemly he was told it takes about 3 weeks after the 2nd jab until it becomes fully effective.
                                                  yup
                                                  Full course of any one of the following vaccines: Regarded as fully vaccinated after:
                                                  Pfizer-BioNtech Vaccine: BNT162b2 (Comirnaty®) 7 days
                                                  Moderna Vaccine: CX-024414 (Moderna®) 14 days
                                                  Oxford-AstraZeneca Vaccine: ChAdOx1-SARS-COV-2 (Vaxzevria® or Covishield) 15 days
                                                  Johnson & Johnson/Janssen Vaccine: Ad26.COV2-S [recombinant] (Janssen®) 14 days

Comment

Here's my fourth and final track. This one is quite different from the others, it's a sad instrumental song documenting a sad time in my life. I'm playing the piano, but everything else is done by very talented musicians. https://open.spotify.com/track/4Ljag...ef5b2d94b649c3

Comment

Been out with the camera a little more lately after it being out of sight out of mind at times. Got out for some early morning sunrises which has been really nice, as much as it sucks at times to be rolling out of bed at 4am/5am it can really make an excellent start to your day.

Was out running in Memorial Park the other week at 6:30am it was a beautiful morning but still really cold out so the parts of the River Liffey that were still in shade had the steam rising up from it giving it an eerie feeling. Rounding a corner on the run and stumbled over one of the most stunning sunrises I'd ever seen don't think having my camera would've done it justice.

Trying to post the Twitter links but it doesn't seem to be displaying properly but you can find the pics HERE - HERE & HERE

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                        http://www.Candlestine.com

My flatmate started this site selling candles. She is great, relentlessly entrepreneurial and optimistic. If anyone fancies supporting a small cottage business. The candles are pretty great.
                                                        ...Candles look lovely- could be a good present... Only thing i would say for the website is it's very hard to read the description where it says "Soy Wax" as the writing is against the candle backdrop... Also, if they are doing gift boxes, would be cool to see those as an option... Herself likes some candles so will buy a couple...#supportIPB...

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

Wow, I finally understand golf. It's StarCraft2 for boomers.
                                                          I figured out Line of duty; it's Masterchef for people who are not quite so bored.

Comment

I read yesterday that they are changing it to counting as fully vaccinated three weeks after first shot of AZ, precisely to address that 'unfairness'.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                              Been out with the camera a little more lately after it being out of sight out of mind at times. Got out for some early morning sunrises which has been really nice, as much as it sucks at times to be rolling out of bed at 4am/5am it can really make an excellent start to your day.

Was out running in Memorial Park the other week at 6:30am it was a beautiful morning but still really cold out so the parts of the River Liffey that were still in shade had the steam rising up from it giving it an eerie feeling. Rounding a corner on the run and stumbled over one of the most stunning sunrises I'd ever seen don't think having my camera would've done it justice.

Trying to post the Twitter links but it doesn't seem to be displaying properly but you can find the pics HERE - HERE & HERE
                                                              wow that's lovely! Never even heard of the memorial park.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post

ooh ya, id imagine it would be pretty standard test with those lads, id reckon they wouldn't even watch, just listen to the board

Bit of a shock for him though, a barman who switched to the kitchen in a music venue and trained up to sous chef
                                                                I’m sure it’s a common “do this simple task well” test in the the industry. It’s just that I think Marco in particular was known for. He set it as a challenge on Masterchef Australia and did it without looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

My mother refused AZ and they are trying to get her scheduled for one of the mRNA ones, there are probably a lot of cantankerous older people doing similar.
                                                                  My father went in too and he got Moderna, she then gets offered AZ and was not happy.
                                                                  No offence to your mother who I'm sure is a living saint like every Irish mammy but does she really think this is a choice? I'm a bit disappointed that they would think she can be given an option.

It's take what you're given or GTFO, no?

Comment

We played there as kids , picnic watching the rowers go by then up to the gardens /park , a special atmosphere always in those gardens . Every time I return the senses feel stirred with the same familiar presence. The place is quiet spiritual in my view.

Comment

No offence to your mother who I'm sure is a living saint like every Irish mammy but does she really think this is a choice? I'm a bit disappointed that they would think she can be given an option.

yeah - if that gets around - that you can complain and be sorted out with the vaccine of your choice, we'll be at this forever.

Comment

We played there as kids , picnic watching the rowers go by then up to the gardens /park , a special atmosphere always in those gardens . Every time I return the senses feel stirred with the same familiar presence. The place is quiet spiritual in my view.
                                                                        ah that's lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post

I’m sure it’s a common “do this simple task well” test in the the industry. It’s just that I think Marco in particular was known for. He set it as a challenge on Masterchef Australia and did it without looking.

Interesting! The first method is the one we are using in the cooking course. Slice it across and in layers three-quarters into the onion and then use the rolling knife technique to cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                            Here's my fourth and final track. This one is quite different from the others, it's a sad instrumental song documenting a sad time in my life. I'm playing the piano, but everything else is done by very talented musicians. https://open.spotify.com/track/4Ljag...ef5b2d94b649c3
                                                                            That is beautiful, I'm feeling a little down today and that song nearly brought me to tears. Keep up the good work.

It's not too far from where I live and don't ever remember being in it until recently.
                                                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Yep. Back of the line if you refuse your turn imo. Just get one and stop holding things up.

Comment

Feels like an enormous weight lifted and sure I will continue to ty to avoid it for myself as best as I can I don't really have any worries about the virus any more.
                                                                                Must be just my reading skills but do you mean you are trying to avoid getting the vaccine?

Comment

What is her reasoning for refusing it?

Comment

Innocent question

Are the vaccines all Vegan friendly ?

Comment

Must be just my reading skills but do you mean you are trying to avoid getting the vaccine?
                                                                                      More likely my writing skills

No, I'll continue trying to avoid the virus but I'm no longer worried about it. Since last march its been a constant grinding paranoia about how I would manage if I was to get it, there was no realistic plan B for getting cover for the stuff I need to do day in day out.
                                                                                      The minute I'm called or sooner if my friend the pharmacist starts dispensing I'll have my sleeve rolled up for whatever version is available.
                                                                                      I'm glad to hear that they are going to treat people as vaccinated three weeks after first dose of AZ, that was a huge anomaly, I just hope that they will accept that in Copenhagen.

Comment

What is her reasoning for refusing it?
                                                                                        Probably blood clots, haven't asked tbh.

Comment

Innocent question

Most aren't, they may use egg or some such. But it is about lessening harm to others so vegans would take them.

Comment

None of the Covid vaccines contain egg, nor I believe any animal products.

Comment

Innocent question

They'll all have been tested on animals the traditional methods used to create AZ and J&J are probably cultured using eggs or some other animal cell as a base, that's how they do it for flu. Don't know about the mRNA manufacturing process but the whole low temperature thing is because they are delivered suspended in fat cells of some sort so they may be of animal origin.

The smugness that radiates off vegans should be enough to protect them from the virus and as they have no social contact with real people we should be safe from their contagion

Comment

As per our Only Fans investigation, there's a Reddit question on it atm about why do people use it, here are some curated replies:

Because I got tired of seeing dudes nailing their stepsisters over and over again.

I heard the perfect explanation recently. “Yeah porn may be easy to find for free but those pornstars didn’t sit beside me in math class” Suddenly I understood everything LMAO

To support the people that cant even afford clothes

Free range, farm to table organic fair trade porn.

I wanna see your tits you want 5 bucks it’s a fair deal imo

I want to support my wife and help her algorithm

Because she loves me

To fund my ex girlfriends drug habit, it’s my subtle revenge

For the articles. (not many votes for this as the Reddit young whippersnappers won't have got the reference)

Comment

Most aren't, they may use egg or some such. But it is about lessening harm to others so vegans would take them.

That's nice of youse

Comment

I'm glad to hear that they are going to treat people as vaccinated three weeks after first dose of AZ, that was a huge anomaly, I just hope that they will accept that in Copenhagen.
                                                                                                    I can't see it online anywhere though. (its separate to the current proposal that people with one jab of pfizer who previously had covid count as fully vaccinated after the first jab). So I don't know the extent to which it is a proposal or a plan.

Comment

Think its an open secret at this stage that the superior performance of pfizer is due to an all-beef diet.

Comment

Probably blood clots, haven't asked tbh.
                                                                                                        Did you discuss the odds with her (1 in a million) and the fact that these all occurred in women under 55, or would this just be pointless?

Comment

If your mother refused AZ and has to wait longer to get another because of blood cloths she is an idiot.

My MIL still smokes 10 a day and is well into her 60s. Keeps banging on about AZ and dreading getting it. Can't get her head around the 1 in a million talk and worries about it (Media's fault)
                                                                                                          All this despite being shorter than even money to die of a smoking related illness.

Mental.

She's scheduled for AZ on Saturday and is getting it but from the commentary you'd think she was getting a lethal injection.

Comment

Did you discuss the odds with her (1 in a million) and the fact that these all occurred in women under 55, or would this just be pointless?
                                                                                                            She is a force of nature. You don't convince my mother of anything, you hope to survive an encounter. The pictures she has of her with Gerry Adams and Leo with fear in their eyes is all anybody needs to know. She will get one of the other vaccines soon and it will just be a Tuesday vaccine to her. She already called me saying she is being sorted out. I never know how she gets the things done that she does, she is relentless. I think social engineering is coined after her.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-04-21, 15:34.

Comment

To be perfectly honest I’ve sparred with myself mentally in relation to becoming veggie. (not a vegan) I have tried twice for a period but failed each time. Even today I went for a salad roll and deliberately left off the meat when ordering The girl said , you want beef, chicken or ham? CHICKEN I snapped quickly. (almost salivating – Tar is puking right now) So I had a chicken salad roll and mentally shifted the blame to her for waving it in front of my nose like that, after all I am an animal myself. However I hate what happens to animals , I really do but I can’t square it with myself nor resist the urge to keep eating them. One meat I have managed to kick to touch is PORK. It’s gone. Chances of becoming a veggie 20% , a Vegan – ZERO. A meat eating heartless thoughtless bastard 80%

Can’t we simply allow the animals to die of old age and eat their decrepit deceased carcasses? IS this a thing? Is there a market for eating deceased animals that get their annual vacations plus sick leave and pension or is that meat too low of a quality meat to enjoy? We can call it Greygan . Then we have fish who up until recently were deemed to experience no pain and now some fking cod has revealed all that they do indeed feel pain and to fk off dragging them out of the river by their jaws. This piece of info was a real let down. I fully believed fish were living in a state of permanent anaesthesia, now it seems they silently cry out wtf to themselves when caught by rod or net. I don’t know what to think any more and now I’m hungry talking about food I shouldn’t eat but now craving more than ever. . btw I refuse to eat Lamb or Veal also. (throwing those two in with the pork ban)

Comment

FWIW, 2nd shots for all vaccines in the UK have been moved to 3 months

Comment

To be perfectly honest I’ve sparred with myself mentally in relation to becoming veggie. (not a vegan) I have tried twice for a period but failed each time. Even today I went for a salad roll and deliberately left off the meat when ordering The girl said , you want beef, chicken or ham? CHICKEN I snapped quickly. (almost salivating – Tar is puking right now) So I had a chicken salad roll and mentally shifted the blame to her for waving it in front of my nose like that, after all I am an animal myself. However I hate what happens to animals , I really do but I can’t square it with myself nor resist the urge to keep eating them. One meat I have managed to kick to touch is PORK. It’s gone. Chances of becoming a veggie 20% , a Vegan – ZERO. A meat eating heartless thoughtless bastard 80%

Can’t we simply allow the animals to die of old age and eat their decrepit deceased carcasses? IS this a thing? Is there a market for eating deceased animals that get their annual vacations plus sick leave and pension or is that meat too low of a quality meat to enjoy? We can call it Greygan . Then we have fish who up until recently were deemed to experience no pain and now some fking cod has revealed all that they do indeed feel pain and to fk off dragging them out of the river by their jaws. This piece of info was a real let down. I fully believed fish were living in a state of permanent anaesthesia, now it seems they silently cry out wtf to themselves when caught by rod or net. I don’t know what to think any more and now I’m hungry talking about food I shouldn’t eat but now craving more than ever. . btw I refuse to eat Lamb or Veal also. (throwing those two in with the pork ban)

Sounds like if you wanted to do anything it would be quite gradual, shifting behaviour can be hard. It might look like finding things that are convenient to you to do such as making veggie choices initially over going whole hog. Eating more veggie at home rather than eating veggie out, or the other way around and so on. If you cook, learning how to make veggie meals that you actually enjoy and adding them to your repertoire, finding out what is in a supermarket that you could eat instead and trying it out.I wouldn't look at these things as all or nothing, just doing what you can. There are people that eat roadkill for sure, as long as you don't end up driving around looking for the occasion to create an opportune meal it can't be too bad haha. Animals are generally killed quite young in their life cycle as it is more profitable, so the older animals don't really get to live to that age. I did like some pictures I saw before of animals let grow old. https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ed-to-grow-old
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 29-04-21, 15:55.

Comment

I suppose if there was a mest substitute that tastes the same with the same texture I might be persuaded to give it a go.

Was on a mountain walk the other day and the lambs were gambolling around (the little degen bastards!, oh wait a minute gam-boh-ling). Havent had roast lamb in ages.

Comment

I think that the second meat substitutes are competitive in flavour, texture, nutritional content and price to meat, that it becomes a no brainer to move to them solely.

I often try the new versions of "meat substitute" (often at serious premium to what they're trying to substitute) and though progress is evident, we're still millions of miles away.

Comment

Some Neck sent wrong way in La Touche. Not sure it was wise to try chase them down after it but i guess hindsight is a great thing.Not a good look from a Racing PR point of view.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Dice75; 29-04-21, 16:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                          Some Neck sent wrong way in La Touche. Not sure it was wise to try chase them down after it but i guess hindsight is a great thing.Not a good look from a Racing PR point of view.
                                                                                                                          I think it's the fact it doesn't run again this week is the reason he gave chase.
                                                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X