This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I'm definitely going to be handing over €50, but my point was fundamentally correct! There is going to be a deal and it was never in doubt despite the media theatre over the last few years. The EU always makes a deal. The debate now is merely about which week it will happen in. So I feel you've both learned an important lesson about overtrusting media stories and earned some cash.
    Yes, well now I feel like both a loser and a winner simultaneously.

The sweet, sweet smell of Hitch cash will have to sooth my furrowed brow.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Did a cold turkey on smoking and it was pretty much a mild withdrawal thankfully. Missed it most after dinner or having coffee but within a few weeks that faded. Funnily enough when the smoking ban came in resumed the habit as all the crack was outside! Started at 17 years old.Probably smoked for 10 years in total. Occasionally had one when out drinking but doesn't look like we will be getting a chance to fo that in the near future.

PS
      Quite enjoyed those synthetic opiates the GP prescribed when I had shingles. Potentially very addictive...hmmm...wish I had me some of that good stuff man
      Last edited by dinekes; 16-10-20, 11:24.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
        ionapaul I think you're underselling how amazing a drug nicotine is. It's fucking whopper and I miss it every day.
        Seriously? it's an absolutely pathetically wimpy high (and i was a heavy smoker for 20 years). as SP said, it's just an itch. Give me Class As (even alcohol) any day of the week!!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

Seriously? it's an absolutely pathetically wimpy high (and i was a heavy smoker for 20 years). as SP said, it's just an itch. Give me Class As (even alcohol) any day of the week!!
            It has multiple measurable effects including mood regulation, attention increase and reduction in appetite. Anyone who thinks the only high you get is from the relief of cravings is full of shit. There's tons of ongoing research into nicotine's therapeutic benefits. If it wasn't so ridiculously addictive we'd all be getting it prescribed for a long list of mental and physical conditions.
            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

It has multiple measurable effects including mood regulation, attention increase and reduction in appetite. Anyone who thinks the only high you get is from the relief of cravings is full of shit. There's tons of ongoing research into nicotine's therapeutic benefits. If it wasn't so ridiculously addictive we'd all be getting it prescribed for a long list of mental and physical conditions.
              I got a chuckle out of that whilst looking at your' leave Britney alone' picture .

Comment

Boris does not sound like a man who's about to cut a deal.

Comment

we don't smoke for any of those therapeutic benefits though do we? and as far as smoking goes, the negatives far outweigh the positives. I've got no issue in nicotine being used therapeutically, but it certainly won't be administered via a cigarette!

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    It is so, so, so mad that tobacco/nicotine products were ever legal and so commonly available. I am fully convinced that in 100 years, when the tobacco industry is dust, people will look back on the 20th century in particular and wonder WTF went on that various low level drugs were illegal, but the fantastically addictive and very harmful tobacco products were fucking everywhere.
                    Tobacco has been smoked wherever there has been tobacco since time immemorial, and it has been cultivated for about seven thousand years. I agree that people will look back on drug prohibition with puzzlement.

Andy is right that it has a range of positive effects, and that Alan Carr nonsense that it only removes the negative effect of withdrawal is an untrue but possibly useful artifice to convince some people it's not worth it. It is particularly helpful to better regulate sensory gating in the brain (filtering out irrelevant sensory stimuli from reaching awareness) which is a feature of a number of mental health disorders, and helps explain why smoking is far more prevalent among those with mental health difficulties.

*This post is brought to you byPhilip Morris International, your partner is smoking your way to better mental health and happiness. Try our new menthol range.*

Comment

Comment

Comment

As we're on the topic I'm happy to report I'm off them six weeks.

Comment

I listened to a fascinating podcast this morning about a man who made friends with an octopus.

Comment

On Smoking, I was talking to my granny yesterday and she told me she was having a tooth extracted in the fifties, the dentist was finding it so hard he took a break to have a cigarette!

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Tobacco has been smoked wherever there has been tobacco since time immemorial, and it has been cultivated for about seven thousand years. I agree that people will look back on drug prohibition with puzzlement.

Andy is right that it has a range of positive effects, and that Alan Carr nonsense that it only removes the negative effect of withdrawal is an untrue but possibly useful artifice to convince some people it's not worth it. It is particularly helpful to better regulate sensory gating in the brain (filtering out irrelevant sensory stimuli from reaching awareness) which is a feature of a number of mental health disorders, and helps explain why smoking is far more prevalent among those with mental health difficulties.

*This post is brought to you byPhilip Morris International, your partner is smoking your way to better mental health and happiness. Try our new menthol range.*
                                Spoken like a true Bill Hicks fan .

Comment

Comment

vape, you mean? The lockdown has kinda helped, as it was always around the 20th beer that my personal resolve faded away quite rapidly.
                                    No, cigarettes. I was definitely at the stage where I was drinking more so I could smoke as I 'only smoke when I'm drinking'. I've had a few nights with a good few bevvies consumed and have been fine. Dunno how but it's almost by magic I have had no issues packing them in, no cravings or anything.

I've actually taken to drinking a few of the non-alcoholic Lidl pilsners during the week also. Find I get a lovely mellow feeling from them despite there not being any booze in it. I was reading subsequently that there have been studies showing you get all the dopamine without the hangover, which is nice.

Comment

It seems there are better drugs for all of these - benzos and ssris for mood regulation, adderal for attentional increase, and I'm not sure the reduction in appetite one is a health benefit - more a side effect of being poisoned by nicotine and that suppressing appetite. Can't imagine any study has said that nicotine is better than existing medications for managing these things.
                                      amphetamines are very commonly prescribed as an appetite suppressant

Comment

The possibility of another lockdown has made me book in for a haircut that I don't need for at least another month... 15 year-old me would punch me very hard in the arm

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post

No, cigarettes. I was definitely at the stage where I was drinking more so I could smoke as I 'only smoke when I'm drinking'. I've had a few nights with a good few bevvies consumed and have been fine. Dunno how but it's almost by magic I have had no issues packing them in, no cravings or anything.

I've actually taken to drinking a few of the non-alcoholic Lidl pilsners during the week also. Find I get a lovely mellow feeling from them despite there not being any booze in it. I was reading subsequently that there have been studies showing you get all the dopamine without the hangover, which is nice.
                                          if you can find it, try the brewdog nanny state alcohol free beer. lovely beer

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

amphetamines are very commonly prescribed as an appetite suppressant
                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

If we're going into lockdown again, you probably need all the drugs you can get.

I'll likely stick to alcohol but am open to any suggestions.

Comment

Comment

I'm definitely going to be handing over €50, but my point was fundamentally correct! There is going to be a deal and it was never in doubt despite the media theatre over the last few years. The EU always makes a deal. The debate now is merely about which week it will happen in. So I feel you've both learned an important lesson about overtrusting media stories and earned some cash.
                                                  The first thing to say is the trade talks are over
                                                  - Downing Street

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                      If we're going into lockdown again, you probably need all the drugs you can get.

I'll likely stick to alcohol but am open to any suggestions.

Comment

You just fundamentally don't get it. This means precisely nothing. Like the previous 500 times he or similar to him have said this.
                                                        Do you still use Feedly?

Comment

Comment

You just fundamentally don't get it. This means precisely nothing. Like the previous 500 times he or similar to him have said this.
                                                            No, I do get it.

There's a very hard deadline that is coming up very fast. If you're still shouting about walking away and going alone, the EU (who have given up on you anyway) will let you do precisely that and you become the ultimate cautionary tale - the country that ate itself.

Let me win my bet and then we can have another review of your outstanding take on the trade negotiations. If indeed there are any more.

Comment

Had a completely unnecessary and slightly weird, inappropriate work Skype call this morning.

We're working on a new A/c who historically imported to Ireland and then distributed to the EU from here. With Brexit on the horizon, they are looking at sending some stuff direct to the UK so I sent one of my offices over there an email to get their rates yesterday morning.

This morning I get a Skype call from one of the women there to tell me that she had been quite busy and would look at it this morning, which was a bit odd as it would be unusual to get it back within 24 hours.

Then, just before the call ends, she says

'Oh, by the way, I love your beard, it's absolutely fantastic' (Most people have a profile pic on their work Skype/E-mail)

Me : 'Eh, thanks, I've given it a bit of a trim since that photo was taken'

Her : ' Oh no, don't don't do that, it amazing the way it is - I'll have those rates straight over to you'

Me : 'Ok, thanks...'

Obviously, I felt the need to tell Mrs Lao Lao just how lucky she is as I am clearly hot property and women in general clearly want to get into my pants. Her response was somewhat expected with a line of 'Look at ya, happy as Larry with a compliment - You're some whore!'

Women, eh!

Comment

Comment

I probably shouldn't talk about the ills of smoking anyway, considering the industry I work in!

Comment

nope. had to give it up. that perennial problem of too much news building up and then feeling like a failure.
                                                                    Preaching to the choir on that.

I've been easing myself back into consuming some more stuff again.

That's not to say, my feeling of failure was not very much around.

The golf obsession over the past 6 months meant consistent trips down YouTube rabbit holes resulting in exceptional confidence all week. That then resulted in me not quite being able to figure out how McIlroy can swing a club so fast and I can't.

The feeling of failure is generally at it's most salient around 9am on a Sunday morning.

Comment

And notably the euro-pound exchange markets have barely budged on the day. Its basic negotiation101 - you need to create a sense of crisis to encourage concession. The problem is that Boris is so bad at this is that the only person he could persuade to believe him was some poor cricketing fan in Dublin.
                                                                      I could point out that you cost yourself €50 by believing him.

But I'll be the bigger man and in the spirit of not tapping the glass etc....

Comment

Now, onto more serious matters.

I am adding one more bet to my portfolio - Biden to win Alaska at 4/1.

Tiny state (population-wise) and very under-polled. There is a poll due out today.
                                                                        538 have Biden at 23% which is basically pulled out of their ass. RCP have Trump +3 which is likewise.

Small bet here for the craic. Was tempted to add Missouri at 7s too. Another under-polled state, which has some large Dem cities. If they can be energised to vote and Trump is clearly losing, it's the kind of state that could just tilt off its axis...

Comment

Mightily is the new Bigly
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Savannah Guthrie: "QAnon is this theory that Democrats are a Satanic pedophile ring and that you are the savior of that. Can you, just once and for all, state that is completely not true and disavow QAnon in it's entirety?"

Donald Trump: "I know nothing about QAnon. I know very little about it... I do know they are very much against pedophilia, they fight it very hard, but I know nothing about it."

Savannah Guthrie: "They believe it is a Satanic cult run by the deep state."

Donald Trump: "I'll tell you what I do know about. I know about Antifa and I know about the Radical Left, and I know how violent they are and how viscious they are... Can I be honest? I just don't know about QAnon."

Savannah Guthrie: "You do know."

Donald Trump: "I don't know. No, I don't know... Let me just tell you, what I do hear about it, is they are very strongly against pedophilia and I agree with that. I mean, I do agree with that, and I agree with that strongly."

Savannah Guthrie: "Okay, but there is not a Satanic pedophile cult lead by the deep state?"

Donald Trump: "I don't know that."

Savannah Guthrie: "You don't know that?!"

Donald Trump: "No, I don't know that. And neither do you."
                                                                              Very. Stable. Genius.
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Moar Bert

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

How would one go about finding a list of potential investments that are eligible under the Employment and Investment Incentives Scheme (the new name for the BES)? It strangely doesn't seem to be googleable.
                                                                                  The likes of davy and cantor usually have a annual prospectus. It's a while since I looked at them but I found there were far too many red flags for most, and fees were expressive.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                    smoking a cigarette is like holding up a sign saying 'I'm more likely to be less educated and/or from a low socio-economic background', they litter the place and of course, lead to serious health problems on top of all of that! It's just crazy when you think about it.

I suppose some people *do* look a bit cooler while smoking, so.... swings and roundabouts I guess
                                                                                    All the most fun people I know smoke, think there's only one other person in my main group that doesn't.

Comment

Trump into 2.9, he's a comin...

Comment

Off the cigs sine June 4th and I never would have quit if I hadn't of had a heart attack on that day. I'm 49 and absolutely loved smoking but after doctors explained it was the sole reason for my heart issue it was easy to quit. There are still days I miss them will even sometimes reach for them from time to time, like thinking I'm forgetting them if I'm leaving the house! I can honestly say I wont ever smoke again, just feel so much better as a non smoker.
                                                                                        Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I was looking at Alaska the other night to try to make a case at 8/1.
                                                                                          Vaguely interesting trend of GOP % of Bush 2004 61%, McCain 59%, Romney 54%, Trump 51%.
                                                                                          Dems aren't going up by the same leaps though, seems to be Libertarians and other flotsam picking up the vote.
                                                                                          Down to 6/1 now anyway.
                                                                                          I never did back this. Interesting to see he is 4/1 now as per RD3s post above.

Comment

BringitonBoris in the next at Newcastle seing as its topical

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                              BringitonBoris in the next at Newcastle seing as its topical
                                                                                              Bah, beaten into 2nd by Rum Runner. Shudda done the Rev FC

Comment

Last race in Dundalk looks like the one for Strewels Keane/Foley Reverse FC

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

I never did back this. Interesting to see he is 4/1 now as per RD3s post above.
                                                                                                  I reversed myself on this one after a disappointing poll.

I'd still like to get some action on an absolute blowout result. More likely that the race tilts further Biden's way than it tightens imo. Early voting numbers are encouraging - 22m already.

Comment

Impressed with HJ's Granny's recall!

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                                                                                      Impressed with HJ's Granny's recall!
                                                                                                      I didn't think it was that strange. Pretty sure I remember patients smoking in hospital beds in the 1980s, and sneaking in bottles of beer was commonplace.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                          Last race in Dundalk looks like the one for Strewels Keane/Foley Reverse FC
                                                                                                          You missed the Genesis filly nabbing the place money @20/1, one whose best days are ahead of her.
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

All the other my_uni profs are ganging up on me on twitter. I wonder if this is a modern form of hazing.
                                                                                                              Wasn't clear to me what you meant by 'lockdown denier'. Think a lot of the mess derives from that.

Comment

...

Comment

Like a climate change denier, with the anti science focus. All these idiots clinging onto pseudo science to suppose they are better informed than NPHET.
                                                                                                                  Yeah, but a climate change denier is stating/believing that climate change is a fiction, or caused by reasons other than that which is commonly accepted. I'm not aware of any lockdown deniers, other than those who would prefer a different word to be used.

Comment

S01E06-pojUv2S4-subtitled.jpg

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

The scions of the sports analytics movement undoubtedly transformed their professions. What’s most interesting about the era Beane and Morey operated in is how it was shaped by the cultural narratives of its moment.

A piece I thought a few people might like even if they're not into US sports.

Daryl Morey(NBA General Manager) and Billy Beane(Moneyball) known as leaders in sports analytics both stepped down from their roles in recent days.

A decent piece on how analytics has infiltrated sport and the deference shown by fans to the people who drove it.

Nate Silver gets a mention too for anyone who likes 538

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X