This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Its hard to know how that might play in annual performance evaluation. Do you get points for pissing Paula off or for keeping Paula happy.
    Not that I have looked but I imagine Paula tends to the perma-pissed end of the spectrum.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I saw someone mention you were one of the top 10 contrarians on twitter. You need pepper the feed with some brazzer stories.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post
        So the kids finally off to bed , you flop on the sofa staring at the TV , 20 minutes pass until you realise you are watching Teen Titans . I'll turn it off in a minute .
        Probably makes as much sense as Dark...
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post

Probably makes as much sense as Dark...
          Series 3 is bizarre so far. I do love the ethereal feel to the whole thing though. . I prefer the German with subtitles over dubbing .

Comment

Trump 2.92 this morning, must check again at teatime to test RD's theory

Comment

Those queues to vote may well be voter suppression however people dont queue for hours if they are happy with the status quo.. The 2020 landslide is coming , like you e never seen before , a beautiful landslide .

TRUMP IS TOAST .

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

that'll go down well with his senior voters.

Comment

Hitch, you might find this thread enlightening..

May help explain the ratio..

I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Child benefit increased by 2 cans of guinness in the budget .

Comment

Comment

was probably Kayroo correcting an error in the original Latin

Comment

Child benefit increased by 2 cans of guinness in the budget .
                            3 for me as you get 1.5x for twins

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

was probably Kayroo correcting an error in the original Latin
                              I once corrected a tour guide in the Vatican for suggesting that the passage from Genesis inscribed around the upper wall of the Church of St. Peter was all in Latin. Clearly a part of it had been written in Greek *snorts derisively*
                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Solid follow up though.

#TEAMHITCH

Comment

That does remind me that I must get around to changing my address on the register. Did manage to vote at the old polling station last time though, might just keep that up.

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 14-10-20, 10:17.
                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That does remind me that I must get around to changing my address on the register. Did manage to vote at the old polling station last time though, might just keep that up.
                                      I ended stuck last time as I had to choose between casting a vote in a constituency with SFer who ended up elected after just returning from her holibobs and a SF candidate who thought it was prudent to give it a little "Up Da Ra" in his victory speech.

In the end the fact the former was running a SD candidate won out.
                                      Last edited by Guest; 14-10-20, 10:27.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Prepare to go search for stamps! It seems to be still only by printing out a form and posting it off that you can change the register. I think the reason for having to post a physical form is so that we can keep people gainfully employed typing that form into a web form, which of course you couldn't have done by yourself.
                                            I actually just googled it and still can't quite figure out how you get it done.

Clearly your brilliant exposition on the benefits of the US system was prescient.

Comment

I see, by the way, Raoul that the brexit agreement is firmly in train with only fishing left. When you get down to fishing its done. Fishing is like the permanent 'any other business' of trade deals. Messy, a bit unpredictable, but ultimately nobody gives a fuck. Now whether they will have the good manners to strike the deal before the end of the month is another thing, but hard brexit ain't happening.
                                              isn't Boris's own deadline tomorrow? Although I did stupidly give you until the end of October.

Also; don't underestimate the trickiness of fishing.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Anyone know a good plumber in Dublin 4 to repair a radiator?

Comment

I actually just googled it and still can't quite figure out how you get it done.

Clearly your brilliant exposition on the benefits of the US system was prescient.
                                                      Looks to be fairly straightforward no . Print off RFA3 form, put in old and new address, get signed by the Garda and then post. What the issue?
                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Prepare to go search for stamps! It seems to be still only by printing out a form and posting it off that you can change the register. I think the reason for having to post a physical form is so that we can keep people gainfully employed typing that form into a web form, which of course you couldn't have done by yourself.
                                                        Missing the point of Garda stamp to prove identity, but hey, let not spoil your your daft theory that USA voting process is better than Ireland.
                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Boris is *personally* negotiating today, which surely is only allowed now the deal has got to the stage where he can't fuck it up.
                                                          Boris has never ever fucked anything up thankfully for you

Comment

I read that twitter thread baffled by the fact that nobody was mentioning the need to get your change of address witnessed by a Garda... Then I googled for 15 minutes trying to check whether I was making a mistake...

I don't think I am...

It's the reason I still vote in my homeplace... 20(?) years later. Granted it's only a 30 minute drive.

https://www.checktheregister.ie/appf...f%20Address%20[English].pdf
                                                            Last edited by brianmc; 14-10-20, 12:03. Reason: Links are weird...

Comment

Originally posted by brianmc View Post

I read that twitter thread baffled by the fact that nobody was mentioning the need to get your change of address witnessed by a Garda... Then I googled for 15 minutes trying to check whether I was making a mistake...

I don't think I am...

It's the reason I still vote in my homeplace... 20(?) years later. Granted it's only a 30 minute drive.

https://www.checktheregister.ie/appf...f%20Address%20[English].pdf
                                                              If you look at the RFA3 form you will see the need for a Garda stamp.

The page you requested could not be found. Please use our sitemap to try and find the section you were looking for.

Why google when you can just read the form which is fairly basic.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

If you look at the RFA3 form you will see the need for a Garda stamp.

The page you requested could not be found. Please use our sitemap to try and find the section you were looking for.

Why google when you can just read the form which is fairly basic.
                                                                Started with the form.

Baffled by the lack of mention, I googled for alternatives.

Form would be linked in my post if links work correctly.

Comment

Missing the point of Garda stamp to prove identity, but hey, let not spoil your your daft theory that USA voting process is better than Ireland.
                                                                  On the Garda stamp to prove identity...

Our local station is 15 minutes drive away. The Gardai there don't know me. The opening hours are "if there's a car outside, try knocking, if there isn't, don't bother". For other things (kids passport) we drove to another town where the Garda station had real opening hours and a reception window. They did what we needed but queried the fact that we weren't at our "local" station. Proof of identity was my drivers' license. Hitch is right... it could be better linked up. The Gardai are just wasting their time (and mine) doing it on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

Oh that looks good. Where is that available?
                                                                    "On Tuesday, October 13, Totally Under Control will be available on-demand in NEON’s digital store, or via Apple TV/iTunes, Amazon Prime, FandangoNow, Google Play, YouTube, or Vudu. You can pre-order the film in the NEON digital store now. Next week, Totally Under Control will be available to stream on Hulu."
                                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Been a fan of Jonny lang since the 90s . Cant believe hes nearly 40 now . Those Aussie boys reminded me him . So this morning is Jonny Lang time. I think someone on here didnt rate him when I mentioned back in the day but Hes fecking good imo.

Comment

Comment

I feel what happened in episode 85 of Hitch's Twitter discussions was he was making a reasonably valid point that the registration process for voting here seems unnecessarily archaic.

States in the US and elsewhere make it far easier to register to vote than in Ireland. The archaic Irish system looks increasingly antiquated as the younger generation rarely fill out written information and unless we streamline the process, younger people simply won't bother.

Hitch went with "It's easier to vote in the US than it is in Ireland" when really it should have been "It's easier to register to vote in the US than it is in Ireland".

Comment

We might get a sweat out of our bet yet Hitch

David Frost, who has been in talks with the EU team led by Michel Barnier this week, will inform the prime minister that a further two weeks of daily talks could result in the remaining gaps being bridged.
                                                                            01-Nov would be ideal:

Should Johnson accept Frost’s advice, as is almost certain, sources suggested it would require a step up in intensity by the EU in order for a deal to most likely emerge in early November, although some signs of compromise are emerging.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                              Amazon prime day today apparently- gobshites slobbering over shoddy tat (often fake shoddy tat)
                                                                              Sad
                                                                              Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Survey of older boys on here or perv younger lads . Would Amy Coney B get it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
                                                                                  I feel what happened in episode 85 of Hitch's Twitter discussions was he was making a reasonably valid point that the registration process for voting here seems unnecessarily archaic.

States in the US and elsewhere make it far easier to register to vote than in Ireland. The archaic Irish system looks increasingly antiquated as the younger generation rarely fill out written information and unless we streamline the process, younger people simply won't bother.

Hitch went with "It's easier to vote in the US than it is in Ireland" when really it should have been "It's easier to register to vote in the US than it is in Ireland".
                                                                                  I don't necessarily agree with that. Hitch was trying to argue that everything should be done online, but the issue with that is there then would be no physical verification of ID which would leave the system open to fraud. There has to be checks in place and proof of Irish citizenship etc.

It is really not that hard to change address or vote or register. Just because it is not all not online it is perceived to be hard... I think there is an laziness factor in play here.

Comment

Survey of older boys on here or perv younger lads . Would Amy Coney B get it ?
                                                                                    You need to cop on Solks.

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

It is really not that hard to change address or vote or register. Just because it is not all not online it is perceived to be hard... I think there is an laziness factor in play here.
                                                                                      Hitches hatred of the post office is at a level you rarely get outside of organised religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post

You need to cop on Solks.
                                                                                        it's a No from mr Magoo

Comment

HMMM I dunno I can be swayed . Looks good in this.

Attached Files

Comment

Kayroo, would you translate that judgement against G O'D the other day into plain English for a simpleton? https://www.courts.ie/acc/alfresco/8.../pdf#view=fitH

Comment

I don't necessarily agree with that. Hitch was trying to argue that everything should be done online, but the issue with that is there then would be no physical verification of ID which would leave the system open to fraud. There has to be checks in place and proof of Irish citizenship etc.

Absolutely a laziness factor involved, a laziness factor that is not easily altered.

I believe the risk management element is a far easier thing to address than persuading younger and younger people to follow the older method, whether laziness is the deterrent or not, it won't be easy to persuade people.

I understand the fear around systematic fraud but it's not as though we are pioneering new processes. Plenty of other countries have adopted far easier processes and to my knowledge I don't think systematic fraud has raised major concerns due to those methods.

Cambridge Analytica and similar seem a far bigger issue to voting integrity.

Comment

voting on a friday is a pain in the arse if you dont work near your polling station and fancy a few post work drinks

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

voting on a friday is a pain in the arse if you dont work near your polling station and fancy a few post work drinks
                                                                                                  They open at 7am. Most people could fit it in before work.

Comment

Ugh, just recorded an hour of myself doing a training video. What a pain in the hole.

Should have paid an actor.

Comment

Ugh, just recorded an hour of myself doing a training video. What a pain in the hole.

Or just designed it better

Training videos have to be the most painful way to spend time in an office environment.
                                                                                                      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Painful experience. I don't particularly like the sound of my own voice when played back. When I played the video I did back I couldn't believe the amounts of ams and ahs were in it. Had to record a do over. Deffo record in small segments and glue together.

Comment

Comment

5 deaths, 1095 cases. Gulp.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                              Trump 2.92 this morning, must check again at teatime to test RD's theory
                                                                                                              3.0 at teatime.....predicting 2.85 when i wake up in morning

Comment

For more effective training brandish a rolled up magazine and selectively when you suspect someone is listing off like the space cadets they are they can be corrected with a swift crack of the rolled up magazine.across the back of the ear just to let them know you are aware, The catatonic little blighters will be sure to be more ready to the task from the off the next time around..

Comment

Or given your underlings nerdlike qualities you could have started it with a "Captains log, stardate 14102020" then pretend to get interrupted by an urgent message from Starfleet Command "What's that you say, an entire planet of scantily clad nymphomaniacs urgently need assistance, were on the way, Duke out." "Helmsman plot a course.... warp factor 10"

Comment

Spotted a parrotless Twink just now in Tesco. #TwinkWatch

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

3.0 at teatime.....predicting 2.85 when i wake up in morning
                                                                                                                      Loads of good polls today. Biden up in Georgia, North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Michigan.

Trump has to win all of these and a Rust Belt flip.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X