This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Murdrum View Post
    NI breaking records again at 1080 cases. I haven't looked much in the past few months in terms of any gaps in testing but assuming it's similar, the probability of us getting into similar trouble and into L5 must be relatively high now.

I heard a couple of weeks ago about a potential mid term extension with an eye on locking everyone down for an extended 2 week period but I was quite dismissive at the time. Clearly the person was right about an extended midterm being on the cards so not quite as confident now.
    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
      Sigh...I thought property would be handy and maybe might save a few quid.
      Place we are interested in has increased 20k in less than 24 hours.

aiming here
      Find Semi Detached Houses for Sale in Lucan, Dublin. Search 23 Semi Detached Houses for sale on Daft.ie now.

but the price 370+ is fucking unreal imo
      offer accepted on a place.
      Now the fun starts. Weirdly half hoping it falls through as I know for a fact the Mrs was led up the garden path and path and offered at least 4k over what it should have been
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
        some really decent series on amazon prime at the moment.

zerozerozero packs one hell of a punch, and a French one i've spoken about before is now on the platform: The bureau. A fantastic spy series. Arguably one of the best French series ever
        Anyone watching series 2 of The Boys? Think it is really GREAT. Homelander an epic villain.

Finally watched HBO's Watchmen recently, really liked it. Have series 2 of What We Do In The Shadows ready to go also, the first one was hilarious. Matt Berry is just a funny, funny person.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post

Anyone watching series 2 of The Boys? Think it is really GREAT. Homelander an epic villain.

Finally watched HBO's Watchmen recently, really liked it. Have series 2 of What We Do In The Shadows ready to go also, the first one was hilarious. Matt Berry is just a funny, funny person.
          Yup The Boys is fantasic, highly recommend the source material if you are not familiar with it already

Comment

The first wave I had to jump 3 or 4 connections away to anyone confirmed positive. This time its been a lot closer and more frequent.
            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

John Waters and Gemma O'D in new levels of idiocy. (Hard to believe but its true!)

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Well I'm a researcher as my primary role. I taught only 48 hours a year for the last three years, although a bit more now, but still less than 100 hours. But yeah she doesn't connect me to being a proper teacher, or indeed assign me the respect she does her teachers
                  Does she follow you on twitter?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Fack me!

Season 2 of the boys was excellent. Really enjoyed the music throughout. Eric Kripke sure loves a montage just like the good old Supernatural days.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                          Fack me!

Season 2 of the boys was excellent. Really enjoyed the music throughout. Eric Kripke sure loves a montage just like the good old Supernatural days.
                          Any suggestions for myself and the Mrs, we generally hide in a room a couple nights a week from the kids and get stuck into something on Netflix. Nothing Superheros like the above but anything else taken on board. Currently on Ozark which will be done next week so looking for something next.

Only really done BBad/BCSaul and a few docu-series like the F1 and aaron Hernandez etc

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                            John Waters and Gemma O'D in new levels of idiocy. (Hard to believe but its true!)
                            I'm not one to stop and watch the aftermath of an actual car crash, but as RD3 has mentioned I am a bit amazed by this one. The 5G stuff, the 'foreign shops', 'patriotism' etc. I'm old enough to remember when Waters was an o.k. journalist, though his only real claim to fame was knocking up S O'Connor, which seemed way cooler at the time.

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

As a journalist/opinion writer with the IT his modus operandi was to promulgate minority opinions wrapped up in a pseudo academic style of delivery.

At the time I assumed he was deliberately baiting the conservative readers with the intention of provoking them into actually considering alternative views.

Given his penchant for females with the intellectual rigour of the likes of Sinead & Gemma it seems he is simply a fraud whose ego craves attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post

Any suggestions for myself and the Mrs, we generally hide in a room a couple nights a week from the kids and get stuck into something on Netflix. Nothing Superheros like the above but anything else taken on board. Currently on Ozark which will be done next week so looking for something next.

Only really done BBad/BCSaul and a few docu-series like the F1 and aaron Hernandez etc
                                Always find it hard to recommend something for a couple due to two sets of different tastes.

The ones that we both really enjoyed over the last few years were Mad Men, Handmaid's Tale, The Good Place, Sex Eduction, Pose, The Stranger, Unorthodox, The Crown, Normal People, Derry Girls, Stranger Things.
                                ​

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                  52,000 new cases yesterday in the US, the highest number since 14-Aug....watch it closely.
                                  Back up to 60k cases yesterday. Daily deaths staying close to 1k a day too.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post
                                    As a journalist/opinion writer with the IT his modus operandi was to promulgate minority opinions wrapped up in a pseudo academic style of delivery.

At the time I assumed he was deliberately baiting the conservative readers with the intention of provoking them into actually considering alternative views.

Given his penchant for females with the intellectual rigour of the likes of Sinead & Gemma it seems he is simply a fraud whose ego craves attention.
                                    He used to be the highest paid journalist in Ireland. Which was amazing considering all the wrote was garbled prose.

Comment

Originally posted by DeeBrown View Post

It feels worlds away when you see the drivel that does the rounds in US media but frightening to think that those two have some semblance of an audience in Ireland.

That combined with the ability to reinforce and propagate their views so frequently and easily is just a little terrifying.

Comment

Comment

Ah fair play to him, sound thing to do.
                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Husband: "Hey Ita I'm afraid I'm going to be late, work thing"
                                            ITA: "Well I hope you remember to bring something nice for our anniversary"
                                            Husband: "Wha?? That's not for another 6 months isnt it?"
                                            ITA: "How could you possibly forget our WEDDING anniversary our RUBY wedding anniversary and me after booking us in for a lovely weekend in a fancy hotel OMG"
                                            Husband: "oh Jaysus sorry love, be right home (frantically looking for flower shop, jewelry shop, fucking anything in a fancy box shop)
                                            ITA: hangs up
                                            ITA: he he he (strokes white cat)

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                              Another early house to bite the dust?
                                              https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/bro...blin-7/4406227
                                              A friend of mine used to have the run of that building when it was owned by a crowd he did maintenance for. He lived on the third and fourth floors for a while and I used to cycle a bike around the upstairs bar on the second floor for novelty craic while drinking cans. Have been out on the roof of it on a beautiful summer evening looking down the Liffey from a fairly unique vantage point and pretty sure he discovered a dead body in the derelict site beside it, probably in the mid-00s IIRC before it was developed. Think upstairs might have been artists studios in recent years. Just saw the pics, same layout upstairs as it was back then but quite the transformation from when it was basically a semi-derelict squat upstairs. Nice.
                                              Last edited by BennyHiFi; 10-10-20, 12:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Back up to 60k cases yesterday. Daily deaths staying close to 1k a day too.
                                                Not thanking the post for propriety but this is another factor sinking Trump.

It really is a case of the captain drunk off his ass on rum and piloting the ship into a shitstorm of epic proportions. Without a map or a compass. And the crew falling victim to scurvy and frantically looking for the lifejackets.

I'll let you off your bet for €45.
                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Nearly didnt get out of a PP shop earlier. I walk in and place a bet and make to leave when I find the door is locked. I spot and press the white trip switch but no luck so I go up to the counter and theres 2 likely felons placing bets. I say through them to a teller that the door is locked and I pressed the button an all?. He said no its full were not letting anyone in. ???. But im trying to get out? and with that the manager comes in and says no theres 13 in already its full enough we cant open the door. How can you go out then?. No someone needs to leave 13 is the max and theres 13 in and we cant let anymore in im afraid he said shutting me down. I say thats all perfectly ok but I just want to get out!?. With that it dawns on him and the 2 felons and half the shop break their shit laughing!. Hes sees the funny side then and he says ah you have to press the button. I said I did press the button but the door isnt releasing. He says ah you have to keep it pressed while pulling the door!. You probably had to be there!. Think they were thinking I was angling to get someone in as it wasnt long since I came in.

I leave and go to the close by SuperValu and im just turning out of a sort of alcove in there when I see the manager coming at me with speed pushing a big fridge or something with another staff member and he bellows at me in this irrating voice he has ''Were going this way'' in a way as to say gtfo of my way like im one of his underlings. I bark back do you want me to disappear im going this way. The look of shock on his face at this rude specimen answering him back.
                                                  Im telling you ya cant leave the bleedin house without an incident.

Comment

Hadnt heard of that mad bint until recently. That fucking brain drill voice....
                                                    Sonar disrupted Dolphins floundering about in confusion 3 nautical miles off our coast.
                                                    Herds of peacefully grazing wildebeest stampeding suddenly in a mad frenzy.
                                                    Sensible lemmings who hitherto had resisted the urge to follow their brothers to their doom now leading the bonsai charge...make it stop... make it stop.

JHC

Comment

I know theres a few runners and athletics fans here. Sad to hear Pat Hooper died of a heart attack yesterday, just 68. Led a fairly interesting life. I'm sure some of the Dublin runners here may have come across him.

RIP

Patrick Hooper was an Olympian and former long-distance runner from Raheny, Dublin, Ireland. He represented Ireland in the marathon at European and Olympic level. His marathon personal best time is 2:17:46. He was the older brother of three-time Olympian and marathoner Dick Hooper.

Comment

Ej-7xGdXcAAsIZ2?format=jpg&name=900x900.jpg

Comment

1012 new covid cases here

Comment

Good to finally get to 4 figures, but still aways to go to get ahead of the Nordies.

Comment

Hairdresser Ericka Carroll from Hertfordshire received at least £5,000 a month from bookmakers Paddy Power - some £100,000 in total - to introduce VIP clients to their business.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                Good to finally get to 4 figures, but still aways to go to get ahead of the Nordies.
                                                                It's roughly the same as the USA's numbers though.

Comment

1012 new covid cases here
                                                                  There was a guy (Irish Times health editor)making a fairly convincing argument that 'number of cases' is the wrong metric to focus on. Deaths much more meaningful and they are thankfully low.

Comment

Those gambling companies do seem proper scumbaggy.
                                                                    Daily Mail, really?

Comment

There was a guy (Irish Times health editor)making a fairly convincing argument that 'number of cases' is the wrong metric to focus on. Deaths much more meaningful and they are thankfully low.
                                                                      Ah yeah, a 1000 positives now is very different from 1000 positives last April. Biggest difference imo is that the median age is now 30, when it was more than twice that in April.

Comment

Cork seems to be the new epicentre, and Cavan (proximity to border?).

Respect to the scientists anyway; this is precisely what they forecast months back. WP Zuutroph.

Comment

ICU beds in use and regular beds in use - protecting capacity in hospitals was why we flattened the curve in the first place.

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Most importantly, of those thousand people who were announced today, about three of them will die. It's kinda scary odds when you are one of those people.
                                                                                    They don't seem like scary odds to me. Mind you I'm doing a blood test on Tuesday for an inherited gene thing which significantly increases cancer risks, especially early onset, that I'm a coin flip for and I feel pretty good about the odds. Would you really be that scared of a one in 333 shot?

Comment

Comment

...
                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 10-10-20, 20:57.

Comment

Number of cases are easier to predict and manage, so thats why the focus is on them. But yeah a case now isn't the same as a case six months ago. It's not too different though.

Most importantly, of those thousand people who were announced today, about three of them will die. It's kinda scary odds when you are one of those people.
                                                                                          It's not those odds at all for those people though is it? If you have an underlying condition where something like this is what will finish you off then the odds are lower. If you are relatively healthy then the odds are much higher.
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Cases are an easy way to see how the spread is increasing but it doesn't mean much else. Is there any decent data on % of asymptomatic cases? The real numbers must be several times the reported
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Apparently the district that contains The Villages will be one of the first to finish their count on E-Day. Trump won 68% of it last time and if he falls off much from there, he's el busto in Florida (and hence nationally). So one to watch....

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                Cases are an easy way to see how the spread is increasing but it doesn't mean much else. Is there any decent data on % of asymptomatic cases? The real numbers must be several times the reported
                                                                                                How could you get that though without testing the entire population?

Comment

...

Comment

America must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate.
                                                                                                    President Eisenhower, 1960.

Comment

How could you get that though without testing the entire population?
                                                                                                      I meant % of positive cases that are asymptomatic so some sort of assumptions could be made
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

...

Comment

I gave the rate for the age group, I think? On average the US, Germany, have seen about 3% death rates from cases announced. My rate of 3 in 1000 or 0.3% is a tenth of that, as I remember reading that is the death rate for the 30-50 age group with no particular underlying conditions.
                                                                                                          The quote I saw today was 2/3 of all Irish deaths were people over 80 who also had a pre-existing condition.

For younger people without pre-existing conditions, it's the (largely still unknown) long-term effects, rather than very unlikely death, that should be scary.

Comment

Bet he's jealous of Kim Jong Uns parade

Comment

Kim

Last edited by ComradeCollie; 10-10-20, 21:30.

Comment

Well sampling obv.
                                                                                                                I read it that he wanted the true quantum but yes.

Comment

...

Comment

Ted Lasso on Apple TV+ really brings the feel good factor. You'd want to be a level 5 cynic for it not to bring a smile to your face.
                                                                                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Raoul given that you are here. As a pension man - and I realise this is not a Saturday night conversation - should I be buying years on my public pension or setting up a separate private pension? I need to do something as I only started contributing to any pension at 32 and there's a decent chance that the UK and French ones don't count. So, I've only possibly four years of reckonable service at the sprightly young age of just-turned-43. Buy years on the public scheme or set up a new private one?
                                                                                                                      Guess it all depends on your view of the future viability of public unfunded pensions.

If you're bullish on them, then buying years seems a no brainer. V surely the man to ask though!

Comment

Why would your UK and French years 'not count'?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X