Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Commitments should be on that list twice. It captured so much that watching it today evokes genuine girly (sorry HJ) nostalgia in me. A powerhouse of a movie .
    RIP to Alan Parker recently also.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

I'm contemplating a big bet too. I just can't see how Trump wins all the swing states he needs - WI, MN, FL, PA.

Especially if their covid response remains as ineffective as it has been. I think that'll be the big narrative of the election, not the current racism/mob violence (pick according to your political flavour) theme.
      Do it . He is going down spectacularly. He knows it .

Comment

Originally posted by Solksjaer! View Post

Do it . He is going down spectacularly. He knows it .
        This is precisely the kind of attitude that makes me think of keeping my money in my pocket.

Everyone underestimated him 4 years ago (except Denny tbf). And misread the American electorate. We shouldn't make the same mistakes again.
        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

This is precisely the kind of attitude that makes me think of keeping my money in my pocket.

Everyone underestimated him 4 years ago (except Denny tbf). And misread the American electorate. We shouldn't make the same mistakes again.
          Ah heeor. I bet on him both to win, and separately to win while losing the popular vote. Both bets placed after the bookies had already paid out on Clinton.
          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Not much of a musical aficionado but trying to Spotify my way to a wider appreciation. Today it's Kris Kristofferson.

Who is said to have remarked of Farah Fawcett:
            just about enough butt to keep my balls off the bed
            Probably a Trump voter.

Comment

You HAVE been watching the past few years ? Only the cult is backing him this time . The US is bleeding Biden doesnt need to make things up. The campaign could be run by a bot.

Comment

You HAVE been watching the past few years ? Only the cult is backing him this time . The US is bleeding Biden doesnt need to make things up. The campaign could be run by a bot.
                We've all been watching Solks.

With our non-American perspective...we don't have a vote. (if we did, Biden would win 538-0)
                It only matters what Americans think - and Trump only needs to persuade a couple of million of them. He has the massive advantage of incumbency. He's a slightly worse than evens shot.

Comment

Poor old Mike Sexton on the way out .

Comment

The bookies think its 50 50

Because of the electoral college advantage he has, he doesn't need to win the popular vote.

Comment

We've all been watching Solks.

With our non-American perspective...we don't have a vote. (if we did, Biden would win 538-0)
                      It only matters what Americans think - and Trump only needs to persuade a couple of million of them. He has the massive advantage of incumbency. He's a slightly worse than evens shot.
                      I've spoken to some die hard Trumpers who are disgusted with him and they say he still has support but is in for a shock . Well maybe not a shock as Trump is already rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic . I know sample size etc but I'm getting this from a few states. I'm confident hes going down BIG.

Comment

Flight of the Doves
                        Excalibur

Comment

Especially if their covid response remains as ineffective as it has been. I think that'll be the big narrative of the election, not the current racism/mob violence (pick according to your political flavour) theme.
                          Don't think the covid situation will be a negative for him at all. People seem to be comfortable for the most part with 1000 deaths a day, and most models I've looked at expect that number to continue going down for the next few weeks at least.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Shares in the California-based iPhone maker enjoyed a boost after a stock split to make it more accessible to retail investors.

Comment

Is Denny still short Tesla?

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

Don't think the covid situation will be a negative for him at all. People seem to be comfortable for the most part with 1000 deaths a day, and most models I've looked at expect that number to continue going down for the next few weeks at least.
                                  Around election time they'll be hitting the horrific figure of 1/4 a million. When you add in the lunatic soundbites from Trump the case against will be solid . 'People' are not comfortable with 1000 a day . However 1/4 a million will ring true. Hes toast . A huge % of the population are chomping at the bit to vote I cant see him not being destroyed .

Comment

Thank

Comment

Comment

Just doing some very amateur forecasting.
                                        I think Trump has 21 red states that he wins in a canter and they give him 146 EC votes.
                                        For Biden, 19 blue states and they give him 217 EC votes.

So Trump has to pick up an additional 124 votes, Biden has to get 53.

This is where I think\guess the action is:
                                        State EC Votes Lean Trump # Lean Biden # Tossup #
                                        Arizona 11 11
                                        Florida 29 29
                                        Georgia 16 16
                                        Iowa 6 6
                                        Michigan 16 16
                                        Minnesota 10 10
                                        Nevada 6 6
                                        North Carolina 15 15
                                        Ohio 18 18
                                        Texas 38 38
                                        Wisconsin 10 10
                                        TOTAL 175 78 32 65
                                        I don't really think Texas is in play but let's stick it in there for the craic.

I think it really hinges on Florida. So if you want to have a punt, consider your average Floridian.

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post
                                          Flight of the Doves
                                          Excalibur
                                          Never heard of Flight of the doves, absolutely adding it to the list!
                                          Had thought Excalibur was more British/Scottish as never appeared on my searches and I've never seen it, oops!

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
                                          '71 count?

A young British soldier (Jack O'Connell) must find his way back to safety after his unit accidentally abandons him during a riot in the streets of Belfast.

Parked (never heard of this until recently)

Fred (Colm Meaney) moves back to Ireland and lives in his car until he befriends a young man and a music teacher.

The Devil's Own (Brad Pitt's accent surely counts?)

Killing of the Sacred Deer (two leads are Irish)

Not sure of the requirements so just throwing out anything with something Irish in it that's not on your list.

Shrooms?
                                          Completely forgot about Shrooms! I even watched that years back and definitely should have remembered it.
                                          I actually have the devils own downloaded so must have missed putting it on the list, but the other 3 I have never heard of so they are very welcomed additions and much appreciated!

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                          Decent list ! A fair few i ahvent seen.

What constitutes an Irish film ? Made here, themes ?

Millers crossing, siege of jadotville, Brooklyn ?

Irish main characters ?
                                          Honestly a good few I haven't either, but am getting through them slowly. The initial plan was to have a list of good Irish movies which are either based in Ireland, or made by Irish(basically just used IFI productions for ideas). I had a list of maybe 50/60 but then took any suggestions over the years, and became more lenient as it's better to have a long list and trim it down.

The one on the list that stands out the most for me is The Secret of Roan Inish. It was a movie I had never heard of, never came up on any of my searches, and maybe 3 years into my job in a hostel here in Dublin some guest from America asked me had I ever seen it. Told her I had never even heard of it, said that her granny made her watch it as a kid and she has always loved it. Downloaded it during work and put it on in the cinema room area for her and other guests and was quite nice. I asked many older generation of Irish people after, and not one had heard of it.

I think at the end of all the suggestions I'll just look up Colm Meaney/Brendan Gleeson/Donal Gleeson/Colin Farrell/Lovehate actors and get a few random ones if possible, but any other suggestions always welcomed!

Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Everyone thought he would be beat last time, surely there's better even shots to get 4 figures on. The place is nuts, anything could happen.
                                            airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Comment

I remember on here years ago I said Speith would not only win the masters but by a huge margin. Then you got the neigh types saying 12s was a terrible bet . When you KNOW you know. No amount of whataboutery will convince me hes not going down big. Evens is HUGE .

Comment

I think you are on drugs if you are backing against Trump. He once said he could shoot someone in the head on TV and retain his popularity, he has done much much worse and and is still a flip, and decent % will be secret Trump voters . He wasnt joking. The US is more rancid and hateful than any country in the world. I dont think there is any chance he is beaten and if he is genuinely think we will see a civil war of sorts in the US.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

Lets not quote Ladbrokes!

38250GUTTRUSTER1800x1200.jpg
                                                        Lol unfortunate

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                          I think you are on drugs if you are backing against Trump. He once said he could shoot someone in the head on TV and retain his popularity, he has done much much worse and and is still a flip, and decent % will be secret Trump voters . He wasnt joking. The US is more rancid and hateful than any country in the world. I dont think there is any chance he is beaten and if he is genuinely think we will see a civil war of sorts in the US.
                                                          Who do you fancy for the masters ?

Comment

The US really do suffer from sample sizing. There are a huge % of decent people there. It's far from being the worst country in the world that's a nonsensical point. The one beside us is no better on the score you might be thinking of . The UK is a ticking timebomb . Trump has opened the door to the bad and the ugly . That can be corrected by the decent majority.

Comment

And that's maybe why the odds on Biden are so attractive! It's not a 'on the one hand, on the other hand' situation - its an aggregation of hundreds of polls that have taken account of the problems from last time.
                                                              I hope your right but far from convinced. Also betting on a market with a high possibility of interference, he will go to any lengths to win in next couple of months and with the crazy electorate it may work. Can't see biden having the same appetite to fight dirty to win.
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

The US really do suffer from sample sizing. There are a huge % of decent people there. It's far from being the worst country in the world that's a nonsensical point. The one beside us is no better on the score you might be thinking of . The UK is a ticking timebomb . Trump has opened the door to the bad and the ugly . That can be corrected by the decent majority.
                                                                Armed forces on the street say otherwise. America is in much worst shape than UK.
                                                                airport, lol

Comment

America is so binary and Trump has become major symbol of that. To not vote Trump is to become the looney marxist left you hate so much. I don't see as many switching their votes. It's a coin flip and there's no value imo
                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

I don't really think Texas is in play but let's stick it in there for the craic.

I think it really hinges on Florida. So if you want to have a punt, consider your average Floridian.
                                                                    Don't forget that it's not your average Floridian, its a very special tiny subset of people who are susceptible to swinging towards Trump despite the evidence in front of their eyes. The amount of money that is being accurately targeted at them personally is unreal and the outcome will be close despite the worst POTUS and unarguably the worst person ever to hold the office standing as an incumbent.

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Don't forget that it's not your average Floridian, its a very special tiny subset of people who are susceptible to swinging towards Trump despite the evidence in front of their eyes. The amount of money that is being accurately targeted at them personally is unreal and the outcome will be close despite the worst POTUS and unarguably the worst person ever to hold the office standing as an incumbent.

Remember that Biden is equally throwing money at the same race.

If I was an enterprising Floridian, I'd be looking to sell my vote to the highest bidder. I wonder what the $ value would be....

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post

I hope your right but far from convinced. Also betting on a market with a high possibility of interference, he will go to any lengths to win in next couple of months and with the crazy electorate it may work. Can't see biden having the same appetite to fight dirty to win.
                                                                        He's been an elected US politician for nearly 50 years, I'm sure he knows a trick or two. Or knows the people who know.

Although throwing mud at Trump seems pointless as it doesn't stick.

Comment

Was speaking to the doc a few days ago and she seemed unsure how flu vaccinations would proceed this year. I don't really get why it is complicated? Its seemingly not just a case of turning up at the doctor with everyone in tow and lining up to get a short jab each, but why isn't it that simple?
                                                                          Had a text this morning from Boots saying to book now for appointments starting October 1st. Had mine there the last few years, mainly coz there are fewer sick people hanging around the place https://www.boots.ie/vaccinations/wi...atalogId=28502

Though this sounds a bit negative

There is a limited supply of the flu vaccine this year for those who don’t fall into one of the HSE ‘at-risk’ groups. If this applies to you or if you don't have a pre-paid voucher, please contact your chosen pharmacy to check stock availability before you click on ‘Get started’ and book an appointment.
                                                                          Last edited by ComradeCollie; 02-09-20, 12:42.

Comment

Comment

Most workplaces offer the flu jab for a nominal fee now no?
                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

so now that the firing mania over a single fucking dinner has lifted, was it still a smart thing to get rid of the guy who was - every week - directly relaying Irish brexit concerns to the chief brexit negotiator in a way that no prime minister ever could hope?
                                                                                A single dinner?
                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

Did get a bill from Temple St for a hundred bucks today.

She won't be doing that again.
                                                                                  I’d be looking for my money back...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

He probably didn't even get to taste it with all the chit-chatting on the table. Have an ounce of sympathy young man.

It was a fairly fucking stupid idea to get rid of him and starkly clear from Barnier's comments. Its not like there's people walking around the country now going 'well I'd better behave myself, I've learned my lesson from Big Phil'.
                                                                                        Whos fault is that though, the peoples or big Phils? If he was so great he should have really known when and when not to be an arrogant cunt. Could have kept him in a job. The tone of his interview was appalling. Aside from ridiculously flaunting the rules because he believed he was above them. Its hard to see a scenario where he kept his job the way he acted.
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post

What were they doing with coins anyway? I resisted going cashless more than most, though I still keep a 1 and 2 yoyo coin for shopping trollies.
                                                                                          Possibly getting a bit of an edge for halloween games . I remember one halloween game Id have to dunk my head into a full basin of water to take out 10p coins with the teeth. That was an underrated tough game.
                                                                                          Raoul must have been brassed off all the same having to go into Temple street.
                                                                                          He can also look forward to receiving donation packs and legacy ideas from their foundation in the coming weeks.

Comment

And also, we dont even know who the next commissioner is but you're deciding he wont be able to communicate to Barnier in a similar fashion. I'm not going to claim to know too much about Phil Hogan prior to this, but whats the irreplaceable superpower he has I hear people talking about?
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Excellent, thanks. Booked it there now for the two adults. We were made to feel irresponsible as parents if didn't flu-vaccinate the kids in France.
                                                                                              From the HSE's Paul Reid today: 'He said he expects that the nasal spray vaccination for children, from ages 2-12 years, will be available free-of-charge from October.' https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/...virus-ireland/

Comment

...
                                                                                                Attached Files

Comment

...

Comment

How is a Phil to operate in a world where this is a popular show, and then you get invited to a feed and end up losing your job. It's mixed messages. I think its precisely because he is a bollix and an arrogant cunt that he was judged to be so good at his job. You don't go around shouting at a US trade representative that 'We've not fucking Burundi' if you are an accountant. His very skillset was his downfall.

Somebody_feed_phil.jpg
                                                                                                    I really like that show. He's unstoppably upbeat and generally good craic.

Comment

And also, we dont even know who the next commissioner is but you're deciding he wont be able to communicate to Barnier in a similar fashion. I'm not going to claim to know too much about Phil Hogan prior to this, but whats the irreplaceable superpower he has I hear people talking about?
                                                                                                      or that our actual Minister for Brexit couldn't do the same thing - whose actual job it is

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                        If twitter is anything to go by, and it probably is, then Liveline was outstanding today.
                                                                                                        are you back on your feet lad?

Comment

How is a Phil to operate in a world where this is a popular show, and then you get invited to a feed and end up losing your job. It's mixed messages. I think its precisely because he is a bollix and an arrogant cunt that he was judged to be so good at his job. You don't go around shouting at a US trade representative that 'We've not fucking Burundi' if you are an accountant. His very skillset was his downfall.

Somebody_feed_phil.jpg
                                                                                                          If his only crime was attending that dinner, i believe he would still be in a job. Isnt that the way the world works, if being a cunt is your selling point you need to be able to control your cuntness to some degree. Im still missing the superpower that makes him irreplaceable - genuine question
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Don't think anyone will have any real sympathy for Phil.

That said, that tweet reads like they had a good relationship. Barnier would be one to call it as he sees it in most cases, and ultimately, it really is all about relationships at that level, and really any level tbh.

I think it's prob reasonable to say the next commissioner is unlikely to have the same relationship with Barnier.

This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

Even money shot. Lol. Had an oxo thrown at me once
                                                                                                                Last edited by Solksjaer!; 02-09-20, 15:02.

Comment

Nancy pulls the Big Phil

The US House speaker, who has called Mr Trump a coward for not wearing a mask, claimed ignorance of rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                    Nancy pulls the Big Phil
                                                                                                                    he's not wasting any of his free time

Comment

See Sam Bennett doing well on Le Tour. Drugs obv. Anyone still follow it? Will he stay up there?
                                                                                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Even money shot. Lol. Had an oxo thrown at me once
                                                                                                                        He probably saw crocodile dundee recently
                                                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                                                          See Sam Bennett doing well on Le Tour. Drugs obv. Anyone still follow it? Will he stay up there?
                                                                                                                          Yeah I'm watching it. He will be disappointed he didn't win stage one or stage three after being in decent positions. He looked today like he was just making sure he got the green by beating Sagan to the line, if not he made an awful balls of timing his sprint. If he could snaffle a stage somewhere before the end it would be class.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X