Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this commotion about those guys at the golf dinner. If the rules had stated a 2 stroke penalty most of them wouldn't have done it
    Last edited by Solksjaer!; 24-08-20, 12:58.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

@Hitch I ave just discovered French tacos are a thing, and appear to be a great after pint snack, can you confirm they are great?
          airport, lol

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hey folks been awhile since I've checked in hope everybody has been keeping well

As the majority of you will know I found photography through doing live updates on IPB and been fortunate to have worked steady for the last number of years, I had some worked lined up for the year but Covid put the kibosh on the world. I'm not sure when live poker events are going to be on the go for me over the next while. I've reached out to a few people privately about trying to stay in the poker world be it in customer service or whatnot.

It's been years since I've done up a CV or even had to interview, does Richie still post here often? Is he still in recruitment?

I should've really diversified myself from poker events and I'm not too sure trying to pivot to something else in the middle of a pandemic is the right time. If anybody has any tips or pointers, help, whatever please do drop me a line.
              "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

I still think you're missing the practical point here (I'm repeating myself a bit, but I really hate all this tabloidisation of society). If you turn up at a hotel function and your thought is 'hmm, I didn't think this was allowed at all', your second thought, guaranteed, is 'oh well I presume someone has checked and its fine'. You don't walk into a room with 90 people seated and 20 waiters hired and think "you're all making a terrible mistake" and then turn tail and leave. Thats just not how we work as social animals. No one, literally no-one, would be like that. There's blame on the organiser, there's blame on the hotel, there's just simply not blame on the individual invitees. No-one is reasonably expected to wonder if every building they walk into is abiding by the safety codes and then be held responsible if the building has fucked up. So we're really talking about canceling people's livelihoods for not abiding by a standard that no-one would realistically abide by.
                First thought is

I dint think this is allowed so better be careful here

Second thought should be..

Think I will do a count of the number of people on the seating chart..hmmm...about 80...not good

Third thought
                It's a clear breach of safety rules which have just been made public. I should make my excuses and leave as it's not safe and I dont really want to take a chance of catching Covid and passing it on family or friends etc or even I should make my excuses and leave as it ever got out I would look really bad for attending.

This is what leaders should do, they lead by example and should have the cop on and judgement and the strength of character to go "I dont think this is safe so I am going to pass"

This isn't some private individual making a mistake its a public representative and the damage done by this is far far greater as it has and will be perceived as a them and us attitude.

There will be x % of the population who will just go fuck it I'm having a party or whatever or wont bother wearing a mask on the bus etc = more deaths ultimately.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Well maybe not. Maybe the general public will close the them and us gap and also give up their jobs if they breach any regulations. No mask in the supermarket? Give up your banking job. It's not really about the same standards its about much higher standards. The general public are told to cop on if they make a mistake, public servants are told to make themselves unemployed. If we want to close the gap between them and us we should hold ourselves to the same standards as we hold them.
                      They are in a position of far greater power than the average citizen so their actions or inaction have far greater consequences than me seeing my neighbour not wearing a mask.

Comment

Old joke but resurfaced .

. We didnt have a lot of money but my dad gave a lot of money to sick animals . He didnt know they were sick until after he backed them

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by dinekes View Post

They are in a position of far greater power than the average citizen so their actions or inaction have far greater consequences than me seeing my neighbour not wearing a mask.
                            the word you are looking for is 'leadership'. Possibly adding the phrase 'by example'.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Covered that in original post I think.

Comment

Its not really 'far greater power', is it, if making a simple mistake means you lose your job because people on twitter have demanded it? You and me have far greater power than that - in that we wouldn't lose our jobs if we did something like that - as its against employment protection laws.
                                But it wasnt just a simple or unimportant mistake was it.

We have been in lockdown for months, businesses closed, jobs lost, sacrifices made.

They should lose their powerful public representative position because they showed either an arrogant disregard for the rules or appalling lack of judgement in a time when it is most critically important that they show leadership (by example) and good judgement, not because Twitter demanded it.

Literally critically important.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

You've just made me realise that eoghan104 hasn't been seen here since his Cheltenham covid episode. Anyone know if he is OK?
                                  I am still alive and in lockdown in Kildare! Since last week the urge to comply with the Kildare lockdown is low though and I have been to Dublin for golf a few times.

It is interesting to hear the stories of long term affects of Covid. I was right as rain after a couple of days helped I think by a dose of steroids my doctor friend sent me. Since then I have noticed some issues.

1. Loss of sense of smell. This is an odd one as it is only in certain circumstances. I haven't noticed anything around taste or smelling food. I can no longer smell (I have to be crude here) farts or shites! It is the maddest thing. My own or somebody elses. The wife would be nearly jumping out the window with the smell and I smell nothing. It might sound like I am making light of it but it's crazy and I can't explain it. She also has this special air dispenser smelly yoke that I can no longer smell.

2. When I speak for a long time my voice goes ridic croaky. In my job I do a lot of presentations for potential clients that are two hours long. Never an issue before and now they are torture. By the end I am struggling big time and though there is no pain associated it's very annoying.

3. General out of breath feeling. I am no runner or gym goer but I've noticed my breathing affected on say a hilly golf course when I woudn't have had a problem before. My mate that was affected worse than me and was sick for a week has been badly hit with the breathlessness/lung capacity. He was as fit as anyone I know and would go on long runs and all that. He says now he basically can't go for any reasonable length run since Covid.

We are just hoping this will pass but as mentioned above no one knows. Anyone that is saying this is a common cold or flu is mistaken. I have been as pissed off as anyone with this golf dinner debacle and the message it sends out to everyone. Fully agree that heads should roll because they are either too stupid to do the job or arrogant cunts.

Comment

Quite the comprehensive wikipedia page already for the golf scandal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oireac...ociety_scandal
                                    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Gave that kmwine crew a spin. Pleasantly surprised to see free, next day delivery and no sign of any exchange rate rapeage or indeed duty. ty GAB

Still no Tar magic French site though.

Comment

Could maybe GAB run the odds book on which heartless fucker will be insensitive enough to point out the incongruence of starting a post talking about personally breaking quarantine to play golf and then ending the post by saying that people who broke quarantine to play golf should be fired?
                                          Think you just did that
                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post

It's possible to search how many times derivatives of that word have been used on this site, and it's never been by me. I took it as him representing a flailing wind-up toy, someone flustered under pressure. He's been doing that for years. No one made reference to the impressions when they related to himself, a flustered Ted Cruz or generals.

Look how the association worked, the headline is Trump mocks disabled reporter, people make that association in their head, assume the disability and assume that that's what Trump was mocking. I'd imagine no one assumed that he had arthrogryposis. Take away the reporter, and the association stays, in people's heads he was mocking cerebral palsy. Trump certainly isn't doing himself any favours, but I think his motives and intentions are far less vindictive and dark than you're assuming. I think it's just another McGuirk effect, your priors determine your interpretation of the event far more than the actual event does.

Nah, not buying that. You show that clip out of context to any 100 reasonable people and a huge majority will see a clear impression of spasticity or palsy.
                                            Remember that insightful Penn Jillete interview where he talked about him never ever laughing in any context except when laughing at or mocking someone.

Interesting interview with Newt Gingrich today on R4, I missed bits of it but the thrust appeared to be more or less the line I they will be holding to is that character doesn't matter as long as the stock market is ticking ever upwards he's the man for the job.
                                            Last edited by Strewelpeter; 24-08-20, 15:35.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Gave that kmwine crew a spin. Pleasantly surprised to see free, next day delivery and no sign of any exchange rate rapeage or indeed duty. ty GAB

it's beer offering seem akin to rapeage
                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by ComradeCollie View Post
                                                Quite the comprehensive wikipedia page already for the golf scandal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oireac...ociety_scandal
                                                A few names there that you'd have to be disappointed with showing up at any club that Noel Grealish is captain of

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  Hitch I admire your commitment to what is a completely crazy take. Don't forget he nipped back to Kildare and was caught texting and driving all on the same crime spree!
                                                  Nipping into Kildare to pick up items for work isn't any breach of the letter or the spirit of the regulations.

Not having bluetooth and voice to text working while being someone in the public eye that could do without being pulled up for it and it inevitably making the papers is just monumentally stupid and careless.

Comment

Good article on how blockchain remains, a decade of hype later, a solution waiting for a problem

https://thecorrespondent.com/655/blo...99980-95473476

Comment

All the other delivery people give you a two hour slot on the day of delivery, but An Post sent me a text this morning saying my parcel would be with me 'in the next two days'.
                                                      I'll assume you mean delivery companies in France? Received an email today from DPD at 13.27, telling my package would be delivered between 13.25 and 14.25. The package had arrived before the email was sent.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sean O'Rourke paying the price now too

Comment

Enda Kenny seems to be the only one there with a functioning brain in his head.

I wonder what Kayroo's take on Seamus Woulfe is here?

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                Hey folks been awhile since I've checked in hope everybody has been keeping well

As the majority of you will know I found photography through doing live updates on IPB and been fortunate to have worked steady for the last number of years, I had some worked lined up for the year but Covid put the kibosh on the world. I'm not sure when live poker events are going to be on the go for me over the next while. I've reached out to a few people privately about trying to stay in the poker world be it in customer service or whatnot.

It's been years since I've done up a CV or even had to interview, does Richie still post here often? Is he still in recruitment?

I should've really diversified myself from poker events and I'm not too sure trying to pivot to something else in the middle of a pandemic is the right time. If anybody has any tips or pointers, help, whatever please do drop me a line.
                                                                Story cunt?

Comment

Comment

Did you buy/pay in GBP or in EUR?

Anything decent picked up or lots of 'Tuesday' wine?

Comment

Two things of potential interest to other people thinking of doing the same:

- Signed up to DropChef.com to trial whether their 'we prep, you cook' menus are worth it. Cuts out having to prep three meals a week, upgrades the meal's taste level significantly, but at a cost of about €25 a meal. Tonights meal is a delicious sounding 'Vietnamese meatballs with shredded carrot and sesame rice noodles'.

- Agreed to pay this guy €125 to recommend the best health insurance policy to take out. There's 300+ health insurance policies, so I'm guessing he will easily save the money in the first month or two based on his insights.
                                                                      That's making me hungry..drool
                                                                      I have leftover Bolognese to look forward to.(which reminds me I need some pasta)

Comment

Originally posted by Lao Lao View Post

Did you buy/pay in GBP or in EUR?

Anything decent picked up or lots of 'Tuesday' wine?
                                                                        Tuesday\Wednesday wine. Check that out and see what it's like before I get more adventurous.

edit; paid in EUR, seemed to be pretty much the same as the GBP price
                                                                        Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 24-08-20, 17:39.

Comment

Two things of potential interest to other people thinking of doing the same:

- Signed up to DropChef.com to trial whether their 'we prep, you cook' menus are worth it. Cuts out having to prep three meals a week, upgrades the meal's taste level significantly, but at a cost of about €25 a meal. Tonights meal is a delicious sounding 'Vietnamese meatballs with shredded carrot and sesame rice noodles'.

- Agreed to pay this guy €125 to recommend the best health insurance policy to take out. There's 300+ health insurance policies, so I'm guessing he will easily save the money in the first month or two based on his insights.
                                                                          If I'm paying €60+ plus euro a week they better do a fuck lot better than
                                                                          chicken goujons and sweet potato fries

given the type of company they and their lack of social media updates on any of their platforms, I'd be worried your custom menu amounts to any more than a lad running around aldi and pocketing the difference at this stage.
                                                                          Last edited by DeadParrot; 24-08-20, 18:22.
                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak

Nipping in? He's been living in the K Club for the last several weeks. I don't know how it's been kept under wraps but I presume it'll be in the news before long.
                                                                            His line is that he was out of there before lockdown and has been residing elsewhere since...His google location history would make interesting reading

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

His line is that he was out of there before lockdown and has been residing elsewhere since...His google location history would make interesting reading
                                                                                I sense your support for Big Phil may be wavering?

Comment

Has a good run there now a nice bolognese to tuck into (always tastes a bit better the second day)

A few glasses of red to wash it down.

Some dark choc after.

Luxury

Comment

Good article on how blockchain remains, a decade of hype later, a solution waiting for a problem

It's really not a good article. He has one good point and many bad. It's the equivalent of asking PSV his thoughts on AI. He doesn't even mention Defi.

Comment

It was decent today whatever it is. Very nice idea about mixing through shredded carrots and roasted almonds and sesame oil through the noodles. I'll update in a few weeks to see if it runs out of steam. Might well do.

They're very generous with the portions anyway, so you should easily enough get two dinners out of one dinner (you'd at least get the two adult lunches from it). Makes it very cost effective if that holds up. We'd normally work out around 20+ for even an ordinary meal due to wastage and forgetting stuff needs to be cooked at a particular time. Maybe that's just our failing though.

The wife reviewed loads of them on the Internet and that was the only one that made sense. Not sure what her grading criteria was!
                                                                                      Is this the same wife who didn't book the removal men?

I presume that €25 covers the cost of dinner for the full family of 4? Even at that, it seems a little on the expensive side but I guess it ultimately comes down to what you are willing to pay for convenience, although a lot of the cooking times seem to show 30 minutes which is probably all I'd spend during the week cooking from scratch, unless it's something that is just sitting in the oven cooking for longer as I'm off doing something else

We have a simple trick to help cut food waste. We have a magnetic eraser board (like the one linked below) stuck to the fridge door and when we get back from the weekly shop, we write the use by dates of each main item for dinner on it (Beef 26th, Fish 27th, Chicken 28th, etc) so every time you go to the fridge to cook, you know what order you should be eating. Don't think we've had to throw anything out since we stated using it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Home-So...30143110&psc=1

Comment

Confirmed. Wasted six months of this year working on a blockchain project. Experienced unprecedented levels of spoofery/naivety, primarily from the shareholders in the project.

Did get to work closely with IBM mind you which was interesting in many respects, even if they are among the misguided peddlars of this technology which, frankly, nobody really needs unless you consider the entertainment value of speculation a relevant use case (which, incidentally, I'm fine with).

Comment

...

Comment

I see Sue Denham is being dragged in to judge The Judge.

Hard to see how politicians and broadcasters have to fall on their sword here but EU Commissioners and judges do not.

Comment

...

Comment

I sense your support for Big Phil may be wavering?
                                                                                                I've no skin in it, never been a fan of him, operates too much like a FF'r for my liking but I do think it would be insane to give up the power he has in his current position.

Is there a market on whether he survives or not?

Comment

I've no skin in it, never been a fan of him, operates too much like a FF'r for my liking but I do think it would be insane to give up the power he has in his current position.

Is there a market on whether he survives or not?
                                                                                                  Ha, I was looking on PP but nothing.

If he goes, he goes quick imo. Like by the end of the week.

Comment

Or maybe we shouldn't have started on something stupid in the first place, and just went with the common sense thing of blaming the organisers who would be assumed to have dealt with all of this stuff. If we stick with it then we'll hopefully get the waiters to resign next. Given, of all people, they should know the rules. Maybe the fishermen who caught the salmon for the salmon darnes. Thems the rules of the baying mob.
                                                                                                    Give us your take on Calleary's insta-resignation.

Comment

Just read a wonderfully succinct summary of sports spectators:

unfit drunks swearing at professional athletes
                                                                                                      Guilty as charged.

Comment

...

Comment

Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder of the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-08-20, 22:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                            Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder ofThat%27s_a_paddlin%27.png the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                                                                            Dance classes in a pandemic eh

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post

It's really not a good article. He has one good point and many bad. It's the equivalent of asking PSV his thoughts on AI. He doesn't even mention Defi.
                                                                                                              I find your blockchain /bitcoin faith hilarious considering you are a hardcore atheist

Comment

Seinfeld’s still got it

But one thing I know for sure: The last thing we need in the thick of so many challenges is some putz on LinkedIn wailing and whimpering, “Everyone’s gone! I want 2019 back!”

Oh, shut up. Imagine being in a real war with this guy by your side.

Listening to him go, “I used to play chess all day. I could meet people. I could start any type of business.” Wipe your tears, wipe your butt and pull it together.

He says he knows people who have left New York for Maine, Vermont, Tennessee

, Indiana

. I have been to all of these places many, many, many times over many decades. And with all due respect and affection, Are .. You .. Kidding .. Me?!

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post

Dance classes in a pandemic eh
                                                                                                                  More like synchronised hiphop kinda stuff than traditional with a partner stuff, so about 2 metres from each other anyway. Doubt I got it, let's see how this ages

Comment

If you turn up at a hotel function and your thought is 'hmm, I didn't think this was allowed at all', your second thought, guaranteed, is 'oh well I presume someone has checked and its fine'. You don't walk into a room with 90 people seated and 20 waiters hired and think "you're all making a terrible mistake" and then turn tail and leave. That's just not how we work as social animals. No one, literally no-one, would be like that.
                                                                                                                    I think there is one issue that you are missing Hitch, and it's quite an important one. This wasn't an industry event, awards night, charity auction or similar event organised by a third party where these individuals are simply attendees. This was a society event, attended predominately by the society. Nobody walked in and said "oh well I presume the organisers have checked". They were the organizers., they knew they didn't check, they also knew very quickly that it wasn't meeting standards.
                                                                                                                    As with anything designed by committee there are huge amounts of communication before hand. And there are two scenarios, one of which had to happen. Either somebody raised the issue if Covid, and they collectively said fuck it, that's for plebs. Or they obliviously didn't even think to raise it, which is arguable worse.
                                                                                                                    I understand how these situations snowball, and how individuals can make bad decisions in the moment. But aside for the covid risks involved they should have been some consideration of perception. But it were you or I, we both know that it's not going to make the paper. But room full of politicians, should really be aware of how it would look if it got out.

Comment

Found out that two of the girls in my dance class last Tuesday tested positive for Covid but I am not sure when they got their symptoms, as 48 hours before is a close contact. I don''t know if I'm a close contact, nobody contacted me anyway. If I get a test now and it is negative, if I'm not a close contact I'ma free man, if I am a close contact I still isolate for the remainder of the 14 days, so would be nice to know! Still, I've cancelled everything and am stuck at home now.
                                                                                                                      Hope it's a negative. I was reading Eoghans post I dread catching the thing . Maybe only do the classes outdoors . I was on a bootcamp but they moved it indoors due to weather. I left .

Comment

Usain Bolt has tested positive. Have to imagine he'll be grand as he'd be one of your healthier types. Hitch will be waiting for him to resign from something https://www.msn.com/en-au/sports/mor...ty/ar-BB18k874

'Happy birthday. Hope you like covid!'
                                                                                                                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 25-08-20, 06:41.

Comment

I'd say book a GP consult on your health insurance and see if they put you forward for a test. Last week I know of a guy who had to wait 3-4 days for results. The contact tracing was hit and miss in terms of follow up. You're pretty much housebound until a negative test or 14 days.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X